Posted 26 September

Joe Danger 2: The Movie Roars Onto PSN With Exclusive Content!

CITYSCREENSHOT01

Hello world! It’s incredibly exciting to finally be back on the Playstation Blog. It’s even more exciting to be able to announce that Joe Danger 2: The Movie is coming to PlayStation 3 in the very near future with exclusive new content!

Two years ago, three friends and I made the original Joe Danger. The PlayStation community then took us under its wing and helped make it the huge success it became. Since then we’ve been working incredibly hard to create the follow up, Joe Danger 2: The Movie. Finally, today we can announce that Joe is coming home to the PlayStation Store very, very soon.

What I really can’t wait for is the surprises we have in store for PlayStation gamers. This has been a total labour of love for us, and I’m really looking forward to seeing what people think of the game.

If you want to know more about the game, you can read some previews here and here, but first let me tell you a bunch of stuff you might not know.

Make your own Movie!

ChopperMultiplayerShot

In the original, Joe Danger was a washed-up stuntman living in a caravan in the middle of the desert. Now he has been discovered by a mysterious director and brought to Hollywood. As the player you perform every stunt in the film, scene by scene.

Exclusive Content!

PlayStation was where Joe Danger started out, and as a thank you to all the fans of the original we’re bringing over 10 hours of exclusive content to PSN, bundled with the main game. We’re putting the finishing touches to this at the moment, and I don’t want to give too much away, but I think fans of the original will really love what we’ve done.

Stunt, Create and Share

EditMode

In the first Joe Danger it was only possible to share levels with your friends, and even doing that was quite difficult. Surprisingly though, people used the level editor a lot. Over 160,000 levels were created in the original, but never shared! Isn’t that heartbreaking? That’s why I’m so excited that this time round we’ve implemented global online level sharing. You can view the world’s most popular levels, highest rated, your friends, sort them in lots of different ways. Every week Hello Games will be picking the five best user levels from the week, and highlighting them on the front page!

Joe Danger: The Movie is a BIG game

JetPack

We want to blow you away with a game where you dodge avalanches, stop nuclear missiles, fight robots, chase dinosaurs and fly jetpacks! Every level in Joe Danger 2 has a different gameplay mechanic, different environment or different vehicle. It’s really varied, but it’s also a huge game – twice the size of the original. Once you finish the main career “Movie Mode”, we also have “Deleted Scenes” which is a little like our challenge mode. It’s full of our most difficult and craziest challenges.

Ghosts

Ghosts on Joe Danger 2 means you are you are playing every level against all your friends on PlayStation Network, as well as the best players in the world. Joe Danger is all about playing with friends, because playing Joe Danger together is how we’ve built this game. That might also mean passing the pad on a heart-breakingly difficult Time Attack, or punching your sofa rivals off their unicycle in the new hilarious four-player same screen multiplayer. Sometimes it’s crossing the finish line to immediately see all your online friend’s highscores, and instantly restarting.

We want this to be a competitive game, something to play together and one we hope you’ll want to tell everyone about.

You can keep up to date with Hello Games and Joe Danger on our blog, follow us on Twitter or even just send us mail! Oh, and feel free to ask questions below and I’ll do my best to answer!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

44 Comments 11 Author replies
Show oldest first

Hi, why didn’t PS3 get the update for the original Joe Danger that Xbox got? I’m not sure I want to buy your product if you treat your PS3 customers bad.

Sean Murray 26 September, 2012 @ 4:24 pm

Unfortunately we couldn’t bring that content to PS3, but I’m hoping when you see what we’re doing with Joe Danger 2 for PS3 you’ll agree that we really value our PS3 players. Genuinely we do.

This is brilliant news, thanks for coming back to us Hello Games!
This will be an instant purchase for me :)
Now the obvious question, are you thinking of maybe doing a Vita version or Vita spin-off maybe?
Thanks again!

Sean Murray 26 September, 2012 @ 4:15 pm

Wow! Thank you so much!
    We’re working exceptionally hard on the PS3 version right now, so we’re going to concentrate on that first!

The Vita is a beautiful machine though isn’t it? I would love to do something on there.

@Comment 1:
OttoT, they’re releasing Joe Danger 2 with exclusive content for us now, so I think that makes up for it!

I missed out on the first game, but I heard the next installment isn’t as good. I will still pick it up and it is good to see us get exclusive content after what happened with the first game.

Also nice that they are not ignoring the fanbase who originally helped them.

Sean Murray 26 September, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

We’re very thankful to the PS3 fans for their support.
    The majority of our reviews on Joe Danger 2 are higher than the original, but where people had problems we’re definitely taking the opportunity to fix them for the PS3 version.
    A complaint we had from one or two people was that they missed the simplicity of the original, they wanted more of just Joe and his bike (even though they still seemed to really like the sequel). That was lovely to hear, because that’s what our extra PS3 content focuses on.

Darth_Newdar 26 September, 2012 @ 4:13 pm   5

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Sorry, got over excited there. :) Thank you, Hello Games, for bringing the game to PS3 – I was seriously worried it was going to be an Xbox exclusive for a while.

Loved the first game (I have the 100% to prove it), will definitely buy this as soon as it is released.

Best news all day!

Hello there! I just seen that under the tagged section where you accidentally said joe dangr instead of joe danger!

*hugs*

SSJ3_Bob_Marley 26 September, 2012 @ 4:31 pm   8

It’s all thanks to our playtesting, guys!

Sean Murray 26 September, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

Ouch! I’m really sorry for that comment from ages ago. It was taken out of context. I think I said something like “all our players are like playtesters, we listen to what they say and make changes”, which became “our players are playtesters”.
    Anyway it was a silly thing to say, but right now we’re doing the same for PS3. We’re seeing what problems people are having, and trying to fix them as best we can.

Such lovely news. At last years GamesCom one of you guys from Hello Games invited a friend and me to play the game. It was a 360 version of Joe Danger 2 and right when I came home I did some research and bought Joe Danger asap!
Now this is even better! Felt a lil bit let down when it was just released for the 360 but always thought it just might be a timed exclusive due to what you hear about the 360 Live marketplace out on the “streets”.

Sean Murray 26 September, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

Thank so much! It was probably me you met at Gamescom, but the whole team was there :)
    Glad we can get the sequel to you!

Huono_peleis 26 September, 2012 @ 4:37 pm   10

The first Joe Danger-game was fun at first but at some point (about half-way through) it became frustratingly hard and unforgiving. It could have been just me but hopefully the sequel have a more gentle learning curve.

Sean I read what you said about “disappointing” PlayStation on Eurogamer.

Thank you a lot and I wish more people would think so highly of us on PS3.
Really appreciated man.

Sean Murray 26 September, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

It’s actually really lovely to be back on the PlayStation Blog. PS3 fans have always been really supportive of us, it means a lot to us.

Like most of gamers, i was a bit worried about this not coming to PS3. I will buy this on day 1. First game was freaking awesome. Cant wait.

GametimeUK 26 September, 2012 @ 4:46 pm   13

@SeanMurray Good stuff. I really admire what the team has accomplished. Since I have been trying to request Joe Danger to be made available on PS+ and it has gone un-noticed I guess now is a good time to request that you at least consider working something out with SCEU. It will be a great way to get more potential customers. A cheeky discount at least during the run up to JoeDanger2 would be very benificial.

IGC and the whole vibe of Joe Danger seem to go hand in hand, wouldn’t you agree? I hope you at least consider it and I understand it is a very big and complicated request. Either way I can’t wait for JoeDanger2 :-)

ChemicalBacon90 26 September, 2012 @ 5:01 pm   14

Reading forums, comments etc in response to this news, I think it’s a great shame that you’ve seemingly alienated some of your fanbase with comments about those who bought the original being playtesters for the later released special edition on the 360. Silly comment. But probably wasn’t meant how it was interpreted by many. May have even been taken out of context. I suppose that’s the Internet/Life in general. Maybe the exclusive content will help to win them back over. After all, it’d be a shame if people missed out on a great game over something fairly trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway, as I personally enjoyed the first game – I think it’s one of the best games available on PSN – I’m sure I’ll enjoy this one too. I look forward to picking it up soon.

Sean Murray 26 September, 2012 @ 5:19 pm

Yup! Normally most companies have a trained PR person, but Hello Games doesn’t really. Just me :)
    Like I said to @SSJ3_Bob_Marley I regret saying something that was so easily taken out of context.
    We appreciate the support of anyone who plays our games.

SSJ3_Bob_Marley 26 September, 2012 @ 5:02 pm   15

@Sean Murray:

Hah, no offense! XD I had a lot of fun messing around with levels, I even had vertical conveyor belts, hahaha.

sharpenedpixel 26 September, 2012 @ 5:05 pm   16

How come prior to this week the game wasn’t listed as coming to Playstation 3 at all and you were letting everyone rail at you for having it as a 360 exclusive and now you say it is coming out for PS3? xD

This is good news.

I agree with SuperJag86 (@2) a Joe Danger ‘On Tour’ (PSVita) game would be great.

Bullitt001 26 September, 2012 @ 5:15 pm   18

Played it at gamescom this year with my kids and we loved it even more then the original.
I actualy had to pull them away to go home!
Going on the “To buy list” for sure.

WOW, i loved Joe Danger, awsome game. One person here said you should do something for Vita, i concur,your tipe of games would really it very well on the Vita, specially if you get it right to include the movement of the Vita & te back pad into a game.

Your games are very brightly coloured & ppl from any age can play them.

How bout going the LBP route, where we could make our own courses & have other ppl play them also? That would make the Joe Danger game even bigger. There’s really no difference between Joe & LBP, both games only has a certain amount of depth, so letting us create stuff for Joe, will immediately open up the game to an even bigger market.

Regards
Monk

Sean Murray 26 September, 2012 @ 5:46 pm

Thanks for the nice comments! I really appreciate it.

We actually have global online sharing of user created levels this time round. It’s pretty crazy actually. I can’t wait to see what people make :)

Dear Sean Murray, bout your comment to #14, i hate PR people, they dont know anything bout the product & only do the job cause they get paid to do it & know how to NOT answer q’s. This is the 1st time i’ve heard bout what happend round the original game or even your company, i think you guys are AWSOME in taking on this job, spei\cially in this day when it;s hard bringing out a game from a small company & doing everything yourself,

BUT, you guys know the game, you made it from scratch, so i’d rather hear whats up with a game from the CEO himself than a PR person who’s never even touched the game.

Thanks for giving us extra exclusive content for such a great game!

@SuperJag86 Not convinced yet, maybe that “exclusive” content, this developer has a strange relation with the word “exclusive”, is crap. I await the reviews and play the demo and if Sean makes a statment that he is glad the Xbox folks where the beta testers for the best version of the game on the PS3, but he was glad to take their money and will never update that version, then maybe I forgive them…
O come on, that was funny.
I just wait till it is free for Plus :-D

PhantomOfOpera 26 September, 2012 @ 7:44 pm   23

WOW!!!!
THIS IS GOOD NEWS!!!!

I was so disappointed when I heard that the sequel of Joe Danger was not coming to PSN that I went on the forums of PS Nation to went my anger. Disappointed beacuse we supported Joe Danger and than I discovered the sequel was, allegedly, exclusive to 360, or so I believed.
I am glad they are releasing it to the fans that made it a success.
However I am puzzled on why it was not released simultaneously on both consoles. Peraphs a short exclusivity deal with Microsoft?

You have my money Sean :)

PirateThom 26 September, 2012 @ 7:56 pm   24

I’ll be getting the game. The only thing that annoyed me was that I couldn’t it and it’s only because I enjoyed the first. This is making it right, they’re cool guys really.

welcome back Sean. How about giving Andy Stewart the go-ahead to putting the original on sale to stoke interest. +1 to a vita port/original too.

guitardevil6 26 September, 2012 @ 8:21 pm   26

I’d love to see a Joe Danger game on the vita, or anything you guys are going to be releasing in the future!

Sean Murray 26 September, 2012 @ 8:40 pm

We’re focused on the PS3 version at the moment, but it’s really nice to see so much interest from so many people in the potential of a Vita version. I love that machine!

Skydancerx 26 September, 2012 @ 8:23 pm   27

Welcome Back!!!! Saw the (Xbox) Game on GC last and this Year. And was very angry about it. Good to see that Hello Games is back on Playstation. And please do a Vita Port! The Game is absoluty perfect for Vita!

I hope you guys improved the shadows from the first game. They were like pixels and kind of messed the artstyle a bit. Great game tho. Bring it all to steam if you can as well. Looking forward to this. Hope you guys are using anti-aliasing as well. Yay for Joe Danger!

Sean Murray 26 September, 2012 @ 8:39 pm

We use Cascading Shadow Maps and FXAA. If you check out the screenshots and trailer I hope you’ll agree how crisp and lovely it looks!

Tossing a little bone to your “playtesters”, eh?

I’m not buying this one after being called a beta tester.

Sean Murray 26 September, 2012 @ 11:05 pm

Sorry! Hopefully my reply to @SSJ3_Bob_Marley earlier will help to have cleared things up. I think it’s important that we listen to our players. We really appreciate everyone who supports us and plays our games.

bradley2218 26 September, 2012 @ 10:36 pm   31

hey ive never heard of this title before but looks o.k is there gunna be a trial at least? and i dont think its right calling game testers, playtesters they are important in the gaming world and without them loads of games wouldnt look right and be glitched almost like all of the xbox 360 exclusives so i must thank you for this update and be nicer to the game testers and other workers thanks :D you do a great job

ThumbRocks 27 September, 2012 @ 2:24 am   32

Can you release a Special Edition add on, so that we get the Special Edition stuff for PS3 or at least the Show Time DLC.

INTERista_DMC 27 September, 2012 @ 6:25 am   33

would love to play it on the vita because i think this kind of games is more suitable for vita

should be fun!!!

I’m almost sure the extra content in 2 is part 1 like it was on Xbox. If so that would be another slap in the face for us who paid full price for the first one and got an inferior product.
Saying you ment to say you listened to your valued players but not fixing their product is a contradiction.

Another vote for a vita version! – It’s the perfect game for a handheld, just port the ps3 version, no?

If you couldn’t patch the extra content for the original to us, why am I seeing talk of Xbox getting a patch of the extra content for the sequel? That doesn’t seem fair.

Hi Sean,

Looking forward to the game. Really enjoyed the first and was disappointed when I thought I wouldn’t get to give the sequel a try. Can you clarify in what way the “exclusive” content is exclusive? Is it in the same way that Joe Danger 2 was exclusive to Xbox?

Also, I’d love to know how soon “the very near future” is!

Benjamin81 27 September, 2012 @ 2:04 pm   39

Hi Sean,

I’m glad that Hello Games is doing the right thing and giving us exclusive content on our plattform of choice. I feared the game would come at a much later date, but the delay is kinda acceptable. So you redeemed yourself. But the communication on the release of Joe Danger 2 for the various plattforms was still kinda bad. Better luck next time!

Best regards,
Benjamin

Hi Sean,

I perfectly understand why you made that comment and even taken out of context it’s something that took huge proportions without, in my opinion, any reason.

If people don’t play the game and provide comments on bugs or improvements it’s hard for the developers to fix and enhance the user experience of the game.

From a dev point of view, although not anything related to gaming, it makes all the sense the comment you made, people should take it as a constructive comment and an appreciation for the ammount of feedback provided by the community.
People should realize that even if you test for everything prior to release, there’s someone, somewhere doing something never tested or even planed to be done that will break the system. This is the day to day basis for every developer.

Regarding the game itself, I played Joe Danger, finished with 100% completion which was really hard but yet challenging. I can’t wait to play this new game :) It looks awesome and great fun.

Just to stress, this is the kind of game that would suit Vita’s platform, please make an effort to release it and also make it so that people from Ps3 and Vita can play together and share tracks, that’s the way to go.

Regards,
Nuno

release branch – woohoo!

Hi sean , i completed Joe Danger 1 , was a great game but it dragged out on the end, it just got boring and frustrating so it took me months to playtrough as i couldnt enjoy it for more than a few minutes at a time towards the last levels :(.

other than that, sweet game, my family loves the charm and the game even tho theyve probably not even seen20% of the game..

Btw, JoeDanger 2 is listed as a VITA game on the http://ps3-sd.no.playstation.com/home front page…
But then again.. on another section it says NGP which was the early name for the vita before it came out..
Cross buy or not, i would buy em both, do it :-) !..

oh wow Ps3 fans are getting a special treatment this time around !! i WONDER why ? did the first game FLOP on the xbox360 ? & now you are back to treat us GOOD ? i’m not buying this game because of what happened with the first game. thank you

PhantomOfOpera 27 September, 2012 @ 7:50 pm   44

THIS IS GOOD NEWS!!!!

I am glad they are releasing it to the fans that made it a success.

You have my money Sean :)