Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 4:00pm

FuturLab reveals Velocity Ultra for PS Vita

Velocity_Ultra_Logo

Hello again! It feels great to be back on the PS Blog! Especially now that we’re able to reveal a project that so many people have asked for: a native PS Vita version of our multiple award-winning PS minis game Velocity!

It’s called Velocity Ultra, and it features Trophies, online high scores and a completely overhauled visual style at native PS Vita resolution!

We’re reworking all the art in the game, so the cut scene stills have been recreated at a much higher standard than before.

Velocity Ultra 1

Velocity Ultra 2

We’re also unifying the art style throughout the game by ditching pixel art in favour of an edgy cartoon style.

Velocity Ultra_3

The dinky (and rather pathetic) Quarp Jet now looks less dinky (and rather bad-ass)…

Velocity Ultra_4

We’re also adding lots of visual effects. Here’s what Velocity Ultra looks like at the moment. Please note this is the game at pre-Alpha, and the PS Vita dev kit seems to be compressing screenshots. The graphics look considerably cleaner when running live on the PS Vita screen.

Velocity Ultra_5

Velocity Ultra 6

The dark shading at each side of the screen focuses the action, whilst explosions illuminate the environment to create a more dramatic experience. The PS Vita is a lot more powerful than the PSP, so we’re able to add these lighting effects whilst still running at a solid 60FPS – just like the original!

The Director’s Cut
You can think of Velocity Ultra as the director’s cut; everything we would have done the first time around if we’d had the budget. Our goal now is to create a perfectly formed piece of interactive art that will do your shiny PS Vita justice!

When?
We don’t have a solid release date yet, but we’re on track to submit to Sony at the beginning of April, so we are guesstimating a release date in May. We are extremely excited!

Is that all you’ve got?
We know that some of you might be a little disappointed, because you were expecting to see a sequel, not an HD rework. Well, don’t be too sad…

Velocity Ultra is a way for us to establish the Velocity franchise with a wider audience, and we’ve got plenty more Velocity in the works.

In fact, we’ve just published a Velocity Sequel Questionnaire to find out what you want to see in a sequel. If you fill it out, you could win a copy of Velocity Ultra!

If you’d like more information more frequently, just subscribe to our website: http://www.futurlab.co.uk and you’ll never miss an update!

We hope you like the look of Velocity Ultra, as we can’t wait to put it in your hands!

FuturLab on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/FuturLab
FuturLab on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FuturLab
FuturLab Website: http://www.futurlab.co.uk

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

38 Comments 16 Author replies
Show oldest first
almighty-slayer 11 January, 2013 @ 4:03 pm   1

Looks terrible.

TERRIBLY BRILLIANT.

Great job all :D

-Carl

James Marsden 11 January, 2013 @ 4:03 pm   2

Yo!

Let’s go on the questions folks… :p

Also, I forgot to mention – we are soon to release an album soundtrack of Velocity music, featuring remixes by Cold Storage, Gan Juan, Tuffcub and Jonny Martyr. Mixing up the known and the unknown in exciting measures :p

Can’t wait for Velocity Ultra! Thank you FuturLab.

Amazing news :)

One of the best Vita games, but even better!

I wanted this as a native PSN title for Vita as soon as I played the mini. Didn’t think it would happen so soon though. Congratulations guys, hope to see quite a few Vita games from you!

Woah! I loved the original. Will get this…

Shut up and take my money!

Excellent news. Will be great to play through this again.

Christos-34 11 January, 2013 @ 4:05 pm   8

Do you know the estimated size of the game?

Day one purchase off course.

Any plans for a PS3 version, some cross-buy, cross-save love :)

James Marsden 11 January, 2013 @ 4:12 pm

We’ll see what we can do. As always, we need support from you guys to be able to grow our games/ambitions/studio :)

Diablo_Rosso 11 January, 2013 @ 4:11 pm   10

Really looking forward to this. Nice one guys. :)

uk-kurorai 11 January, 2013 @ 4:13 pm   11

Hi James. I am so happy for you guys to be able to finally deliver your intended vision for Velocity without any hardware limitations. Velocity is bloody brilliant and you guys are way too awesome a developer to be restricted to the minis platform. I’m incredibly excited and Velocity is a definite d1p for me. Thank you and thanks to Sony for supporting your vision.

XDerKleineX 11 January, 2013 @ 4:16 pm   12

Loved the original, will there be any new levels in this version?

James Marsden 14 January, 2013 @ 7:06 pm

No new levels in this version – it’s the same game, but let loose with trophies and leaderboards, and an ultra-fresh new style ;)

KiiillRoy 11 January, 2013 @ 4:19 pm   13

Hi FuturLab, this is a good news !!! I wanted a 2 but it’s good too. What about the price ?

James Marsden 11 January, 2013 @ 4:19 pm   14

The link to the Velocity Sequel Questionnaire has been omitted from the Blog post above – please check it out here if you’d like to see a sequel:

Thanks!

James

TrulyALie 11 January, 2013 @ 4:20 pm   15

Velocity was a huge surprise to me, minis never really did anything for me but Velocity was just an unbelievably good game. So glad to see both the game and your studio break out into the bigger world of PSN, where I’m sure bigger and even better things are in your future. Can’t wait for Velocity Ultra.

Reality_palez 11 January, 2013 @ 4:21 pm   16

I was just thinking about this game last week

But don’t ruin it by not putting only 7 trophies in it also doing this is way better than minis

Fred Dutton 11 January, 2013 @ 4:22 pm   17

I’m going to chime in here. Velocity is one of my absolute favourite shoot ‘em ups ever. If you haven’t played it, y’all should be really excited for this one! Very pumped!

Haven’t played a lot of minis, but Velocity is without contest the best of them all. So good to see this getting a proper PS Vita revamp :)

Are we getting a trailer (or teaser) soon? :)

Will you be able to transport your ship with touch controls now? That function was made for touch!

James Marsden 11 January, 2013 @ 4:43 pm

We’re looking into this. If it works well, we’ll use it for sure. Velocity is fast paced, so forcing players to move their hands from the buttons to the screen quickly will ultimately suck.

But it might be useful for the odd dash when you want to teleport somewhere tricky to get to quickly.

We’ll experiment!

cowbanana 11 January, 2013 @ 4:48 pm   21

I will buy this game… again! :)

I have one concern though. I don’t really like how the level tiles have taken on the irregular lines of a cheap flash game :( The original level tiles are detailed and clean (within the limits of the resolution). I like that mechanically precise look. Something is lost in translation here.

I like the ship redesign, but the level tiles shown are sort of fugly like a cheap, cartoony flash game :/ Sorry.

I will get it for the gameplay though and to support people doing nice things on the Vita.

James Marsden 14 January, 2013 @ 7:09 pm

Please excuse my confidence, but sometimes, something comes along that is so unbelievably awesome that you don’t realise it straight away. Until it has time to sink in.

Like a piece of music that is different to what you’re expecting, but you grow to love it, and before you know it, you can’t possibly imagine it being any different.

That’s what’s happening here :p

Allright, that’s an answer I can relate too. Didn’t think of the obligation to remove your fingers from the buttons. It’s just that when I played Velocity on Vita I instantly thought: how much more intuitive it would be when you could just press where you want to go.

Maybe you can test if the rear touchpad would work? If you place your index finger on it you get a cursor for instance (like with LBP Vita, where you get a circle if you place your finger on the rear of the vita), so you can move your index finger around, en when you press let’s say triangle, you transport to that spot. Just an idea :-D

cowbanana 11 January, 2013 @ 4:57 pm   23

I will buy this game… again! :)

I like the ship redesign, but the level tiles shown are sort of ugly like a cheap, cartoony flash game :/ Sorry. It would look so much better with tight linework.

This is looking really good!

Will this game have a trial? I’m kind of anal about trying before I buy unless it’s from a series I’m familiar with.

Mojo__Man 11 January, 2013 @ 6:08 pm   26

OMG CYCLOPS DOES PS BLOG!!11!!1

its just that awesome.

“As always, we need support from you guys to be able to grow our games/ambitions/studio ” – then let me preorder the game :D

ohh.. and the music.. any chance it can join the music unlimited lineup?

This is really exciting news for Vita gamers, so thanks! I loved the original and will certainly play this as well. I just filled in the questionnaire for the sequel, so thanks for giving us the opportunity to voice our ideas. Keep up the good work!

anunnakid 12 January, 2013 @ 12:25 am   29

Great! Getting this!

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

I wasn’t too excited about the original, because I’m not really into minis on PSV, but this one… Yep, count me in!

quackerzacher 12 January, 2013 @ 1:57 pm   32

just dont think $10 is ok you will probably get 3 or more times the sales at $5 i know i would be interested

Private-Lu 12 January, 2013 @ 5:28 pm   33

Oh My God, Oh My God, Oh My God, Oh My God, Oh My God, Oh My God.

I loved the original, I played it for hours, now it’s getting a Vita upgrade, got a price yet? I’d love to play this.

If I could I’d buy it twice. Oh better yet, I’ll get that soundtrack too.

I wish more games would come out like this, it’s unique, first you think it’s something you’ve seen before, but then it gets amazing and cool. I really wish I hadn’t read this blog post, now I can’t wait.

bennyrafal 12 January, 2013 @ 5:58 pm   34

survey submited….

Best news ever… Thank you!

siavash_uae 13 January, 2013 @ 11:34 pm   36

Wow…I love the original! I bought it a couple of weeks ago on my Vita.

Everything is awesome about this game! The music, The art style, The gameplay !

Keep up the good work. I’m happy to buy it again to support you guys.

chrisboers 14 January, 2013 @ 10:31 am   37

Amazing. This game is WAY too good to be a Mini :-) I have it as part of the PS Plus offer, but never actually played it, because most minis are just not that great. This one is the positive exception.

I checked out this review of the mini, and now can’t wait to get home and play it:

dillusion 16 January, 2013 @ 3:59 pm   38

I would pay 5.99 GBP for it. Of course, more as well, but I am not sure how many would try it at a price beyond that.