Posted 11 December

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas PS2 Classic coming to PS Store tomorrow

We’d like to let all PlayStation fans know that Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is coming to PlayStation Store as a ‘PS2 Classic’ in this week’s update. That means you can revisit the cities of Los Santos, San Fierro and Las Venturas, as well as the surrounding countryside and mountains, exactly as they appeared on the PlayStation 2 back in 2004, on your PS3.

To help you prepare we’ve raided our archives for a video called ‘The Introduction’. This 20-minute prologue video highlights the action in the days before the story in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas begins.

The Introduction is told from various characters’ viewpoints, which are intertwined together to reveal the network of organized crime forces operating throughout the state of San Andreas. Tension builds as threats are carried out, stakes are raised and communication breaks down. In Los Santos, a drive-by shooting in Grove Street Family’s territory ignites a series of events to be further explored in the game.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas hits PlayStation Store tomorrow for €14.99/£11.99.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

98 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first

no vice city yet and you release this trashy game

Finally, been waiting ages for this! :)

Please tell me this is coming out for Australia as well?

Nice.

Carrot_atack 11 December, 2012 @ 11:14 pm   5

Lol 15€ for a PS2 game. What a rip-off

#1 “Trashy”?!

This was and still is the best GTA to date!!!

Hizo_BangBang 11 December, 2012 @ 11:15 pm   7

Pn3b0y u my friend are a doughnut, this was prob the best GTA game to be realised!

It’s a bit pricey isn’t it?

we hear the feedback on the pricing and would like to point out that the price point on PlayStation Store is consistent with digital versions of San Andreas everywhere.

Well worth the price. Pity the video doesn’t work on the ipad.

Carrot_atack 11 December, 2012 @ 11:17 pm   10

No, actually is the worst after the first two.

bravo9zero 11 December, 2012 @ 11:18 pm   11

This is great news, GTA San Andreas is my favorite GTA.
But £11.99 is way too much,£7.99 max I’d pay.
A shame..

angusinthearoara 11 December, 2012 @ 11:20 pm   12

Excellent, i loved this game think it cost me a tenner back then lol. I will buy for a fiver max, kinda expect this as a free plus title.
Nostalgia is a seller these days hey……

Carnivius_Prime 11 December, 2012 @ 11:21 pm   13

The best GTA (with VC close behind) but I’m so bored and fed up with GTA in general I can’t see me buying this when it’s simply the PS2 game and lacks HD resolution and trophies and other features a proper PS3 port could have offered.

However I would like Canis Canem Edit and The Warriors. Again preferably HD ports but I’d probably buy them even if they were the PS2 games. Though don’t take that as a reason to be lazy. I would reeeeally love proper HD remakes… I need me an online 2 player feature in The Warriors to play my buddy in america who I used to play the game with back on PS2 years ago when he lived here.

noooo why have you skipped vice city.

gta 3
vice city
then san andreas.

well suppose ill just get the android version of vice city instead as i can use my ps3 pad with that anyway but would rather have it for my ps3.

while your doing ps2 classics hows about bully please.

spacedelete1 11 December, 2012 @ 11:24 pm   15

Rockstar you have some balls pricing this at £12.

Yes San Andreas is one of the best games of all times but this PS2 port has no HD, no trophies or any new features.

I’m sure that the maximum price for PS2 classics was £8. Rockstar you have some nerve charging over that.

You might as well have given us a HD remake on disc. San Andreas is a true classic and deserves better than this.

almighty-slayer 11 December, 2012 @ 11:26 pm   16

Yeah i’ve never played it before and you can bet i’m not going to play it now, with that ridiculous price.

Just release them all as a HD remaster, like everyone wants. Stop releasing them as rubbish iOS games with rubbish touch screen buttons.

If you want to make them for mobile platforms, at least put it on PSVita.

wardragon989 11 December, 2012 @ 11:33 pm   17

I’m glad that you are putting these up for people who haven’t been able to play these great classics.

But I am wondering when we are going to be getting a HD Collection of these great games. With the position that Sony/R* is in they could potentially release all 5 GTA (PS2 era) games in one massive collection. That would sell loads.

All 5 games, 5 platinums and a price which everyone would be happy with. If people don’t only want the one game, put them up separately on the store or have two different editions (the normal GTA 3 HD Collection (3, VC and SA) and a special edition which will include (LCS and VCS).

If you announced this right now, I would give you the money for a copy right now.

But alas. You remain silent on the subject. :(

spacedelete1 11 December, 2012 @ 11:33 pm   18

Whats even funny is that San Andreas on the Xbox 360 costs 1200 MS points which is exactly £10 and has better graphics, custom soundtrack and a video editor.

So we are paying more for an inferior version.

no trophies or HD remaster with such an expensive price? nope..
why don’t we get the HD Collection for all GTA games in PS2?
GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas with trophies support (maybe Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories?). That will be great and I’m willing to pay for usual full retail price for those.

Swotboy2000 11 December, 2012 @ 11:44 pm   20

Nice video! Not one I’d seen before.

It’s a shame, though, that I can play the game by downloading it, but not by putting it in my PS3′s drive. What’s the difference?

AaronSOLDIER 11 December, 2012 @ 11:46 pm   21

Downloading now off the US Store – superior NTSC version.

spacedelete1 11 December, 2012 @ 11:50 pm   22

@AaronSOLDIER How is the NTSE version superior ?

Grey_Fox007 11 December, 2012 @ 11:52 pm   23

@pn3b0y, do you know how to use capitals and full stops? No?

Carrot_atack 12 December, 2012 @ 12:12 am   24

You realize that this price is the same as any HD remastered game that comes out this days? Like Metal Gear, Jak or Ratchet…

xllkaboomllx 12 December, 2012 @ 12:27 am   25

How much will that be in Australia money?.

Nice, an old game.
But how about Agent?

Its a good game & all but im not buying it for that price. If it came earyler in the year I might of. Looking forwade to GTA V! :)

Quite expensive for a PS2 classic, as has been said above.
I’d much more willingly pay for Vice City; although I could have been tempted by the price if PS2 classics were PS Vita compatible…!

Was this the last GTA that had Body Harvest references? I still wish the Body Harvest mission had the screams from the N64 game.It would of been beautiful.I’m still hoping R* remake Body Harvest or continue the franchise.
I still remember the first time I managed to climb the mountain in the japanese level (top right of map) and took the WW2 planes for a spin.It was amazing.

I also remember me and a friend discussing that this was how we wanted GTA in the future.Think GTA had launched a year or so before BH.We wanted big 3D worlds,with lots of freedom and little missions and games scattered around the environment.

zalwelgoedgaan 12 December, 2012 @ 12:50 am   30

€15? If it was HD, 60 FPS and a custom soundtrack option it would be an insta-buy. PS2 Classics don’t look impressive at all and I don’t think San Andreas aged well technically.

Sp4rkyM4rk1337 12 December, 2012 @ 12:54 am   31

Grand Theft Auto is one of my most favourite video game franchises of all time, but £11.99 is very pricey for a game I already own on disc with a fully functional console. I’m out unless there is any justification, regardless of how much I love digital versions.

ReckonerUK 12 December, 2012 @ 12:57 am   32

Fantastic,My favorite of the series…..VC was better in a lot of ways…..story,character and music but this was the better game and best world in the series.Hope you guys get VC on soon to though because i will be buying it.Wish Rockstar had of developed HD versions i would have payed double for that.

that price is funny.

nice to see rockstar have still got a sense of humour.

Wish these old PS2 GTA Classics were in HD with Trophies:( But cool to have them on the PS3 now anyway;)

EternalChaos72 12 December, 2012 @ 1:16 am   35

LMFAO, and here i thought capcom were bad, 11.99 for a playstation 2 game?! that was released in 2004 (i think) no chance. rip-off central. Rockstar is turning into the new crapcom.

you can buy it on amazon for 2 quid yet there looking for 11.99? LOL

Vice City comes out on the iOS platform and it’s a reasonable priced at £3, a similarly old GTA game makes it’s appearence on PSN and it’s 400% more expensive! Who could have guessed? The blatent greed of it all, whoever priced this has no shame. No worries, I’ll vote with my wallet.

M3notu666 12 December, 2012 @ 3:59 am   37

Ohk so im not just saying this cause im from New
Zealand, but @3, come on man, AU stands for Australia….

Seriously?? Vice City (the best GTA) just got released for iOS for next to nothing and it was HD… This is a joke right?

vice -Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas are both top gta games
but no hd remake + no trophies = not more then 8/9 €

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 12 December, 2012 @ 6:25 am   40

I have this on disc and would only buy it at this extortionate price if it ran on my Vita. The Ps2 version IS the worst, I have both the Pc and Ps2 version and the Pc destroys the Ps2 version in every aspect; controls; graphics – you name it.

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 12 December, 2012 @ 6:26 am   41

What a joke this is. Get VC IOS on the Vita and sort this price out. This is theft. It’s £2 on Amazon for a box, manual and disc!

BiGsMoO7ke 12 December, 2012 @ 6:36 am   42

I Want This Badly < :)

The reason Vice City is not released is because legal problems with Michael Jackson songs.

Start the original Vice City, the first car you enter will always play Billie Jean, but in the mobile version (10th ani) it plays some other song.

They dont really want to change the game so they’re trying to (at least I hope they are) solve the problems and release the game as it is.

Thank you for your time and spread the word.

€15?No thanks.Have this on disc for ps2 and xbox.Xbox version looks great on my 360,better than when i tried the ps2 version on my old 60gb ps3.

£11.99 is pretty much the same price I paid to get ALL GTA games ever released on Steam sale. Ok, I get it that PC games are always going to be cheaper than console versions but this is just ridiculous. Guys, seriously, don’t buy this. There’s bound to be an offer at some point, most likely before the release of GTA V..

Great game but not for me at that price, wait for the sale in a few months.

I was toying with the idea of getting this despite having it on PS2, because I’m not sure how much longer my PS2 controller is going to last for as after 11 years service the left analogue stick’s a bit knackered and wire’s coming loose, but at £11.99 for a straight port with no HD I think I’ll pass!

MASPALOMAZ 12 December, 2012 @ 8:51 am   48

So I guess its time to say BYE to PSN and get an iPad and buy the game in HD for just 3.

i was looking forward to this, but at that price (which will translate into AU$20) you’re dreaming.

JezzieJames 12 December, 2012 @ 9:28 am   50

I’m just annoyed that we had to wait 4 years after it was released as a downloadable version on the Xbox to get it on psn. What’s up with that?

Load all