Posted 10 October

Derrick the Deathfin takes a bite out of PSN today

Being a teenage shark constructed entirely from paper is not easy at the best of times. For Derrick, having just witnessed the brutal soupification of his parents, this was the worst of times.

Join Derrick on his demented rampage through an insane paper world! Consume, collect, fight, jump and race your paper face through 32 levels of challenging cut-out craziness! Meet, great and eat all manner of goofy paper characters! Decimate manmade mega structures in an orgy of rigid destruction! Duel to the death with big brittle baddies! Propel yourself into the air like a penguin strapped to a rocket!

america_north_01safari_africa_01<

china_01america_south_01

Right after you have stopped reading this blog post to go and pick up your copy of Derrick, feel free to come back and construct your very own Sharkus Derrickus using the DIY papercraft template below!

puffer_fishshark partsshark_p3

Derrick the Deathfin is available on PSN later today for €6.99. PlayStation Plus subscribers get a 30% discount for a limited time too! I’ll be answering questions below – please fire away!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

49 Comments 39 Author replies
Show oldest first

MordecaiHunter 10 October, 2012 @ 1:10 pm   1

The Lack Of PS Vita Support On These New Games is a Joke !

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 1:16 pm

Your words and your avatar are a little intimidating MordecaiHunter. In fact I just noticed your name is intimidating too, sounds like you are some sort of Romanian knight!
    *Starts to run away*

*Shouts from the distance*
    Love for the Vita noted though, enjoy Derrick!

swahilikongen 10 October, 2012 @ 1:11 pm   2

Looks fun & different. Gonna buy it when the store updates :-) How many trophies will there be?

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

Thanks much appreciated!

14 trophies: 1 gold, 2 silver, the rest bronze.

All trophies are cut out of one large sheet of cardboard in order to minimise waste!

Instant purchase from me!

2 questions:
Is dlc being planned for this title with more levels or that is finale and we will only get this?

Regarding the 30% discount for playstation plus for how many time will we get the discount 1 week? And also how much will it be seeling with the 30% 4.99€?

Thanks for answering and good luck with sales, the trailer and behind the scenes were great.

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 1:22 pm

Thank-you elrimen really nice to hear your positive comments!

2 answers:

No dlc planned at the moment. In the future who knows, we are a 2 man team so just happy to have shipped Derrick on PS3 for the moment!

PSPlus discount runs for 2 weeks I believe – not sure of exact price in Euros.

Enjoy Derrick!

Looks like a fun game for my PSVita. Any plans?

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 1:23 pm

No plans at the moment but Derrick always gets a lot of Vita love so lets see what the future brings.

good_salvia 10 October, 2012 @ 1:14 pm   5

What time will the updates show up in england, been sitting at my ps3 waiting for bulletstorm for a wbile now, its like 13.15 and still no games :(

I’ve been interested in this and will be picking it up

how much is this in £££’s?

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 1:25 pm

Yes thanks Izorpo!

£5.49 I believe. Cheap at half the price. Except it’s not half the price as that would be £2.75.

Regardless it’s pretty good value!

Falcon1991 10 October, 2012 @ 1:14 pm   7

Can’t wait to try it out. :)

Falcon1991 10 October, 2012 @ 1:17 pm   8

good_saliva, The store updates between 3-5 UK time. Always does… mostly.

Hi, nice game! This is so different from anything else on PSN!

Any chance for a co-op mode a la LittleBigPlanet, online or offline?

Also, I believe it would be fantastic on the PS VITA!

Hope for the best!

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 1:28 pm

Hi! Everything is possible in the future, including making breakfast. For the moment we are concentrating on our PS3 release tho!

Falcon1991 10 October, 2012 @ 1:19 pm   10

Fail. salvia not saliva :(

good_salvia 10 October, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   11

Aite cheers, just hv to get baked and play a bit of cod or summet white i wait

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 1:30 pm

I believe it is the cod you should be baking. The other way round seems a little irresponsible.

Chocobo115 10 October, 2012 @ 1:22 pm   12

I’ll think about it but think I might pick this up, I like the art, it feels kinda different and the PS+ discount is unusual generous.

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 1:31 pm

I am an unusually generous man Chocobo115.

Please reply with your home address & I will send you a small packet of armadillos.

Why is there no Online leaderboard for the game?

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

Hello! There is no online leaderboard for the same reason there is no local co-op, multiplayer etc. We are a 2 man team & the game wouldn’t benefit from it!

But then I would say that I am horrendously biased!

Vannaa_Girl 10 October, 2012 @ 1:23 pm   14

hahaha

Gordon Midwood – Head of Fresh Produce, Different Tuna

that is the best title post name i have seen in ages :)

This game looks so much fun i shall take a look also, it would be great to see more Vita support yes :)

I much prefer playing Vita at the moment on the sofa and anyway i can watch Americas next top model while gaming :P but back to subject such a fun looking game

well done and thank you for bringing us this

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

America’s next top model you say? What channel is that on? Do they feature only the genuinely *top* models? Also do you know if America’s Top Model supports multiplayer?

Thanks for not translating the dollar price in euro’s like some do.
This hones gesture gets my money.

Looks nice and unique. Is there a demo available?

Vannaa_Girl 10 October, 2012 @ 1:27 pm   17

ahh i just see 2 man team

this should get all our support, please please buy after store update :)

Opt1mus76 10 October, 2012 @ 1:29 pm   18

Been looking forward to this for a while now. With Joe Danger 2, Worms Revolution and Derrick the Deathfin all out today I’m almost expecting Eu to get Walking Dead ep4 (seriously, could we get it without a delayed release?) or maybe CS:GO (living in cloud cuckoo land now) just to push my download cap to its limits
Now, if I can just drag myself off Fifa 13 for few hours…

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

1. I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
    2. I have never heard of those other games you mention. Frankly they all sound a bit rubbish – please buy Derrick instead!

vonhammer 10 October, 2012 @ 1:42 pm   19

I will buy this,possibly this weekend.But with the + content,XCOM,Tokyo Jungle and playing God Hand again,I’m struggling for time.

One thing I love is Derrick’s expression as he swims along :) it’s like “I’m Del,I’m shark,and whatever”

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

If you really need to make time I would suggest becoming a watchmaker.

Otherwise just pick up Derrick when it’s up on the store, it’s probably easier.

“I would encourage you to pick up the game and assess it for what it is, not what it isn’t.”

Great reply Gordon. If you guys shouldn’t be able to keep your indie dreams alive, some big publisher should hire you for PR.

Generally like the humor of you 2 guys, sadly the kind of gameplay seen in the trailer isn’t really my thing. Good luck though!

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 1:52 pm

Thanks Golwar, I used to work in advertising but it didn’t work out as I didn’t like any of the products.

You would like the game if you pick it up I’m sure of that.

Also the other guy, Ronzo, is not really that funny at all. This is more than adequately compensated for by myself, of course.

@ Gordon Midwood

I haven’t changed avatars in years but you do have an interesting avatar are you guys going to release avatars of Derrick ?

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 1:48 pm

Yes yes there are 10 on the EU store right now! All of them look ace, atm I have a slight preference for Fishus Trianglus but that’s just me.

#Gordon Midwood

Oh didn’t know that it’s just a 2-man work for this game! Anyway even thought there is no Onlineleaderboard I will still pick it because I like the look AND a good price.

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 1:53 pm

Thanks kivi95, I knew I could win you round – welcome to Team Derrick!

Opt1mus76 10 October, 2012 @ 1:51 pm   23

@20 as you’ll see from my avatar, they already have released some

chrisboers 10 October, 2012 @ 2:07 pm   24

I loved the trailer you released earlier, and if the game contains half the mad fun you put in that trailer, it should be a fine addition to my collection. Too bad about the lack of Vita support, I would have loved to play it on there, and I’m sure you can come up with a lot of funny ideas with those Vita controls!
Maybe a Vita sequel?

Great to see a 2-person indie devteam achieve such a great looking game with its very own graphics identity .You’re stealing the thunder of Tearaway, do you realize that?? ;-)

Great job guys!

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

Thanks Chris, who knows what will happen? As long as this one goes well we are open for anything. Apart from maybe Christmas party bookings for groups of over 20 in size – we simply wouldn’t have the space for all of them.

Oh, I know what you are capable of since the interview that you had on Gamasutra. Caused at least one or even two chuckles!

I had no idea that you already worked in advertising however. Guess it shouldn’t surprise me that you (and the one who hired you probably too) considered yourself to be a good candidate for marketing.

Oh yes, there was a game to be sold too I think. I’ll consider it. :P

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

But Golwar I am the developer of the game! I made the levels and programming and all that stuff! Ronzo is the artist and that’s it, we are the team. So basically I hired myself – which in retrospect is one of the best decisions I ever made.

ooh bargain price yep will definitely be picking it up

dogwalker4000 10 October, 2012 @ 2:17 pm   27

Gotta say was not that interested before now but Mr. Midwood this post has cheered me up a lil. You can tell this game is made with a lot of love and humour, you have my full support and I hope you guys earn the success you deserve.

I’m buying on Friday, great job!

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 2:22 pm

Thanks dude, but why wait until Friday?

On second thoughts I guess it probably does take at least 2 days to walk 4000 dogs.

Looks like a day one purchase to me. Agree with the folks above this would be great on the Vita.

Don’t take this the wrong way, the cosmetic look of the game reminds me of sound shapes, Which is great in my books as I love sound shapes.

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

Vita love +1!

Can’t take that the wrong way mxk1000, Sound Shapes is a lovely & great looking game!

Enjoy the paper mania!

Not so fast, I’m not totaly convinced yet.
1) Does the shark get a freeking laser, later on in the game.
2) Will you bring out a much improved version in the future for another platform and don´t update this version like some companies do.

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 2:30 pm

Cool, I could use the chance to slow down a little.

Here are your answers OttoT!

1) No the shark does not get a “freeking laser”. He knows how to freak without the need for additional weaponry.
    2) No plans for extra versions that would undermine this one! We are a PS3 exclusive and a 2 man team so the only immediate plans we have are for some sleep!

FrIeD-GoAt 10 October, 2012 @ 2:34 pm   30

What a cool guy you are Gordon for replying to everyone.

FrIeD-GoAt 10 October, 2012 @ 2:34 pm   31

And this would look beautiful on vita.

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 2:41 pm

You realise I have to respond to this comment now too right?

Have added you to the mammoth fictional Vita wishlist, thanks again fried goat!

Talk about “shark jumping”… this game is crazy >.<

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 2:42 pm

Is it really crazy? Or are you the crazy one for thinking that? Everyone else around here seems to think the game is perfectly normal.

Thank you.

Both for the game and for being a developer with a sense of humour who replies to comments on the Playstation Blog.

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 2:43 pm

No problem pb-live! The pleasure was mine to measure, hope you enjoy the game!

Oh its definitely crazy… in a good way. Also with Joe danger coming out too, theres gonna be alot of crazyness this week for me to enjoy.

Shark’s Fin Soup:
1 pound shark’s fin, about 8 pieces
16 cups water
6 large dried black Chinese mushrooms
6 canned bamboo shoots, drained
3 tablespoons Shaoxing or dry Sherry wine
4 thin slices fresh ginger
3 tablespoons corn, peanut or vegetable oil
9 cups chicken broth, canned or homemade
Salt to taste, if desired

Yummy!

Oh, and a great looking game! :) Will probably buy it if the South African Rand price is good…

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

Thank-you!

Derrick does not like Sharkfin delicacies for obvious reasons.

fauxtronic 10 October, 2012 @ 2:51 pm   36

If you post any more PS+ offers in posts *not* filed under the playstation-plus category, I’m going to arrange for Liam Neeson to call you on the phone. :P

Fred Dutton 10 October, 2012 @ 2:57 pm

Eek! This offer was mentioned in the main October Plus update post last week, and is in the Store Update post today too, so nobody will miss it. However, feedback duly noted!

Have enough money on my wallet so you can have it. Just don’t go drinking all the profits.

Seriously though, well done on bringing something unique and interesting to psn. Hope it does well for ye.

Vannaa_Girl 10 October, 2012 @ 3:05 pm   38

yes we like interesting and ofc cwazzy developers :)

Good luck again on this lovely looking game

LiquidSolid 10 October, 2012 @ 3:22 pm   39

No Aus/NZ release? Wow, thanks. You’ve saved my wallet a few dollars.

Falcon1991 10 October, 2012 @ 3:22 pm   40

Some of your comments genuinely made me laugh out loud. :D

I like your enthusiasm.

Fred Dutton 10 October, 2012 @ 3:39 pm

Seconded! Gordon currently red hot favourite for guest poster of the year! Gordon, make more games so we can have you back on here!

chrisboers 10 October, 2012 @ 3:36 pm   41

Add: with that nice Deathfin template, I had anticipated you would have run some kind of contest. Doesn’t matter, my kid will love to create his own deathfish anyway :-)

Gordon Midwood 10 October, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

Your anticipation skills are exemplary – we intended to but didn’t have the time!

Falcon1991 10 October, 2012 @ 3:58 pm   42

Aaaaand I’ve just bought your game. :)

Downloading it with Bulletstorm & Marvel VS Capcom: Origins so I’m sorted for weeks. :)

Fred, simply offer Gordon Ross’ old job in a last minute arrangement. What could possibly go wrong?

*sees an army of papercrafted Plus titles ahead*

Fred Dutton 10 October, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

Heh, nice idea, but I think Gordon seems to be having more than enough fun in his current job!

bennyrafal 10 October, 2012 @ 6:47 pm   44

While reading this i made decision to buy ;))

and Gordon – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprykarz_szczeci%C5%84ski

gift for Derrick ;D

Scubafinch 10 October, 2012 @ 8:18 pm   45

Hi Gordon.

Is there any reason why Derrick isn’t available in AU/NZ? The countries associated with this post include us antipodeans, but the store update specifically excluded us.

I have a disappointed 5 year old on my hands now…

Scubafinch 11 October, 2012 @ 12:04 am   46

I got a response from the twitter account, Derrick won’t be released in AU/NZ due to high classification costs. This might change if sales are good in other markets.

Vannaa_Girl 11 October, 2012 @ 7:26 am   47

Just to say i picked this up last night it is as much fun as it looked.

it was given a good review in ign also if anyone is interested. Any good review off ign usually means it is better :)

Prem-aka-Prince 11 October, 2012 @ 9:53 am   48

Bought this last night right after reading the comments. Thanks for coming back rather than just letting your game release quietly! Well, the ps blog is not a huge amount of publicity, but I hope you’re getting enough exposure overall. Your making-of video posted last time was a laugh, and your comments this time have made me laugh out loud.

Best of luck with your new release!

Ball-bagman 11 October, 2012 @ 1:04 pm   49

Well, I would be very much happy to play this but sad times have fallen upon me with the resent death of my PS3…
But, all is not lost as my Vita is still keeping me company, just not with this game.
(Thought I would add to the “Wow, this would be great on the Vita” comments)
Looks great!