Posted 4:00pm

Zen Pinball 2 Release Date Announced, Mystery PopCap Table Incoming!

Zen Pinball 2

I know you have all been anxiously waiting for a Zen Pinball 2 release date, and today I am happy to tell you that Zen Pinball 2 will be available for download from 5th September on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita!

In addition, we have a great surprise for you! Our latest table creation, based on a PopCap Games mega-hit (and I do mean MEGA), will be releasing as new DLC content the same day! What might this table be? All details will be revealed later this month during PAX Prime! If you are at the event, we invite you to stop by PopCap’s booth and get first hands-on with the table!

As you all probably know, we take pinball very seriously here at Zen Studios, and we see pinball development in two different parts. On one end you have the actual pinball table, which better be fun and entertaining. We have worked hard to make sure you have an awesome selection of themes and table designs, the most advanced physics as well as stellar looking tables.

Zen Pinball 2 - Street Fighter

On the other end, you have the game presentation, features that make it competitive among friends (beating your own score over and over is fun, but beating your friends is SO much better), and the overall experience. We have worked really hard to make Zen Pinball 2 the finest pinball platform available! Here are some of the features you can expect:

• Zen Pinball 2 is cross platform entitled. Any content you buy will be playable on both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita at no extra charge!
  • Zen Pinball 2 is a free download for everyone, with trials available for each table so you can try each table before you decide to buy.
  • For those of you who already own Zen Pinball or Marvel Pinball content, you will be able to import your purchases into Zen Pinball 2 for free, receiving graphics, physics and social system upgrades at no extra cost!
  • Zen Pinball 2 will launch with 26 different pinball tables, including the mystery PopCap table!
  • A beautiful layout and design featuring all Zen Pinball tables under one roof.
  • New trophies for all tables!
  • A new social system with in-game score notifications, challenges, Facebook posting, ProScore (personal performance across all tables) and TeamScore (a combined score ranking you and your friends).
  • New rule sheets to help you better understand the tables, while still providing opportunity for discovering the secrets of the table on your own.

Zen Pinball 2 - Dashboard Zen Pinball 2 - Notifcation

As you can see, Zen Pinball 2 is set to take pinball games to the next level.

So, any guesses on what PopCap game is coming to pinball?

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

29 Comments 13 Author replies
Show oldest first

chrisboers 8 August, 2012 @ 4:08 pm   1

Woohoo!

As I already have gotten several tables through PS Plus, and now getting this pinball game for free on the Vita, me is a very happy puppy.

Thank you people for providing this excellent pinball game update!

Will the game be playable in Portrait orientation for the Vita?

Zsolt Kigyossy 8 August, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

Yes, you will be able to play Zen Pinball 2 in portrait orientation. This is the way I prefer to play myself:)

killah_fury 8 August, 2012 @ 4:20 pm   3

Plants v Zombies table please!

I’m guessing the mystery PopCap table will be Zuma, but I’m secretly hoping it’s going to be based on Bookworm instead… my favourite PopCap title by far!

But what the heck, I’m game for any PopCap adaptation. Suprise me. ;)

Zsolt Kigyossy 8 August, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

We will let you know what the table is later this month at PAX! I can’t wait to say what it is, and it is so hard keeping it a secret:)

Sp4rkyM4rk1337 8 August, 2012 @ 4:23 pm   5

Looking forward to playing the PopCap Games table. You guys never disappoint. :)

SuperJag86 8 August, 2012 @ 4:25 pm   6

Great news, I’m happy you’re finally close to release!
I have both the main games on PS3 but will probably end up buying all the tables to take with me on my Vita!

Thank the lord for Vita support! I hope you guys decide to put the previous tables on sale, at some point, for new comers.

I currently own almost every pinball table for Zen Pinball, or Pinball FX2, on Xbox 360, so a sale would help a great deal!

Keep up the great work :D

Zsolt Kigyossy 8 August, 2012 @ 4:38 pm

Thank you for your support! We would not be able to keep doing what we love without you.

Supremely excited about this and own a good many tables from both of the prior titles.

I notice that the interface is black on your screen shot of the menu above. Would I be correct in presuming that the background changes depending upon which table is currently selected?

Thanks

Zsolt Kigyossy 8 August, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

Yes, the background is somewhat dynamic, with a different theme for each table as you scroll over them. We pay attention to every little detail, and try to address every detail in the presentation of the game.

oliverlester 8 August, 2012 @ 4:39 pm   9

Well done on this. Very very excited about it!

bennyrafal 8 August, 2012 @ 5:16 pm   10

PLANTS vs ZOMBIES for sure ;) not a secret :)

NoobBlast 8 August, 2012 @ 5:38 pm   11

I think i’m the biggest Zen supporter of all.
I bought everything they made on PS3, but i also own all tables on both PinballFX 1 and 2 on Xbox 360.

PinballFX was the original, but renamed to Zen Pinball when it came to PS3. Both consoles have a few exclusive tables, so you can i have loads of Zen tables in total. :)

Oh..I will of course buy the new tables too. The secret table isn’t even hard to guess. Plants vs Zombies.

Zsolt Kigyossy 8 August, 2012 @ 6:39 pm

Thanks for supporting us! You will know the answer to the PopCap table in just a few short weeks!

QuietlyWrong 8 August, 2012 @ 6:05 pm   12

Oh, the PopCap table is sure to BE that JEWEL in their crown, Typer Shark!

Oh well…

I’m looking forward to this, especially on the Vita. Already having all the Zen and Marvel tables so far released makes this a special treat.

And the SCEE forums Community Team are planning a pinball league, so heep your eyes on the PlayStation Store Games board on the SCEE forums folks! :)

Zsolt Kigyossy 8 August, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

Can you send a link to the pinball league to our community manager, perhaps via Twitter or Facebook? We would like to share that with everyone else! Or, even post another comment with the link?

How about a sale for all the DLC?

I know one of the tables is peggle, as it’s not a secret, looking forward 4 it, suppose I will play it on my Vita most, as pinball fits the vita very good!

QuietlyWrong 8 August, 2012 @ 7:07 pm   15

As for the pinball league, we’re waiting for the game to be released first, but once it’s out, we’ll start things up and let you know. :D

twinlight2 8 August, 2012 @ 8:36 pm   16

Amazing game and very smart giving me the game with PS+, I’m now hooked on your tables and buy them all, no matter if they look fun or not, its my way of paying for my free version! Its gonna be fun playing on my Vita too, but how have you setup the playing in portrait mode?

If the new table isnt PvZ, contact me and I pay for you to make it!

love the games cant wait for the update

AlexAtkinUK 8 August, 2012 @ 11:57 pm   18

Well, I bought all the tables on Pinball FX and Pinball FX 2, but Vita/PS3 cross platform support has me convinced to switch. So I too hope any of the classic tables which are on both Zen Pinball and FX will get a discount so I can move over completely.

However two things I REALLY wanted for Zen Pinball 2:

1) 3D support
and/or
2) Native 1080p graphics

I find 720p still a little awkward to keep track of what is going on due to the tables being so much more colourful and complex than other pinball games.

This would be mitigated somewhat by 3D support though I suspect completely cured by 1080p.

I would happily trade some of the graphical effects for the option, obviously defaulting to 720p and making it clear that 1080p will be a slightly different experience if you choose it.

Zsolt Kigyossy 9 August, 2012 @ 5:20 pm

There is 3D support! Playing pinball in 3D makes the game feel brand new all over again, it is quite amazing. Enjoy!

procion 9 August, 2012 @ 1:07 am   19

Thanks Zen, welcome news. One thing I like about your tables, and they are every bit as good as Pinball Arcade’s tables(or, I should say Pinball Arcade’s tables are NEARLY as good as Zen’s tables :) ) is the fact that except for one table, all of your tables actually give me a chance to enjoy the ball before the “magnets” pull the ball down the sides(I’ve been playing so long, and spent so much on arcade tables that using the flipper’s to keep the ball in-game is second nature to me). Pinball Arcade’s tables are SO real that you can lose the ball almost immediately, without even getting to flip the ball in a whole game, just like in physical tables. Question? Anychance Zen can beat Pinball Arcade by making us some classic tables like Addams Family?

Zsolt Kigyossy 9 August, 2012 @ 5:23 pm

We are working on securing some classic table licenses. It would be a lot of fun to work on some of those! It is great to see the classics get remade for the digital world, I certainly miss the arcade days so being able to enjoy them again is really a lot of fun.

procion 9 August, 2012 @ 1:10 am   20

Could this mystery table be a God of War table ??? The flippers would make excellent subs for Krathos’ Blades of Chaos :)

Zsolt Kigyossy 9 August, 2012 @ 5:24 pm

The mystery table is based on a PopCap game, so no, not God of War. Kratos would be pretty cool to get on a table though!

konan8181 9 August, 2012 @ 6:37 am   21

jest fajne

extralife_psx 9 August, 2012 @ 11:49 am   22

so this is why u left us psx owners in the dust :) u just couldn’t leave the vita alone ;) this is absolutely awesome news, i can’t wait to get my hands on this update for my marvel tables, u guys have made the best pinball games since my amiga days, u have my respect and thx for these great news :)

RemyX-1988 9 August, 2012 @ 1:27 pm   23

ZEN Pinball 2 will launch with 26 different pinball tables? Twenty-six? Are you serious?! Do you have any idea how many tables those are for a downloadable pinball games? Awesome stuff, ZEN Studios!

But here’s an idea… after a while, when this game has been out for quite a while, please release ZEN Pinball, Marvel Pinball and ZEN Pinball 2 on Blu-ray Disc, including all released downloadable content?

I’d pay hard cash for that!

Zsolt Kigyossy 9 August, 2012 @ 5:28 pm

We have had other publishers ask us about doing that. At this point we have been too focused on new tables (just wait till you see what is coming) to really go down that road.

Yes, 26 tables, hard to believe. But it’s been a work in progress for quite some time, it has been so much fun to watch the library grow!

robbenslb 9 August, 2012 @ 3:13 pm   24

Day 1 DLC? Yay!

robbenslb 9 August, 2012 @ 3:14 pm   25

Nevermind, just say it is free to play

QuietlyWrong 9 August, 2012 @ 7:20 pm   26

The 26 tables are:

From Zen:
Tesla, El Dorado, V12, Shaman, Earth Defense, Ninja Gaiden, Street Fighter 2, Mars, Excalibur, Sorcerer’s Lair, Paranormal, Epic Quest

Form Marvel:
Spiderman, Wolverine, Iron Man, Blade, Ghost Rider, X-Men, Thor, Moon Knight, Captain America, Avengers, World War Hulk, Fear Itself, The Infinity Gauntlet

… and one new PopCap-themed game.

I’m hoping there is a single version for all regions and it’ll combine my US zen-tables with my EU Marvel-tables. :)

This sounded good and I was prepared to buy older tables after testing Zen Pinball 2, but then I noticed you re-priced all old tables – to be more expensive. I was about to buy couple of them for that old less-than-2euros price, but now they are all 2,45e – same price as new tables. Thought that I would get better explanation by asking direct from you guys, though this is already pretty old announcement. :o

Wolfsbane28 7 September, 2012 @ 3:41 am   29

Anyone else having trouble importing their tables? I’ve downloaded my original marvel tables, but when I try to play them it doesn’t give me any option except to download them again.