Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 5:00pm

Ratchet & Clank: QForce – New Details Revealed

QForce - Balkai_02

Hey everyone,

Our team of veteran Insomniacs in North Carolina has been hard at work developing Ratchet & Clank: QForce, and today I’m happy to share new details surrounding Ratchet & Clank‘s latest adventure.

Ratchet & Clank: QForce heads back to the classic camera, weapons and third-person Ratchet gameplay that the series has been known for while adding in a brand new tower defense element that’ll have you building and defending a base against invasions using your ultimate Ratchet & Clank arsenal. This new twist, added to the classic Ratchet gameplay, brings a whole new level of strategy and decision-making to QForce. You’ll want to make sure your hoverboots are laced up and ready as you race to defeat your enemy while keeping your base secure. Wait… hoverboots don’t have laces…

QForce - Korgon_02Balkai_07

In Ratchet & Clank: QForce, our heroes face a new nemesis – one who has a nasty surprise planned for Captain Qwark. You’ll be able to choose between playing as Ratchet, Clank and Captain Qwark and then confront an alien army across five levels set on three different planets. The game allows you and a friend to play together with either split-screen or online cooperative gameplay.

In addition, QForce will offer a ton of replay value, including an online mode we’ll reveal later, as well as loads of upgrades, extra character skins and unlockable content. We wanted to share the first screenshots of the game with you here.

QForce - Balkai_04QForce - Balkai_03

Everyone here is very excited to bring Ratchet & Clank: QForce to you this autumn. In the meantime, if you want to refresh your memory on how it all started, check out the Ratchet and Clank Trilogy that just released this June.

That’s all for now. There’ll be much more to come from Ratchet & Clank this summer and autumn as we celebrate Ratchet’s 10th Anniversary! As always, for the latest news, be sure to like Insomniac Games on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

31 Comments 2 Author replies
Show oldest first
KC-alpha-14 18 July, 2012 @ 5:07 pm   1

James, now look what you’ve done! I’ve got drool all over my computer screen. Humph.

Carnivius_Prime 18 July, 2012 @ 5:09 pm   2

I love Ratchet & Clank although that ‘tower defense’ bit has me worried as that’s a genre (if you can call it that) I generally find incredibly repetitive and tedious. As long as there’s plenty classic R&C gameplay in there though I’ll be buying.

Erica Doddato 18 July, 2012 @ 5:18 pm

Hi Carnivius_Prime,

I can assure there’ll be plenty of classir Ratchet & Clank mayhem!
    So don’t worry:-)

Erica

Not gonna lie, reading the words “tower defence” as made me a tad skeptical. Hopefully we’ll get some in depth information or a video showing off these elements to put my mind at ease soon.

Erica Doddato 18 July, 2012 @ 5:19 pm

Indeed you’ll get some sneak peek soon and I’m sure you’ll be satisfied. A true fan of platform gaming you are, SKELLY7! (I’m the PM on Sly Cooper^^)

TirianticoreZA 18 July, 2012 @ 5:17 pm   4

I was super excited then I read “PSN”. Rather remake Ratchet Gladiator in the Crack In Time engine!

I love Ratchet and Clank, even All 4 One, but quest for booty was the worst game in the series in my opinion.

It was short and felt like a quick cash-in.

CoolRichy008UK 18 July, 2012 @ 5:22 pm   5

15 levels hmm this wont be like the 1st ever R&C game

andrewsqual 18 July, 2012 @ 5:25 pm   6

Same here don’t like the way it says you can pick either character suggesting there isn’t much story to the game on where you are going and more like its just Skirmish levels.

@TirianticoreZA. Lol Quest for Booty retailed for only €14.99 and at that time was one of the largest sized Downloadable games ever at its release. It was about 4 to 5 hours long and was out only 7 months after the Ratchet game before it.
Halo ODST was the comparison on the “other” console at the time and was a complete rip off. 2 years to make, 4 hour campaign and full price game and still came on a easily scratchable DVD (although that is a bad point to me for every single 360 game ever released lol, nothing wrong with dvd itself, just putting dvds inside that console in general).

Dr-abdulelah 18 July, 2012 @ 5:35 pm   7

i hope see answer for this Q
any chance to see Ratchet & Clank on ps vita

ChazzH69 18 July, 2012 @ 5:35 pm   8

Looking forward to this game, and I’m glad it’s being called Q-Force here and not the US name of ‘Full Frontal Assault’. (lol)

Silent_Gig 18 July, 2012 @ 5:36 pm   9

I know this might be a bit off-topic, but im playing Sly Coops right now and im wondering will we get a demo for the new sly soon?

Also, i almost forgot about Qforce @_@ cant wait to try this, it sounds very interesting!

I didn’t had a good feeling about this game.
Now, with the new info about “choosing a character” and “tower defence” my feeling went down the drain. That is NOT what I want to play, I want a full blown, story driven game without all the fluff. Please don’t kill this wondefull franchise.

residentSteve 18 July, 2012 @ 5:44 pm   11

Why does ratchet look different? & why is clank not on his back I didn’t play all for one becuase it was multiplayer but may play it if we get it for free on ps plus.

I can’t wait!:P
But i still would love another full R&C(PS3 only) game one day;) I just can’t get enough of R&C games really, i just LOVE’EM!!!;)

SKELLY7 18 July, 2012 @ 5:59 pm   13

Thanks for the quick response Erica. From what I’m hearing (reading) the tower defence elements are starting to seem intriguing actually. It’s in no way a Pixeljunk Monsters TD game just but takes some queues from that type of genre. I’ll be eagerly awaiting this sneak peek now.

Oh, and another thank you very much for the kind compliment! I’ll keep my Sly fanboying for a sly related post.

fjernbetjening 18 July, 2012 @ 5:59 pm   14

I didn’t like it, when I heard the term “fun-sized” in the last post about this game, and I don’t like the sound of “PSN adventure”, “tower defense” or “choose character”.

Listen, Insomniac games, we want a full, story-driven game, with all the things we love about the Ratchet & Clank franchise. The only thing I’ve heard about this game, that I’ve actually liked, is “3rd Person Mode”. Out of the 5 games realeased on the PS3 containing Ratchet and Clank, (Tools Of Destruction, Quest For Booty, A Crack In Time, Playstation Move Heroes, All-4-One), Only Tools Of Destruction, and A Crack In Time have lived up to the series’ name.

I really hope we will see a FULL-LENGTH, 3rd Person Ratchet & Clank game, live up to it’s predecessors soon.

xMovingTarget 18 July, 2012 @ 7:22 pm   15

nice <3

CoolRichy008UK 18 July, 2012 @ 8:01 pm   16

WE WANT

1 FULL SIZED GAME
2 NO TOWER DEFENCE
3 MORE LEVELS THEN 15

this game is gonna flop bigger then a babys nappy honestly i could make a better R&C game out of my butt hole

no onder this game will suck

genaralmojo 18 July, 2012 @ 8:02 pm   17

short game like quest for booty? meh

CoolRichy008UK 18 July, 2012 @ 8:32 pm   18

ye that wat i was thinkin number 17

CoolRichy008UK 18 July, 2012 @ 8:32 pm   19

this game is now called ratchet and clank short forse

weld-it 18 July, 2012 @ 9:01 pm   20

This R&C is going to be rubbish. First three game were great, spent many hours playing them but after that all downhill. :-(

Juhal_1234 18 July, 2012 @ 9:22 pm   21

i don’t mind 4-5 hours fun sized games as they’re great
(Journey, Thatgamecompany HELLO? NEGATIVE PEOPLE,)
i just hope they’ll be online 6 v 6 multiplayer with ratchet and clank up your arsenal gameplay style.
also, since it’s called qforce…..SKRUNCH, SKIDD, HELGA, BIG AL & SASHA are they going to be in the game? or at least an background appearance? & where is clank on ratchets back, ratchet and CLANK

& lastly GOOD LUCK INSOMNIAC NORTH CAROLINA

Don’t listen to the haters. I’ve been playing R&C since release day on PS2, I’ve played and enjoyed ALL the games since and this will be no exception. People need to be a bit open minded. This is awesome news! I hope it’s like Dungeon Defenders, that game had endless replayability. All this needs now is a 4-player mode, please!

haters, GTFO.

I’m lookin’ forward to this, and trust Insomniac to deliver the goods, they haven’t let me down yet – keep up the great work Insomniacs :).

nextbigthing91 19 July, 2012 @ 9:57 am   24

I mean… Tower Defence. Really guys?
Other than that it sounds pretty good.

funkydan 19 July, 2012 @ 10:13 am   25

Any chance we will see the return of the awesome Preadtor Launcher weapon please? If not in this game, maybe in the next please?

CoolRichy008UK 19 July, 2012 @ 11:16 am   26

weld-it and others i think they should scrap the tower defence because its in Assasins creed brohood and i didnt like that and i think they should go look at the 1st 3 games and make the same about of levels

misses Erica Doddato listen to us fans plz

1 NO TOWER DEFENCE – people wont like this
2 more exploring – hidden bolts etc
3 more then 15 levels – like about 30

i hope sony puts R&C tools & crack on ps store as well

Will it be ~60 fps like ToD and ACIT?

fjernbetjening 19 July, 2012 @ 12:51 pm   28

@supvic (#22)

It’s not because we’re not open minded, or that we’re not going to give it a chance, we’re just being realistic here.

A Crack In Time was very different from most other games in the series, but it was still one of the best games in the series, and I didn’t hesitate to preorder it, despite all the differences.

But honestly, “tower defence”, “choose character”, and “fun-sized” are these the terms you want to hear, when talking about Ratchet & Clank? I would rather hear terms like “story-driven”, “exploration-filled”, and “CRAZY FRICKEN’ GUNS!”

I will still give this new game a chance, and probably buy it, but there’s no way I’ll enjoy it as much as “Going Commando”, “Tools Of Destruction”, and “A Crack In Time”. Not even close.

MonkD13 19 July, 2012 @ 1:49 pm   29

Ek sien op aner websites praat hulle van Full Frontal Assault, as die naam vani nuwe R&C game. Ma hie se James dis QForce. Ek weeti mooi ni, ek like meer R&C:FFA.

Ma ja, dis seke hulle keuse. Ekt ali R&C games al gespeel & di laaste 1 het BAIE gesuck, regtig dit wasi grootste pot stront OOIT!

Stonesthrow 20 July, 2012 @ 3:59 am   30

Classic camera, weapons and third-person Ratchet and co op? Well that just sounds like the best of both worlds. All4One was still enjoyable but nowhere near as cool as the regular games. Big fan of co op but the fixed camera made it a different experience. Very relieved to hear that this will go back to the classic gameplay, and also include co op, which was pretty much the highlight of All4One. So yea, best of both worlds the way I see it.

untdasrebel 22 July, 2012 @ 6:22 pm   31

I’m going to pretty much agree with everyone else here.

All 4 One was not very good at all, and although you have moved closer to the old formula, you still don’t have Clank riding on Ratchet, it doesn’t sound like it will be very story-driven and I didn’t see any new weapons on the screenshots. I’m also sceptical about the tower-defense.

The games worked fine before co-op was so heavily emphasised. I’d much prefer a single-player adventure with new weapons, a good story and no risky new features like the tower defense game.

Why fix what isn’t broke?