Posted 16 November

Weekend Debate – First person shooters: love ‘em or hate ‘em?

I’m going to go out on a limb and hazard a guess that many of you will be playing Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 this weekend. Please enjoy – I hear it’s a really strong entry in the series.

It’s amazing to witness a COD launch these days – it’s become a truly massive event in the entertainment calendar, and one that garners attention far outside the standard gaming media. No doubt we’ll hear extraordinary stats from Activision in the next week or so, revealing the staggering amount of players who’ve picked up the game this year.

Indeed, the first person shooter as a genre has becoming a dominant feature in the gaming landscape, in the same way that, say, platformers were in the ’80s and early ’90s. That said, there are plenty of gamers out there who just don’t get the appeal of the FPS. I wouldn’t quite put myself in that camp, but I certainly struggle to get into the majority of them.

So, your debate topic this week:

Do you love shooters? If so, why? Similarly, if you hate them, explain yourself!

I’ve got an apt prize on offer this week. The 10 most thoughtful posts get a download code for Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified on PS Vita. For more on the handheld entry in the franchise, see our recent interview with developer Nihilistic Software and check out the trailer below.

If your response is picked by our judges and you’re not a fan of the genre, I can offer a When Vikings Attack! code instead. Either way, good luck!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

194 Comments 16 Author replies
Show oldest first

I really love FPS games. I know that many people hate them today because of COD, but then why do people still play it? The campaign, the story and the multiplayer of FPS games have become more and more epic with each iteration. COD for example everytime blows my mind, campaign and singleplayer. BF3 has an amazing multiplayer mode and so does MOHW. I am still waiting for Far Cry 3 which looks “INSANE”. FPS has been with us for a long time and I think that it will stay with us forever and this is a good thing!

I like to image every single ‘helghast’ I meet is my boss so I can get rid of my days stress

Simply put shooters are a great genre as the tension you get from playing a game and relying almost purely on skill and deication to a game. This is even greater when you add in the team work aspect. Adding in the combination of splitscreen and online is the real fun aspect and I’ve enjoyed coop, team play and death match on many games. Uncharted 2 is still probably my fave this gen, although the CoD games have really revolutionalised the genre adding in great coop modes in spec ops and zombies. Shooters are generally the easiest to pick up and play for my friends to. Also i have to mention timesplitters because I want it to have a sequel or Hd collection.

Fred Dutton 19 November, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

Right, time to announce some winners! First BLOPS Vita code here. Yep, I can fully get behind any game that prioritises skill and hard graft. Even if that leaves me out in the cold when it comes to online play – I stink at FPS!

I’m not a huge fan of First Person Shooters, apart from Call of Duty multiplayer because, as my friends are not huge gamers, this is the one game they will all play and it brings some of the best times playing with friends rather than just random players.

bidbaldwolf86 16 November, 2012 @ 5:10 pm   5

I like shooters but they aren’t my main gaming genre. That being said, shooters are good to have a blast on with multiplayer for a few hours. I never really get shooters for their story lines as the campaigns are usually very short but the online aspect is what has been worked on and is generally very good.

I may get flamed for this but the best online multiplayer experience I have had this gen has to be from CoD Black ops (I’ve yet to get the second). The modes and extras engaged me far more than any other shooter and were varied enough to keep me coming back. That’s a good sign that it has been done well

ryannumber3gamer 16 November, 2012 @ 5:14 pm   6

I wouldn’t say i would be a person who ‘loves’ FPS’ as i’m more of a platiformer fan but i do like and respect FPS’. I love Team Fortress 2 and the Cod games are very good and i have every one for PS3. I would be more of a Jak & Ratchet & Sly kind of fan but i do like Cod. It has a mix of different game modes and it has both multiplayer and World at War and Black Ops 1 & 2 has co-op and i love the new Tranzit mode in Black Ops 2 for Zombies. But it is also a lot of fun to play with friends. I love playing Zombies with friends because of how many funny moments you can have when they get scared by something or when you are all trapped in one room and are panicking about how you are going to get out. Multiplayer mode is loads of fun too, it’s always fun to get a load of kills and level up and unlock new stuff. Black Ops 2 has been loads of fun so far and i’m loving the new modes and story in it :D. So i would not say i love FPS’ but i really really like playing the games :)

Fred Dutton 19 November, 2012 @ 2:21 pm

And another winner here. Agreed – zombies is a great play-with-friends mode, up there with FIFA.

jakster123x 16 November, 2012 @ 5:15 pm   7

Personally i do enjoy first person shooters but a lot of problems are arising nowadays that pretty much everyone’s aware of now – the modern day/ slightly-in-the-future military shooter.

As soon as Infinity Ward made CoD4 everyone stood up and took notice and it’s being emulated to this day, but no progress is being made. There’s a stealth section, you’ll snipe for a bit, have a go on the stationary MG, we’ll shout some military jargon at you for a second now. Come on.

Of course, games like Borderlands break the mould and are successful at doing so, but the majority don’t. Basically, First Person Shooters are enjoyable, but more TimeSplitters, Mirror’s Edge and Borderlands, and less CoD clones, please.

i didnt like FPS at first. i tried some, like half life, but never quite got the hang of it. i felt like my vision was very limited and i didnt really know what was going on around me. having grown up with the tomb raider series, i was sure i only liked third person games.

somewhat surprisingly, this changed with fallout 3. in fallout 3, you can switch between first- and third person view. of course, i put it on third person view and only sometimes, when needed, switched to first person. or so i thought! one day i played for hours and hours until i suddenly realized i had only been playing first person all the time! (and that if was 4 a.m.) i had gotten completely sucked in, i had felt like i was ‘in the game’ like never before. i didnt think about this being a game or what perspective i was playing with. i just walked around in the world fighting monsters, no questions asked.

i realized that when it comes to diving into the atmosphere of a game, first person can mean a great deal. so i got myself to trying more first person games, and came to love deus ex: human revolution. and now, thanks to ps+, i started playing crysis 2 and am having a wonderful time!

Fred Dutton 19 November, 2012 @ 2:26 pm

The shooters I enjoy tend to be the ones with interesting or unusual gameplay systems, such as Mirror’s Edge or Crysis – which you pick out here. Great game. And I’ve got a special relationship with Fallout 3 as it lets me blow up my old Washington DC stomping grounds! Anyway, BLOPS code for you.

Coody-Baroody 16 November, 2012 @ 5:21 pm   9

I have to say that with shooters, FPS shooters anyway, i love AND hate them. Some of my greatest gaming memories have been on shooters. Like exploring Rapture for the first time on Bioshock, sailing up river in Vietnam to the Rolling Stones classic ‘Sympathy for the Devil’ (WOO WOO) in the first Black Ops. I have NEVER played a more atmospheric or entertaining level before or since, it was better than ANY scene in ANY Vietnam movie. So authentic.

Also, it was a shooter that really got me into gaming seriously. First playing DOOM nearly 20 years ago has always been a fond memory of mine.

But, at the same time, fps shooters can be the wrong type of experience for me, especially when going online in games like Call of Duty. There seem to alot more young kids playing these games online than other games and all you seem to get is abuse, foul language or forced to listen to their music theyve got playing.
Thats not the games fault as such I know but its still one of the main reasons i dont play online unless there are online trophies (of course)

So yeah, on the whole I have to say I love fps shooters, it is the most popular genre at the minute for a reason i think.

I love shooters. But then I love most genres of games. My issue with shooters at this moment in time though is how lazy developers have got. Take the new Call of Duty for example. It will sell by the millions – Activision know this. Treyarch know this. Very little thought has gone into making it an epic experience .. something an FPS needs to do.

Just look back at some of the real classics. Newer games don’t do that.

So yes, I love shooters. Love them. Just wish the developers would love them as much when making them.

I guess I love shooters for two main reasons.

They make me feel skilled. Executing a series of headshots in quick succession in any game is enough to make you feel like a badass. Online and off, it can take a lot of time to learn what your favourite weapon is and to reach your peak. But these games are often well balanced to make them accessible, so that any gamer can play and have fun.

The competitive nature of the genre when it comes to online, and the sometimes vast feature set these games have when it comes to splitscreen, co-op and many different multiplayer modes, is perhaps unrivaled when compared to other genres of games. Squad features, objective based modes and clans make it easy to play with friends or set up communities, which is where these games shine and means you get a lot of life out of them.

On the other hand, I hate shooters for ‘art’ reasons. The stories are often blockbuster type stuff, which is fine when you just want to chill out and play. However, many of the games are very similar in art style, music as well as story, so you can be left with a bit of ‘genre fatigue’, and such a large chunk of a games shop is taken up with games that are sometimes not very distinct from each other.

doomsday619 16 November, 2012 @ 5:25 pm   12

I like FPS but lately they are getting too samey. Each trying to copy each others ideas and not bringing anything original to the table.
I know World War 2 was over used last gen but i begging for it to make a comeback one of my favorite FPS games has to be Brothers In Arms Hells Highway.

Also to add to the above, I’m hopeful that as we move into the next gen we see more creativity in the genre (or even more FPS/RPG hybrids which I love!) and continuing support of features like splitcreen, co-op and MP so that the genre can stay interesting.

The FPS is one of the most important and memorable genres for me, i remember the day i first played wolfenstein 3d years ago, then the experience of playing the first doom online in 93/94 was mind blowing at the time and will always be remembered as one of my greatest gaming experiences ever, my top most influential shooters for me would have to be the likes of half life 2, goldeneye 007, perfect dark, quake 3, halo CE and doom

CometOnFire 16 November, 2012 @ 5:27 pm   15

I neither love or hate them. But then again I can really fall in love with fps if the stuff is right, and really hate the fps genre if the stuff is not there. For me to make an epic shooter game, there has to be some sort of meaning in it. Like a feeling of choice and consequence of your actions, so you don’t feel it’s just a mindless shooter. The story must a heart og be well thought out. I think too many shooter are just rushed throught, to give a quick fix. Mixing up the genres are always a plus in my book. For instance the rpg and shooter genre is a great mix. So I often demand a lot from a shooter game, for it to stick with me. And shallow loke-a–likes is being avoided

bennyrafal 16 November, 2012 @ 5:29 pm   16

i really liked only two titles Killzone 3 and Spec Ops The Line
great story, ZERO mindless killing.

Neither do I love them nor hate them. What I dislike is the game industry’s habit to focus on very few kind of games.

What is to like about all big budget titles relying on very few popular genres and game mechanics? Especially when all the money, time and manpower involved results in lacklustre copycat products? Innovation and creativity are scarce among shooters, they all rely on the same basics with very few characteristic differences.

But to be honest, all that isn’t a problem of the genre. Not even a specific problem of the games industry. Just watch Hollywood, TV or Music industry. Literature is pretty much the only exception in entertainment, where creative minds still rule over commerce.

So back to the shooters, they are as good, if not better, than any other genre out there. Their insane popularity, economic success and its results, there are the problems.

Chazzman476 16 November, 2012 @ 5:31 pm   18

I like shooters, I prefer 3rd to 1st person; and they are always better the more mobility and realistic the experience is. Like the COD games are for the most part incredibly realistic and easy to control, but a game like the first Resistance doesn’t fall into this category for obvious reasons.
At the same time, I always feel that they skimp on the story in shooters, obvious exceptions being things like Uncharted and Resistance; and with the market the way it is, it’s always a safe bet to make a shooter, as long as you can give it an entertaining story, relate-able characters and some type of gimmick that makes it stand out from the crowd; like special powers on the Bioshock series, dismemberment over head shots on Dead Space and even the ridiculously powerful weapons available throughout the Ratchet and Clank games.

I admit im not a HUGE fan of fps’s as most of the ones I have seen/played are just games that are dedicated for multiplayer (not my thing)as I’m a story man and love fps’s that make me keep that controller glued to my hands till I finish it :D

Ones I do enjoy like far cry 2 are great (if not a little buggy) as what I liked about that game was the way you could wonder off into the wilderness and do whatever you wanted to do and it was fun. Same with the fallout series thats if they count as a FPS? im not sure but I like once again how they let you go off and do your thing in a open area.

Hopefully at some point when the price is right, is to catch up on some games like Borderlands 1 as I heard it was a great FPS and would fit my gaming interests greatly :)

I hate First person shooters because I really hate first person view in any game .. I like seeing my character and not just his hands & weapons

A_Nonny_Moose 16 November, 2012 @ 5:36 pm   21

I don’t like FPS games for the simple reason that I seem to be the only person in the world who’s rubbish at them. The only Call of Duty I’ve played is World at War, and parts of the campaign were close to fantastic, but I couldn’t even beat it on the easiest setting, honest to God. I got that part where you have to storm the Japanese castle and all the Japanese troops kept popping out of holes and kamikaze-ing me to death. Couldn’t get past it. What makes it worse is that my little sister really likes Call of Duty and is much better at it than me.

Similarly I recently got the chance to play Stranger’s Wrath, after a long break from the Oddworld series because I never had an Xbox. I got stuck at either the 2nd or 3rd boss and couldn’t get any further. Not a bad game but I was very bad at it.

So my totally unbiased reason for not liking first person shooters is that whenever I play them I just end up feeling emasculated. >_>

TalllPaul 16 November, 2012 @ 5:37 pm   22

I love shooters probably for the same reason I love action films, not necessarily the best storyline in the world but it is full of explosions, action, car chases etc which keeps me very entertained.

Out of FPS and third-person I prefer FPS games as they are more immersive when playing the game, especially through single player. Third Person are too hit and miss it seems and something which I can find annoying in third-person shooters is the camera angle and switching to shoulder to shoulder, don’t get me wrong there are good 3PS games like SOCOM but they are few and far between.

extermin8or_ 16 November, 2012 @ 5:38 pm   23

Well I like some FPS’s personally I’m more of a story guy my this generation in particular I’ve found that to an extent games now tell gripping narratives, self. fc FPS’s are clearly important and some often have great storylines. However multiplayer is where it’s at for FPS’s The view point of 3rd person games is cooler though I just love being able to see say Nathan drakes animations as he KO’s a character or climbs something.

Personally the more niche a fps the higher it’s quality probably due to restrictions developer’s working on existing IP’s have to follow old rules that they made up then if thy don’t want to you it’s their decision. Resistance 3 was worst selling of all resistance games yet the best by quite abit, but fps’s are suited to the multiplayer arena more so than third person games, the view point makes it easier/faster to react and get engrossed. However we do need more unique FPS’s that sell well because atm COD however good BO2 may be is starting to go abit stale and in time will need a total overhaul with everything new from scratch or a new game will have to take it’s place.

ExtremeGamer1995 16 November, 2012 @ 5:38 pm   24

I was going to get the new medal of honour but decided last minute that multiplayer fps games are boring. If I buy one I have to deal with people online (you know what I mean) and I always get tired of playing it quickly, even Battlefield 3. I then decided to stop buying fps’s they were just a waste of money, and then I remembered far cry 3. So yes I hate fps but only if they’re meant to be played online; single player ones are often better: half-life, deus ex, far cry. I can only think of 3 and they’re all great every fps game seems to be a multiplaer shooter and short single player.

‘TimeSplitters 2′ :P Was the best FPS for me. ‘KillZone 1/2/3′ i loved to but i find it boring playing COD online endlessly killing nobodies on the internet :D Nothing beats 4 player split-screen like the TS games did so well;)

element666 16 November, 2012 @ 5:40 pm   26

I used to love them,reliving stress after a hard day, but now struggle to enjoy them,I prefer a more rewarding experience with an RPG of somesort. I do play a few matches now and again though!

Rasmusjor1986 16 November, 2012 @ 5:41 pm   27

I love FPS, but i hate the fact that people can’t play a game without perks and special abillities – Im from the 90′ where CS was born, and it is all about skills, and only 1 chance. no respawn until everybody is dead. That is a real FPS! – that’s why im frustrated about CS:GO aint coming yet ;D

No skills, go home and practice! ;)

hey fred nice topic and one i feel i have shared my thoughts on quite a few times.

i personally cant get into fps games as a whole, i have tryed many times with modern fps games but they just never seem to take hold of me and i think this could be for many reasons.

first i suck at them online, yes thats right im happy to admit i have zero skill and my reflexes suck when it comes to online games and in singleplayer i stand in the open like im rambo and go into fits of rage when i keep dying lol.

i also feel they lack personality and its all generic war type settings which again just seems to do nothing for me :(

i used to enjoy playing games such as alien trilogy on ps1 (prob due to the fact i love alien)
i loved timesplitters 2 and i played the full thing co-op with my wife and we both loved it (this game had a great style and it was good fun)
i also enjoy borderlands but again this is not just a typical fps game.

tbc

Fred Dutton 19 November, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

Yep, agreed. More diverse backdrops are always welcome! Far Cry 3 looks like it might deliver in that regard…

Anyway, congrats, code for you.

i say this alot on here i really want to like these games more as all my friends always play them and they look at me like i have the plague or something when i tell them i don’t like these type’s of games.

if im being totally honest i think the main reason for me not liking them is i suck and i don’t like to spend my hard earned cash on games i suck at so its a catch 22 situation really if i dont buy them and play them ill never get better and ill never start to like them.

V00D00CHARL1E 16 November, 2012 @ 5:47 pm   30

It depends how they are done. I’m a huge fan of ‘most’ FPS games, purely due to the feeling of actually being that person. But FPS as a genre can be divided up into many different catagories, again, each with varying degrees of success. Personally, I loved Mirrors Edge, not necessarily because of the execution, but what it was trying to achieve. Can this ‘style’ of FPS be put into the same catagory as games such as Borderlands, Doom, BF3, Duke Nukem, etc. All FPS games, all different styles, all with different appeal to different gamers.

Opt1mus76 16 November, 2012 @ 5:50 pm   31

I do enjoy FPS games now but that hasn’t always been the case. Prior to the PS3, Timesplitters was the only one that has really grabbed my attention.
When I got my PS3 I automatically bought Resistance hoping it would take FPS to a new level but whilst it was good, it wasn’t outstanding.
After seeing some reviews I decided to try CoD4:Modern Warfare. I was blown away but I was still wary of online so never ventured into it. I tried few other shooters whilst still staying within the comfort of solo campaigns. It was only when a few friends also bought Modern Warfare 2 that I finally gave in and joined them online. Wow! It changed my whole perspective of online games and FPS games. I’m still not very good but the competitive nature and the ranking system meant I was/am always trying to attain the next rank. The addition of human enemies makes it so much more challenging than the CPU.
Its not for everyone but its certainly a popular genre and shooters are dominating this generation. I don’t mind though because there’s some really good ones out there. Whether FPS games will maintain their dominance into the next gen remains to be seen but I won’t complain if the quality remains this high

Fred Dutton 19 November, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

Man, another Weekend Debate littered with Timesplitter love. I approve :)

Another code winner here!

supersmith2500 16 November, 2012 @ 5:57 pm   32

If I have to choose Call of Duty or Id Software’s shooters, I would have to go with Id Software’s FPS games because Doom is one of my most favourite shooters of all time and it still defines a classic. You just run to the exit shooting down hordes of hellspawn such as demons and zombies in your way before they get you. I have to say the class FPS were way better than the moderns we got now. Duke 3D, Quake, Wolfenstein 3D you name them. While I like the modern shooters as well, one thing that bugged me is the 2-weapon limit and many FPS had that formula such as CoD. Having 4 weapons is fine but 2 is just out of the question. To be honest, FPS games from the 90′s were WAY better than modern FPS.

Causton97 16 November, 2012 @ 5:58 pm   33

The thing that I love about FPS games is the variety that they offer. Some of them aren’t strictly fps games, they’re just games that can be played in a first person view!

One of the best examples of this is Fallout – offering a brilliant storyline, exploration of a massive game world and some quality missions, it has to be one of the best games to grace consoles this generation. Far Cry 3 will be launching soon and it looks much the same, exploration of a huge game world, quests, a great story! It seems very much a spiritual successor to Fallout!

Some of these games aren’t even focused on multiplayer or co-op at all. It just goes to show that you don’t need to be Call of Duty to offer a great FPS experience!

supersmith2500 16 November, 2012 @ 6:00 pm   34

@Fred
Oh and if I win the debate, give me the When Vikings Attack code instead because I played on COD:BO Declassified and I hated it. Did you not know that the metacritic for it is 29%?

chrisboers 16 November, 2012 @ 6:03 pm   35

I don’t hate FPS as such, but I do hate the entire scene that comes with it. First of all, I don’t play competitive Multiplayer games at all, because, as a father, husband and employee, I simply don’t have the time to get good enough to compete with those fully dedicated to the genre.
Second, I have to admit, that I I’m really not that good at it at all, so even with a lot of practice, I would still finish last.
Third, the very concept of FPS makes me literally seasick. I can’t stand to play it on a big screen for longer than an hour or so.
Still, I DO like the Single Player part of the genre. I’ve played all CoD games, Farcry, Crysis, and Battlefield, but mostly the Single Player. I also have CoD: BO2, but I’ll take my time to finish the SP of that one.

So, I don’t ‘hate’ it, it’s just that I’m not dedicated enough for the online part of it.

That said, the smaller screen of the PSP/Vita happens to be quite good to not suffer from seasicknes (I played Battlefield on the PSP a lot), so I’m definitely open to getting a CoD Black Ops Declassifies key! It would be a nice breather for my forced BO2 downtime :-)

I used to love FPS when I could play 4 player splitscreen (it seemed to require more skill and strategy than modern “twitch shooters”)but having a family means my game time is limited so i much prefer an original and exciting single player experience as even with all the levels and perks of modern multiplayer I need more of a solid feeling of progression. I would take issue with the apparent “cloning” of fps games but I only play the ones I’m interested in and there are plenty of other games if I want something different.

yorkypud1976 16 November, 2012 @ 6:13 pm   37

personally in 50/50 on FPS games, single player i enjoy the genre but online for me gets a big thumbs down. For me games such as COD have always had a extremely steep learning curve and the constant abuse and name calling down my headset ruin any fun i may be getting from the game. Sure getting a kill can be fun but it usually involves me suffering countless deaths and respawns before i get one and i’ll end up with the lowest score in the game 99.9% of the time. I kno most people relish in the challenge but its not for me so i’ll stick to my single player mode and my online passes for these games will stay untouched in the box

This is a very interesting debate, and I’m looking forward to reading the different comments.

For me, this question is too simlified. I can’t think of a single genre where I hate every game, or a genre where I love every game. Saying “I love FPS” is almost like saying “I love food”. If someone told me that, I would ask; “Okay.. Which FPS do you love?”.

Because FPS has indeed become such a broad genre due to its popularity. You will find atmospheric RPG FPS games like Fallout, addicting multiplayer games like Battlefield and Call of Duty, open world predator like action from Crysis, and everything in between. You even have completely different takes on the genre with incredible puzzle experiences such as the Portal series. You will also find a fair share of games that didn’t quite captivate everyone in the way the developers had hoped.

Considering you probably want an answer, I would say I’m leaning more to the love it side. FPS games have been a great innovator in recent years in terms of multiplayer, atmosphere and graphics.

I especially admire the games made by Valve, Crytek and DICE!

GarethUbuntu 16 November, 2012 @ 6:32 pm   39

I love First Person Shooters. Why? Because of the immmersion. First Person Viewpoints in general provide the most immersive gameplay experience. You no longer play as a character, you become the character. You become immersed in the world around you, seeing it from a limited perspective. In first person Gordon Freeman, Adam Jensen, Alex Mason, Soap McTavish, Corvo Atano and many others no longer exist because you have become them. Thier backstory is thrown away and you get to start anew. It’s this beauty of seeing, living and exploring a world from a human perspective that makes first person shooters and other games with a first person perspective appealing and wonderful.

I love Fps ! I buy most of them and i platinum all of them :)
Since i first got my pc and started to play quake 3 to today, just after getting off from work and starting up my ps3 with Black ops 2.
It’s something that envelopes you and entangles you in to the world that you dive in to.
It’s something that for me it differentiates itself from third person shooters. You can’t be the character. It’s not immersion unless it’s fpp .
People hate fps because it’s popular, but it’s popular because it’s the best way to show you the game.

I LOVE THEM! why? Because you can do what you cant do in real life, T-BAG COD kids :D (after shooting them in the brain of course)

dezzaranks 16 November, 2012 @ 6:45 pm   42

How can you not like FPS games.After a hard day at work/school,or what ever else you do during the day,and with everything life can throw at you,coming home,tapping your ps button on your controller and loading up your favourite FPS(mine is and will always be MAG) and killing some ‘red-dots’…Although this was not always the case as i came from a sports gaming background,but wont be returning any time soon.

Ever since Doom I have absolutely adored first person shooters. I find the viewpoint really immerses me in the game and this generation has spoiled me rotten with FPS after FPS… and that became the problem. They all felt the same after a while, I started to find them becoming stale and felt I’d been there, done that too often. I had completely over-dosed and needed a break.

The break has done me good. In the space of a few weeks I have thoroughly enjoyed Doom 3 and Modern Warfare 3 (a bit late to the party). With both of those I felt the old feelings start to surface but I’m being careful, I don’t want to fall into the same trap.

vonhammer 16 November, 2012 @ 6:48 pm   44

I love the perspective,but bored with the modern military shooter.I really hope SOE can get planetside 2 on the next PS hardware with no compromise a launch.

How can you not want to play this day one on a systems launch.

Nazar_Ops 16 November, 2012 @ 6:50 pm   45

I gotta admit, i do love shooters. But for me, FPS games starting to get bad rumors and getting bashed, and i am one of them. Why? Because games like COD makes me so mad. Ever since MW2 came out, it was an huge success and it changed the gaming industry.

Sure, everybody wants to make an successful FPS game. But things dont go that way. Other developers (including First Party Devs for PS3) are infected by the COD cancer. They remove the good things out of their games and trying to make their games similar to COD.

Its ok if they made a tad similarity to COD. But no, they remove server browsers, custom servers and so on. And those are the good stuff about the FPS games, like Killzone 2 for example. I think Killzone 2 is very unique and it has it own style. The Multiplayer is customizable and you can set your own rules.

But then Killzone 3 came out. And it was a disapointing sequel. Every good thing about Killzone has taken out. Server list, Custom servers etc..

I’ve gone from love to hate, I loved the old days of quake and unreal tournament. I think they have largely been ruined for me this gen by people commentating while they play and the fact that I just don’t have the time anymore to be good at multiplayer. However i Can be drawn in by a good single player. I really enjoyed bulletstorm

I’m not crazy about 95% of FPS because they all do the same thing. However, I don’t hate them since I know a lot of people only play FPS and get a great deal of enjoyment out of them. My only problem with them (or maybe shooters in general) is that the breadth/range of games has decreased to make room for it. Now granted, this could be a faze like the anthropomorphic platformer craze of the 90′s, but I often feel like instead of using the gameplay type as a mode of delivery for a game. It is where developers start and build a game from that. I.E. we’re going to build an FPS versus we’re going to build this game and it would work best as an FPS. For me it’s all about storyline and how the gameplay keeps me enthralled with that storyline. This is why I enjoy the Killzone series, the BioShock series, and the Borderlands series. Though having humor is great like in Borderlands or Duke Nukem.

Stonesthrow 16 November, 2012 @ 6:59 pm   48

I love FPS because the controlls are (supposed to be) responsive and accurate. This initially made this my favorite and most played action genre, and I used to averse from third person games for the lack of that responsiveness (thankfully Uncharted came around.) The immersion is another thing, it really makes you feel like you’re the character on screen, experiencing it all for yourself. On the other hand, I do think the TPS genre does a better job at character development, and you have more of a feel with the character because you constantly see him/her/it.

I personally love a good shooter, from the moment I began with Splinter Cell! They have a certain addictive characteristic that not many other genre’s have in the way that the online gameplay is never repetitive and the variety of skill and techniques required for missions and the insanely fun online gameplay that is unique to the shooter category! For me shooter’s provide a quick way to get an intense, crazily addictive gaming fix, with usually (For Both the COD games and Uncharted as they are two personal favourites!) both creative, story lines and simply brilliant, intense gameplay! The online and coop modes are closed to unrivalled in terms of the variety of game modes.

With playing Uncharted on Vita I can see why the hardware is just perfect for all game modes! The dual analog sticks just make portable FPS’s specifically just unbelievable! And that’s not taking into account the super gorgeous graphical capabilities, i’ve wanted to get Black Ops De-Classified, but couldnt, hopefully this may help :)

speeking of shooters please sony could you tell your support staff that not every 1 playes cod my ps3 froze yesterday thought it might be faulty so phoned sony told them about fault the first thing he says is its my cod game i thought realy thats funny i dont own 1 never will he also asked me how i like mp on cod I DONT OWN COD SO could u plz tell your staff this plz

Load all