Posted 3:00pm

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale beta kicks off this week!

PS All Stars beta lead image

We hope you’ve been keeping track of all the recent updates on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale news. From an in-depth update on the PS Vita version to our behind-the-scenes look at mashing up different worlds, we’ve shown you what this game is shaping up to be… and we think it’s high time you try it out for yourselves!

Today, we’re happy to announce that the PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale beta will kick off for PlayStation Plus members on PlayStation 3 on 17th October and then expand to everyone from 24th October through PlayStation Store!

What’s more, as a special treat, PS Vita users will be able dive right into the multiplayer beta starting tomorrow – no Plus subscription required. The beta will support Cross-Play, so PS3 and PS Vita owners will be able to fight with and against each other.

So, what exactly will be in the beta?

• You’ll be able to play as Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Colonel Radec, Sly Cooper, PaRappa and Fat Princess.
  • You’ll be able to play in both the Metropolis and Hades stages.
  • You’ll be able to try out four-player online tournaments and 2 vs 2 online tournaments. For the 2 vs 2 games we’ll be supporting friend invites, so you and a friend can fight another team online.

This, of course, is only a tiny fraction of what PlayStation All-Stars has to offer, but we thought you’d love the chance to try it early and see what all the buzz is about. This beta is also really helpful for us as it allows us to load test the servers before releasing the game. Be sure to hop on quickly as we’ll be ending the beta on 30th October!

But that’s not all. As you know, we have a pre-order program running right now that unlocks a set of exclusive costumes in the game. Today we’re happy to unveil the rest of the costumes you’ll be getting with your pre-order of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

PSASBR_AltCharacterSkins

Unlocked with your pre-order at participating retailers, these costumes will work for both the PS3 and PS Vita when it releases on 21st November (22nd in Australia & New Zealand, 23rd in UK & Ireland), so be sure to reserve your copy today. And don’t forget: PlayStation All-Stars features Cross-Buy support, so if you purchase the PS3 version, you’ll get a downloadable PS Vita version for no extra cost.

With beta access beginning in two days, we look forward to getting your feedback on the game and seeing what you think of this highly anticipated title. Spread the word and we’ll see you online!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

204 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first

homerthegreat 15 October, 2012 @ 3:07 pm   1

I only have one thing to say…YAY!! :D

JujitsuWarrior81 15 October, 2012 @ 3:08 pm   2

if you purchase the Vita version does Cross-Buy apply? do you get the PS3 version on download?

JujitsuWarrior81 15 October, 2012 @ 3:09 pm   3

on another note this is awsomw news :)

manutreble 15 October, 2012 @ 3:09 pm   4

Can’t wait to play this game

While it looks awesome I still dont think its really a game that justifies paying £40 for as to me it kinda looks like a psn title instead of a full disc-based game if you know what i mean. So I guess I will wait intill a Platinum version gets released for £15 next year.

Im liking the whole cross-buy/cross-play feature though. And as I currently have a vita I will most definitely try out the Beta :D

chrisboers 15 October, 2012 @ 3:17 pm   6

Played the beta, and didn’t like it. It’s messy, characters are very small compared to the environment. The changing background and playingfield is very interesting though.

It took me half a dozen games and an internet search to find out why I always finished last without a single score, only to find out that only special attacks can kill. Who came up with that idea?

All in all, I’ll leave this beta for others to play. I hope the devs learn from my experience, and fix some of the issues I encountered.

Cool!!! Thanks for the info Gavin !

I just wish some Jap characters joined the party too ;/
Any news about Abe!??

2# No. The psvita version is cheaper so if that was the case everyone would have bought the cheaper version.

But you can still play it locally with friends in the beta, right? I know you want to stresstest your servers but I want to enjoy the beta as much as I can^^ And local is the way to play multiplayer

LiquidRunner 15 October, 2012 @ 3:28 pm   10

It is good to see that Sly has made a recovery and is now joining in the fun :).

- LiquidRunner
PlayStation Beta Trial Coordinator

Gamesgbkiller 15 October, 2012 @ 3:38 pm   11

is it just online ?
really want to play split screen pr try cross play with VITA ( not online )

Falcon1991 15 October, 2012 @ 3:44 pm   12

Pity we can’t try offline but I’ll still give it a go.

I was relatively good at SSBM & B so hopefully this won’t be too different

Reality_palez 15 October, 2012 @ 3:46 pm   13

Will the game be out on psn day 1

Can’t wait to play the single player campain.
Kidding besides, I’ll suck at this but I’ll give it a try.
I hope the team took chrisboers’s input because it sounds like good advice.

ryannumber3gamer 15 October, 2012 @ 4:19 pm   15

Looks like i picked the right time to renew my PS Plus membership. I am glad i renewed it on Saturday. Can’t wait to play it again, I got into the PS Vita private beta and i loved it!.

homerthegreat 15 October, 2012 @ 4:51 pm   16

@Reality_palez: From what I have heard yes it will be :)

BTW any idea what time the beta will be available for the vita tomorrow? :)

If I like the beta, I’ll get a year subscription on the Official Playstation Magazine, it has PS All Stars PS3 on disc for free + PSVita version free for download up on offer for 54 Euro!

Nice!

SHIFTY_NIP 16 October, 2012 @ 12:28 am   18

Can anyone confirm if Cross-Buy will be applicable for Australia?

I don’t have a PS3 right now, but considering purchasing the PS3 version anyway if there’s cross-buy! Is there a code I can redeem through the Vita store?

Will the UK be getting in on this Vita all-stars beta today?
Also, same question as above, do vita copies get the PS3 version free? If not, I would like to know why not? Vita has much more limited space than the PS3, makes more sense to me to have the PS3 version has a download.

Digidevil4 16 October, 2012 @ 10:38 am   20

First off, thanks for finally giving me a worth while to use my vita, there is only so many times I can play Tetriminos mini -.-

Secondly, If I download this on my vita can i re-download it on my PS3 without needing PS plus? I would quite like to cross play with my mates.

ShadowDoGGG 16 October, 2012 @ 12:38 pm   21

I hope it is different enough from smash bros, I hate direct copy of stuff especially from Ninty

b-boyJay23 16 October, 2012 @ 1:03 pm   22

Is the beta for the Vita meant to be on psn? if so i don’t see it?

TINTINTB303 16 October, 2012 @ 1:17 pm   23

@LAA612

No. Cross-Buy only works if you buy the PS3 version.

Why??

Because the PS3 version will cost about £40/£45 and the Vita version will cost about £30. So that is why.

Hope that helps? :-)

TINTINTB303 16 October, 2012 @ 1:21 pm   24

Plus Sony want to put you into a situation where you have to buy there more expensive Vita memory cards ;-)

Not that I am complaining because a free game is free game however you want to slice it! :-D

S-o-h-a-i-l 16 October, 2012 @ 2:25 pm   25

Anyone know whether the Vita beta is actually launching today or just was this a typo ?

look good but not supper good
u can not buy every game = to expensif ;)
u realy need bigger karakter wen u play solo ore 2 players !

stil need ac3 ps3- vita
hitman
far cry 3
some dlc from borderlands = after summer also very calm end of the jear to me in game contry , i realy hoopt to have ni no kuni but neet to wait jan.so bit disepointed .

of topic = i see new video from update store
= big aploud
only 2 ????

why stil not video demand in lots europe contry = i am not to to rich to buy every film = renting jes not 1 video renting in mi surounding ( no i stil not need digi recorders , i stil have normal tv kabel )

also i tink pa pal en ideal on store = +
but why in godsname not via sms ??? every body can use sms
ith works fine on sims 3 pc .

last but not least = download list manegment ( = puting tings in maps ) = very soon please .

rest keep up te good work

Is this the same as the beta from a few weeks ago or will I need to download a new version?

LiquidRunner 16 October, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

It is a different (& improved) version/download from the Public Limited Beta that took place a few weeks back :).

- LiquidRunner
    PlayStation Beta Trial Coordinator

ra1nfield 16 October, 2012 @ 4:03 pm   28

its 17:03 the 17th Oct. I havent found the way to download the beta yet for my Vita! getting nervous! :S

chrisboers 16 October, 2012 @ 4:08 pm   29

@ra1nfield: Thanks for this message from the future! (Hint: check the date)
Oh, and tomorrow around this time you might still not find it, as this week’s update brings the new PS Store, which might take a little bit extra time.

ra1nfield 16 October, 2012 @ 4:22 pm   30

OH DAMN! I forgot bout the timezones….god i feel like an idiot. Well then tis withint the next 2 hours i suppose. Atleast from what i’ve heard.

Digidevil4 16 October, 2012 @ 4:29 pm   31

Are Vita users getting this today or tommorrow??

supersmith2500 16 October, 2012 @ 4:52 pm   32

Might give this a go on the Vita. Seriously going to play with Sly and Parappa. So when does this Online Beta a start?

Mattrapid441 16 October, 2012 @ 4:58 pm   33

Apparently the Vita Beta starts tomorrow(Wednesday 17th October) because the text was copied from the U.S Blog and there store updates are on tuesday.

b-boyJay23 16 October, 2012 @ 4:59 pm   34

I’ve asked when this beta is out at 1pm!!!! I even asked someone who works at PlayStation (asked this morning). Still no reply. Honestly do not understand why these updates have a comments section because we’re on comment 32 and counting, it’s 5pm and still no reply. We’re all better off just waiting till the game is out in November. Bet this section wont get a reply till then tut tut!

LiquidRunner 16 October, 2012 @ 5:09 pm

We are hoping for later this evening. Keep an eye out :).

- LiquidRunner
    PlayStation Beta Trial Coordinator

Can’t wait to play with you guys across the pond when the Beta is available for everyone.

ryannumber3gamer 16 October, 2012 @ 5:06 pm   36

When is the PS Vita beta coming???

ryannumber3gamer 16 October, 2012 @ 5:09 pm   37

@Liquidrunner can you confirm the PS Vita beta starts today and what time. I was part of the private beta people for Vita and i really want to try Sly out!!!! Also i’m just wondering but does Beta players get anything when the full game comes out like Little Big Planet and Uncharted 3?

supersmith2500 16 October, 2012 @ 5:16 pm   38

Also, can you please tell GranZella to fix the white screen glitch for the Southern Island? Thanks.

supersmith2500 16 October, 2012 @ 5:17 pm   39

@38
Oops, wrong topic, silly me. X (

ryannumber3gamer 16 October, 2012 @ 5:26 pm   40

@LiquidRunner

So it will be live at around 6 o clock – 9 o clock?

@LiquidRunner Cool, look forward to seeing what improvements have been made and playing with Sly!

@TINTINTB303,

Yeah, I know the Vita version is cheaper, but I would pay £40 for vita version if I got PS3 download with it.
Sony are making wrong choices if they’re trying to get more money for memory cards out of people, and even for the people that do decide to do that, its a long and painful process to set up your vita to use another card, so its like we’re punished no matter what we do.

About All stars beta, apparently my friend found it on his store, nothing for me yet. Hoping UK wont be screwed unneccessarily for another day for no reason.

…Nevermind that, my friend lied to me >:(

Digidevil4 16 October, 2012 @ 7:02 pm   44

cmon….. its 7pm..

S-o-h-a-i-l 16 October, 2012 @ 7:16 pm   45

Still nothing ?! Come on Sony !

DarktaxFA 16 October, 2012 @ 7:16 pm   46

been waiting all day while playing wow all day to keep my mind off this beta till it comes out …..please let it come out soon and add me DarktaxFA if anyone up for few matchs ; D

b-boyJay23 16 October, 2012 @ 7:17 pm   47

@Digidevil4 – It will not be out today. Most likely this time tomorrow as the psn store is updated on Wednesdays.

S-o-h-a-i-l 16 October, 2012 @ 7:19 pm   48

Did you not read the reply to your post ? He said later this evening.

ryannumber3gamer 16 October, 2012 @ 7:22 pm   49

@B-boy, Nope LiquidRunner said they are putting it on the store sometime this evening.

ryannumber3gamer 16 October, 2012 @ 7:23 pm   50

Just to clear things up, Vita players get it today. PS3 Beta is on the store tomorrow for PS Plus and then everyone on the 24th.

Load all