Posted 23 August

The Studio Unveils New Killzone XMB Theme

New Killzone XMB them

Since its launch over a year ago The Studio has brought some of the world’s most exciting artists into the digital world of the PS3, creating bespoke themes and icons which have transformed the look of your XMB. One of these artists, and in fact one of the first featured on The Studio, is illustrator Kristian Hammerstad based in Oslo, whose distinctive ‘Hungry Eyes’ theme became an early hit. He is now back, this time with his take on the Killzone franchise.

Hand-drawn in striking blood-red, black and white, Kristian’s design for this dynamic theme is influenced by all aspects of pop culture. “I draw inspiration from a million different things” he told us, “but perhaps mainly comics and films. For this particular theme the main inspiration was of course also the Killzone game.”

Bringing to life the powerful momentum of the marching army, this is certainly one of The Studio’s most striking themes to date. In celebration of that fact we are also giving you the chance to own a limited edition print of the artwork – head over to the community forum to find out more!

Killzone is available now as both a dynamic theme for your PS3 (£2.39/€2.99/AU$4.95) and as a static background on PSP (£0.79/€0.99/AU$1.75) from the PlayStation Store.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

15 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

PARAN0ID_PANDA3 24 August, 2012 @ 3:09 pm   1

I NEED THIS :o

Pretty awesome :D

Why are their no themes for the psvita on the store?

Jewad, why have you posted this article and not The Studio themselves?

Coody-Baroody 24 August, 2012 @ 6:16 pm   5

@4 You pay because each and every single time ive used those free PS3 theme websites i have brought through corrupted data that has corrupted my Hard Drive.

And also because 99% of the themes on those sites are poop.

Coody-Baroody 24 August, 2012 @ 6:19 pm   6

And as for the actual Killzone theme? I bought it as soon as i saw it but i have to say that it couldve done without the General (cant remember his name, its Vasari is it? From Killzone 2?) at the front. He just looks silly walking on then walking backwards off camera.

The rest of it is awesome.

Not really been impressed with anything from The Studio so far and I’ve always wondered why they don’t do game related themes and such. Just generic skulls and whatnot. Not into Killzone either but if this theme was Uncharted, or The Last of Us and the people replaced with zombies or something… I might love you.

Stonesthrow 24 August, 2012 @ 11:48 pm   8

Haven’t gotten anything from the Studio yet because it’s not game related but this looks pretty cool, I’m all over anything Killzone :p

Dan Moore 25 August, 2012 @ 1:15 pm   9

Thanks for the comments guys, I’m glad the response it generally good! Here’s responses to your individual messages:

@taurus82
I have comment access but Jawad is the master of the Blog – we work closely with him on all things The Studio

@Coody-Baroody
Thanks for the first comment – the general comes on and off, so he’s not there all the time.

@OnikenUK
This is the first of many game related Themes we’ve got coming up, so hopefully you’ll like what you see moving forwards.

@Stonesthrow
Thanks for the vibes – hopefully you’re a Studio convert now!

kit-tiger 25 August, 2012 @ 4:29 pm   10

Awesome ! definitely one of the best themes yet and certainly the best by the Studio crew. I think there should be much more game themed one’s like this from you fellows don’t you ?

taurus82 25 August, 2012 @ 4:45 pm   11

@kit-tiger, actually Jasper Goodall’s Lake of Sorrows would have to The Studio’s best offering, in my humble opinion.

@Dan Moore, Perhaps now can add your piece about your willing and ableness to produce music visualisation for PS3 (perhaps Vita also), yet Sony will not allow it despite (probably) not costing them any extra.

People often ask me, upon seeing eboys awesome theme “What game is this?”. It would make an interesting game. It must be hard with themes making them so they are not too bright or ott and then there is getting the right themes in the right place in the store(I went to buy Skwaks Maniac Dream static Theme which was the one I wanted but Sony mistakingly MISLABELED his other theme The Monster Maniac Static Theme as the former(it is still listed wrongly under my themes in settings). I complained but never heard anything back. At least they have rectified their mistake so other peops get what they think they are buying.
I hope to see God of War themes. Killzone is easier to do for The Studio as it’s style fits in with their niche, but I hope we see some Kratos stuff by them.

Malik7866 27 August, 2012 @ 11:37 am   13

It would be awesome if we could have the following themes:

1) GT5 theme with different cars driving on and off in different ways,

2) journey around the galaxy

3) journey around planet earth

4) star wars style trench run (pov)

5) Sonic style dizzying rail grind

6) a giant clock, but you can see all the mechanics of it working

7) evolution

8) matrixy bullet time one where moving cursor left and right spins the camera left and right

What are the limitations as to how big and complicated you can make a theme?

Seriously? Post about one theme?

x-X-xAyax-X-x 6 September, 2012 @ 2:59 pm   15

Oki, I have noh clue where to write this but I was searching if there was a way for PSN Members to get their work into Studio such as avatars and themes? I reaally would like to make some Avatars, and I wouldn’t want to get paid for it or anything just as long as I could use my own. Is this possible at all? Preease?

Thankoo for your time! (“⌒∇⌒”)