Posted 17 August

Hands-on At Gamescom: Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch

Ni No Kuni - Screen 3

While waiting to get hands-on with Dishonored here at Gamescom (more on that next week), I ran into an acquaintance from Namco Bandai. He invited me to their booth to experience the two new demos for Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch being shown. I didn’t pass on the opportunity, if nothing else, as an excuse to share beautiful new screens and video with you. Parts of what I saw are showcased in this new gamescom trailer, so do your eyes a favour and roll the video:

The first demo, “An Errand for Father Oak,” takes place very early into the game as diminutive hero-in-training Oliver is trying to get to the Ding Dong Dell, the Cat King’s Castle. When the downtrodden gate guard won’t let you in, you’ll have to venture into the forest to capture “vigor” from forest denizens in a special jar to pep him up and let you in. While this all sounds ridiculous, Ni no Kuni comes off as incredibly charming in person, in no small part to the stunning visuals.

Ni No Kuni - Screen 2

The second demo, “Eruption Interruption,” takes place further into the game, and shows off a somewhat more serious side to Ni no Kuni. This volcano setting is a far cry from the verdant fields we’ve seen from the game thus far – it’s closer to Mount Doom. The visual effects here look great, with of lava flows and heat wave effects blurring the scenery. The scene has players performing some mild platforming actions, such as shimmying along a cliff face, avoiding erupting steam vents.

Ni No Kuni - Screen 1

At the peak of the caldera, the plucky team is pitted against a big boss: Moltaan, Lord of Lava. This is where it became clear that despite the cutesy visuals, this is a real, challenging game. Moltaan looms so large that he doesn’t always fit on screen, and the battle was suitably epic, lasting nearly 10 minutes and pushing the heroes to the brink of defeat.

The more I’ve seen of Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, the tougher the wait until its release on 25th January 2013.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

17 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

VictorAnalogy 17 August, 2012 @ 4:09 pm   1

Want this game so much. Do we get the version with the spell book and what not?

Pug-zilla 17 August, 2012 @ 4:10 pm   2

This game is so high up on my want list that I had to build extra levels to accommodate it, ever since it was announced that it was coming to the PS3 not just the DS I was like oh my god Sony and Studio Ghibli what more could any one want. Would love to see them incorporate the vita as the spell book that the DS is getting.

AaronSOLDIER 17 August, 2012 @ 4:11 pm   3

Why don’t Sony make JRPGs like this?

VictorAnalogy 17 August, 2012 @ 4:13 pm   4

Never mind. Actually watched the video to the end. Wizards Edition it is. :D

Looks good, haven’t played a proper rpg since Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2.

The wizard edition is available to pre-order from Gamestop.ie in Ireland

I’m gonna get the Wizard Edition for this, really looking forward to this game :)

Way of the Samurai 4, The Last Guardian and this are the 3 PS3 games I’m currently looking forward to the most.

I have been watching the E-stores so that I can pre-order Ni No Kuni since seeing it at E3 2011! I am so glad we are getting the The Wizard Edition because I looked at the Japanese release with envy. (I have been tempted to import it) My pre-order is safe and has been for a while now. I just can’t wait for January :D

Speaking of a demo, Any chance of it going up on psn any time soon? I really want to play it.

Falcon1991 17 August, 2012 @ 6:14 pm   10

I honestly CAN NOT wait for this dream game.

HouseQuake 17 August, 2012 @ 6:15 pm   11

This is the best looking RPG i have seen since DQVlll….and for the 1st time ever, i reckon a game has a shot at being my fave of all time and topple the mighty FFVll.

Sony should be pushing this game big time. Level 5 (the new SquareSoft) blessed them with yet another exclusive, it should be respected as a major release.

I cannot wait for this game. I shouldn’t of waited 5 years for an actual good looking RPG to begin with, but such is the hit-and-miss way of this gen.

Gave me goosebumps.

Pre-ordering the special edition as soon as its available.

KillaT2501 18 August, 2012 @ 3:30 pm   13

I am getting this day one!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BRING OUT A VITA VERSION

MitchZombie 20 August, 2012 @ 4:39 am   14

WOW this looks great, Will be getting this for sure!

hitman_stephen 20 August, 2012 @ 9:19 am   15

Looks good! I would get this! If it was on the ps vita…

“When lauching the first demo, the demonstrator made a point of showing that the game features a Japanese language VO selection option. This is a frequent request from JRPG fans, so rest assured that matter is settled.”

Wow. That only took… let’s see.. one and half year to get anyone to find out was a good idea.

monoliet 21 August, 2012 @ 7:10 pm   17

chhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh not need to put fire on wounds =

why not in sept ???? not one good game in sept .

jep promote game big .