Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 8:30am

PS3 Gets Smaller And Lighter

PlayStation 3 offers the ultimate in gaming and home entertainment at brilliant value for money, and it’s now available in an eye-catching smaller, lighter new design.

Available from 28th September 2012, the new PS3 system comes with a whopping 500GB of storage and will be closely followed by a wallet-friendly 12GB version. The 500GB will launch as a bundle with FIFA 13 for around €299.99, with the 12GB priced around €229.99 standalone, and owners of the 12GB model will be able to connect a 2.5 inch SATA internal hard drive with use of an official Mounting Bracket, or opt for purchase of an official PlayStation 250GB internal HDD. So whether you’re after instant access to memorable, fun-packed evenings with the family, or want to load up your system with tons of fantastic entertainment, we’ve got the right PS3 for you.

New PS3 1

To tie in with the launch, we are introducing PS3 Essentials, providing the best of PlayStation 3 at the greatest value yet. With a wide range of titles available, from Assassins Creed: Brotherhood to Sports Champions, there is truly something for everyone (see full list below).

These great games will be available at retail for around €19.99, with many titles available to download from PlayStation Store from around €14.99 (titles marked with an *).

So, with all the great games and features you love now wrapped up in a sleek new design, there’s never been a better time to get your hands on PlayStation 3.

1st Party Titles:

SEGA Mega Drive: Ultimate Collection
Sonic Unleashed
Virtua Fighter 5
Darksiders: Wrath Of War*
Homefront: Ultimate Edition*

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

167 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first
WildRushSykes 19 September, 2012 @ 5:37 am   1

WOW thats probably the best looking console i have ever seen day 1 purchase for me i think but would like to know whats different other than the asthetics than the PS3 slim. Also 5″ drives i thought the ps3 used 3.5″ sata drives so that means i wont be able to use my 1TB drive i bought in the new one?

5 inch SATA, whayt kind of size is that? Certainly you mean 2.5 inch?
#1: one major difference is, that the BR bay is a top-loader, instead of the slide-in slot of the Slim.

Leon Sanders 19 September, 2012 @ 3:45 pm

Hi chrisboers.

Correct, this was a typing error. You will notice the post has been updated to correctly read 2.5 inch SATA.

Thanks,

WildRushSykes 19 September, 2012 @ 5:50 am   3

2.5 inch thats what i meant :) What im wondering is what type of ethernet and wlan its using im hoping thay have upgraded it because my 76MB Fibre optic connection only tops out at about 30MB on my ps3 because of the old lan card technology also will it have USB3 and ps2 backwards compatablity?

5 inch sata? i wonder if they mean 3.5 inch not the standard 2.5 inch that it currently uses

Leon Sanders 19 September, 2012 @ 3:47 pm

Hi JonnyPauz.

You will notice that the typing error has been amended to read correctly, standard 2.5 inch SATA.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

SammiiDoogles 19 September, 2012 @ 6:10 am   5

Considered getting this for about a minute then I remembered they reduced the content sharing on your PSN account to only 2 systems. So any digital content I got with my PS3 fat and downloaded to my PS3 slim I’d have to buy again if I got this Super Slim…

And that’s why I hate digital content.

I would love to buy a 1TB model with a ps2 backward compatibility :)
and 4 usb ports even if it was fat.

killah_fury 19 September, 2012 @ 6:10 am   7

New PS3 looks really nice. It’s disappointing that it doesn’t have more than 2x USB ports though. Having just 2x really isn’t enough what with the need to charge controllers and headsets, PS Eye camera, external hard drives, DVRs and so on. Still, nice looking machine.

killah_fury 19 September, 2012 @ 6:12 am   8

@SammiiDoogles – Do you really need 3x PlayStations? If you’re really keen on buying the new one then just deactivate the old PS3 fat model.

fjernbetjening 19 September, 2012 @ 6:22 am   9

Damn it! I just bought the slim PS3 a couple of months ago… So I don’t think I’ll be buying this super slim one (even though it looks great).

I think I’ll wait for the next console. PS4 or Orbis, or whatever it’s going to be called.

Will the new model use standard a 2.5″ HDD or a proprietary HDD? Also, are we talking tray disk drive?

Leon Sanders 19 September, 2012 @ 3:49 pm

Hi JohnoBoy.

The new system uses a standard 2.5″ HDD.

The disk drive is top-loading.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

That price for the 12GB model is stupid. It should really be sub 200 Euros.

Why the forced bundles, I don’t want a bundle with a game that I already got, hope their will be options without games for a lower price. No extra USB ports, still 802.11g, that’s really really really disappointing when your biggest competitor delivers more USB ports and 802.11n.

This smells to much of Sony trying to squeeze the last money out of PS3, so they are launching a new model which costs them way less to make, but the consumer really doesn’t get any new features or lower price.

Also the price for 12GB is way to high, if you want to compete with Xbox 360 4GB, you should have launched it at max 199€.

new ps3 looks good
but i do not understend 1 ting =

12 gb = lesser then 20 gb fat everybady say 20 gb , biggest joke !!
u place grand turismo on hd = full

also ps3 12gb = ok 199€ u give price 229 ?????
-so 488 gb lesser then 500 + no fifa game 60€ = no way ps3 12 gb u can sel to price like 229 €

250 gb not in Europe !!!
500 gb fifa = 299,99 € , fifa ???? lots of pers not like fifa
+ more expensife then 320 gb = 270 € + = good size of hd

i not understend ps3 get no price drop but price go up before end of jear !!!!!! u realy are taking peopel like stupid mony pigs
Your comment is awaiting moderation. = ha ha ha

All i can say is that if my PS3 breaks, hope i can still find the normal slim to replace it.

This looks nice like the picture shows and all, but the sliding cover to get to the disk that is not shown here looks terrible.

Also eliminates being able fit this in the space in my tv cabinet.

szeryf_krzysiek 19 September, 2012 @ 6:57 am   16

looks nice.
is there still slot-in BR drive?

Wow…who was on drugs when the price of the 12GB version was decided?

What will that translate to in the UK? MORE than the 160GB console??

17 = jep like i say = price go up end jaer instead of price drop

sony wake up !!!! , wii u comming .

299,00 8gb wii u new console
sony 12 gb 220 € 6 jear old console u realy smoking big joints

killah_fury 19 September, 2012 @ 7:17 am   20

@monoliet – there’s no need to be so rude. the 12GB model will be useful for some people. Power users could buy it to add their own 750GB internal drive. Of course 12GB isn’t enough on its own – its designed to be used with an internal HD which you may already own. If you don’t like it or don’t want it – don’t buy it. I think it’s a good product, and remember that 12GB drive is solid-state so will be very fast to start up.

I think it makes a lot of sense to introduce a smaller, cheaper PS3 model at this time.

However, I also think the pricing structure seems to be nuts.

Surely the current PS3 Slim is better value?

Does it have WLAN n? Spec list please!

20 @
rude no stil very nice

160 gb no game 235,00 € in store now !!!
12 gb no game 229.99

148 gb lesser !!! so 148 gb = 5 € 1 cent ??????
them canot explain

i am not angry them lounch 12 gb , pers i tink =stupid
but price totaly rong !

So what are the tech specs besides the hard drive? How much smaller and lighter than the first slim is it? What is the power consumption? Does it still have all the same ports or were some scrapped? Will it still play PlayStation CDs? Is the disc drive still front loading or will the be an opening disc cover?

I would like to have these questions answered.

Leon Sanders 19 September, 2012 @ 3:58 pm

Hi BigPaja.

The overall technical specification is the same as the slim (Number of USB ports,Wi-Fi etc).

Weight Difference:

Slim 2.7Kg
    New PS3 2.0Kg (12GB)
    New PS3 2.1Kg (500GB)

Power remains at 200W.
    Disc Compatibility is the same as the PS3 Slim.
    The disc drive is top-loading.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

ieatpixels 19 September, 2012 @ 7:26 am   25

Awesome stuff! I love this, it’s like the PS3 is new again almost.
Great for consumers to have the PS3 with these Essentials range, and the Wii U with it’s launch line up on the shelves of stores so they can see clearly that the PS3 is cheaper, has more games, and is a better choice.
I just want to see a video of how the disc drive works, I assume it slides across to the left but I’d still like to see it.

Looks great. I won’t be chopping in my mint 60GB Fatboys for it though !

I don`t need no new playstation my old fatty is working just fine. I just need to get a new internal hard drive cause 80gb are not enough

You say we can “opt for purchase of an official PlayStation 250GB internal HDD” but how much will it cost us?

WildRushSykes 19 September, 2012 @ 7:38 am   29

@tarsanell

Around £240 for the 500GB model and £170 for the 12GB model.

killah_fury 19 September, 2012 @ 7:40 am   30

@monoliet – Please understand – the 12GB is flash storage. Flash storage is much faster, but a lot more expensive. That’s one reason why a 32GB flash iPod touch costs more than a 180GB iPod Classic. Users with the 12GB model can add a hard drive whenever they want – it has space for a hard drive in addition to the 12GB flash storage.

30 = peopel are asking flash storage ???? = majority = no
peopel are asking price drop !!!! majority jes

i wil not suport !!!!

i set mony asite to ps4 ore next……
if ps4 not conpatibel ps3 = by by untile very low price

LEONOFDEATH 19 September, 2012 @ 7:48 am   32

This looks really cheapy. It looks like its made from cardboard.

So Sony releases a cheaper model and the price for a normal customer actually rises? This has to be a joke, the new SKUs are worse than everything I could’ve imagined. You have to pay more to get a model with a hard disk. The 12GB SKU is useless.
You can’t even play all games on the 12 GB model and with all those installs you have to buy a hard disk sooner or later. I really hope the “mounting bracket” is included.

chrisandsheva 19 September, 2012 @ 8:07 am   34

Well, just when you Think you’ve seen alls there is to see.. ha……. . Sony are you being serious here ?.. ok, let me explain, before i get the sce-df on my case, am not 100% sure where/how most ppl choose to shop etc, But for the last oh 2 months or so, well 2mnths including ‘ordinary/offline shops’ i, and loads of others have been able to pick up a 320GB New, ps3 for £169.99, what that is in Non GB money i cannot say, you Did put GB on posts header, So apart from the 180GB extra mem, why have you even bothered ?.. add to what monoliet pointed out, obviously he mustn’t be able to get a 320GB in his locale, For the price i mention etc. No, a Definate Big no from me.. i also re-newed, i think end of may, so even IF i liked it, can’t really justify buying again so soon, maybe next may, when the price is more realistic. Though like others have recently said Maybe by then there’ll be another option to consider.. oh, per chance you actually read these (vita/plus etc) posts you started, just like to say thanks Again, . for costing me chance to get B2 on release day, Thanks.

chrisandsheva 19 September, 2012 @ 8:09 am   35

Now i see Fred Didn’t Post this, Just keeps gettin better n better, my Week etc.

wow, quelle surprise! Still, here’s another chance to bring up my usual bone of contention even tho upping it is too late but, this new re-model, it still has to(try to)run on the laughable 256mb amount of RAM doesn’t it, or has Sony halved that measly amount too? lool?…lolol………..ol

I’m curious what the energy consumption is like. I’m guessing around 45-50 Watt or so, like the original PS2 slim.

HELLASISGREECE 19 September, 2012 @ 8:19 am   38

please let it be PS2 compatible…

Carnivius_Prime 19 September, 2012 @ 8:22 am   39

Looks nice but I’d need to know if it’s got any actual advantages over the Slim I finally upgraded to last December before I bought yet another PS3. My Slim is certainly superior to my original PS3 (actually fits in my TV cabinet, much quieter and energy efficient). I still need me a Vita but now got me worrying you’re gonna bring out a Vita Slim soon.

VitalogyPJ 19 September, 2012 @ 8:23 am   40

Why bother launching a slimmer console if you don’t drop the price of it? I’m don’t even mention the 12Gb because it’s a waste of your time in it…

You guys simply don’t get it, people don’t want a slimmer version, people want PRICE DROP!!!

I just thought… In honour of the naming of the new PSP as Vita meaning life in Italian, we should give this a complementary naming to mark and celebrate the nomenclature of it’s plastical unhingeing too, and I thought of the perfek name for it. The last re-model was called the slim and this is even skinnier so I thought we should go french this time and call it::: Le Mince (pronounced Lo Munce) or in our uncouth vernacular The Mince… It means thin in french + it has all these other crossover concoctions that spring to mind when using that word in english too, so how’s THAT. It kind of… fits, don’t you think? hmmmm? hhhmmmmmmmm?

For some reason, i don’t really like the design of this smaller version. I mean, i love the design that slim version has, but this one is too much of Sony, and not enough of Playstation. I know it sounds weird, but this is the only way i can put it. Plus it kinda is waste of money. It’s the same system, just in a smaller package.

chrisboers 19 September, 2012 @ 8:42 am   43

I’m a little worried about the “with use of an official Mounting Bracket, or opt for purchase of an official PlayStation 250GB internal HDD.” statement.

Does this mean one would have to spend money in order to be allowed to add one’s own HDD? The current models don’t have this, and you can replace the HDD out of the box, without any additional cost.

299€? Really? Didn’t you notice that the slim model is cheaper? Or did Nintendo paid you to make it easier for the WiiU in Christmas? Someone needs to be fired if you ask me

That is a great looking PS3 and it’s nice to see digital pricing being set lower than hard copies at last!

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the inability of some small minded fools on here to see that different products are targeted at different market segments. Of course this is a strategy to make more money on the PS3, from people who have never bought one.

Good product and excellent to see Sony is still not afraid to take the lead with innovative marketing and distribution approaches.

Fat, Slim, Super Slim why should i care if they provide the same gaming experience,I’m not carrying it on my back while playing.

I have slim btw

When will we get this here, in Soviet Russia? :)

Dear SCEE,

In 2012 entertainment hardware doesn’t make any noise from cooling fans anymore. How’s the noise level of this edition compared to the previous and original? Do you have dBA measurements?

I’m basically interested in knowing if replacing my 60GB fat original with this one will finally give me a please movie, tv, and gaming experience noise-wise.

Thanks

I still have the old ps3 has it all and I can see that the new looks like the old ps3, I wait to buy one until there is a serious replacement and NOT just an upgrade model

So new 12gb model will go for 230€ while te present 160gb model costs 235€. Where in the world does that make sense?

Load all