Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 1:00pm

PlayStation Mobile developer program launches, download the SDK

We’re really excited to share with you the good news that we’re launching the PlayStation Mobile DevPortal today!

It’s never been easier to get your games and apps onto PlayStation, including PlayStation Certified mobile devices and PlayStation Vita. Featuring an easy-to-use SDK with flexible APIs, you could be getting your next game onto PlayStation Mobile sooner than you might have thought possible.

You’ll be able to sell your games on the PlayStation Store for PSM and reach millions of PlayStation gamers around the world with a PlayStation Developer Program Licence, available on an annual basis for just £65/€80.

PS mobile

The PlayStation Mobile SDK, available for download now, runs on your PC and allows you to test your code either in the provided simulator, or on a standard PlayStation Vita or PS Certified mobile device. That’s right, no expensive development hardware required!

The PlayStation Mobile Developer Program becomes available in the United Kingdom, United States, Japan, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Australia as of today. More countries and regions will follow in our phased roll-out, starting with Hong Kong and Taiwan.

With today’s launch of the PSM DevPortal, we now have over 30 exciting titles from developers of all sizes around the world available in the PlayStation Store for PlayStation Mobile. We’re sure your games will sit alongside them perfectly.

With a single codebase, you can reach all PlayStation Certified devices, including the PlayStation Vita, with no rebuilding necessary! Our partners have found the PSM SDK surprisingly mature and easy to make their games with. We’re sure you will too.

We look forward to seeing your creations on PlayStation Mobile soon!

Links:
PSM Service: http://uk.playstation.com/playstation-mobile/
PSM DevPortal: http://psm.playstation.net/portal

Note: PlayStation Store for PlayStation Mobile is currently available in Japan, United States, United Kingdom, Canada, France, Italy, Germany, Spain and Australia.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

50 Comments 21 Author replies
Show oldest first
chrisboers 20 November, 2012 @ 1:05 pm   1

This line: “We’re working hard to extend the already wide reach of PlayStation Mobile by adding more and more devices to the growing list of PlayStation Certified devices.”

should actually read

“We’re working hard to extend the already wide reach of PlayStation Mobile by adding more and more counties to the growing list of PlayStation Certified countries.”

Come on, more countries for PSM, please…

Shahid Ahmad 20 November, 2012 @ 1:54 pm

You’ll be pleased to know that we are working on adding more countries too. Watch this space and thanks for your patience.

almighty-slayer 20 November, 2012 @ 1:07 pm   2

Great stuff.

Now hurry up and add PSN integration :P

Shahid Ahmad 20 November, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

PSN integration, like trophies and leaderboards are two features that our customers and developers have requested frequently. Rest assured that these features are in the pipeline.

ruinereraser 20 November, 2012 @ 1:12 pm   3

Stop dividing your customer base into ‘priority’ and ‘we don’t care about those’ customers. Bring PlayStation Mobile to all EU countries. Is it so hard Sony? Really? You don’t want my money? I really thought you would learn from your PS3 services mistakes, but it seems you’re following exatcly same wrong pattern on the Vita too. Unbelievable.

SCEE continues to only care about select European countries…

left4bread3 20 November, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   5

if only I was a games developer :’(

theindieboy 20 November, 2012 @ 1:24 pm   6

As a C# developer I downloaded the previous dev kit software (and liked what I saw) just before launch. But then as I was just about to start making a game (had some really good ideas) I saw it launched without PSN or Trophy support, so did not bother. As an avid vita owner/gamer (now gets much more play than my ps3 even when I am in the house) really don’t see the point of these games not really any better than minis. Come on Sony get Playstation Mobile on the PSN with trophy support and get it on iOS. In my opinion you really screwed up by launching without the 2 major selling points you had a (established single network and trophies which can be very addictive for gamer and would suck a number of non PlayStation owners into the PlayStation fold), you lost all your release publicity and a large number of gamers like myself just wrote it off. Sort these out and get a market and I will start buying and writing games for this platform. Oh and as a side note why was this not launched globally, why is it still not available in European countries aleast, really are not encouraging developers to spend time making PSM games when such a small market compared to iOS and Android let alone PC. Disappointing

Shahid Ahmad 20 November, 2012 @ 1:57 pm

Thanks for your feedback. We’re only just beginning with PlayStation Mobile. More countries will be added, as will trophy and leaderboard support. Watch this space and thanks for your interest!

Chaosprower 20 November, 2012 @ 1:24 pm   7

“You’ll be able to sell your games on the PlayStation Store for PSM and reach millions of PlayStation gamers around the world”

With “around the world” meaning 9 countries, I guess.

You should make Playstation Mobile available on the Nexus line of devices. After all, they are the most worth-having devices in the market.

I wonder how is Sony expected to attract Xbox Live Indie Games and App Store devs if they’re so selective about who is OK to participate and who isn’t. One of the reasons I got a Vita was the idea that everyone that knows C# will be able to make games for it.
I wouldn’t be as upset as I am if anyone was able to answer either “when” or “why not yet”.

Shahid Ahmad 20 November, 2012 @ 2:00 pm

If you’re in a currently supported country, we are not selective with PSM titles. Feel free to download the PSM SDK and go ahead! We are going to be rolling out support to more countries in due course.

Chaosprower 20 November, 2012 @ 1:36 pm   9

I’ve been exploring the PSM developer site, and it seems like Sony decides the retail price of the applications, and they must follow some guidelines which aren’t disclosed to the public. Also, nobody can make free games, only paid and freemium. It’s hard to purchase a game when the only information available on them is two or three lines of text and three screenshots and no demo. And no PSN functions at the moment.

andrewsqual 20 November, 2012 @ 1:43 pm   10

Please ignore CoolRicky008UK Sony. He does not speak the minds of Vita owners, or PS owners….. or the human race for that matter.
Can you spell something correctly in one of your posts? Please?

Do your part, flag CoolRicky as abuse/grief.

Anyway, on topic. Is PS Mobile strictly for games, or will we be seeing 3rd party apps, such as calculators, ebay, mobile banking, 3rd party browsers, etc?

Tsubaki_14 20 November, 2012 @ 1:44 pm   12

What the?!!! I’ve been planning on getting the xperia S just because it’s the only one with specs I like AND PSN mobile support, and now I find out I won’t be able to access it anyways just because of my country of residence?! If not even Europeans are getting it I probably won’t ever! At least make it available to the same countries that have the regular PSN that’s on ps3!

If it’s like this I’ll just get me a much cheaper phone with same specs

1. 10 countries is not the whole world. With this move you reduced your development community directly from the beginning.

2. You mention games, games, games all the time. I thought that your original plan was to have games and non-games apps. If you don’t support the second part you directly cut the opportunity especially from Vita to be much more that it is right now. Every Vita owner I know would be glad to also have some apps other than games to its Vita just like they do with their smartphone.

3. Where is PSN and Trophy Support?

4. More technically speaking you decided to use C# which is an excellent choice. But your SDK is based on ancient technologies. Where is data-binding or dynamic object positioning in UI?

Shahid Ahmad 20 November, 2012 @ 5:08 pm

1. We have plans to increase the supported countries and we will be adding countries to this list as fast as we can. It’s our ambition to reach as far and wide as possible.

2. Apps are allowed. We mention gamees a lot because most of the development community interest has been for games and that is what PlayStation is known for.

3. In the pipeline. :-)

4.Feel free to rraise any of your queries on the developer forums. Our engineers will be happy to have your feedback.

Thanks for your interest!

Will PlayStation Mobile be moving on to other devices that aren’t made by Sony? I have an Xperia Play currently but my contract is nearly up and I’m looking to upgrade to something powerful with a big screen, was going to wait for HTC Deluxe (or J butterfly or whatever they’ll call it over here) but with PlayStation Mobile getting trophy support apparently I want to get a phone that works with it.

I wish Sony would make a successor to the Xperia Play.

Please roll out PSM in Scandinavia within the year.

Or whatever. I’m just trying to give you money.

chrisboers 20 November, 2012 @ 2:02 pm   16

@Shahid #1: Thanks for your answer, I think PSM is one of the best things happening to Vita (except PS Plus of course), and it would be a shame if it would remain limited to the few countries it is rolled out today.
I will definitely keep an eye out on any new developments surrounding PSM, especially now with this devkit!

Shahid Ahmad 20 November, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

You’re most welcome! Really happy to hear about your interest. Remember, you will not need a devkit to make PSM games or apps, you can use a PC with a standard PS Vita or a PS Certified device.

Same here.

All european countries please, including Sweden.

Before christmas.

We want to buy, what is the problem?

Shahid Ahmad 20 November, 2012 @ 5:13 pm

Hey, I love Sweden and the goal Ibrahimovic scored against us (England) recently was in my opinion the greatest in history. We are working hard to add as many countries to the list as quickly as possible. Hang in there. :-)

Spaulding 20 November, 2012 @ 2:09 pm   18

Will there ever be a MAC version of the SDK?

Shahid Ahmad 20 November, 2012 @ 5:14 pm

I hope so, but I’m a Mac owner and on my Mac it works OK in a VM that supports the latest version of OpenGL. Please raise your requests on the PSM developer forum. The more requests we get for it, the greater the chance of it happening!

Carnivius_Prime 20 November, 2012 @ 2:10 pm   19

It’s cool and all but it’s too limited. Big appeal of Minis was to be able to play them on my PS3 and PSP (and Vita when I get one) but until I can afford a Vita I can’t even play PSM games. Is a bit frustrating as I have a lot of unfinished game projects on my PC I was getting motivated again to rework for PlayStation formats and this would be fine if you could just make it for all current PlayStation formats.

As cool as it would be I would love for PlayStation Mobile apps & games to be available on ps3 also… Even though it is obviously not mobile :P

I wish we could vote on comments, because I agree totally with #1.
By the time PSMobile reaches here, I’ll already be spending my time with PS+ offers and won’t fell the need to buy these games. Hope I’m wrong though.

i am used to not geting tings
1 = no video renting service
2 = no u tube
3 = no PlayStation Mobile
4 = no free realms

u gone have hard time to sel me ps4 !!!!

I agree, the comment system could use a change, particularly replying to others and maybe a voting system also.

brother-arms 20 November, 2012 @ 3:24 pm   24

I’m proberly going to sound like a noob with this but will any other languages other than C# work on this?

Im currently studying Video Games Programming and the standard we’ve learnt is C++, currently also Java & Lisp. I will be learning C# later in my year though but I’m just curious with this.

Shahid Ahmad 20 November, 2012 @ 5:16 pm

At the moment, it’s just C#, but please register your interest on the PSM developer forum in other languages.

undergroundgr 20 November, 2012 @ 3:46 pm   25

i dont get the whole coutry thing.the movie is not available there the app not available there etc etc.2 simple things,piracy will be shrinked and companies will get more profit.so what the big problem?

whooo!!!

13 Well Hong Kong and Taiwan just got supported today :P

declan__watson 20 November, 2012 @ 4:24 pm   28

Hello there fellow bloggers
Great work playstation mobile looks really good it would be good if in the future all Sony playstation certified Smartphones, tablets etc could have remote play. I believe that would be cool, add playstation 3 games to playstation certified Sony devices, playstation portable games and ps vita games too. I can’t wait to try out ps mobile. Getting a playstation vita for Christmas and a Sony Xperia S smartphone so playstation mobile will be great. Thanks for your time. LongLivePlay Sony Make.Believe

Linux support for development would be great.

KillaT2501 20 November, 2012 @ 5:24 pm   30

Only thing holding me back is I’m a Mac kind of guy.

Shahid Ahmad 21 November, 2012 @ 11:13 am

So am I, it works in a VM that supports a recent version of OpenGL. Sign up and have a look at the Developer Forum. There are others. Some of our launch titles got made on Macs using a Virtual Machine!

Commandofin 20 November, 2012 @ 7:30 pm   31

The same I asked at the US blog

Few questions. Some are answered in a way already though.

-I’m able to download the SDK for free without registration.
-I’m allowed to create, test and share without a fee or any monetizing in mind. (like f2p with transactions for items)

I don’t like the idea of 99$ a year because its the same MS does with Windows Phones.
I would prefer it to be 25$ a life time like Android and you get your cut from the sales.

Finland getting this this year?

Shahid Ahmad 21 November, 2012 @ 11:17 am

” -This sdk covers both PS branded mobile phones and PSVita. (I assume the games we develop would be minis)”

They’d be PlayStation Mobile titles, and they’d run on PS Vita and PS Certified devices, a list of which is provided in a link I posted earlier in the thread.

” -When it comes to publishing, I can have as many apps or games ready but can’t publish them in your store before I have made the one year payment.”

Right.

” -Does the one year publishing rights start when I pay for it. Or does it start in Jan and end in Dec?”

When you pay.

“Also, can we do modification for the code and functions that come with SDK or is it prohibited?”

You can modify the sample code to your heart’s content! Obviously, if an app provides little utility over a sample program, then it’s unlikely to get released, but we encourage you to use the sample code as you wish.

“Finland getting this this year?”

Put it this way, Scandinavia is very high on our list of priorities.

Commandofin 20 November, 2012 @ 7:32 pm   32

Is the language really C#? I would have thought it being C++. Any possibilities for C++?

cowbanana 20 November, 2012 @ 7:51 pm   33

Another blog post rubbing something in my face that I can’t have. Why can’t we have the same services as others?

Maybe you should make a separate blog for second rate customers such as myself? like blog.peons.playstation.com?

No PS Mobile, no YouTube app for my Vita etc. etc.

I don’t think I like you anymore :(

Grimm-Preacher 20 November, 2012 @ 7:53 pm   34

Guys please bring PlayStation Mobile to South Africa. I mean Australia has it so please please consider us. Thanks

I installed Vita 2.00 yesterday, only to find it breaks compatibility with super crate box. after downloading PSM runtime 1.00, I get the following error: (C0-14533-6)

Please don’t tell me I will need to redownload the app, my precious high scores… :(

Shahid Ahmad 21 November, 2012 @ 2:21 pm

My understanding is that turning the PS Vita fully off and on again fixes this problem. Let me know how you get on.

Does this mean I cannot continue working on my project unless I pay those 80 bucks? I have been trying to convince my teammates to move to the PSM platform by porting our game (prototype) to PSM.
Can I still run the Windows emulator?

MastrOfRenegade 20 November, 2012 @ 11:02 pm   37

@Ants_Pai I’m in exactly the same boat. Would love a reboot to the Xperia Play too, we were promised so much and after nearly 2 years we got no more than the launch line-up of Playstation titles and I ended up paying more for the phone that the latest IPhone (think it was the 4). It had no analog nub so was pretty uncomfortable to play – how hard would that have been!? And it’s lighting fast processor was quickly made redundant a couple months later by a slew of IPhone competitors, no Jellybean which we were promised because it can’t handle it, the list goes on and on

SeparateEntity 21 November, 2012 @ 12:16 am   38

To clarify things, you do NOT have to pay if you just want to learn about creating games with the PS Mobile SDK. You can still create projects, and they will run on the PSM simulator, without you having to pay a penny.

You will have to pay the extraordinarily cheap license fee if you want to run your code on a PS Vita / Android, though. You need to create a ‘key’ for Vita/Android, and the process for creating keys involves your target device communicating with the SCE server, so you’ll need a publisher license to create keys.

I give my thumbs up to Sony for not requiring a license to run your programs on the PSS Simulator. I can’t wait to see what people can create from these tools!

@RoboAddy Just power your Vita off, then turn it back on again. This should fix the C0-14533-6 error.

paterson_87 21 November, 2012 @ 2:11 am   39

Hi it’s Lloyd Clarke.The playstation mobile games will they be trophies support?What Sony mobile fones will this be on and tablets plz let me know and it looks really good news

(cont from comment #40)
The Bullying and constant goading of Richy is going to stop. The cruel and privacy-breaking links to You Tube are going to stop too. And NO ANDREW, Richy’s voice & opinion do count. His views represent what many gamers feel and say & they do come from someone who is a gamer and who knows what he is saying. If I did not know better by the wording of your entry then I would hasard a guess that you know very well about Richy. That’s all.
Just try to be nicer folks, and if you are not then make things right later by making amends to those whom you may have wronged, after all if you are nice and have a modus operandi based on Love, then Karma will come back to reward you threefold. peace

BiGsMoO7ke 21 November, 2012 @ 3:58 am   41

I’m used to not geting tings
1 = no video renting service
2 = no youtube
3 = no PlayStation Mobile
4 = no free realms
5 = no Counter Strike GO
6 = no gta 3
u gone have hard time selling me a ps4 sir !!!
long live SCEE :(

Zero--Fusion 21 November, 2012 @ 8:44 am   42

I have two questions:
1) Will we ever be able to deliberately publish free games / applications so that the user won’t be charged for downloading them from PSN? Or will Sony be the only instance deciding the final price?

2) Any chances PSM publishing will be available in a small country like Czech Republic any time soon? We don’t even have own PS Store, we use UK’s Store instead.

Thank you.

Shahid Ahmad 21 November, 2012 @ 11:23 am

1) We will certainly listen to customer and partner feedback on this matter.

2) The prioritisation of roll out is based on a lot of factors, but one of those factors is whether there is an existing PS Store in the country.

Thanks for your questions.

abdirizak007 21 November, 2012 @ 10:32 am   43

hi

abdirizak007 21 November, 2012 @ 10:33 am   44

hi MR. Ahmed Are u new on playstation blog? ane welcome :) from Denmark :)

Shahid Ahmad 21 November, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

Salaams Abdirizak from Denmark, feel free to call me Shahid and thanks for the welcome! :-)

When will I be able to use ps mobile on my htc one x which was meant to have the license. Part of the reason I opted for this phone was because of it being ps mobile compatable. Starting to feel like Sony owe me some money towards my phone contract. As a ps + subscriber not happy.

Shahid Ahmad 21 November, 2012 @ 11:53 am

It’s definitely on the horizon. Hang in there. We’ve seen PSM games running on an HTC One and they look great, you’ll see them soon too!

Dark-Twisted 21 November, 2012 @ 11:28 am   46

Hoping this comes to New Zealand soon. It’ll also be a great idea for Vita+ further down the line.

My next phone will be a Nexus 4- hopefully you’ll be adding support for the Google Nexus line soon? In fact I think there was a hack to get them running… I’ll have to check that.

On another note, the PSM initiative is a great idea, for the gaming industry in general. I get the feeling it’ll help get people who have always thought about making games to give it a go.

What happened to my comment Number 40. The one that is there now is or was comment 41 continuing on from my original comment. I was sticking up for CoolRichy. Why is it still in moderation. It does not contain expletives so it should be there please Sony

Thanks, rebooting the Vita fixed my error. :)

MelodyofMarshall 23 November, 2012 @ 6:30 pm   49

I am really excited for the PSM’s future plans of more PSN interaction and Trophies. I have currently purchased a couple titles from PSM and I have found them entertaining. Of course, I have not devoted much time and money to these titles due to my large backlog of trophy supported Vita games (thanks to Vita+). However, once trophy support comes to PSM I have no doubt I will invest heavily. I do have two suggestion: Even though I own an Xperia Play and a Vita, I would love to see the PSM app on Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire. Also, trophy supported versions of top tier mobile games like Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition or Angry Birds series would be phenomenal. Do these concepts even sound remotely possible?

jeff-REY56 13 December, 2012 @ 9:38 pm   50

Why can’t i apply for a PSM Publisher License?
I’m in the Netherlands will this ever be possibly, then i’m going to start developing?