Posted 7:30pm

PSone Classics Coming To PS Vita Via The Latest System Software Update (v1.80)

Hi, everyone. One of the key announcements coming out of Gamescom today is that the next PS Vita System Software Update (v1.80) is coming your way late August, and will add support for playing PSone Classics on your PlayStation Vita. I know a lot of you have been looking forward to playing original PlayStation titles on the go.

Listed below are a few other new features that will be added with the 1.80 update:

Cross Controller

The new Cross-Controller feature will allow you to use PS Vita as a controller to play compatible games on PS3, such as LittleBigPlanet 2. This feature lets you take advantage of PS Vita’s rich features including the touch screen, rear touch pad, six-axis motion sensing system, and cameras.

To access the cross controller feature you need to launch the Remote Play application and then click on the Cross-Controller icon.

Controls

Music

Playlists will be supported in Music. You will be able to transfer iTunes (10.6.3 or later), M3U, and M3U8 playlists from a PS3 or a PC using Content Manager.

Web Browser

Rear touch pad operation will be supported by the browser, allowing you to scroll through and zoom out of pages without obscuring the screen.

Video

The following controls have been added to Videos:

• Playback speed control
  • Repeat play
Photos

Viewing photos in MPO format will now be supported, with the ability to transfer MPO files from PS3 and PC using Content Manager.
* 3D and multi-angle viewing are NOT supported.

Group Messaging

Along with some new layout enhancements, you will be able to take photos to add as attachments when writing Group Messages.

Maps

The Maps feature has been improved by adding a button on the top screen to switch between “Search for Location” and “Search for Directions.” You can also touch and hold a location on the map and place a user flag.

“near”

“near” will be able to gather the information of surrounding Wi-Fi access points without internet connection and update the location data based on it later. You can get location data within the area covered by Wi-Fi location services.

Stay tuned for more updates on PS Vita right here on PlayStation.Blog.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

41 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Great news, looking forward to playing Metal Gear Solid before the MGS HD collection. Couple of questions

1) is there a way to transfer PSOne save games from PS3-vita? I have a part completed Metal Gear solid playthrough I’ve been doing using remote play, and I’d like to bring it across to the vita

2) any news on an improved remote play, for better quality display on vita?

thats great. All we need now are decent ps1 games that match te usa store (cough SPYRO!!!), breath of fire 4, parapper the rapper, umjammy lammy etc. balls to te awful disney games we have. Same goes for the ps2. I know im moaning but this kind of thing (lost of games and update) should have availble at launch.

bravo9zero 14 August, 2012 @ 8:18 pm   3

Will MGS PS1 be available to play on PS Vita (transfer from PS3 to Vita)on day one?
Hope so!

Also do you know how the playlists feature works on Vita.
Can make your own playlists on Vita, or can you ONLY transfer playlists made on PC/PS3 too Vita?

Some nice features being added to PS Vita, keep em coming!

Skookie30 14 August, 2012 @ 8:18 pm   4

Yawn No Ps3 F/W update long live the queen the Ps3 is dead. :(

Good news, hopefully this PSOne support allows the Vita to sell a LOT more and therefor due to it’s popularity increase the number of devs interested on the Vita and therefor more games.

As for people asking question do it on twitter @PlaystationEU once they start the Q&A on the Livestream.

CoolRichy008UK 14 August, 2012 @ 8:32 pm   6

TalzUK what has 1st gotta do with the topic no one knows actually i said 1st 1st just now :P (C)

This is looking like a great update!
Great you’d added ability to navigate through the home screen!

I’d love it in the next update if you added the ability to recieve notifications when someone comments/likes something on your activities.

Not sure if much can be done for this, but can you lessen the amount of time the blue pop up messages come up? Or perhaps just some of them as running in the background?

Thanks

bidbaldwolf86 14 August, 2012 @ 8:42 pm   8

Hi Eric

Awesome firmware update. Do you have any details on the settings you can change for ps1 classics. will the games run in full screen?

RagingAvatar 14 August, 2012 @ 8:45 pm   9

YES GROUP MESSAGING AND PHOTO TAKING FROM MESSAGING!!
(I sent that as feedback to dev support! Yay!!! So happy!!)

cool. now all thats missing is SPYRO!

Hero9989 14 August, 2012 @ 8:59 pm   11

Looks like I’ll be waiting unti the end of the month to finally play FF6! Can’t wait, good job guys :D
Also – any idea when the cross-controller feature will hit LBP2? will it happen as soon as the vita 1.8 software hits?

Bazlurgan 14 August, 2012 @ 9:04 pm   12

Quick VERY IMPORTANT question…

Will ALL PSOne game be supported, or just those briefly shown during the presentation???

Does anyone know?

FemmeFox 14 August, 2012 @ 9:06 pm   13

Gonna pitch in on this Spyro thing. Its the only series left that I want to play on the go. Please bring the Spyro games to the EU.

FemmeFox 14 August, 2012 @ 9:08 pm   14

Also… Someone get and tell the relevant people to release a cable for video out? We know its possible, I just watched Gamescom’s presentation. I realise they get different units to retail ones, but for crying out loud, if its possible, why leave it out?

millgate1 14 August, 2012 @ 9:08 pm   15

Question, please answer. Will we be able to play PSOne games via remote play? I got Spyro on a PS0ne disk which my PS3 can play and I want to know if I will be able to remote play it with Vita?

Flibble1 14 August, 2012 @ 9:08 pm   16

Thought it would never come but… thanks

XDerKleineX 14 August, 2012 @ 9:13 pm   17

Nice update, although I’m a bit disappointed with the additions to the browser. Rear Touch controlls sound really unneccesary, how a bout making it so that the vita doesen’t re-render the page every time one does something?

teetboy71 14 August, 2012 @ 9:14 pm   18

Nice one sony.waiting on flash player now.

Brillant update. It’s always great to see the PS Vita grow and expand in functionality.

this is all good but :

i have a french PSN account since 2007 and i moved to Denmark. The problem is that i cant buy games from my french account using my Danish Visa card.
In other words, i cant benefit from new games and DLCs on my Vita using my main french account. Any words on multi account ?

KillaT2501 14 August, 2012 @ 9:23 pm   21

’bout time!

All the Vita needs now is a cable for video out, Ps2 & PSN compatibility and serviceable messaging system.

Forget Sypro we need Tekken 3 for sale!

The best thing would be an all inclusive unified store that has all the same products in it regardless of language…

Nice

Jucksalbe 14 August, 2012 @ 9:43 pm   23

Will the PSX emulator for Vita have any new features compared to the earlier PSP/PS3 version? Like a screenshot function (that works with all games) or save states?

@millgate1

No the game has to be developed with that feature in mind.

@Bazlurgan

From what I read only a few games will work and more rolling out over time.

HoshiKirby 14 August, 2012 @ 11:00 pm   25

“In addition, you will be able to make various setting changes while games are running and take screenshots of your gameplay.
*It might not be possible to take screenshots in some applications, or in some parts of applications.”

Does that mean we will be able to take screenshots of PSP and PSOne game as well?

azakajam 15 August, 2012 @ 1:04 am   26

Only select PS1 games will be available for the Vita? -__-

Will there be new features? Such as HD upscaling? Save states? There must be something if only a few will be available at first.

I swear to God if Grandia isn’t supported I will cry manly tears and throw a tantrum. And trade in my Vita.

Juhal_1234 15 August, 2012 @ 1:04 am   27

can we use the ps vita as a controller for games?
like if you ain’t got a 2nd sixaxis controller for splitscreen you can use the psvita as an alternate use of controlling an character or object in a game?
that’d be cool for splitscreen games etc

Juhal_1234 15 August, 2012 @ 1:07 am   28

btw im talking about using vita as an controller on ALL GAMES
splitscreen
singleplayer
multiplayer
sorry for dumb question

AlexAtkinUK 15 August, 2012 @ 1:56 am   29

Still no EA games added to the PSP backwards compatibility?

The only PSone games I care about playing on Spyro, and the only PSP games I am waiting for are Burnout Legends/Dominator.

I’m guessing neither will come with this update.

dinosauriac 15 August, 2012 @ 3:06 am   30

Ah. I was wondering why Burnout Legends wasn’t playable on Vita. I should have remembered the publisher. Thankyou EA, for once again being gobsmackingly bad at catering to consumers. Seriously hope they get that sorted out soon, they have too big of a catalogue to stay off the platform.

On a positive note, YAY VITA UPDATE! Good to see some much requested features being brought in that’ll give us better usability, and I can’t wait to hear that eargasmic classic PlayStation logo on the go again.

ChunkyDroid 15 August, 2012 @ 5:42 am   31

“CONTROLS
As many of you have requested, you will now have the option to control the home screen and some features of applications such as Videos and Music with the buttons on the PS Vita system.”

I’ve been able to do this already? Or does this mean while the PS3 is still active? (ie. no black Remote Play screen on my TV).

I’m confused.

INS1GHTFUL 15 August, 2012 @ 8:59 am   32

I was really hoping for remote play to be introduced for more PS3 games. is it coming? will there be any news on this from gamescom?

Shadow_Dancer 15 August, 2012 @ 10:28 am   33

BROWSER

Eric, I hope updating the flash player of the browser is also included in the update.

VIDEO

Any chance you could add the ability to take screenshots of videos?

GROUP MESSAGING

Your description is alittle vague. What does “layout enhancements” mean?

Would also like to see;

Dynamic themes
Email/SMS App
PS Vita Trophies visible on PS3

Shadow_Dancer 15 August, 2012 @ 10:33 am   34

I also would like to add that CrossPlay is an excellent feature. Just watched the LBP demo shown at the conference at it’s fantastic how much potential this feature has.

This is amazing! I can’t wait to see the list of PSone titles and to get back into LBP2. I think the Vita is a great piece of gaming hardware, but which firmware will remove the awful bubbles and bring the XMB to the Vita? I think that would make the PSVita nearly perfect!

VitalogyPJ 15 August, 2012 @ 10:45 am   36

Get rid of the bubble thingy theme and bring XMB to the Vita or at least allow people to choose which layout style they want, i.e.

- bubbles, for those who want to use navigation with touch

- XMB, for those, like me, that rather navigate with the physic buttons with a more simplistic view

I don’t like the bubbles thing.

Vannaa_Girl 15 August, 2012 @ 12:18 pm   37

Is staff or anyone able to answer if ps1 support will be full screen on Vita?

There was a rumor of this around E3 but no one has mentioned it since, it is a shame if not, bordered in the centre is still fairly small atleast when you play by remote play anyway.

RaijinPL 15 August, 2012 @ 6:36 pm   38

Great news about video player.

bardialongo 16 August, 2012 @ 10:36 am   39

I hope the psone games will be fullscreen as for psp, the dimension in remote play is ridicolous, final fanatsy in unplayable!

tombraider_fan 25 August, 2012 @ 10:40 pm   40

AND THE UPNP SUPPORT?
I was hoping for it in this update, but I don’t see it in this list… I will never able to play online multiplayer games without it since I always get NAT Type 3 :((((
(In the PSP I get the NAT Type 2)

shawry1991 29 August, 2012 @ 2:15 pm   41

now the update is on im waiting for the ps store to update on my vita so i can buy ff7 :) anybody know when that will be?

Thanks