Posted 4 September

Plants vs. Zombies Invades Zen Pinball 2

Hello PS Bloggites. Today we’re giving you something a little different! I’m going to dynamically tag-team this post with Jeff Green, Community Manager for PopCap Games. We wanted to share with you a little bit about how Zen and PopCap worked together to create the Plants vs. Zombies Pinball table, releasing tomorrow right alongside Zen Pinball 2 for PlayStation 3 and PS Vita. Enough of me rambling though; take a look at the trailer.

Jeff: The first thing you need to know about this Plants vs. Zombies table is that it is built out of authentic Plants vs. Zombies bits and pieces. We handed Zen Studios original game assets including art, sounds, objects, zombies, flowers, plants, defenses – ok, you get it – in a beautiful package of digital goodness. Zen took these and went to work designing another brilliant pinball table. We asked Crazy Dave for some wisdom to send along to Zen: “MMMMMM PINBALL”.

Neil: When we first received all these assets, our excitement level went through the roof. We were beyond excited! The second thing that went through our mind: wait, Plants vs. Zombies is 2D, are there any 3D assets? Obviously, the answer was no. One of the first things we had to figure out was how to translate a very deliberate, slow-paced 2D game into a fast-paced, frantic pinball game with 3D interactive characters. The team went to work creating a bunch of 3D models for the zombies, plants, Melon Pults, and Crazy Dave’s jalopy. We then had to figure out how to incorporate all of these into the table geometry. Luckily, we received tremendous help from the Plants, and Crazy Dave also turned out to be very supportive.

Zen Pinball 2: Plants vs. Zombies TableZen Pinball 2: Plants vs. Zombies Table

Jeff: When the Zen Studios team started sending us materials for approval, we were seriously impressed with how they were translating 2D to 3D. It was like Plants vs. Zombies was completely new again, totally remade for a brand new experience. The day playable code showed up, we were all lost in a “wow” moment. We about lost it when the “Going Nuts” mission started and fog came billowing in across the table, while zombies started marching toward the door step. That’s when we knew the true spirit of Plants vs. Zombies had been successfully captured in this pinball creation.

Zen Pinball 2: Plants vs. Zombies Table

This was the very first time PopCap has ever licensed out any of our game properties or worked with another developer on this level. Zen did a stellar job – the table turned out better than anyone could have expected.

Neil: It’s been quite a good time working on pinball over the past few years. We have had the privilege and honour of working with some of the biggest names in entertainment, and some of the most creative people in the industry. Working with PopCap has certainly been an amazing experience, and it’s really cool that our first project together will release today along with Zen Pinball 2. When I look at the game, I see the work of so many… not just Zen Studios people, but people at Tecmo, Capcom, Marvel, and now PopCap have contributed so much to this game.

We sincerely hope you enjoy the new Zen Pinball 2 platform and Plants vz. Zombies table. Don’t forget, this is a Cross Buy game, so buy it once and get it on both PS3 and PS Vita! If you have any questions about Zen Pinball 2, check out the FAQ we have put together in the Zen Pinball 2 forum. We’ll be here to answer your questions all day long!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

57 Comments 26 Author replies
Show oldest first
Falcon1991 4 September, 2012 @ 6:10 pm   1

Definitely a cool mash-up. :)

I hope more developers give it a go.

Dante_Zero 4 September, 2012 @ 6:10 pm   2

will the trophy lists be combined or will psvita have its own set of trophys and dare i say it perhaps a platty. ?

After the PvsZ table will there be more tables to come?

Tomorrow afternoon can’t come quick enough. especially since i just platted PvsZ on my psvita.

Neil Sorens 4 September, 2012 @ 7:26 pm

The PS Vita and PS3 versions each have their own trophies that you need to earn independently.

There are more tables coming, yes!

Thanks!

nemesisND1derboy 4 September, 2012 @ 6:13 pm   3

Hey guys, can those of us who got Zen Pinball and Marvel Pinball through PS+ import our tables for free or do we have to buy them again? Will they work on both PS3 and Vita?

Neil Sorens 4 September, 2012 @ 7:26 pm

Yes, if you downloaded Zen Pinball or Marvel Pinball during a PS+ promo, you still get all the import benefits, and the tables will work on both PS Vita and PS3.

Dante_Zero 4 September, 2012 @ 6:15 pm   4

Will Zen pinball two contain all the features simuliar to the ps3 version with MP, Video chat in mp, custom soundtracks leader boards etc.?

also another question to the Zen peeps can you give us and indication of when Kickbeat will be arriving on our vitas? the game looks sick and i can’t wait to play it especially with my owns tunes loaded into it.

Neil Sorens 4 September, 2012 @ 7:27 pm

ZP2 has all the features that MP has, plus a BUNCH more.

KickBeat should be out this year. We are working around the clock to get it done.

Dante_Zero 4 September, 2012 @ 6:16 pm   5

in meant in regards to the psvita version having those feature. this blog seriously needs an edit comment button. :(

nemesisND1derboy 4 September, 2012 @ 6:23 pm   6

Ahhh probably should have read the FAQ! They do carry over from PS+.

Can’t wait! :-)

TINTINTB303 4 September, 2012 @ 6:26 pm   8

Why do the mods feel the need to delete my post asking about the price???

Not a good sign :-(

oh and I mentioned the video wasn’t playing which is now fixed.

TINTINTB303 4 September, 2012 @ 6:47 pm   9

Don’t bother asking any questions as this is an exact copy and paste of the blog post made in the US blog (where they are actually answering questions).

I thought

“We’ll be here to answer your questions all day long!”

was an odd comment to make so late on in the day!!

:-(

Neil Sorens 4 September, 2012 @ 7:50 pm

We’re here! What questions do you have?

Price for the Plants vs. Zombies table is 2,99 EUR.

Skookie30 4 September, 2012 @ 6:55 pm   10

Neil Sorens on September 4th, 2012 at 10:38 am said:

“That is correct. Download Zen Pinball 2 for free today, import all your old tables and off you go. Any tables you do not yet have will be there for sale. Don’t forget to download to Vita as well! ”

so i take it for ppl that bought ZP1 we get ZP2 free, ZP2 with vita & ps3 & imports over ZP1 DLC to ZP2 yes?

Neil Sorens 4 September, 2012 @ 7:51 pm

ZP2 is a free download for everyone. If you have purchased any tables previously, these will be unlocked for you to play on both PS3 and Vita. If you have not bought any tables, you will need to purchase them in ZP2.

Sp4rkyM4rk1337 4 September, 2012 @ 6:56 pm   11

So you go ahead and create a table based on my favourite tower defence game for my favourite pinball game. There goes my Wednesday. :D

Psicojacorral 4 September, 2012 @ 7:01 pm   12

Great game, great table!

This is a dream !!

Thank you for all your hard work! I will be buying this the moment it is available.

:D

Aw man need to wait till tomorrow. Can’t wait to get my hands on it. The vita has been crying out for this game.
Good job on the pvz table I will be buying that too. \m/

Voodoo341 4 September, 2012 @ 8:03 pm   15

@Neil
How do you feel about SCEE’s inept QA system and all the [CENSORED] off PS3 owners deserting their PS3′s because SCEE can’t communicate? Would you be [CENSORED] off if SCEE failed to release your game in their biggest market but Microsoft and Valve could?

uncleniccius 4 September, 2012 @ 8:33 pm   16

Hi Neil, how do we access Zen 2? From the store? Or from Marvel Pinball.

Neil Sorens 4 September, 2012 @ 9:07 pm

Yes, just search for Zen Pinball 2 (tomorrow), or load up Marvel Pinball and you will be presented with an option to download Zen Pinball 2 from the store.

love this series have all the marvel tables and have Zen 1 with epic quest and street fighter plan to pick up the rest soon with the pvz table being top of the list. are there plans for more marvel stuff in future? keep up the great work will have this on my vita tomorrow

uncleniccius 4 September, 2012 @ 8:45 pm   18

I just checked and you download for free, and then can import tables. How will the Vita version get the original Marvel Pinball tables (the ones that came with the purchase of the game?) or will the Vita check if you have the game on your D/L list?

Neil Sorens 4 September, 2012 @ 9:09 pm

The system will recognize what you have purchased in the past (both ZP and Marvel Pinball) and allow you to import what is bought. It’s pretty complicated, but we figured it out!

chrisboers 4 September, 2012 @ 8:46 pm   19

Awesome!
I have some tables from earlier PS+ releases, and will have to check them out on my Vita tomorrow, but this new one definitely looks like a great new addition. I normally love the ‘physical’ tables, but what you guys do with these new -digital only- tables is marvellous! This one is definitely on my buying list!

lardteamaker 4 September, 2012 @ 8:56 pm   20

Nice. I’ll be able to practice to defend my PS Nation League title from tomorrow. :)

Are there any plans to hold a sale or give PS+ Member discount on previous DLC tables?

Neil Sorens 4 September, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

No sale plans at the moment. We need to get through this release and see how it all shakes out. We have done a lot of PS+ stuff in the past!

uncleniccius 4 September, 2012 @ 9:55 pm   22

Thanks for the reply! I can’t wait until tomorrow, several tables will be bought.

lardteamaker 4 September, 2012 @ 10:09 pm   23

ooooo while i remember. Has the Fantastic Four issue been sorted and is that ready to transfer?

Scubafinch 4 September, 2012 @ 11:18 pm   24

Thanks for all the hard work in bringing ZP2 to us. This has been my most anticipated Vita title for months! My 4 year old son is going nuts for that Plants Vs Zombies table as well.

TINTINTB303 5 September, 2012 @ 9:28 am   25

@Neil

Please accept my apology for jumping to the conclusion that you were just answering questions from over the pond.

A little bit of miscommunication due to the wording of the post due to it being an exact Copy & Paste of the US blog post ;-)

Cheers for the reply

TINTIN :-)

on a separate note to the mods. Why did you feel the need to delete my initial post asking about the price?
Yes I pointed out the video trailer wasn’t working and that was promply fixed so why couldn’t you have just edited my post and taken the bit out about the video?!? Deleting my entire post seemed very harsh for doing you a favor don’t you think?!?
I was only trying to help in pointing out the fact the video wasn’t working. Shall I not bother if I spot things like that in the future and therefor have NO trailer for anyone to watch??

TINTINTB303 5 September, 2012 @ 9:34 am   26

Looking forward to this though

Wish I had taken advantage of all the half price tables during a sale a while back!

Then again I don’t think I had a Vita at that time or even new about Zen 2 and all it’s cross compatibility!!

I’ve decided to invest in a crystal ball ;-)

Fine, but when will the DLC packs for ***Pinball Arcade*** be available in ***Europe*** ?
DLC 3 and 4 are now available in the US, but DLC 1 and 2 are not even available here ;(
Do you have any info?

Neil Sorens 5 September, 2012 @ 6:44 pm

I do have some info! Namely, that Pinball Arcade is our competitor, and that I don’t have any special insight into their plans.

However, good pinball is good pinball and I hope all of our fans will support their efforts to bring classic tables to PS3 and Vita in addition to getting their fix of original content from Zen Pinball 2.

SuperJag86 5 September, 2012 @ 10:32 am   28

Hi Neil,
I’m a big Zen Pinball fan and I’m very excited to now play all those excellent tables on my Vita.
Quick question, I bought the Vengence and Virtues tables pack on a sub-account so my brother and I could both play them, will I be able to import these to my master account in ZP2?
Thanks.

Neil Sorens 5 September, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

I am not sure how Sony has DRM set up for this type of account structure, but the good news is that it’s free to download ZP2 and try it out!

I was expecting a sales for the tables but if not I wait.
How about the DLC for that other awesome pinball game?

And how does $2.99 translate into €2,99?
This is unacceptable.

FreddyGPaulsen 5 September, 2012 @ 1:00 pm   31

Nice. now give us walking dead ep 3 already (and dont give us that bs “its still in q/a”. if it is, why ? PSN US have it already. Why are PSN Eu taking longer ? And what are you planning to do about that?

CoolRichy008UK 5 September, 2012 @ 1:29 pm   32

Neil Sorens will you make a mega pack so we can buy all the tables lol

CoolRichy008UK 5 September, 2012 @ 1:30 pm   33

walking dead ep 3 has been canncled i been told

marvzilla 5 September, 2012 @ 3:43 pm   34

Guest cameo from Howard the Duck????

Carnivius_Prime 5 September, 2012 @ 5:24 pm   35

Can’t say I enjoyed plants vs zombies at all but more tables for Zen Pinball are always welcome. Little confused about this Zen Pinball 2 thing but will download and figure it out. Does it meant I just run the tables from Zen Pinball 2 and delete the first game and the Marvel Pinball?

Neil Sorens 5 September, 2012 @ 6:48 pm

No need to delete the original games, but you will be able to download the new versions of the tables you own from those games into ZP2 for free.

I bought the original Zen Pinball on May 21, 2009. Now Zen Pinball 2 does not want to give me the original table pack. Is this because it is not yet available?

Neil Sorens 5 September, 2012 @ 7:38 pm

It should be available. Try downloading it from the PS Store rather than from in-game if you’re having an issue. If it still wants to charge you, get a hold of Sony support – hopefully they will be able to check your account and enable the unlock.

chrisboers 5 September, 2012 @ 7:22 pm   37

Having played some tables now on my vita,, I have to say the controls are syper-intuitive! Even my 2 year old son can play. Thanx Zen! I only thought I had more tables through ps plus than the four I hhave right now…

Neil Sorens 5 September, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

The import process may not be catching all of them. However, you can go to the PS Store to get the others.

free tablets dlc from 1st game
how ps vita not geting free orginele dlc ?
+ i buy lots of other maps in 1st game , thema also free dlc ??

also not in vita store !!

I got the Zen Pinball Classics on the PS3 version of Zen Pinball 2 but not on the PSVita Version. They are not in the PSVita store either. Even when I pretend to buy the pack from within the game on my Vita, I get the following message: No content is available yet. All other tables are present on both versions. Great job but not yet perfect.

Neil Sorens 5 September, 2012 @ 9:18 pm

Have you tried going to the PS Store to get it? It looks like we are having some issues with in-game purchasing and importing on the Vita.

loving the update I have the same issue with the classic tables there not on the store for vita. I love the idea of the portrait mode but I find it a bit harder to use than the normal view 3 mode with buttons. great work it really looks fantastic on the vita screen

SuperJag86 5 September, 2012 @ 9:13 pm   41

ZP2 is great on both PS3 and Vita but I can’t get the classic tables on Vita even though I could on PS3. (I bought ZP1)
I can download the trial but it won’t let me access the unlock key.
I hope this gets fixed soon.

Also where is the standalone Fantastic Four table? Did it not make the transition over to ZP2?

Otherwise great job and I can’t wait for more tables – hopefully next week!

SuperJag86 5 September, 2012 @ 9:17 pm   42

Sorry I’ve just seen that you’ve already answered a question about the FF table, woops!

Dear Neil, I clearly stated they are not in the PSVita store, so why do you ask if I have tried to go to the store? This is probably just a mistake by some SCEE employee and I hope it will get sorted soon. As I have read in comments by others, this is not limited to the store in my country.

CreditDue 5 September, 2012 @ 9:57 pm   44

In order to unlock the pvz trophies do I need to purchase anything else other than the pvz table?

Scubafinch 5 September, 2012 @ 10:42 pm   45

I echo the Vita Zen Pinball Classics issue others are having above. I can download both the ‘demo’ tables and the ‘unlock’ for the PS3 but only the ‘demo’ tables on the Vita. There is no ‘unlock’ in the AU PlayStation Store.

So I spent a lot of time with both the PS3 version and the Vita version tonight and I have to say you guys did a stellar job on both! Really fantastic games.

I also have to give a special shoutout to the 3D support in the Playstation 3 version – it is downright spectacular! You designed some great menus in 3D there, and the game itself looks just amazing, some of the best use of 3D in a game so far, in some ways even better than Super Stardust and Trine 2 (on PC).

If you’d ever want to make it perfect, it would be great if you could manage to add a convergence setting, which would help calibrate the 3D to the distance you are sitting from the TV, but man, 3D effect has rarely been this arresting … the table seems so much bigger and you can see everything so much better! Fantastic fantastic fantastic. And the Vita is so beautiful, and yet so butter smooth … and then all these tables so many of which I’d already bought (but I bought five more tables anyway ;) ).

Gush gush gush!

Scubafinch 5 September, 2012 @ 10:59 pm   47

@niwrA Well said. I should have posted my praise before the import issue (as that’s just a minor glitch).

ZP2 was my most anticipated game on the Vita and it does not disappoint. I don’t play the 3D modes of most PS3 games but will give it a go on your recommendation.

Amazing work Zen Studios!

Hi.
I’m having problems on importing Zen Pinball Classic tables into Zen Pinball 2, although this is not the only problem.

I’ll list them below:
PS3:
- I’m able to download trial and unlock for Marvell Pinball and Zen Pinball Classic Tables, no problem here.
- Zen Pinball 2 is a trial, shouldn’t it be full game as it is on the Vita platform ?
- Tried to search and Zen Pinball Classic Tables for PS Vita (from PS3) and it says that the content is not available in my account.

Vita:
- Zen Pinball is full game, no problem.
- I’m able to download trial and unlock for Marvell Pinball, no problem here.
- Zen Pinball Classic tables are not on the ZP 2 DLC list, it only shows up when searched. Although when viewing the item there’s no indication on the price or tranfer button or what so ever.
- After starting ZP 2 trophies were not installed.

Will this be fixed soon ?

Neil Sorens 6 September, 2012 @ 10:46 am

PS3
    - The game is listed as trial until you import or buy PvZ or a 4pack, I believe. If trophies are enabled, then it’s no longer the trial version.
    - We believe the ZP Classic issue is fixed now

Vita
    - ZP Classics should be fixed now.
    - We are looking into the issue with trophies on Vita.

Hey guys, I’m having a little trouble with the Vita version of the game.

The PS3 version acknowledges that I have the full game and allows me to check out the trophy and tournament sections in the man menu, but on the Vita, it insists that I don’t have the full version prompts me to buy the Avengers Chronicles pack.

I don’t understand, I have other tables and besides, I thought the game was free anyway.

48 = ps3 search manuele u then find the game 2
vita = indeed no clasics

i got lots extra maps in part 1 , are them gone be released + do i need to pay again ?

ps. store realy big mess

ps+ freebies whith big picters u see lots of empti spaces !!!!!

Neil Sorens 6 September, 2012 @ 10:02 am

All your tables from Zen Pinball and Marvel Pinball will be available free in Zen Pinball 2. Some might not be available right this minute, but they should be there soon.

Load all