Posted 23 October

Assassin’s Creed III: Expose Benedict Arnold Exclusively on PS3

Assassin's Creed III and Assassin's Creed III: Liberation: Cross Play Content

Benedict Arnold’s secret plot to betray West Point and sabotage the American Revolution earned him the ultimate mark of infamy: a name that will forevermore be synonymous with deceit and treachery. And on 31st October, the most reviled turncoat in American history will be virtually resurrected in Assassin’s Creed III to pay his dues once more — but only on PlayStation 3.

The PS3-exclusive four-mission arc begins with a special request from General Washington in exposing a rumoured plot to overthrow West Point, a critical link in the defence of the Colonies against Great Britain. Across four missions, Connor will flush out Loyalist spies and work undercover for Benedict Arnold, culminating in a full-blown assault on West Point that Connor must halt at all costs.

We reached out to Assassin’s Creed III scriptwriter Matt Turner to learn more about what’s in
store for PS3 players on 31st October.

What prompted you to choose Benedict Arnold as the focal point of these PS3-exclusive missions?
Matt Turner: Benedict Arnold is a name that transcended the Revolution and became a synonym for the word ‘traitor’. Given some of the themes in the main story thread, it flowed really well with some of the later beats…but I won’t be specific as they are spoilers! It was also a great opportunity for us to tell a story that people know but don’t really know, you know?

How accurate are the details regarding Benedict Arnold’s activities? Does it build on what we know about Arnold’s treason, or does it fall more in line with alternate history fiction a la The Tyranny of King Washington?
Matt Turner: It’s definitely not like King Washington. We have some scenes that have the actual words spoken by key players in the events at West Point, according to the records from the court proceedings following what happened. On the other side of things, we needed to inject it with some gameplay so there are some liberties in terms of the action. But who was there, what they did, and what happened to them is as precise as the history books would allow.

Our interpretation of Arnold actually weaves into the overall fiction and to divulge that would be to spoil a portion of the story. That being said, we don’t like having “bad guys” in Assassin’s Creed and this is no different in terms to Arnold and these missions. He has his reasons, and from a certain perspective they make complete sense.

Assassin's Creed III for PS3: Exclusive Benedict Arnold Missions only on PlayStation

What kinds of activities and missions will players embark on during the Benedict Arnold missions?
Matt Turner: The player will be fighting a variety of characters from both sides of the conflict. Activities range from the mundane to the epic…but I don’t want to give too much away, as it’s part of the experience!

What’s your favorite detail about the Benedict Arnold mission arc in the game?
Matt Turner: I actually think the exchange between some Patriots and one of the traitors that we were able to reproduce word-for-word is my favorite part.

Assassin's Creed III: Benedict Arnold Trailer

On a final note, what might have happened if General Washington hadn’t learned of Benedict Arnold’s treason and put an end to it?
Matt Turner: A simple fact is that the Hudson River was the single most strategic body of water during the American Revolution. It essentially split the colonies in two, so whoever controlled the river controlled the supply lines. And West Point was by far the most heavily fortified area during the war for this very reason.

Where the fort was built, the river narrowed and made a small ‘S’, allowing enough room for only one tall ship to pass through at a time. The Patriots built a massive chain on rafts floating across the water stopping any ship from making its way up because they were so outmatched in terms of the navy. It was the only way they could hope to hold it – and it worked.

A large portion of Revolutionary historians contend that if West Point had been captured by the British, and the chain destroyed, the Patriots would have lost the war.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

27 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

nice !! tanks
can not wait to get mi hands on both games ps3/vita
only ting i not understend = if u buy more expensife verion
why u not get tings from lower €€€ version ?????
like join ore die edition = why no musket from lower version ????

Stonesthrow 23 October, 2012 @ 3:15 pm   2

Can’t wait for this and Liberation, I always have great fun with this series.

nice !! tanks
can not wait to get mi hands on both games ps3/vita
only ting i not understend = if u buy more expensife verion
why u not get tings from lower €€€ version ?????
like join ore die edition = why no musket from lower version ????

u have problem ? no advatar showing + teks i put nr 1 not showing wen i go out ( no tekst need aproval of moderator )

ElectroPuff 23 October, 2012 @ 3:26 pm   4

Soooooooo this is available on the 31st? :)

The only practice I think is worse than paid-for on-disc DLC is platform-exclusive content like this. Whenever I read stuff like this it makes me dislike the game, the publishers and the owners of the console it’s exclusive to. Especially for content developed before the game itself is released.

I wasn’t planning to get the PS3 version of this. This won’t change my mind, and I highly doubt it will change anyone’s mind. It just seems like a complete waste of money for Sony and a waste of time for Ubisoft.

Cube1701 = total agry whith u

reason why i not buy cod blop 2
but other site i say S.c.R.E.W microsoft them do a lot of iriritating to us ps3 comunity

Yes, Microsoft are also pretty bad at it.

Benedict Arnold… He was one of the goodies right?

I so can’t wait for both AC3 and Liberation. Am getting Liberation next week and AC3 for Christmas (I always get the latest AC game for Christmas for PS3).

andrewsqual 23 October, 2012 @ 4:40 pm   10

@Cube1701 But unlike a Microsoft Exclusive content (EVERY SINGLE ONE TO DAT EVER), we the end users/customers do not pay a penny. What is the problem? This is the 3rd time they did this for us PS3 owners now.
Paid for GTA4 addons did not make me buy a 360. I would have preferred a new game 2 years later for crying out loud then the time wasted on those crap DLCs.
You should get it on the 360 then complete with boxart of disgusting lime green at the top of the box.

i’m sure the name Benedict Arnold doesn’t carry the same weight outside the US
much like many Americans wouldn’t be that familiar with Guy Fawkes.

what i do find interesting though is, that first pic, does this mean Aveline and Conner meet up?

because the potential there for seeing both of them after the same target is very interesting.
seeing Conner’s approach on the home consoles and Aveline’s on Vita.

on that note, you still haven’t revealed who’s going to be in the animus in Liberation.

I had to google Benedict Arnold. We don’t get taught about the American Revolution at school, for some reason. :|

I see that he escaped.. I wonder if he’ll escape in the game… :p

5# I have both a PS3 and a Xbox360. Which version do you think I will buy? Ofcourse the PS3 version not that it have some exklusive stuff. It’s the same thing MS does with COD. Which is why that sells better on 360.

CoolRichy008UK 23 October, 2012 @ 5:55 pm   14

good boy kivi95 :D

as for me im buying this from the ps store in 2 weeks time for £50

dark_angel69 23 October, 2012 @ 8:14 pm   15

Pre-ordered mine months ago. Going to save this for Christmas. :D Dying to play it now.

Any news on what the future DLC prices are separately without the season pass?

chrisandsheva 23 October, 2012 @ 8:34 pm   16

That time of the year, again, let me explain, i have bought every (Ezio) AC game day1, play for a bit, then put it away,Then (up to now) i playthrough the whole game, just before the new ones released, now i have told myself the reason i do this is that i looked upon the AC trilogy as a fine wine, to be saved and savioured and so on, which i truly believe to have been the case (so to speak, lol) till now, But my dilema is that i just have zero interest in AC3, i believe the writers have taken this (fantastic) story in the Wrong direction, and location, obviously, like Many others i am also not very happy with the whole ‘Brit bashin’ scene this game involves, and the ‘fact’ connor is half Brit, well, how many people Hate their Fathers ?, so even that mighn’t be what the writers are pretaining it to be/mean. Have fun IF you are getting it, the graphics Do look awesome, anyway, at least i have Revelations to ‘saviour’,

chrisandsheva 23 October, 2012 @ 8:44 pm   17

lol. just to add, off topic, i watched a good movie other night, it was about how a US navy submarine ‘captured’ a enigma code machine, intact from a u-boat, man you Just have to love Hollywood, If you don’t know what that’s all about then i’m sorry but it would just take too long to explain, But a quick sum up, according to Hollywood, the US won ‘everything’ all by themselves, and the other allies were just kinda along for the ride, i wonder if anyone is still living from Bletchley park. as i would love to hear their ‘views’ on that, and other similar matters.

CoolRichy008UK 23 October, 2012 @ 9:30 pm   18

i bet schools will use this game as a history project lol and i heard ubisoft are bringing out a themed dairy called

Assasins cheeze LMAO

legionari 23 October, 2012 @ 11:47 pm   19

Will this be Free like the Copernicus Conspiracy for AC Brotherhood?

This is getting confusing. Is the benedict arnold dlc on every single version of AC3? I am asking because I have found a “Bonus Edition” with this exclusive DLC. But if it comes with every single version like special edition, join or die edition, freedom edition and so on, then there is no bonus about the “bonus edition” since the only bonus in “bonus edition” is the benedict arnold missions.

Bumblebee 24 October, 2012 @ 1:57 am   21

I am SO up for this game.

For those who have not yet pre-ordered, HMV are doing a gorgeous steelbook edition.

Personally, I went for the edition with the statue from Gamestop.

Once again though, the PSN price is totally ridiculous.

This won’t affect me though as I’d never pay such a foolish price for a digital game when I can gave a nice, physical copy to stroke and cherish. MMMMMMMMM.

CAN’T. WAIT.

Im simply not getting this game because im enjoying GT5, BF3 and FIFA 13 to much. Also hitman is coming out in the 20th of November so AC will just be collecting dust.

Launch trailer was amazing.

I can’t believe I have to wait at least a couple of months before being able to play it.

The news this will be the last game featuring Desmond was shocking. I’m still waiting his game set in modern days.

What really annoyes me is that they spend all this time making the game authentic, yet make the blue coats sound American… they would have sound British as thats what they were before they decided to be free.

Stonesthrow 24 October, 2012 @ 3:42 pm   25

@16 I don’t get all this frowning from Brits for being the ‘bad guy’ in this game, back in those days they were the oppressors.. If anything, you should frown at that part of your history, not at this game for utilizing it..

I miss that cool CGI trailer that every other prequel got though, I can understand they want to show off the game’s new engine with gameplayfootage, but those badass CGI trailers are always imprinted in my memories.

JediKnight246 24 October, 2012 @ 9:35 pm   26

Yay! :)
Looking forward to this, I have it pre-ordered. Just a few more days…
I probably won’t watch any more trailers if new ones are released, there are a lot of them and I want to avoid any possible spoilers before i’ve played it.

bobbyrai1978_6 25 October, 2012 @ 9:29 am   27