Posted 22 October

PS3 System Software Update (v4.30): View PS Vita Trophies on your PS3

This Wednesday, 24th October, we will be releasing a new system software update for PlayStation 3 (version 4.30). With this update, you will be able to view the Trophies on your PlayStation 3 that you’ve earned playing PlayStation Vita games. Now you’ll be able to show off your Trophy grand total to all your friends.

By the beginning of November, 2012, we will terminate the services available through the Life with PlayStation application. In conjunction with the termination, we will stop offering the Life with PlayStation application to new users with the 4.30 update. This includes the conclusion of our participation with Stanford University’s Folding@home, a distributed computing project aimed at understanding protein folding, misfolding and studying the causes of a variety of diseases such as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and cancers.

trophy002online

We’d like to thank the more than 15 million users that have participated in the program since it started on PS3 in 2007. PS3 users have donated in total more than 100 million computation hours to the Folding@home project to date, and as a result, contributed greatly to Stanford University’s Alzheimer’s disease research. Considering the contribution PS3 has made to the project, we decided the termination as a result of discussions with Stanford University.

Vijay Pande, Folding@home research lead at Stanford University, had this to say about your contributions:
“The PS3 system was a game changer for Folding@home, as it opened the door for new methods and new processors, eventually also leading to the use of GPUs.

“We have had numerous successes in recent years. Specifically, in a paper just published in the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, we report on tests of predictions from earlier Folding@home simulations, and how these predictions have led to a new strategy to fight Alzheimer’s disease.

“The next steps, now underway at Stanford, are to take this lead compound and help push it towards a viable drug. It’s too early to report on our preliminary results there, but I’m very excited that the directions set out in this paper do appear to be bearing fruit in terms of a viable drug (not just a drug candidate).”

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

131 Comments 1 Author replies
Show oldest first

LoneHawk89 22 October, 2012 @ 5:21 am   1

Only Vita trophy support?

Gamesgbkiller 22 October, 2012 @ 5:22 am   2

That looks need !
I hope sometimes if I can see the total amount of trophies just by looking at ID .. so I don’t have to go into the ID and loading
I think that’s too much :]
Thanks.

acridweasel 22 October, 2012 @ 6:36 am   3

Nice to see a much-requested feature being implemented.
Will there be separate sections for PS3/PSVita trophies or will they all be in together?

Will this firmware update stop my Vita-owning friends from just “spinning” at the bottom of my Friends list ?

hitman_stephen 22 October, 2012 @ 7:49 am   5

And and and does this secretly fix the showing which vita players are online? As I can see all my ps3 people an vita people but ps3′ers can’t see us vitas -.- ninja

Coyote30000ru 22 October, 2012 @ 8:01 am   6

So can I see my friend’s Vita Trophies or only mine?

That folding@home stuff is really cool, I’m glad it all helped out

F-I-N-A-L-L-Y!!! I hope it also makes us see the Vita players when they’re online and what they’re currently playing.

nice
only wy ith was first not posibel en now ith is ?
ps3 pers. can see vita players if them online
= them are below in the list !!! + turning weel instead of advatar

i tink ith is stupid way howe it work now

needing =
chow u are on network ps3 simbol ore vita symbol ore both
next where u tropie level is
both = i use lots both
vita utube – tropies wen i play ps3
also option to change u board like on vita .

+ 3 i tink ( hope )
them wil lounch ps3 trophies en psn network trophies like on vita
u have vita trophies en network trophies
en jes also game them play on vita why not ?

if i see friends play somting on vita i join them more esely , if i have the game to .

Chocobo115 22 October, 2012 @ 8:45 am   11

Just wondering.
When will you add a search or filer function for the downloadables list?

manutreble 22 October, 2012 @ 8:55 am   12

Just hope this fix the friends list for ps3 so we see vita players online

mattledger 22 October, 2012 @ 8:59 am   13

The feature it needs to add is for PS3 users to be able to see when Vita users are online/what they’re playing … at the moment it seems to entirely remove you from their friends list when you’re online which is crazy!

somethingatt 22 October, 2012 @ 9:17 am   14

Have to agree with what @13 says. Seeing as VITA network stuff moved to PS3 (some of it at least) hopefully the friends issue is fixed as well.

I use the term fixed, because again as @13 said it’s crazy they are removed or sometimes put at the end of your friends list (with no icon and such) when they are on VITA.

C’mon Sony, you advertised “everything under one SEN roof” recently. Make it so.

somethingatt 22 October, 2012 @ 9:23 am   15

I say @13, looks like pretty much every comment mentioned it. Always read before commenting I guess heehee.

Well, at least you got the message (hopefully). And is someone from Sony can reply to that query with good or bad news regarding it, that’ll be great.

I would say we can just wait until the FW is out but we all know the FW will launch with a bug and will need another FW before it works ;)

Awesome. I just picked up a Vita 3 days ago, so this is a great addition for me :)

Skookie30 22 October, 2012 @ 9:45 am   17

ah yes sony give in 1 hand, take away with other hand, yes i do know that stantford wants to leave the Ps3 because the job is done.

no i’m talking about the remover of life with playstation, you can still use the Life with playstation without folding.

about vita trophy showing up on Ps3 i got a question, how it going to work if 2 different trophies system? example i nearly got the plat on MGS3 on MGS-HD but the vita version hasn’t got the trophies i unlock on Ps3 i have to unlock them again.

awkward_ghost 22 October, 2012 @ 9:45 am   18

So Sony are removing yet another feature from the PS3? I swear, the PS3 is the only system I’ve ever owned that’s gotten worse over time, in terms of features, instead of better.

Seriously, why remove the Folding@Home feature? I can’t imagine it took any work at all to maintain – I can’t say I’ve noticed any updates to it since launch – and it was something different that no-one else has. It was also an extremely rare thing that showed Sony in a good light.

As for me, I liked to run Folding whilst I was doing big downloads on my PS3. It used to make me feel better about all the electricity and broadband bandwidth I was using when leaving my PS3 on to do the downloads – at least something genuinely meaningful was being achieved by it whilst doing the Folding.

I will miss it. And this is yet another disappointing decision by an increasingly disappointing and unlikeable company.

Great addition!, but I agree with the above that it would be very nice for the ps3 users also to see when vita users is online and what they are playing, hope you added tat too, or in a future update! :)

That is cool ;) The more integration with the PSVita + PS3 the better the chance people will buy a PSVita i think. Now if only there was a way my PS3 could play my PS2 discs games with an update that would be brilliant(but i doubt that is possible. I wish the new PS3′s had PS2 playback back SONY, oh well) :(

Does this mean that the “Life With Playstation” app/link on the xmb will disappear when it eventually ends, as I dont really want a icon on my screen that I cant use.

what about fixing the message system?why need to delete twice the same message one for ps3 one for vita? we are in 2012 sony by the way,also why when i’m on ps3 and some friend is online on vita i see him on the bottom of my friend list with his avatar endless loading? what about fixing these?all of that issues should already been adressed since day 1.i don’t like to bitch but you said that about ”one sony” i don’t see that happening

I hope there are a few new music visualisations in this update as compensation for removing yet another feature I regularly used (the other being PS2 BC).

StarKillerFusion 22 October, 2012 @ 10:16 am   24

Any new on deleting trophies or the dlc for burn zombie dlc

DAVIE222-PSVita 22 October, 2012 @ 10:16 am   25

LET PS3 USERS SEE PS VITA USERS ONLINE !!!!!!!

CassyChan 22 October, 2012 @ 10:28 am   26

Sweet, PS3 could’ve done with this and the ability to see when Vita users are online back when Vita launched, but better late than never :D

Tsubaki_14 22 October, 2012 @ 10:31 am   27

now please let us be able to delete trophy info we don’t want! It takes a long time to load up the trophies when you get new ones as is, so leaving lists with 0% completion on games we’re no longer interested in playing is unnecessary space and time consumption, please make this happen :(

andrewsqual 22 October, 2012 @ 10:31 am   28

@ awkward_ghost
Sony Computer Entertainment is a “disappointing and unlikeable company”???
Lol Microsoft must be Hitler, the Devil and Jimmy Savile to you then.

Seriously? Somebody is complaining that Folding@Home is being removed?

How do you know it’s not being removed because the people behind it are moving on and doing something different?

It’s not a Sony run thing.

orzelek69_PL 22 October, 2012 @ 10:41 am   30

After 8 months we get vita trophy support on PS3 :D Sony you are really fast :p

About time the trophies of both systems are shown.
Surely this update will fix the fault of not being able to see what Vita games your friends are playing?
Or are we gonna have to wait another 6 months for that?
I would like a Vita FW update to improve the menus and functionality at some point.

I don’t see how seeing Vita online players could be implemented well. It seems that everytime I switch games on the Vita, the Vita has to sign-in in some form or another. I get a lot of pop-ups for other Vita users as I go from game to game…I presume they get a lot from me too. On ps3 you sign in and that’s it. It appears the Vita takes another approach, plus some of the games on the PSV are social and you only play for a min or two….Treasure Park…Ecolibrium…Montezuma Blitz, all require a sign in of some kind and are games you spend little time on. Do Ps3 users really need to see people pop up every 3 mins. It would bug the hell out of me. I turned off the notification icon on my ps3 for that reason…but the flip side of that is you miss new messages as they appear too. It would be great if PSV people could show up in my friends list and say what they are playing…but I think the
mechanic of the pop up ‘who’s online’ box needs addressing first.

I am sory for play station home,if u want tu play lara croft and guardian of ligth co op send me a PM.

Good to see unification of the trophy lists but we also need to see online Vita users on the PS3 friends list and syncing of messages. I am tired of my Vita telling me about new messages which I have already read on the PS3 and vice versa and would really appreciate if each device marked the message as read on the server so the next device is aware that I’ve already seen it. :)

I don’t get why you would quit folding at home, although I’m not someone that leaves the PS3 on for it. All stuff processed for the deceases like Alzheimer and cancer is extra work done right…

Anyways something else: what is pointed out above. The PSVita trophies that are shown is something that I’d expect at launch of PSVita already, so a bit of late fixing there.

What is worse, is that PSVita users don’t show up in the friendlist as pointed out above. When will this basic stuff that should have been there at launch be fixed?

The thing we really want to know is the details for PS Plus for Vita now :)

I’ve been folding daily for the last couple of years on my PS3, this is a real shame :/
It says that new users with 4.30 won’t be able to download Life, but those who already have it can keep folding? Or is this really getting scrapped for everyone like Other OS did?

SERGEANT-Q6R 22 October, 2012 @ 11:59 am   38

Nice

Awww, and I was just starting to get into using Life with PlayStation. I only just discovered the auto start option and I usually leave my PS3 unattended. It was a fantastic screensaver for me! Will there ever be any new screensavers for the PS3? I would love to see some!

Anyway, it’s nice to know that the Vita to PS3 integration is becoming one step closer.

BTW, is it just me, or does that XMB wave look a little different? Interesting…

I’m with awkward_ghost, it was a very positive thing to do. I till haven’t read why they stopped it. Any enlightment?
And why not ask another couse to help out?

Can we have a reason for the removal of Folding? If the PS3 was such a big game changer for Folding then it seems almost cruel that support is being removed.

Digidevil4 22 October, 2012 @ 12:16 pm   42

Wow so they found what they were looking for? will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere. As for vita trophies, I really don’t care but I’m sure others do. Still waiting on the next big UI update.

Ryusennin 22 October, 2012 @ 12:28 pm   43

FAH was a great and useful screensaver that got axed by Sony (not Stanford, since #27 dude was asking) for no other valid reason than “it was too good for the PS3″. Shame.

Leon, I don’t think you’ve really explained why Sony are no longer supporting F@H…?

In silico simulation of protein folding is constantly useful, therefore I don’t really see why the agreement has ended? It is as simple as the contract has expired and neither party wants to pay to extend it? Or is there a serious security flaw in F@H and so needs to be removed (but may return?).

As a scientist I’m a bit miffed that after you’ve allowed the PS community to do a lot of good without even realising it you’re now removing it by giving the reason “hey we found something!”, research doesn’t stop when that paper is submitted.

/scientist rant over. Sorry!

Woo for update, and glad they are getting rid of the other thing. Unfortunately all who used it will be contributing to the death of many animals now. Those scientists now have something new to torture animals with in labs and then probably have it fail and waste millions. I’m sure the animals appreciate being used for faux science. :)

my previous comment is not posted cause is ‘waiting moderation’ what is this?never mind,i was saying they need to fix the issue with the message system where you read them twice both for vita and ps3,and when we will be abble to see the status from vita-friends when we use the ps3.

Coody-Baroody 22 October, 2012 @ 1:58 pm   47

Ive said since day 1 that the PS3 needed this. Above all else its a great ‘advertisement’ for non Vita owners to see what us Vita owners are playing and what trophies we/they could also get if they bought a Vita.

PS3/Vita FULL integration is/was VITAL and it seems Sony has finally got wise.

supersmith2500 22 October, 2012 @ 1:58 pm   48

Excellent update, always wanted to see Vita trophies on the PS3 too.

CossieLover1369 22 October, 2012 @ 2:04 pm   49

This update should include Youtube App. Where is it for the UK Sony?

CoolRichy008UK 22 October, 2012 @ 2:39 pm   50

they are removing Folding@Home about dam time

Load all