Posted 2:00pm

Calling All Budding Game Developers…

XDEV-Logo

It’s an incredibly exciting time to be a budding developer in the UK and with the imminent launch of PlayStation Mobile small development teams and even bedroom coders can create great games for the platform.

It’s with the arrival of PSM and our continued commitment to finding and nurturing new development talent that, in conjunction with Creative England and Birmingham Science Park, we have established PlayStation Pioneers. The initiative will give smaller developers the opportunity to win £25,000 for a games concept and the opportunity to work alongside Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios Europe External Development Studio (XDev).

With the PlayStation Mobile development studio freely downloadable, taking part in PlayStation Pioneers could not be easier and this is a great opportunity for smaller developer’s with little or even no PlayStation experience to make a great new game for PlayStation. It is equally a great opportunity for XDev to meet passionate and talented teams within the UK and for us to hear all about your great ideas!

Now for the details:

• The opportunity is open to UK-based developers only
  • The goal is to take a concept/prototype and develop a playable ‘vertical slice’ suitable for consumer trial/user testing in summer 2013.
  • The deadline for submissions is 31st October 2012
  • Five finalists will then be selected to exhibit at this year’s LAUNCH conference taking place at Birmingham Science Park on 13th and 14th November 2012 and present their concepts to a panel.
  • £25,000 will be awarded to the winning entry
  • XDev will have the first right of refusal in regard to publishing the final game.
  • The winner will be announced by the panel at LAUNCH on 14th November 2012.

“PlayStation Mobile is the best platform for the next generation of game developers to get their first game published! I really encourage submissions from recent graduates, game incubators and young start-ups to take a shot at this.”

Maria Stukoff, Head of Academic Development at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe

For more information, please visit the PlayStation Pioneers website. Good luck!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

17 Comments 2 Author replies
Show oldest first

An extremely exciting and interesting opportunity this.

I have a small indie company and we had never considered developing for the Playstation due to the costs involved.

This SDK and opportunity looks to open that door a little so we will get right on it.

Thanks.

Could someone make the xperia play pad work with typing at all? I just want to use the controller to type with as it’s much easier then fumbling with the screen.

somethingatt 25 September, 2012 @ 2:33 pm   3

Not a lot of time, is it :) I develop database applications by day, game programming as a hobby by night (so to speak) so maybe that’s why a month doesn’t sound a lot to me (plus I don’t have a team..) but yeah it will be interesting to see what upcoming studios can do in that time.

How much of the entries will we see? Or will it just be the winner?

Fred Dutton 25 September, 2012 @ 2:40 pm

Well, yes, it is a little tight, but the judges only want a proof of concept at this stage, not the whole game.

I’ll be keeping track of this so look out for some coverage of the finalists later in the year. Should be very interesting…

Huono_peleis 25 September, 2012 @ 2:42 pm   4

SCEUK at it again.

Will Playstation Mobile come to PS Vita as an app?????????

toxic-inferno 25 September, 2012 @ 2:53 pm   6

@ Fred

Any idea when the Borderlands 2 Swag Bags from last weeks Weekend Debate are likely to be sent out?

Thanks muchly!

Fred Dutton 25 September, 2012 @ 3:36 pm

As it happens, I just took them down to the mailroom this morning. Should take a couple of days to get to you?

Wish I could put forward my Full Spectrum Warrior/Aliens idea I had when DS was first announced.Still really want to play it :)

PS Vita???? will ps mobile be on vita????

@DAVIE222

The beta was available for it a few months ago.

gashumonsata 25 September, 2012 @ 3:07 pm   10

Times like this I hate being simply an artist lol. Programmers are so hard to find, I wish my brain was more capable!

Well good luck to those who enter!

cal_uk-kun 25 September, 2012 @ 3:35 pm   11

This is great!

It’s a shame I am just a game designer (a recently graduated one at that) and general master of idea and concept pitching. I know a bit of programming but not enough to be confident in. I need a team, ideally a programmer and an artist. Going to try my best to find some like minded people in the next week or so then hopefully go for it. But for now that’s looking a tad unlikely :(

strangeplaice 25 September, 2012 @ 3:42 pm   12

If only this could have happened in four years time! D:

toxic-inferno 25 September, 2012 @ 4:34 pm   13

Thanks Fred!!

Q_Division 25 September, 2012 @ 4:59 pm   14

@gashumonsata
Interesting that as a Programmer I find it’s finding the artists that are hard to find, clearly a different circles issue.

@Fred
Sounds good though, not sure if I’ll get a sensible pitch done in time as I have a day job and besides I’m out of the country in November anyway, which probably makes me ineligible :(

Wish you guys were as open as XBL to allow Indie developers to develop PSN titles :(

DAYDANNY666 25 September, 2012 @ 8:03 pm   16

Can’t add funds to the wallet (NP-2244-2) SONY need a poke in the eye. All I want is to give you money!

CoolRichy008UK 25 September, 2012 @ 9:46 pm   17

DAYDANNY666 STOP SPAMMING EVERY GOD DAM BLOG PAGE YOUR WORST THEN ME IF YOU GOT A SONY PROBLEM EMAIL THEM help@uk.playstation.com
OR GET A NEW PS3