Posted 9:04pm

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas PS2 Classic coming to PS Store tomorrow

We’d like to let all PlayStation fans know that Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is coming to PlayStation Store as a ‘PS2 Classic’ in this week’s update. That means you can revisit the cities of Los Santos, San Fierro and Las Venturas, as well as the surrounding countryside and mountains, exactly as they appeared on the PlayStation 2 back in 2004, on your PS3.

To help you prepare we’ve raided our archives for a video called ‘The Introduction’. This 20-minute prologue video highlights the action in the days before the story in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas begins.

The Introduction is told from various characters’ viewpoints, which are intertwined together to reveal the network of organized crime forces operating throughout the state of San Andreas. Tension builds as threats are carried out, stakes are raised and communication breaks down. In Los Santos, a drive-by shooting in Grove Street Family’s territory ignites a series of events to be further explored in the game.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas hits PlayStation Store tomorrow for €14.99/£11.99.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

98 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first

no vice city yet and you release this trashy game

Finally, been waiting ages for this! :)

Please tell me this is coming out for Australia as well?

Nice.

Carrot_atack 11 December, 2012 @ 11:14 pm   5

Lol 15€ for a PS2 game. What a rip-off

#1 “Trashy”?!

This was and still is the best GTA to date!!!

Hizo_BangBang 11 December, 2012 @ 11:15 pm   7

Pn3b0y u my friend are a doughnut, this was prob the best GTA game to be realised!

It’s a bit pricey isn’t it?

Well worth the price. Pity the video doesn’t work on the ipad.

Carrot_atack 11 December, 2012 @ 11:17 pm   10

No, actually is the worst after the first two.

bravo9zero 11 December, 2012 @ 11:18 pm   11

This is great news, GTA San Andreas is my favorite GTA.
But £11.99 is way too much,£7.99 max I’d pay.
A shame..

angusinthearoara 11 December, 2012 @ 11:20 pm   12

Excellent, i loved this game think it cost me a tenner back then lol. I will buy for a fiver max, kinda expect this as a free plus title.
Nostalgia is a seller these days hey……

Carnivius_Prime 11 December, 2012 @ 11:21 pm   13

The best GTA (with VC close behind) but I’m so bored and fed up with GTA in general I can’t see me buying this when it’s simply the PS2 game and lacks HD resolution and trophies and other features a proper PS3 port could have offered.

However I would like Canis Canem Edit and The Warriors. Again preferably HD ports but I’d probably buy them even if they were the PS2 games. Though don’t take that as a reason to be lazy. I would reeeeally love proper HD remakes… I need me an online 2 player feature in The Warriors to play my buddy in america who I used to play the game with back on PS2 years ago when he lived here.

noooo why have you skipped vice city.

gta 3
vice city
then san andreas.

well suppose ill just get the android version of vice city instead as i can use my ps3 pad with that anyway but would rather have it for my ps3.

while your doing ps2 classics hows about bully please.

spacedelete1 11 December, 2012 @ 11:24 pm   15

Rockstar you have some balls pricing this at £12.

Yes San Andreas is one of the best games of all times but this PS2 port has no HD, no trophies or any new features.

I’m sure that the maximum price for PS2 classics was £8. Rockstar you have some nerve charging over that.

You might as well have given us a HD remake on disc. San Andreas is a true classic and deserves better than this.

almighty-slayer 11 December, 2012 @ 11:26 pm   16

Yeah i’ve never played it before and you can bet i’m not going to play it now, with that ridiculous price.

Just release them all as a HD remaster, like everyone wants. Stop releasing them as rubbish iOS games with rubbish touch screen buttons.

If you want to make them for mobile platforms, at least put it on PSVita.

wardragon989 11 December, 2012 @ 11:33 pm   17

I’m glad that you are putting these up for people who haven’t been able to play these great classics.

But I am wondering when we are going to be getting a HD Collection of these great games. With the position that Sony/R* is in they could potentially release all 5 GTA (PS2 era) games in one massive collection. That would sell loads.

All 5 games, 5 platinums and a price which everyone would be happy with. If people don’t only want the one game, put them up separately on the store or have two different editions (the normal GTA 3 HD Collection (3, VC and SA) and a special edition which will include (LCS and VCS).

If you announced this right now, I would give you the money for a copy right now.

But alas. You remain silent on the subject. :(

spacedelete1 11 December, 2012 @ 11:33 pm   18

Whats even funny is that San Andreas on the Xbox 360 costs 1200 MS points which is exactly £10 and has better graphics, custom soundtrack and a video editor.

So we are paying more for an inferior version.

no trophies or HD remaster with such an expensive price? nope..
why don’t we get the HD Collection for all GTA games in PS2?
GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas with trophies support (maybe Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories?). That will be great and I’m willing to pay for usual full retail price for those.

Swotboy2000 11 December, 2012 @ 11:44 pm   20

Nice video! Not one I’d seen before.

It’s a shame, though, that I can play the game by downloading it, but not by putting it in my PS3′s drive. What’s the difference?

AaronSOLDIER 11 December, 2012 @ 11:46 pm   21

Downloading now off the US Store – superior NTSC version.

spacedelete1 11 December, 2012 @ 11:50 pm   22

@AaronSOLDIER How is the NTSE version superior ?

Grey_Fox007 11 December, 2012 @ 11:52 pm   23

@pn3b0y, do you know how to use capitals and full stops? No?

Carrot_atack 12 December, 2012 @ 12:12 am   24

You realize that this price is the same as any HD remastered game that comes out this days? Like Metal Gear, Jak or Ratchet…

xllkaboomllx 12 December, 2012 @ 12:27 am   25

How much will that be in Australia money?.

Nice, an old game.
But how about Agent?

Its a good game & all but im not buying it for that price. If it came earyler in the year I might of. Looking forwade to GTA V! :)

Quite expensive for a PS2 classic, as has been said above.
I’d much more willingly pay for Vice City; although I could have been tempted by the price if PS2 classics were PS Vita compatible…!

Was this the last GTA that had Body Harvest references? I still wish the Body Harvest mission had the screams from the N64 game.It would of been beautiful.I’m still hoping R* remake Body Harvest or continue the franchise.
I still remember the first time I managed to climb the mountain in the japanese level (top right of map) and took the WW2 planes for a spin.It was amazing.

I also remember me and a friend discussing that this was how we wanted GTA in the future.Think GTA had launched a year or so before BH.We wanted big 3D worlds,with lots of freedom and little missions and games scattered around the environment.

zalwelgoedgaan 12 December, 2012 @ 12:50 am   30

€15? If it was HD, 60 FPS and a custom soundtrack option it would be an insta-buy. PS2 Classics don’t look impressive at all and I don’t think San Andreas aged well technically.

Sp4rkyM4rk1337 12 December, 2012 @ 12:54 am   31

Grand Theft Auto is one of my most favourite video game franchises of all time, but £11.99 is very pricey for a game I already own on disc with a fully functional console. I’m out unless there is any justification, regardless of how much I love digital versions.

ReckonerUK 12 December, 2012 @ 12:57 am   32

Fantastic,My favorite of the series…..VC was better in a lot of ways…..story,character and music but this was the better game and best world in the series.Hope you guys get VC on soon to though because i will be buying it.Wish Rockstar had of developed HD versions i would have payed double for that.

that price is funny.

nice to see rockstar have still got a sense of humour.

Wish these old PS2 GTA Classics were in HD with Trophies:( But cool to have them on the PS3 now anyway;)

EternalChaos72 12 December, 2012 @ 1:16 am   35

LMFAO, and here i thought capcom were bad, 11.99 for a playstation 2 game?! that was released in 2004 (i think) no chance. rip-off central. Rockstar is turning into the new crapcom.

you can buy it on amazon for 2 quid yet there looking for 11.99? LOL

Vice City comes out on the iOS platform and it’s a reasonable priced at £3, a similarly old GTA game makes it’s appearence on PSN and it’s 400% more expensive! Who could have guessed? The blatent greed of it all, whoever priced this has no shame. No worries, I’ll vote with my wallet.

M3notu666 12 December, 2012 @ 3:59 am   37

Ohk so im not just saying this cause im from New
Zealand, but @3, come on man, AU stands for Australia….

Seriously?? Vice City (the best GTA) just got released for iOS for next to nothing and it was HD… This is a joke right?

vice -Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas are both top gta games
but no hd remake + no trophies = not more then 8/9 €

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 12 December, 2012 @ 6:25 am   40

I have this on disc and would only buy it at this extortionate price if it ran on my Vita. The Ps2 version IS the worst, I have both the Pc and Ps2 version and the Pc destroys the Ps2 version in every aspect; controls; graphics – you name it.

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 12 December, 2012 @ 6:26 am   41

What a joke this is. Get VC IOS on the Vita and sort this price out. This is theft. It’s £2 on Amazon for a box, manual and disc!

BiGsMoO7ke 12 December, 2012 @ 6:36 am   42

I Want This Badly < :)

The reason Vice City is not released is because legal problems with Michael Jackson songs.

Start the original Vice City, the first car you enter will always play Billie Jean, but in the mobile version (10th ani) it plays some other song.

They dont really want to change the game so they’re trying to (at least I hope they are) solve the problems and release the game as it is.

Thank you for your time and spread the word.

€15?No thanks.Have this on disc for ps2 and xbox.Xbox version looks great on my 360,better than when i tried the ps2 version on my old 60gb ps3.

£11.99 is pretty much the same price I paid to get ALL GTA games ever released on Steam sale. Ok, I get it that PC games are always going to be cheaper than console versions but this is just ridiculous. Guys, seriously, don’t buy this. There’s bound to be an offer at some point, most likely before the release of GTA V..

Great game but not for me at that price, wait for the sale in a few months.

I was toying with the idea of getting this despite having it on PS2, because I’m not sure how much longer my PS2 controller is going to last for as after 11 years service the left analogue stick’s a bit knackered and wire’s coming loose, but at £11.99 for a straight port with no HD I think I’ll pass!

MASPALOMAZ 12 December, 2012 @ 8:51 am   48

So I guess its time to say BYE to PSN and get an iPad and buy the game in HD for just 3.

i was looking forward to this, but at that price (which will translate into AU$20) you’re dreaming.

JezzieJames 12 December, 2012 @ 9:28 am   50

I’m just annoyed that we had to wait 4 years after it was released as a downloadable version on the Xbox to get it on psn. What’s up with that?

Nearly hitting 30 years old, I am beginning to see how different generations think about sequels. IMO Grand Theft Auto was the best GTA game. It was set in liberty city, Vice City and San Andreas. The soundtrack was original and catchy and the birds eye view made the game fun. Like many players of the GTA series I was not old enough to play the game but that didn’t stop me. I have found the 3D ones to be a bit of chore to be honest.

grimbarian 12 December, 2012 @ 9:45 am   52

Felt I had to post and add to this.

At £7.99 or simliar you would have had a customer – even though I own it on PC and PS2.

At £11.99, it appears as nothing more than just trying to cash in, and there’s no chance of me buying.

Most disappointing is the lack of a reply from R*Q. Some developers are really good at following up their announcements by addressing questions and engaging the community – even if I’m not too interested in the game, this shows passion and willing on the part of the game producers and usually ends up with me purchasing.

Shame we don’t have a response from you R*Q as to any news on a Vice City port, any chance of HD Remix, or the reasoning for the cost.

I bought this off XBL in a sale a few years ago. Even a few years ago it had aged horribly and I didn’t want to play it was so dated.

Word of warning to peeps.

At such a high price without trophies and/or a remake? Not worth it. If it had trophies I would have bought it straight away regardless of the price. San Andreas is easily the best gta but it’s the exact same as the ps2 version so if I want to play it I’ll just plug my ps2 in.

Starting to believe sony thinks we’re idiots

what time is it coming out for the uk? cant wait its the best gta that was ever made

Sahlokniira 12 December, 2012 @ 10:05 am   56

If it was a HD Remake with Trophies I Would pay £12, IMO this is just greedy and they know people will pay that amount

I won’t be buying it. £11.99 is far too expensive. I bough the original GTA for £7.99 on PSN and that’s the most I’d ever pay for a non HD PS2 digital game.

Catkiller1 12 December, 2012 @ 10:24 am   58

*SPITS OUT COFFEE*

£11.99??!! No thanks!

Rockstar should have released GTA 3, Vice City & San Andreas within a HD Collection!

Also, as Bull has been mentioned, that would be great too!

No HD, No Trophies and too high a price means no buy from me.
It’s a shame when developers just do a lazy port to cash in.

JezTheDeadBaby 12 December, 2012 @ 10:29 am   60

Still waiting to see it in store…. not as yet!!! And although its expensive its THE GAME so what do you expect.

marach_liz 12 December, 2012 @ 10:51 am   61

I love GTA, but I must agree that this price is ridiculous.
You guys could’ve at least add some trophies.

Also: Hell Yes for Bully!

We want HD remake!

Carnivius_Prime 12 December, 2012 @ 11:07 am   63

wow I hadn’t noticed the price before my first comment. And I thought the £7.99 price on some of the PS2 games was massively high for a game of that age with no improvements whatsoever. £11.99 is too high even for most actual PS3 PSN games. What’s the high cost for here when it’s simply the PS2 game?

Carnivius_Prime 12 December, 2012 @ 11:11 am   64

@51 I’m over 30 and while I normally prefer 2D entries in game series that went 3D, I found the original top down GTA’s incredibly boring to play and damn ugly too. The only joy I got out of them was pixelling new vehicles to import based on famous vehicles of my childhood (KITT, the Thundertank, Delorean and so on). The actual game itself didn’t get interesting for me til Vice City (I wasn’t that into GTA3… the 80′s vibe of VC hooked me somewhat). That said I’ve gone off GTA in a huge way anyways after the GTAIV and given how tedious I found Red Dead Redemption I’m not at all looking forward to GTAV.

M3RL1NS_N3M3S1S 12 December, 2012 @ 11:12 am   65

When i seen the post i was prepared to maybe drop the €10 on san andreas, €10 is pushing it but €15?! serously?! i’ll hang in there for the “HD” version on my “phone” for about a fiver… how can you justify charging more for the original game then you do for HD remakes?

Seriously R* it’s time for the mobile HD remakes to be bundled and released on consoles.

Fantastic game, price is high though.

chrishjericho 12 December, 2012 @ 11:23 am   67

The price should be higher, San Andreas is the best game ever made and offers hundreds of hours of fun. Compare this to Call Of Duty which costs £40, San Andreas is far better value.

As others have said to expensive, I still have my original GTA Trilogy on xbox. Wasn’t really a fan of San Andreas, didn’t like the setting at all, characters annoyed the hell out of me, plus the whole look of the game just felt bland to me to compared to GTA3/Vice City.

For PS store developer Will GTA san andreas going to be available in UAE store ??

£11.99 for any PS2 game from 2004, that has not received any HD remaster, texture upgrades, trophy lists, etc… no matter what game it is, is totally unacceptable. I will definitely not be buying this! I would rather return to it on my PS2 and play it on that.

Well this is a new trend for ps2 classics I never saw this price hike coming lol, you come on here not answering questions what so special about this ps2 classic?

This is the 1st ever ps2 classic that a premium price don’t care if it was good I was expect it to be at least in line with the rest I can see square enix doing the same trick too. Ps2 classics should be fair set at 7,99

Love rockstar to explain the price hike, I think I pass on this hell even GTA3 was at 7.99. :|

drewblazer 12 December, 2012 @ 12:11 pm   72

€15 for PS2 classic with no HD nor trophies support? No way.

For what it worth saying it not in HD that not true do you know what you saying it not full HD but it upscale to 720p sub-HD like the all blurry games are can you lot tell me how many full 1080 HD on blu ray I tell you one MGS4

There are not many full HD, but you right 12 quid a rip off I’m got GTA3 for 0.69 pence & Chinatown for that price apple likes to take risks sony SCEE rockstar does not. It always cheaper on IOS. :|

big rip off…15euro for a game that has not been remastered and which look much worse on a ps3 then on the PS2?? no thanks.

Everybody is complaining worldwide about the price..
First of all, this game should be FREE for P+.
Second, the correct price must be max 10euro, preferable 5euro as there is nothing changed.

£11.99 for a PS2 port with no trophies and no HD? No thanks.

PRTM_CLUESCROL 12 December, 2012 @ 1:09 pm   76

Hell no… 15 Euro for this (CENSORED) with no trophies or even new content…? You can even buy it used from gamestop for like 4 euro…

Gamesgbkiller 12 December, 2012 @ 1:13 pm   77

So .. this won’t be on my store like every other GTA games ?

supersmith2500 12 December, 2012 @ 1:39 pm   78

Rockstar, can’t you just re-release them as HD remakes? Other devs have done it EVEN Bandai with Dragonball Z.

Also, I assume you skipped Vice City because of music copyright issues with Sony Music right?

Sirogabober 12 December, 2012 @ 1:49 pm   79

no HD, no trophies, 15 euro?

But the version for Android / iOs produced in HD. It is better to take it for a few dollars than the old version and for the money

“we hear the feedback on the pricing and would like to point out that the price point on PlayStation Store is consistent with digital versions of San Andreas everywhere”

Maybe consistent but it dont stop it from being too expensive still.

Joining the queue of many people saying its too much and that £7.99 is a fair price.

No sale here. Very disappointed R*

Still, the people who buy AC3, Fifa and Need for Speed for £50 plus will lap it up!

GametimeUK 12 December, 2012 @ 2:13 pm   81

£12 is consistent with digital prices? It is available for Steam which has the potential to be a much better experience at the price of £10.

I think this PSN version should be priced no higher than £8 and that is generous on both sides. £12 would be the price of a stand alone HD version if it was sold seperately.

To put your pricing to shame I only have to point out that Mass Effect was released on the PS Store for a similar price. Kind of shows how much of a rip off these PS2 classics are. Souls rather just pay £1.99 for a used copy and game on my PS2 since its the same experience as on PS3. No updates, trophies etc Resolution is no better. I have it on PS2 and I may aswel just play it on that if I feel the need.

I love R* with all my heart, but I don’t agree with these prices or the PS2 classics in general for that matter. A HD remake would be the way to go.

GametimeUK 12 December, 2012 @ 2:15 pm   82

@above… my typo… souls = would

Would rather pay £1.99 for a used copy.

Rockstar, I worship the ground you walk on and everything you touch turns to gold, but even I can’t afford £11.99 for this with no extras, just a straight port. Trophies would be nice, but I have to agree with others. I was waiting for this since I saw your announcement on Facebook, but now it’s more bitter sweet. Maybe if I get a PSN card for christmas, then someone else can buy it me. The HD collection idea is awesome though, keep that in your mind lol.

When is it available in the UK?

looks like we need to steal some cash from prostitutes to pay for this rip off version.. I’d say start the revolution and BOYCOT the game. HD and trophies then 10 euro is an ok price.

I never finished San Andreas on my old PC and now its my chance to finish it.
Btw, are you going to release GTA 5 demo sometime next year?

Why ya’ll complaining about the price? Just get a physical copy off ebay or something and a cheap ps2. I still have all my ps2 games so glad I can play it when I want.

Although, they were selling a copy of this for £12.99 in my local GAME…XD

“we hear the feedback on the pricing and would like to point out that the price point on PlayStation Store is consistent with digital versions of San Andreas everywhere.”

You’ve still upped the price of the game though. GTA 3 was £7.99. I guess it sold well so you raised the price for San Andreas. I guess Vice City will be £19.99.

dirk_avfc 12 December, 2012 @ 4:30 pm   89

I’ve got this on Steam as I loved it on my old PS2 so much. With the graphics, resolution and detail all turned up it looks great. The cut-scenes textures look old though.
The price of this and no HD re-cut has made me investigate using a PS3 controller on my PC.

solarwind12 12 December, 2012 @ 6:20 pm   90

This is a defo buy, 11.99 is more than other ps2 games, But San Andreas is much more Game than most anything Ever. i find it strange that ppl are moaning for the sake of a extra 4 pounds, for This. so just wait for a few months or longer till it’s in a sale, or carry on using the ps2, your choice, meanwhile i will be re-playing this monster. and if i am honest, thank God that theres no trophies to distract me, also about this extra 4£, isn’t that kinda similar to the ordinary ps1 classics versus the extra-ordinary, FF7or8 is it, or Metal Gear one ?. yet i don’t recal many ppl saying they were overpriced, well to the point were they weren’t gonna buy them i mean. Just my opinion as the too much pricetag is others.

solarwind12 12 December, 2012 @ 6:36 pm   91

@ Rockstar.
Just because this and other GTA game/s are getting a ps2 release, i am hoping that one day you can rework this into a (at least !) HD remake, even add trophies and that, tbh, i would love it if it could be 3D as well, but, as others have asked, hopefully (soon) we will get a chance to play as CJ in updated graphics, it’ll probably outsell many new IPs IF it was to happen, fingers crossed and stuff.. Can you let us know if this might happen one day ?. thanks.

bennyrafal 12 December, 2012 @ 6:58 pm   92

Dear RockStar – those should be HD remakes – also on vita where possible…

mckenna90 12 December, 2012 @ 7:32 pm   93

First off its about time Sony finally got around to bringing grand theft auto games back dont know why it took so damnn long….iv been waiting for grand theft auto games to come back since HD collections came about and i am so pissed that San andreas is not getting a HD look i mean WTF surely old GTA games deserve the HD look like MGS J&D R&C hell even RE4 got the HD look…when GTA 3 came out as a classic with no HD or Trophies i thought Vice city and San Andreas would surely get it next time but looks like i was wrong just coming out as a classic?! Out of all the games Sony would give the HD port i always thought GTA games would be at the top the list I would have even paid £15 for a HD version of San Andreas but all that waiting for it to come out and be £11.99 with no HD or Trophies…..Very Disappointing

Agree with all the comments about it being a bit pricey and having no HD update or Trophies, but I bought it anyway. It’s GTA San Andreas FFS. Video games don’t get any better than this.

Banaan0202 13 December, 2012 @ 6:51 pm   95

Rockstar, how about an HD remake? Or update the current version with trophies…

I don’t think it costs too much effort to create an HD remake?

monkeyboyfreak 13 December, 2012 @ 7:41 pm   96

Is it out in the UK ?

monkeyboyfreak 13 December, 2012 @ 7:44 pm   97

Is it out in the uk?

KILLAHRAY 17 December, 2012 @ 9:15 am   98

Wow this is the best gta ever and i’m willing to pay 15$ cuz this game is awesome and totall worth it and for all those complaining get a frickin job then u will be able to afford 15$ isn’t even pricy I mean come on people