Posted 4 October

When Vikings Attack! Now With More Zombies, Giant Fish And Dancing Robots…

Hey everyone. It’s been a while but we’re back with some updates on When Vikings Attack!
So what’s been happening since the last update? Well, apart from tirelessly working on the game day and night, the team have been to Gamescom, Comic Con and just this last weekend the game took a trip to the Eurogamer Expo in London. All of the events were great, we were all super happy to get your Tweets and positive reactions, so big thanks goes out to everyone who played the game!

Anyway, it seems about time that we announced the winner of our ‘design a character’ competition. We got so many crazy, weird and wonderful entries and it was incredibly hard for us to choose just three from all the entries across the globe. However, in the end, the team made the call to choose designs that allowed them to do some cool animations to flesh the characters out. There was a desire to make some cool stand out characters and with the help of your deigns we think that’s been possible.

Here’s a video we’ve made to illustrate the entries:

So, our three fantastic winners are:

Victim of the Sea
By Mondchueh from Sweden

victims of the sea designVictim_of_the_sea_model

We choose this one out of all the entries because we immediately saw the opportunity to create a cool animation around it. The idea of a guy running around with a giant fish on his head… well, it just spoke to us.

Auscenic
By D-Squad3 from North America

Auscenic designAuscenic_ingame

We choose Auscenic because we really, really wanted a body-popping robot in the game. So maybe we have to apologise to the artist if this robot was intended to be some kind of blood-thirsty Viking killing machine because in our game… he’s a dancing machine. That’s just the way these things go right? How many times have evil companies turned innocent technology into weapons? We prefer this approach.

Jiang Shi
By DistroW90 from China

jiang shi designJiang_Shi_Ingame

Our game is set in Britain so we have lots of quirky British characters in there. For this one we wanted something a bit different so when we came across a traditional Chinese hopping zombie in the entries we had to go for it. Games are full of zombies these days… not enough hopping zombies though. Come on people! Let’s rebalance things!

And the runners up? Well, there are far too many to put in this post - click this link to see them all though:

We loved them all; it was so hard to choose between them!

All three winning designs are now in the game as unlockable characters. We love them and we hope that you do too! Let us know what you think about the winners and runners up in the comments or tweet at us here:

@SonyXDevEurope
@clever_beans

We’re always happy to answer any questions you might have about the game. Keep any eye on the PlayStation Blog in the coming month to get some more updates on the game – we can’t wait to reveal the release date and get it into your hands.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

16 Comments 5 Author replies
Show oldest first

bidbaldwolf86 4 October, 2012 @ 5:10 pm   1

Congtratulations to all the winners and runners up. Some of these entries are absolutely amazing

bidbaldwolf86 4 October, 2012 @ 5:11 pm   2

Congratulations to all the winners and runners up. Some of these entries are absolutely amazing!

Neil McPhillips 4 October, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

So good you said it twice? :)

There were some other really good ones, it was just so hard to choose in the end!

wardragon989 4 October, 2012 @ 6:23 pm   3

Nice designs, also cool that they were able to get into the game :D

I have a question though have you guys thought about doing a future DLC that could possibly include these other characters?

It seems that the fan did actually enjoy this create a character, so having future DLC with fan characters might be a nice way to keep supporting the game.

Also when is this game going to be released it looks very quirky :P

Neil McPhillips 4 October, 2012 @ 6:26 pm

That’s a nice idea… we’ll look into it, thanks :)

The game will be releases very soon, should be another blog post coming in about a week to officially announce the date and some other nice details.

that should be a hopping vampire not a hopping zombie – zombies have nails in their head

I got the impression from the competition details that we were suppose to be designing characters that were living in an English village, not just anything. I live in an English village and I have never seen a hopping vampire not even in front of the local Chinese chippy. After considerable thought I designed and submitted a Morris dancer (they can be found in English villages) believe it or not their dance is a fertility ritual – can see them in action below

It would be nice if in the future you make the requirements and parameters of the design competition more clear

congrats to the winners

Yep same thing here Izorpo I thought they had to be English themed hence mine being a Queens Guard

Oh well, was good fun :) hope they do some more soon, congrats to the winners!

Neil McPhillips 4 October, 2012 @ 8:06 pm

Hey, I’m sorry to both of you. Truth is that there was no real preference to character origin, we had a Chinese Zombie and we choose the queen as a runner up so anyone was in with a chance.

Hope you still enjoy playing the game though, would hate to think we had put you off!

Nicko_McBrain 4 October, 2012 @ 7:09 pm   6

MY GIRLFRIEND WON! (Mondchueh)! I can’t actually believe it.. JESUS CHRIST HELL YEAH!

Nicko_McBrain 4 October, 2012 @ 7:13 pm   7

Only thing I want to add: She’s from Switzerland, not from Sweden. Why do people always mix these countries up? :)

Neil McPhillips 4 October, 2012 @ 7:59 pm

Hey, sorry about the wrong country, it appears to be what our records show though.

Mondchueh 4 October, 2012 @ 7:40 pm   9

No waaaaaaay :D I am totally excited… never thought, I’d actually win!!!

Neil McPhillips 4 October, 2012 @ 8:02 pm

Huge congratulations from everyone on the team! We loved the character and I hope you like finding him in the game when it’s out.

As soon as the game is released we’ll be posting off your PSVita and code for the game.

Enjoy and let us know what you think once you’ve played it.

ChazzH69 4 October, 2012 @ 8:11 pm   10

It was fun to take part. I look forward to playing this game and getting those characters. Going to enjoy playing this game with the family.

The continuation of the Fan creation DLC would be good.

@Neil McPhillips not at all, was happy to take part and hope you continue to do things like this in future :) Cant wait to play the game!

@Izorpo that is one awesome Morris dancer!

7# Hehe yeah it always happens!

Wired_Gantz 4 October, 2012 @ 9:53 pm   13

Congratulations to all the winners, especially D-Squad3, I guess we had the same concept in mind! :D http://twitpic.com/b11emg

ssrai2000 11 October, 2012 @ 9:25 am   14

Love the artwork!

IgnacioSan86 25 October, 2012 @ 3:22 pm   15

Hey, Im a finalist !!

I whould really want to win just to see my character ingame, I hope you actually use our designs (at least mine) in a incoming DLCs !!! (and I spect its free also =P)

Thank you very much for apreciate my work! and dont forget to call me if You have any free spot for an illustrator in your team =P

Wow, I didn´t think I would win anything, but now I got to know I got into the runner-up section and that´s always nice =D Mine is the baby one with the gloves and baby headband. Thanks for choosing mine as one of the second places.