Posted 1:00pm

PlayStation Plus: Your December content

BatmanArkhamCity_Screen_076_PVWIMG

Hello everyone! It’s that time of year again when snows starts to cover the ground; fairy lights and mince pies take over the world and everyone is a little bit merrier! So, what better way to get in the mood than by divulging the latest PlayStation Plus content coming your way throughout December?

I hope you’re excited as we are about the content line-up for this month, as we bring you a critically-acclaimed AAA blockbuster, an epic sci-fi shooter and a phenomenal puzzle platformer – and that’s just the PS3 content!

So, let’s kick off with a big one. We’re very happy to announce that from 5th December we’ll be offering the stunning Batman: Arkham City as your headline title for the next four weeks!

Delivering a genuinely authentic Batman experience that takes you deep inside the diseased heart of Gotham City, critics universally agreed that this is a shining example of what a superhero game should be. I don’t think it needs much more of an introduction – just play it and find out for yourself.

Also out on 5th December, we are pleased to announce that we have secured the beautifully designed LIMBO from the hugely talented Danish developer Playdead. This wonderfully eerie platformer takes you on a challenging journey through hostile environments, overcoming a series of physical puzzles and deadly traps in an effort to learn the fate of your sister.

It’s one of the most critically-acclaimed downloadable games ever and packs a real emotional punch – check it out as soon as you can.

To round off your PS3 content for December we have secured Vanquish, the stunning third person shooter from developer Platinum Games and publisher SEGA. Directed by Shinji Mikami – the creator of the Resident Evil series – it’s a sci-fi shooter that sees you take on the role of Sam, a government agent kitted out with a futuristic battlesuit. Fast, fun, fluid and utterly frenetic, if you’re after a rush of pure gaming, Vanquish is the game for you.

Vanquish_sc030_PVWIMG

And that brings me onto the next section of my update – your upcoming PS Vita content. From 19th December your headline title will be the latest version of a classic franchise: Mortal Kombat (not available in AU). Developed at series creator Ed Boon’s NetherRealm Studios, critics agreed it was a stunning return to form and one of the finest brawlers in recent years. A gritty, gruesome treat lies in wait!

Your second piece of PS Vita content, launching on 21st December, is beautiful puzzle platformer Knytt Underground – the exciting follow-up to indie hit Knytt Stories. Boasting over 1,800 rooms to explore and multiple story-driven quests to complete, this one should keep you occupied well into 2013.

I guess that’s it folks! Look out for an update just before Christmas on your January content, but until then enjoy the December offerings.

Actually, hold on! I almost forgot we have a little extra surprise coming your way!

We’ve been working hard with publisher Ripstone to bring Knytt Underground to the PS Vita Plus service for a while now, but because we’re feeling in the Christmas mood we’ve also arranged to bring you the game on PS3 too, through our PlayStation Plus Presents line. Like the PS Vita version, it will be available from 21st December and will support Cross Buy so you can make the most of your extra 1GB storage and play at home and on the move!

But that’s not all! As we believe Christmas really is a time for giving, as of 12th December we will also be bringing you Big Sky Infinity, a stunning shoot ‘em up from the development teams at VooFoo Studios and Boss Baddie. Like Knytt, this title also supports Cross Buy so you can enjoy it on both PS3 and PS Vita.

We’ll have developer Blog posts soon looking at both Knytt Underground and Big Sky Infinity in greater detail – stay tuned.

As usual, you can also expect exclusive PS Plus discounts on lots of titles, including the phenomenal Rayman Origins. We’ll update you on these offers in the weekly Store posts.

If you are not currently a Plus member, visit our PlayStation Plus  site to find out more about the service. Here you’ll learn all you need to know about the Instant Game Collection, which gives members access to at least 14 games at any one time, and over 65 games across the course of a 12 month subscription – all for a one-off payment of just £39.99.

I think that really is it this time, so I am signing off for now! Enjoy your games!

PlayStation Plus December content:

• 5th December: Batman: Arkham City (PS3)
  • 5th December: LIMBO (PS3)
  • 5th December: Vanquish (PS3)
  • 12th December: Big Sky Infinity (PS Vita and PS3)
  • 19th December: Mortal Kombat (PS Vita) – not available in AU
  • 21st December: Knytt Underground (PS Vita and PS3)
  • Additional offers and savings TBC

Titles removed from IGC:

• 5th December: Crysis 2 (PS3)
  • 5th December: Scott Pilgrim vs The World (PS3)
  • 5th December: Double Dragon Neon (PS3)
  • 19th December: Chronovolt (PS Vita)
  • 21st December: Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (PS Vita)

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

323 Comments 32 Author replies
Show oldest first

Limbo and Batman, yeah!

Flipside666 28 November, 2012 @ 1:05 pm   2

sweet, last month nothing interested me, but this month batman, limbo, Big Sky and Knytt Underground are great titles to get, thank you !!!!

HELL YES.

Been on the fence about buying Limbo, about to get stuck into Arkham Asylum, this will feed my hunger nicely. Thanks!

Excellent choices (too bad I already have Batman AC and Vanquish)!

turbogeek421 28 November, 2012 @ 1:06 pm   5

I think “Wow!” is the correct response to that! And that’s just off Batman: Arkham City!

Great line up on both PS3 and Vita.

Looking forward to playing Vanquish as I never got round to it, and it will be good fun playing through LIMBO again, an enjoyable experience even if it was very much style over substance.

Natscookie 28 November, 2012 @ 1:06 pm   7

Vanquish for me, I suppose…

almighty-slayer 28 November, 2012 @ 1:07 pm   8

Fantastic update. Nice work dudes. Look forward to Knytt

caomhanach 28 November, 2012 @ 1:08 pm   9

Stunning line-up for December. Already have Arkham City and Vanquish, bot both come highly recommended. Can’t wait to give Limbo a try, also looking forward to Mortal Kombat.

Unicronic 28 November, 2012 @ 1:08 pm   10

Wow awesome lineup. It is a shame that I have the first 3 releases on the list but after that all new games.

CreditDue 28 November, 2012 @ 1:08 pm   11

will there be any Arkham City DLC discounts to accompany the game

Chris Howe 28 November, 2012 @ 1:24 pm

We do not have anything planned at the moment but leave it with me and we will try and arrange some discounts with the publisher, can’t promise anything though! :)

Jamesyp00 28 November, 2012 @ 1:08 pm   12

Amazing titles added, again people (like me) already own half of them and what not, but getting to access them online for the PS+ price is brilliant.

planeet32 28 November, 2012 @ 1:08 pm   13

Once again: great value! Good work guys. Just 1 question, am I able to play games received through PS plus (I downloaded chronovolt for instance and am still a ps+ member) for the Vita after it was removed from the IGC? I still need to finish that game…

Chris Howe 28 November, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

Yes make sure that you download it while it is part of the IGC and you can continue to play it. It will only not be available to you if do not continue with your subscription to Plus but with so much great content and much more planned why would you want to do that!!!! :)

Sweet. Already have Arkham City, but excited about Limbo.

Carnivius_Prime 28 November, 2012 @ 1:08 pm   15

Ugh.
No thanks. Arkham City came with my PS3 Slim last year and I sold that game soon after. I gave it a good go but it’s just too tedious and I actually like Batman (reading or watching, but turns out I find ‘being’ Batman remarkably dull). Mortal Kombat has never been good. Limbo’s not much fun either and Knytt is one of the most pointless and overrated games to come out of the indie scene.

Pretty disappointed with this lot. Sorry. Vanquish might be worth a few goes and I don’t know what that shooter’s like to play but other than that I’ll pass.

Excellent!! Can’t wait for this!!

ShogunDarius 28 November, 2012 @ 1:09 pm   17

great list, shame no Jet Set like the US got earlier, I wish sony could just do equality between regions like MS can.

DarkManipulative 28 November, 2012 @ 1:09 pm   18

I need to stop buying games and just have Plus games. Recently bought Arkham City, Vanquish and got Mortal Kombat in a bundle with my Vita. I might just DL them and trade in the boxed versions for a tin of beans or whatever they give you for used games these days.

I’ll check out Limbo but I’m not too fussed about Knytt Underground and Big Sky Infinity.

I don’t get why every PS3 / PS Vita owner doesn’t have Plus? The value is astounding.

crackalakaling 28 November, 2012 @ 1:10 pm   19

Good update, but not for me, Got batman, played vanquish, and not really interested in limbo, still might give it a try. Any chance for some plus discount on arkham city dlc?

I have none of those, I think for the very time at all. So I can rate this content nothing but brilliant! :P

NavySeal74 28 November, 2012 @ 1:11 pm   21

any chance we can get some new game trials,
and silent hill avatars and themes usa have had these for ages now.

also bring back the old store new one sucks big time.
hate using it.

blackmamba707 28 November, 2012 @ 1:11 pm   22

I <3 this company :))) Amazed.

* “very first time at all” of course

Link_Garreth 28 November, 2012 @ 1:12 pm   24

Will Australian PS plus subscribers be be able to download Mortal Kombat? Last time I checked it was refused classification here and was considered a prohibited item.

Chris Howe 28 November, 2012 @ 1:30 pm

We are aware of this issue and we are working with the publisher to find a replacement title. Once we have it locked you guys will be the first to know

Shoot, I bought Mortal Kombat just recently… Was hoping for a game like Wipeout 2048 that US had already in the November update, or maybe Rayman Origins for PSVita.

Too bad, but thats the way it is. I’ll just trade in MK at the gameshop I think towards buying LBPV or something.

LiquidSolid 28 November, 2012 @ 1:12 pm   26

Vita gets 3 games, PS3 gets 5 games. Sounds fair to me. Oh wait…

Suzzopher 28 November, 2012 @ 1:12 pm   27

Knytt and Big Sky Infinity look really cool.

That is a really excellent lineup. As an Australian subscriber, I have a question, though. With Mortal Kombat refused classification in Australia is there anything else lined up for those down-under or do we just miss out? It’s an unfortunate situation and I understand if there isn’t anything else lined up.

Chris Howe 28 November, 2012 @ 1:31 pm

As above, we are working on it at the moment with the publisher and will update you as soon as we can

PARAN0ID_PANDA3 28 November, 2012 @ 1:13 pm   29

finally a game i haven’t played before vanquish and i was hoping to get batman again just for the Harley Quinn dlc

Nightmare966 28 November, 2012 @ 1:13 pm   30

Chris, thanks a lot. This is becoming so great…

This month I’d have to say that I have 2/3 titles (AC and Vanquish). However, Vita turns things around, as I’m getting one this week and I wanted MK for Vita (given I have the PS3 version). So you’ve made me really, really happy.

I do really think PS Plus is one of the very best things to happen to the PlayStation brand in a long time.

LiquidSolid 28 November, 2012 @ 1:14 pm   31

Also, it doesn’t seem like you, a Sony employee, knows the different between Cross Play and Cross Buy.

jack_gllghr 28 November, 2012 @ 1:15 pm   32

Have all the PS3 games, but my god is this a good month!

Oh and that doesn’t mean I think the rest of the PS+ line up is incredible :-)

Keep it up!

issueskid 28 November, 2012 @ 1:16 pm   34

Anybody not yet paying for PS+ is really missing out.

Yet another great month of content. I already own Limbo which was excellent but I’ve still not got round to Arkham City and Vanquish.

BlindMonkey 28 November, 2012 @ 1:16 pm   35

I have all 3 of the PS3 5th December games also, but only played Limbo.
As is happening too often now with PS+, I buy the games because they’re dirt cheap (Arkham city £12.95 and Vanquish £9.99) and then they sit on my shelf just waiting for them to be included in IGC (cause that happens before I play them :p ).
Oh well, guess I’ll sell them both and keep the digital versions.

DoYouLikeMyID 28 November, 2012 @ 1:16 pm   36

Great! Mortal Kombat Vita and Limbo!

Two games I’ve been wanting for quite some time now, but never purchased.

And everyone who hasn’t played Arkham City yet, are in for a treat.

Great job guys :D

JimboBagginz 28 November, 2012 @ 1:17 pm   37

Excellent! I borrowed Arkham City off my brother and have just given it back so that’s cool. Vanquish looks good, I recently got round to playing Lost Planet 2, so hopefully this will be better. Limbo is also very good, I already have it but it is beautiful and worth a play. When you play it, say ‘I being moody in Limbo’.
I was debating whether to make the cut of my PS+ membership, looks like no cigarettes for a week. I’m not passing this opportunity up. Thanks a lot. You really do make an old man happy! ;)

vonhammer 28 November, 2012 @ 1:17 pm   38

Good stuff.Almost got vanquish the other week off the store,but had a gut feeling.
Never got around to the Batman game,but was looking at the GOTY edition the other day

will the ps+ be doing that 12 days of christmas thing again this year like last year

Woot! sometimes feels like every month i make my PS+ year subscription cost back!!

Keep up the goodies guys!

La_Mangouste 28 November, 2012 @ 1:18 pm   41

Does the Batman Arkham City game come with the Catwoman missions/DLC ?

ChunkyDroid 28 November, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   42

So my question is, will Mortal Kombat be available for Australians? I don’t believe the game got released over here originally.

If not, this is kind of a bummer month for me, as I have 2 of the PS3 games already.

Chris Howe 28 November, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

Sorry no as explained above, MK is not allowed to be released in Australia at the moment so we are working with the publisher to find a different title for you

This is the best monthly offer I have seen. Hope you can keep it up every month xD

WOW truly fantastic stuff!!
even though I have Batman AC
I am really set up to play vanquish and limbo :)!!!

also I would love if the new next content update for PS+ would include MK for PS3 now that it is on vita :D

the1free_man 28 November, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   45

I already have Batman and Vanquish (both are amazing games) and Limbo on the xbox. But I don’t mind, since last month I had none of the games. You can’t win ‘em all.
But I think I will DL Limbo anyway, for the trophies and the spectacular gameplay. Limbo is brilliant, is what I’m saying.

Sweet been hoping for Batman to show up. And the rest of the list is great.

75 117 100 111 115 to you.

SeanLivesHere 28 November, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   47

Thats a great update.
I have one question though.

Mortal Kombat was refused classification in Australia and therefore is not available on the PS Store, can we expect a diiferent game to be offered in its place for customers in Australia and New Zealand?

Thanks.

Fantastic. I already played Batman and Limbo but i would love to play them again. Always wsnted to play Vanquish, i love Shinji Mikami and Platinun Games – they made Bayonetta :-)

Since I doubt us Aussies will get Mortal Kombat since it is banned. Would we get another fighting game instead? Or just nothing?

thavleifrim 28 November, 2012 @ 1:21 pm   50

Will aussies get another game in place of mortal kombat or do we miss out because of our nanny state government?

Load all