Posted 5:00pm

Introducing Sportsfriends, an indie multiplayer feast for PS3

HELLOOO PLAYSTATION BLOG! I’m here to introduce Sportsfriends, Sony’s latest Pub Fund project, following The Unfinished Swan, Dyad and Papo & Yo.

Sportsfriends is a collection of four tense, competitive multiplayer games that, while still in development, have already been played by thousands of gamers around the world. I’m extremely proud to be involved in this exciting project and hope you’ll keep reading and check it out.

Sportsfriends includes the notorious no-graphics physical party game Johann Sebastian Joust, the bombastic four player sport Hokra, Super Pole Riders, from the creator of QWOP, and finally the sport/fighting game hybrid BaraBariBall. There’s plenty to say about all four games – and we’ll feature a separate blog post for each later – but let’s start with my game, BaraBariBall (BBB for short!).

BaraBariBall is a new fighting game for 2 to 4 players. Instead of just smacking your opponent around, players duel for control of the ball and score points by dunking it into the goals on either side of the screen… though, there is still a lot of smacking each other around, especially since spiking someone into the water will cause them to lose a point.

The other aspect of BaraBariBall that makes it especially fresh is the jump system. See those balls rotating around each character? Those are jump orbs and, each time a player jumps while in the air, one of them disappears. Jump orbs regenerate while the player is touching the ground. The number of jumps remaining also contributes to the knockback and hitstun dealt when attacks connect.

These are just the basics – the game features a variety of unique characters, arenas and moves – but if you want to learn more about how to play, check out the manual on the BBB homepage here. The team is still hard at work tuning and polishing the game but it already plays like a dream and has been shown around the world, including the 2012 EVO, Tokyo Game Show’s Sense of Wonder Night, IndieCade and many more. Apart from an awesome and talented playtesting group, I’m also working with the Terrell bros over at Critical Gaming blog. The blog speaks for itself but I’ll say it’s hard to find more thorough and articulate writers and designers.

As for myself, I’ve been making and playing games for most of my life, both by modding games like Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM, developing a bunch of small independent projects, and working professionally as a programmer and designer. I’m just about old enough to remember playing Street Fighter 2 back when America still had arcades. All this to say, this stuff is in my blood and, though BBB may have a retro look in screenshots, in motion it runs great at a smooth 60 FPS and we’re taking the balance and the feel of the game very seriously.

Sportsfriends: BaraBariBall

So what’s next? We’re still focused on delivering a tight, highly polished gameplay experience and, once that’s accomplished, there are a few things we hope to be able to add. I’m especially excited about including a special mode for three players, as well as some single player challenges and training modes. There’s also some top secret stuff that we’ll have to talk about later…

ANYWAY if you’ve read this far, think about supporting Sportsfriends on Kickstarter or telling your friends. We’re dying to bring you these games, but we need your help!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

19 Comments 2 Author replies
Show oldest first

andrewsqual 21 November, 2012 @ 5:07 pm   1

Lovely post, thought that gif was a Flash game at the top ^_^

I wish gifs would animate whilst viewing them on the XMB.
And does Pub Fund only deal with games, because the music section of the XMB could use some indie input, music visualisation for instance.

bennyrafal 21 November, 2012 @ 5:54 pm   3

ATARI 2600 STYLE :D

Wow it’s really retro xD I like it!!

Sorry for the offtopic, but I have a question. I pre-order a PSP game from Japan (the new Digimon Adventure game), and it comes with a DLC voucher code for PSN store special item. I will be able to download it from the greek PSN store? Or the code is only for the japanese store? Thanks in advance!

KillaT2501 22 November, 2012 @ 3:33 pm   5

These games look awesome!

Looks like Bishi Bashi Special had a baby with International Track & Field with Rez and Joust acting as godparents. Which is a nice thing.

Will these games come to Vita at some point?

More PSX gif love please!

Huono_peleis 22 November, 2012 @ 4:01 pm   6

Is Move required or optional?
Is there on-line multiplayer or just local?

So you are funded by Sony and still asking for more in Kickstarter? Something here doesn’t make sense.

Noah Sasso 22 November, 2012 @ 5:27 pm

Hey Huono!

Move is required for Johann Sebastian Joust, but not the other three games.

We need your support through Kickstarter to actually make the games – Pub Fund is a way for Sony to provide support once the games are ready to be put on PSN, but we have to finish them first!

declan__watson 22 November, 2012 @ 4:56 pm   7

Hello bloggers
Hello Noah great new game I’m sure it will be fantastic I did see how cool unfinished swan looks its like couloir ing in a path very nice this game will certainly be a great addition. I have a question saw it couple of months ago is apple inc. going buying sony. I spoke to a lot of people about this I for one think apple and sony have a lot in common 1. Music Apple are big in music with iTunes, GarageBand, iPod etc like that and by combining sonys great technology in music with Walkman, Sony bmg etc apple would get a big boost from sony in music 2. Consumer electronics support Apple are big with iPhone, iPad, iMac, all these iProducts it sounds cool by combining sonys with tv, Xperia, car audio laptops etc Sony could get a big boost with a lot of apples products make the iPod rename it the iWalkman the iStation Orbis iXperia. I would love it if apple bought sony it would make an extremely better future for consumer electronics and I believe apple and sony bond in a really special way. Thanks for listening if you agree with me please comment back I’d loved to hear your thoughts. Thanks again and again great game Noah. LongLivePlay Sony Make.Believe

declan__watson 22 November, 2012 @ 5:00 pm   8

Also forgot to say 3 Games Apple have couple of games in App Store think about ps3 games like little big planet, Killzone, resistance etc and apple could get a big boost from the games consoles put apple iPod iPhone and iPad to have remote play be playstation certified too. Thanks again LongLivePlay Sony Make.Believe

I’m backing this purely for BaraBariBall and Johann Sebastian Joust alone.

I’ve been hearing about Joust since it first started showing publicly in America through various people online saying how amazing it was. It really seems like the perfect party game and amazingly fun. Can’t wait to get my hands on it.

Luckily I got to play BaraBariBall at Eurogamer Expo this year. I spent probably way too long playing against my friends on it. Fantastic multiplayer game, among my top 3 games of the show and BY FAR the most fun I had there. Just to give you some idea, I went to the expo for 2 days and over the course of those 2 days, I played the game 5 separate times. It’s fantastic. Get hyped.

CoolRichy008UK-2 22 November, 2012 @ 6:25 pm   10

YA WAT bennyrafal SAID ATARI STYLE :D

declan__watson 22 November, 2012 @ 6:38 pm   11

@coolrichy008uk-2
I don’t understand the comment sending me rude texts and saying I write stupid things why you being mean to me for what have I ever done to you.

There is nothing wrong with my comments and I am not spamming the blog if I was spamming it I would be saying the same thing over and over again

Thanks for your time

LongLivePlay Sony Make.Believe

@CoolRichy008UK-2

and your creating accounts to come on the blog and spam the place and try to make another member who shares a similar usernam to the one your using look bad.

you know declan__watson is 15 years old and has not directly said anything to anyone in a nasty way so why you picking on him?

LOL @ CoolRichy008UK YOUR PREFETIC.

declan__watson 22 November, 2012 @ 7:19 pm   14

@hayzink and davie222
Thanks :)

ukcrazyguy

the hell? oviously its coolrichy, he probly got band on his main account…

dont start pointing fingers. why the hell would it be me? because i replied back to him?

dont acuse me.

ukcrazyguy 22 November, 2012 @ 8:06 pm   16

Lol ok whatever

vonhammer 22 November, 2012 @ 9:19 pm   17

Don’t have any interest in the kickstarter movment.But get these on PSN, and I’ll buy them day one.

Where is the rachel master dlc for ninja gaiden sigma?

chipcookiexx 27 November, 2012 @ 6:29 pm   19

hi can anyone tell me how to delete items from your cart in store please