Posted 11:00am

Return to Oddworld on PSN this week

stranger-hd-vita-010

And aren’t you a bunch of lucky gamers? Two Oddworld games, just in time for Christmas! Say ‘hello’ to Stranger’s Wrath and Munch’s Oddysee (again) in full on HD flavours.

The team at Just Add Water (Developments), Ltd. along with help from programming staff at Four Door Lemon, worked hard over the last 18 months to bring you an updated version of Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee straight to PlayStation 3.

munch-hd-004munch-hd-006

Gamers were introduced to the crazy planet of Oddworld back on the PSOne, with both Abe’s Oddysee and Abe’s Exoddus quickly becoming classics. Fans will remember the reluctant hero’s destiny to rescue his fellow Mudokons from corporate slavery at the hands of Glukkon Companies Rupture Farms and SoulStorm Brewery.

Munch first burst onto screens in 2002, following in the footsteps of the now classic Abe games. Another reluctant hero, the diminutive Munch is the last of his kind. His mission? To escape from the evil Vykkers Labs big pharmaceutical company to save all the lab animals and liberate a can of Gabbiar, using the eggs to get his species going again (with the help of Abe, of course!).

munch-hd-005munch-hd-004

We have no doubt that one look at these screenshots will bring all those childhood memories rushing back. Just don’t cry on us otherwise we’ll get all emotional too.

So, “What’s new?” I hear you ask? Well, Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee HD features:

• Enhanced assets, fully remodelled characters
  • High resolution textures for crisper environments
  • New audio fit for the PlayStation 3
  • Controls built for the DualShock3 controller
  • Unlockable concept art as you progress through the game
  • 46 Trophies, including a Platinum

We hope it’s worth the wait! Let us know what you think in the comments.

Want to know what a small development team can achieve in 10 months? How about porting a classic Oddworld console game to the PlayStation Vita! The heroes at JAW beavered away since the launch of the handheld in February 2012 to bring you the most the console has to offer.

PS Vita users might still be waiting for the chance to play Munch, but just in time for the holidays, here’s Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD. We’ve brought the much loved classic to the PSN Store.

munch-hd-001

stranger-hd-vita-009stranger-hd-vita-008

Like the PlayStation 3 version, Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD features high quality assets, better textures and high poly models. But this isn’t a lazy port… the game makes use of the PS Vita’s touchscreen and rear touch pad for added controls and runs at the native screen resolution, to give you a genuine Vita experience.

The game sees you take the role of the mysterious bounty hunter Stranger, on a mission to clean up the Oddworld’s Wild West. So what if you happen to profit from it, right? After all, the money is needed for important surgery! Gameplay features a unique ammo system that’s live… literally! From the wisecracking Chippunks to the ferocious Fuzzles, your ordinance is there to help you out of sticky situations however you choose to play the game.

stranger-hd-vita-006

stranger-hd-vita-004stranger-hd-vita-002

Out now, Stranger’s Wrath HD costs £9.99/€11.99. PS Plus members can even get 25% off if they purchase before 9th January 2013! Stick this in your digital Christmas stocking!

Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee HD, on the other hand, is out on PS3, priced £7.29/€8.99. PS Vita owners don’t have to wait long either: a version is due out early next year. As with Stranger’s Wrath, PS Plus players can claim 25% off until 9th January 2013.

How does the PS Vita version of Stranger stack up? Let us know!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

45 Comments 14 Author replies
Show oldest first

Except in the Portuguese store there is no demo or game for Munch’s Oddysee HD.
Not related, but the PS+ Mortal Kombat for Vita is also missing.

Stewart Gilray 20 December, 2012 @ 11:06 am

Actually, the problem with Munch’s Oddysee HD was fixed around 20 minutes ago, so should now be showing up for you :)

andrewsqual 20 December, 2012 @ 11:10 am   2

Looks so good guys. Picking it up soon. Still playing through Stranger’s Wrath at the moment.
Thank you so much for bringing 2 classic missing titles to Playstation.
Can’t wait for Abe’s Oddysee next summer too. Any idea when we will great any new information on that like screens or footage?

If you keep bringing out great games then I’ll keep buying them. I’ve got Munch on PS3 and Stranger on Vita to keep me busy for a while.

Fordhandsfree 20 December, 2012 @ 11:12 am   4

Will there be any form of cross buy initiative for the people who already paid for the PS3 version of stranger such as myself? No biggy if not. Just thought it would have been a good idea to save buying the same game twice.

Stewart Gilray 20 December, 2012 @ 11:34 am

Currently PS+ users are getting 25% off of each title. When the PS+ deal ends, double dippers will get a 25% discount on the version they don’t have yet.

Shouldn’t this be listed under ‘Vita’ too? @1: I heard that Mortal Kombat is delayed until tomorrow, when it launches together with Knytt.

I played Stranger’s Wrath as PS Plus game, and it’s really enjoyable. Anyone who doesn’t have it yet, should get it, especially at this price.
Would love to try out the Vita version, but had actually hoped there would be a better cross-buy option… Maybe a PS Plus game for Vita shortly?

Fordhandsfree 20 December, 2012 @ 11:14 am   6

To add to that though, ill definatly pick up munch over christmas. Never played the original as i never owned an xbox.

Hello Stewart, I’m very excited by these games and will be acquiring them shortly. A couple of quick questions:

1. Are Strangers Wrath for PS3 and Vita standalone games or will a trophy unlocked in one game register on the other?
2. As these two games are set in the same universe, is there a chronological order to play them in?

Thanks & Merry Christmas.

Stewart Gilray 20 December, 2012 @ 11:39 am

Hi Unicronic,
    Thanks for the questions…

1. The trophies are not linked, so you’d be getting two Platinums ;)

2. Same universe, but different time.

In short, all the “Oddworld” games are based on the planet “Oddworld”, all the titles are based on the continent of “Mudos” but in different areas and at different times :)

Thank you, and Merry Christmas to you too.

Stranger’s Wrath was the only Oddworld game I never played. Got it for Vita yesterday and I really enjoy it.

As for Munch, it was so long ago I dont really remember it, so it will be an sitant buy for me when it comes for Vita.

Keep up the good work.

PMurphy1978 20 December, 2012 @ 11:32 am   9

Great stuff Stewart, can’t wait for Munch’s Oddysee, we will have our review up for Stranger’s Wrath HD later this week. Thanks again for your help and supporrt. :)

Will Munch’s Oddysee on Vita support cross-play with the PS3 version?

Hi Stewart
I bought Abe’s Oddysee and Abe’s Exoddus on their respective release dates and they still rank amongst my favourite all time games :) Are there any plans to do HD versions, I’ve still got the originals and although the graphics have aged better than some PSOne era games, they still look a bit ropey on a PS3 and HD TV and I reckon self-destructing Sligs in HD would just be cool! :D

Stewart Gilray 20 December, 2012 @ 11:40 am

Why yes we are working on a newer version of Abe’s Oddysee…

Take a look over on YouTube for a “Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee New ‘N’ Tasty” I’m sure you’ll find some early pre-alpha footage there :)

Stewart

Hi Stewart, thanks for the replies, JAW did a good job on the PS3 version of Strangers Wrath and I’ll be getting Munch over the Christmas period. Any idea on when New’N’tasty is likely to be released?

supersmith2500 20 December, 2012 @ 11:53 am   13

Hey Stewart:

I bought two Oddworld games and have to say looks amazing. My first time playing on Munch you know since I never got the chance to play it last decade since it’s on Xbox exclusively but it’s nice to see on PlayStation once again. Btw, looking forward to Abe’s Oddysee HD next year. and yush, I own two Oddworld games on a real PS1 too.

dark_angel69 20 December, 2012 @ 12:05 pm   14

Ohhhh me wants!!!! Must get Munch’s Oddysee. Already have Stranger’s Wrath Platinum and pure loved that game. Now I need to get it for Munch’s Oddysee!! Loving the ps+ discount ;)

Just when I decided not to buy anything else (my wallet is really hurting at the moment), you guys go and do this. Never played an Oddworld game except a demo of the very first one many years ago, but these look fantastic. Looks like you’ve done an excellent job with them.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all. :)

and what about CrossSave for OW:SW HD?!

Stewart Gilray 20 December, 2012 @ 12:20 pm

I’m afraid not, but not because we didn’t try.

CrossSave have a limit of 1MB, the saves in Stranger are 5MB :( so they just don’t fit.

Gamesgbkiller 20 December, 2012 @ 12:33 pm   17

Why the cutscenes from stranger’s wrarth look .. or don’t look good at all .. its a bit laggy
Thanks for the game ..

Stewart Gilray 20 December, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

Hmmm this is very odd, as they are using MP4 Movies encoded at a higher rate to the PS3 version of the title.

Are they jerky or something?

Shpadoinkle666 20 December, 2012 @ 12:39 pm   18

It’s just too bad that Munch HD isn’t available in Germany, I was really looking forward to this. Any word on when it’ll appear on our store? Will there be a Plus discount as well once it lands in Germany? And why was it delayed in the first place?

Stewart Gilray 20 December, 2012 @ 2:21 pm

Hi,
    We haven’t released the game in German, French, Italian or Spanish yet, this is due to these territories getting FULL localised versions of the game.

It makes more sense to submit dedicated language versions after the English versions have been approved.

Because of a slight delay in getting the English versions completed the language versions are in turn also delayed, but this will be until mid-late January when they are released.

Shpadoinkle666 did you get your name from cannibal the musical? Well funny that film was……..”let’s build a snowman”…….so ace gonna have to watch it again…..if anybody gets a chance to see it – see it……it was the first proper film made by the guys who made south park it also stars them too!

BlueRaven 20 December, 2012 @ 1:32 pm   20

Hi Stewart….
Downloaded the trial yesterday and was a little disappointed in finding that i couldn’t get DD 5.1 to work.The trial would start with sound for about 1 second then cut out and i’d have nothing for the rest of the trial.
The only workaround i could see was to turn off DD 5.1 in PS3 audio settings and then it would use DTS 5.1.
Don’t know if i could be bothered to change the audio settings back and forth everytime i want to play other games….

Stewart Gilray 20 December, 2012 @ 2:21 pm

Hi,
    Munch only supports 2.0 audio, so should not be affected by 5.1 systems at all. Is there a chance that your amp isn’t picking this up and is forcing 5.1?

BlueRaven 20 December, 2012 @ 1:33 pm   21

Just to add my PS3 slim is connected to my receiver using optical….

cowbanana 20 December, 2012 @ 1:34 pm   22

I bought Stranger’s Wrath for my Vita last night and the game is awesome. Great looking and almost great playing :)

The backtouch melee is highly annoying as I often trigger it involuntarily. Can’t you patch in some control configuration? I’d rather not use the backtouch for anything…

O (circle) is currently mapped to reload, but this could be remapped to melee. Reload could be put on the “up” d-pad. As it is now, all d-pad directions do the same thing, which is a waste of good buttons.

I personally don’t know anyone who likes the backtouch for anything other than scrolling pages in the browser. It should be a last resort for any control scheme – And Stranger’s Wrath still has buttons to spare!

Please fix this control annoyance in an update! Please :)

At least give us options, so everybody can set up controls to personal taste. Thank you.

Stewart Gilray 20 December, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

Hi,
    We’ve actually had a few comments on this, so we will be looking at addressing it in the New Year.

Stewart

Firehawk41 20 December, 2012 @ 1:34 pm   23

I wasn’t going to spend any more money on games this year, but I just may have to make an exception for JAW… :)

amplifiedAnt 20 December, 2012 @ 2:52 pm   24

Great work on these conversions – there’s clearly been a lot of love and attention in remastering Oddworld and you guys at JAW have done a bang-up job. A proper reworking is always appreciated and embarrasses the likes of Capcom’s and Konami’s sub-HD ‘efforts’.

I bought Stranger’s Wrath on the PS3 around the time of release but my savegame glitched somehow and I lost a lot of progress. It initially put me off continuing, but this has reminded me of how awesome it was until that point.

Time to go back to Stranger’s quest I think – if I manage to get the platinum I may even double-dip with the Vita version, dirty trophy hoarder that I am :)

I agree with the guy above using the back touch for melee is ackward, I like the idea of changing the reload button to “up” and melee to “circle”

I’d also like to change going from 1st to 3rd person instead of double tapping the screen how about pressing “down” on the D-pad? :)

HaRRy-HatCHeT 20 December, 2012 @ 3:02 pm   26

I downloaded Munch’s Oddysee yesterday as I only remember bits of it from when it was first released but I’m so glad I’ve got it now in it’s HD glory. I’m loving it so far, it’s now another nice edition to add to my games collection & another platinum to gain aswell ;-). I have both Abe’s Oddysee & Exoddus aswell & in my opinion, you’re not a true gamer if you don’t have these in your collection, they are utter classics :-D Shame I have to wait til Autumn 2013 for the HD remake of Abe’s Oddysee though, but it does look amazing & please take your time in making this classic into another classic. Deffo gonna get it when it’s released :-)

Strangers Wrath was given out a while ago for Plus. And I have Munch’s on Xbox original. O_o

Just bought Strangers Wrath for my vita but I got one question about Munch Oddyssee so if I buy ps3 version now do I get vita version free or do I have to pay full price? Though answer really don’t matter because I will buy it for my vita too when it releases.

Stewart Gilray 20 December, 2012 @ 3:49 pm

We will be doing a discount for double dippers, probably 25% on the second purchase.

AKGermany 20 December, 2012 @ 3:20 pm   29

Will the fully localized versions of Munch’s Odysee feature an English language option as well?
Even if the localization is good, some people prefer to play a game in its original language.

Stewart Gilray 20 December, 2012 @ 3:50 pm

This is something someone asked us today.

The original game was only ever created with a single language per build in mind, as such our version is exactly the same.

We will look into it, but really can’t promise that at this time.

Never got a chance to play munch’s game (would never buy an Xbox) so thank you loads for this :) although it just highlighted for me how much the new store sucks, typed in mun on the search, got guitar hero 5 – munich, lake mungo and two munch costumes for lbp2 :| worrying…

Hey Stewart, I understand from your comments Munch is not going to be released in Belgium untill january because of French localisation, which I understand.

But here in Belgium we have two stores, one for the Dutch (Flemish) speaking part and one for the French speaking citizens. Can’t you release Munch in the Flemish store as we play or games in the original languages? (few games or movies are localized in Dutch, and people seldomly use the localized version because dubbing is considered something for kids… Sony had an issue with inFamous because of that, they had to quickly patch that game with English audio because the fans raged about the dubbing). I’m sure we don’t get the French version anyway…

And if, because you want to or have to release the game in all parts of Belgium at the same time, will we still get the plus discount?

I’ve been wanting to play Munch since it released on Xbox, which as PS2 gamer at the time didn’t have…

Stewart Gilray 20 December, 2012 @ 5:22 pm

Hi,
    I don’t actually know, as far as I was aware there is a single Belgium store, at least there is from our perspective as a Publisher.

Let me talk to our Sony account manager.

Stewart

Skookie30 20 December, 2012 @ 5:45 pm   32

Lazy port of a Xbox game.

Hi again Stewart,
Thanks for the heads-up on New ‘N’ Tasty, can’t believe it managed to fly under the radar of both me and my girlfriend, who’s also a massive Abe fan :) Already excited for next Christmas now!!

Hi Stewart,

Just wanted to say a quick thank you for two things. Firstly, thanks for Stranger’s Wrath on Vita, as far as I’m concerned it’s the best version of the game yet, really happy to have it with me on the go. Secondly, thanks for taking the time to actually be here and interact with people, answering questions etc.
I would like to make one suggestion though, I agree with the comments above about the control scheme changes, it would be great if this could be changed at some point.
Thanks again and merry Christmas. I’m very much looking forward to whatever you guys do next.

CrazyOnyx 20 December, 2012 @ 6:24 pm   35

Thank you for a Vita support. Game is just awesome on it. And the pleasurable price makes me happy )

Shpadoinkle666 20 December, 2012 @ 7:40 pm   36

Stewart, thanks for clearing that up. Still a bummer though, I guess localized text would have done just fine for most people. I still appreciate the effort you obviously put into your games.

@ailmorat: yep, it’s from Cannibal the Musical. Gotta love those Japanese Indians! ;)

supersmith2500 20 December, 2012 @ 7:54 pm   37

Hey Stewart, I found a serious glitch in Dead River in Munch’s Oddysee HD. The entire floor kept glitching into random textures has it shouldn’t any chance you can release a patch that fixes it? =Z

supersmith2500 20 December, 2012 @ 7:55 pm   38

Follow up to comment #36:
Does this happen to anyone has happens to own the game?

anunnakid 21 December, 2012 @ 9:52 am   39

Thank you so much for bringing Stranger’s Wrath over to PS vita, this is totally incredible game and as I would never, ever, not in a million years buy a cheapbox (Xbox) this is such a big add to my collection of games. Too bad you guys never released a retailer version would have loved to buy a hard copy. Great game and great port! 9/10

I hope there are english voice overs in the German version as well. Otherwise I won’t buy the game although I’m really looking forward to it :-(

There is no Oddworld Munch’s Oddysee demo on the Portuguese Store. I checked it yesterday and today. Since what you pay for in an unlock key, it is pretty much useless without the demo.
No answer from the Blog, no answer from Twitter. Tried the customer support e-mail:

“Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:
Portugal_Scee_Info@exch.spe.sony.com
The recipient’s e-mail address was not found in the recipient’s e-mail system. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you.”

Really? I know the phone support works, but not only is it expensive, they usually know less than the people calling.

Witcher70 21 December, 2012 @ 4:46 pm   42

I bought strangers wrath HD on ps3 when it was first released. And so loved the game I purchased the vita version !!! Munch’s Oddysee ! This is the best Xmas ever here take my money and please please please pretty please remaster Abe’s Oddysee and Abe’s exoddus :D thank you !

supersmith2500 22 December, 2012 @ 2:55 pm   43

Anyone reached Dead River yet in Munch’s Oddysee?

PlanetOfTheApes 22 December, 2012 @ 7:21 pm   44

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Stewart from JAW for posting and responding on here. Not many CEO’s would talk direct to the consumer like this.

So despite already owning Strangers Wrath, I just bought the Vita version – really looking forward to it.

BornTalented- 24 December, 2012 @ 1:03 pm   45

Can’t wait for the new Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee New ‘N’ Tasty!