Posted 8:47pm

Back to the beginning: Bringing Mass Effect to PS3

8242298951_ba59720628_z

I’m Ryan Warden, the External Producer for Mass Effect Trilogy. I’ve been with BioWare for almost nine years now – lately I’ve been working to help bring you Mass Effect Trilogy for PlayStation 3, and today I’m honoured to be able to write a post for PlayStation Blog!

We began work on Mass Effect Trilogy in earnest last April, shortly after Mass Effect 3 had shipped. The trilogy was complete, but there was a slight complication — there were people who had missed out on one (or more) titles in the series. Clearly this included PS3 owners, who had never had the chance to play the original Mass Effect. Mass Effect Trilogy was a great opportunity to rectify that!

We partnered with Edge of Reality, an external team with whom we’ve worked on many previous projects. Edge of Reality has a deep understanding of how PS3 works, under the hood, so we thought the project would be a perfect fit. We had a huge head start because of the work we had done with Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 for PS3, but we still wanted to maintain the look and feel – the classic experience – of the original Mass Effect.

“We got some huge gains in performance.”

We tinkered with the audio engine, and with the way that memory was allocated to various chunks of the game. We brought over some lighting and visual effects improvements from Mass Effect 2 and 3, and combined them with the original Mass Effect systems. In essence, we invited the Wu Tang Clan to a rap battle… and it paid off.

We got some huge gains in performance – especially with regard to texture popping, which has been dramatically improved – yet we were still able to maintain the classic look and feel of the introduction to the Mass Effect universe.

At the end of my first playthrough during development, I saw a scene that had once been so familiar – the Normandy jumps to FTL, the screen fades to black, and That Song kicks in. I had sat through this scene countless times during the development of Mass Effect. Every single time, the delay-soaked guitar of Faunts’ “M4 Part II” put a grin on my face, just like the first time I saw it.

I’m lucky that I got to relive the eight years of my life that I’ve spent working on the Mass Effect series. And now PS3 owners can experience the full trilogy for the first time.

You can finally create your Shepard at the beginning of Mass Effect, and bring that same character through the rest of the series. You can stand on the moon, drive the Mako across an asteroid, chase a rogue Spectre to the edges of the galaxy, and deliver right hooks to your heart’s content. Then you can pop the Mass Effect 2 disc in the tray.

I’m really proud of the work that the team has done to bring Mass Effect Trilogy to the PS3, and I can’t wait for you to play through the whole series. I hope you enjoy it!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

39 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
Lord_Arabus 5 December, 2012 @ 8:54 pm   1

Will it be possible to get ME1 standalone? I already have ME2 & 3 so i’m reluctant to drop extra cash on products i’ve already purchased. I’m interested in playing through from the beginning with a Sheppered i’ve created, but as i say…

So happy this is now on the PS3, Bar the ending of the third, this is one of my favourite series this generation, the universe and the characters are just so good, Excited to pick this up on Friday and play through the lot.

Thanks so much bioware for bringing this amazing game to the PS3.

@Lord_Arabus Mass Effect standalone is already on the store, the trilogy is out Friday.

CarlStuart 5 December, 2012 @ 9:08 pm   5

Great game.
I have a question. Has the code generator…thingy from Mass Effect 2 & 3 character creation menu been added to Mass Effect 1? Would be great if it has.

Jestersoil 5 December, 2012 @ 9:10 pm   6

thank you bioware!!!
now time to pull out of your sleeves a Dragon Age 2 Ultimate Edition with all dlc :D :D :D

I am very happy ME1 is coming to PS3. I got it for the 360 when it first come out and I could not get into it (I was young and stupid). I got ME2 and 3 and loved them. I can finally play ME1 again and hopefully this time Ill know what am doing and enjoy it.

Nope
Too little, too late.

dark_angel69 5 December, 2012 @ 10:06 pm   9

Hello Ryan

Thanks for bringing Mass Effect to ps3. I look forward to getting a copy when I can make some space on the hdd. It’s a shame it wasn’t released on disc or I would been playing it right now. Anyway enjoyed your post and hope maybe you could write another someday about Dragon Age 3 :P

Just one question for you. I heard the day Mass Effect 2 has an update to allow us to import the save file to continue the story. Is it possible to import the save file from ME2 or 3 into ME1 so wouldn’t need to create the character all over again aswell as keep some of the skill points?

This…is..Fantastic! Mass Effect trilogy has to be my favourite franchise of all time.

Btw here’s a suggestion…how about making this available on PS Plus? I mean c’mon it’s a no brainer, put this on plus and you’re guaranteed extra sales for mass effect 2 and 3.

Stonesthrow 5 December, 2012 @ 10:19 pm   11

This is great! Didn’t even know it was in the works :o The first one was probably the biggest reason for me to get the 360, but I couldn’t really get into it (I usually play Playstation too..) and the second one on Playstation suited me much better (Dualshock probably had something to do with it too.) Still is my favorite one, it had so many cool characters. Replayed the first one properly after that but I’ll enjoy experiencing it on Playstation with my trusty Dualshock again.

PalmtopJakku 5 December, 2012 @ 10:56 pm   12

Little late huh? I’m happy for PS3 only users, but it’s a very old game. I’m glad you set the price rate fairly, and ME1 is still my favourite of the trilogy just because it has the best story, hands down; plus actually had a sense of urgency.

That analogy about inviting Wu Tang to a rap battle is the blurst.

RossyWilson 5 December, 2012 @ 11:37 pm   14

Glad i will finaly get to play this. i loved the last two and am going to play through the whole trilogy again, Start to finish. Props to Ryan for getting a Wu reference in the article as well :)

Hexahedronaut 5 December, 2012 @ 11:46 pm   15

Bought a xbox360 back in 07 just for this game, my fave of the three! god its gona feel weird playing this on ps3.. really hope it gives me that nostalgic feeling.

I am sure all those idiots on n4g. com said a few years back that ‘Mass Effect 1′ would never come to the PS3:D

If this was a remake, with the character models, shooting mechanic, etc from 2 and 3 I would try it for 10 euro. Although a good game for it’s time, technicaly it was far behind the second game.
Thats ok when you get it at that time, but we don’t. So to be honest I wouldn’t buy it.

CoolRichy0008UK 6 December, 2012 @ 1:21 am   18

This will be awsomee!!!

Private-Lu 6 December, 2012 @ 3:01 am   19

Bought Mass Effect without hesitation. Thank you so much.

I have to say, I’m sure I read that Microsoft bought al rights to the game, nice to see the rumors aren’t true.

Can’t wait to play it, thank you so much.

tanks but no , reason = i play normal 1 2 3 ….
not 2 3 1 …
also same reason i wil not buy dlc skirim until game of the jear edition = al in one .

will the first mass effect have trophies?

erbkaiser 6 December, 2012 @ 7:45 am   22

I am very happy to see ME1 make it to the PS3. I played it on PC when it first came out, but the TV screen and sofa is far more convenient :)
Looking forward to creating a new Shep and taking them all the way through the trilogy!

I picked up yesterday when the store updated, as someone who played it way too many times on 360, while owning all ME games on both PS3 and 360, I’m looking forward to completing my Mass Effect Platinums with this one and having all three.

nice MASS EFFECT ON PS3 :D really happy for that..
but i want to buy Dragon age origins, on psn store..
but will you get ultimativ edtion on the store?

AaronSOLDIER 6 December, 2012 @ 12:02 pm   25

There’s no “gains” whatsoever, it still has the pop ins and framerate issues of the 360 version smh

There’s a trophy on ME2 called Long Service Medal for completing the interactive back story and ME2, or completing ME2 twice. Has this been patched (or is it going to be) so that it will also be awarded for completing ME2 with a character imported from ME1 so it is like it was originally on 360?

KaneTheGoth 6 December, 2012 @ 2:14 pm   27

Ryan, fantastic news with this game, it’s something I thought we’d never see. Also, big kudos to you; I noticed you changed this post to the English spellings — not many people would have done that and it didn’t go unnoticed :)

Jacko_the_lad 6 December, 2012 @ 2:33 pm   28

Downloaded it yesterday, installed it this morning. Looking forward to giving it a go later. :)

I’ll be able to understand the second game more now as well. :P

MissDreamer 6 December, 2012 @ 3:00 pm   29

I’m gonna try and get this tomorrow or next week. I can’t wait to play the psn version.

ME1 costs $15 on NA store but on EU/Saudi store costs more, $20.

How this is fair?

kieronb89 6 December, 2012 @ 3:56 pm   31

amazing cant wait :D

JediKnight246 6 December, 2012 @ 4:51 pm   32

Bioware is now officially my favourite developer, I can’t wait to finally start Shepard’s story from the beginning, like it was meant to be. :)

It would have been nice if there was a standalone version of ME1 on disc, but I’m just happy to have it on PS3 at all, I’m getting the Trilogy edition whenever Amazon get around to delivering it.

JediKnight246
jes bioware devloping great games but when them give to others = them break the game .

i hope to see star wars rpg singelplayer stile skirim + more ten 1 planet

dragon age 3 ( more freedom in everiting )

new jade enpire

new baldure gate ( consoles )

If the Trilogy was priced reasonably at around £40 like it is in the shops then I’d consider double-dipping but the current UK PSN prices are £12 for ME1, £20 for ME2 and £60 for ME3.

Yup – no way I’m coughing up the best part of £100 ($160 USD) to ‘license’ the series ‘digitally’. Boy do publishers have a long way to go if they don’t want prospective customers to immediately feel sick when they see those words!

Atoshison 7 December, 2012 @ 10:27 am   35

Mass Effect is cool game.

Skookie30 7 December, 2012 @ 10:28 am   36

Thanks Ryan I shall start my space journey at Xmas or on my b-day hopping it be a plus IGC.

I notice on the the store it a PEGI-18 so I want to know is there added uncut content has been added?

I say that since we no longer get BBFC to rate UK games we in line with rest of EU PEGI, because of this I notice most weird ME was given a BBFC-12 but it shoot up from 12 to 18. Why?

That the other reason I didn’t like to lose BBFC for PEGI I feel that was to happen. :|

bennyrafal 7 December, 2012 @ 4:48 pm   37

will wait for a price drop, did me1 on pc – bargain bin deal for about 5e

RemyX-1988 7 December, 2012 @ 6:00 pm   38

Great to see the full trilogy now on PlayStation 3. And while I already owned both Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3, I just couldn’t resist buying the Trilogy.

The main reason for that is because I want the original Mass Effect on a Blu-ray Disc. And since it was only released as a digital game stand-alone, I had to go for the Trilogy. Very happy with my purchse now!

One thing that I really, truly hate, though, is the fact that Electronic Arts has decided, together with a lot of other publishers/developers to move away from paper manuals. The result of that decision is a 5-page Health & Safety Warning with every game, instead of a manual with story synopsis, character bio’s and other types of information.

Call me old-fasioned, but I like manuals! Especially if they’re full of content and full-color. Please bring them back! Please?

MieszkoIV 8 December, 2012 @ 9:40 pm   39

One question

Where can I post/report any ME1 issues on my PS3? Neither Bioware nor Edge of Reality nor Sony seem to have any support for it. Some of these are minor problems (e.g. abilites not showing up in the menu), others are more annoying (e.g. skipped lines – subtitles are shown, but there’s no dialog playback).

Regards,