Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 12:01pm

PlayStation.Blog Recap

Hey there everybody. Presumably you’ve all dislodged those New Year hangovers and have spent the week in the gym shifting all signs of festive excess? Thought so – well done.

After a relatively quiet fortnight on PlayStation Blog, it will be business as usual from Monday as we properly get stuck into another 12 months of PlayStation gaming. We’ll have updates on some of the big games coming your way later this year and, hopefully, details of the first PSN sale of 2013. Look out for all our regular features to return as well – including your weekly Store update and Weekend Debate.

In the meantime, there’s plenty of catch-up reading for any of you who didn’t manage to check in over the holiday period. Highlights include a photo tour of Media Molecule’s weird and wonderful HQ, a behind-the-scenes look at the recording of Soul Sacrifice’s soundtrack and a massive 2012 round-up including new interviews with the likes of BioShock creator Ken Levine, Borderlands boss Randy Pitchford and numerous other gaming luminaries. Please enjoy!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

102 Comments 22 Author replies
Show oldest first

Hi Fred, good year to you too.

I was wondering if you know games that will get remote play in the new year? I have downloaded the Jak and Daxter collection and Sly and I would love to play those on my Vita (we’ve had remote play from other HD collections like God of War and ICO). So I would like to know if more HD collections get a remote play patch. Or other games off course, I know Killzone 3 was showcased at the TGS 2011, so maybe that patch would almost be finished by now?

Fred Dutton 7 January, 2013 @ 9:07 am

No news today – but we’ll announce any news as it come up here on the Blog.

Dino Crisis 1 & 2 Please :)

Happy 2013 to everybody.

Lets hope this will be another great year for Playstation Brand.

Busy playing Assassin’s Creed 3 and Spyro on the Vita.

I remember Spyro playing a lot better when I was a kid. It has been nearly 15 years now. Hard to believe Spyro is 15 years old this year.

This year I hope we get news on PS4 or whatever its named. Also I want to see Legend of Dragoon and the discworld games this year.

I am reading Terry Pratchett’s books at the moment and I would love to play the games.

hey fred, looking forward to the return to normality on the blog next week.
just took the plunge and im starting to play hitman absolution which has started well and i hope it continues:)
also decided to buy farcry 3, as i have said many times i dislike fps games but after hearing from many people who are also not great fans of the fps genre that this game is different i decided to give it a chance, hope i dont regret it.

looking forward to seeing if we will get walking dead in a January sale from Chris, also looking forward to seeing what the first weekend debate of the year is all about.

have a nice weekend folks

supersmith2500 5 January, 2013 @ 1:39 pm   5

Also, if a sale a coming, please include PSVita and PSP games too. Not just PS3.

sithknight666 5 January, 2013 @ 1:46 pm   6

Hi Fred,
For Ps Plus this year, are we to expect all the ps plus content Usa got last year that we didn’t? And vice versa?
Thinking of buying Battlefield 3 premium pack and wondering if it will ever drop in price or a chance of a plus discount?
How about lbp 2 dlc, uncharted 3 dlc, dark void dlc and ass creed revelations dlc going cheap whilst you’re at it?
Cheers, Sith

Fred Dutton 7 January, 2013 @ 9:09 am

Not necessarily. The SCEE Plus team and the SCEA Plus team are separate entities and operate under their own steam. Some games will appear in both territories but many will not.

happy new year fred :) hope this year gets better and better for ps (and that they finally give us versus 13 eh? :) currently waiting for Ni No Kuni, sooo excited! had wizards edition pre ordered since july!
@Lucreto im just finishing terry pratchett’s Snuff (last discworld book so reading it slowly, dont want it to end). discworld 1 game is difficult to get hold of and play on modern computers but 2& noir are available on ps1 and are awesome :) would be even better if they’d put it on psn but dont think theyre too expensive on ebay and well worth getting.

WilliamBirkin 5 January, 2013 @ 2:20 pm   8

Dear SCEE,

Do you guys have any update on patch 1.13 for WKC2? You know we are in 2013!

Gamers are in doubt and we are still supporting the game online but people need this patch now to keep suppoting the game. Help us SCEE.

@mazegami

I am reading Thud at the moment. I love the City Watch books. Can’t wait for the TV series.

OrhuN__06 5 January, 2013 @ 2:36 pm   10

Hey Fred When Will the Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time demo will come out. I can’t even wait for the Demo :D

bennyrafal 5 January, 2013 @ 2:40 pm   11

Dear Sony, God of War Single Player Demo plz, i know it will rock. But i would want to destroy…

Hey Fred, the EU store missed some Rock Band track releases around Xmas and again at New Year, will these be rolled up into the next store update ?

Also, are there any plans to offer a mobile version of the Blog, as per the US ?

Fred Dutton 7 January, 2013 @ 9:11 am

Have you tried the official PlayStation app?

I’ll speak to Jawad about those RB tracks.

bennyrafal 5 January, 2013 @ 3:23 pm   13

Fred, feature request about web store, could you pass this to dev team? i would like to add something like notepad or “want to buy in near future” list.

Could be nice way to help organize “do want things” when hunting on sales bonuses or running low on gray cells

declan__watson 5 January, 2013 @ 4:26 pm   14

Hello Fred
Nice recap, another amaing 12 months it will be for the playstation brand amazing new games on the way like the most anticipated the last of us, god of war assension, Beyond two souls and dust 514. Hope your having a good weekend Fred. Back to buissnes on monday yep, for school for me, college for some and for othersbworking cin offices etc. Do you think it could be possible for a buy-out of CCP games fred, one great game developer for Sony.
Thanks for your time fred. LongLivePlay ;) :)

declan__watson 5 January, 2013 @ 4:26 pm   15

Hello Fred
Thanks for your time fred. LongLivePlay ;) :)

declan__watson 5 January, 2013 @ 4:28 pm   16

Sorry about that didnt think it did it twice. :)

mazegami 5 January, 2013 @ 4:38 pm   17

@Lucreto
Agreed the Watch books are probably the best, although all his books are amazing but Vimes is definitely my favourite :) there’s going to be a tv series?! Gonna have to google that! :)

AeonsDead 5 January, 2013 @ 5:23 pm   18

You know if this blog wasn’t constrained by the fact it is a blog and had some a proper way of archiving, there would be no need for a “recap” post.

Can we please rework this ‘blog’ so it is actually useful and intuitive?

Also, the current archiving technique for this board, in the “choose a category” we need a PSPlus option.

BiGsMoO7ke 5 January, 2013 @ 5:40 pm   19

I don’t know where to ask for this :3
can you please bring Minecraft to the ps3 + ps vita for 2013 :)

ryannumber3gamer 5 January, 2013 @ 5:57 pm   20

First Fred i hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :)
Anyway i got some questions.

1.Will the Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale Pre-Order costumes be on the PS Store for everyone to be able to get soon?
2.Will the Sly Cooper Thieves In Time demo be coming in January like the US?
3.Is there a date when the Vita version of R&C Qforce comes this month?

Also i agree with the above post about Minecraft, it seems like a very fun game to try out :)

Happy new year everyone!

Really looking forward to the update on the Festival sales with the PSVita deals as promised, as USA got so many during Xmas and EU got none.

Well 2013, a new year to make it up to us EU consumers Sony :-)

Hi Fred.
Any news about this singstar mess? Though I have bought mics and few songs (for my wife, I’m pretty awful singer myself), I’d like to see it gone, hidden into folder instead of being first thing I see when I open my PS3.

And thanks Chris for festival sale, we’re having fun with Rune Factory Oceans! Awesome game for that price!

Still no singstar crap removal? Still no CSGO?

:C

supersmith2500 5 January, 2013 @ 8:54 pm   24

*sigh* Still complaints over this Singstar icon since October? Guys, just get used to it. Not to mention Singstar is a gaming franchise by London Studio. You know how I feel but get used to it. -__-

GenocideHeart 5 January, 2013 @ 9:38 pm   25

@supersmith2500: The Americans actually get a CHOICE of whether to install the damn thing or not. We’re tired of being treated like second class lepers who need to ‘get used to it’. We already get grotesquely overcharged on games because most games have that funny habit of considering the dollar as equal to the euro (protip: it’s not), and now we have to put up with being treated about the same way as a piece of used gum on the soles of Sony’s shoes?

If some malware is installed without your permission on your PC, what do you do with it, do you ‘put up with it’ and leave it be? No, you delete it. The same applies here, especially seeing how I AM DEAF and that icon isn’t just ugly as sin and useless to me, it’s a personal insult much like if I were spitting in your face and smearing said spit all over you. Is it so hard to conceive that a deaf person doesn’t want a damn SINGING GAME shoved in their face everytime they fire up the PS3? It’s kind of like having a KKK icon show up in a black man’s PS3… Think about how poorly that reflects on Sony’s rep. Be considerate of minorities too, at least offer the option to MOVE IT ELSEWHERE.

Before you update the store this week, FIX the incorrect sale prices first! The games on sale have been back to full price even though on the game’s store page it says it’s on sale, here’s an example:

Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City (Not available in Germany)
Was €39.99/£29.99/AU$49.95 Now €19.99/£15.99/AU$24.95
Additional 10% off for Plus subscribers

declan__watson 5 January, 2013 @ 10:48 pm   27

@genocideheart
I dont know what you are on about? All supersmith has stated is for people to get used to it, it may not be everybodys choice so if so it is then just leave it. I have it, i aint moaning because i think its an ok game. Whats with your comment saying its a personal insult its a game GET OVER IT!
Also dont say silly things like how poorly it reflects sonys rep. Its a lovely game to have, and alot of casual men and women do play this game.
Any way to the haters stop moaning its a game. Not the end of the world.
Sorry for any inconvinience.

THE_FORCE 5 January, 2013 @ 10:59 pm   28

What the [DELETED] is CSGO? Is it some sort of customer support for people on the move?

Project2insanity 5 January, 2013 @ 11:03 pm   29

@GenocideHeart; No disrespect but it’s a ridiculous notion to be insulted by Singstar because you’re deaf. Some people are blind but they don’t complain that images exist on the XMB, some have difficulties reading but don’t complain that text is on the XMB, some are colour-blind but aren’t insulted by colours… I could go on, though I think my point is clear. I’ve no issue with you complaining about something you don’t want but try keep it in perspective.

Glad the PlayStation News is back on monday because it saves me from reading 99% of those DREADFUL so-called gaming sites that are out there :-/ It seems the PS4 hate has started already online?!?! :-( I wish someone at SONY would defend the PlayStation brand online or yet again MicroSoft will have it easy again next Gen(YEP, i blame them & their fans most who run the sites i bet for all of the negative press) Oh well, World War 3 is coming…Happy New year anyway :-D

AeonsDead 5 January, 2013 @ 11:15 pm   31

Hey Frxn, where did you get the saltire avatar from?

another_gamer195 6 January, 2013 @ 12:39 am   32

@Genocideheart.
Well like you were told, GET USED TO IT, (sorry for caps), Yes i agree 100% with your comment, in reply to Both the irksome icons placement, And with The attitude some ‘fans’ have kindly translated, of scee’s ‘apparent’ disregard for a valid complaint, personally it isn’t Just the icon, or the (yet again) no ‘constructive’ addressing of it, by scee, No, IF only it was just those problems, But i, like yourself and a lot of other normal, everyday and ordinary people, can’t help but notice the 2nd class service us EU customers recieve, Mostly allways, as opposed to ‘another’ region/s, how much or how long do we just ‘get used to it’ ?. as the more laid back people suggest. I guess i am just saying it is all the mistakes and dissapointments c/o scee that wind up inside a ‘icon’/other complaining post, But no-one can really write it All, so there’ll be people Still shouting you/others down. turning you into a ‘moaner’, But Seriously, Can they really brush off all the mess that ‘probably’ causes a disgruntled comment in the first place.
Except from those posters who can Never be happy of course.

A_Nonny_Moose 6 January, 2013 @ 1:20 am   33

Any word on when EDF 2017 Portable launches? This week maybe?

R_a_z_i_e_l 6 January, 2013 @ 3:25 am   34

Hey Fred Is the EU/AUS Store definitely getting a big Near Year Vita Sale ? Due to the US getting a Sale for the Vita but the EU/AUS missed out on Vita Discounts

Also Fred do you have any word when Retro City Rampage, Dokuro, and JAZZ: Trumps Journey Will be out yet ? It has been a few months with no mention or word from you guys about these games and info about the Vita Sales.

Fred Dutton 7 January, 2013 @ 9:30 am

There is a new sale planned for this week. The list of deals is still TBC, but there may well be some Vita titles discounted.

RCR is very close! No word on Dokuro or Jazz I’m afraid.

ShizzleDizzle574 6 January, 2013 @ 4:43 am   35

why does my ps3 keep telling me my psn has timed out im [DELETED] do we have to pay to play now?

THE_FORCE 6 January, 2013 @ 9:19 am   36

Fred I need you to do this, then I need you to do that. Then….when you’re done doing that can you tell me why they’ve got this and we haven’t? Oh and while we’re on the subject I reaaallly think we need a discount for this because them over there got it cheaper than us the other day.

And why haven’t I got this yet? It’s a joke!

Fred are you listening….Fred? FRED ?…..FRREEEEEEDDD !!!!!

@THE_FORCE

lol.

its funny because fred is the blog manager not the head of scee, all he can do is feedback peoples concerns and issues and wait to see if his superiors take heed and implement any changes, yet in some posts in the past i have seen him accused of being a liar and people acting like he has personally placed the singstar icon on the desktop.

Hexahedronaut 6 January, 2013 @ 12:06 pm   38

Hey happy new year Fred would be pretty cool to have your opinion on this.. here it goes. the PSN has some unique games journey, unfinished swan to name a few that are well just fantastic. Polytron has announced they’re bringing FEZ to more platforms this year, Sony should really think about trying to get that game on PSN it would fit perfectly easily my game of 2012 (hence my username). any chance this will happen?

Fred Dutton 7 January, 2013 @ 9:17 am

No idea I’m afraid! Suffice to say the relevant people here will be well aware what a great game it is. There may be legal/business constraints at play, but you never know, it could happen.

THE_FORCE 6 January, 2013 @ 12:26 pm   39

@Hayzink. I know mate. I wouldn’t have his patience to be honest! I’d have to tell someone their fortune on a daily basis. :/

Anyways, hope your New Year is being good to you Hayzink. Best of luck for 2013. :)

GenocideHeart 6 January, 2013 @ 1:04 pm   40

@declan__watson: Oh, I am sure it’s a lvely game to have – for those who actually USE it. For all others, it-s just an obnoxious, ugly icon that’s hard-locked where it is. At the very bare minimum, let me stuff it in a folder out of the way instead of aggressively shoving it in my face whenever I scroll to the Games column. I haven’t bought anything for Singstar since October, my family doesn’t care for it either, and all it does is take up space and irritate me into buying less and less from Sony.

It’s a simple equation. I can move the icon elsewhere out of my sight = I’m happier = I’m more likely to buy = more profit for Sony. Conversely, I can’t move the icon = I grow more and more irritable = I buy less as protest = Sony gets less money.

You’d think speaking with my wallet would hit where it hurts, but apparently SCEE simply doesn’t want to make money – something which I should have known already given how they treat EU customers like trash, giving us crap for PS2 classics, overcharging to high heaven, with games missing from the Store and with ridiculous delays on games that have been out in America forever now like CS: GO. Bad Sony, bad!

abdirizak007 6 January, 2013 @ 1:08 pm   41

Hi Fred i’m back wen do we get the Sly demo i have waitng 1 year now please give os the demo the full game is comming februar 5! :”( please Fred

GenocideHeart 6 January, 2013 @ 1:18 pm   42

@Project2insanity: I’d agree with you except this isn’t an isolated case. Do you have any idea how many devs ignore the problem and do things/make games that are downright deaf-unfriendly and even unusable unless you actually can hear things?

I’m tired of the tendency of a lot of companies and publishers to not show even a modicum of respect. Subtitles are becoming common not because of consideration towards hearing-impaired gamers, but because it’s cheaper than paying for VAs, and the presence of sound cues in way too many games even now is proof of that. And now I have to tolerate a game that’s COMPLETELY deaf-unfriendly being forced on my system? I’m sorry, I paid good money for my system, and if I don’t want spam on it, I DON’T WANT SPAM ON IT. Don’t like that, then gift me the system. I’ll only allow it when I DON’T pay for the system it’s installed on.

DAVIE222 6 January, 2013 @ 1:19 pm   43

Back from holiday :D hi fred

DAYDANNY666 6 January, 2013 @ 1:33 pm   44

unhappy with the ps store, need for speed most wanted £59.99 what a rip off. tesco have it £30
getting from there, as the store price are sky high, download speed sucks, store dose not have friendly user interface hard fo use, slow, and every single shop is cheaper. also this ps vita browser is crapper than the ps3 and he blog submit button not work

ashton_philip 6 January, 2013 @ 2:03 pm   45

Is it possible to have a Persona 4: Golden demo on the Vita to tide people over during the period up until Feb 22? I wanna get a feel for the game before its release, just thought I’d enquire any answer would be valued!

Fred Dutton 7 January, 2013 @ 9:18 am

That’s up to the publisher I’m afraid. I’ve not heard anything at present.

ashton_philip 6 January, 2013 @ 2:14 pm   46

Just to say as well, happy new year to everyone in the PS team and all the people who comment in the blogs! Super excited for 2013 as a gaming year – Last of us, Beyond, Ni No Kuni, Soul Sacrifice, and GOW Ascension, Bioshock:Infinite,MGS:Rising and Tomb Raider are top of my list games wise, not to mention *PS4* Possibly but nonetheless a packed Q1 and 2 gonna be difficult to choose what to buy in these first two quarters as there is just so much to buy!

NoobBlast 6 January, 2013 @ 2:44 pm   47

I have some questions about the latest firmware “degrade”:

1.) Why is the new PSN Shop so slow?
2.) If you check a trophy ingame, why does it sync for 5 mins and no option to cancel it?
3.) Why is the online PSN shop only compatible with 1 out of 10 browsers? (Doesent work on any Android one. Chrome, Opera, Mozilla, Dolphin, Firefox +++) It also doesent work in Opera and several other browsers on PC. I think the shop only works in newest IE.

NoobBlast 6 January, 2013 @ 2:51 pm   48

I stopped buying any games on PS3 until the 5 minute delay ingame on trophy sync is fixed. Buying all games games on 360 until it’s fixed.

@NoobBlast

go to your trophy icon press triangle and switch to offline mode.

problem solved no longer syncs every time you click on it.

NoobBlast 6 January, 2013 @ 3:32 pm   50

@Hayzink: Thanks alot for the help. :-)
I did what you said, and now its back to how it was earlier.

Now i hope they are making their online PSN shop compatible with most web browsers as its way too slow to use the store on PS3 anymore.

Have a nice day, and thanks again! :-)

Load all