Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 4:00am

The Last of Us: New trailer, release date and pre-order content revealed!

The Last Of Us_3D_ENG

It has been a big weekend for us here at Naughty Dog. We revealed a brand new trailer for The Last of Us and confirmed the release date for the title, which will be 7th May 2013 across the PAL region!

This is our second trailer release and our first since announcing The Last of Us at least year’s VGA show. You can watch the full, uncensored trailer below. We’ve tried to keep the trailer as spoiler-free as possible, while giving you some hints at the tense, emotional narrative the development team has crafted for The Last of Us. Enjoy!

That’s not all – we are also excited to announce details on the bonus content you can get for pre-ordering your copy of The Last of Us. Participating retailers will offer either the Sights and Sounds Pack, which includes:

• The official soundtrack of the game
  • A PS3 dynamic theme featuring the cover art
  • Two avatars for your PSN profile – Winter Joel and Winter Ellie

The Last Of Us_Pre-Order_Posters2

Or the Survival Pack, which includes:

• Bonus experience points for multiplayer
  • A multiplayer melee attack booster
  • Some extra starting in-game cash
  • Special customizable character items for multiplayer
  • Two special bonus skins for Joel and Ellie which will be unlocked after your complete the single player campaign

The Last Of Us_Pre-Order_Posters1

Multiplayer, wha? Exactly, we haven’t talked much about multiplayer other than confirming that we’ll be working to include it in The Last of Us. We’re not quite ready to talk about it yet, but stay tuned as we’ll be revealing more details on multiplayer before The Last of Us is released on 7th May 2013.

The team here is pumped to head into the home stretch to finish The Last of Us. It’s been looking pretty great so far – and we can’t wait to show you more in the coming months!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

75 Comments 18 Author replies
Show oldest first
ryannumber3gamer 10 December, 2012 @ 4:06 am   1

Looks cool!…am i the only one who wants to see a Nate and Jak skin?

any collector’s edition? be happy to spend more for a good looking one!

Fred Dutton 10 December, 2012 @ 9:02 am

Hey everyone. Arne is hoping to be online to answer questions later this afternoon/this evening when the US wakes up.

Arne Meyer 10 December, 2012 @ 10:47 am

We’ve been in meetings to see if it will be possible to offer a Collector’s Edition. Keep your fingers crossed!

quackerzacher 10 December, 2012 @ 4:40 am   3

I too would like to know about collector’s editions

Arne Meyer 10 December, 2012 @ 10:48 am

Obviously loads of our fans want a Collector’s Editon. We’ll be sure to bring that up.

Multiplayer advantage? Oh dear, shame on you naughty dog!! I think I’ll take a rain check on this.

Arne Meyer 10 December, 2012 @ 10:50 am

The pre-order bonuses only give you early access to cash and boosters, etc. You can get all of these MP modifiers by playing the game yourself normally.

I have a feeling this game will be very nice

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 10 December, 2012 @ 6:43 am   6

“Two special bonus skins for Joel and Ellie which will be unlocked after your complete the single player campaign”

DO THEY TURN INTO ONE OF THOSE THINGS?

Arne Meyer 10 December, 2012 @ 10:51 am

Haha no, just special skins here. Although it may be interesting to see if we could ever do an Inected costume skin. I’ll mention it back at the studio.

will this game have an 18+ rating in australia too? i’m pretty sure the 18+ rating will come into effect on 01-01-13 in AU (MA15+ has always been the highest rating for games here, R18+ games are either banned, altered or scrape in under MA15+) so this may be among the first 18+ games legally released in au.

Arne Meyer 10 December, 2012 @ 10:52 am

I’m not sure since our studio doesn’t directly deal with all the ratings boards. We’ll see if we can get some insight for you.

marach_liz 10 December, 2012 @ 8:08 am   8

I don’t really care for multiplayer items, skins and such. I’m looking forward to this game as a single player experience and from what I’ve seen this far I must say it looks pretty good. Hopefully the campaign will be at least 10-12 hours long.

Any ideas which retailers in the UK will have these pre-order offers?

Arne Meyer 10 December, 2012 @ 10:56 am

Not sure off the top of my head since it’s in the small hours here in the US. We’ll try to get back to you. Did you try heading to http://www.thelastofus.com? The country selector there may take you to a page with additional pre-order information.

I will be buying this day one and hopefully get the Collector’s edition before it sells out. Before every say’s.. I mean the UK CE and not the US crappy CE.

Multiplayer is going to be excellent and I can’t wait.

Arne Meyer 10 December, 2012 @ 10:53 am

Thanks! A Collector’s Edition is up in the air still but we’ll let you know as soon as we know.

@funkpower (#4)

Dude… seriously…. your just shooting yourself in the foot there.
You realise this is Naughty Dog that made this game.

Same people who made Uncharted series… ring any bells?

1,2 and 3 were all awesome, and better than the last, and 2 + 3 had multiplayer.

Just noticed in the US if you pre-order at Gamestop you get both offers, will this be the same in the UK (EU)?

Arne Meyer 10 December, 2012 @ 10:54 am

No, so far retailers will offer one or the other and I’m not currently aware of a retailer that will offer both.

How to pre-order now? Where to?

this will be something i buy because im interested in the story but i have a few questions.

how is the game going to play? is it like uncharted where you have open action sequences combined with more scripted fights and scripted platforming?

is survival an element to the actual gameplay or just the story, will we have to collect things in order to survive?

basically to sum it up what stops this just basically playing like uncharted?

thanks.

(i like uncharted before anyone asks)

Arne Meyer 10 December, 2012 @ 11:03 am

Thanks for being an Uncharted amd Naughty Dog fan! I’ll try to answer your questions as best we can right now. We’e released a few videos showing gameplay and we probably will in the future. We’ve called this game an *action* survival game for a reason – because we are making an action game first and foremost. The survival aspect comes in many forms – regarding collecting items, if you saw our E3 gameplay or the additional sequence we released in August, you’ll see that picking up items allow you to craft other items for offensive (molotov cocktail) or defensive (bandages) purposes. There are, of course, other items you can craft as well. The Last of Us is still very much a unique game becuase we are trying to make an action survival game – there are parts where the pacing is slower and a lot more tense than other parts of the game.

colmshan1990 10 December, 2012 @ 8:37 am   15

I hope the Sight and Sound pack comes to a retailer near me in Ireland (GameStop Ireland or HMV please).

Jamesyp00 10 December, 2012 @ 8:45 am   16

A collectors edition at all?

Multiplayer has me a bit confused though.

Arne Meyer 10 December, 2012 @ 11:04 am

Still up in the air – we’ll let you know if it works out. Stay tuned for more MP info, hopefully makes you a little less confused.

S-o-h-a-i-l 10 December, 2012 @ 9:30 am   17

So what are the chances of seeing Joel in Playstation All Stars ? :P

Arne Meyer 10 December, 2012 @ 11:05 am

Ha! That could be fun. We’ll chat with Superbot and see what’s possible. PS All-Stars is a fun game!

Hell-Raiser-85 10 December, 2012 @ 9:35 am   18

MP beta?

Skookie30 10 December, 2012 @ 9:40 am   19

So this is the suppose mystery game to set our alarm clocks at 4am in the morning Epic Fail ppl uselessly get up at 6am it a good job i sleep in.

more of recycle news we knew this going out next year because you lot hype it up to the hilt, you could easily announce this pre-orders release date at a later in the day.

who’s dead idea was it to do it this were, did your other brilliant games get this treatment? No it did not.

im more intrested of what “New games” are coming, i give you one it be out soon for the IOS but like othe IOS before it, it be out on vita & PSP FF4 the DS port 20th december world wide.

Skookie30 10 December, 2012 @ 9:42 am   20

* going i mean coming, pfft I’m going back to bed. :P

left4bread3 10 December, 2012 @ 9:57 am   21

This looks awesome the music, story everything. I d pre order sights and sounds ;) CANT WAIT! Its like a TWD game but by ND

COOL:P But i won’t watch the video because i don’t want it to spoil my fun of the game;)

dark_angel69 10 December, 2012 @ 10:00 am   23

I want to pre-order this asap cos i’m so excited for this so I wont be watching the trailer. Don’t want to ruin the full game. There is two things i need to know 1st before i pre-order

Q1 – is there going to be any limited editions? Would be nice to have a statue like what AC1, 2 and 3 done.

Q2 – Would it be possible to get both packs together?

The survival pack sounds better but I do like the sound of a PS3 dynamic theme featuring the cover art and two avatars for PSN profile.

I have heard before as a rumor many months ago saying the multiplayer could been like uncharted and there would be no co-op. A few months later there was a thing on the internet saying there might be co-op but not the same as uncharted. This brings me to a 3rd question.

Q3 – When you mention multiplayer, does it by any chance include co-op?

I know your not ready to talk about multiplayer but am sure many would like to know if it has co-op or not.

Thanks

Arne Meyer 10 December, 2012 @ 11:08 am

Q1 – we’re still working to see if we can offer one. Keep your fingers crossed!
    Q2 – as far as I’m aware there are no retailers in the UK who will offer both packs at this time.
    Q3 – We’re not quite ready to talk about multiplayer. Sorry!

Vannaa_Girl 10 December, 2012 @ 10:14 am   24

Watching the story and music of this game left me feeling all goosepimply, this and tombraider, soul sacrifice are my most fav games of next year by far.

Would of been perfect with co op also but i am going to be a very happy Senorita when The last of us arrives. You really seem to have made a game we can get lost in, care about what happens to the charactors and have a amazing time in their journey.

Naughty Dog and Sony, thank you and if this is really ps3 swansong year, then we really are going out on a high huh :)

Arne Meyer 10 December, 2012 @ 11:09 am

Aw thanks! We’re flattered you like what you’ve seen so far! We can’t wait to get our game into your hands!

Watched at VGA, looks good.

Multiplayer, huh? You kidding us, do you really believe this game needs multiplayer? This trend (putting multiplayer in ALL games) sucks.

Wow, resources are put on an unnecessary multiplayer, just to sell some dlc maps and skins? How disapointing. What is it, 8 fat Joels and Ellies running around?
I’m looking forward to the single player but I can’t pay full price for a product that has a significant component that I’ll never use and don’t want to pay for.

Arne Meyer 10 December, 2012 @ 11:12 am

The resources working on MP wouldn’t have been used on the SP game. The folks working on the SP campaign

But you would pay full price for a single player only version of The Last of Us? It would be full price with or without multiplayer and the SP campaign will be the same. Maybe pretend MP just doesn’t exist if you’re not interested? Or maybe give it a try, see what you think when you know more about it?

@Arne Meyer

thanks i appreciate you taking the time to reply :)

S-o-h-a-i-l 10 December, 2012 @ 11:22 am   28

Haha, fingers crossed. This & Bioshock Infinite look to be my most anticipated games of 2013.

Quick question, will ND ever develop a game for the Vita ? Golden Abyss was great, but I’d like to see ND themselves create something for the Vita themselves, whether it’s a contuation of a franchise or a new IP entirely.

a running joke on the internet is one day we will see uncharted kart racing.

but i was thinking that as nd have skills in this area they could take on the all stars banner and do a playstation all stars kart racing.

new franchise alert, i want commission.

i wil play sp , i hate mp forced in on every game
i also hope no mp trophies = bigest letdown from when trophies where aded .

mayby tip = only sp = paying lesser ????

@Arne Meyer I know where you going with this but for one I hate I’ll never get all the trophies because of the MP component that I’m igonore in al so many games these days.

No MP has has ever gotten a positive reaction from me, except for Journey. Why? For one I don’t care for kids crying trough their head sets while their moms try to get them to bed (serious it happens). Second, I fail to see how a wonderful story driven game like the Last of Us can maintain that emotional element in MP. Take the highly aclaimed The Walking Dead. It would be soiled if it had a MP. The same for this game.
Third, I suck at it. Using very strom morfine to numb pain has a terrible effect on my skills. During SP I can tone the difficulty down but in MP it sucks.

And please explain to me that this bullit point on the back of the box didn’t cost a cent to make. The MP component cost at least the amount of the 10 euro code you need when you buy the game second hand.

S-o-h-a-i-l 10 December, 2012 @ 11:30 am   33

Playstation All Stars Kart Racing, developed by Naughty Dog for the Playstation 3 & Playstation Vita – with Cross Buy, Cross Play & Cross Save – it makes too much sense to not happen !

adaggerthrough 10 December, 2012 @ 11:39 am   34

Uncharted 3 is probably my favourite multiplayer game of the past few years, so I’ll be looking forward to the eventual multiplayer reveal for The Last of Us. If there’s co-op like Uncharted, it’d be nice to have the option to play solo offline this time (with bots maybe?)

I’m expecting at least one game mode that is Survivors vs Infected. ;)

@OttoT
So children on VC and that you are weak versus others, is the reason why you don’t play MP. And that you thus miss MP related trophies is the reason why you don’t buy an otherwise great game?

Seriously, I rarely see a commenter with such a varying posting quality as you. Mostly smart, but often enough you complain for ridiculously dumb reason. As here the case too, as you might have guessed by now. ;)

@Arne Meyer
Didn’t watch the trailer either as I don’t want to get spoilered. Sooo … let’s talk about your title. Community Strategist? Creativity should be better spend elsewhere. :P

will the game be available as a digital download from the ps store? and while i am at it, bring uncharted 3 to the store too. Then you can shut up and take my money:)

Regardless of multiplayer or not, everyone should know that given Naughty Dog’s last three games; the story will be stellar.

Could you add a (separate from the main story) co-op, survival multiplayer mode, instead of a generally uninteresting multiplayer like those used in the last 2 uncharted games?

Maybe take a clue from the last resident evil game? Imagine 2 players with limited ammo (locally or online) having to endure past infected people (aka zombies!!!), who will be controlled by actual players online, like in resident evil 6! But please, if possibly, not in a horde-like mode in a constrained stage, but a progressing map, having to walk through corridors, pitfalls, shadows and all, to the end of the map.

@Skarra that’s the only thing im worried about, the story for 3 was a specatcle to go through, but it was less than stellar, They built the game around the set pieces and not the story, which is why it was full of plot holes and things were brought up and dropped at random, Uncharted 3 is the worst of the 3 in terms of story, it’s the only thing that has me worried about the last of us. I’d rather have a well thought out story than a cool chase scene that has to somehoe be put back into the game.

Ya Uncharted 2 + 3 were ruined because of the multi player, not. I barely played the online on these games, so does that mean i wasted my money on them? No. Got the platinum on all 3 Uncharted games. There is only a small few trophies that require online play and they only ask that you participate not be good at it.I hate online trophies as much as the next guy but will i let that ruin a great game for me,no.

Wow am really looking forward to this game.

I’m really looking forward to The Last Of Us, my most anticipated game in a long time, so I’ll be buying it at launch though that’s nothing to do with these slightly unimaginative pre-order bonuses.

This is also the first time I’ve heard about a multiplayer portion and I’m not convinced this game needed it. I hope it holds something interesting in store and not just plain old death matches and the likes.

You’ve got an incredible game here but please don’t spoil its unique appeal with generic crowd pleasing :-)

Amazing trailer :D

Coody-Baroody 10 December, 2012 @ 12:44 pm   44

7th May 2013! So looking forward to this game. Its my number 1 anticipated game, Dead Space 3 too but nowhere NEAR as much as TLOU.

This game truly is the envy of ALL other console formats, as is the Uncharted series but xbox fans just wont admit to that but there is NO denying this games awesomeness.

Thanks ND.

ShadowSolaris7 10 December, 2012 @ 1:30 pm   45

Can’t wait for a Collectors edition announcement also i hope the multiplayer is not like Uncharted’s.

THC_PRITCHARD 10 December, 2012 @ 2:07 pm   46

hey ng this game looks amazing and me wants this version http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/files/2012/03/the_last_of_us_infected_3.jpg

tapantaola 10 December, 2012 @ 2:22 pm   47

Should we expect a Multiplayer beta this time around?

TheTedster 10 December, 2012 @ 2:48 pm   48

All I can say is….This game looks amazing. My most anticipated game of 2013. Keep up the great work!

European_Gamer 10 December, 2012 @ 3:06 pm   49

Kudos for not *bleep*ing the words out of the trailer like you did during the VGA 2012.

Dante_Zero 10 December, 2012 @ 3:16 pm   50

I’m joining the bandwagon,if you make a collectors edition I will want it till then shut up and take my money. ;)

I think there’s a song by ‘Lonely Island’ that sums up exactly how I feel about of the recent TLU info. lol :)

Load all