Posted 11:00am

PlayStation Store PAL Charts: September 2012

PS-Store-1024x576

Hey there everybody. We’re introducing a new regular feature today. At the beginning of every month, you’ll be able to view the top 10 PAL sales charts for the following Store categories right here on PlayStation Blog: PSN games, full PlayStation 3 game downloads, PS Vita game downloads and PSone Classics.

So, without further ado, here are the charts for September…

PSN games:

Sony Japan Studio‘s bonkers-but-brilliant TOKYO JUNGLE got off to a storming start, entering the chart in second place after just four days on sale. Other new entries included the re-released Jet Set Radio in fifth, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD in sixth and Machinarium in 10th.

1. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD
  2. TOKYO JUNGLE
  3. Journey
  4. The Walking Dead – Season Pass
  5. Jet Set Radio
  6. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater – HD Edition
  7. The Walking Dead – Episode 1: A New Day
  8. I Am Alive
  9. Resident Evil 4
  10. Machinarium

Full PS3 game downloads:

No surprises here – FIFA 13 topped the chart in its first month on release. Other new entries Borderlands 2 and One Piece Pirate Warriors weren’t too far behind though.

1. FIFA 13
  2. Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
  3. Borderlands 2
  4. One Piece: Pirate Warriors
  5. Batman: Arkham City
  6. Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
  7. NASCAR 2011: The Game
  8. LittleBigPlanet 2
  9. London 2012 – The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games
  10. Darksiders

PS Vita game downloads:

Free download Ecolibrium was the most popular download of the month, but LittleBigPlanet PS Vita raced off the blocks, making its way to second position after 11 days on sale. A slap on the back too for charming indie puzzler Sunflowers, which debuted at nine.

1. Ecolibrium
  2. LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
  3. Zen Pinball 2
  4. Motorstorm RC
  5. Treasures of Montezuma Blitz
  6. Sound Shapes
  7. Escape Plan
  8. Gravity Rush
  9. Sunflowers
  10. Table Top Tanks

PSone Classics:

Impressive chart domination from Mr Bandicoot on the PSone Classics chart, with the fleet-footed marsupial taking the top four spots. The rest of the chart was dominated by three other big franchises: Final Fantasy, Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid.

1. Crash Bandicoot
  2. Crash Bandicoot 3
  3. Crash Bandicoot 2
  4. Crash Tag Team Racing
  5. Final Fantasy VII
  6. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
  7. Metal Gear Solid
  8. Final Fantasy VIII
  9. Final Fantasy IX
  10. Resident Evil 2

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

61 Comments 8 Author replies
Show oldest first

This is cool :D

Lt_Fed_Brusque 4 October, 2012 @ 11:11 am   2

This is an excellent idea! Really interesting to see what’s selling. One minor CORRECTION REQUIRED though. Final Fantasy XIII is not a PS1 Classic :P

Will you guys make a top 10 PSmobile games aswell for October?(next month)

redalertrules 4 October, 2012 @ 11:16 am   4

vita chart is the most interesting for me, i bought off psn and its awesome others still are after all these months. Why is i am alive still on the charts, i feel like we all got suckered into buying that for what it was meant to be

redalertrules 4 October, 2012 @ 11:17 am   5

lol meant to say gravity rush

SSJ3_Bob_Marley 4 October, 2012 @ 11:19 am   6

*looks at the Crash Bandicoot titles*

I think people are sending a signal, they probably want him in a certain game full of all-stars.

iriihutoR48 4 October, 2012 @ 11:22 am   7

It would also be cool seeing PSP games and minis represented even if both formats are on the decline. There aren’t that many PS1 games released either to be fair. Maybe even throw in a top 5 PS2 games?

Good initiative though!

“1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Crash Bandicoot 3
3. Crash Bandicoot 2
4. Crash Tag Team Racing”

I wonder if that sale had anything (everything) to do with it? =P I purchased the latter three games when they were on sale. Also, I think you meant to put Final Fantasy VIII, not XIII…

bidbaldwolf86 4 October, 2012 @ 11:24 am   9

I think that should be Final Fantasy VIII and not XIII. I don’t remeber XIII being on the psone lol. You might want to update that one :p

I have downloaded 6 of the titles in that psone classics list and it’s good to see the Crash games and Final Fantasy games doing well

Nice new feature Fred :)

Fred Dutton 4 October, 2012 @ 11:26 am

Gah, I’m a plonker. Yes, FF8, not 13. That tweak has been made – apologies!

Jamesyp00 4 October, 2012 @ 11:26 am   10

This is really interesting, i wasn’t expecting some of those PS3 titles to top the charts already, cant wait to see what it’s like when AC3 comes out.

socialjeebus 4 October, 2012 @ 11:31 am   11

#4

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I think that I am alive was on sale last month.

Can’t think of any other reason tbh.

nextbigthing91 4 October, 2012 @ 11:39 am   12

All four Crash games topping the PS1 charts? “Woah!”
Good new idea for a post though, I like hearing what is selling well on PSN. I was not interested in Journey until Sony announced it was the biggest selling PSN game and after that I bought it… The game is beautiful, even bought the soundtrack.

Anyone played Tony Hawks HD yet? I haven’t got round to it yet with all the games coming out recently but I read mixed reviews…

TINTINTB303 4 October, 2012 @ 11:40 am   13

@Fred

Quick question.
Is this just games paid for upfront and not including the content downloaded/bought (free) through the PS+ service??
Adding PLUS content would muddy the water slightly so I take it is just games bought (maybe with a PLUS discount) but ‘free’ purchases/downloads via PLUS are not included?!

Sorry if that’s not very clear as I seem to be having one of those days were simple talking/typing is some what off target ;-)

Cheers in advance

TINTIN :-)

Fred Dutton 4 October, 2012 @ 11:44 am

The charts above represent the total number of times the games listed have been downloaded from the Store. I’ll double check whether any concessions are made for Plus content.

Do these numbers include games that people get free for having PlayStation Plus, or is it exclusively games that people have purchased with money?

smokeypsd 4 October, 2012 @ 11:42 am   15

This is a great idea. I think it should be a regular blog post because it’s great to see what the trend’s are.

It would be even more interesting to see a all in one chart, maybe 1 month a ps1 classic or rerelease of a classic outstripped everything else :P

Fred Dutton 4 October, 2012 @ 11:47 am

Yes, this will be a regular feature, runnign in the first week of every month. The format will remain largely the same, though I may add additional charts in due course.

This is a Great Idea, Mister Fred Duttin, and I compliment.
I’m very surprised of Machinarium and Darksiders, considering they are PS+ games I didn’t expect many people to buy them, but I was wrong.

TheNarrator 4 October, 2012 @ 11:48 am   17

oh this is cool! nice to see some stats and stuff from whats been happening on the Store, would be interesting to see this more often for sure (i demand more pie charts and arrows pointing at stuff next time too :D).

Arkham City riding quite high in the charts too :o.

*Dutton, sorry no joke intended.

Intresting, so keep it up, but definetly would had been 10x more intresting with the actual sales numbers aswell, but yeah, I know, It’s really dangerous sharing such numbers nowadays! :D

Vannaa_Girl 4 October, 2012 @ 11:53 am   20

This is a really great feature :)

People may now see a game / app in the download chart and then pick the game etc up to see what why so many are getting it.

Would be nice to also see psp? they seem to look more amazing on Vita and so many great titles

Great work Fred :P

Fred Dutton 4 October, 2012 @ 11:58 am

Yep, I should be able to pull down PSP data for you for next month’s chart.

Fred, could you gather us some information why some publishers resist to put their games into the PSN stores?

Imho it is just Sony and EA who put most of their games online. Ubisoft and Activision just offer some titles, most others completly ignore it. Especially japanese publishers, as Namco Bandai for example. And that is quite odd, when you consider with how many DLCs they usually try to flood their customers. So they know at least that the PSN stores exist. ;)

So what is Sony doing wrong with its store?
Usually going digital is most rewarding for very small publishers, see Steam and Paradox for example.
Does Sony demand such an huge cut from titles which sell smaller numbers in the PSN store? It is the only logical explanation that comes to my mind, why a publisher should ignore this option.
On the other hand this would seem to be a rather stupid move from Sony’s side. So or so, considering the content that we could see online the status quo is rather disappointing.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

is there any chance of shadow of the colossus on the ps+ IGC please

ERROR8013030F 4 October, 2012 @ 12:08 pm   23

This should be prominently displayed in the store along with data like ‘Days in top 10′, ‘Users who rater this 5* also bought’ and other extras. Use the titles to cross sell each other – search by game designer, publisher and other variables to help us find what we want to actually buy.

Just browsing the store for something new, an experience that should be light and conducive to purchases, is a pain.

Nice to see the trends of popularity, thanks for this blog feature.

I was also going to ask if the list includes PS Plus downloads as TINTINTB303 has.
I think it should actually because not every PS Plus subscriber will actually download every game and hence this still reflects its popularity. For example, I refused to soil my download list with Saints Row ;)

bandoors_ksa 4 October, 2012 @ 12:16 pm   25

Fred Dutton

please see what you can do about my problem witch is the Sly Trilogy i can’t play the first game while i already bought the Trilogy it say’s i have to buy it again? i contact the suport team via the Email and thy didn’t respond.

Thanks

Nemeth050506 4 October, 2012 @ 12:27 pm   26

I have an idea:
Please, make the next month a DLC chart. ;)
Anyways the chart thing is a good idea.

It’s amazing how many adventures there are in the PSN games top 10.
It’s sad that only so few adventure games are given to Plus members and that there are so few adventures in the store. I wish Sony would have a better deal for publishers who want to put their adventures on the store because I think it’s to expensive for them.

TINTINTB303 4 October, 2012 @ 12:31 pm   28

@MikLSP

Lol it is a pretty bad game ;-)

I admit that I confirmed my purchase with the title in question so have soiled my download list BUT I am yet to soil my HDD as it’s still not been actually downloaded.

Maybe one day when I am REALLY bored?! ;-)

Random127 4 October, 2012 @ 12:38 pm   29

Its interesting seeing what the biggest download is, but without actual number of downloads or sales this is rather pointless and meaningless.

TINTINTB303 4 October, 2012 @ 12:39 pm   30

@Fred

That’s just made me think.
So if like with SR2 I ‘confirmed purchase’ and thus added it to my download list but didn’t actually download it, does this mean it has no affect on the charts as games actually have to be downloaded and not just added to your download list to count. Is this correct??

sorry for being a pest ;-)

TINTIN :-)

almighty-slayer 4 October, 2012 @ 12:45 pm   31

Nice work Fred. US has been doing this for a while so good to see we finally get in on it. Cheers.

Also, good to see such a good bunch of games on most of these charts. Gamers have better taste than i thought!

Except for FIFA….

vonhammer 4 October, 2012 @ 1:11 pm   32

Would rather get numbers with these.I’d like some idea of how healthy the store really is,and how many people buy full games at those prices.
Do those full ps3 games with a lower price push more units in the long run,and how that could affect pricing of full PS3 game downloadsin in the future.

fjernbetjening 4 October, 2012 @ 1:12 pm   33

I’ve only purchased 7 PS1 games through the PlayStation Store, and they’re all on here. :) (the Crash Bandicoot & Final Fantasy games)

When the 3 Spyro games have been released on the Store, I will have purchased 10 PS1 games, and I’m pretty sure the Spyro games will make this list too.

abdirizak007 4 October, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   34

Hi Fred have you speak to the product manager about Sly demo? :)

Terrordactyl 4 October, 2012 @ 1:39 pm   35

Why don’t you actually FIX the store first?

For the last 2 weeks the majority of the Starhawk downloads have been inaccessible blank tiles. The only way to get to most of them is to search for “starhawk”.

Considering that this is a major first party title that’s a big part of the PS+ offering, that’s just sloppy. Also, as all of the Starhawk DLC is free – why isn’t it visible in the PS+ section.

Really, the store is a bit of a mess and needs an overhaul. The download list is a joke – do you really expect me to scroll through 5000 downloads since 2008 to find what I want. Sort it Sony.

Jeez… It’s NOT Fred’s job to fix the store, is it???

So keep your off topic comments to yourself.

Terrordactyl 4 October, 2012 @ 1:44 pm   37

@36

It’s Fred’s job to communicate these issues to someone who does.

Jeez…have you never worked in a company? It’s not off topic, it’s store related so wind your neck back in.

M3RL1NS_N3M3S1S 4 October, 2012 @ 1:48 pm   38

This is a great idea, but i think games should be marked as on sale if they were (with % if possible), discounted for PS+ (again the % would be cool) or if they were free with PS+. these extra things will help show us and publishers why a game done so well that month :)

And you have assumed that Fred hasn’t done that, right?

As mentioned, it’s not Fred’s job to fix – I’m quite sure the technicians know of the issues.

Fred’s job is to manage the blog – which he is doing. The information in this post has NOTHING to do with the store issues, ergo it’s off topic.

My neck is wound in, thanks.

iSabreman 4 October, 2012 @ 2:05 pm   40

Nice one Fred, this is the kind of thing that would work as part of the SCEE marketing email each week.

AaronSOLDIER 4 October, 2012 @ 2:50 pm   41

No PS2 Classics? We all know GTA III will be #1 anyway :D

When are we getting Vice City?

Cyberendpunk 4 October, 2012 @ 3:20 pm   42

The games in the PS1 charthave been out for months and years, and they’e always the usual suspects. Klonoa was out last month and I was hoping that it would chart. Gamers of nostalgia should really give it a try a long with Parasite Eve, Retro Helix and Fear Effect. As good as any of those games listed in the chart.

Hoping that Tomba makes it next week, excellent and quirky platformer.

i’d rather see a blog every month about what’s being done, about all the missing content that U.S been getting for years.

Ahem, it’s Crash Team Racing, not Crash Tag Team Racing. :P

When will PS Store get the new look you announced with the new PS3 slim? It said the new look will come this month.

sithknight666 4 October, 2012 @ 3:49 pm   46

Nice idea Fred! But maybe the likes of High Velocity Bowling would sell more if the servers were put back up. They have been down ever since the game was offered in psn summer sale. USA are still able to play online. Please see if you can help solve this issue, my kids and I used to have a good laugh playing hvb online. Thanks, Sith

Voodoo341 4 October, 2012 @ 4:24 pm   47

Well done Fred you’re now doing something everyone else has been doing for years! How about putting some resources into fixing the broken store? I seriously hope this isn’t the ‘improvements’ you promised were coming to the store. Absolutely useless and pointless.

sharpenedpixel 4 October, 2012 @ 5:28 pm   48

What does PAL mean in this case? If you mean PAL as in the TV system it hasn’t been used for years and most of the games on the list except the PS1 games aren’t in PAL format. If you mean ‘Europe’, lots of Europe used SECAM.

RawNinjaKid 4 October, 2012 @ 5:57 pm   49

Please use the term “SCEE chart” instead of “PAL” – if that’s your idea of charting all of your territories.

Of course I would prefer a sole UK chart instead.

Silent_Gig 4 October, 2012 @ 6:38 pm   50

Hi Ross, is there any chance of making Klonoa actually work on vita like advertised?

Load all