Posted 1 August

‘Heads-Up’ PlayStation Plus Update – 1st August 2012

Twinkle twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are…Yes, never has a nursery rhyme terrified so many.

From today until 5th September (that’s five weeks this time) all our PlayStation Plus subscribers will be able to download Dead Space 2 as part of their subscription.

And with that, let’s roll film…

Special thanks go out to EA Games for their support in bringing this fantastic blend of action and survival horror to our members.

Engineer Isaac Clarke returns for the sequel to the critically acclaimed Dead Space. After waking from a coma in a massive space city known as The Sprawl, the lone survivor of a horrific alien infection finds himself confronting a catastrophic new nightmare. Not only that but he’s also battling dementia, is being hunted by the government and is haunted by visions of his dead girlfriend.

And what where would we be without a massive 50% off all the associated DLC for our Game of the Month? For the next two weeks you can grab the ‘Severed’ expansion, and three extra special weapons and suit packs for Dead Space 2 at half price. Simply pick up any of them you like when you go to claim your game from the Plus section on the Store.

Not played the original Dead Space? May I suggest you pick it up from the Store if you’d like to visit Isaac’s earlier adventure? Alternatively, in the Trailers section you’ll find a video to help you catch up on the Dead Space story events prior to Dead Space 2.

BUT WAIT! There’s more…

As some of you already know, I have promised you all some exciting extras this month and the first of these comes in the shape of a game brand new to SCEE PlayStation StoreRock of Ages from Atlus.

A rock-solid combination of rock-rolling action, deep strategy, and captivating art and music from different ages of history, this is a game of crush or be crushed! Two castles stand opposed; one is yours, the other is your enemy’s. They’re jerks and their castle sucks, so you’re going to try to smash it using an enormous boulder. Even as they build up their defenses, you’re ready to roll over them in order to raze that unsightly tower. But beware! There’s a giant boulder headed your way, too.

KEY_IMAGE_FRE_391174_THUMBIMGRock of Ages is available at no-cost for the next four weeks (until 29th August) and is not part of the usual rotation for Plus members – it’s an added extra for all our subscribers this August. That means come the mid-month update you still have two more fantastic titles to grab for Your Instant Game Collection.

And that’s not the end of it! There’s EVEN more to come, including extra value especially for Plus members on Andy’s fantastic Summer special offers, launch discounts on a selection of new titles and a few more special bits and pieces to come to light later in the month.

I will be back on 15th August, during gamescom 2012 with two more games for Your Instant Game Collection to replace Darksiders and Renegade Ops, both of which have only two weeks left as part of YIGC.

I’ll also have a launch date for the very first of our PlayStation Plus Presents indie titles, Retro/Grade!

See you in the comments…

Don’t forget the nine other fantastic games available to download for PlayStation Plus subscribers.

Darksiders (83)

Deceived bydarksiders_thumb the forces of evil into prematurely bringing about the end of the world, War – the first Horseman of the Apocalypse – stands accused of breaking the sacred law by inciting a war between heaven and hell. Dishonored and stripped of his powers, War must return to Earth to search for the truth and punish those responsible.

Darksiders will be available until 15th August 2012
ONLY TWO WEEKS LEFT!

Renegade Ops (80)

Renegade Ops is the most explosive experience on PSN. Control five different vehicles on land and air, each with unique abilities in stunning environments. Power up your skills for the ultimate in destruction. Play alone or team up offline wRenegade_Ops_PVWIMGith two player split screen and experience the chaos of four-player online co-op with your friends.

Renegade Ops will be available until 15th August 2012
ONLY TWO WEEKS LEFT!

Outland (83)

In the middle of Balance and Chaos, now stands one man whose efforts may bridge the ancient divide, or doom the world to destruction. The award-winning studio Housemarque, maker of Super Stardust HD, has created an ambitious plOutland_PVWIMGatformer inspired by epic adventures such as the Prince of Persia series. Each player’s adventure will take him between light and darkness and force him to adapt to an ever-changing world.

Outland will be available until 12th September 2012

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD (82)

In the dOddworld+Strangers+Wrath+HD+FULL+GAME_PVWIMGusty, undeveloped wastelands of Western Mudos, cantankerous townsfolk find their settlements besieged by belligerent outlaws. Along comes Stranger, a tall, dark and enigmatic bounty hunter with a mission to capture troublemakers and scoundrels and return them to civilized townships for incarceration. But Stranger is keeping a secret and needs expensive surgery to survive. In his quest to earn enough Moolah, Stranger reluctantly accepts the ultimate bounty from the owner of the Mongo River and suddenly his adventure takes a very different turn.

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD will be available until 12th September 2012

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (84)

With Lara CrLaraCroftandtheGuardianOfLight_TRIAL_PVWIMGoft and the Guardian of Light, enjoy a classic formula of combat, exploration, puzzles, and breathtaking visuals in this fast-paced arcade experience. Team up with a friend or go at it alone as you traverse and solve deadly traps, fight hordes of undead enemies, and collect dozens of weapons, artifacts and relics.

Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light will be available until 10th October 2012

Saints Row 2 (82)

Saints Saints+Row_PVWIMGRow 2 brings true freedom to open-world gaming. Players can play as who they want and how they want. Limitless customization, multiplayer co-op, competitive multiplayer, killer combat and vehicles are just a few of the features that make Saints Row 2 the most over the top sandbox in gaming.

Saints Row 2 will be available until 10th October 2012

inFamous 2 (83)

When Empire City comes under attack from a mysterious creature known only as “The Beast”, not even the electric super powers of Cole MacGrinFamous2 thumb.IMGath can save the town from complete destruction. Battered and defeated, Cole finds himself fleeing towards the southern U.S. city of New Marais in search of a way to overcome this powerful new nemesis. Playing as Cole, explore the vast, decaying metropolis of New Marais and form relationships with the good people of the city, or side with their corrupt counterparts.

Available all year round.

Motorstorm Apocalypse (77)

Test your bottle and your reflexes as you hit the streets of a crumbling city in 40 nerve-shattering races. Take your chances against the apocalypse in 13 awesome vehicle classes, from rocket-powered Superbikes and lightning-fast RaMSA_DIGITAL_EDITION_Thumbnail_EU_PVWIMGlly Cars, to formidable Monster Trucks and fearsome Big Rigs. Create your own online race events for up to 16 players, customise and share thousands of vehicles and unlock tons of perks and rewards to smash the opposition and climb the global leaderboards.

Available all year round.

LittleBigPlanet 2 (91)

Download LittleBigPlanet 2 and take your Sackboy on an adventure packed with clever tools, quirky characters and loads of multiplayer fun. Get creative and build absolutely anything you can imagine, from shoot-’em-ups and racing LBP_digital+version+full+game+thumb_PVWIMGgames to your very own movies and music. Then share your unique creations online with the rest of the LittleBigPlanet community. There are millions of levels out there just waiting to be discovered, all built by fellow LittleBigPlanet fans right across the globe.

Available all year round.

New Avatars

Burger Face, Sleepy Taco, Careless Sushi, Ice Cream Sandwich, Ice Cream Swirl Cone and Ice cream Truck avatars!

Dynamic Themes

Beach dynamic theme, PolyWave Red dynamic theme, PolyWave Blue dynamic theme and Dragon 2 dynamic theme.

More to come later this month!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

270 Comments 58 Author replies
Show oldest first

Those who want to see PS1 imports from Square Enix, like myself. Please register on their forums and respond to this thread.

Let’s make it the most active thread on their forum! (without any spammy nonsense posts, of course).

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2012 @ 1:08 pm

That’s definitely a good move, I would say as long as you keep it sensible they’ll take note of the demand.

SGTSTEELFACE 1 August, 2012 @ 1:01 pm   2

oh well bit of a shame Ive already got it on Steam but il play again for trophies still got to finish Saints Row2 so lots to get on with as I only recently platted Deus ex

cheeky4life 1 August, 2012 @ 1:02 pm   3

Hi Ross

Are we any closer to getting Crash Bash? as its been asked for a long time now

cheeky4life 1 August, 2012 @ 1:03 pm   4

also what time is jawad publishing the store update here on the blog?

SGTSTEELFACE 1 August, 2012 @ 1:03 pm   5

Alos hasnt the launch date for Retro/Grade been already announced

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

Yes you’re quite right, this was written prior to that blog post – 22nd September!

bregalad920 1 August, 2012 @ 1:04 pm   6

well this does make up from the 2 crap games that came out mid July, I hope that mid August keeps up with this update

Roxas598 1 August, 2012 @ 1:04 pm   7

Shame there’s no plus discount on Dead space 1 probably would have snapped both of them up but i never did play the DLC of DS2 so might grab that

you have my thanks Ross i lovely update :D

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

You’re welcome – Dead Space is already very inexpensive on the Store, you can definitely go check it out.

TheVVolf 1 August, 2012 @ 1:04 pm   8

Schweet!

Thanks, Ross!

Skykid360 1 August, 2012 @ 1:04 pm   9

Hi

Ooh I thought it would have been Dead Space 1, 2 is a nice surprise.

Anyway got a few questions if you don’t mind:

Any chance of a bonus incentive to sign-up/extend PS+ (beside the awesome games and  stuff) coming up anytime soon? Last time I renewed it was 12+3 Extra Months, or are those deals gone with the new format?

Also, will we be getting Borderlands 2 and the new Need for Speed Most Wanted, on the store on release day….a pre-order would be great as NFS has free DLC. Saves me pre-ordering at other places.

Finally, Tony Hawk’s HD, when are we likely to get it? A PS+ Launch Discount? :)

Thanks and keep up the good work

PARAN0ID_PANDA3 1 August, 2012 @ 1:05 pm   10

i just bought dead space 2 on steam :(

Pacman_Ownage 1 August, 2012 @ 1:05 pm   11

Just couldn’t help but read the second half of that in Billy Mays voice :I

CasperH01 1 August, 2012 @ 1:05 pm   12

Post says from tommorow but I assume that is a error, right?

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

Yes I had intended this to go up yesterday – the update is going to be today.

windowsmsnlipi 1 August, 2012 @ 1:06 pm   13

Dead space 2 .. nice :D

fauxtronic 1 August, 2012 @ 1:06 pm   14

Thanks Ross! Looking forward to Dead Space in particular (I guessed it was that from your clues on Twitter yesterday).

Any news on when all those blank spaces in the PS Stores’s PS+ section are going to be fixed though? They always make me anxious that I might be missing a 100% discounted item.

pjulledk 1 August, 2012 @ 1:06 pm   15

Wow Love you playstation dont have Dead space 2 Thanks:D

FortyPercent 1 August, 2012 @ 1:06 pm   16

Damn, one I already own on disc… and that I’m not really interested in playing after seeing how Dead Space 3 is turning out. Ah well, you win some you lose some, I suppose, and it’s always nice to have a downloadable copy if I ever feel like it.

Rock of Ages looks pretty fun, definitely gonna give it a look.

Mattaio19 1 August, 2012 @ 1:06 pm   17

When are we getting the PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta? I thought we would get it today? :(

Yay, never actually played Dead Space 2, so looks like it´s time to play it.

S-o-h-a-i-l 1 August, 2012 @ 1:07 pm   19

Purchased the Super Bundle when it was on sale a while ago. Great game for those who have not played it, thanks Ross.

Any hints on the two games to come mid-month ?

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2012 @ 1:13 pm

There are a couple of good ones this month for sure, and of course Retro/Grade on the 22nd of this month so that’s 5 full games for you this month, including 2 brand new ones (well, one BRAND new and one new to SCEE).

Mid-month this time around you can expect two more BD retail games. Can’t give anything else away yet!

Very nice update!
Thanks!

johngenegenie 1 August, 2012 @ 1:07 pm   21

Oooh.. Dead Space 2 – you were right with the last update – there will be something I don’t have. I just need to find myself some new pants… :P

fauxtronic 1 August, 2012 @ 1:07 pm   22

Oops, I meant to say a belated thank you for Deus Ex: HR too. Loved it far more than I anticipated, and ended up buying the DLC while it was discounted. I now have 100% of the trophies as a result. Woot! \o/

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2012 @ 1:14 pm

Congratulations! Still got to Platinum Deus Ex myself actually – same with Dead Space! Skyrim took up too much of my time. :/

Carnivius_Prime 1 August, 2012 @ 1:08 pm   23

No no no…
Really didn’t enjoy this game when I played it at a friend’s house.

And I didn’t care much for the equally dull and depressing Deus Ex last month. Fun games wanted please. Had such a great month when you gave away games like LBP2, inFamous 2 and Motorstorm Apocalypse (even though I owned two of those already). Really was hoping for Ratchet & Clank All 4 One like the US store got a couple months ago. My US buddies are playing it and wanting me to join in and I’m here refusing to pay the £20 in the hope that the game becomes free for us too.

EternalChaos72 1 August, 2012 @ 1:08 pm   24

haha i had trouble with that twinkle twinkle little star hint on ur twitter feed, but then found out this was coming which is good news been meanin to try this out for years. Cheers

chrisboers 1 August, 2012 @ 1:08 pm   25

While I already own the Dead Space 2 Limited Edition, this is a really great game to be had. I might even be tempted to play it again! And Rock of Ages really looks very interesting. Definitely will give that a go.

With Retro/Grade around the corner, and still two more games yet to be revealed, this month is truly becoming one of the best Plus month ever (apart from the re-launch two months ago of course, nothing can beat that!)

Well done!

S-o-h-a-i-l 1 August, 2012 @ 1:09 pm   26

Also can we expect a Plus discount on Sound Shapes next week ?

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

You can expect a discount on Sound Shapes when it launches, yes, that is the plan.

quite nice, but to be honest – I’d prefer TWD ;]

gooner4life 1 August, 2012 @ 1:09 pm   28

Very Nice! wanted to get this but couldnt justify it at the time as too many other games.

Cheers for all the work you guys and gals put in to secure this great content.

PS+ murdering the summer gaming drought one month at a time!

WolfiePL 1 August, 2012 @ 1:11 pm   29

Nice update !!! I already played and platinumed DS2 but i will buy Severed DLC for sure :)

finlandmonkey 1 August, 2012 @ 1:11 pm   30

Great update! How much space does Dead Space 2 need?

Oh yeah Dead Space 2 :D. Yet again a quality game, thanks Ross!!

Nice update thanks.

Are we likely to see some of the games the US store got or not. I want to play Pac-man and Gotham City Impostors, but am unlikely to buy them.

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

Some of the games will make it over here, but don’t expect a title to show up in SCEE Plus just because it’s in the SCEA update.

supersmith2500 1 August, 2012 @ 1:12 pm   33

Pointless getting Dead Space 2 for me since I already own both Dead Space 1 & 2 (Limited Edition which also includes Dead Space: Extraction for PS Move) and beaten them both and oh yes 2 is the one the best games out there. And and for the theme for DS2 it’s actually ”Ring around the roses” not ”Twinkle Twinkle little Star”

Let’s hope Jawad’s store update less disapoint since last one is utter rubbish.

adumr82 1 August, 2012 @ 1:12 pm   34

Any news on the extra PS one games the USA got that we didn’t?

JohnoBoy 1 August, 2012 @ 1:13 pm   35

Lara Croft still isn’t available on the Israeli store, which means we’re getting one free game less than the rest, anything being done about that? Any plans to give us a replacement free game?

johnnyquicknives 1 August, 2012 @ 1:13 pm   36

Great update. I already own dead space but rock of ages is the ideal plus game, something I would never have bought but would like to try. Besides I’m still ploughing through the July games.

I’m normally not overly jealous about the differences between the US and EU updates, if anything I think I have been happier with the EU content. Having said that I will be very, very disappointed if the walking dead games are not in our late august content update like they are in the US.

Nice update… PS Plus is great value for money and definitely perfect for anyone who recently purchased a PS3.

The only problem I am finding is that all (and I do mean all) the retail games which become available are games I have bought and played last year when they first came out. :(

I can only hope to become more lucky with the games on offer.
Fingers crossed for Ico! :)

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

That is something that we’re aware of and we’re going out of our way to make sure there is plenty of brand new stuff in the pipeline that you’ll have not played for all Plus members.
    Two this month with Rock of Ages and Retro/Grade and plenty more up our sleeves.

supersmith2500 1 August, 2012 @ 1:14 pm   38

@WolfiePL:
Hardcore hard for you?

SyncroUK 1 August, 2012 @ 1:14 pm   39

Excellent PS+ update once again. Thanks very much! :)

Solid_Snake1987 1 August, 2012 @ 1:14 pm   40

Another one that I have, but also one that I don’t. Fair enough. Depending on the price I might also pick up the Severed DLC which I didn’t get before.

Hope the mid-month games bring some games I don’t have. Did prefer it when you used to post what games were coming out a month in advance, but I understand that it’s not always possible.

OurTone 1 August, 2012 @ 1:14 pm   41

My Playstation Plus subscription is money well spent and no mistaking !

DazzaUK1985 1 August, 2012 @ 1:14 pm   42

YESSSSS!!! Thank you thank you thank you! Well pleased with Dead Space 2 – a game i’ve been looking at for ages but never actually got round to buying. Great start to the month – not sure my download allowance will cope if the mid-month games and the sale discounts are as pleasing!!

DENIO_007 1 August, 2012 @ 1:14 pm   43

Hi Ross, would it be possible to get some FPS games in the instant game collection. Sony has Killzone and Resistance series so getting one in shouldn’t be too hard for you guys. (Not that I’m a big FPS fan, but it would add more variety to the collection, and FPS games are always great for co-op of multiplayer).

ivormacca1978 1 August, 2012 @ 1:15 pm   44

Fantastic!

I only just got Dead Space back from my bro who “borrowed” it for the last 2 years. I will finish that and then DS2.

Keep up the good work

MasLegio 1 August, 2012 @ 1:15 pm   45

Speaking of the dead, will we have any walkers appear on PSN plus soon considering their appearance on US PSN Plus.

avfc1234 1 August, 2012 @ 1:15 pm   46

any news on if the eu Will be getting playstation allstar battle beta like Hong kong?

CoolRichy008UK 1 August, 2012 @ 1:16 pm   47

GREAT UPDATE Ross McGrath

dead space 2 free for ps plus
rock of ages free for ps plus

i gonna get both them games :D and when my ps plus runs out october im gonna renew it :D

i hope dead space 2 is out today if you mean today and not tomorrow lol

mitchayo 1 August, 2012 @ 1:16 pm   48

Ooh, Dead Space 2, EA. Have you thought about hooking up with EA sports. If they put NHL12 up on EU Plus, they’d get a tonne more NHL13 sales, that game is looking awesome, gonna shadow 12.

Also, those clues were impossible on Twitter! You better explain yourself later on Twitter ;)

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2012 @ 1:21 pm

Ahem, if I may…

Apple = Man who had famous interaction with apple = Isaac Newton = Isaac

Two houses with a house missing – what’s left when you take something away? A space.

Clown from IT? Damn scary if you ask me.

And of course, the Line Cutter, an iconic Dead Space weapon.

kitlow30 1 August, 2012 @ 1:16 pm   49

Awesome! Love Playstation Plus at the moment; had it since day one but was never really too excited every month but now I have no need to buy new retail games because I can rely on Plus! ! I haven’t even got round to playing Infamous 2 or Deux Ex and I’m super excited for both of these new games!! I’m also very lucky that I haven’t had any of the games so far except for Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light, whoever chooses the games every month is a wise man.

darth_karnus 1 August, 2012 @ 1:16 pm   50

YES! This is perfect! I’ve been holding out on buying this game because I was waiting for a discount at my local game shop, but this is even better! Thanks Ross! Can’t wait for the mid-month update either!

Load all