Posted 5:00pm

PlayStation.Blog Game of the Year Awards 2012: All the winners

GOTY_LogoLockUp

The polls are closed and the votes have been tallied. Read on for the full list of PlayStation.Blog Game of the Year Awards winners as chosen by you, plus a few Editors’ Choice picks from the extended PlayStation.Blog team.

I want to thank each and every one of you for voting, debating, and commenting on our first annual awards! As predicted, the process wasn’t entirely without its hiccups, but in general I think it was a pretty good first attempt. That said, we absolutely want your feedback on next year’s awards, which will be bigger and better in many ways. Please provide your feedback in the comments – we’ll be referring to it in preparation for next year!

‘Nuff said. Read on to see the very best in PlayStation gaming for 2012 as chosen by PlayStation gamers worldwide.

PS3 Game of the Year

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - PS3 Platinum

Assassin’s Creed III

GotY: Assassins Creed 3
This one was a squeaker, but Ubisoft Montreal’s period epic inched past a strong showing by Gearbox Software’s well-received shooter.

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - Editor's Choice

Dishonored – “For my money, this was the smartest, most distinctive FPS of the year, shoehorning adult themes, nuanced characters and sophisticated gameplay mechanics into a wince-inducingly visceral campaign. Oh, and it was great to see so many primary colours too! Sequel please!”

– Fred Dutton, Manager, EU PlayStation.Blog

XCOM: Enemy Unknown – “This game scratched an itch I didn’t know I had, weaving tense turn-based firefights into a shockingly addictive management simulation. This is a refreshing and utterly fascinating game with a surprise and a delight around every corner. Highly recommended.”

– Sid Shuman, Manager, US PlayStation.Blog

PS3 Game of the Year (PSN Only)

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - PS3 (PSN) Platinum

Journey

GotY: Journey
Thatgamecompany’s wildly original opus was always the favorite to win this category, though Telltale Games’ heartbreaking series The Walking Dead finished strong.

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - Editor's Choice

Journey – “Some complained that it was too brief, but Journey’s three hours of playtime will surely live longer in the memory than almost any other release this year. This is joyful, uplifting, must-play material. And, no, there’s no shame in admitting its final moments set your bottom lip aquiver, right?”

– Fred Dutton, EU PlayStation.Blog

The Walking Dead – Episodes 1 – 5 – “Telltale’s memorable series starts small but slowly builds to towering emotional heights, culminating in what may be the greatest gaming moment of the year. This is a prime example of the narrative potential of videogames – don’t you dare miss it.”

– Sid Shuman, US PlayStation.Blog

PS Vita Game of the Year

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - PS Vita Platinum

UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss

GotY: UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss
It was close for a while, but when the dust settled there was a very clear, Drake-shaped winner. UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss deservedly takes the Platinum prize for your Vita Game of the Year. Kat and Sackboy duked it out for Gold and Silver respectively, and we also saw much love for Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward in the write-in vote.

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - Editor's Choice

Gravity Rush – “Feisty, flighty heroine Kat is hands-down my favourite new character of the year, and the game she’s wrapped up in is none too shabby with either. Gravity Rush is a charming adventure that did a fantastic job of showcasing the PS Vita’s considerable horsepower and versatility.”

– Nick Suttner, PlayStation Blogcast US co-host

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale – “A tough choice, but my voracious appetite for portable pugilism ultimately tipped the scales in favour of the All-Stars. SuperBot’s slavish attention to detail shines on the OLED screen and the characters feel intoxicatingly powerful, making this a perfect choice for mobile encounters.”

– Sid Shuman, US PlayStation.Blog

PS Vita Game of the Year (PSN Only)

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - PS Vita (PSN) Platinum

MotorStorm RC

While our chums in the US may have elected Sound Shapes as their winner in this category, here in EU it was all about putting pedal to the metal. Evolution Studios’ miniature racer was your Platinum winner, followed very closely indeed by Escape Plan in this hotly contested category.

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - Editor's Choice

Sound Shapes – “Jonathan Mak’s unique approach to game design yields one of the biggest surprises of the year: A whimsical musical platformer that whisks you away on a magical tour of five imaginative worlds, leading inexorably to a momentous meeting with Beck.”

– Sid Shuman, US PlayStation.Blog

When Vikings Attack! – “Okay, maybe I’m biased, but I found When Vikings Attack!’s bonkers Britishness impossible to resist. If there was a more satisfying mechanic in gaming in 2013 than flinging a skip at a gang of Viking invaders, I certainly wasn’t privy to it. If you’re after a hidden gem to discover this Christmas, you could do a lot, lot worse.”

– Fred Dutton, EU PlayStation.Blog

PS Mobile Game of the Year

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - PS Mobile Platinum

Super Crate Box

GotY: Super Crate Box
In a surprisingly tight race with several favorites jockeying for position, Super Crate Box’s accessible, addictive formula came out on top in the PS Mobile arena. The most popular write-in vote? Lemmings.

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - PS Mobile Gold
Sixty Second Shooter
PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - PS Mobile Bronze
Aqua Kitty
PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - PS Mobile Silver
Everybody’s Arcade
PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - Editor's Choice

Rebel – “Super Crate Box is the easy choice, but with that well-trod I want to make sure that no one misses out on Rebel. A sort of anti-Crate Box that has you dodging falling weapons crates while turning enemies against each other, Rebel feels satisfying thanks to a brilliant reward loop of upgrades that turn time-waster into skillful navigator.”

– Nick Suttner, PlayStation Blogcast co-host

Super Crate Box – “Believe it or not, I reckon I’ve played SCB more than any game in any category. Vlambeer’s bite-sized score-attack platformer was an ingenious confection, and nailed that just-one-more-game catchiness better than any other title this year.”

– Fred Dutton, EU PlayStation.Blog

Best Use of PlayStation Move

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - Best Use of PS Move

Portal 2 In Motion

Another tight race, with Sixense’s Portal 2 expansion pack beating back a potent showing from PlayStation Move favorite Sorcery and close runners-up Wonderbook: Book of Spells and Sports Champions 2, while Okami HD claimed the most write-in votes.

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - Editor's Choice

Datura – “Probably the best example yet of how PS Move can open up new ways to interact. Navigating the dreamlike forests of Datura from a first-person perspective using PS Move brings a hypnotic surreal quality, as well as a more tactile interface. Really cool stuff.”

– Sid Shuman, US PlayStation.Blog

PixelJunk 4am – “Sure, it’s something of an acquired taste and plays best, as advertised, in the small hours after a night on the town, but Q-Game’s music plaything really got its hooks in me over the summer. If you like your digital entertainment arty, freeform and very, very bleepy, this one’s for you.”

– Fred Dutton, EU PlayStation.Blog

Most Anticipated PS3 Game

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - PS3 Most Anticipated Platinum

The Last of Us

GotY: The Last of Us
Despite powerful resistance from Grand Theft Auto 5, Naughty Dog’s highly anticipated post-apocalyptic journey The Last of Us claimed the coveted Platinum prize. Bronze winner BioShock Infinite topped Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch by just a handful of votes, while Namco Bandai’s RPG Tales of Xillia earned the most write-in votes.

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - PS3 Most Anticipated Gold
Grand Theft Auto 5
PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - PS3 Most Anticipated Bronze
BioShock Infinite
PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - PS3 Most Anticipated Silver
God of War: Ascension
PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - Editor's Choice

Puppeteer – “A close call between this and BioShock, but my innate predisposition towards anything involving 2D visuals, running, and jumping won through. Japan Studios’ lovely platformer is a true feast for the senses, shot through with a delightfully dark sense of humor and A-grade character design. One to watch out for.”

– Fred Dutton, EU PlayStation.Blog

The Last of Us – “An agonizing decision, but (sorry BioShock Infinite) I’m putting my money on Naughty Dog. I’m drawn to the game’s suffocating atmosphere of hopelessness, but I’m also dying to learn more about the fragile relationship between innocent Ellie and world-weary Joel. Fingers crossed that Naughty Dog pulls off something extraordinary here.”

– Sid Shuman, US PlayStation.Blog

Most Anticipated PS Vita Game

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - PS Vita Most Anticipated Platinum

Killzone Mercenary

GotY: Killzone Mercenary
Strong showings from Sly Cooper, Soul Sacrifice, and Tearaway weren’t enough to unseat Guerilla’s upcoming powerhouse. Intriguingly, Atlus USA’s mysterious Dragon’s Crown earned the most write-in votes.

PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - PS Vita Most Anticipated Gold
Soul Sacrifice
PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - PS Vita Most Anticipated Bronze
Tearaway
PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - PS Vita Most Anticipated Silver
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
PS.Blog Game of the Year 2012 - Editor's Choice

Soul Sacrifice – “Inafune’s dark fantasy promises to bring some serious emotional gravity to the co-op battlefields, such as tragic boss monsters that beg for mercy and an alarming array of life-or-death choices. I’m particularly drawn to the grim, almost grotesque art style.”

– Sid Shuman, US PlayStation.Blog

Tearaway – “Can’t wait. Expect wild innovation, free-wheeling creativity and charm in abundance. If you don’t covet a PS Vita now, just wait until this one lands on shelves.”

– Fred Dutton, EU PlayStation.Blog

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

45 Comments 8 Author replies
Show oldest first

AC3 sucked dude

Almost as bad as the Spike VGAs! Wheres LittleBigPlanet Vita?!

S-o-h-a-i-l 19 December, 2012 @ 6:39 pm   3

So glad AC3 won Game of the Year, it was between that and Far Cry 3 for me personally.

Now lets hear more about Killzone: Mercenary !

2# This is votes by the community. Little big planet vita just didn’t make it to people best game. It was my second best game after Gravity Rush.

Stonesthrow 19 December, 2012 @ 6:48 pm   5

Was a close call for me between AC3, Far cry 3 and Dishonored. Picked AC3 because of their effort to introduce a new engine this late in this generation. Most anticipated was a hard choice between GTA5 and Last of us, and I picked the first.

uncleniccius 19 December, 2012 @ 6:49 pm   6

The only one I agree with is Motorstorm as GOTY for Vita download, and possibly TLOU (it is a joint top for me).
AC:3 was a huge disappointment to me!
The Unfinished Swan should have been 2nd on Vita downloads too, with LBP Vita first for vita and Gravity Rush second..
this is all my opinion though.

I can’t see why AC3 got game of the year, It and Liberation would have got in there except for they were both full of bugs and flawed code.

It was indeed an excellent game, just not worthy of the top trophy simply down to negligent workmanship.

Definitely looking forward to Killzone Mercanaries but we seem to have more info to go one foe Soul Sacrafice. Can’t wait.

Wow. This is what happens when you let the general public vote. Sigh.

almighty-slayer 19 December, 2012 @ 6:56 pm   9

What a terrible, terrible list.

dark_angel69 19 December, 2012 @ 6:58 pm   10

The Last of Us and Assassin’s creed 3 both got the plat!! No surprises there. It was expected! :D

So Fred you voted for Dishonored? What place did it come in? And what about Watchdog and Beyond two souls?

Has anyone voted for Final Fantasy X HD or any other Final Fantasy games? I thought about selecting ‘other’ and type in Final Fantasy X HD but then again there is no news if it is even coming out in 2013

Fred Dutton 20 December, 2012 @ 9:02 am

I’m not sure actually – I’ll go into the data and have a look. It was just bubbling under I believe. Loved the game – but just started playing Far Cry 3, so that might pip it…

Beyond did very well in the vote but just missed out. Watch Dogs was a bit further down – maybe people don’t know quite enough about it yet.

dominater444 19 December, 2012 @ 6:59 pm   11

WOW,i never though Sly Cooper thieves in time would make it!But I personally think that a Silver throphy isn’t enough.But it isn’t me to judge that,i’m really happy to see him in the list :) also Uncharted Golden abyss was already sure about it when i bought it,also i have played gravity rush and AC3L and they are good games also I’m curious how it feels to play Killzone mercenary,maybe my next Vita game,if you don’t count Sly Cooper Thieves in time on psvita that comes with PS3 version.

dominater444 19 December, 2012 @ 7:01 pm   12

Also now that i’m talking about Sly Cooper,when is the demo coming?Sanzaru Games said somewhere in january,but a real date would be fine :) after all we still need to wait 50 more days than the US
,something that’s SOOOO stupid.

Fred Dutton 20 December, 2012 @ 9:02 am

I haven’t got a date to announce today unfortunately. I’m sure you wont have too long to wait.

S-o-h-a-i-l 19 December, 2012 @ 7:01 pm   13

Gotta add – Persona 4 Golden is a game to watch out for on the Vita. Imported my copy & it is an absolute gem. Look forward to hearing peoples opinions when it launches here in the UK in February.

Jamesyp00 19 December, 2012 @ 7:05 pm   14

Wow how did AC3 win GOTY here?! It was awful, one of the worst ones yet!

Portal 2 in Motion, was the only good use of the Move this year!

THE_FORCE 19 December, 2012 @ 8:19 pm   16

Justice prevails…Golden Abyss was a triumph of a game. The fact it was on a handheld was even more amazing. Other portable devices can only dream of running a quality title like that.

Bit gutted that Ni No Kuni didn’t get an honorary mention anywhere in the anticipated section for 2013. Considering that exclusive JRPGs are so few and far between on the PS3 (especially of this caliber) this is going to be a breath of fresh air next year. 8-)

Fred Dutton 20 December, 2012 @ 9:04 am

As stated above – BioShock Infinite only beat it to Bronze by a handful of votes. Very close category.

THE_FORCE 19 December, 2012 @ 8:27 pm   17

@uncleniccius (6) you state that The Unfinished Swan should’ve been 2nd for ‘Vita downloads’.

Is it available on the Vita then ? :/

TitManSoldier 19 December, 2012 @ 8:58 pm   18

I think this is the most legit gaming award voting i agree with all but i dont think ac3 was goty. It was good but not AMAZING

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 19 December, 2012 @ 9:08 pm   19

Please may you discount some PSP and PS1 classics for use on my Vita? It’s Christmas, come on. In addition, the PsV has had little discounted content so this would be the perfect make-up towards us Vita owners. Remember PS1 classics to be discounted, please.

Wait this is different from the US version. Persona 4 Golden got the Gold award not Gravity Rush. What’s going on? Is it cause that game hasnt been released over here yet? Cause if not then this voting is the worldwide vote is it?

Fred Dutton 20 December, 2012 @ 9:07 am

Yes, the EU list is slightly different – Persona 4 isn’t out here for a month or two, so it wouldn’t have made sense having it in that category for EU. The list reflects the EU vote.

Strangeheaven 19 December, 2012 @ 10:15 pm   21

And the worst game of the year goes to Resident Evil 6. How on earth did that game pass quality control.

PL---PePe---PL 19 December, 2012 @ 10:23 pm   22

For me best PSN game this year was Okami HD ^^

A game that has scored 84% on Metacritic is crowned GOTY 2012. Riiight. Maybe that says something about the poor state of the industry (and don’t start blaming the hardware for this).

Project2insanity 20 December, 2012 @ 12:27 am   24

Whilst I don’t agree with all choices here, it’s a very fair list. Gutted Dishonored wasn’t a fan-favourite but that’s the way the votes ran. Overall, I think PSN has given out the most important titles this year rather than blu-ray. Catherine was an exceptional delight from the latter. Next year seems to be shaping up to bring the strength back to blu-ray. Gamers won’t lose either way.

Best game of the year out of all consol & PC? Arma2/DayZ search it up on youtube! Hopefully it comes to ps3 next year.

WizarD_X3m 20 December, 2012 @ 6:09 am   26

Journey was the best and unique game experience for me this year. All this shooters and adventures can’t compare with it.
But this year is sucks on games. Next will be great… or even better than “great”. The Last of Us, Beyond, God of War, Bayonetta 2 (Wii U), Monster Hunter (Wii U), Metal Gear Revengeance, GTA 5, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Rider and many other titles.
I don’t know where to find a time to play all this, but… SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

AC3 sucks and why is it game of the year?!?!? Borderlands 2 or Far Cry 3 deserved it more!!!

So disappointed

residentSteve 20 December, 2012 @ 6:28 am   28

Really @23 re6 is my game of the year, I know it’s not the best re but this year has been awful for games ac3 was awful also ridge racer unbounded, sleeping dogs, re Orc and max Payne 3.

Excellent list! A lot of good games and almost the same winners where I voted on.

THE_FORCE 20 December, 2012 @ 8:48 am   30

2013. Next generation Playstation. Can’t wait.

@Fred

Since you’re here, I have to ask why the Vita has been completely ignored in the sales.

5 out of the last 6 sales have had no vita content. Can you and the rest of the team buy Chris one for Christmas, so he’s aware of it’s existence?

thanks.

Kurupt_El_Don 20 December, 2012 @ 10:52 am   32

hi there..based on the awards and winners mentioned above i’ve decided to buy motorstorm rc complete edition..on my ps3 i’ve got the full game but on my vita it shows trial and the motorstorm logo still has that key and lock..since this is a cross buy it shouldnt really b happening ryt??how do i unlock it??thanks

Catkiller1 20 December, 2012 @ 11:01 am   33

I would have expected Beyond: Two Souls to have appeared within the most anticipated but I guess there aren’t that many gamers out there interested??

My most anticipated that hasn’t been announced yet & still hasn’t received enough votes, is for TimeSplitters HD Trilogy!

Crytek have stated that the current petition of over 71,000 still isn’t convincing enough & they require 300,000!

Enjoying Street Fighter X Megaman & Abobo’s Big Adventure at the moment & hopefully these 2 titles will release on PSN & receive trophy support.

platinum dissapointment of the year-Assassin’s Creed III. Game u need brains 2 ”play”-that’s why it wasn’t on top-and most pleasant surprise among those ”you-have-to-go-this-way” games.

PMurphy1978 20 December, 2012 @ 12:36 pm   35

@singspamsux they quite often do. Most of the time its for comments that aren’t really acceptable, but lately I have been seeing valid points disappearing, which is even worse than not answering them.

PS3 Game of the Year – all shooters, or close variations thereof? There are other types of games, you know. I haven’t played any of those 4, nor will I – too boring.

if you complain about that singstar icon your comment is likely to be deleted , its very sad how a previously great XMB has been destroyed by that annonying singstar icon and wallpaper :(

Well, I disagree with many of those choices, but at least you guys (my fellow players, I mean) saw fit to give Motorstorm RC a Platinum podium position.

Journey and that, sure, I’m cool with that.

AC3? Nah. But I see where you’re coming from.

Uncharted: GA? Bwahaha! Chortle! Snort! Gimme some of what you’re smoking. Do the charcoal rubbings become a symphony of light and colour when you’re high enough?

pressmyfoot 20 December, 2012 @ 1:34 pm   39

I hated the charcoal rubbings.

But the rest of the game was top-notch. Action wise.

Needed more Elena.

Would quite like to see another metal gear acid.

Pmf. (el esdee)

xxSamuraiGirlxx 20 December, 2012 @ 2:02 pm   40

@catkiller1
ikr?..i voted for beyond i’m surprised it didn’t even get a look in.
but to be fair people are talking more about last of us cause nd are releasing more info about the game. both going to be day one purchases for me anyway. =D

people who voted ac3 game of the year i think must not have played the other games in the series, it’s the worst one out of all of them (worse than ac1?…debatable =P). i don’t care about assassin’s creed anymore. i was really disappointed with it..

Catkiller1 20 December, 2012 @ 2:21 pm   41

@ xxSamuraiGirlxx

Are you on Black Ops 2?

I’m sure I was in a match with you last week, or I may be wrong??

If it was you, not bad at all ;)

And-12345 20 December, 2012 @ 2:37 pm   42

What a load of rubbish, this list made me puke. Tearaway is obviously the most interesting game of the Vita 2013, it can beat any repetitive FPS, even Killzone. Man, this list is real crap.

dark_angel69 20 December, 2012 @ 6:10 pm   43

@And-12345
Do you really hate it that much? Maybe the reason why Tearaway never made it to the top because it isn’t as popular as you wanted it to be. Not everyone has the same taste in games as you do. No-matter how much you dislike that list, they clearly are the more popular games if they make it to the top.

Assassin’s Creed 3? GotY 2012? Just shows you what happens when kids are the primary voters. The fact that Black Ops 2 even registered proves the majority being tween votes.

About as credible as the VGA’s.

acarracarr 26 December, 2012 @ 11:50 pm   45

TV/Video Hizmetleri ben yararlanamıyorum neden ve ınternet uzerınden fılım ızlemek ıcın flash pleyr ıstıyor ıslerden yardım ıstıyorum but konuda…