Posted 2:00pm

DmC: Devil May Cry – demo and DLC detailed

3 (2)

Hello, Dominic Matthews here from Ninja Theory bringing you an update on DmC: Devil May Cry.

First off, I wanted to tell you about some DmC add-on content that we’ve just announced in the last few days. Called Vergil’s Downfall, it features six brand new missions, in new environments where you play as Dante’s twin brother Vergil.

5 (2)3

Vergil has his own unique combat system (if you know Vergil from the previous games you’ll recognise some of his signature moves) and the story, which is intertwined with the events of the main game, takes place in Vergil’s very own personal hell. Lovely!

You’ll also get to take on new enemies and upgrade Vergil’s combat as you play. Once you’ve completed all the new missions you’ll have four new difficulty modes to unlock including Son of Sparda and Vergil Must Die, both of which feature unique enemy waves and enemy behaviours that are different from those in the three default difficulty settings.

It will be available to buy if you wish for €8.99/£7.29, but if you pre-order the digital version of DmC: Devil May Cry on PSN in Europe or Australia you’ll get to download Vergil’s Downfall at no additional cost when it is released early next year. So if you like your add-on content meaty and you like it for free, pre-order DmC.

11 (2)

The second piece of news I wanted to give you is that the DmC: Devil May Cry demo will be available to download on PSN in Europe and Australia from tomorrow. The demo includes two missions – firstly, Under Watch, which takes place in the heart of DmC’s city streets, and secondly, Secret Ingredient, which is a boss battle against the adorable Succubus demon (you’ll see what I mean when you meet her!).

When you start the demo you’ll have the choice of three default difficulties to select from, but if you complete both missions on one of those three settings you’ll unlock the demo’s Son of Sparda mode. This presents the demo’s hardest challenge, featuring a unique set of tougher enemies and enemy waves to take on.

From the start of the demo Dante is equipped with his Rebellion sword, His Ebony and Ivory hand guns, his demonic axe the Arbiter and the angelic scythe Osiris. We wanted to give you a really good feel of how the combat plays so we’ve started you off with quite a few upgrades on all of the weapons in the demo too. Try my personal favourite, the Stinger (forward, forward, triangle). I’ve been stabbing demons in the eye with the Stinger for a couple of years now and I still get a kick out of it.

If you like the demo, pre-order the game on PSN and get Vergil’s Downfall for free. I’ll be taking your questions below – please fire away.

vergil_render_fullres

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

74 Comments 25 Author replies
Show oldest first

lazynick_111 20 November, 2012 @ 2:11 pm   1

Wow first on the thread. First off @dominic, great job with this. From what I’ve seen, this game looks incredible. This is the game I’m eagerly anticipating. Can’t wait for this to release tomorrow so i can give it a shot.

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

Thanks. We’re really proud of the game that we’ve put together. A lot of love and hard work has gone into it.

lazynick_111 20 November, 2012 @ 2:12 pm   2

Now i have to top up my wallet to get this game. PSYCHED!!!!!

chrisboers 20 November, 2012 @ 2:15 pm   3

Nice move to have the demo with an actual challenge (defeat two levels, and unlock a third one)! Also, the DLC deal is pretty nice for those that prefer buying digitally. Please don’t over-price the digital version compared to retail, like so many publishers do nowadays.

The graphics look pretty stunning, so I’ll definitely check out the demo when it arrives tomorrow!

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

Thanks, we added Son of Sparda mode to the demo to give people a taste of one of the harder difficulty levels in the game. Its tough, but there are tougher modes in the full game.

i stil waiting mh3 portabel hd on ps3 / vita
so stil them not release in europe them wil almost not get mi mony

only dragon´s dogma is one exception rest them kan keep so very sory Ninja Theory

no res
no dmc
untile i get mh game .

lazynick_111 20 November, 2012 @ 2:18 pm   5

I can see that. I have played all the games Ninja theory has created and have been a fan ever since heavenly sword. Devil may cry has always been my favorite game of all time, and it’s great to see the new direction here. A job well executed to you sir and the rest the studio.

heavenly sword = top , only littel bit short life span

i have noting against Ninja Theory
only against capcom.

not trying to be negative though, I am really looking forward to this game, enslaved was amazing and heavenly sword had great visuals, I just dont want to be ripped off.

I really disliked the DmC reboot at first. But have been keeping an close eye on the game from the start til now, and have to admit im really looking forward to it. It’s looking really good! Looking forward to try out the demo!

wait is this out already? Didn’t see anything and surprised DLC is out so soon.

I’am right now playing demo. Visual and game mechanic is very good. But characters and boss are not interesting at all. Especially scene with boss. It’s just about “[DELETED]you!”. Stupid.

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 2:28 pm   11

The demo isn’t quite out on PSN yet, but it due to be live in the US today, Europe and Australia tomorrow.

Unlike some other Day One Digital Game Experience(s) (or DODGE, I just made that up) this looks great. I hope it’s not stuck at the RRP like all the other DODGEs out there.

Looking forward to playing this DODGE.

Okay, I killed it already. :(

Does the game still contain that great Ninja Theory feel you guys are known for? Or is this something of a new direction?

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 2:34 pm

This is very much a Ninja Theory game. We’ve retained the things that we’re known for whilst building on them with smoother, deeper gameplay.

Dominic Matthews – I’am playing it on xbox 360.

When the dmc demo will be available for the U.S ps3 version?

Jamesyp00 20 November, 2012 @ 2:37 pm   16

That’s weird, my first comment never showed, the playstation app on android must be buggy.
I was asking if there was anywhere else we can pre-order from to get Virgil’s DLC? I feel the digital price is a bit much, This is a Day one buy so far, here’s hoping the demo is flawless!

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 2:39 pm

There will be pre-order offers including Vergil’s Downfall elsewhere. Keep an eye on facebook.com/devilmaycry for details

Silver-Seraphim 20 November, 2012 @ 2:38 pm   17

I had a chance to see DMC at Eurogamer this year, really nice art direction. You guys at Ninja Theory never fail to impress with the art style of your games, they are always stunning :).

Plus the combat is pretty good too. Can’t wait to try it without being glared at to get off the demo :D

Looking forward to this.

Ive been a Fan from the first one, and tbh, the first anouncments screens and teasers turned me away.

But progresivley, little bu little, ive been growing ampled for this, and now its definitly a day 1 for me!

I also appreciate the demo. It shows you have confidence in your games!

Unicronic 20 November, 2012 @ 2:40 pm   19

DMC looks excellent but as long as the PSN pre-order price is higher than retail pre-order I’m not touching it.

Could you explain why this is the case?

PSN is 49.99 GBP and Play.com is 39.99 GBP.

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 2:44 pm

Game publishers and console manufacturers need retailers to sell their games and consoles. Until digital distribution is the No.1 form of distribution, like in music, prices will remain consistent if not higher than boxed games.

RamboChunkyGun 20 November, 2012 @ 2:41 pm   20

Just played it on my Xbox and was greatly disappointed :/ it doesnt feel like DMC…

The combat is slow and looks rough instead of the fast smooth combat that was in the previous games and there is nothing in the game that resembles the stylish gameplay of DMC , No taunt , No lock on button.

I would of been alot more happier if this was a new IP instead of milking the name because nothing in the game is DMC the whole story is completely different. Yes its a reboot but you still keep core elements pof the story the same. Personalities of the characters are different and not mature like you said the story would be?

But the character names are the same so i guess that makes this a DMC game? The game will impress casual gamers who are just looking for a new hack and slash game but for a huge DMC fan like me , I was incredibly disappointed.

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 2:45 pm

Have you nailed a SSS in Son of Sparda mode? That’s pretty stylish if you can do it….

andrewsqual 20 November, 2012 @ 2:43 pm   21

Are Gamestop Ireland and UK the only place doing the Son of Sparda Edition? It’s listed on their websites.

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

Gamestop across Europe are offering it, as well as Micromania in France and EB Games in Australia.

Son of Sparda is real challenge! A lot of fun. Demon hunter was too easy.

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

Remember that the demo is a pretty early mission in the game and we’ve given you quite a generous chunk of upgrades.

Does this play like the old Devil May Cry games? Fast, stylish and action-y or like Heavenly Sword, slower but each hit feels more connected? I loved Heavenly Sword and I loved the older Devil May Cry games but this game confuses me :S Not going to get into how I dislike what you guys have done to Dante (I don’t mind his appearance so much compared to other things) but the gameplay and story is confusing, I want to like this but I don’t know much.

Also, is this game canon & if so, where does it fall in the storyline?

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 2:53 pm

DmC is fast, fluid and stylish.

The game is a reboot, so it is a good entry point for those new to the story, but those who know the previous games will be familiar with some themes and characters.

tiago-kun 20 November, 2012 @ 2:49 pm   24

Hi,

First of all, I should say I wasn’t very sold on the concept of the big changes you made on the character, but I wasn’t one of the raging ones either. Now, I can appreciate the concept and understand your reasons and agree with them, creative liberty should always be supported.

But the devil may cry series was more about the gameplay, and so are the questions I have:
1. Are the missions taken “straight from the game” or are more along the lines of a showcase demo?
2. In the final game, does it have secret missions like in the previous games? That for me, really extended the game besides the difficulty settings.

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 2:52 pm

1. The missions are not exactly the same as they are in the game, but are very similar.

2. Yes, there are secret missions in the full game. And there are a few secrets in the demo.

Also, Dominic, I have noticed you have been replying to most comments, even negative ones, very commendable and refreshing. Your boss should give you a gold star ;)

vonhammer 20 November, 2012 @ 2:53 pm   26

Ahhh,I see.Also just noticed

“The reason that we’re telling you about this add-on content before the main game is even out is not because it’s finished (because it’s not, there is still a lot of work to be done!), but because we want to offer it to you for free when you pre-order DmC: Devil May Cry.”

First,is it day 1 DLC.

Can I ask why if it’s free,doesn’t everyone get it.Are you hoping people buy it day one and not at a reduced price.Is supposed to combat used sales.

I never understand why this is done.As a consumer it looks bad,”hey order at this store and you get content”.If I was selling this I’d say “Hey,not only can we bring you the main game,but we also had spare resources and created an extra mini campaign”

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

Vergil’s Downfall is not day 1 DLC. It will come out some time after the launch of DmC: Devil May Cry.

Its free when you pre-order because we want to encourage people to pre-order the game. If you don’t want to pre-order and but still play the DLC you can buy it separately.

Dominic – how much is there a keys in the demo? I was find 2 bronze and 1 silver.

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 3:00 pm

You can see on the Mission Complete screens how many keys there are. Finding the keys is one thing, finding the doors is another.

LunarLegendX 20 November, 2012 @ 2:58 pm   28

the DmC demo allows you to accumulate both upgrade points and red orbs. is there any way to spend them during the demo? is there anything we can do with either during the demo besides accumulate more?

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 3:01 pm

There is nothing you can do with the upgrade points in the demo I’m afraid. They are just there to show you how you will accumulate them in the main game.

1.Its not that “fast” compared to 3/4
2. With half the frame rate its not as fluid. Animations look rough.
3.Its not stylish when you can repeat the same two moves over again and get a decent rank.

CONFIRMED DOWNGRADE AND COMPLETELY CASUALISED
There is no need for this to be a DMC game. Should of been a new Ip.

vonhammer 20 November, 2012 @ 3:00 pm   30

“Until digital distribution is the No.1 form of distribution, like in music, prices will remain consistent if not higher than boxed games.”

I’m not trying to be picky :) I’m really interested in all this.It’ll affect my future as a gamer.In a closed environment like consoles,what’s stopping you selling at 59.99 when digital only is number one,it wont be retail.

And I can already see Sony,MSoft and others offering publishers cash for cheaper launches on one system over another.

As much as I love the pre-order incentive, will it also be available as a free bonus to physical copies (w/ preorder)? Mainly because it’s not really free in Australia or NZ with a digital pre-order… because of Sony’s pricing structure, digital games here are actually $10 more expensive than retail… that’d be the price difference of Vergil’s Downfall.

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 3:06 pm

Keep an eye out at retailers in your country for upcoming offers including Vergil’s Downfall.

zxRATTLExz 20 November, 2012 @ 3:04 pm   32

Since you have the cheek to hold back content from your game to sell as dlc before the game is out i will be buying your game pre-owned later next year. Can’t abide companies who do stuff like that. They don’t deserve my cash.

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

Its entirely your choice, but just to correct you we’re not holding back any content from the game.

A big chunk of the work on Vergil’s Downfall has taken place after the completion of DmC: Devil May Cry. It was never intended to be part of the main game and has always been a separate project.

It is 6 new missions, a new character, new combat and lots of replay value. Whether you pre-order and get it free or buy it separately I think it is a pretty good deal.

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 3:05 pm   33

You might be right, but I expect game prices to remain reasonably consistent with the current prices once there is a full move into digital. If anything, prices will go down.

DMC avatars on ps store please :-)

Complete demo on Son of Sparda. Well, it’s play fun. Need to buy.

Well I guess the ultimate question is, does it contain Andy Serkis? :p maybe as a lowly demon or something :D

After all he has become something akin to your wilhelm scream

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 3:17 pm

Andy Serkis isn’t in DmC. We didn’t work with him on this project, but he is still a good friend of the studio.

Falcon1991 20 November, 2012 @ 3:19 pm   37

+1 to the idea of DMC avatars on the store. If Ninja Theory feel like it then maybe Heavenly Sword and/or Enslaved too.

I’ve never played any of the previous DMC games but I know that they’re iconic to gamers. Having seen a fair deal of gameplay of DMC I defo like the style it has going so I’ll be downloading the demo tomorrow.

By the way, a hello to Oli the programmer, he’s my brother. :)

Dominic Matthews 20 November, 2012 @ 3:23 pm   38

Its a small world. Hi Oli’s brother!

Just wondering, will it be freely avaliable on PSN, or will it be only avalible to PSN plus subscribers (like it is on Live)?

Didn’t find info about attacks like: double tap forward + attack, in list of moves.

Nightmare966 20 November, 2012 @ 3:30 pm   41

Hi Dominic! I’m really impatient to try out the Demo. I must say that when DmC was first announced, I was one amongst the people who yelled “Who is that guy!? Where’s Dante?”

However, I’m now not that bothered about it, specially after seeing a few gameplay vids — Vergil’s one specially.

I’m not sure if it’s been commented or it’s something you guys have yet to announce, but as I’m sure you know, in past games there was a Bloody Palace mode. Is it back? Would Vergil be unlocked for it by purchasing the DLC?

On the other hand, I agree with some people’s opinions: The art style in this game is quite unique ans it’s really impressive and imaginative. Just remembered one screenshot of a giant head made of some kind of cubes or pixels.

So yeah, I hope the Demo is good and this becomes another title to look forward in 2013 :)

anybody who buys this game is making sure more original I.P get destroyed for quick profit just because off the name.

Once again, it’s nice to see so many replies. I have never played DmC before, but with the announcement of this demo and DLC, it’s giving me an incentive to pre-order.

zxRATTLExz 20 November, 2012 @ 3:37 pm   44

I appreciate the reply Dom and i understand that it is not ready for launch and that it can be obtained for free if i pre-order. However, like you say, it is my choice and it is my choice to boycott full price games that go down the dlc route. I would prefer companies to spend longer making the game and release all thier ideas in 1 package, like it was until this gen. If it was that the game was priced at around £10-£20 i would have no issue with dlc but £40-50 and then DLC ?? No way dude.

LunarLegendX 20 November, 2012 @ 4:03 pm   45

where would i go to leave feedback for the demo?

I’ll hot download on the US store in a minute, the game looks like a bundel of fun!

ukcrazyguy 20 November, 2012 @ 4:35 pm   47

Games not out yet and already has dlc planned, it’s just a pre order incentive. It’s just wrong in so many ways. What happened to buying a game complete eh

no thank you.. i’ll stick around with devil may cry 1, okami, bayonetta not to tell resident evil 2 for little while

anything but … this? wft is that dmc??!

EternalChaos72 20 November, 2012 @ 4:59 pm   49

dominic can we please get the DMC avatars? you should throw them into the processing stage now :)

@ ukcrazyguy

Every developer who is intending on publishing DLC for their game has it planned from the outset. It has to be budgeted for, scheduled, developed, tested and submitted. This isn’t done over a three month period once the game has launched, but part of the main development cycle.

Developers can’t win with some people.

They announce forthcoming DLC during the titles launch and they’re accused of cutting it from the main game.

They keep quiet and announce forthcoming DLC six months after the initial release, and they’re still accused of cutting it from the main game.

They choose to release any intended additional content free at the launch of their game, and they’re accused of not supporting a title with further DLC in the following months.

How would you suggest developers approach DLC?

Load all