Posted 15 October

Treasure Park for PS Vita: How to play like a pro

Hi everyone! I’ll let you into a secret. When I’m not busy in my role as President of Worldwide Studios I live a secret double life! I’m a pro treasure hunter and was even at one point ranked number one in the world. My specialist field is an app only available on PS Vita called Treasure Park (although I can also be found searching for Drake’s Fortune in the Golden Abyss).

I’m always on the lookout for new challengers, so today I’d like to share some of my experience with fledgling treasure hunters around the globe so that one day, you too might become a world-class pro.

Step 1:

Sheet

Peace 2x2Peace L

Peace 1Peace I

When hunting for treasure, it’s very important to bear in mind the concept of pieces. There are four different pieces hidden on a sheet; at the start, you’re told the colors of where some parts of these pieces lie. This information is very important!

Let’s focus on the bombs. In this example shown above, blue and yellow are risky colors.

Bomb

Step 2:

There are two bombs lurking somewhere among the blue squares and one bomb somewhere in the yellow squares. Let’s plot these out – a true pro never rushes in blindly.

Okay, now let’s try tapping on a square we’re sure won’t contain a bomb.

Step 3:

Here I’ve tapped on a red square and revealed some medals. I’m also given some information about the surrounding squares – if something is hidden there, a treasure chest icon appears. We know what’s on the right won’t be a bomb, but as the square on the left is yellow there’s a chance a bomb could be hiding there…

I need some more clues, so I’m going to tap another color I know is safe.

Step 4:
This time, there’s nothing to be found in the orange square I’ve tapped but I can see there’s something hidden in the square directly to the right. Taking note of squares where nothing is hidden is just as crucial to unravelling the puzzle.

From the clues I have now, I’ve deduced the whereabouts of the L-shaped piece. Can you work it out too?

But let’s get back to tracking down the all-important treasure…

Treasure

Step 5:

I know that the treasure is diagonally opposite an orange square, so let’s work out the potential candidates.

Step 6:

Now to narrow it down further…

The square I’ve just tapped on has revealed more medals. There are also three medal squares contained within the treasure piece. So my next tip is to remember that where there are lots of medals there’s bound to be treasure!

Step 7:

Okay, so now I’ve worked out the location of the 2×2 piece. However, you only get five guesses on each sheet and it’s my last chance. In this case, I need to go with my gut instinct.

Step 8:

Great – I got the treasure! Once you’ve run out of turns you’re able to see where all the pieces were hidden. Looks like my analysis was spot on!

Found treasure

If you’ve been able to keep up with me so far, you’ll have the tools you need to graduate from treasure hunter beginner’s school. But don’t stop there! There are hundreds of skilled treasure hunters around the globe, and you can use group messaging or “near” to swap sheets with other hunters around you and hone your skills.

If you need any further sheet-building tips to help you progress to the next rank just let me know in the comments and I’ll see what I can do!

I should also mention that since system software version 1.80, Wi-Fi PS Vita systems can determine your location by scanning nearby Wi-Fi access points – so whether you’ve got the 3G or Wi-Fi flavor of PS Vita you can embark on a truly global treasure hunt!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

34 Comments 13 Author replies
Show oldest first

chrisboers 15 October, 2012 @ 4:15 pm   1

Excellent guide for those new to Treasure Park, which is strangely addictive indeed! The latest update for Treasure Park is excellent, as you now don’t have to send out your challenge sheet to people you know. When they sync with Near, they’ll get it automatically! One of the most surprising improvements. Quite small, but with big impact.
Together with Bomblitz, this is part of my daily routine…

Fred Dutton 15 October, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

Seconded, it’s a fiendishly addictive creation, and one that deserves more attention. Yoshida-san is extraordinarily good at it!

Shuhei Yoshida 16 October, 2012 @ 11:43 am

You are exactly right! Thank you for playing Treasure Park!

The problem I found with Treasure Park was that nobody in my friends or on my near radar shared any puzzles, leaving me with nothing to do. It could really do with a public discovery / sharing system so people who play Treasure Park can find each other. :)

Shuhei Yoshida 16 October, 2012 @ 11:48 am

Have you tried carrying your PS Vita to populated areas and check “near” button, even when you cannot connect to Internet? Next time you log on to PSN and check in near, you can send all location info at once and correct near gifts from all those places.

good guide

Dark-Twisted 15 October, 2012 @ 11:09 pm   4

My favourite guy at Sony right here. An exec that gives us gaming tips instead of the usual jargon.

I’ll definitely be giving Treasure Park another look, thanks yosp!

Shuhei Yoshida is a legend. I have been using the same guide for awhile but rushed it and lost my streak. I don’t get many maps as I live in a quiet area.

It’s a nice little (free) game that can get very addictive!

TINTINTB303 16 October, 2012 @ 9:36 am   6

@Shuhei Yoshida

You have been playing this (very addictive) game for a while now so maybe you’ll have a better, wider view on this question.

What percentage of playing Treasure Park is skill based and what percentage is luck based?

I would say about 75% skill and 25% Luck but I’m sure you’ll say my percentages are off and it’s more like 90% skill based. ;-)

I know you are a busy man but would love to know what your thoughts are on the matter!

TINTIN :-)

Shuhei Yoshida 16 October, 2012 @ 11:50 am

It’s a great question. I feel like normally it’s about 75% skill and 25% luck, but when I’m drinking and playing, it flips to 75% luck :)

TINTINTB303 16 October, 2012 @ 9:39 am   7

@MikLSP

Add me if you want to. I usually have one or two sheets left at the end of the day and would be more than happy to send them your way :-)

Fred Dutton 16 October, 2012 @ 9:45 am   8

Shuhei is planning to stop by and answer some questions later today, so please fire away!

Please, please, please – remember that 10% of the male population are colour blind.

My own brand of colour blindness means I can’t distinguish bright green from bright yellow. At least with a “no time limit” game like this, I can spend time trying to spot the difference, but it adds an entirely new level of difficulty when you have to first determine which squares are which colours, then you get it wrong anyway and select a yellow when you meant a green.

Maybe just a simple cross-hatch pattern or something on the green to make it stand out? Or just a slightly darker shade of green (though there you will hit problems with people with severe red/green issues). I’m pretty sure there has to be a “universal colour blind friendly” pallet available to designers?

Shuhei Yoshida 16 October, 2012 @ 11:52 am

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry we were not considering people like you. I’ll discuss with the dev team.

chrisboers 16 October, 2012 @ 11:00 am   10

Ok, in that case, I’ll fire this question. I hope non-Treasure Park questions are allowed.

In light of ever-increasing globalization of the (gaming) world, do you see a future for the current regionalized approach to digital distribution, or do you anticipate one global distribution network (including one PS Store, a global SEN account etc)? I understand there are (legal and contractual) regional restrictions right now, but in five years maybe? Is this something Sony actively pursues?

Shuhei Yoshida 16 October, 2012 @ 11:55 am

It’s a great question! There are both positives and negatives in the current regional approach, and I admit I have 3 PSN IDs for Japan, US and Europe…

chrisboers 16 October, 2012 @ 11:01 am   11

Hmmm. My post doesn’t get posted?

chrisboers 16 October, 2012 @ 11:02 am   12

Ah, there it is :-) Sorry for the last post (and this one)

TINTINTB303 16 October, 2012 @ 11:11 am   13

@Shuhei Yoshida

How is the Global Rankings Score worked out??

I am ranked 2540th, level S with 232972 coins, score is 915651

Someone ranked 2 above me at 2538th is level E with 1457 coins and a score of 915981

So less coins (only 1457!!) and a lower rank E has a higher score and thus ranked higher than myself!?!

I am confused! (doesn’t take much ;-))

If you could explain the calculation that creates your score and place on the Global Rankings that would be greatly appreciated.

TINTIN :-)

Plus if your personal “stats area” could display your best “Found in a row” and not just your current one that would be great!

People don’t believe that I got 27 in a row ;-)

Shuhei Yoshida 16 October, 2012 @ 11:59 am

The ranking on Treasure Park is the “sum of scores of all of your friends and you”, so it’s a group score. This is designed to encourage people to increase your friend list, especially with those good Treasure Park players that live near you!

A tip for bragging your best win streak, take a screen shot when you reach a high number. Feel free to tweet the screen shot to brag to your friends (like I’ve been doing!). My best win streak so far is 78 :)

chrisboers 16 October, 2012 @ 11:59 am   14

Re answer to #2: Now, there’s a great possibility I had never considered. Do you have more of those kind of tips?

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer questions on this blog. The relatively low number of reactions to this blogpost is partly due to the PSN maintenance yesterday, which kept people from logging in an reacting.

Shuhei Yoshida 16 October, 2012 @ 12:05 pm

Another tip is just increase your PSN friends! See who are Treasure Park players that live near you, among those you encounter via near, then send friend requests to them. With the update, you can now pick up by near all your friends Treasure Sheets from anywhere! Also, all your friends can pick up your Treasure Sheets from anywhere as well.

When you solve Treasure Sheets sent from your friends via group message, the score multiplier increases to x2 then x3. When you play near Sheets the next time, you get the score multiples (for both positive and negative). When you find the treasure on a S Rank player sheet with x3 multiples, you can get 4,500 points!

Dark-Twisted 16 October, 2012 @ 12:23 pm   15

^ The global approach would be a very interesting experiment for PS Home, even if the stores were kept regional. I haven’t been on Home much anymore, seems there’s less people to speak to and more foreign language speakers. I kinda miss the fun ol’ times…

Dark-Twisted 16 October, 2012 @ 12:25 pm   16

Oops, that was directed at comment #10.

TINTINTB303 16 October, 2012 @ 12:55 pm   17

@Shuhei

Cheers for all the replies. Much appreciated.

My new “in a row” target is 79 so I can brag that I am better than
Sony’s Big Boss ;-)

I don’t drink so percentage wise I’m off to a good start :-D

Thanks once again

TINTIN :-)

chrisboers 16 October, 2012 @ 1:21 pm   18

Mr Yoshida, thanks for your answers and great tips. A friends request is on its way (hopefully in the direction of one of your SEN accounts). Can’t wait to see those S-level sheets!

Skookie30 16 October, 2012 @ 2:05 pm   19

great app in my opinion on my vita i need to sort out nat type as near location not working but i will carry my vita up town pressing near.

since you here shuhei i got some tough questions for you, since SCEE having a really bad weeks with delays & things.

1 why do you need to use the so called unfair muti-region system that 5 years EU haven’t got the same love as SCEA & SCEJ when it comes to content?.

2 how many people work in SCEE then the of regions?

3 why do SCEE have to use a different QA then other regions?

4 last question do we ever to get a universal store & get rid of SCEE’s metetdata?

because i know the other 2 companies have to the same issues sony got licensing/localisation etc but MS manage it so well example getting content on time and not fair level ground of content For all.

Shuhei Yoshida 16 October, 2012 @ 3:22 pm

Skookie30 16 October, 2012 @ 2:09 pm   20

* hmm the last sentence didn’t turn out right get rid of not as it clear MS can do better but having same issues too.

Stonesthrow 16 October, 2012 @ 3:34 pm   21

Couldn’t get into this.. Treasures of Monte Zuma still gets played frequently though.

TheTedster 16 October, 2012 @ 4:05 pm   22

Shuhei Yoshida

Even though this isn’t my type of game, its good to see you write an article on ps blog and respond to peoples comment.
Keep up the good work!

Skookie30 16 October, 2012 @ 4:23 pm   23

thanks i really didn’t expected you to answer the plan to manage muti countries with muti languages is a issue with the other 2 companies MS & ninty but MS manages to carter for All NA & EU at same time.

the plan to manage the SCEE region into blocks are not working we get less content because then SCEA that is the problem a universal store can the 3 regions work together NA wants our content we want NA content.

the Ps4 be out so you saying no change in the muti regions to stay.

@Shuhei Yoshida

call it weird but you avoiding the question all together
(If you want all regions managed by one perspective)
it already is everything at SCEE is only catered towards the U.K
that just means the bigger the country the higher you are on SCEE list and if your excluded go complain towards the publisher like SCEE always makes it up 2 be. but yet SCEE is the one that made up the metadata.

if we would just make it so all regions just follow U.K perspective we’d get everything, you guys still exclude so many countries.
regional operation is ruining it for most gamers. that’s why XBOX is still number 1 in online it supplies the same content on all region so it doesen’t discriminate unlike SCEE.

@Skookie30

just proves will be waiting a long time 2 get any content U.S got cause when Ps4 is released we still need content that was released on ps3 for U.S basicly saying ps4 will be a more inferior service’s than the new xbox for online basicly in online service’s and support cause when the 70 million hack happend SCEE diden’t bother looking for a protection plan for most countries only the 4 major countries got their support.

Nath_gamer 17 October, 2012 @ 2:12 am   26

Oh so you can go onto near without access to internet and it still collects info from players nearby and then when you get access to internet you go back onto near and it downloads the data or something, hope that made sense.

Shuhei Yoshida 18 October, 2012 @ 12:00 am

Yes, indeed. So you can collect all near goods from all those places you hit “near” button. Easy, right?

Marrsterhausen 19 October, 2012 @ 12:24 pm   27

@ Shuei Yoshida san

“Managing multiple small countries with multiple languages is much more inefficient than managing a large single country. You should be careful what you wish for. If you want all regions managed by one perspective, one view of the largest country, then you are not in for a good ride. Having strong regional representation with regional operation is a great thing to be able to cater to the needs of the market.”

With the greatest respect Yoshida san I have to disagree with yor thinking. How is it then that other rival companies can manage a global store with simultaneous product roll out (Microsoft & steam) regardless of region? Having divided regions just generates resentment when content is available elsewhere & not in the region you are governed by. Having multiple accounts is a workaround sure, but is not ideal when it would be easier to just have one account for all regions.
Perhaps looking at how your competitiors control their online services would help to benefit SONY in the next geneartion, food for thought…

Many thanks for coming on here Yoshida san to answer some questions :-)

micturator 19 October, 2012 @ 5:58 pm   28

@Shuhei Yoshida

Do you think the guys at Sony Computer Entertainment could try to encourage developers like Arc System Works to port some of their PSN games like Hard Corps Uprising to the vita?

micturator 19 October, 2012 @ 6:26 pm   29

@Shuhei Yoshida

For the ps4, could you guys have a feature that allows users to remap the face buttons, shoulder buttons, and triggers at a system level so you could have for example a should button action when you press the circle button.

micturator 19 October, 2012 @ 6:26 pm   30

@Shuhei Yoshida

For the ps4, microphones should be included with every system. The reason for that is a great way for Sony to get a lot more PS-plus subscribers with the introduction of a grouping feature for online play.

The grouping feature would work like this. Group administrators, that must be PS-plus subscribers, would purchase a certificate that would last for a set amount of time. This certificate would allow the administrator to add other users to his group. Only PS-plus subscribers can be added to a group. The administrator could charge nothing or a fee that he sets for each user. Whatever the administrator charges, Sony will get 10-20% of the fee. The whole point of the grouping feature is that it would allow users to restrict who they play online games with. They could limit the online game sessions that they join to people only in selected groups. Moreover, group administrators can set the rules and remove users from his group that violate the rules set by the administrator. The crucial part of implementing this idea is that everyone who gets a ps4 needs to have a headset. That is why a headset must be included with every ps4 sold.

micturator 19 October, 2012 @ 6:27 pm   31

@Shuhei Yoshida

Also, could the ps4 controller have a rotatable camera on it that can be rotated to be a front-facing or back-facing camera. The camera could be very useful for PSN cards that have a QR code on them to allow for quick input from the card to the ps4. Also it would be nice to have a microphone on the controller as well so you could have a feature such as in-game video chat.

Please have concave triggers on the ps4 controller.

Finally, a good feature to have on the ps4 would be system level screen recording so players could capture their favorite moments on video without the need for developers to do anything to help record gameplay.

micturator 19 October, 2012 @ 6:35 pm   32

@Shuhei Yoshida

One more thing, if it wouldn’t be too expensive, it would be nice if the ps4 controller had a slide out touch screen that could allow for keyboard input or act as a place for extra controls that a developer could add for their game. It doesn’t need to have a high resolution. I would say at least 320×180 resolution. But that’s only if it wouldn’t make the ps4 price too expensive.

RedPriestRezo 20 October, 2012 @ 3:43 am   33

@Shuhei Yoshida as a fellow owner of multiple accounts on ps3, surely you must understand how infuriating it is to be unable to use them on Vita? “Buy something with additional account than play it with the main one” always was a great solution for a big problem of multiple PSN’s. But for Vita it just doesn’t work.

This awesome device has enough problems as it is. So why would you decide make it even worse?

Voodoo341 20 October, 2012 @ 9:52 am   34

Sorry but the ‘be careful what you wish for’ comment is a joke. Clearly Mr Yoshida doesn’t understand what his cash paying customers are saying. The EU store can’t get much worse and to threaten that it could be worse is just stupid and indicates what a lot people fear. Sony are completely out of touch with their customers. I’ve recently cancelled over £400 worth or preorders for the PS3. My console of choice is now the 360. As a Playstation customer I’ve put up with enough poor service and idiotic decisions from SCEE and Sony. Every week it’s some disaster or complete balls up from Sony. Sorry to say it but Sony are finished.