Posted 6 September

Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance Cuts To The Chase

MGR_120830_Sam_03

Let’s not mince words. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is in most ways the polar opposite of the Metal Gear Solid series, abandoning restraint and resourcefulness in favor of unapologetic brutality. If Metal Gear Solid was an elegant switchblade, Revengeance is a rip-roaring chainsaw.

The opening tutorial mission wastes no time in showing off the game’s much-touted Blade Mode, a surprisingly intuitive mechanic that boasts palpable precision. You press and hold L1 to slow time, then hold the right analog stick to wind up your slice. Hold the stick to the right and Raiden will draw his sword to the right; release the stick and he’ll slash from right to left, cleaving obstacles and baddies in two. It’s a devastating and deeply satisfying attack, but it’s slow and expends fuel cells so it’s best reserved for surgical strikes.

MGR_120830_Wolf_01MGR_120830_Wolf_02

Blade Mode has been much discussed, but less has been said regarding Revengeance’s impactful combo system. You can tap Square and Triangle (wide attack and strong attack, respectively) to fire off rapid slashes and acrobatic flip kicks ala Dante in Devil May Cry. Mixing and matching Blade Mode with the faster hack-and-slash strikes should lead to some visually arresting combos, as well as some of the gnarliest onscreen violence this side of God of War.

It’s also tactically valuable; landing the Blade Mode combo finisher on an enemy soldier’s weak spot and tapping Circle at the right moment makes Raiden plunge his fist into his victim’s spine and claim a fuel cell for a mid-battle top-off. What energy crisis?

MGR_120830_Ray_03MGR_120830_Ray_02

Other fun details abound. Pop off a Blade Mode slice and you might lop off your enemy’s weapon arm, or foot – this came in handy during a battle against a rampaging Gekko biomech. Taking to the air to avoid the Gekko’s lethal kicks, I repeatedly drove my sword into its cyborg head before severing one of its oversized legs with a well-time mid-air Blade Mode slice, bringing the giant crashing down.

MGR_120830_Sam_02

The demo introduced me to Ninja Run, a scrambling Dash that drains energy but can nimbly dodge obstacles, before culminating in a battle against an AI-controlled helicopter. I pounded it with homing rockets – Raiden can carry one sub-weapon in addition to his sword – until I was prompted to Ninja Dash up a volley of ‘copter missiles, skipping from one to the next like stones in a creek. I vaulted over the chopper, calmly looked downward, and used Blade Mode to shred it to smithereens while I drifted by. Yes, this was exactly as cool as it sounds.

Kojima Metal Gear Solid 25th Anniversary

MGR_120830_Sam_01MGR_120830_Wolf_03

But Revengeance represents just one step in series creator Hideo Kojima’s master plan for Metal Gear. During PAX 2012, Kojima held a panel to formally announce Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes for PS3 and show off its revamped technology and open-world mission design for the first time.

He also shared his inspiration for creating one of the first stealth-centric videogames 25 long years ago. “Most games were about attacking enemies,” Kojima remembered, “but I wanted to try something different. Honestly, I didn’t think it would continue for 25 years!”

Kojima touched on the layered origins of protagonist Solid Snake, whose codename was designed to serve dual purposes: communicating the game’s stealthy focus and honoring Escape From New York’s gravel-voiced Snake Plissken (Kojima is a devoted John Carpenter fan). Big Boss was developed as a foil for Snake and served to reinforce what Kojima has long seen as the series’ underlying theme: surpassing a predecessor. That theme and Solid Snake’s rising popularity were the key drivers for Raiden’s controversial starring role in Metal Gear Solid 2, a departure that fans debate to this day.

“Solid Snake was becoming this legendary hero and I wanted to build on that,” Kojima said of his infamous MGS2 protagonist switch. Metal Gear Solid 4 flipped convention yet again, with players finally reuniting with an aged Solid Snake only to find themselves longing for the power of a young, spectacularly reinvented Raiden.

Kojima also briefly touched on his plans for Columbia Pictures’ recently announced Metal Gear Solid film, playfully suggesting that actor Hugh Jackson would make a “pretty cool” Snake. But he cautioned that the project was very early in the planning stages and he had no announcements to make regarding cast and crew. “There have been talks about this for 15 years. I want to make sure it’s done right. It’s a very important, difficult project.”

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

17 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Stonesthrow 6 September, 2012 @ 8:12 pm   1

As a gamer I’m very excited about this, as a MGS fan however, just the word ‘spinoff’ (let alone outsourcing) sends a chill down my spine. I have no doubt this will be a decent game by itself, but as part of the best series out there, it just looks too different on account of having a different developer make it. I’m going to try to play this without the afterthought that it’s a remote part of MGS and hopefully I’ll enjoy it. In any case, there’s no way he can be as cool as in MGS4 :p

supersmith2500 6 September, 2012 @ 8:48 pm   2

So both Ground Zeroes and Revengeance is coming out at the same time. I seriously hope David Hayter voices Snake in GZ. After all, MGS is an awesome franchise. Keep up the great work Kojima. =D

Swotboy2000 6 September, 2012 @ 10:18 pm   3

Surely, SURELY, you guys mean Hugh Jackman?

Meh to Revevevengeance. I want MGS:GZ and MGS5. I know its coming out on the PS3 and 360 but that P.C footage looked amazing. But as i’m not about to fork out for a P.C rig I was wondering if we know if MGS:GZ will be making its way onto the next Gen? I suspect so but any clarification would be nice.

I wish Konami could do other things than MGS these days, like putting more PS1 and PS2 classics on PSN.

I think it’s absurd that classics like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Suikoden been available on US PSN for ~5 years and STILL aren’t available here. I would love to be able to buy them, heck I would love to see all 5 main Suikoden games there (especially 3 as it never got a European retail release), but it seems like Konami no longer want my money.

Project2insanity 7 September, 2012 @ 2:12 am   6

@Alestes; MGS sells, that’s why it gets so much Konami attention. Look at their other big title: PES. Silent Hill gets respectable attention as well, I’d say, but it would get more if sales hit MGS levels. It takes a ridiculously high amount of money to develop these games so it’s a massive gamble by taking on other projects that haven’t got credentials like the above.

You may want the classic Castlevania but I’d rather Lords of Shadow 2 and I really hope it sells as much as the first deserved. If this happens, that’ll cause demand for the SotN as well as bring justice to one of the most overlooked titles this generation has seen. It’s surprising enough they’re going ahead with a sequel at all.

At first, i was a bit sceptical, but this is looking better and better. Getting kinda amped now.

At this moment though, it would need a demo to make it confirmed purchase.

LaughingNabashin 7 September, 2012 @ 8:02 am   8

For too long people have been whining about Revengeance being a spin off, like it’s never happened before in Metal Gear’s history. Anyone remember Metal Gear AC!D? Of course you don’t. It was different, but it played like a violin on the PSP. And Portable Ops? Technically not part of the storyline, (and it’d be a time paradox of events if it were) but I had a blast playing that on the way to work. I personally am looking forward to Revengeance. If it’s anything like Vanquish or Bayonetta (also by Platinum), this game’s gonna rock my socks off. I think there’s room in the world for both Solid & Rising titles, right?

As for Ground Zeroes, if there was a reason not to die prematurely, it’d be to play that when it comes out. I’m guessing 2014, since Konami will want to focus all their attention on selling Rising when it’s released in February next year.

And for anyone who doesn’t know, the demo for Revengeance will be bundled with the Zone Of The Enders HD Collection when it’s released (flashback to when the demo for MGS2 was included with Z.O.E. in 2001).

European_Gamer 7 September, 2012 @ 8:56 am   9

when I first heard of this game I hoped that it would be more ninja and stealth type game like the Raiden you hear about in Metal Gear Solid 4.

I read that we on PS3 will have access to a Rising demo if we buy ZOE HD. (From what I read here it should be this very demo)
Is it true, can you confirm it?

almighty-slayer 7 September, 2012 @ 11:26 am   11

Rev-meh-gence.

DAYDANNY666 7 September, 2012 @ 11:29 am   12

I Hope this games becomes an xbox exclusives so I don’t look at it ever.

Cyberendpunk 7 September, 2012 @ 1:21 pm   13

I wanted this type of game ever since I witnessed Raiden’s badassery in MGS4. Suffice to say I am extremely excited about Revengeance, and we are not talking about some 3rd rate developer here. Platinum game is top tier when it comes to frantic action, this may not a Kojpro title but Platinum will definitely do it justice so I feel Kojima made the right call bringing them on board.

Could be good, could be a disaster. Will wait for the reviews, professional and the ordinary gamers, to come in before making my mind up on this one.

Blade mode (in fact the entire game) would have been PERFECT for the Move with it’s precision swordplay, but instead we’re limited to mashing buttons yet again like we have been for the last 3 decades?

PainMacker 9 September, 2012 @ 10:27 am   16