Posted 7:30pm

Are You Ready For The God Of War: Ascension Multiplayer Beta?

God of War fans, it’s Game Director Todd Papy again with the latest and greatest on God of War: Ascension If you saw the on-stage world premiere of our new epic single-player journey at E3, then you’re well aware Kratos will be as bad-ass as ever when Ascension hits stores next year. However, today I’m here to talk more about our ambitious multiplayer mode, a multiplayer experience we are confident will be worthy of the title, God of War.

God Of War: Ascension Multiplayer Beta

Back on 30th April, I gave you an in-depth look at how our new multiplayer-mode works, combining the visceral combat and brutal finishing kills from single-player with an intense and fresh online four-vs-four competitive mode. I’m excited to announce today that we will be launching a global multiplayer beta in the near future, available exclusively first to PlayStation Plus subscribers (there may a few other secret inroads). It’s critical to our team that we receive as much community feedback to tune and prime our multiplayer mode for one of the best experiences possible, come launch this March.

Here’s a brand-new multiplayer trailer to whet your appetite, this is what God of War: Ascension multiplayer is all about:

Where and how you begin as a Warrior in God of War: Ascension multiplayer is a mystery you’ll discover at launch, there is a story to “you,” notwithstanding, your first decision will be to pledge your allegiance to one of four familiar Gods: Zeus, Hades, Ares and Poseidon. Each God will offer a unique combat play-style and devastating abilities in battle. You’ll unlock special magic abilities, new and upgraded armors and weapons, mystical relics and other treasures as you earn XP to level up your Warrior. While each will have an incredible array of combat maneuvers, the “attack-style” of the God you align with is critical to your Warriors “path.”

Our Warrior customization and XP system is going to keep you serving your God for centuries to come. It is your goal to become a true God of War, a Champion of the Gods. When you head into battle with friends and foes, you will have teammates aligned to all of the Gods, not only balancing out the strengths of each team, but creating a mythical and diverse combat war in every match.

God Of War: Ascension Multiplayer BetaGod Of War: Ascension Multiplayer Beta

In our signature multiplayer mode, Favor of the Gods, the first team to accumulate a target amount of “points” will claim victory (at E3 this was set to 5,000). Points, known as “Favor,” are earned by kills and other methods. When you’re not in the middle of destroying your enemies with brutal elegance, you can also help your team earn points by capturing altars, collecting red orbs from chests, and setting deadly traps for opposing players. Every multiplayer level is also littered with power-ups that will give you a quick edge in battle with special abilities, such as the power of Hermes Boots to boost your speed, and many more.

Finally, we’ve always believed God of War is about “epic larger than life moments,” and our multiplayer mode will fulfill that in a variety of ways. In our first map reveal, you’ve witnessed the awe-shocking terror of “Polyphemus,” a skyscraper sized giant Titan who wants to squash you to a pulp. When a team has earned a certain threshold of “favor points,” the Gods will drop down the Spear of Olympus; the only weapon known to man that can destroy Polyphemus. The first team to acquire this weapon and destroy the Titan may win the match, or turn the tide of the battle.

Each of our unique multiplayer maps and gameplay modes will have a variety of objectives and interactive multi-leveled environments. We’ll be sharing more details as we get closer to our release date.

If you’re going to be in Germany at gamescom this week, you’ll be among the first in the world to get hands on with our new multiplayer mode. It doesn’t stop there, you will also get the very first hands-on with our single player demo as well, and lay waste to The Elephantaur with your own hands.

For those of you stateside, we will also be bringing God of War: Ascension to PAX at the end of this month. We’re also proud to announce we will be doing the first-ever God of War Panel at PAX as well. Watch for more details on our PAX panel discussion and booth presence in the coming weeks.

Our dedicated team here at Sony Santa Monica is working harder than Kratos’ path to vengeance to make Ascension the biggest and most ambitious God of War game ever, and your passion for the world of God of War fuels us daily. Follow and give me a shout at @ToddPapy or @SonySantaMonica. You should like and check out our brand new God of War Facebook page for the latest and greatest news about the game, our awesome Collector’s Edition, and Mythological Heroes Multiplayer Pack pre-order DLC. Watch our Facebook page for news in the near future about how you can get early access to the multiplayer beta and more.

Now, back to the Pantheon…

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

17 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

oh im so on, for some multiplayer gow

Cyberendpunk 14 August, 2012 @ 8:12 pm   2

As my most anticipated multiplayer I really want to get into the beta.

uberkakis 14 August, 2012 @ 8:17 pm   3

Want!

millgate1 14 August, 2012 @ 8:24 pm   4

You’re giving me a good reason to buy Playstation Plus :D

I have 10 Platinum trophies, 5 of them are God of War. Check my psn ID. I really, really need to be a part of this beta. I have Plus so I am glad we will get it soon. :D Will there be a demo released ahead of time like with GOW 3? I ask because I received the demo in October 2009 , 6 months before GOW 3 was released :D

Artemisthemp 14 August, 2012 @ 8:51 pm   6

Happy I have Plus :)

Just wish SCEE would announce the CE of Ascension for EU.

MrGregorA 14 August, 2012 @ 9:15 pm   7

You won Sony. I pledged to myself that I would never subscribe to ps+. now I am waiting for the discount. Thats how the service should have looked from the very beginning.

chrisandsheva 14 August, 2012 @ 9:20 pm   8

Yeah, i Will be a dedicated beta player too, Only for GoW, as i don’t usually bother with other betas, So if your looking for people to play this beta properly, ie non-stop, (Gaming time etc) and want people who’ll interact with beta organisers, via online/pc, you Can count me in, i will be getting/doing this anyway when it arrives for plus, but will hold of on all other stuff IF you want people sooner.

I also got a GoW3 early demo, start Nov 09, 1st ‘real’ gift i had for ps3, and just like everone else who’ll take a interest in this blog-page, 5 of my plats are GoW ones, but my best one is GoW3, work of art. all are but i class that as my fav, maybe because (imo) it was most challanging one, anyway am just glad i decided to leave the combat arena trophy till last, otherwise i guess some could say i used the glitch and got it the ‘easy’ way..as Allways i Know this next game is in good hands, Just can’t wait to play it.

yay gimme gimme gimme! :) cant wait :)

Coody-Baroody 15 August, 2012 @ 5:15 am   10

Multiplayer looks MEH at best. Im a HUUUUGE Kratos fan. In my 65 Plats I too have all 5 GOW Plats like you guys above have said but my pride and joy is my Sideshow Collectibles Kratos that i paid 100′s of £’s for.

Im saying all this because if they tack on TERRIBLE online trophies onto the game just like they have done with the multiplayer modes anyway, it will be the first GOW I will NOT be buying.

I just do not understand why our awesome story led single player games have to be ruined by tacking on a useless multiplayer that will be EMPTY 6 month after release when everyone else has gone back to their favourite FPS.

ptryk114 15 August, 2012 @ 8:29 am   11

Great news! I was really dissapointed when I’ve heard that there will be no Assassin’s Creed beta this year, but this is the second must-have game that I’m waiting for ;)

capitales7 15 August, 2012 @ 4:42 pm   12

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to be a Plus subscriber! :D
Multiplayer aside, I’m just happy to see some GoW action again.

chrisandsheva 15 August, 2012 @ 7:21 pm   13

@post10.
Can identify with all you’ve said about tacked on multi, usually both boring grinds and rubish, i believe that ‘other’ console has had a lot to do with this seemingly mp/co-op madness, i mean looking through ‘their’ arcade games and own exclusives i don’t think i have come accross more than a handfull of titles that can either be enjoyed, or if your a trophy ‘collector’ (not hunter, lol.) 100 percented Alone, and there is some really ‘srange’ titles in ‘their’ libary, If we were living in 60s era i would think they’re trying to bring Everyone together, kinda scene, But we All know that isn’t ‘their’ reasons, for making mp/co-op almost compulsory. So again i get ye.. However i honestly think this Will be different, and even If theres some grinding to do for online trophies, i couldn’t think of a better game (and prob xp) to do it for. Well, i really hope so at least, This ‘might’ (can/should) show AC were it all went pear shaped.. ie So much potential, But hardly no rewards.

Im such a HUGE Kratos fan, I bought the $US310 Sideshow Collectibles statue of him. I collect all the plasic Krathoses as well. Cannot wait for this. news on CE yet?

will the US get the beta weeks before EU does like all betas released on PS3?

CrazySasquatch- 16 August, 2012 @ 3:19 am   16

Man, i cant wait for this. Looks absolutely incredible. Thank god i got PS Plus!

AlphaChris 21 August, 2012 @ 2:36 pm   17

I have PS Plus, but I won’t take part. Just please don’t hurt the singleplayer experience and please do not add any online-trophies for the Platinum trophy.

Uncharted, Assassin’s Creed and now God of War…