Posted 5:00pm

Weekend Debate: Alternative Game Soundtracks

So, this week my gaming time has mainly been dominated by Sound Shapes which, in case you are among the uninitiated, is a lovely melding of quirky art design, off-the-wall audio and fun platforming mechanics.

Its brilliant soundtrack – which is absolutely integral to the gameplay – is provided by the likes of Beck and Deadmau5. Playing through the game got me thinking about what other acts would be a great fit for the title. And it’s that thought which I’m using as a springboard for today’s Weekend Debate.

You can commission one act to re-record its own soundtrack to a particular game.
Who do you choose?

So, Crash Bandicoot leaping along to the strains of Napalm Death, perhaps? Or Killzone played out by One Direction? Leave your suggestions below. And feel free to plump for a game that’s not released yet. How about Godspeed You! Black Emperor for The Last of Us?

We’ve a slightly different prize this week. The most thoughtful – or the funniest – entry wins a Collector’s Edition of the thoroughly excellent Darksiders II (no, really – it’s ace), which released on PlayStation 3 this week. The set includes the game, an art book, a download voucher for the soundtrack, a life-sized replica Death mask and exclusive DLC. Check out the trailer below for a closer look at the game itself.

In addition, I’ve got 30 download vouchers for Dark Horse’s Darksiders II digital comic for the runners-up.

Have at it.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

106 Comments 32 Author replies
Show oldest first

johngenegenie 24 August, 2012 @ 5:10 pm   1

I’d have to plump for the Velvet Underground and Nico re-recording the soundtrack to Parappa the Rapper… Somehow I couldn’t see it being so kid friendly any more…

VictorAnalogy 24 August, 2012 @ 5:11 pm   2

Shadow of the Colossus to the sound of Eric Carmen’s (no, not the fat kid from South Park) “All by Myself”.

Either that or Ico and Randy Newman’s “You’ve got a friend in me.”

Shift_Breaker 24 August, 2012 @ 5:12 pm   3

Phish doing the soundtrack for Pandemonium 2, definitely. The game was strange enough as it is, so a 30 minute light show for a single jam session would make it perfect. Especially if you put the acid trip textures on while playing it.

supersmith2500 24 August, 2012 @ 5:14 pm   4

If wipEout still exists. I’d hire Tim Wright, Prodigy and especially Texas F*****t to create new songs for wipEout. If Studio Liverpool isn’t shut down that is.

fjernbetjening 24 August, 2012 @ 5:15 pm   5

I would pretty put any piece of music into ICO. I love the game, but in all honesty, it’s just too quiet.

Maybe Utada Hikaru, who sings the main themes for Kingdom Hearts: “Simple and Clean” and “Sanctuary”, with some help from Yoko Shimomura. Although it should be new songs, made for the game – It could add a whole new level of emotion to an already very emotional game.

The game should still keep the song “You Were There” though, it fits so perfectly. ;-)

How about the ‘Mechanical Animals’ era Marilyn Manson re-recording the soundtrack to Tokyo Jungle? Just the image of a group of chihuahuas running around to a song like ‘Rock is Dead’ makes me smile, hehe.

Off the back of playing Guitar Hero, I’d have to see Foghat sing their song “Slow Ride” as the title music for either Sonic The Hedgehog, or Theme Park Tycoon!

Slow Ride. Take it easy!

Got to be Right Said Fred working their magic on Dead Space. :)

KavinSarragin 24 August, 2012 @ 5:17 pm   9

Final Fantasy 7. The game has a great soundtrack, but a fully orchestral one would enhance the immersion.

moriarty1975 24 August, 2012 @ 5:17 pm   10

Top Gears James May remixing GT5′s (or pretty much any racing game on PS3)soundtrack using samples of engine noises.

But that could get annoying after a while!

GothPunk 24 August, 2012 @ 5:18 pm   11

@VictorAnalogy: “These days I’m often found playing Wipeout 2048 on my PS Vita to the awesome Daft Punk soundtrack to Tron: Legacy. AGRC Ships > Lightcycles.”

:O What a good idea! Must try this later.

makoman3 24 August, 2012 @ 5:27 pm   12

Faith no more, A small victory, Pure Chess

Tidus5005 24 August, 2012 @ 5:27 pm   13

I love Anamanaguchi. They create awesomely catchy chiptune music mixed with a bit of synth. It’s makes me feel all nostalgic and happy and makes me think of my childhood.

It brilliant as a soundtrack to to WipEout. Technically you can already use your own music in WipEout, so I can tell you now that I have tested the combination extensively. Anamanaguchi and WipEout go together like cheese and pickle.

It’s also worth noting that Anamanaguchi did the whole soundtrack to the Scott Pilgrim vs. the World PSN game, and we all know how brilliant that soundtrack is.

Alex-1124 24 August, 2012 @ 5:34 pm   14

It would have to be Frank Sinatra on the Escape Plan soundtrack, his music and the game carried a lot of charm, that old black and white feeling which would’ve been absolutely perfect together. When you listen to Sinatra you think back to the black and white times and Escape Plan somewhat feels old school, they would just go with one another because them two things together would’ve been a match made in heaven!

Last_Assassin101 24 August, 2012 @ 5:34 pm   15

Since it’s Dark Souls time again these days, I would even kill just so after a death in-game Bob McFerrin would spawn at the bonfire with me singing “Don’t worry, Be happy” making me stop tearing apart my shirt… That would be damn hilarious :D

Dante_Zero 24 August, 2012 @ 5:36 pm   16

Cafe del Mar doing the soundtrack to Journey. I know the soundtrack to journey is amazing anyway but having those soft baleric chillaxed beats as you travel through Journey would on add to the imersion.

Some happy Hardcore music in dead space would make for some epic comedy value.
Carly Rae Jespen playing at the start of every mp match Call of Duty, wounder how long people would keep playing it? lol

Another one would be the Verve bitter sweet symphony for the either of the endings of infamous 2.

I love the soundtrack of Zone Of The Enders: The Second Runner, but if I had to change it, I would use Arjen Anthony Lucassen’s work. Probably from Star One, but maybe something from Ayreon too. Intergalactic Space Crusader track from the first Star One album should be in the game, but not that track only XD

for me id choose steel panther to record a sound track for saints row.

as this game has so much humour in it and a fair degree of filth in it i think there music would be a perfect fit.

songs like community property and death to all but metal would just blend into the game imo.

i wish the game had a custom soundtrack option to do this myself

ryannumber3gamer 24 August, 2012 @ 5:51 pm   19

Part 1

I had a hard time deciding this topic. I loved Naughty Dog’s music and i love The Jak games soundtracks. I love how the soundtrack to Jak & Daxter the precursor Leagcy fitted the fun feel. I loved how Jak 2′s soundtrack fitted the dark change to Jak, and i love how Jak 3′s soundtrack fitted with Jak being left for dead and having to survive. But then i throught ”What about Ratchet & Clank?” I loved how the music fitted to the space theme and sci fi theme. I loved how the music can change from being all bright and fun to dark and atmosphere music in places. But then i throught ”But hold on what about Sly?” Sly’s music fitted the tone greatly, Changing from a stealthy soundtrack while Sly’s climbing around the rooftops of Paris to Loud music like when inside Dimitri’s Nightclub or the Dimitri’s boss fight (One of my favorite boss themes…Sly:And your suit sucks! Best Sly moment ever)But then i throught ”But Little Big Planet’s soundtrack was great too. Media Molecule took it one step more by letting you pick what catchy song you wanted for your level and almost all of LBP’s soundtrack is very catchy and great and i also love that song in the tearaway trailer!.

ryannumber3gamer 24 August, 2012 @ 5:52 pm   20

Part 2.

So once again this had come down to a hard choice between Naughty Dog,Insomniac Games,Sucker Punch, and Media Molecule. So i decided to go to Uncharted and Infamous. Uncharted’s music fitted great with it’s adventurous feeling and it fit’s with Nate’s adventure. Infamous 2′s soundtrack how it changed depending if you chose to be good or evil. But i picked Naughty Dog. I LOVED Jak & Daxter the precursor leagcy’s soundtrack. I always find myself listening to the song from the trailer from a demo disc of Jak & Daxter from 2000-2001. I loved how the music could be all fun and happy like in Sandover Village and Sandover Beach and then the music could turn dark in places like Forbidden Jungle,Then Atmosphere music in places like Snowy Mountain. I loved how the music just switches smoothly when you go into a different area. Over all I LOVE this game’s soundtrack, I think it should be re-recorded and put on the Playstation store in the soundtracks part.

ryannumber3gamer 24 August, 2012 @ 5:52 pm   21

Part 3.

Naughty Dog knew how to make great music for this game and all i can say to Naughty Dog is Thank You for making Jak & Daxter the precursor leagcy’s soundtrack because i love it. Your other soundtracks are great but Jak & Daxter The Precursor Leagcy is one of my favorite games of all time. There is a reason why i love this soundtrack and game and that’s because it was one of the first PS2 games i played and loved. I love Ratchet & Clank’s games and soundtracks too but i love Jak & Daxter’s more. I think i have said all i could about why i love this soundtrack and why i think it should be re-recorded and released on the Playstation Store.

DAVIE222 24 August, 2012 @ 5:53 pm   22

ASSASSINS CREED 2 MAIN THEME SONG MAKES ME FEEL LIKE DESMON, DONT ASK ME WHY.

I would loves me some of The Hoosiers, on Gran Turismo 5! Really gets me in the racing mood! Though because of that, not the best music to be driving in reality to!

Osahi_be 24 August, 2012 @ 5:58 pm   24

I would ask The Doors (with Jim Morrison alive offcourse!) to make music for Spec Ops: The Line.

The game has an incredible soundtrack that evoces the right Apocalypse Now feel (with Jimi Hendrix, and contamporary psychedelic rock bands as the black angels and Black Mountain), but how much greater would it be with a Doors soundtrack?

The End over ominous firefights, haunting horrific moments with that fantastic, buzzing guitar play of Robbie Krieger? Maybe a Jim Morisson Poem over music during some scènes (that dark, heavy voice, those alluring, strange lyrics!)

It would make the incredible atmosphere of Spec Ops: The Line even more dark, more haunting, …

kinglambert 24 August, 2012 @ 6:00 pm   25

Nothing beats Armored Core V with the album Tiny Reminders by Two Lone Swordsmen. I once saw them play the album live with the original Transformers animated movie re-edited by the Light Surgeons as visuals. From that day on I’ve accompanied any and every big ass robot game with this album.
If you want the proof just listen to this and try to tell me that you don’t imagine boot sequences, machine movement and a field of vision filled with binary.

Benny Hill, could you imagine the infamous Benny Hill theme coming on as the guards in metal gear solid get alerted of your prescence. That would have been awesome.

V00D00CHARL1E 24 August, 2012 @ 6:06 pm   27

Any post apocalyptic game, ie I Am Alone or The Last of Us, played to the Eric Idle classic, Always Look On The Bright Side of Life

Fred Dutton 28 August, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

Congrats – you got the biggest chuckle out of our judges. Darksiders 2 Collectors Edition is yours. We’ll be in touch soon…

RoboAddy 24 August, 2012 @ 6:08 pm   28

Nine Inch Nails doing Rage

Coody-Baroody 24 August, 2012 @ 6:09 pm   29

Mine would have to be Pink Floyd’s ‘Dark Side Of The Moon’ album. To include that into ‘Journey’ would be an amazing fit.
Or even ‘Flower’ too.
With Dave Gilmour’s unmistakeable melancholic guitar licks, each and every track on that ground breaking piece would sit very nicely alongside the gameplay of ‘Journey’.

Just as ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ was so far ahead of its time in 1973, so too, in my opinion is ‘Journey’ so far ahead of its competition in the gaming market for immersion amd escapism. Just basically close the door, turn off the lights and your phone and just kick back with your Little Scarfed Friend.

All things can EASILY also be described when relaxing and listening to Pink Floyd’s timeless masterpiece.

Shadiest187 24 August, 2012 @ 6:14 pm   30

Of Monsters & Men providing music for Beyond: Two Souls with a special rendition of their hauntingly beautiful “Little Talks” to fit in with the relationship/connection Jodie & her spirit companion Ivan have :)

Agamer2006 24 August, 2012 @ 6:26 pm   31

I think Mr blobby should provide the soundtrack to GTA5. Im sure am the only one not to think that right……right.

We could always reedit this classic as the intro

You know what, we should just have him to the voicework too :)

Solid_Snake1987 24 August, 2012 @ 6:33 pm   32

I’d get the cast of PlayStation from past and present to re-record songs for Singstar. Yes, I’ve turned the debate on its head!

For example:

Sly Cooper sings Michael Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal”.
Sweet Tooth sings Prodigy’s “Firestarter”.
Crash Bandicoot sings Kylie Minogue’s “Spinning Around”.
Cole McGrath sings Oasis’ “Shock of the Lightning”
Sir Daniel Fortesque can attempt to sing Bobby Pickett’s “Monster Mash”.

As for Kratos… well he can sing Monty Python’s “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life”…

mullet-mania 24 August, 2012 @ 6:39 pm   33

ACDC Highway to Hell on Dantes Inferno :)

Red Faction games start off with the intro “Life On Mars” by David Bowie :)

ElTequillaz 24 August, 2012 @ 6:46 pm   35

My thoughts are that mind.in.a.box should upgrade the soundtrack to Mirror’s Edge. Here’s a prime example of something that would fit in perfectly:

The music is quite eerie and has a ‘dreamlike’ feel to it. And very fitting, the majority of their first music/albums forms a narrative arc that deals with secrecy, surveilance, underground movement. Themes which are also quite central for Mirror’s Edge

Rodia_73 24 August, 2012 @ 7:11 pm   36

Best music: The soundtrack from SCE Studio Liverpool next Wipeout, whatever it was.

PS: The real weekend debate is: “WTH, Sony?”

uberkakis 24 August, 2012 @ 7:27 pm   37

(This is actually something I’m doing for my own playthrough of the original Darksiders)
As soon the end-cinematic for a boss fight starts, I hit play on some gospel choir – like “Ride on King Jesus” after the Stygian, “I’ll fly away” after Tiamat, etc. It’s awesome :)

toxic-inferno 24 August, 2012 @ 7:31 pm   38

Personally, it would have to be:

Game Series: inFamous
Artist: Wolfmother

Yeah, I know, not the single most well-known band out there, but the classic, almost folk-y tunes played with a heavy-metal beat, on ELECTRIC guitars and technical synthesisers would suit the series brilliantly. Throw in Wolfmother’s classic guitar riffs and the fantastical, almost nomad lyrics, and you’ve got yourself a winner!

The music would fit inFamous’ grungy Empire City perfectly (listen: “Pyramid”, which is perfect in style), as well as the New Orleans-inspired New Marais with its carnival, party-based sounds (I’m thinking “White Unicorn”, if you’re familiar with their music).

Plus, as a bonus, I’ve always felt that their music would fit perfectly to any celtic-style vampire movie, so with inFamous: Festival of Blood, their music would feel right at home!

So, if I could get any artist to re-record the soundtrack to a game, it would certainly by Wolfmother for the inFamous series. No doubt about it.

Opt1mus76 24 August, 2012 @ 7:34 pm   39

Wow, that’s tough one. Developers spend ages matching music to the game but there are occasions when perhaps I’ve felt they got it wrong.
One such game is CoD:Black Ops. Don’t get me wrong because I like the song but the Stones’ Sympathy For The Devil wouldn’t have been my first choice. I just didn’t feel the link between song and what was going on in-game in a way that made it memorable.
After years of watching Tour of Duty, I started listening to the Stones’ because of Paint It Black. It matched the subject of the series so well. It has become almost symbolic of the era to me and the subdued intro building to the faster pace and more upbeat tune is so much more the track that should have been used.
As for a less serious suggestion, Darksiders 2 and Road To Hell (Chris Rea). I had a friend, who died many years ago, that had an American GMC van covered with superb Road To Hell airbrush artwork depicting Death on his horse riding down the road to hell leaving carnage in his wake. Sadly the van was destroyed due to the circumstances of his passing

Definately Brian Eno – an ending (ascent) for the Last of Us, seriously look it up its an emotional song

rabbitfrog 24 August, 2012 @ 7:57 pm   41

For LittleBigPlanet a I would have ‘It’s a small world’.
Also the Verve’s ‘Drugs don’t work’ for Max Payne or ‘Tubthumping’ by Chumbawamba if you want a lighter feel to the game.

dee4life4444 24 August, 2012 @ 8:23 pm   42

Hmmmm, how about on the Call Of Duty series, you could get an ipod for a killstreak of 7 and you had the choice of Radiohead or Spice Girls?

Questions for last week’s winners(Sound Shapes) !

Did you get the code ?

If so, is it working ?

Mine did not work :(
He(MartyatMaxCommunity TeamModerator) replied back and said he is getting into this and hopes to solve this as soon as possible.

Now all I can do is wait…

TheNudgeMan 24 August, 2012 @ 8:46 pm   44

I would have Randy Newman narrate the entire soundtrack of Uncharted 3 a la that early episode of Family Guy.

ESPGANESAIII 24 August, 2012 @ 8:51 pm   45

Versailles Philharmonic quintet redoing the Castlevania Symphony of the Night soundtrack, It’s a very baroque and neo-classical soundtrack and Versailles are a very neo-classical band (frequent use of the harpischord come to mind). They also look the part, thats not important though.

Imagine charging through the tainted halls of Draculas castle listening to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6BKYTAQXvA

I personally think they would create a soundtrack to be remembered just like Michiru Yamane’s rendition.

skatepunk36 24 August, 2012 @ 9:26 pm   46

Skrillex doing Space Invaders!!!

sounds like an old modem , fits perfect to a 8 bit game

silmorat1 24 August, 2012 @ 10:13 pm   47

I think theres a severe lack of reggae music in games so how about some Bob Marley on littlebigplanet, if he was still alive we would all be ‘jammin’ so to speak

Fred Dutton 28 August, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

Not that you mention it, yes, there’s a troubling lack of skanking in video games. Comic code is yours for raising the flag.

Bealinator 24 August, 2012 @ 10:56 pm   48

Very simple, really. And this just popped into my head when I thought of Final Fantasy XIII. Remember the promotional videos with Leona Lewis? Well instead of that ‘quality’ song she recorded for that game, how about this?

Remember her incredibly non-repetitive song “Bleeding Love” where she repeated the lyrics for several minutes? “Bleeding” features a lot, and so why not feature this soundtrack in, say, a God of War title where enemies bleed a lot, as does the protagonist Kratos? You see, this soundtrack would be expressing the thoughts of the characters who are bleeding. That or Max Payne 3 where a similarly large amount of blood can be found. So by summing up the situation with “I’m bleeding bleeding”, surely this soundtrack would be a fantastic addition to the games?

Forget the quality of the lyrics, but the content is important and for that reason violent games would go with this song like a Bride in a Brothel. No, that’s not right!

jagerross 24 August, 2012 @ 10:57 pm   49

haha love the idea of Napalm Death on crash bandicoot, good to see them mentioned here!

think it would be good to have ‘viking’ bands on games of that genre, such as Amon Amarth doing the soundtrack to Thor.

that said, everything is better with Slayer :P

ExtremeGamer1995 24 August, 2012 @ 11:13 pm   50

Austin Wintory and every game with music in it ever, HAVEN’T YOU PLAYED JOURNEY.

Load all