Posted 15 August

Ratchet & Clank: QForce Unzips PS Vita Support And Competitive Mode

Hey everyone, I’m Shaun McCabe, production director at Insomniac Games’ North Carolina studio. Since this is my first PS.Blog post, I’ll briefly introduce myself. I joined the company in 2003 during the development of Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, but I’ve been an Insomniac fan going all the way back to Disrupter on the PlayStation.

As you may have heard, last night we announced that our dynamic duo’s latest adventure, Ratchet & Clank: QForce, is coming to both PS3 and PS Vita! Working closely with our friends at Tin Giant who are helping bring the game to PS Vita, we’re delivering full cross-play and cross-save support. So, the ever-popular, “Well, I’d love to be playing Ratchet & Clank right now but am stuck at the bus stop/office/police station/etc.” can no longer apply. Not only will the game feature cross-play and cross-save, but it’s also part of a super-cool promotional offer where anyone who purchases Ratchet & Clank: QForce for PS3 will be able to download the PS Vita version of the game from Playstation Network at no additional cost.

Ratchet and Clank- Full Frontal Assault

And, today, we have even more news to share. A few weeks ago, we revealed the first gameplay details about Ratchet & Clank: QForce. We even teased a new online mode, and now it’s time to expose it all right here.

Ratchet & Clank: QForce is returning to the classic camera, weapons and third-person Ratchet gameplay that the series is known for, while adding a new base defense element that will have you building and defending a base against invasions using your ultimate Ratchet & Clank arsenal.

Well, the further we got into development, the more we felt like we just had to add a player vs. player mode. We’re big fans of the multiplayer modes in Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal and Ratchet: Deadlocked and got excited about the opportunity to bring back competitive play to the franchise. The result of our efforts is an intense, strategic and “Ratchet-y” experience that combines classic Ratchet & Clank mechanics with MOBA-style head-to-head action.

Ratchet and Clank- Full Frontal Assault

The QForce competitive mode will support two to four players and feature ranked and custom games. A match will consist of rounds that are divided into phases. First, there’s a Recon phase where you’ll capture nodes in the battlefield. Then, in the Squad phase, you’ll build your base defenses and minion squads. Finally, it’s time to get nasty. In the Assault phase you’ll annihilate your opponent by attacking their base. The game ends when one side has destroyed all the generators in the opponent’s base.

The game has really taken on a life of its own and we can’t wait for you to experience it for yourself when Ratchet & Clank: QForce launches this Autumn.

Stick to this space for all the latest Ratchet & Clank news this summer and fall as we continue to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our favorite Lombax and his diminutive robotic pal. You can also like Insomniac Games on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

19 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

supersmith2500 15 August, 2012 @ 4:53 pm   1

Buy the PS3 version and get the PSVita free. I love you Insomniac. :D

…so, who’s the villain?

Bumblebee 15 August, 2012 @ 5:02 pm   3

The PS3/Vita cross-buy system is a great idea that I’ve been suggesting for ages, so well done to Sony for finally doing something positive with Vita.

However, A COMPLAINT! I’m sick of the Ratchet & Clank games getting rubbish subtitles over here! “QForce”? What a TERRIBLE name.

As a 38 year old gamer who loves the R&C games and their great sense of humour, I find it patronising that I’m being handed a “safe” title.

The North American title is BRILLIANT. “Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault”. BRILLIANT, and in keeping with the innuendo of previous titles… sadly, also censored outside of North America.

See:

Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando (we get “Locked & Loaded”… WHY?)

Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal (we get… Ratchet & Clank 3″… boring title!)

And now this. “QForce”. I don’t want or care about QForce… I WANT A FULL FRONTAL ASSAULT!

Whichever suit told you that we in UK & Europe can’t handle subtle innuendos was telling porkies. Carry On films did worse from an early age!

Bumblebee 15 August, 2012 @ 5:03 pm   4

So PLEASE… stop patronising us… give us the funny subtitles of your great games! It annoys me every time I play R&C HD Edition that the “Going Commando” bit is blanked out.

R&C Full Frontal Assault PLEASE! It’s a great title! QForce just makes it sound like a lazy spin off! We won’t be offended, just let us laugh with you!

ryannumber3gamer 15 August, 2012 @ 5:18 pm   5

Is the suck cannon and plasma whip coming back? also will mr.zurkon be there?

i would like to know if the card version of the game is coming to europe :)

brucewillis215 15 August, 2012 @ 5:31 pm   7

Hey love that your in for the cross buy feature but if i buy the game in a retail store will i get a code to download the game on the other console?
Or will there be a bundle with the game on disc and card in retail?(I would love that!)

Wish it didn’t had the tower defence crap in there, it would have been a day one buy but now it’s not.
And whats with the stupid name? It should be called Full Frontal Assault With Stupid Tower Defence Crap (RCFFAWSTDC).

Kaffikjelen 15 August, 2012 @ 5:59 pm   9

This is why Insomniac is one of my favourite developers. And if the graphics on the Vita are indeed like the video would suggest, I’m speechless.

Havent played a ratchet and clank since the first 3 on the PS2, and you now you given me the chance to try a new one on my Vita! Thanks!

teetboy71 15 August, 2012 @ 6:19 pm   11

Like the idea cross buy, cloud save.

fjernbetjening 15 August, 2012 @ 6:55 pm   12

@bumblebee (#3)

Well, we still have my personal favorite game title in the series: “Quest For Booty” Heheheheh… And “Tools Of Destruction” isn’t bad either… Oh, and let’s not forget “Size Matters”. :D

But I agree, We should have “Going Commando”, “Up Your Arsenal” “Deadlocked” and “Full Frontal Assault” as well.

Insomniac, Y U NO GIVE US ALL THE GOOD TITLES? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

maddogarchie64 15 August, 2012 @ 10:16 pm   13

we want the good titles, not the boring ones which make the games sound cheesy and unappealing, even though R&C is amazing

I assume the cross-buy promotion applies the other way as well? As in buy the PS Vita version; get the PS3 version free? It’s just easier for me to buy this kind of thing from my Vita, and that’s what I’ll be playing this most on.

@14, why would you be able to do that? You buy the ps3 version and you get the vita one for free. If it was the other way around you would be paying $40 and getting a $60 game for free

quackerzacher 16 August, 2012 @ 4:31 am   16

WHY Q FORCE FULL FRONTAL ASSAULT WAS WAY BETTER nice cross buy btw

WEAV3RSON_05 16 August, 2012 @ 6:33 am   17

Does the cross-play include the retail ps3 game, will there be a Vita download voucher in the box?

Fully agree with 3 (Bumblebee), [DELETED] is with the Q-Force title? Give us all the same real titles. Up Your Arsenal is a genius title btw.

BRANDON-BARTIE 16 August, 2012 @ 9:10 am   19

Is the multiplayer also on Vita, and will Vita and PS3 be able to play online together? I may buy for Vita multiplayer!