Posted 2:00pm

Insomniac’s Fuse Lights Up PlayStation 3 Next Year

Hi everyone! After a long journey navigating the sometimes-challenging waters of new IP development, we’re proud to reveal Fuse. Formerly known as Overstrike, it’s a third person, four-player cooperative game that centres around a volatile energy source that has fallen into the wrong hands. The substance, called Fuse, has been acquired by a terrorist organisation known as Raven and Overstrike 9 has been hired to track down and stop it from setting off a deadly arms race.

Fuse for PS3 Fuse for PS3

You can play with up to three of your friends, and each member of Overstrike 9 has its own signature Fuse-powered weapon. Play as Dalton Brooks, an ex-mercenary who has a Mag-shield that acts as portable cover and unleashes a devastating blast that liquefies opponents. Take on the role of Naya Deveraux, who can cloak to flank enemies and fire out mini-black holes that implode its victims.

As Jacob Kimble, you can keep enemies at a distance with the Arc Shot and shoot out charged bolts that chain react and fry enemies. Then there’s Izzy Sinclair, who can either launch out med beacons to heal teammates or fire her Shatter Gun to crystallise and explode nearby threats. And if you’re not sure who you want to play, you can use the LEAP feature to instantly switch to any available character. A good tactic when you’re in a pinch!

Fuse for PS3

As you take down targets with both Fuse and conventional weapons, you’ll earn valuable points than can be used to upgrade your weapons and character abilities. You’ll earn more points on executing cooperative kills and these points and upgrades are beneficial across both campaign and another mode we’ll be revealing at a later time.

I’ve been at Insomniac for more than 13 years and was part of the development of the first Ratchet & Clank for the PS2. It’s never easy developing new gameplay, an engaging storyline, and new technology from scratch but at Insomniac right now, we’re having a lot of fun both evolving and playing Fuse.

I believe the telltale signs of a signature Insomniac game are in full force. We’re diligently working on making sure each character and gameplay mechanic is satisfying to play. Our story is filled with intrigue and contains exciting plot twists with a touch of that classic Insomniac humor. And there won’t be a shortage of replay options thanks to our LEAP feature.

Fuse for PS3

We hope you’ll feel the same way when Fuse launches in March 2013!

You can look for more information on the official site, follow Insomniac on Twitter or like the Insomniac page on Facebook. We’re excited to show you more of Fuse soon.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

35 Comments 7 Author replies
Show oldest first

what happened? it went from ratchet and clank style comedy, to serious resistance

James Stevenson 12 September, 2012 @ 2:59 pm

It’s not hyper-serious. It’s grounded, but there is still a lot of humor and its written by TJ Fixman, the writer of Ratchet & Clank.

March? Good way too kill all the sales for the game.

Looks very uncharming :/. But I guess 4player co-op could be fun.

James Stevenson 12 September, 2012 @ 3:06 pm

It’s actually got a lot of personality and wit. And the co-op is fantastically fun

I have yet to play an Insomniac game that I like, but this game tickles my fancy. I just wish I actually had Coop buddies since none of my friends are really in to their games. I will keep an eye on this for sure.

James Stevenson 12 September, 2012 @ 3:07 pm

Thanks, we think when you play it with friends, you’ll have an awesome time. Plus it’s fun to keep playing because each character is fairly different, especially as they level up

Looks amazing!

I don’t know, not liking the sound of it. However, considering it’s Insomniac who’s developing it, I’ll definitely check it out when it releases.

James Stevenson 12 September, 2012 @ 3:07 pm

Thanks for the trust, we’ll do our best to make sure the game rocks and reward it.

AaronSOLDIER 12 September, 2012 @ 2:20 pm   6

Meh, will be playing God of War.

I’ll try anything Insomniac make’s, Is the PS3 the lead platform?

supersmith2500 12 September, 2012 @ 2:43 pm   8

So with the title name changed two questions:

1. Is the US version still called ”Overstrike”?
2. Is EA still publishing this since the game is also on Xbox 360 too?

James Stevenson 12 September, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

US version is also Fuse.
    EA is publishing the game and it’s on PS3 / Xbox 360

I’m sorry but this month, the god of war returns.

Pandora: “everyone knows ho you are. Everyone is afraid of you.”
Kratos: “there are reasons for that…..”

Kinda bummed about the apparent change in tone from the Ratchet & Clank meets “Spy-Fi” of the original trailer, but whatever, it’s Insomniac so I’ll probably end up getting it at one point or another.

James Stevenson 12 September, 2012 @ 3:13 pm

Well, even though there is a bit of a shift, the game still has retained humor, an over-the-stop story (it’s not realistic, though it’s grounded) and a really fun time with over the top weapons.

fjernbetjening 12 September, 2012 @ 3:08 pm   11

I’d honestly rather see something more cartoon-ish, and some really unique characters, I feel like that’s what Insomniac excell at.

Like Spyro the small purple dragon, or Ratchet & Clank, which I can’t even begin to describe. In comparison to the main protagonist of Resistance 3, who I can explain in 1 word: Boring.

I’ll keep an eye on this game, but I would rather have another, less serious, game.

Hey James no RDR for UAE/Saudi PS Plus subscribers? How come? I can see the bundle up there but for purchase only nothing else. Downloaded Machinarium fine but cant see RDR

Fred Dutton 12 September, 2012 @ 3:50 pm

Please stay on topic – this question should be in the Store thread. Short answer – we’re working on a replacement for RDR for your region and I’ll update you when we can confirm details.

not intrested .

chrisandsheva 12 September, 2012 @ 3:52 pm   14

Hi James, so though 4 person co-op it can also be classed as sp ?.. with you saying jump from one character to another etc.
Have really been wondering about these ‘co-op’ games, do they sell as well, or better than avarage sp ones, with the nowdays compulsary mp.. And usually a trophy requirement (or two) that basically forces people online, IF there completionists etc, Or are they Not expected to sell as much, i am just really interested in the way games have/are changing, given my above scenario and such.. personally, though i play online a bit, i prefer spending my money on a game/xp i can lose myself in, But they seem to be getting rarer nowdays, But i Am in the ‘present’ ideal market/target sales group.. and do believe many other ppl like me prefer sp..But with Totally optional online, i go online for fun, mostly, But imo nothing can beat the right sp xperience, So i ‘guess’ devs/publs are mostly gearing up for the next ‘target’ market.. as it kinda looks like to me.
looking forwards to seeing more of Fuse.

xxSamuraiGirlxx 12 September, 2012 @ 3:52 pm   15

resistance 2 is one of my fav ps3 games and i love coop games, so i’ll definitely be getting this.

the powers kinda sounds like mass effect so should be fun. i also really like the fact there are 2 females characters and 2 male characters to choose from.

usually you only get one female or none at all to choose from.

This fuse sunds like haze 2. Except haze had nectar and this has… fuse. neat.

Falcon1991 12 September, 2012 @ 4:14 pm   17

I was interested when it was first revealed at the EA conference, and I still am.

I definitely like the combo of spy like co-op mixed with humour. :D

Can’t wait to see gameplay.

FatMachismo 12 September, 2012 @ 4:15 pm   18

Well looking forward to this!! I’m yet to be let down by an Insomniac game (even though R&C All 4 One was close), so I’m in high spirits about it!

March release. SO MANY GAMES IN MARCH :’( Thank goodness I work in a Game store :D

supersmith2500 12 September, 2012 @ 4:54 pm   19

You know Insomniac I know you don’t own the Resistance franchise but who actually owns Resistance rights now. Btw, gutted that the title had to change but still. Love the Fuse name.

New IP is great to see and I always like co-op RPG-ish shooters. Look forward to seeing more about this.

Style change has completely killed any hype i had for this game, now it just looks like any other co-op shooter out there, poor job insomniac.

I loved the first trailer but then I found out it’s only a multyplayer gamer. So disapointed, I was hoping for a fun so player with lots of humor like the trailer.
To much medication so I suck at mp. No game for me just like the crappy tower defence stuff in R&C. I guess you don’t make games for me anymore.

TheKillerSnowman 12 September, 2012 @ 6:23 pm   23

i dont like third person shooter games so i will not buy this game. i love all the Resistance games and to bad it has ended :( i´m sorry guys but i dont like it. make a new Resistance game to PS3 with 4 player on the story mode and first person shooter. then i will buy it :)

AaronSOLDIER 12 September, 2012 @ 6:46 pm   24

@19 Sony.

Stonesthrow 12 September, 2012 @ 7:31 pm   25

Too bad you guys quit with Resistance at the top of its peak (3 is my absolute favorite, truly a technical marvel that can stand tall next to shooters like Killzone and BF), would’ve loved to see a next one, especially after the third.. But I’ll give this a try too, love co op so can’t go wrong with this. Resistance 2 co op was great too.

DemonicPrime 12 September, 2012 @ 8:04 pm   26

Before I had a mild interest in this. Considering this recent turn of events…I’m not so convinced about getting it. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Insomniac’s Ratchet & Clank, and even Spyro, back in the day, but since the time of All 4 One, I’m a bit hesitant of spending my money, especially on something such as a new series like Fuse.

bitbydeath 12 September, 2012 @ 8:26 pm   27

I’m not that into shooters but at least the weapons look fun so i’ll keep an eye on it for the co-op side of things.
Would be great if insomniac made more games with the art style of Ratchet and Clank, that’s what makes you guys stand out from the pack.

I was looking forward to a Team Fortress 2 and The Agency meets Disney’s The Incredibles does PS2′s Black.

Now it sounds much like point scoring Bulletstorm with a Ghostbusters “Don’t cross the streams” or Power Rangers Zords combine to make Megazords. Add that to a Borderlands type of both a 4way co-op or a singleplayer and assurance that humour is still in and it could go either way.

Would like to see this as a 3PS and not an FPS.

Haze, Rage, Brink, Homefront were all over hyped FPS – don’t make a new IP fail due to sales like these. No Timesplitters on PS3 thanks to Haze fail.

^It is an 3PS.

Sounds also like Binary Domain and Mass Effect in squad based 3PS, Better not be laugh-a-never like Kane & Lynch and Army of Two then.

Ideally Brink/Timesplitters/Team Fortress 2/The Agency characters visually and comic tone. (all FPS)

Tyrannic_Puppy 13 September, 2012 @ 3:47 am   30

I was massively looking forward to Overstrike. it looked like it was all the fun and humour of R&C in human bodies, now not so much. I am still watching closely, maybe this game can still impress me but at this point I’m not holding my breath. Is there a specific reason for the change in style?

Local co-op?

this game could be fun but can it beat Army Of Two in sales

Hmm. So far I have played every Spyro and Ratchet and Clank game from Insomniac and I even bought all 3 Resistance games although I normally do not play egoshooter. But now with EA as publisher and the online-multiplayer focus I have real doubts about this game.

Is this game also playable offline in splitcreen mode so that I can play together with my wife? Or do I have to play with the random guy on the internet who has fun to insult you via headset, sabotage you playhtrough or just wants to annoy you in order to get the platinum trophy? I tell you that, if online gaming were to become the standard of gaming I would stop playing because it is not a good experience for me.

geddesmond2 14 September, 2012 @ 12:18 am   34

I’ll definitely get the game cause it has Insomniacs name on it however I’m confused a little. Is there only 4 weapons in the game, one for each character? because I fear that can get real repetitive.

The main thing that makes a good game brilliant to me is the many options a game offers. If its a sandbox game then it has to have loads of things to do and many customizable things like clothes, houses, cars and if its a TPS then it has to have loads of guns. Without that choice a game feels empty.

Just say the trailer, Even more disappointed then initially was, It was a good run insomniac.