Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 3:00pm

Behind the scenes with Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse

FamilyGuy_Multiplayer_ForSonyBlog2

Making a licensed game is hard.  Making a good licensed game is hard.

As huge Family Guy fans, when the opportunity came to make a game based on the hilarious TV show, with Heavy Iron Studios at the helm, it was impossible to pass up. But there was one giant hurdle we had to get over in order to make a good Family Guy game – we don’t work at Fuzzy Door, Seth MacFarlane’s production company, and we aren’t involved in any way with the Family Guy TV show.

And it wouldn’t matter how much effort we put into the graphics, or the level design, or the action. If it didn’t feel like Family Guy – if it wasn’t funny, or if Stewie shouted “Blast!” and it was clear we’d just hired some actor to do a mediocre Stewie impression – fans would hate it. WE would hate it.

We knew that if we were going to do this, we had to do it right. Everything from the script to the presentation to the way it will make you feel playing on your couch at home had to feel like Seth MacFarlane took a coding class and made it himself. If we wanted to create a genuine Family Guy experience, we needed to be faithful to the show’s spirit, and we needed the people who make Family Guy to be involved from the ground up.

So that’s what we did.

Building the story that would become Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse was a tremendous challenge. The show has done so much already – where do you even start trying to translate that into a game?

Then the writers started talking about the Season 8 premiere episode, “Road to the Multiverse,” in which Brian and Stewie get lost travelling to parallel universes. It was perfect. Of course, in one episode they could only do so much; but the possibilities were endless, and we could explore them even further. Our imaginations just started running wild.

FamilyGuy_Multiplayer_ForSonyBlog1

The game is littered with countless references, in-jokes, and tributes to the show’s great moments. We knew we were on the right track when Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm-Flailing Tube Man became an in-game item.

We’ve had an incredible amount of access to the Family Guy production crew throughout the entire development process, and that collaboration has made all the difference in giving the game its authentic feel. The writers, Mike Desilets and Anthony Blasucci, have penned a hilarious script for us. More than just creating dialogue, they’ve been instrumental in helping us shape the game around the story. And having Seth MacFarlane and the Family Guy show talent  in the recording booth to bring those characters to life brought it all together. This is unmistakably Family Guy, from top to bottom.

Family Guy has always been such a communal experience. After all, it was fans buying the original DVD sets and sharing them with friends and family in their living rooms and dorms that helped put the show back on the air. For that reason, offering a local co-operative play option in Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse, where you can drop in or out at any time, was a big deal for us. Local co-op has sort of fallen to the wayside nowadays, but both comedy and games are more fun when other people are around – we wanted this to be an experience you can share.

And when you get down to it, Brian and Stewie are the ultimate co-op team. Their adventures make up some of my all-time favourite Family Guy episodes, and their relationship is arguably the strongest on the show (actually, Mayor West and taffy might have the strongest relationship on the show….but Brian and Stewie are definitely second!). So being able to give players the chance to finally team up as this great duo is a nice bit of wish fulfilment for us.

We’re very proud of the game we’ve put together – not just as its creators, but as gamers and fans of the show. We’ve put so much energy into crafting an experience that looks and feels like Family Guy. The result is something both fun and funny. We hope you join us when Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse hits the PlayStation 3 on 23rd November.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

32 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

You could do a Simpsons game!

smallgaffer 26 October, 2012 @ 3:04 pm   2

Needs more Greased up deaf guy!

Is it the same game that came to 360 a year ago? If so how much did they pay you?

dRg0Nz0-uk 26 October, 2012 @ 3:09 pm   4

Sounds cool, looking forward to seeing more :-)

I’m looking forward to this…really good to hear co-op is involved too.

…how have you tackled the character Herbert? Is he in this and is he as wrong and inappropriate as he is in the show? I wish I could hit him with something (a bat) in this game lol

“Then the writers started talking…”

Manatees can talk?

supersmith2500 26 October, 2012 @ 3:15 pm   7

Hmm, loved Family Guy a bit. But I think it’s not going to come out well with Activision involved. =S

007 Legends already bombed and Family Guy on PS3 will be next. -__-

You know, if characters were yellow, it’d look as if Simpsons: Hit & Run got a minor HD facelift.

Catkiller1 26 October, 2012 @ 3:54 pm   9

Reminds me of Simpsons Hit and Run in a strange way!

£30 or less & I may consider it ;)

Catkiller1 26 October, 2012 @ 3:54 pm   10

@ GrViper

LOL, great minds think alike ;)

Solid_Snake1987 26 October, 2012 @ 3:57 pm   11

“Making a licensed game is hard. Making a good licensed game is hard.”

Giggity.

I’ve seen quite a few comments elsewhere from people concerned about the lack of information surrounding this game… no previews of playable code etc.

Will you be releasing a demo ?

What kind of game is it?
I see the characters with guns’s so It could be a shooter but that would be out of character for most of them at least.
Some gameplay video would help.

Lord_Gremlin 26 October, 2012 @ 5:30 pm   14

Oh my. Mr. Owen, please tell us we’re getting Peter vs Chicken square-off in this one! Just confirm this and it’s a day 1 purchase for me!

Skykid360 26 October, 2012 @ 5:33 pm   15

Lol…YES!!!

Make Peter Vs. Chicken happen, it needs to be Long…really Long and stupid!

Yay, love family guy. Great to hear another game is coming out.

ryannumber3gamer 26 October, 2012 @ 6:39 pm   17

I’m really excited for this game. I loved the first Family Guy game and with online and it being based on one of my favorite episodes, I think this will be great!

When this game drops to £25 and if it gets decent reviews I will defo pick it up!

CoolRichy008UK 26 October, 2012 @ 8:09 pm   19

this better be added to ps store DAY ONE and it better not be £60 like the 007 game

CoolRichy008UK 26 October, 2012 @ 8:25 pm   20

supersmith2500 thanx for the info about the new james bond game being cack i think im gonna avoid all their games if they keep not making them properly and to think i nearly bought the 007 game i rather jump of a cliff then buy a game that int good

StolenDiagram 26 October, 2012 @ 9:05 pm   21

As much as I’m a fan of Family Guy and Seth’s other shows, I’m not sure another video game is needed, especially one that looks just like the last on the ORIGINAL Xbox and PS2 consoles.

I’m sorry, but this needs to be a PSN/XBLA title – if you can’t get the graphics right which based on screenshots you can’t, then everything else needs to be perfect to compensate. Do you have a perfect game in every other aspect? That needs to be the question to ask before this even sees retail shelves never mind the inside of a fan’s console.

Well, knowing Avtivision are involved, that makes this game a Pre-Owned purchase for me, I will NOT give them any more of my hard earned money after the disappointment that was Prototype 2!

Pla4stationgamer 26 October, 2012 @ 9:56 pm   23

finally at least some news on this game I am a fan of family guy but it was worrying that no news or gameplay had been shown.

supersmith2500 27 October, 2012 @ 10:50 am   24

Oh wait, Activision also published Angry Birds Trilogy so let’s hope they do not overprice this or make it suck just like that 007 game.

dogwalker4000 27 October, 2012 @ 11:22 am   25

It’s nice to see you guys have a lot of passion but there’s still very little info about what sort of game this is. I know there’s guns, co-op and a deathmatch mode but other than that info is worryingly hard to come by.

Saying that, I’ll pick this up at some point. Love Family Guy and being able to run around Quahog should be fun. Hope this at least had a good amount of Family Guy references, will make up for the poor gameplay (if it does have the poor gameplay I’m expecting.)

xDUTCHxKILLSxUAV 27 October, 2012 @ 7:12 pm   26

Nice, maybe im gonna buy it when released

supersmith2500 27 October, 2012 @ 7:16 pm   27

@CoolRich008UK:
Glad I made ya saved money. I heard Activision also published Angry Birds Trilogy as well so I don’t think they’ll overpriced that. Or maybe??

Luv family guy so gud

Adie_Stone 27 October, 2012 @ 11:25 pm   29

I like Family Guy but I have doubts that thid is going to be tripe. Yes tripe.

GTaylorLFC316 29 October, 2012 @ 12:25 am   30

Giggity giggity goo!!!!

great

dtyhgghggggggfdd 29 October, 2012 @ 9:23 pm   32

cant wait for this game i love family guy.