Posted 5:00pm

PlayStation Store PAL charts: December 2012

PS-Store

Apologies for the slight delay in getting you December’s Store charts – the Christmas break rather got in the way. Anyway, here they are – and, as ever, they make for some interesting reading.

Full PS3 game downloads:

As you can see, our festive sales made a big impact on the chart last month, with seven of the top 10 titles all receiving huge boosts off the back of discounted price tags. All titles performed well, but Far Cry 3 was out in the lead by some margin.

1. Far Cry 3(New entry)
  2. Hitman Absolution(New entry)
  3. Guardians of Middle-Earth(New entry)
  4. Need for Speed Most Wanted(3)
  5. Just Cause 2(Re-entry)
  6. Sleeping Dogs(Re-entry)
  7. Ratchet & Clank: QForce(New)
  8. Grand Theft Auto IV(2)
  9. LittleBigPlanet Karting(9)
  10. One Piece: Pirate Warriors(Re-entry)

PSN games:

No surprises here – the original Mass Effect‘s PlayStation debut raced into the chart at number one. TOKYO JUNGLE continues to show really impressive legs in third place, while The Walking Dead no doubt benefited from a number of ‘Game of the Year’ nods, continuing its residency in the top five.

1. Mass Effect (New entry)
  2. Journey/The Unfinished Swan bundle (New entry)
  3. TOKYO JUNGLE(2)
  4. The Walking Dead – Season Pass(3)
  5. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD(10)
  6. Journey(6)
  7. Okami HD(1)
  8. Worms Revolution(8)
  9. Worms Ultimate Mayhem(Re-entry)
  10. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II(Re-entry)

PS Vita games:

It was great to see the new version of vintage classic Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath get off to a great start on the PS Vita chart. Uncharted: Fight for Fortune wasn’t too far behind either, and the lovely Rayman Origins climbed back up to four in the run-up to Christmas.

1. Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD (New entry)
  2. Uncharted: Fight for Fortune(New entry)
  3. Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified(2)
  4. Rayman Origins(Re-entry)
  5. Assassin’s Creed III Liberation(1)
  6. Sine Mora(6)
  7. LittleBigPlanet PlayStation Vita(10)
  8. PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale(New entry)
  9. Need for Speed Most Wanted(3)
  10. MotorStorm RC(4)

PS Classics:

A small change this month – we’ve decided to wrap the standard PS1 Classics up into a new chart also incorporating PS2 titles. Taking the top spot by an enormous margin was the re-released GTA: San Andreas. Spyro The Dragon Trilogy put in a fine performance in its first month. As well as the main pack, the individual Spyro 1 download debuted at 17, Spyro 3 at 18 and Spyro 2 at 22.

1. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
  2. Spyro The Dragon Trilogy
  3. Crash Bandicoot
  4. CTR: Crash Team Racing
  5. Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped
  6. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
  7. Final Fantasy VII
  8. Canis Canem Edit
  9. Tomb Raider
  10. Final Fantasy VIII

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

36 Comments 8 Author replies
Show oldest first

TINTINTB303 9 January, 2013 @ 5:09 pm   1

Rayman for the Vita was £12.99 over Xmas

Amazing what a good price will do to a game’s sales ;-)

Good to see Sleeping Dogs get some more love too as that was a largely missed game by a lot of people last year. It deserved to do a lot better than it did when it got its initial launch IMHO.

Lets hope for a sequel. On second thoughts with GTAV being released it would be fighting a loosing battle straight out of the gate!!

I would be quite curious to see the number of sales. However I think you guys will not be able to tell us for some reason.

THE_FORCE 9 January, 2013 @ 5:31 pm   3

You really need Paul Hardcastle’s ‘THE WIZARD’ playing in the background when reading this.

I pity all those poor souls who actually paid something for Guardians for Middle-earth. :)

Had 3 matches lately, none of them achieved a full 5v5 set (without the AI). In one game we even had 5 players MIA and had to play 2v3 on a 3 lane map (Yet I and “irspe” smashed them quite nicely, hehe).

AlexAtkinUK 9 January, 2013 @ 6:08 pm   5

I’m not sure I agree that PS2 games should be combined with with PSone.

When I look at the charts I like to consider the platform they are running on.

As PS2 games are PS3 only, but PSone games are PSP, PS Vita or PS3, I would consider them entirely separate charts.

Likewise, the PSN chart should mention which platform the games are on. Granted it will mostly be PS3, but that makes it even more important to be able to see when they are available on Vita too.

That also brings me to another point. When things say “coming to PSN” you really need to mention if that means PS3 or PS3 and Vita. Its frustrating having to search out a game to find out if its multi-platform or just PS3, as coming to PSN could mean just about anything.

Fred Dutton 10 January, 2013 @ 9:02 am

All games in the PSN chart are PS3 titles – I should probably clarify that. Point taken re. ‘coming to PSN’ too.

AshishSahoo 9 January, 2013 @ 7:27 pm   6

Hey Fred,
Can you at least tell how many vita games featured in total top 10? I am sure vita games are selling very well. I just need to shut the mouths of some vita haters.
Any help? :D

Fred Dutton 10 January, 2013 @ 9:05 am

If we were to combine the PSN and the Vita chart, 3 Vita games would make the top 10 this month.

another_gamer195 9 January, 2013 @ 7:33 pm   7

So combining ps1 classics with ps2s and it shows just how good (read Bad) our ps2 library really is. If San Andreas wasn’t released in Dec there’d be no ps2s in there, I hope some notice will be given to that. it’s like some have allready said, Sony just don’t seem to want our money, (well Fairly at least !), Look at the Real ps2 classics that could and Should be out, even just sony ones. you’d clean up with them, someone mentioned a sony owned game earlier, The Getaway. Black Monday. Seriously, whoevers in charge can’t tell us That game alone wouldn’t turn a profit.. Thats just one example outa hundreds.. Why can’t sceww execs see, or be informed of this. Instead of trying to make profits at our expense, so to speak.. sceww could be making just as much in our interest, like the good old days, well, it would at least lessen the ‘at our expense’ need. Hope Someone in authority will maybe realize this one day.

‘PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale’ really should of been in the Full ‘PS3 game downloads’ Top 10 list to :( It is a MEGA-FUN Game :P

euphoricape 9 January, 2013 @ 8:53 pm   9

I would love to see a psn Europe release for persona 3 and 4. Persona 3 is on us store and is in this months top 10 best sellers…

Still no top 10 PSM games?

Fred Dutton 10 January, 2013 @ 9:06 am

That data is reported slightly differently, so it’s a bit harder to get hold of. I’m working on it!

Mantinijo 9 January, 2013 @ 9:49 pm   11

Hey,
I would love to see a psn Europe release for Crash Nitro Karts PS Classics. Thank you.

CP-Daniel 9 January, 2013 @ 9:50 pm   12

spmming is bad. now that i trew that out there, let me as for the 3rd or 4th time.. the spyro games for ps2, i want em on my ps3 and i dont see why Sony didn’t make the 80gb one backwards compdibile in the first place but that’s a question for them.. but with the spyro trilogy beeing populear that upp’s the chance for the other ones ? right?

Tyrannic_Puppy 9 January, 2013 @ 10:09 pm   13

I think the real stand out in these lists is Crash. He’s had four games in the top ten the last 4 odd times I’ve looked at these. The others come and go, but he’s the only one with real staying power. Congrats Naughty Dog, you made a truly great set of games.

supersmith2500 9 January, 2013 @ 10:20 pm   14

Well just wait until Retro City Rampage dominates the Vita charts next week along with Munch’s Oddysee HD on Vita next month. Really baffled that Munch’s Oddysee HD didn’t hit the top 10 charts. My favourite Oddworld game so far.

MP_is_for_Chumps 10 January, 2013 @ 4:17 am   15

Hello Sony, if you are interested in user opinion of the new store, several months on after launch, please take a look at this topic discussion:

[Some time has passed: What's your verdict on the new PlayStation Store?]

Bovrillor 10 January, 2013 @ 9:49 am   16

@1 – I don’t think the Sleeping Dogs franchise needs to worry about GTA. The gameplay mechanics of GTAV (based on dev interviews and previews) look god-awful. It’s all been downhill since Vice City.

@14 – Having played Retro City Rampage on another format, I honestly can’t see it living up to the expectations around here.

GANTZn00b 10 January, 2013 @ 11:04 am   17

Hi ,

will we get a update on the singstar icon as well soon after all the weeks of waiting ? even if it’s just saying that we never get a option to remove it, just so we know how much valued our feedback is at SCEE.

i dont want to complain all the time but you left me with no other choice , i simply wont be happy with my ps3 until it has been removed, all the years without it were cool but then you suddenly decided to force such icon to me which doesnt fit my gaming taste at all and im forced to look at it all the time i use my ps3 and im disgusted by the wallpaper which overrides my custum dynamic theme i paid for

until the singstar icon is gone i refuse to use this account anymore for gaming and will resort to using US psn and will even import US psn cards rather than looking at the icon on my consoles, found a good shop for import psn redeem cards , looking forward to finally play counterstrike global offensive on my ps3 too, all without a forced singstar icon and wallpaper

danielm1979 10 January, 2013 @ 11:14 am   18

Feedback? I guess I’ll just leave this here.

Just take a look at how everybody just loves the new store!

Hey Fred, there was a problem with MotorStorm RC Complete Edition that although it’s advertised it includes DLCs first, there were complaints that it doesn’t include DLCs and it only have some vehicle updates.

Is it fixed so if we got Complete Edition now, will we have:

“The Complete edition includes the full-game, both expansion packs (Pro-Am & Carnival) and all of the Elite, Mischief, Veteran and Special vehicle collections – all for just £7.29/€8.99!”

just as it’s written?

Because the game description doesn’t mention about these DLCs and it only says vehicles.

Fred Dutton 10 January, 2013 @ 3:31 pm

I’ll look into this one for you now.

Jawad Ashraf 10 January, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

Hi,

The Complete Edition includes all of the tracks, events and vehicles (also available separately), so that means Pro-Am and Carinval, too.

Hope that answers your question.

Jawad

MONTENERO 10 January, 2013 @ 2:52 pm   20

Totally agree with the comments on neogaf forums related to the new store – it is MUCH WORSE than the previous one. You have to press ten buttons just to be able to see what are the new PSN releases

THE_FORCE 10 January, 2013 @ 3:16 pm   21

@18 (danielm1979). Wow, a bunch of Neogaf nerds whinging about something in their cliquey little Neogaf world. How uncharacteristic!

@GANTZn00b / Post #17

Genuinely lol at your little rant. A bit of an over reaction don’t you think? I don’t like it, but it’s not a major issue…

THE_FORCE 10 January, 2013 @ 3:44 pm   23

@Fred. So have I. ;)

MP_is_for_Chumps 10 January, 2013 @ 4:38 pm   24

LOL Someones bitter they couldn’t get past the neogaf vetting process ;)

btw how many hits does the official sony discussion forum here get compared to neogaf? ;) …and do game developers & publishers regularly take part in general conversations? ;)

just asking ;)

21# Well they are right. That being said the Web store is GREAT so I use that all the time so don’t really care about the store on the ps3 anymore.

Adolfhitlesaurus 10 January, 2013 @ 6:37 pm   26

Hey Fred. Any news on Persona 4: Arena? Will it be released next month with Golden? Thanks!

supersmith2500 10 January, 2013 @ 7:04 pm   27

@Adolfhitlesaurus:
You want to talk to Zen United (European Publisher) about that one but hopefully this year though. For P4: Golden on Vita, 22nd February as scheduled but not sure if it’s confirmed or not.

THE_FORCE 10 January, 2013 @ 7:44 pm   28

Lol. Like you see the devs making immature comments about the PS store on Neogaf. They don’t. They leave that to the whinging teenage nerds who only joined Neogaf to kiss their butts.

;)

There would have been more sales if you had removed the singstar spam from my XMB…

@Sp4reNL

They rather have lower sales than admit they made a mistake. And how could it be easy…press triangle, select Delete and press cross… Well, that’s our SCEE – in the name of ignorance, deafness and arrogance, amen.

lol, childeren of mi siter ask me to buy singstar songs =
i askt them to tink about other games = just dance 4 ( mi way to boycot sony arogance on puting ilegale stuf on mi console !!!, i buy i am bos of mi ps3 , put ap in store + advertice in store = hurts 0 pers .)

also 1 + point = more full games = better ( i hope to see more ful rpg + indie games like minecraft , if u see howh many 360 sels u are stupid not to ask ps3 version )
only games same price ore lower then real store i tink buying online if not to big . 59 € = new game in real store ,
69 = i refuse to buy new game ( i now lots of dlc cut of to pay even more )

can someone explain to me what is a PAL Chart?

PeppermintShore 12 January, 2013 @ 9:57 am   34

Can you please stat if LBP costumes are for LBP2 or LBPK or for both. As the store is as clear as mud when it comes to costumes for LBP.

Any chance the Aus PSN could get God Eater Burst, Ys: Seven and the Armored Core Portables … it says they are unavailable in my region everywhere I go yet everyone else can see and play them … there were more but I have since learned that SEGA are just not wanting to release them … it’s disappointing that there is a great deal of disparity between the PSN stores with Japan and US (NTSC) enjoying many fine titles the rest of the world will never see, even the differences between the EUR and AUS store is annoying …

AUS probably won’t see EDF2017P as it is now Digital dl only and most places say it will be available in EUR on the 16th of Jan but mention nothing about AUS. I can only hope I am wrong … -_-’

I find it a bit surprising that Castlevania: Symphony of the Night wasn’t on the PS Classics list.