Posted 2:30pm

PlayStation Mobile: EcoFish makes a splash tomorrow

Screenshot09

Hey there PlayStion Blog, Eduardo here from Eclipse Games in Spain to tell you about EcoFish, our new title for the PlayStation Mobile service due out tomorrow, priced at £1.39/€1.79.

EcoFish is a game that I’ve personally wanted to makefor a long time. It’s based on games from my childhood – games that I loved but for some reason haven’t been re-done and re-invented a million times already. If you liked old-school platformers you’ll find lots of new games still being made in that genre, but if you look for arcade puzzle games like QiX, Styx or Gal’s Panic, you’re not likely to find many.

It wasn’t hard to convince the rest of the team that it was a good idea, since they played those classics too and loved the ‘genre’ as much as I did!

Screenshot03Screenshot05

The core mechanic of the game consists of drawing lines starting from the borders of the playable area to enclose and ‘acquire’ parts of the screen. If you capture an enemy within the area you acquire, it is destroyed. We thought this kind of gameplay would fit particularly well on touchscreens and, of course, the PS Vita.

There are different objectives in every level, such as destroying a concrete enemy, eliminating all enemies, acquiring a certain percentage of the screen, and so on.

Screenshot04Screenshot01

We designed a wide variety of enemies and obstacles that have different and unique behaviours. So, for instance, there’s an enemy that moves in pulses (an octopus), or another that stops and explodes if you get too close. There are areas that are impenetrable, that slow you down, or even kill you. In total we have over 10 enemies and areas that allow us to provide a lot of variety in the gameplay.

Having all these options allowed us to design a wide variety of levels. We have 90 different stages in total, and 60 of them can be played both in the standard game mode or as a time trial.

Screenshot08Screenshot07

We also developed a story for the game. We had the sub-aquatic theme already in our minds, but needed something else. Then somebody thought it would be cool if the main character – the ‘hero’ – was a cleaning fish, someone that would normally take care of leaving the ocean clean and beautiful, just as you see in National Geographic documentaries! There’s been an oil spill so our hero has to clean the ocean and try to restore peace and harmony.

All in all, I’d say we managed to develop a product that recovers the essence of the old games it’s inspired by, but evolves it and brings new ideas to the table too. What’s more, we tried to create a pleasing visual and audio environment and an ecologically-themed story that’s a good fit for the crazy and funny characters that populate this world.

I hope you all enjoy it!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

22 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first

theStoneSkull 4 December, 2012 @ 2:40 pm   1

wow.. i was flashed back 20 years to playing the amiga.. loved the game on there.. this one is going to be eaten up eagerly.

Eduardo Jimenez 4 December, 2012 @ 2:44 pm   2

BTW, it’s Eduardo Jimenez, from Eclipse Games. If you have any questions I’d be more than happy to answer them here.

Cheers,
Eduardo

And we still have no PSM service over here in Sweden :(

well when you actually make it so my HTC 1 x can use psm like you said you would months ago…….

RossyWilson 4 December, 2012 @ 3:17 pm   5

This game looks pretty fun. I will keep it in mind for when i get my vita at christmas. Good work Eclipse Games.

IS it going to release in Russian store?

Eduardo Jimenez 4 December, 2012 @ 3:37 pm

Hi CrazyOnyx,

I don’t work for Sony or in the PSM team. I don’t know about that, I know we’ve released it for all the stores where PSM is available but we certainly didn’t translate anything to russian (the description of the game is in Japanese for the Japanese store) so I’m not sure about that.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Cheers,
    Eduardo

Pretty embarrassing (for SCEE) that every time a guest blogger comes onto this blog to talk about their game they have to field the incessant questions about services being extended to other regions.

Hey, SCEE, how about you give your customers an update and let your guests focus on their games? Just a thought.

A shame this service isn’t rolled out to all countries in a faster pace. As with all services it takes ages. The poor developers that are fooled into make games for this service anly have a small group so sell their game to. Now they have their exposure on the site but after a year (if we have the service by then) their games are burried under the next best thing.
My chouse for not buying a Sony mobile was also based on the fact I don’t expect this service to come to my country.

Fred, I read that article and, other than saying Hong Kong and Taiwan are next, there is no information about the roll out. Your comment also has no information about the roll out.

Of course I don’t expect you to do a CS:GO and say “no news” every week. What I do expect from a global company is to communicate to their loyal userbase what the projected roll out is.

And, while we’re at it, we’re still waiting for that update about the Video Store rolling out to other regions. You remember that one? The topic you said you’d look into? The (up to) €200 bet you lost with me? Nothing. I’ll say it again: we don’t expect the service to launch in every region at the same time, but not giving us the expected QUARTER is disrespectful.

More importantly, SCEE committed to rolling the Video Store out to more regions in 2009 and that did not happen. No apology. No update. No respect.

declan__watson 4 December, 2012 @ 5:07 pm   10

@Brodiesan
I’m not being rude here but why are you being so rude. You said that its embarrassing for Scee because a guest blogger comes in to the blog they come into reveal new games which are coming for platforms like playstation mobile etc.
Also your reply back to Fred saying that his comment had no information is just plain rude and disrespectful. Like Fred says he will update you as best as he can dont come in thinking you own the blog and also I think you owe Fred a full apology because he’s giving you the best respect and in return your being so disrespectful to him and saying things like that.
Also like Fred said ps mobile will be available in more countries you just need to be patient I’m sure it’s not long to wait.
I’m sorry for any inconvenience to you. And hi Fred
LongLivePlay Sony make.believe

declan__watson 4 December, 2012 @ 5:16 pm   11

Hey Eduardo
Great new game it looks awesome going to be a great puzzle game.

Great work keep it up you guys are great. LongLivePlay Sony make.believe

declan__watson 4 December, 2012 @ 5:22 pm   12

@Brodiesan
Forgot to mention when you mentioned about Fred not giving us expected quarter is really unacceptable and very disrespectful. As I mentioned Fred is giving you the information he has and has stated when he receives more he will tell you.

Sorry for any inconvenience but your comments are unacceptable. LongLivePlay Sony make.believe

Shahid Ahmad from PSM was on the blog a fortnight ago and confirmed more countries will be added in due course (http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/11/20/playstation-mobile-develope r-program-launches-download-the-sdk/). As soon as I have firm details to pass on I will pass it on to everyone immediately. I’m not sure there’s any benefit in me coming on here every week until that moment and saying ‘no news today’. Thanks for your patience, and sorry you’ve had to wait.

u are richt , but why not say i wil update u every month on new tings = where we consumers are stending ? like CS:GO not je have al language or not jet have al papers to al contry
u see u keeping silent makes peopel go away to other more talking
companies

exampel
cs: go ps3 memorie problems
ps3 u tube = wil getting +- in 2 month …..
singspam wil be removed ore wil be abel to transport to other place
in next soft. update

declan__watson = LongLivePlay Sony make.believe
long make peopel believe in air.

declan__watson 4 December, 2012 @ 5:42 pm   14

Hey again
If some of you are wondering why I use the slogan LongLivePlay Sony make.believe in all my posts it’s because I am a true playstation gamer. Originally starting on ps1 at 5 I have seen the most amazing and spectacular franchises that made me a playstation gamer. Whether its the great and classic Crash bandicoot to the thrilling and spectacular new IP from naughty dog the last of us there is no doubt that Playstation and Sony will always be a great part of my life I know what to expect and I have one more thing Sony corporation = The best corporation/ company in the world. LongLivePlay Sony make.believe
The World Is In Play :) ;)
@monoliet
Thanks :)

sneaky update on vita !!!!
under system u see playstation mobile

under notifications u now see lots of new tings ( illuminate ps home buton = u try like wii u controler ? )

also very not understend why i needed to 2 x download newest patch
in the morning en also now = ?!?

update
why i now get mi own mesage i sent from vita to somone else vita on mi ps3 ???? under recived mesage !!!!

also in store 12 deals of end jear
why under every paket = french language ???? i am dutch language

only first 2 are corect in mi language = :(

cowbanana 5 December, 2012 @ 8:17 am   18

Meh, I’ll care once Sony cares about launching PS Mobile here.

I can’t believe were still being treated like some third world country here. No PSM, no YouTube Vita app etc. etc.

StefNighthawk 5 December, 2012 @ 1:33 pm   19

@declan__watson,
Brodiesan is still showing more respect than SCEE does.
Why is it so difficult in giving somewhat more information than just repeating the usual excuse speak (ie. I’ll look into it; soon; it’s coming)?
Is there really no schedule that can be announced? Is it all on a whim? Is the known information that confidential or unreliable?
I wonder how much respect would you still have towards someone who repeatedly told you empty promises. After more than 3 years still no news about the video store. The comic store took so long it even closed in the existing regions. And now we are left wondering if PSMobile will be another video store or worse, another comic store.

declan__watson 5 December, 2012 @ 4:38 pm   20

@SefNightHawk
Please you have to be more patient and there has been serveral updates of the video store. You just have to be more patient do not say that they do not give you tue full respect because scee do give you the full respect and by you coming in and commenting like that is extremely inapropriote and ill mannered. I’m sorry for any inconvenience. LongLivePlay Sony make.believe
The World Is In Play

declan__watson 5 December, 2012 @ 4:41 pm   21

@SefNightHawk
Your also being very silly they are looking into it don’t just come in and say the usual ill look it up or it’s coming when yet say that they mean it please stop writing silly and rude things in this blog. LongLivePlay Sony make.believe The World Is In Play

declan__watson 5 December, 2012 @ 4:47 pm   22

@SefNightHawk
Brodiesan was being very rid and disrespectful to Fred saying his comments had no information thinking she owns the blog which is an extremely disrespectful ad ill mannered way to act towards Fred and scee and I’m afraid your following in Brodiesan footsteps of disrespectful saying that they don’t show is respect etc when they clearly do. I’m sorry for any inconvenience but your comments are innapropriote. LongLivePlay Sony make.believe The World Is In Play