Posted 1:00pm

PlayStation Plus: Your January content

lead image bioshock 2l

Hello everyone! I hope you’re all enjoying the new content that arrived on PlayStation Plus at the beginning of December. As we move through the gift-giving season I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to inform you of all the awesome content changes you can expect in January.

But before that, I wanted to let you know about a great offer that starts today on the PlayStation Store. As soon as the store has been updated, the PS Plus 1 year membership will be available at an incredible 25% off its usual price!

Until 9th January you can get a whole year’s subscription for a one-off payment of only £29.99/€37.49. And remember – you can stack your membership so you can treat yourself even if you’re an existing member!

Right, onto this month’s games. Kicking things off is your lead title for January – BioShock 2, diving into the PlayStation Plus service from 2nd January for four weeks.

Developed by the talented teams at 2K Marin and Digital Extremes, this first person shooter takes you back to the underwater dystopia of Rapture. You’ll step into the boots of the original ‘Big Daddy’ in a thrilling adventure that see you tracking down the evil force responsible for snatching girls for the Atlantic coastline.

With BioShock Infinite on the horizon, this is the perfect opportunity to get your aim back in.

The next title entering the service, also on 2nd January, is the acclaimed Guardians of Middle Earth from our friends at Warner Bros – an authentic multiplayer online battle arena game set in The Lord of the Rings universe and specially crafted for console systems. Take a look at the trailer below to see it in action.

The final PS3 title entering the service on 2nd January is Mortal Kombat. Those of you who have a PS Vita might already be taking advantage of this title on the move but now you can also enjoy this classic beat ‘em up on your TV screens too.

Unfortunately, we’re unable to offer our friends in Australia and Germany this game due to regional rating issues so as a replacement we’ve secured Gotham City Impostors in those two territories. Hatched from the twisted minds at Monolith Productions, this multiplayer first person shooter pits violent vigilantes against crazed criminals in open warfare on the streets of Gotham City.

Screenshot181

Moving onto PS Vita, the first game joining the service on 16th January is the heavily requested Jet Set Radio. You must join up with the GGs – an up-and-coming street gang in the futuristic city of Tokyo-to fighting for self-expression. Rolling through crowded urban environments on magnetically-driven inline skates, you take control of gang leader Beat and his growing posse of artists as they steal turf from local gangs by covering the city with graffiti.

JSR_E_486x203_BANNER

Secondly, entering the service on 23rd January is the PS Vita version of The Pinball Arcade. This impressive title really nails the retro score-chasing thrills of the pinball machines of old. Check out the trailer below for a closer look.

As usual, you can also expect exclusive PS Plus discounts on lots of titles, including Foosball 2012, Wakeboard HD and Oddworld Stranger’s Wrath HD. We’ll update you on these offers in the weekly Store posts.

In summary:

Leaving PS Plus:

• 2nd January – Batman: Arkham City
  • 2nd January – Bulletstorm
  • 2nd January – Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition
  • 16th January – Mortal Kombat (PS Vita)
  • 23rd January – Knytt Underground

Joining PS Plus:

• 2nd January – Bioshock 2
  • 2nd January – Guardians of Middle Earth
  • 2nd January – Mortal Kombat – excluding Australia and Germany
  • 2nd January – Gotham City Imposters – Australia and Germany only
  • 16th January – Jet Set Radio (PS Vita)
  • 23rd January – Pinball Arcade (PS Vita)

If you are not currently a Plus member, visit our PlayStation Plus site to find out more about the service. Here you’ll learn all you need to know about the Instant Game Collection, which gives members access to at least 14 games at any one time, and over 65 games across the course of a 12 month subscription – all for a one-off payment of just £39.99.

But don’t forget from 19th December until 9th January you can claim 25% off this price by purchasing through the PlayStation Store.

That’s all from me this year folks! I’ll be back with more updates in 2013! Bring it on!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

301 Comments 21 Author replies
Show oldest first

Finka_Karfein 19 December, 2012 @ 1:11 pm   1

I presume, Mortal Kombat will be without the Komplete characters? If so, will any discounts be available?

Not the greatest month. But Jet Set Radio on the Vita is good enough for me, was hoping for Wipeout 2048 though.

blade1003605 19 December, 2012 @ 1:11 pm   3

Great list on PS3. Still wanna Wipeout Vita on Plus.

It’s alright, Bioshock 1 would have been cooler than 2 but hopefully this will boost the multiplayer for trophy hunters.

Impressive amount of content.

I need to stop buying games at launch though.

KillaT2501 19 December, 2012 @ 1:14 pm   6

Playstation Plus is looking good for 2013

Nice,

Ive been waiting for a excuse to play Bioshock again.
Anychance we can get a discount on Bioshock 1?

Gamesgbkiller 19 December, 2012 @ 1:15 pm   8

WOW!
But why Australia and Germany getting another game ?
Don’t get me wrong ..BUT …
If you remember that game that didn’t come to SA store, we didn’t get other game like Australia and Germany .. just nothing . so why ?!
or I’m forgetting something .
Any way cool Australia and Germany ..
Thanks!

Chris Howe 19 December, 2012 @ 2:32 pm

I am still working with the teams here to come to a solution for that issue, due to the holiday break I will assume I will get a response in the new year

Good job of Guardians of Middle Earth and Jet Details Radio in particular. Looks like a happy new year.

@chris

thanks for the heads up looking forward to pinball arcade on the vita as i like pinball games.
is this not a cross buy title? so do we get both or is it just the dlc that is cross buy?
any chance of a discount on some of the pinball arcade dlc to run alongside the game being on plus?

mortal kombat is a great game and id be more excited for it if we were not already getting the komplete edition free on vita today.

i really want us to have street fighter 4 arcade added in a future update and requested this before it even showed up on usa plus is there any chance of us getting this in a future update?

Chris Howe 19 December, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

the game is cross buy but as far as I know our agreement with the publisher only allows us to use the VITA version. I will double check this and let you know

marach_liz 19 December, 2012 @ 1:15 pm   11

Yes. A great game of the month for me. Hopefully some nice deal on the first Bioshock will follow. The only problem with Bioshock games is that they weight quite a lot which means I will have to free some space on my PS3.

Hey, what about discounts like Little Big Planet Vita, Dyad, Catherine etc.

They are heavily discounted on US Store this week. Won’t we have it?

AshishSahoo 19 December, 2012 @ 1:18 pm   13

@Everyone at ps blog,
Thanks to everyone at sony for launching the amazing pc store. It really helps me access ps3 store easily.

Vita offerings are a little weak in jan, as there are no retail games there. Maybe put disgaea next month ? :) I would not like wipeout 2048 or unit 13 since I know both.

Faustofausto 19 December, 2012 @ 1:18 pm   14

Simple amazing! Thank you! :D

Chris give us an update on Festive Sale !

almighty-slayer 19 December, 2012 @ 1:19 pm   16

Eh, nothing great here at all. Shame.

@Gamesgbkiller +1

Chocobo115 19 December, 2012 @ 1:19 pm   18

It’s allright, already got Bioshock 2, and will pick up MK for Vita next today.

dynamojeeb 19 December, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   19

JSR on my birthday! Why SCEE you are so very kind :D

Jestersoil 19 December, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   20

i’m in for Guardians Of Middle-Earth and Mortal Kombat and Bioshock 2 (just swapped my copy)!! :D
1 question: will Mortal Kombat be the Komplete edition?????

ImbaMarcel 19 December, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   21

No! JUST NO!
I’m from germany (captain obvious) and Gotham City Impostors?
You get this game 4 free on steam and also nobody play it anymore on the PSN!
The same like this month..
Mortal Kombat for EU. Lego Batman for DE. But not Lego Batman or 2 for PsVita. The 2008-PSP-Version.
Shut the (CENSORED) up sony, i’m out.

very mediocre month then =\, BS2 is already super cheap everywhere and simply old, I get that Infinite is out next year but still, Id have preferred GCI tbh, I thought we were getting it as the Americans got it last year, would have beena good AC companion imo x_X.
might dl GOME but prolly not Mortal Kombat, so really theres nothing of any interest at all, unless theres any bonus ones x_x.

PsychoDantis 19 December, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   23

Weak offerings on the Vita, and MK is a disappointment, considering we get the Vita version today.

I guess every month can’t be a winner. :/

That’s fantastic news!Never got to play any of the Bioshock titles so far, so just got Bioshock 1 for a tenner from amazon, and now this!!! Guardians of Middle Earth and Mortal Kombat are most welcome too, though I’ll most likely play Mortal Kombat more on the Vita. Keep up the good work! I can’t see how anyone can resist signing up to PS Plus, I think it’s the best thing Sony’s ever done for the PS3 and Vita!

Mmmm no free retail game for Vita? where’s Wipeout?

Lol I was hoping we wouldn’t get Bioshock 2 like USA got it this month…

The rest of the content is very welcome, although USA already got Jet Set Radio HD and Wipeout for PSVita at launch for the instant game collection, so it is just catching up now, well half that is, probably Wipeout 2048 for February then I guess.

The Pinball game is nice, although I already have Zen Pinball 2 through cross buy but nice to see what tables this game brings.

@ Chris

Question: USA got festival/extra week of sales starting now till 24th that also had PSVita deals on some great games like

LBP Vita for around 18 USD for PS+ members, Escape Plan for about 7 to 8 USD etc.

A while ago there was said you were looking into PSVita deals for the festival sales in EU, because the Christmas deals had none.

When can we expect an update on that? I’d like to buy LBPV and Escape Plan if the deals meet the American ones!

Crimboski 19 December, 2012 @ 1:22 pm   27

Great games again, though Only Guardians of middle earth is new to me. Bioshock 2 is amazing though, and probably worth another play through.

Can’t wait to get a vita with all these ps+ games, but I know a hefty price cut has to be nearby.

Soliduss_hun 19 December, 2012 @ 1:24 pm   28

Great games, another fantastic Januar…. oh boy I need to buy larger HDD :(

INS1GHTFUL 19 December, 2012 @ 1:24 pm   29

Oh man, I just bought jet set radio recently. Oh well, it’s a great game so lots of people will enjoy it.

Great stuff again, thanks.

Soliduss_hun 19 December, 2012 @ 1:26 pm   31

I think itt will be the Standard Mortal Kombat edition.

In Ps+ the Dlc-s make money to the company-s.

Benji86NL 19 December, 2012 @ 1:29 pm   32

When will Mortal Kombat arrive for Vita? It’s still in the store for €39,99…

almighty-slayer 19 December, 2012 @ 1:29 pm   33

Also, giving away a game for free that was only added to the store a couple of weeks ago is completely boneheaded.

As is discounting the year subscription when lots of people stacked 4 90day subs when it was on offer a week or two ago. People will be annoyed about that.

Also quite annoying – MK taking up a spot in the IGC two months in a row. *sigh*

Hope February is better than this.

Sahlokniira 19 December, 2012 @ 1:30 pm   34

Not a great start to 2013 ..

Seriously, you really need to stop giving retail games or at least give us the option to choose between store-only games or digital versions of retail games. Once again, I already own every single retail game you offer and I would prefer Gotham City Impostors over Mortal Kombat, quite frankly. I want freebies and discount on store games, not gigantic digital versions of retail games I own for years.

Good update, but nothing great.
Something else: wasn’t there a reduction for PS+ from 19 December to 9 January?

Chris Howe 19 December, 2012 @ 2:39 pm

That was a deduction for the 90 day subscription. This is a 25% discount on the 1 year subscription

ChemicalBacon90 19 December, 2012 @ 1:33 pm   37

If you’ve already downloaded the Full Game Trial for BioShock 2 (and the other games with full game trials) then the Store doesn’t let you download the Full Game as it says that you already own it, even though you don’t and you just have the trial.

So how can Plus members get the game for free if they’ve already downloaded the full game trial?

Cheers.

Chris Howe 19 December, 2012 @ 2:40 pm

Please let me know if you have this issue once the store has updated and I will forward it to the operations team if you are unable to download the full game

@almighty-slayer

are we talking about middle earth here or jsr or both?

im not trying to offend anyone here but if people bought jsr for vita when it came out a few weeks ago after usa plus got it free they were a little bit silly as it was pretty much a given we would get it at some point soon enough, it was also hinted towards coming in a future update in the comments of the blog.

@ Almighty Slayer

“As is discounting the year subscription when lots of people stacked 4 90day subs when it was on offer a week or two ago. People will be annoyed about that”

Doesn’t make too much of a difference. Those were 9,99 Euro for 3 months, so if you got a year, you’d pay 40. With this deal you’ll pay 37,50 Euro for a year.

There are always different deals, this is the same with cloths in shops or whatever other item. If one is content with the price that is offered at that time, one buys. If one thinks a better deal might be upcoming one wants and skips it.

I got the 25% deal in October, I might get another one before the 9th of January, or maybe I’ll wait as more of these deals will be released over time.

rahulricky 19 December, 2012 @ 1:35 pm   40

Pretty good haul, would like to go back and finish Bioshock 2, only played it as a rental for a bit before. Also the new LOTR game could be fun, I’ve never tried a Lords Management game before.

No offence but giving us MK on Vita, then as a seperate game on PS3 is lame as hell.

It isn’t bad when you give us a cross-buy game that works on both but only counts as one game for either PS3 or Vita.

Using up two slots for one game though…lame. Is like we only getting 2 PS3 games and 2 Vita games, instead of 3 PS3 and 2 Vita.

We’ve been robbed of a game.

PS: More PSN only games and less retail stuff please.

Sheennshine7 19 December, 2012 @ 1:37 pm   42

Why is it I can’t see Mortal Kombat as part of the PS Vita or gaming collection for PS plus members? I’m I missing something?

I am really frustrated by Jet Set Radio being included in PS Plus for Vita. By not offering this when the game was released you or giving any indication that it would be included, those customers who paid for the game and who have PS plus are disadvantaged. The game was only released last month.

In the future I hope you can avoid practices like this. All you are doing is penalising the most loyal fans.

Hey Chris,
Good Job on getting Guardians Of Middle Earth for us. Little Question: Will we see Spyro on PS+ anytime soon? It’s just the Americans had it pretty early on in the year with their PS+ Sub.

Chris Howe 19 December, 2012 @ 2:45 pm

I must admit that its not planned for Plus anytime soon but if there is enough call for it, we can look at it :)

AussieOutsider 19 December, 2012 @ 1:39 pm   45

Wow, so because we here in Australia can’t get Mortal Kombat, we get stuck with a PSN Network Title that was, from all reports, not that good…

then again, we got the PSP version of Lego Batman in place of Mortal Kombat on the Vita, so why doesn’t it surprise me.

Neither are a fair swap in my opinion.

Hope February PS+ Content is better.

@KylieDog

not everyone who has plus has a vita but so thats not quite true.

i have a vita and i know what you mean but at the same time im glad that non vita owning plus users can get there hands on mk.

Bioshock 2 as a IGC title in EU… does that mean we’ll also get titles like Hard Corps Uprising? It was already released in the US.

Kerotan_Eater 19 December, 2012 @ 1:41 pm   48

Gotham City Imposters? You gave us a multiplayer game in which nobody is even online. Really? This is just most disappointing.

Carnivius_Prime 19 December, 2012 @ 1:42 pm   49

Nothing much for me that month it would seem. Instead of Mortal Kombat (poor excuse for a fighting game) I would far prefer Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition as a plus freebie. I haven’t ‘upgraded’ to that one yet because I already spent money on the original SSFIV and then Super SFIV.

Also I just noticed the store is updated now and that Canis Canem Edit PS2 is there which is nice (£7.99, still a bit much for a PS2 game but not as much as the GTA:SA thing last week), and the Red Dead Revolver also being there had me scrolling fast through the list to see if The Warriors was but nope. I’ll still have to wait for my fave PS2 game then? Perhaps license issue with the film company?

PARAN0ID_PANDA3 19 December, 2012 @ 1:43 pm   50

hmm not a very good offering lucky i will playing the games i got for christmas then

Load all