Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 3:00pm

Media Molecule’s Tearaway – developer diary #1: “Jamming”

image002

We’re constantly trying to think about how to share more details on the development of our games with the rest of the world, to show how we work, and how the games are coming along. So far we’ve not been particularly successful at this. It is after all quite a hard nut to crack, as traditionally game content is kept under lock and key, and polished until ready.

So, we thought we’d try our hand at some development diaries, starting with this written one, and hopefully taking the conversations through to our podcasts, and maybe some video diaries too.

We’d very much liked to evolve these to share as much as we are able to, and to discuss the development of our games in a depth people feel interested in reading about, so please let us know your thoughts on what you’d like to hear us talk about.

So, what have we been up to since we first announced Tearaway for PS Vita, and where are we now? Let’s ask the game’s Producer, Michelle Ducker!

Back in early August on the eve of Gamescom in Germany, a small group of Molecules sat in the audience of the PlayStation press conference after spending a full day in rehearsals. It was an incredibly emotional and nerve-wracking experience, and a very special moment for the whole team. This was where we were going to reveal what we had all been working on for the last year and a bit – our next game, our new IP: Tearaway.

The moment Jim Ryan began introducing Rex and Alex was terrifying. Lots of buzzing questions and worries began circling in our minds. Will the game crash? Will it do something weird and unexplainable? Will there be time to grab the back-up Vita we’ve prepared that was sitting on the side of the stage? Will it go horribly wrong? Live demos are always a risk… Gulp!

announce

Back at Mm Towers in Guildford, the rest of the team was crammed around a TV set watching the live stream of the event as it was happening, possibly thinking the same things. Looking back, this all must have been a very new feeling for most of the team – I can imagine the anxious excitement that they must have all been feeling at that moment, especially for our rocking QA team, who were working right up until the line with us on the Friday before the event, getting the stage build ready for this day.

gamescom_5

All in all, the experience of taking this little concept and getting it to the point where we are demo-ing it onstage at a major games event was pretty epic and extremely overwhelming.

Well, it’s been a few months now since that tense and exciting moment at Gamescom, and it might seem that we’ve been super quiet over at Mm Towers, but we haven’t! For the Tearaway team, it’s been non-stop. We immediately began to tackle a lot of the key areas of the game we felt weren’t strong enough, and focusing on the bits that will become the foundations for us to build an entire game upon.

We’ve had quite a few ‘jamming’ sessions whilst making this, the first being the god-like powers, and then, post-Gamecom, we spent time on Iota’s abilities and how they developed during the paper adventure.

image009

The jamming process involved the whole team writing a big list of all the things that they wanted to try out, all the ideas we had, and then people would go off to work on them, either alone or partnering up with others to try stuff out. We would review the prototypes daily, and critically figure out which ones were fun, and more importantly, strong enough to make it into the shortlist for our next epic challenge, building out first game theme!

Lots of really cool stuff came out of the little jams we’ve had along the way, as well as a lot of really wacky and crazy ideas that didn’t quite make it in. It’s funny because throughout this time you really get a sneak peek into the minds of our design and gameplay teams; the results could be genius, hilarious, and at times… disturbing! It’s our favourite way to work together, and it brings out the best in each person in the team. I’m looking forward to showing some of these experiments at some point!

So, what does this all mean? We’ve set ourselves a very key milestone for a few weeks from now, by which time we aim to produce our first fully playable game theme, one that will form the framework and basis for the rest of the game to be built upon. It’s an exciting time for us and there’s lots more to do!

gamescom_4

The game theme we’re building is a marooned island in a lake of glue, where something fishy is going on. We don’t want to say much more than that right now, as with any luck we’ll be showing more of it before the end of the year, and we don’t want to spoiler people too much. Teasing is way more fun!

We’re looking good for our milestone: the underlying technology, visuals, animation, audio, and gameplay for the theme are well underway, and in building the whole area we hope to find the answers to many questions we’re still asking ourselves about the rest of the game.

We’re very much looking forward to showing you more soon, and hopefully keeping these dev diary conversations alive. If you have any thoughts about what you’d like to see us talk about, perhaps in more detail, then let us know – we’re open to suggestions!

If you’d like to hear a little more on the post-announce highs and the things we’ve been working on, you can tune into the most recent Mm Podcast.

image008
Whilst most concept art is traditionally sketched with pencils or rendered on computers, a lot of ours is made from cutting out and folding pieces of paper. We pulled together all the scraps and half made bits and pieces from around this cutting mat, to give you a little teaser of some of the things we are working on for this big milestone. Look out for them when we reveal it for real!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

16 Comments 2 Author replies
Show oldest first
Gamesgbkiller 29 November, 2012 @ 3:10 pm   1

Interesting
Would love to see more of the game .
Thanks Guys :)

RossyWilson 29 November, 2012 @ 3:36 pm   2

The game looks great. Keep up the good work guys :)
If would like to see some videos next time showing us how you create the game like one diary on the 3d art the next on programming etc.

SuperJag86 29 November, 2012 @ 4:10 pm   3

This and Killzone are the reasons I’m excited and still hopefull for the Vita’s future.
I’ve been a big fan of Media Molecule since the launch of LBP and have bought every LBP game because they are so much fun.
I can’t wait to see more of this exciting project and see where MM’s creativity shines next!

declan__watson 29 November, 2012 @ 4:22 pm   4

Hey there fellow bloggers
Great James tearaway looks really special and I think it will be an IP for vita. I am getting a vita for Christmas so it will e good to try this too. I think you guys at Media Molecule are an amazing game developer no wonder sony bought you. You have the most amazing ideas any gaming developers couldn’t come up with. Little big planet was a wonderful IP I’m sure tearaway will be as amazing as little bi planet was. Thanks for your time bye guys. :) LongLivePlay Sony Make.Believe

declan__watson 29 November, 2012 @ 4:24 pm   5

Be an amazing IP for vita* sorry :)

Can’t wait to see more of this game:P I wish it was for the PS3 to tho:( + will MM be making a LBP3 one day? PLEASE SAY YES!!!:D

I love what I’ve seen so far of this game, expect for the screeming at the Vita or blowing. I draw a line there. I love to play this game wile I’m on a plane but Screeming, Blowing, Farting or other things then using your hands to controle the game is a no zone for me. Please consider.

Hi!

Tearaway blew me away when I saw the announcement trailer. I really like its art style.

I imagine that LBP’s level creator (and community) will return in the new game. Is that correct?!

I expect Tearaway to be a total awesome game!

Can’t wait to see more of Tearaway, it immediately made me want to buy a Vita when I saw the trailer at Gamescom. Keep up the awesome work MM! :)

Looks and sounds great. I’m looking toward to reading more of these updates and seeing some new footage.

Tei_LeonIV 29 November, 2012 @ 10:38 pm   11

Hi everyone at Media Molecule, I love you all lol

I wanted to know if there were any specific games that you drew inspiration from. Both this and Pupetteer are obviously very different but they both remind me a tad bit of Banjo Kazooie. Was this an influence?

I always loved platformers but as I’m getting older (I’m 20 now!) I sometimes find that they do not offer enough in terms gameplay progression througout the full length of the experience. Not saying I want Tear Away to be a RPG, but it’ll great if the mechanics continue to eveolve throughout the experience. And although I’m sure its not what you’re most concerned with; fun, engaging combat (even if it is intended to be simple) is something a lot of platformers fail at IMO, I’d like to the see how you guys tackle this.

finally, as you are now working towards the first fully playable theme does this mean that the game is still avlong while away(late 2013)? I was hoping for a April release, this game is perfect for spring! :D

My most antisiped game of 2013 with remember me on ps3… Please a realese date!

NobleClansmen 29 November, 2012 @ 11:01 pm   13

I think this game is the reason for my to buy a Vita tbh.

Cannot WAIT for this game, as a Vita owner its great to here about a game that is build specifically for the Vita as an original idea from the ground up – thats what made Gravity Rush so great IMO. And if Mm get there hand on anything, you just know its going to be good, they seem to put a lot of time, care, attention, and love into their games – again that what the Vita needs.

These diaries are so interesting to read, really made me appreciate how risky live demo are! – had never crossed my mind. So cool to here how games and ideas are developed swell – love the idea of gaming ‘jamming’ sessions!

If there’s a game that is making me want to buy a PS Vita, it’s Tearaway! Keep at it guys, make it as good as it seems to be. I’ll be waiting until it comes out :)

I bought my Vita for this game. Can’t wait to see what wacky stuff comes out of your heads after LBP.