Posted 5:00pm

Weekend Debate: The greatest multiplayer game of all time

Hey there everyone. Once again, apologies for the lack of a Weekend Debate last week. However, we’re firmly back on track today!

A quick and easy topic this week to get you back into the swing of things. Two titles have dominated lunch-hour gaming here at SCEE HQ this week. Firstly, United Front Games‘ rather wonderful LittleBigPlanet Karting has been turning the air blue courtesy of its furiously competitive multiplayer, and provides the inspiration for today’s talking point.

What’s your favourite multiplayer game of all time, and why?

The other game that’s picked up a band of loyal followers here is lunatic PSN action title When Vikings Attack!, which launched on Wednesday. It’s a thoroughly refreshing blast of light-hearted, madcap multiplayer fun, and the 10 most thoughtful posts snag themselves a download code.

Take a look at the trailer below, or head over to our recent Blog post for more info.

While we’re on the topic, we’re hoping to set up a Blog staff vs. Blog readers WVA multiplayer session sometime next week. Yes, you’ll finally get to throw a punch or two at us! We’ll confirm details very soon…

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

215 Comments 19 Author replies
Show oldest first

xenokiller90 9 November, 2012 @ 5:06 pm   1

no vita ps+ news then :(

Call of duty revolutionized online multi player in fact some could argue it monopolized it. I think that game has to have the most hardcote dedicated multiplayer fan base out there. As much as people bash cod it delivers the goods for its fans year in year out.

When Vikings attack is great just wish online players stopped attacking each other and went for the Vikings instead

Dr-abdulelah 9 November, 2012 @ 5:10 pm   4

my favourite multiplayer game of all time is fifa
because its endless game , you can challenge everyone in the world any time

::::

i know i will not win one code for When Vikings Attack!, but i hope

I think it must be Killzone 2. I like KZ2′s MP because its so unique and have very structured maps. I like how you can set your own rules on your server and customzation. Because of this, i keep returning to KZ2 to play its fun MP.

bidbaldwolf86 9 November, 2012 @ 5:10 pm   6

My favourite multiplayer game was Goldeneye.

Me and my friends would go to each others houses after school and just have such a good time playing it for hours. We even had our own game mode where it was one hit kills and someone was Oddjob. The person who was Oddjob couldn’t shoot people and had to chop them to kill them. The other 3 had to kill Oddjob.

Split screen multiplayer was great.

Fred Dutton 9 November, 2012 @ 5:16 pm

Oddjob was cheap as chips! We always banned each other from choosing him! Good times though…

Fred Dutton 12 November, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

Right, time to announce this week’s winners. First WVA code here for impeccable taste in vintage shooters!

szyszunia14 9 November, 2012 @ 5:12 pm   7

I’ll be quite controversial, but my favourite multiplayer was the one in Ratchet Gladiator on PS2 ( I mean the online competitive). It covered most of my free time about 6 years ago. Can’t wait for the RG HD edition (do you know the release date?). If you will be playing Ratchet Gladiator online on PS3 feel free to add me on PSN, even today.

What do you think of that multiplayer ?

A_Nonny_Moose 9 November, 2012 @ 5:12 pm   8

They said in the Store Update comments that the Vita Plus announcement was pushed back to next week.

On topic I’d have to say Rock Band. It’s the only multiplayer game I’ve found that’s not only easy enough for everyone to play, but everyone actually wants to play it. There are a lot of other great games, but not everyone likes racing or fighting or Portal 2. Everyone loves music though, and the Rock Band library is huge so there’s guaranteed to be songs everyone will enjoy.

Easy one. Timesplitters 2. Has tons of funny and creative characters, lots of different game modes(virus mode i will never forget you) it didnt have automatic healing which made it alot better and the maps were so good. I really hope we will se an hd collection on psn or timesplitters 4

chrisboers 9 November, 2012 @ 5:13 pm   10

As a non-multiplayerfan, my vote goes to Demon’s souls as a co-op multiplayer. The way the red messages can either help or lure you to danger, the shadowy ghosts of less fortunate gamers, it all adds to the experience of the game.
As for true competative multiplayer, nothing beats Bomberman Ultra! It manically fun, chaotic, but at the same time, having skill will greatly add to your chances to win!

Oh, about the prize, I already have Vikings (excellent game!), so I’ll pass on that one…

For me, it just has to be Bomberman, with many happy memories of the SNES game and 4 of us all trying to blow each other up.

I was over the moon when Bomberman Ultra came out on PSN. It was the first time that I felt online multiplayer could replicate 4 people sitting around a TV, but it also provided that same perfect offline multiplayer too. I still battle my kids on it and it’s never left my PS3′s hard drive.

It reminds me that even though online multiplayer is fun, especially on a good FPS game, there’s really nothing to beat the good old fashioned huddle around a TV with 4 controllers and everyone laughing their socks off at the antics on-screen.

AaronSOLDIER 9 November, 2012 @ 5:15 pm   12

Easy one – Worms. Such a simple idea yet so addictive, and I’m still enjoying the series today. Long live Team 17!

Solid_Snake1987 9 November, 2012 @ 5:16 pm   13

My favourite multiplayer game is TimeSplitters 2 (or Future Perfect) without a shadow of a doubt. It’s the ultimate multiplayer FPS with so many crazy characters, but also a ridiculous number of modes and a map editor! So not only could you battle across a ton of top quality maps as a bunch of brick-throwing monkeys you could make your own maps, with your own rules and tailor the game to your needs. It was incredible to think something usually exclusive to the PC was possible on the PS2.

My favourite mode has to be Virus. It was sort of like a zombie mode, but one person or AI starts with the “Virus” and has to infect everyone else by touching them. Everyone else has to survive as long as they can, maybe by teaming up, maybe by sacrificing others. The greatest strength of the mode was that when you became infected you had to start to infect others, so revenge was often on the cards. I can still remember playing split-screen with my brothers and our great stand against the hordes. Shotguns in hands and screaming instructions. And the fight that broke out afterwards…

Fred Dutton 12 November, 2012 @ 3:19 pm

Pleasantly surprised to see so many of you go for Timesplitters 2 – a very fine game indeed. WVA code right here.

My favourite multiplayer game is Killzone 2. It was (and still is) so dam chaotic!! there are still ALOT of people playing it and the maps were perfect, the reason its so good is because it changes game type every 5-30 mins wich stoped it getting repedative. also spawn granades made it so 2 teams can respawn all in one small room and when that happend…everytime you would spawn you die. Annoying yes but fun! also i remember in radec acadamy the enemy team (ISA) planted a spawn granade in our homebase and boy was it epic! basicly to put it in short: Killzone 2 still has a huge fanbase, its verry chaotic and never gets old. oh and its adictive! 32 players in one match.

SpitelordDekka 9 November, 2012 @ 5:17 pm   15

My favourite multiplayer game is called Judgement. It’s not a PS3 game, but it does involve the PS3.

See what happens is I turn it on and my friends immediately see that Singstar icon; the game is to convince them that I am not a sadsack that sings crappy pop songs into a black cloud of 1s and 0s before I lose all my friends. So far I am the champion at this game but it’s getting increasingly difficult to maintain my record.

Because of the is a great variety on PS3, Multiplayer is always unique to a game and is something that I look forward to playing particularly if a friend of mine is to be involved. In saying this I love playing LittleBigPlanet and LittleBigPlanet 2 with friends. What I love so much about it is not only the abilities to make your own levels together or playing through the story once then twice to collect all of the rewards but the fact that it is always fun. There are many great creators out there, the community is great and this makes multiplayer all the more compelling.

CoolRichy008UK 9 November, 2012 @ 5:21 pm   17

my fav multiplayer game is assasins creed 3 because the 1st game i played i came 6th and il deffo play the online game more cuz its awsome oh and also the pivit hunt game is great i unlocked all in game cheats that il use when i finished everything woopwoop

Well it have to be Hogs of War which brings back te best memories. A good version of Worms 3D with crazy piggies, very good and funny narrated by comedian Rik Mayall and it was lots of fun with my brother and friends. Shooting those hogs in the snout with bazooka’s and stuff and winning was worth bragging about.

“Au Revoir, that’s French for goodbye you idiot!” (Well yout must have played the game to find that funny)

My PS1 copy doesn’t work anymore, so still waiting for the PSN version, so I can relive the good times. :(

An obscure shout here for Cel Damage! Its easy to automatically think online when multiplayer is mentioned these days but old school split screen should never be forgotten.
Me and my cousin once picked this game up for a few quid (despite the shop assistant’s advice not to bother) and found ourselves still playing when the sun came back up!
With quotes like “I’m the beef that bites back” from the large bull character and a brilliantly camp “rooaaarrr” from the dino, what more do you want? ;-)

PIREDERAS 9 November, 2012 @ 5:23 pm   20

Multiplayer games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, or any FPS, are not a favorite of mine. I think they are too “faceless”, more “distanced” experiences. You “kill” an unknown guy, who resides God knows where, and that’s it. The show must go on, and so it does, until time’s up.

I prefer playing a FIFA match with my close friends (in the rare occasions when they have some leisure time due to work), all in the same room together (and some pizzas, too!). I totally enjoy epic, 2 vs 2 matches, where teamwork (or something like that) prevails over frantic moves and solo, Maradona-like, runs with the ball through the pitch. All of the laughter, all of the friendly swearing, all of the fun generated during this time cannot be equaled. FIFA is always a good excuse to reunite us, the busy guys!

Fred Dutton 12 November, 2012 @ 3:22 pm

Can’t argue with FIFA. Well, actually, you can. I was always a PES/ISS guy! Still, enjoy your WVA code.

Best multiplayer has to be Mario I know it’s not a Sony game but damn did Nintendo strike a gold mine with the franchise it’s been out on snes gameboy n64 gamecube Wii ds 3ds and is going to be on the Wii U and you have Luigi seperatly games and wario and yoshi all with multiplayer as well as Mario party which I don’t care who you are is one of the best multiplayer games ever. and who hasn’t played Mario and sonic Olympics games and all on the back of the little red plumber is truly amazing and to me defines the meaning of multiplayer its not get the best kills or the best score its about the fun and the laughs no one plays LBP and moans about score its the fun you have that makes a game a truly epic multiplayer experience

My favourite multiplayer of all time is Unreal Tournament! It was my real first experience of a great Multiplayer back in the days when i played games on a PC. It was real Fun and total revolutionary at that time. But my real pleasure in games is mostly single player story driven games (hail to dishonered). Developers are slowly killing single player experiences because of the multiplayer, i think…Maybe im getting old to compete with ultra fast kids fingers nowadays.

Stonesthrow 9 November, 2012 @ 5:26 pm   23

Oh lots of choice there :p Goldeneye as mentioned above, best splitscreen experience of my life. Littlebigplanet when it comes to replay value. Motorstorm Apocalypse would have to be my favorite multiplayer in the genre of racing. I could go on but I believe the most consistent one, a series and team I’ve had respect for from the start, and still do, would have to be Dice’s Battlefield series. 2142 absolutely stunned me back then, and BF3 still does now. Not sure why, probably the attention to detail and the realistic atmosphere. (Killzone did the same for me on consoles but I’ll go with BF since it’s been around longer.)

Poy Poy.

It’s a virtually unknown game on the PS1, which places four players in a small room (Small enough that there’s no need for split screen) with a bunch of objects such as boulders, logs and rockets, with the objective being to throw them at each other unti you’re the last one standing.

Despite being very basic the game was a tonne of fun. There where lots of different elements that spiced up the gameplay, such as different gloves you could equip your character with, that would add different effects to the objects you throw (such as making them home in on your opponents, or poisining the ones they hit). There where also power ups that would spawn in that you could collect to give you different abilities. There where some enviromental hazards as well such as lasers and one level had a dinosaur like creature stomping around that you had to avoid.

However the game still remained simple enough to be a great pick up and play party game. Unfortunatly I lent my copy out years ago and never got it back. I often boot up the Playstation Store hoping that it’s suddenly been added to the PS1 classics :(.

It isn’t a online game, but it defintely is one of the games I have spend most time playing through my childhood. And the game is Crash Team Racing.

Tinesplitters is a classic. Well made levels, amazing varied weapons, 4 player splitscreen and even some network multiplayer. Fun gameplay that relied on skill (there was no aim assist, aiming down the sights or even article) add the many modes the creative and humorous challenges for cooperative and competitive play, and memorable characters. It’s one game I’d love to see get a rerelease. 4 player split screen and bots tend to be overlooked now, and even when CoD included it the modes and maps are designed for big online matches. How we used 1/4 of a 16 inch SD screen I’ll never know.

eyez-iz-chon 9 November, 2012 @ 5:32 pm   27

My choice would definitely be Timesplitters 2! the amount of fun i had was incredible! there was no such thing as regenerating health back then, if you wanted to survive, either outshoot someone, or find health packs or armour to keep you going. there were some cool things to pick up on the maps, such as invisibility for a few seconds, or one that made you incredibly tiny but also super fast! literally NO ONE sat in one spot waiting for enemies in that game, it was all about face to face shootout which was incredibly fun. even when you died you would smile thinking ‘dammit, he got me’, but you’d be eager to get back in. everyone was equal, there were no overpowered aspects, and back then, people ACTUALLY played the objective in objective games, instead of just trying to get kills! all this talk has got me thinking of it again, i might just find my PS2, wipe off the dust and start playing again!

Natscookie 9 November, 2012 @ 5:34 pm   28

Easy one for me, MineCraft. I used to play it often with my significant other and a friend. I’ve wasted countless hours building the craziest things with them (to the point I actually proposed via a giant pixel art ring), exploring randomized worlds, playing around with mobs or getting ourselves killed. The sheer amount of fun I had with it is absolutely priceless.

vonhammer 9 November, 2012 @ 5:37 pm   29

I couldn’t even begin picking one.Do I say Mario Kart over Goldeneye,SF2,GT5,PES and god knows how many other games I’ve enjoyed.

So I’ll put forward one i’m interested in.It’s by SOE,and I believe it’ll be a free to play launch title on Sony’s next hardware.Planet Side 2.

I’m not interested in gaming on PC anymore,but it’s the sort of game I would be playing if I still was.

XnoobsquadX 9 November, 2012 @ 5:39 pm   30

My best multiplayer experience lies with warcraft 3 u had lots of options to go with aside from the official ladder games. Custom maps/gameplay/skins etc. Still play it from time to time and although u cant find as many games as say 3 years ago its still well played enough to find a game that suits my tastes.

Gta IV free mode. Simply because it was my first proper experience of online multiplayer. I’ll never forget my first 10mins of gameplay. 4 guys in a banshee sped around the corner and tried a drive-by on me. I sprinted for cover and they cornered me, I was actually buzzing with excitement and a bit of dread at being killed within minutes of my first ever game. Then all of a sudden another online player pulls up in a pickup truck, drops a grenade and wipes out their car, then pulls up beside me, beeps the horn and I jump in and we escape. It was genius. Great moment. The guy that saved my bacon was my first addition to the friends list and he’s still there. I think we’ll team up on gta5 just to bf sure.

As for competitive mp…. Battlefield Bad Company 2 was the game that I enjoyed the most. Fifa offline can’t be beaten. Also (even though I dislike wrestling) WWF Attitude was great fun when I was a kid.

Best multiplayer game? It’s gotta be Star Wars battlefront! That game was brilliant, you got to be a stormtrooper, which was pretty much all my friends did. And there were the great vehicles, space combat in the second. It was just too much fun being a standard Star Wars guy. Me and my mates lost so many hours on that, and just writing this makes me wish for a 3rd. Gotta be the best multiplayer game.

I have to say that my favourite multiplayer game of all time is homefront. Why? Because it takes out all of he complexities of other shooters and makes life simple again – no spending money buy guns after you reach a level, its just reached a level and get gun. Its also my favourite multiplayer games as it has good but simple maps to play on that contain the atmosphere of the single player game but expand on it. An example of this is the propaganda posters all around he maps and just the overall level of detail. If only the servers were more stable…
After homefront I’d have to say that my favourite multiplayer game is battlefield 3 as the maps change – hey get blown up, telephone poles fall down, a gunships shoots from the sky – that for me makes balltlefield the next best multiplayer game. Then there is borderlands but we all now why that is good. It might have something to do with the 87 BAZILLION GUNS.

my favorite multiplayer game is assassins creed: brotherhood. i absolutely love it. its completely different to anything else i have seen in multiplayer modes. for that reason, youll need a while to get into it.

you have to watch your surroundings closely and identify the players who want to kill you from the crowd. you need to look out for small details like the way they turn around corners or walk past you. and of course you yourself have to blend in and avoid being seen. you dont get points for many kills, you get points for good, stealthly kills. the best case is that nobody even notices you killing somebody, when utilizing poison. this beautifully embodies the “assassin”-spirit of the series.

its just not as brute-force shooting around like other games. its very careful, very very tactic, it truly is a battle of skill. and its different. i really enjoyed my time in AC:B multiplayer. i am looking forward to playing the AC:Revolutions multiplayer (yea i know, im some years behind the trend, i just cant keep up :))

Fred Dutton 12 November, 2012 @ 3:22 pm

Agreed, Ubi really mixed things up nicely for Brotherhood. WVA code is yours to enjoy.

AntGreenfield 9 November, 2012 @ 5:43 pm   35

Can only be the mighty Gran Turismo 2 for me. Can remember the day I bought it, got home from work & settled down to a few split screen games with my 2 housemates and ending up spending the entire night endulging in race after race til one of us had to go to work the following morning :) Many a night thereafter was spent with one race after the next until the early hours of the morning! Nothing yet has beaten the sheer fun of extremely tight finishes to races at 3 in the morning!!

runarwigen 9 November, 2012 @ 5:45 pm   36

Worms 2 or Sensible Soccer. Multiplayer games are the most fun when you play in front of the same screen and are able to see their reaction when you beat them. (Or the other way round)

‘TimeSplitters 2′!!! :P :P :P And it still is the BEST;) Nothing beats the 4 player split-screen with 3 mates & Bots(WOW, for some reason Bots can’t be don’t this Gen in FPS games, maybe next Gen game consoles will have enough power to do so…JOKE…) :D + I wish the TimeSplitters games would come out as a HD update with Trophies for the PS3(then i can finally put my PS2 away, oh well) :(

dark_angel69 9 November, 2012 @ 5:50 pm   38

Call of Duty Black Ops (for now until Black Ops 2). Because there is nothing better than killing those zombies with 3 friends online

I use to love to play Tony Hawk games online on ps2 but now i can’t cos the serves are closed and no one plays then anyway, but there’s always split-screen, but what i use to love about it was that i use to think i was making some sick combos, but the minute i went online people did quadruple of what i did, i was always last but i had fun anyway. And the ability to share skatepark that other people created was also awesome, just overall a great game online and offline. To bad Tony Hawk games didn’t do well on the 7th generation consoles.

dogwalker4000 9 November, 2012 @ 5:54 pm   40

For me it’s PES 5.

By a country mile the best footie game I have ever played. I plowed hours and hours into the Master League and even more hours playing MP with my brother and when he wasn’t about, my neighbour. Stand out moments include a Mexes 30 yarder against my brother, which made jump outta my chair and sing along to the music we had on. Playing 2 on 2 against my mates picking only random teams. Our team ended up with some god awful team whose only saving grace was their shot power. Our tactics of course were to hammer shots in from anywhere, we ended up winning by like 3 goals, all 20-40 yard screamers.

I have FIFA13 but nothing will ever top the fun we had on PES back in its glory days.

bazer24773 9 November, 2012 @ 5:59 pm   41

would have to say socom confrontation. it had the best community 70% of my friends list is from the game, just a shame the hackers made it unplayable,it did not need stupid perks and unlocks to make you want to play.It’s the only mp game i play for two and a half year can’t see that happen again

Mr_Writer 9 November, 2012 @ 6:03 pm   42

Timesplitters 2

No game this gen has come close.

XxMG0BeastxX 9 November, 2012 @ 6:07 pm   43

Multiplayer of all time I would say would have to be delta force blackhawk down. And joint operations games on pc were so intense as for ps3. Killzone 2 and battlefield bad company 2 they were also intense also like battlefield 3 looks amazing and the new game modes are a lot of fun

emad-E-three 9 November, 2012 @ 6:09 pm   44

KILLZONE 3 Still the BEST Multiplayer i’ve ever played <3

ryannumber3gamer 9 November, 2012 @ 6:09 pm   45

Hard question since i’m a fan of different kinds of multiplayer like Battlefield,Call Of Duty & Call of Duty Zombies, Ratchet & Clank,Portal ,Team Fortress 2 etc. But my favorite would be Little Big Planet 2. I am a huge fan of Co-Op Multiplayer and LBP is the best one i have played. You and 3 friends can go through all different kinds of levels or you can make levels for everyone to play. Also you and your friends can team up to make levels or just have fun using the tools in create mode. LBP is the perfect mix for platforming and Co-Op. I like Portal 2 ‘s Co-Op because of how you and your teammate need to work together to go through the puzzles but I like LBP’s more. You can have hours of fun alone just playing through online levels and you and 3 friends can go through Story mode.

Runners Up:
Portal 2:I like the mixture of Puzzles and teamwork.
Ratchet & Clank 3:Pretty good multiplayer game using the classic Ratchet style.

I’m going to have to go with MAG. I have put so many hours into that game and I even ran a clan for a gaming forum I use. At a time when MMOFPS games are being developed, I think it is so far ahead of it’s time.

Think about it: 256 players on Domination mode – I have never felt more like I was in a real battle like I do in MAG. Multiple different objectives on one huge map – so you have so many different things to do and different class types to achieve them. This means that whether you’re a sniper or a medic or a run and gunner, everyone has an important role to fill.

It’s the only game I’ve ever played that rewards good leadership in such a way as MAG. I love that the OIC, Platoon and Squad leaders all have unique abilities to help their team, and you really need to work together to win.

The sense of accomplishment you get from winning an epic battle in MAG has been unrivalled since it’s release, I think. It’s easily my favourite MP game and more people need to play it and see why!

Killzone 2, because of his (In my Eyes) best Clan System I’ve ever played with.

I mean hey set up a 4on4 tournament play a few public games for warm up and(if you forgotten it you get a Notification 15 minutes to the tournament start) beat all other Clan’s and win this thing.

pinkplaybunny 9 November, 2012 @ 6:15 pm   48

I was never really into online multiplayer games until I got LBP2. I loved it with that game and finally saw the point!

zxRATTLExz 9 November, 2012 @ 6:19 pm   49

My favourite multiplayer experience in terms of hours logged would be Gears of war 2′s Horde mode though that is a co-op mode so not strictly MP.

Other MP that consumed my life for more hours than i care to think about are Quake III arena on PC/Dreamcast which to this day is still my favourite way to kill other people. Nothing else comes close to rocket jumping and gibbing from above.
Also i would like to add is SEGA’s Chu Chu Rocket. This game on Dreamcast was my first experience of online MP and it got me hooked. Definately well overdue a re-issue with online functionality….sorely missed.

Off topic (I’m sorry but you don’t seem to look at the Portal topic anymore):

Will we get Portal 2 as a downloadable version (with plus 30% off)?

Yoshikart64 9 November, 2012 @ 6:22 pm   51

Man, people already mentioned some of the best in Timesplitters and Goldeneye. Anyone else remember always going for the car in the snow level in future perfect? The handling was so weird you could never run people over yet everyone still went for it.

007 Nightfire was something that always got a play. That one level where the cable cars linked two buildings over a ravine was awesome. Everyone just ran across the two wires at the top shooting each other or throwing oddjob hats from insanely long distances.

Battlefield 2 on the PC was a good shout; back then the scale was unlike anything we’d ever seen before. Loading up an entire helicopter with mates and then totally crashing it into a tree was all the rage.

Voodoo341 9 November, 2012 @ 6:27 pm   52

CS:GO… fantastic game. One of the best online shooters on EU PSN…….. oh wait…

I have 2. 1st was Rise of the Triad on the PC, which is getting a reboot next year. It was a so-so game, made awesome by having more gibs than a BeeGees family reunion, Dial-up made it tough sometimes, but always fun

From this generation though, nothing comes close to beating Rainbow Six Vegas for me, has to be the original, not the sequel. It was great, and I only really played one level, where you had to get the briefcase from a casino, or stop the enemy doing it. But when you had 2 teams of 8 working well, it could be the best hour of gameplay ever. With so many ways to get in and out of the casino, there was always more places to hide and guard, or more ways to sneak past those who were guarding. It had a cover system too, one of the first to do it well making shootouts a bit more strategic than lying down behind a badly drawn crate. It was also one of the first games to reward you with upgraded kit and clothes too the more you played, it just felt so rewarding and I must have put 200 hours in to it, mainly on that one level.

Sadly, because I enjoyed that so much, playing games like COD without the cover system or great team building just became dull to me and I’ve never really enjoyed an online shooter since

dee4life4444 9 November, 2012 @ 6:36 pm   54

So much to choose from. Could go with CoD or Fifa but I’m going for Goldeneye 007. Endless amounts of fun! :)

cyber_marco 9 November, 2012 @ 6:36 pm   55

Off Topic:
I just received a 30days trial code for PS+. I have already an active subscription, but I’m getting an error when trying to activate the promo, maybe I can’t stack it with my current subscription?

simojonat 9 November, 2012 @ 6:47 pm   56

My favorite multiplayer game is probably LittleBigPlanet(Playstation Vita).

It’s possible to play a lot of different kinds of levels that people has made. It’s also possible to play all story mode levels while playing multiplayer. That there are both cooperative and versus levels makes it even better. Local multiplayer is pretty much the only thing that is missing.

Shadow-Man_EU 9 November, 2012 @ 6:49 pm   57

When you talk about the key words “best” and “multiplayer”, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves has to come to mind. It has been my most played Multiplayer of all time since I got my PS3 in 2008.

The key to an amazing multiplayer is simplicity and balancing. Balancing is so important in any multiplayer game, especially shooters. In Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, all 10 players would start with an AK, a pistol and a grenade. That’s it. All players starts with very basic weapons, and everyone is on a fair ground.

Another element which totally strengthens my points above, is the symmetrical nature of the multiplayer maps. Being symmetrical, it helps to keep both teams balanced in terms of the distance from power weapons. Both teams have the same distance from weapon pick-ups and power weapons, which makes the matches incredibly balanced.

The game is an easy-to-play but difficult-to-master type of game, and combine this with the amazingly simple game-play and finely tuned and balanced multiplayer, this game surely has something so unique that no other multiplayer game has.

Fred Dutton 12 November, 2012 @ 3:48 pm

Nice shout – Naughty Dog did a great job on this one. Incidentally, I am utterly, utterly rubbish at it. WVA code here.

singstar changed the way we play and share media to see ppl make fools of them sells time after time is priceless!!!

Voodoo341 9 November, 2012 @ 6:53 pm   59

Counter Strike:GO

Best game not on EU PSN…. because SCEE are so professional

Nelsonslb1991 9 November, 2012 @ 6:54 pm   60

cod4 was amazing back them. battlefield 2 was awesome. battlefield 3 could had been my favorite of all time but dice ruined battlefield 3.
why don´t sony make a fps military game like battlefield 2?

S-o-h-a-i-l 9 November, 2012 @ 6:54 pm   61

Sorry Sony, but Super Smash Bros (1999) is one game me and my friends played almost religiously for years. It’s been a game we’ve always gone back to, as well as used in partys & when holding competitions.

It has the key fundamental features any good multiplayer game needs, it’s both accessible (in that its so easy for anyone to jump in and learn the ropes) and engaging (in that it has a hook factor that keeps you wanting to play more). I guess half the reason I chose it was nostalgia though, this was during the times where multiplayer required having to go to each others houses and actually sitting with your friends, smack talking each other while having a great time and having a mum always bring up a snack platter (where we’d all suddenly stop talking and put on our creepy smiles) – the simple thought of it takes me back all those years.

I guess to sum it up, Super Smash Bros is my favourite multiplayer game of all time – because its simple to play, its highly addictive and it brings back great memories. Hope Playstation All Stars manages to do the same once my pre-order copy arrives (I still love you Sony !).

AsmodeanBT 9 November, 2012 @ 6:55 pm   62

SingStar. Oh, no, wait, that’s the crap on my XMB that I don’t want to play and don’t enjoy.

grimbarian 9 November, 2012 @ 6:56 pm   63

Some absolutely amazing games mentioned already… Timesplitters, Hogs of War, Worms… All great shouts.

I’ve got to go with the original Micro Machines. It was so unique and addictive. And – as someone else mentioned – there really is no substitute for actually being able to see your foe (or knock their hand) when playing against them.

Motorstorm RC has since managed to recapture a bit of this fun. No servers, no spam chat. Just mates, beers and fun.

manutreble 9 November, 2012 @ 7:00 pm   64

Call of duty has to be best social game ever when playing online and playing zombies with friends

I used to love micro machines multiplayer on the mega drive, great weapons and really fun and inventive tracks made this a personal favourite. Nothing could beat the satisfaction of slamming your brother off the snooker table track on the final corner and taking the win.

Thalia_01 9 November, 2012 @ 7:04 pm   66

Fat princess, without a doubt.

It will probably stay that way for a while, since I won’t be buying anything new untill you stop ignoring us and answer our questions about “Singstar Gate” already.

Nope, the problem still hasn’t magically dissapeared yet. I don’t think your radio silence strategy is working; its just making people more angry.

Then again… they might like it! ;)

Gotta be any game im good at mwah ha ha

But seriously gotta be assassins creed multiplayer. There’s nothing like watching someone kill an NPC while hiding, the blending in element is so unique. Its not just an all guns blazing game. With the right blend of people its the ultimate methodical online experience

Avengerrr 9 November, 2012 @ 7:07 pm   68

I have to say Killzone 2 was my most favourite in the way that it always advanced beyond simple killing to a set of core objectives that united a team to one focus, and the different team roles enabled a mobility with working as a team.

A nice array of gadgets helped to support a triad of gameplay styles, attack, defence and support, physics were revolutionary for the FPS genre, offering more realism and also more game balance.

I loved it because it was so balanced, different and full of variety. Matches rarely played out the same and of course K3 gave more polished options/weapons/environments adding everything I’ve mentioned in more bucket fulls.

multiplayer what stands out most for me was FIFA 06 on ps2 and killzone online on ps2 was q close second, shame they left the online MP out in killzone HD.

FIFA MP on ps2 had q really good ranking system what is missing on ps3 and 360 FIFA.

Avengerrr 9 November, 2012 @ 7:14 pm   71

Incidental I forgot to mention up above that the post title mentioned ‘best’, while I have stated my favourite, if you want to know the best, as far as modern games are concerned probably would be Call of Duty, as it has indeed revolutionized the future of multiplayer in every genre of gaming, it has helped to shape the systems of stat tracking, perks, leveling up and rivalry.

In my opinion multiplayer in all games notably changed after CoD 4.

Mayernator87 9 November, 2012 @ 7:16 pm   72

I remember many sessions of Timesplitters 2 on my humble Gamecube all those years ago! So many game modes, so many characters to choose from and the weapons… (I remember the poor console struggling to maintain smooth framerates with all the carnage during 4-player split-screen, plus 12 other bots).

We used to choose the ‘asylum’ map i believe it was called, have two characters play as two generic soldiers and have hordes of zombies come after us on the opposite team!

Another fave was nothing but land mines. 16 players and the only weapon we could have was landmines!

This is why i really hope they do release a HD remake of the Timesplitters games! They were awesome!

TheNudgeMan 9 November, 2012 @ 7:17 pm   73

One word: Micro Machines V3! OK so it’s not one word, but what a game! Trickier than it looks until you get the hang of the courses, but I spent many a hungover Saturday afternoon wasting time on that bad-boy!
I still have the disc too, so it still gets a run-out whenever i meet up with a particular mate.

Local multiplayer just envokes memories that online can never match.

Menorkamer 9 November, 2012 @ 7:21 pm   74

Journey. Non intruvsive multiplayer at its best:)I don’t care much for multiplayer, but when it’s done like that, it’s a treat:) It makes the world feel more alive.

Menorkamer 9 November, 2012 @ 7:23 pm   75

Hmmm, spelling. *Intrusive.

Condemned 2: Bloodshot. Pure close combat mayhem with shovels, 2×4′s, toilet seats and bare fists. It’s dark, violent and most of all pure fun. Back to the basics in a pill. Hard to swallow and not for the faint harted.

thezooniverse 9 November, 2012 @ 7:36 pm   77

So many great multiplayer games, its hard to choose. I really loved playing 007 agent under fire back on the PS2 in split screen and never had the chance to play Golden eye. Theres too many games to choose from nowadays so im gonna have to choose several. Little Big Planet, COD zombies, Homefront, Guitar Hero but my top 3 have to be #3 Payday the heist #2 MW2 special ops and im gonna have to go with Red Dead Redemption at #1. Hopefully I will be able to include Playstation All Stars Battle Royale when it comes out :)

fjernbetjening 9 November, 2012 @ 7:39 pm   78

A fun little PSN game entitled: “Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars”. With a title like that you just know it’s crazy.

It’s hard to describe how the game is played, I mean it’s hard enough just to explain the name of the game, but basically it’s kinda like a football game, except all the football players are “supersonic acrobatic rocket-powered battle cars”.

So needless to say, it’s a “blast” playing it with friends ;-)

doomsday619 9 November, 2012 @ 7:42 pm   79

One of the best games for me has to be Freedom Fighters of the PS2 era, in my opinion one of the most underated games ever.

Counterstrike 1.6 on PC. I think I must have put over 300 hours into the game. It was the ultimate competitive fps. The games initial set up rewarded you for doing well in the previous round with more money to buy weapons for the next round which meant you could be a newbie or veteran and still be on a level playing field if you were good enough. Not like titles now such as CoD which put new players at a disadvantage because they haven’t grinded perks or better guns.

V00D00CHARL1E 9 November, 2012 @ 7:49 pm   81

I’m really showing my age, but my all time favourite classic has to be Combat for the Atari 2600

Simple premise (even simpler graphics) but my word did I spend many hours navigating a square with a stick, hiding behind a rectangle, just to shoot another square with an even smaller square.

Simple..basic…fun…

The up and coming PS3 title Sportfriends reminds me so much of the basic concept. Cant wait

Coody-Baroody 9 November, 2012 @ 7:57 pm   82

Gotta be PES 6 on Playstation 2. The times me and my mates had on that, we still talk about to this day. Whether it was 1v1 or 2v2 via multitap it was amazing and so tense. Our favourite thing to do though was my best mate and I would team up against the AI on the hardest difficulty (all the time while having a few cheeky beers) and we would be some average team and play a tournament…..

I tell you the Bromance was something else when one of us would get an injury time winner. My girlfriend didnt use to be amused when we were shouting at the ref, screaming cos we’d hit the post or cheering and hitting drunken High 5′s at 2-3am when we’d just scored.

Such good times WELL missed i tell ya.
We play this gens football games together too but nothing comes close to Pro Evo 6.

Only wish i hadnt sold my PS2.

Lion-o1980 9 November, 2012 @ 8:10 pm   83

For me it would be playing the original Contra or Double Dragon. Teaming up with a mate was quality. Plus the Konami code helped quite a bit ;)

joushikijin 9 November, 2012 @ 8:21 pm   84

Battlefield 2 for PC, no explanation needed ;)

declan__watson 9 November, 2012 @ 8:22 pm   85

Hello Fred how are you today?
For me it would be all of the games I’ve played but as specially PlayStation home.

Just the whole social aspect, meeting your friends, going to, playing games, beta trials etc on home. It’s got a great sense to it and its enjoyable to play. Just fun, cool, social and enjoyable new ways to play.
Thanks for your time. :)

declan__watson 9 November, 2012 @ 8:32 pm   86

Hello again
I have a question and I would like to know if its true but is Apple inc. Buying Sony corporation in the future I saw it on the Internet I thought it would be an amazing idea for both company’s I believe we and apple have a lot of things in common for example the whole music business we could make a new iPod call it the iWalkman, iTunes on next generation playstation, link our apple I’d accounts and apple could start managing some of Sony’s gaming priorities giving us access to iOS on our smartphones, tablet etc i believe with apple and sony as one big company it bonds to make a fantastic partnership which would see two fantastic and amazing company’s with fantastic history’s coming together. Reply me back if it could happen or if you think they could.
Thank you. :)

ukcrazyguy 9 November, 2012 @ 8:56 pm   87

I know it’s not actually multiplayer but at the minute I am addicted to the ps3 angry birds online leader boards.mainly because I’m number one in world on one of the levels.

Greatest multiplayer game of all time has to be battlefield 2 on the pc, thats the game that started it all for me, I’d dabbled with the likes of chu chu rocket on the dreamcast, but it was battlefield that really hooked me in and I was addicted. Remember being up until 4 or 5 am having just one more go, knowing I had to be at work at 8am, then spending all day, red eyed, yawning, counting down the hours until I could go back at it. Ended up skipping meals, nights out, even dumping my girlfriend just to have more time playing.

I look back know and can’t believe the things I did to play, but my god it was worth it

devilmaker 9 November, 2012 @ 9:03 pm   88

I too agree with what a few others have said. It’s Timesplitters, hands down. 2 or FP, it makes little difference.

The multiplayer was fun because you didn’t have to dedicate all your time to progress in the ‘campaign’. It was without a doubt a pick-up-and-play experience. The reason it was so fun was that you could hand it to a friend who had never played and within 5 minutes they’d be havng fun in the multiplayer. Not after a few hours of grinding whilst simultaneously having to apologise for the games shortcomings in order to finally get to ‘the good bit’ or ‘the good weapon’.

mike_291990 9 November, 2012 @ 9:07 pm   89

Early next week? Can’t wait!

On topic: That’s hard, depends on the genre really.
For shooters, that’s easy. Metal Gear Online (2) is my favourite shooter of all time. No other online shooter came close to my enjoyment with that game and I still miss it since servers closed earlier this year.

For MMOs I have 2. The second MMO I ever played and the one that really got me into the genre, Ragnarok Online. I loved that game and wasted many hours in it. I have many fond memories playing that.

Final Fantasy XIV as well. Despite the terrible state of the game on launch, I really enjoyed it and have been playing it actively since the November 2010 patch which fixed my biggest gripe with the game (random EXP! I hated it!)

I’m gonna miss it once servers go down completly on Sunday and will be looking forward to 2.0

jehuty_2174 9 November, 2012 @ 9:13 pm   90

Hands down Killzone 2. I bought as one of my first PS3 games( back at its release 2009) and still play it today. and thats coming from someone who hates FPS games in general.
What made this games MP stand out to me was for one that beginners are put into beginner Ranking matches. furthermore the options to costumize and host a game to your liking. You don’t like the assault class in matches? no problem, just join up a game in which he is disabled.
But what blew my mind was the dynamic objective changes within matches, that keeps things always fresh and interesting.
I even think it still has more people then Killzone 3! Thats impressive! Whats up with all the fanboys that say no MP game on the PS3 has a long lasting community? I think Killzone 2 proves them wrong.

winged_one 9 November, 2012 @ 9:16 pm   91

for multiplayer it’d have to be Rayman Origins, main reason being, it’s a local multiplayer game, which gives me the chance to sit down and enjoy a game with my fiancé, who herself is quite the little gamer (due to my persuasive talents and a good ol’ ps3 :D )Also rayman origins is just down right enjoyable to watch and play!

Hi,
Will callofduty:blackops2 be released digitally I would really love to get a reply on this and if yes !! when ?

Warhawks for me. It was the first multiplayer game I truly played for hours on end on my PS3 with my mates! Jumping around like fools dodging bullets, crashing jets just causing trouble in tanks!!

Happy times :D

sandystrachan 9 November, 2012 @ 9:47 pm   94

MAG . 128vs128 ( 256 ) people on one map , theres nobody thats came close to making anything as exciting as it .

rancidman2 9 November, 2012 @ 9:49 pm   95

For me killzone3 warzone with the different objectives,each match is different, 24 players online
Killzone2 is good, and well mad,chaos at times with 32 players

Best memories of multiplayer gaming I have are from Virtual Tennis on the Dreamcast. A work colleague could never beat me and he became obsessed with changing that. He even resorted to dirty tricks like bringing me a bottle of tequila but it backfired as he would drink as much as me

In terms of online gaming, my favourite is Motorstorm Apocalypse. Absolute carnage but the beauty is that no matter how good or bad you are, there is always some award to be won.

Old Skool for me. Destruction Derby PS1.

Two tv’s, two PS1′s, Two copies of the game and a PS Link Cable.

Hard work at the time but worth it.

D-FrOzenONE 9 November, 2012 @ 10:11 pm   98

Halo 2 was a monumental leap in gaming history, the first to do so many things, including the original “battlelog”

Halo and master-chief take the crown in multi-player no doubt.

call of duty 4 also had good MP, ( too bad they ruined the franchise now)

but Halo for sure, halo even had clan matches which no games seem to have now.

immergingvirus 9 November, 2012 @ 10:17 pm   99

The best multiplayer game has to be gauntlet

MGO RIP

RoninDennis 9 November, 2012 @ 10:25 pm   101

The best multiplayer game is optimized by the best player. Online multiplayer doesn’t entertain me long, I don’t like playing strangers. Achievement gets meaning when you play people who are friends, who train their game just to compete with you. People you can congratulate on besting you, or [CENSORED] off when you trample them.

Two games come to mind. Panel de Pon (the Japanese original of Tetris Attack) and Double Dragon 2 on the NES. Panel de Pon was the ultimate competitive game. My friends and I had sessions where you’d play one game for 25 minutes. Fighting yourself back from the edge, getting cocky and reckless, lucky hits and keen screen busting insights, other people cheering you on, sweat on your brow.

Double Dragon 2 was a great coöp game, such a simple button scheme, so many strategies you could determine beforehand. Kicking the final boss to the ground while the second player knees him in the face in mid-air (great sound effect) and seeing him flying across the screen… My friends and I’d play that game all day, even if we finished it a couple times.

Fred Dutton 12 November, 2012 @ 3:30 pm

Ah, it seems you are familiar with the old ways! Great retro suggestions here – time to update your library with a WVA code though.

Rijamita 9 November, 2012 @ 10:29 pm   102

Nothing will ever match long hours of fighting against my sister in Tekken 3 and Tekken 5. We didn’t care about skills and combos, we didn’t care about which one of us has more usable character and even though we wanted to beat the other one, we didn’t care about losing. There were no problems with lag, glitches and cheats or bad talking people. It was just us and the pure fun.

IllustratedDEO 9 November, 2012 @ 10:32 pm   103

killzone series
gta4 series
max payne 3
resistance 1
cod:mw 1 & cod:blops
l4d 1 & 2
payday:the heist
psabr

ExtremeGamer1995 9 November, 2012 @ 10:43 pm   104

A few months ago I would have said battlefield 3, however my view of modern online games has changed ever since borderlands 2 came out (stay with me). I hated borderlands 1 when it came out and sold it after a month, I hated it but wasn’t sure why. Borderlands 2 comes out and all my friends were going crazy about it, but I stuck to my guns (if you pardon the pun) and was convinced the game was terrible. When they finally asked me why I hated it I broke down what happened in the game, you shoot things and grind up a level. Then I had an epiphany, shooting things is boring and leveling up was a grind. I hated borderlands for the same reason I loved games like battlefield, and now I can’t enjoy any online games.

So to answer the original debate, monopoly!!!!!

monoliet 9 November, 2012 @ 10:45 pm   105

i love sp games 90%
mp i like +-10 %

res 2 i play lots
cod also , even if i hate the game now
bf3
….

monoliet 9 November, 2012 @ 10:46 pm   106

edit = res fal of men 2

hfred123 9 November, 2012 @ 11:07 pm   107

Battlefield 2 on PC back in 2005. It was the first modern online FPS game I had played, as well as the start of my prosperous Battlefield career.

I remember rising up the ranks and finally winning Commander applications. Raining down artillery fire and setting up UAVs was such a unique experience. It was also the game that introduced unlocks and in game rewards that could be used online to me.

I still remember the feeling of sneaking up into the USMC uncap on Karkand as medic and [trying to] rain fire down upon them. Ahhh… nostalgia. The Special Forces expansion was also great fun!

Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 were also very entertaining, but I don’t see any other FPS stealing my heart the way BF2 did!

Nice debate!

Project2insanity 9 November, 2012 @ 11:17 pm   108

Depends on if all, online or offline. As for overall, I have to say Killzone 2. It was brutal and feels- yes, still does- like the closest a game gets to a genuine war. Nearly 500 hours for myself kicking butt all over Helghan, I find it rather enjoyable. Some dudes don’t appear to have bought another game since release, seeing their hours dwarf mine.

For offline multiplayer only- since it’s a very different experience- I’d go for the classic Micro Machines V3. It was party gaming at its finest. Simple controls and over-the-top mayhem made sure everyone enjoyed it.

My fave multiplayer game was Tetris on the original game boy
Me and my brother 2 game boys and a link cable
When one of u got a Tetris (4 lines at once) the others screen went up by 4 lines the panic as u have less screen to play with was intense
I never won a single game to my older brother as when I got a Tetris he pulled the cable out great times

Close second sensible soccer classic no more words needed

LevelUpJordan 9 November, 2012 @ 11:35 pm   111

It has to be Little Big Planet, easy for newcomers to jump in and can be an epic race for score bubbles between two or more veterans, online, offline it’s just so versatile

MaxiM_82 9 November, 2012 @ 11:47 pm   112

Counter-Strike: Global… Oh, wait…

Jacko_the_lad 9 November, 2012 @ 11:48 pm   113

For me, Red Faction: Guerrilla.

The multiplayer was and is still so different to anything else out there. Being able to collapse entire buildings onto people’s heads never got old. :D I also loved the fact there wasn’t any perks or boosters other than the backpacks, it led to a fairer and more challenging game. And the weapons such as the Singularity Bomb caused loads of lols over the time I played it. :P

Plus, you can kill people by hitting them with an ostrich. Need I say more? :)

Rancid_Undead 9 November, 2012 @ 11:53 pm   114

Goldeneye without a doubt! Online multiplayer causes less bruises though. We banned Odd Job in our house, he caused too many arguments.

Nocturnvs 9 November, 2012 @ 11:57 pm   115

Unreal Tournament (especially the original and 2k4) for me. So many fun hours spent on that one. I’d say Wipeout HD Fury also deserves an honorable mention.

Nocturnvs 9 November, 2012 @ 11:58 pm   116

How could I forget LBP :O I’m so sorry, Sackboy! Half my friends list on the PSN I got from LBP.

For me i’d have to pick a classic over the tons of multiplayer games that passed the years already. Back then and when oh i’d say about 20 years already me and my dad had a little tank game on the PC (what was it a 4.something Mhz machine) where you could fight eachother in a large map.

Downside was back then you’d have to share a keyboard to control both tankies. Still.. That marked an era to come in the 20 or so years that followed but in my mind one of the best multiplayer fun i had.

element666 10 November, 2012 @ 12:25 am   118

I loved skate 2,so good just chilling with friends doing freestyle activities and seeing who can do the craziest tricks at the mega park!Good FUN times!

Well ..

my favorite multiplayer game has to be World of warcraft. Ive been playing it since launch/beta in 2005 and im still hooked.

The graphics may not be up to par with the technologie today but the stories/lore and little things they keep adding to the game make sure i go back to it at least once a day.

Guilds also make the social aspect of the game a big factor of coming back to it.

So yea .. my pick is WoW :)

Mario Kart, Just Dance and Guitar Hero are the best multiplayer franchises to me (though having a preference for Mario Kart)

discordia 10 November, 2012 @ 12:58 am   121

My favourite would have to be Goldeneye on the N64, which was the first game I owned for the console. At the time the family had just moved from the UK to Munich – Germany, so playing the Multi-player with my brother, sister and sometimes even Parents, was a nice way to spend time together and have some laughs, in between getting accustomed to a foreign land and a different language. I think it was also something that could be picked up and so easily enjoyed, as essentially it was like playing Tag/Hide&Seek as young kids, you’d search all over for the person and then you’d find them, and then you’d hide and they’d search for you. Plenty of good memories playing Goldeneye. =]

critter44 10 November, 2012 @ 1:08 am   122

My all time favourite MP game is easily Quake II on the PS…four of us crammed onto the couch, multi-tap hooked up, screen divided into four squares…mayhem! Amazing memories. We still recall and laugh about it today:)

steve2010 10 November, 2012 @ 1:41 am   123

Little Big Planet is my favourite multiplayer game, my friends and I spent a lot of time playing bomb survival levels.
Off topic, the latest PlayStation 3 update 4.31 has broken my access to the PlayStation store and this is really frustrating. I put $20 dollars on my account and can’t even spend it.

solarwind12 10 November, 2012 @ 1:51 am   124

The best xbox g, .. sorry multiplayer game, of All time.. for me it is any game that is actually designed as multiplayer First, if not Only, like Starhawk for example, which has a SP ‘tacked’ on But argued to be a learning experience, rather than true SP or Story mode, pity they didn’t out and label it thus, instead of doing what All other devs do and try and get 1and a half, or quarter to add up to two, Have still yet to see this money making approch actually work, for us buyers i mean. Like the devs care anyway, these days at least, So again i like most mp games that Are mp games, not sure i want to name one. as tbh i don’t think i have really seen a playstation example, Mag could of made it, But imo they tried to be to ambitious, which ultimately led to them scaring away the numbers needed to have made it work,No i believe until the money making publishers allow devs to commit to making either SP or MP Only games, basically this debate’s topic is not going to be answered by to many good, or sensible comments, This xbox approach to current gaming, ie tack a mp on Every sp game, so they can make buying Gold subs look needed, Is just holding back classic mp gaming, and vice versa.

Opt1mus76 10 November, 2012 @ 6:34 am   125

Multiplayer has changed over the years. Games like Kick Off, Sensible Soccer and Worms dominated years of my life against friends but they were sitting next to me then. Now its online my opponents are faceless and of unknown ability. This alone can make or break multiplayer for me. From abusive language to cheaters through to just bad losers. I was initially apprehensive about playing online so when I finally decided to take the plunge it had to be a game I was confident I could be competitive in. I also chose a game which also had co-operative play. I chose Burnout Paradise. After years playing previous iterations of Burnout against my brother I was confident in my ability and the game as a solo experience was astounding. Online though it becomes much more apparent how complete this game is and that it draws people together unlike anything else I’ve ever played, and that includes LBP. I met so many great like minded people on that one game and Criterion didn’t just do a couple of half-baked add-ons, they expanded the experience with their dlc. My favourite multiplayer game and possibly one of the best games ever released.
Its better to Burnout than fade away!

likkyzero 10 November, 2012 @ 6:53 am   126

i woulnt even pick a game any game you can grab your family or friends is a great multiplayer
nothing beats having friends or family laugh with you as you play with them.

likkyzero 10 November, 2012 @ 6:53 am   127

nothing beats having friends or family laugh with you as you play with them.

likkyzero 10 November, 2012 @ 6:56 am   128

i wouldnt even pick a game
any game where you grab your family and/or friends is a great multiplayer game
because nothing beats playing game while your friends and family laugh with you

Hmm, this is quite hard to choose. I did spend a lot of my time playing COD multiplayer. I did eventually get burned out on it but it was a very fun and frustrating experience. After that I went on the battlefield train. I bought myself a copy of BFBC2 and had an incredible time online! I did experience a good amount of bugs, which were very annoying but it still didn’t detract from the experience. I can say that BC2 is my favourite multiplayer game.

monoliet 10 November, 2012 @ 8:10 am   130

o.0 i forget 1 game i loved only to mp = whithe knicht cronicles 1

hope soon guild wars 2 to ps3
diablo 3 ( no need of internet + no drm ) then instant buy + play lots mp to

JonOrtega 10 November, 2012 @ 8:10 am   131

Super Smash Bros Melee. I’ve played like 2500+ matches on there with mates.

Goldeneye on N64 was also really fun! Sadly the games these days doesn’t come to close to them in my opinion.

diNtiPatrik 10 November, 2012 @ 8:44 am   132

Little Big Planet
Playstation All Stars Battle Royale
& When Vikings Attack brialiant multiplayers games :)

sensible soccer, hogs of war, tony hawkes, Some simply legendary games being touted, personally only 1 game has ever had me going back for more…for the last 8 years . ….EVE-Online

Mikal_Drey 10 November, 2012 @ 8:52 am   134

hey hey

Eve. Without a doubt its the singlemost amazing mmolg of all time. Why ?

Because you can have the experience that you want without the grief of others or you can experience the harsh environment of pvp and even the cutthroat nature of trade and commerce. Of all the online multiplayers it really does have something for everyone and covers all game styles. you can even get lost for hours just messing with the UI (especially ship fittings)

However; what makes the game my personal multiplayer of all time is that the community is peerless. Corps meet up regularly and the fanfest is just mindblowing. The developers have superb ties with the community and players have a dramatic affect on how the game has evolved over time.

The game is superb but the community makes it amazing.

Mattbrad 10 November, 2012 @ 9:16 am   135

My favourite co op multiplayer experience,

Streets of rage II

Gotta have me some retro love. Nothing like getting to the end and turning on your co op partner only to be betrayed by MR X and sent back two stages

maniac00 10 November, 2012 @ 9:19 am   136

Crash Team Racing & Crash Bash. Good old PS1 days…

sk8r1066 10 November, 2012 @ 9:45 am   137

As far as multiplayer games that actually require some real cooperation I would have to say that portal 2 wins it for me because it requires you to really work with your partner and truly embodies the phrase “there is no I in team”.

For crazy as hell oldschool multiplayer awesomeness it gotta be Toejam and Earl: panic on funkatron, playing that game with a friend is like having a legal group hallucination :)

TheQueenC 10 November, 2012 @ 9:50 am   138

The best multiplayer online of all the time, for me it’s Portal 2 for sure. I had such a great time doing the logic puzzle online with friends, it was complicated, logic, hard to solve and funny all at the same times. And the satisfaction to be the clever one in the game is enough! ;)

Its hard to choose just one multiplayer game but as I’m not a huge fan of fps games my choice would be between Street Fighter 4 or Monster Hunter Portable.

At a push monster hunter would win out due to the many hours spent in coffee shops with my mates questing away and such.

PS also we enjoyed GODS Eater and Lord of Arcana

That was Battlefield vietnam, I’ll never forget. A few friends and myself in a chopper, flying straight into the battle with ride of the valkyries blasting out of the speakers. EPIC!

It’s already been mentioned, but for me it has to be TimeSplitters: Future perfect. That game was just insanely fun on split-screen, you just don’t see that quality of split-screen gameplay these days. I first played it when my best friend brought it over to let me try it out; he left it at mine and it’s been here ever since!

He would come over all the time and we would play for hours. The game modes were all immense: Virus, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch ,Capture the bag etc, all provided hours of fun.

We used to create a Team Deathmatch with the two of us up against as many bots as possible, in the temple map. There was this long strip of corridor with twists and turns,leading up to a sort of cave at the end which was a dead end. We would lay traps all along the corridor like proximity mines, and wait in the cave section as the explosions slowly got closer and closer. When the bots finally raged through all the mines and turned the corner into our cave, we’d be ready with an array of weaponry to make our last stand. We’d respawn of course, but you really got caught up in the moment.

I would always say to him “It’s about time I gave you this game back man.”
But he would always reply “Nah, I think it’s yours now.”
It’s getting me all teary-eyed just thinking about it.

I’d vote for counter strike:GO ….

GoreF1end 10 November, 2012 @ 10:55 am   144

Quake 3. Pure, unadulterated, fast, frantic, multiplayer. Still not been matched for deathmatch, I don’t think. And although Unreal came along and added more depth and variety to the multiplayer, it still didn’t match the surreal pace and skill involved in Quake.

Socom 1 & especially Socom 2.
No other game has had the friendly community that these games had, most people on my friends list bought a PS3 expecting a similar standard but unfortunatly that has yet to happen, imo COD destroyed shooting games,….
The days where friendly banter was friendly not aggressive or rude…
Teamwork was important to win, not K/D ratio…
Noobs were welcomed into the fray, and assisted in gaming,
Also push to talk comms was good so you could talk to / make new friends….
I enjoyed being dead in these games as that was a good time chat , clan matches were intense yet fun..
I miss those days, I guess a hd remake will never be made, maybe something similar will make the next gen..who knows

Catkiller1 10 November, 2012 @ 11:26 am   146

As much as I loved Battlefield 2 on the PC, my favourite would have to be Joint Ops: Typhoon Rising.

Joint Ops: Typhoon Rising was the usual affair of take control points, Team Death Match, King Of The Hill etc. It was the first Online Multiplayer game I really played with alot of work colleagues. Most of them lived around the corner, so when we would take a short break we would meet up, have a laugh, cigarette & a quick can of Lager before heading back online again for a few hours! My wife used to work Night Shifts so that suited me fine :)

The sniping was realistic to the point where you would have to judge the distance & aim accordingly. There were different types of Helicopters & ground vehicles at your disposal & the maps were absolutely huge! You could customise your appearance & weapon loadouts etc Words can’t justify the overall experience of the game, it needs to be experienced. I played that game for just over 2 1/2 years until people starting using Hacks/Chams & that ruined the game for me an made it obsolete. Novaworld had a great stats website similar to Battlelog that is currently used by EA for Battlefield 3 & MOH Warfighter but obviously not as advanced.

*SIGH* the memories…..*WEEPS*

maverick2056 10 November, 2012 @ 11:35 am   147

It has to be STREET FIGHTER in all its variants, Firstly it started out as a multi player game long before the internet came out, and it has stayed as a multi player game all the way through, online leader boards and forums through to national and worldwide tournaments add to the overall experience, it’s one of them games that once you are into it you will spend the rest of your spare time trying to perfect it.

The best multiplayer game of all time has to be Bomberman. The simplicity of the game means that anyone can pick it up and play it, but the frantic play, range of tactics and uncomplicated power ups together with having five people all shouting at each other around the telly make for some of my greatest multiplayer gaming memories

The very first Counter-Strike up to 1.6.
We were still young in these days, LAN gaming was huge and CS’ gameplay was nothing but revolutionary in those times when plain Deathmatch and CTF were all that multiplayer shooters offered.

That surviving mattered as much as killing, that teamplay was not just an hypothetical option seemed like a gift from the gods to me in the late 90s.
That it had the best community, the loveliest and craziest maps (still missing those rats maps!) just add to the case. Without a doubt my best multiplayer experience in my life.

CGSO in our days (yes, the PC version) doesn’t feel all the same. The traditional mode and gameplay lost much of its special flair, new additions as Arms Race are nothing but a disappointment. Oh and of course LAN is dead, I’m older and … oh well. :)

The greatest multiplayer game of all time is FU**ING SINGSTAR.

My favourite multiplayer game must be Team Fortress 2(came with the orange box).
It is balanced. All the classes have their advantages and disadvantages. For instance: The Spy has a huge advantage against most classes, but comes short against the Pyro who can kill him in an instance! This is what makes this game brilliant! The comic-like graphics, fun humour and crazy situations makes this my favourite multiplayer game of all time.

But I want to tell some thoughts I have for LittleBigPlanet. I really love this game because of the multiplayer-option that is really funny.

But I feel it is limited. And LBP has much more potential! For instance: on the PSvita version of LBP (which I play the most) all the players have to be on the same screen. This works well in the original maps, but I could wish this could be turned off. Let’s say you make a map where you really have to communicate with the other player through text/talk instead of being on the same screen. You have to activate and make changes to the map on the whole other side of the map to help the other player on the opposite side of the map. I think this could make much more tough maps and puzzles. Just a thought.

What do you think?

ArturiusKing 10 November, 2012 @ 12:24 pm   152

has anyone mentioned track and field or Daley Thompsons athletics?? Pad breakers but lots of fun multiplayer!!!

Time Splitters 2 or maybe 3 very creative game it had multiple gamemodes 100+ guns and characters and you could easily lose track of time while playing

Dylan_Martin 10 November, 2012 @ 12:34 pm   154

Start the Party !

It’s fun for all the family and anyone can play regardless of age/gender.

There is nothing negative and is only about having fun. There is always a winner but the score doesn’t matter because you have so much fun playing the game its not important.

It is also good exercise which is very important nowdays.

The best multiplayer games are no doubt those that you can enjoy togheter with a close IRL friend of course.

Playing randomly on servers in all honor. But there are some sweet memories that will never fade from my gaming heart. This includes for example a whole co-op weekend on resident evil 5 that included quite a few laughs and even more screams “watch out!”, not always in that order.

Who has not been battling it out on soul calibur? Who can make the craziest fighter and use them in a tournament against your IRL friends? Or perhaps fifa 13 where you can all pick a position in a team togheter with your friends and try to nail those goals?

Well there are to many games to be ranked, but a gaming experience in your couch with your friends never fails. So thats my vote.

hfred123 10 November, 2012 @ 1:13 pm   156

I’ve been sleeping on this, and Crash Team Racing drove into my mind. I remember playing it for hours and hours with my best friend. We discovered shortcuts on almost every level… Who dosen’t remember the great shortcut on Sewer Speedway, where you would have to time your jump just right? Or blowing the stonefaces mouth open with a bomb on Tiger Temple? Or perhaps ignoring the racing for a few hours and sticking to VS. mode deathmatch?

I still have contact with my best friend today, and we have made it a tradition to play Crash Team Racing once every two months. Fantastic game!

Steinarfrikk 10 November, 2012 @ 1:47 pm   157

At the very top is Counter Strike. On playstation 3 it must be Killzone 2. :)

Darth_Newdar 10 November, 2012 @ 1:57 pm   158

I think my favourite multiplayer game of all time has to be… Portal 2.

The co-operative mode was just brilliant. Nothing even comes close. Superb level design, fantastic puzzles, a story that was as good as the single-player… but the clincher was definitely the “gestures” which are the best method of player communication in any game. Pointing, timing, dancing – it was all there, and it was quite astonishingly well implemented. Never had so much fun in any other co-op mode, so for that, it gets my pick.

It has to be cod zombies hours and hours of gaming

Burnout Paradise you can just drop straight into multiplayer with friends or random people online or a mix of both then drop straight back out again. I’m not always a fan of online multiplayer but think it’s perfected in this game and have never received any abuse from anyone whilst playing Burnout but have in other games (FIFA etc.). I like the fact that you have to work on challenges together or you can play other games like cops and robbers. The thing about some games now though is that offline splitscreen is not in the game so it can be harder to play offline with someone you know. Tony Hawks HD is particularly guilty in this respect as the old games used to have offline splitscreen so i could play against my brother so i think some of the social aspect of gaming is lost due to a lack of local multiplayer.

Honetly fred I dont have a personal online favorite. perhaps if you give me a code I may finally find one i enjoy ;)

Superbuu3 10 November, 2012 @ 4:41 pm   162

Burnout multiplayer on PS2. It was the first game that anyone I knew who played even if they were terrible enjoyed. The crashes looked fantastic, the addition of takedowns on your opponents in the later games made things even cooler. Lets not forget the addition of Crash mode with the addition of hotseat gaming, probably the only game I’d bother doing in it. Always was a good laugh for ending a night.

CodeMonkey_UK 10 November, 2012 @ 5:15 pm   163

For sheer hours put in it has to be Quake 2. I think me and my brothers must have clocked nearing a thousand hours of LAN time. Creating maps, downloading maps, capture flag and general chaos. I dont think any other game justified 3 pcs in the same room as much.

I miss those days…

Ben25BBB 10 November, 2012 @ 5:56 pm   164

One of my favourite multiplayer portions of a game was the Co-Op in Portal 2! I have great memories of trying to beat the Co-Op campaign with my cousin, whilst also spending half the time moving portals to get each other killed!

aodhanman 10 November, 2012 @ 6:33 pm   165

It has to be Timesplitters Future Perfect back on the old PLaystation 2 machine so many amazing hours spent with my cousins playing split screen in that game. Robo Monkey for life!

Call of duty 4 best multi-player ever

Everybodys gonna say Cod i suppose. With respect…..WRONG!
You’ve really got to go back to alien vs predator. Not the version bought out on the consoles, but the original pc version.
I haven’t felt such tension, or excitement in a multiplayer game since, but i definitely have my fingers crossed for colonial marines.
You could play as an alien, marine or predator, but the real stars of the game were the levels, audio and excellent strategic use of the lighting.
Playing as the alien, you could destroy lights enabling you to crawl up and hide on the darkened ceiling. if you played as the marine, you could always switch of the perfect rendition of the motion tracker and switch to night vision. but then you’d miss the cloaked predator creeping up behind you, locking on with the shoulder cannon.
i could still play it quite happily now, and why rebellion came away from this style of play is beyond me!
Whoevers making colonial marines. PLEASE DONT COCK THIS ONE UP!
I desperately need a decent alien console game……Maybe with predator DLC? ;)

Played in a dark room with the volume up. best multiplayer hands down

KavinSarragin 10 November, 2012 @ 9:22 pm   168

For me it would me the old NES title: Battle City.

Maybe it’s because of the nostalgia, but the multiplayer in the old times forced you to interact with the other player. He/she was a real human being and not an avatar with a nickname above its head. The emotions that came with fighting someone that was next to you can’t be revived by most of the current generation titles.

ESPGANESAIII 10 November, 2012 @ 10:13 pm   169

Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast/Gamecube, so many hours grinding and rare weapon hunting. having 3 of my best buddies round on a weekend and just playing it almost non-stop while munching pizza, pringles and haribo before going back to solo mode on monday only to repeat the same thing again that next weekend.

One word, GLORIOUS!!!!!

XboxDave360 10 November, 2012 @ 10:23 pm   170

My favourite multi player game of all time has to be the marvellous gauntlet – it was fun,amazing team play, great gameplay. The original gauntlet arcade was just great, yeah the graphics were really basicish but hey the arcade had buttons for 4 simultaneous players an absolute pleasure to play even if it was a bit of a squeeze to play. Bet you had a few goes in the arcade eh Fred?

pandarino 10 November, 2012 @ 10:47 pm   171

It’s either Mario Kart or Bomberman and anyone denying it it’s either too young or biased.

pandarino 10 November, 2012 @ 10:48 pm   172

And I agree, Phantasy Star Online was GLORIOUS.

darth-cruncher 10 November, 2012 @ 11:32 pm   173

Though it is just a recent game for me, via Plus download; I have to plump for Red Dead Redemption. Totally immersive world, but the ability to hook up and cause mayhem, with a consequence though, it what swings it for me.
Rockstar have created a brave new world, and the SP mode is awesome too.
Other than that, I have to bow my head to Timesplitters, KZ3 and BF3.

darth-cruncher 10 November, 2012 @ 11:51 pm   174

Additional thoughts on MP: I am old enough to trace my gamer routes back to an Text Adventure game on a Binary punch Mainframe. Where we did a project starting to code additional lines to the story. We had 2 stations in the Uni separated by a floor. Each took it in turn, to branch out a different line in the story to how you received the answers. Thus creating potentially infinite directions (it was for a group project). We took it in turns to each send a member from each team, down to the other station and log how they progressed. Though this was as basic ( no pun intended ) as it got, at the time it was so engrossing we all skipped the afternoon lessons and carried on for 4 hours after. By which time we had run out of storage.
It was something we yearned to do again and again, but in those days you had to book the computer time! I never repeated the exercise but a gamer bug was born.

I’ll be very surprised if this hasn’t been said already, but for me, Journey is a true masterpiece of multiplayer gaming.

Nothing quite beats the experience. You know nothing about the person behind the other character, you simply communicate with the little beeps that the cloth people make. A game that doesn’t force you to play together, but makes you want to help each other, is definitely doing something right. The feeling of soaring through the air with your partner, helping each other stay aloft longer, is exhilarating!

dividsmythe 11 November, 2012 @ 10:25 am   176

Nothing ever beat PES 5 online. It was my real first online experience and still by far the greatest. I just cannot get in to fps genre even though I’ve tried lots of times.

Gamesgbkiller 11 November, 2012 @ 11:43 am   177

Battlefield 3 and Battlefield games in general

each game you play .. its going to be different

That’s what i like about it

Quake 3 Arena, fast paced, brutal and pretty fun, I remember playing it during school’s computer class, just as we sat down me and my friends just started up the game and battled with each other. Online is fun but on LAN isnt any bad.

kieranmarsh 11 November, 2012 @ 1:04 pm   179

SINGSTAR!!! most awesome multiplayer ever plus its completely free!!

tiymli <–tryityoumightlikeit

what… i gotta go out and buy microphones… oh

uh, i gotta pay for each song to download??

omg, so only the icon on the xmb is the free bit?? awwww… sony, you led me to belive it was a fun packed festival of free fun!!

To me, it’s Resistance 2 co-op.

I’ve never been able to get into competitive multiplayer in shooters, it’s always been a non-stop parade of me getting headshot from behind before I’ve even gotten my bearings. And most co-op modes seems difficult to get into, usually requires tight coordination and a good amount of skill from all players. If someone, including yourself, is flailing around like a dumb noob, you’re ruining the experience for everyone else.

So R2 was a revelation. A bit like a MMORPG dungeon raid crossed with a FPS, with large open maps, 8 player teams, and low penalty for dieing – it was more about mastering the levels to get the highest score than just surviving. You could take your time learning how to play, or go off on your own and play hero, knowing full and well the rest of the team would be fine. Spent countless hours leveling up and improving my skills, until I consistently ranked in the top of the matches, even getting most kills as a medic!

It really was like nothing else out there, and sadly it doesn’t seem like anyone’s made anything like it since. I keep hoping though, seems like there would be a brilliant free to play game to be made from it.

Fred Dutton 12 November, 2012 @ 3:26 pm

A very classy shooter indeed, as evidenced by the number of people still palying it. Enjoy WVA!

Robert-Ninja 11 November, 2012 @ 1:45 pm   181

Resident Evil: Outbreak (File #1/2)

First RE game to go online, perfect example of true co-op and survival horror. Very difficult and rewarding. No RE game these days has gotten even close to how good that online was. Up to 4 players trying to survive in raccoon city, holding doors shut to keep zombies out, trying to heal each other, desperately conserving ammo. A unique communication system that kept people focussed and into the game rather than messing about on mic. Brilliant in every way and no doubt in my mind it was definitely the best online games ever. WHen the servers were taken off I was so sad. Now we’ve got action RE games with tacked-on co-op for the sake of just making it online. Sad times indeed.

MonkeyKing-X 11 November, 2012 @ 2:19 pm   182

Pain is probably one of our favourite multiplayer games of recent times. The game seems very simple at first but once you realise the high score possibilities woven into the physics we were all laughing and hooked for hours and hours. We would still fire it up now and again and find ourselves still hooked and finding out new ways to achieve high scores

Come to think of it we haven’t really touched the rest of the stages on offer, some simple games can be amazing if enough creativity has been forged into it

robbie_12345 11 November, 2012 @ 3:51 pm   183

I think it has to be between call of duty & tekken for the best multiplayer. Mind They need to fix the cheating on tekken as its spoiled the ranking on t5..

robbie_12345 11 November, 2012 @ 3:51 pm   184

the-joey123 11 November, 2012 @ 4:32 pm   185

BF3 because… wel its just awesome. you want to get launched by a jeep? you got it! or just kill everyone with a helicopter is also very funny. the MP is awesome because almost everything is possible

I don’t like mp. I accept that there is a market for it and I see that market focussing on just a few games.
I hate the impact of the succes of these games that they have on the whole gaming market. Now, almost every game, seems to need a mp bullet on the back of the cover. Often that mp is mediocer and is played for a very short time. The budget of a game is limmited and a part of these resources are pulled from the sp to the mp.
I stopped buying these games day one because of that.
If I should choose a game, Jouney.

For me its Star Wars Battlefront. Not only was it amazing being able to play through your favourite battles with (or against) your friends, but it was great comparing experiences with each other. For example on the Hoth map my friend and I were getting our butts handed to us; then we saw Luke Skywalker charge past us and just as we said ‘with him helping we may have a chance’ an AT-AT stood on him…

Hopefully now that Disney own LucasArts, we might get Battlefront 3. One can only hope…

paulitas 11 November, 2012 @ 8:22 pm   188

Best game of all times (for now) have to be gta4 its
the only game that you can do race deadmatches
co-op and even there is free mode where you
make everything you want that’s a game for everybody

Best MP game of all time, without a doubt, is Counter-Strike: Source. This was and still is the perfect competitive game; easy to learn, difficult to master. No ranks, no unlocks, just skill. Add to that the ability to mod the game how you wished and ease of map creation further increase the lifespan of the game greater than anything that has come since before or since.

AshishSahoo 11 November, 2012 @ 9:06 pm   190

For me its Wipeout 2048. Not many people around me play online games, so I was mostly playing with strangers, but I felt really good. Even though early on it seemed last place was reserved for me, but the game was so well designed that I never felt too frustrated.The netcode was also great and it ran smoothly on my 512kbps connection. Gradually I became a master of online, with the most amazing moment when I won 10 events in a row! Bombing others in combat events using rockets(my favourite) was always the highlight of the matches for me.
Shame to see Liverpool closing down.

Johnson81 11 November, 2012 @ 9:13 pm   191

This is such a difficult question as there are so many great games that deserve this title.

Super Mario Kart = Countless hours of battle mode between two opponents that actually caused real rivalries.

Doom = It invented deathmatch.

Goldeneye/Perfect Dark = 4 player split screen, ridiculous amount of options to tinker with.

Bomberman = Unbelievably addictive deathmatch, 10 player on the Saturn.

Project Gotham Racing 2 = One of the best Xbox multiplayer racing games, so many memories.

Halo 2 = One of the first FPS games that felt like PC lobby’s etc.

Call Of Duty = Made multiplayer the way it is today in 90% of shooters and even makes casual players pick up systems and games.

From all of these games, which are/were great games at the time I think the one game that blew my mind was Phantasy Star Online. It was the first Online RPG I played and it was fantastic.

tiago-kun 11 November, 2012 @ 10:12 pm   192

As much boot licking this may sound, it’s Little Big Planet!

It’s such a blast when playing with friends on the house or perfect strangers online, you just pop into a level and you’re having fun. You can help other players through a difficult level they are having trouble with (or seek help if you’re the one having problems), race them to the end of the level or just build levels together. You can create your own levels, play what your friends make. There was a time where we even started what could be called “Sticker Wars” where we pulled the popit menu and started trying to glue stickers at each other. I really enjoyed it a lot, and when I was getting tired of the game, paintball guns appeared and the fun lasted a lot more time and then there was water… I have very fun memories of LBP :D

P.S. If this discussion was restricted to shooters, I would say Unreal Tournament and after that Bad Company 2.

Fred Dutton 12 November, 2012 @ 3:33 pm

And here’s this week’s final winner. No shame in suggesting LBP – a really groundbreaking multiplayer title, I’d say.

Congratulations to everyone who secured a code – they’ll arrive as a PM to your account on the official forums at some point in the next 24 hours.

Everyone else – better luck next time! I’ll have more codes to hand out on Friday.

Tangerineroach 11 November, 2012 @ 10:38 pm   193

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is my pick. Its assymetric gameplay in Versus mode provided variety and resulted in a throughly unique experience and the Co-op campaign is unmatched to this day. I think multiplayer stealth has a lot of potential and no game realised it better that CT. I cannot wait to see what Blacklist will do with these formulas.

R3dC3llTran3 11 November, 2012 @ 11:06 pm   194

When I was a kid, I loved fighting games best. Street Fighter II was my fuc*ing jam — why, I once came in “best non-Asian in competition” at the local arcade’s round robin — but I played every other major entry in the genre, too, all the way up to the Guilty Gear series. Then that game let me kill a transvestite nun with an electric guitar solo, and I knew it was all downhill from there. I haven’t played since.

Although maybe that’s more due to online multiplayer replacing in-person multiplayer: That switch, from personal to digital, raised a whole host of problems. Not the least of which was the inability to punch your friends in the arm after defeating them, or to simply look deeply into their eyes when you tell them to suc* it. That eye contact was important, you know; how else could they see into your soul and know — truly and fundamentally understand at a cellular level — that you really, really, really thought they should suc* it?

One word: Worms.

The feeling when I hear the theme melody is still overwhelming even today. This game had everything: awesome graphics, unlimited replayability, solid controls and a funny, memorable idea. But what was best about Worms was the sheer joy of the multiplayer experience. Waiting on the edge of your seat for your friend to push the launch button. You never knew what was going to happen. Sometimes you made that one in a thousand shot, other times you failed miserably, although often with hilarious consequences. And the helium-voices… Perfect multiplayer game!

gtr455677ujbvxz4 11 November, 2012 @ 11:51 pm   196

Duke Nukem 3D.
Deathmatch over a LAN with your mates was awesome and you could also play co-op and this was in 1996 way before the current generic FPS games we’re subjected to. It was fresh and provided new ideas, Duke Nukem 3D was one of the first FPS games you could actually look up in. Yeah, old news now but at the time… The multiplayer maps also provided the option of playing vertically, another new feature. A lot of what you take for granted in the current FPS titles started in this game.
I’ve based my choice on the sheer amount of fun the game provided way back then and it was a close choice between this and Doom2. Another great game

SellKidz4Chips 12 November, 2012 @ 12:24 am   197

~ Copy & Paste If You Agree ~
As a sign of my frustration with the store and blog staff, And anger at the way we are treated and scammed I will be boycotting the store and convincing others to do the same until you show us the respect we deserve as your paying customers.
Examples being,
– Blog staff ignoring important or useful questions.
– Replying to the same questions, sometimes on the same page.
– Inability to provide us with information (TWD, CS:GO)
– Promoting content, then on release saying its delayed.
– Promoting deals that don’t work and don’t fix (Dead Island).
– Releasing Content, then announce a discount a week later (WWE13).
– 95% of the PS2 games are garbage, release good games.
– Charging ridiculous amounts for digital games.
– Charging more than the US Store, Content should be equally priced.
– Forced to have a Singstar icon on the XMB.
– Feel free to add more
- SINGSTAR
- SINGSTAR
- AND AGAIN SINGSTAR!!!!
In the words of the late Owen Hart
“Enough is enough and its time for a change”
~ Copy & Paste If You Agree ~
Try it, you might like it!!

For me the greatest multiplayer would be Killzone 2. It is the game that convinced me that online multiplayer was something that could be exciting, addictive and as interesting as single player. Even though I have since moved on it will always be the game that changed my opinion on online gaming.

ninenullseven 12 November, 2012 @ 3:20 am   199

Mortal Kombat. You know, the 2D one on PS1. That was epitome of multiplayer. Brutal, pizza and coke scattered couch competition. Maybe games of series was a bit disbalanced back in the day, so sometimes you’ve end up punching your real friend sitting next to you… But it had felt awesome none the less.
And all this online stuff… sitting alone in a cold dark room… Hell with it, memories almost making me calling everyone who had a pair of thumbs to get a championship like once we had in childhood. FATALITY!

thebluegaloo 12 November, 2012 @ 6:11 am   200

I think that micro machines 2 turbo tournament started it for mr the mega drive version the cartridge itself had two extra control ports and it enabled 4 players for the first time one mega drive without the adapter pure quality fun which is what I think multiplayer is all about

BaghDaddy 12 November, 2012 @ 8:28 am   201

Got to be Splinter Cell Chaos Theory on the PS2, nothing’s come close to the Spies Vs Mercs 2v2. Crawling through vents while being hunted by the mercs, most fun i’ve had on the PS2, i’d say SOCOM runs it close too, proper hardcore multi no regen no spawning, the way it should be.

Nothing beats a good couch multiplayer game .

A true classic in the genre is BOMBERMAN; simple in concept, but so much fun with a few friends to blow up.

Placing a bomb so your friend gets stuck and is blown up by his own bomb – oh the irony! – feels fantastic.

Or kicking your bomb with a perfect feel for timing so it explodes just when it passes your oblivious friend…

And when the timer is nearing it’s end and the playfield gets smaller & smaller… ooh the tension…

I’ve had a lot of laughs – and cursing! – with BOMBERMAN.

The greatest multiplayer game of all time? It just might be.

Well I know this isn’t Playstation related, so the chances of me scoring a code are practically nil, but the most fun co-op I ever had was playing Gauntlet II on the Amiga 500 with my mum when I was around 8 or 9 years old. She loved it, although we’d argue over item drops haha… She’d call food to increase your health ‘dinner’ – so the games were often punctuated with her yelling things like: “Get the dinner!” or “Hands off that’s my dinner!” Magic potions were called “Po’s” too lol… Good times.

For me – without any doubts – it would be Burnout Paradise. The ease with which you can slip in and then again out of the online mode – never saw a more simple way in any other online game. The amount of fun, all the good time spent completeng all the group challenges, pure joy of crashing others, a HUGE amounts of add on DLCs (many of them being free – Criterion shows the way it should be, many other developers should be ashamed of themselves for releasing the day one payed DLCs). I remember when the online demo came on Store – everybody was racing it again and again (the part around the beach) and even long time after the game was released you can still recognize those who spent countless “practising” hours on the beach in the demo. And all those 6 – 8 player challenges on the airport – jumping through the loops and the Joy when last player finally got it … GOOD ALL DAYS! There was always a good community around this game and even after the years from it’s release and completing every single trophy and challenge in all modes and DLC I still come back to this game to have some fun here and there. Can’t say this about any other game from those (many MANY) I own.

And trailing very closely after that is the whole Everybody’s Golf series. I have every single game in that series from PS1 to PS3 including the PSP and Vita version as well as Japanese (Mina golf) ones – looking forward to 22.11.12 to release of Mina Golf 6 on PS3! This game (in both local as well as with later versions online multiplayer) gives unlimited hours of fun and the small but tight community around this game can’t be compared to any other I know of. Till know I remember the long nights spent with familly and friends playing (local) multiplayer games on PS1 and later on on PS2. This game might be deceiving to many by it’s “childish” cartoony look comparing to Tiger Woods and similar but that can’t more far from true. It’s actually fairly chalenging and it’s relaxed athosphere adds to the great enjoyement of the game.

And least but not last is the whole series of LBP (LBP1, LBP2, LBPv and even not so strong LBP on PSP). What an amazaing game concept a a SUPERB community surrounding those games.

I can say (seeing the whole spectrum games being named here by others) that (any) good online game is by large parte created by it’s supporter – the community drives those most.

S-o-h-a-i-l 12 November, 2012 @ 3:34 pm   206

A whole page of answers missed (not saying you skipped them Fred) :(

Too many answers lowered my chances lol.

Fred Dutton 12 November, 2012 @ 3:41 pm

Sorry – seems like it was a popular debate this week and I can only scrape together so many codes! Next time, eh?

grimbarian 12 November, 2012 @ 3:41 pm   207

A great debate this week – nice to actually have lots of differing opinions.

One small quibble though @Fred – only 9 winning notifications?

grimbarian 12 November, 2012 @ 3:53 pm   208

Lol @Fred – no worries.

Congratulations to all winners… Some really great games mentioned in this thread.

If there’s any you haven’t played – you’re missing out. Find them now.

Shadow-Man_EU 12 November, 2012 @ 4:06 pm   209

WHOA! Thanks alot for choosing me as a winner, I was eagerly waiting to put my hands on When Viking’s Attack! Seriously surprised, thanks a ton!

Now, where will I receive my code? :D

Shadow-Man_EU 12 November, 2012 @ 4:21 pm   210

Thanks Fred!

Since you’re bad at Uncharted MP, you can always add me on my original account – Shadow-Man_4 – and we can play some Uncharted 3 MP. It is AWESOME.

I’ve got a few Naughty Dog friends, so I wouldn’t mind having you too (unless you do :( )! :)

Shadow-Man_EU 12 November, 2012 @ 4:25 pm   211

Oh wait, it’s the Vita version? :( I thought it’s a PS3 one.

Fred Dutton 12 November, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

Hmmm… should work on both systems – it’s Cross-Play. Let me know if not. Feel free to add me BTW – my ID is Chuck_FD.

bidbaldwolf86 12 November, 2012 @ 4:31 pm   212

Thanks Fred

Good to see someone who appreciates classic Goldeneye gameplay and the tiny assassin that was Oddjob. I’ve got my code already and I will download it tonight.

Thanks again :)

Shadow-Man_EU 12 November, 2012 @ 4:32 pm   213

Okay, just got it. Downloading both versions now, will PM you on PS3 if it doesn’t work.

Thanks.

Thanks for the code! Looking forward to trying it out.

My favorite online game “was” Metal Gear Solid Online(2)