Posted 11 January

Sumioni: Demon Arts paints a picture on PS Vita next week

sumioni_002

At long last, Europe, the fate of the world can rest in your brushes as well! It’s official: Acquire’s action-packed PS Vita platformer Sumioni: Demon Arts is slated for release in the European PlayStation Store on 16th January, for the entirely affordable price of €9.99/£7.99. Soon, the epic travels of the demon Agura, the lion god Shidou and the firebird goddess Yomihi through feudal Japan will brighten up those OLED screens all across the many countries of the EU!

sumioni_004 sumioni_003

If you’re unfamiliar with this title, allow me to elaborate. Sumioni: Demon Arts is a side-scrolling platformer presented in the style of classic Japanese “sumi-e” ink prints. Agura can run, jump and swing his sword like any old platforming protagonist if you wish – or you can pause the action and trace designs on the screen in order to set your enemies (and their towers) ablaze.

If fire’s not your thing, you can also switch to the water brush and douse enemy projectiles. Or spawn lightning from the heavens. Or just draw your own platforms and pass right over your enemies unscathed!

Sumioni_Game_banner

And when push comes to shove and you’re faced with a massive boss enemy, that’s when it’s time to summon Shidou or Yomihi. Tracing a specific design on the screen brings one of your followers out, and he/she remains at your side for quite some time, dealing massive damage to all enemies on screen and totally saving your bacon.

Some stages take a different approach to the action, requiring you to survive wave after wave of enemy troops for a set period of time, or outrun a massive creature that’s chasing you down (with intent to smush you flat under its gritty boot!).

Each stage you complete is rated based on your performance (how long it took, how many enemies you killed, how much damage you took, etc.), and this performance determines which path you take through the story. Ultimately, your adventure is concluded in one of six very different endings, ranging from total annihilation to eternal victory.

sumioni_001

With beautiful Japanese artistry, cleverly-conceived PS Vita-specific controls and frenetic platforming action all in one game, Sumioni: Demon Arts is sure to sate PS Vita fans looking for something fun and unique to play on the go. Be sure to pick up your copy on 16th January, and may the Inkgods rain their blessings down upon you all!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

72 Comments 21 Author replies
Show oldest first

FINALLY! :)

Oh and Great price!

Finally!!

nice but canot convince me ,
in once life ( if u buy al games onest ) u need to make choices
games are not cheap .

i have other games in mind ;) hope to see them soon

This should pass the time till Ni No Kuni arrives on February 1st. Nice one! :)

1 year later…

Tom Lipschultz 11 January, 2013 @ 7:11 pm

Each new region and each new platform presents its own set of unique challenges. Although we’ve released a nice handful of PSN titles in Europe already, we’re still technically kind of new at this — and with Sumioni, we were also presented with a whole new platform and a whole new PSN store to work with. These things take time to figure out, and we’re a company of less than a dozen people with no physical European presence, so… yeah…

I guess what I’m trying to say is, sorry it took so long! We’re getting better about that, but there are still lots of hurdles to overcome. Your patience is greatly appreciated, and I hope you’ll agree that this was worth the wait.

chrisboers 11 January, 2013 @ 2:23 pm   7

That final image ‘coming spring 2012′ is a bit daft, but otherwise, it looks like a really interesting game. Who needs Wonderbook, if you have the same magic right on your Vita? And for that very reasonable price?

Is there any information on the duration of this game? Are there levels, bosses?

Fred Dutton 11 January, 2013 @ 2:27 pm

Sorry about that! I’m waiting for the XSEED team to send me the EU trailer – when they do I’ll swap it out. Old trailer > no trailer, right?

Tom Lipschultz 11 January, 2013 @ 6:51 pm

Sorry for the trailer confusion. We’re working on that.

The game has 30 levels, I believe, with a boss at the end of most of them (survival and chase stages don’t get bosses: they just end when the timer runs out or you make it to the end without being squashed). Most bosses are actually buildings — giant pagodas full of enemies, often with booby traps and other quirks to keep the fight interesting — but some are enormous screen-filling demons that take quite a bit of strategy to eliminate.

As for the game’s duration, one playthrough won’t take you very long, but getting every ending will probably take you a good 6-8 hours or more, and this is one of those titles that’s quite fun to replay, so you should get your money’s worth out of it. It’s quite enjoyable!

oh yeah sweetness

GoddessYurlee 11 January, 2013 @ 2:27 pm   9

sweet hope Deutshcland gets it tp T>T

I can#t wait, I have over £8 in my wallet :3 This is perfect!!

9 GoddessYurlee
no blood = i tink u wil have ( very not want to live in u contri whith al of u laws against freedom of gaming )

What about Vita’s Wake-up Club in EU?

12 = not on topic :)

supersmith2500 11 January, 2013 @ 2:42 pm   14

Make that 3 games the Vita is getting next week.

Fred Dutton 11 January, 2013 @ 2:51 pm

More to come actually – shaping up to be a good week for portable gamers.

12# 6th February.

ShivaRpgN 11 January, 2013 @ 3:01 pm   16

Fred, please tell me more about Dokuro and Ragnorak Odyssey.

Also, very happy to know the Sumioni is coming and with an affordable price, it will be bought. Now that Wake Up Club is coming around February too, things are starting to shape up. Now all that’s missing would be an awesome, large and fat sale!

Fred Dutton 11 January, 2013 @ 3:12 pm

The publishers of Dokuro and Ragnarok haven’t confirmed an EU date for either yet, however both are on their way. When they’re ready to make an announcement, we’ll ask them onto the Blog to break the news.

A full Vita sale shouldn’t be too far off either.

An huge thank you for XSEED! Without them (or ATLAS) we’d have to trust on other publisher’s to release such wonderful games here in Europe.

Considering how Square Enix doesn’t even manage to release their own PS1 Classics as Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, we can estimate pretty well how disturbingly poor our options would be. :(

Tom Lipschultz 11 January, 2013 @ 6:55 pm

We do our best. It’s tricky releasing in another region of the world, but we’ve enjoyed seeing all the rave reviews for our previous PSN releases from the European fanbase, and are more than happy to continue supporting you guys. I hope we’ll be able to release in other parts of the world sometime in the future as well.

Witcher70 11 January, 2013 @ 3:18 pm   18

This is great ! love the price too…..instant buy and will keep me going until Ni No Kuni. Thank you XSEED. And Fred any clue on those vita games you say are coming :) x

KiiillRoy 11 January, 2013 @ 3:28 pm   19

Hey Fred, can you tell me if Sumioni is multilanguages ? Thanks !

Tom Lipschultz 11 January, 2013 @ 6:56 pm

I’m afraid it’s English only. Sorry!

Tom Lipschultz 11 January, 2013 @ 6:57 pm

English only. We here at XSEED only really know English and Japanese, I’m afraid. But we’re very good at those two, at least! ;)

Tom Lipschultz 11 January, 2013 @ 6:59 pm

Sorry for the double comment. Weird internet issue seemed to have eaten my first, so I decided to try again and say a bit more the second time. And now my mistake is free for all the world to see. ;)

TrulyALie 11 January, 2013 @ 3:42 pm   20

A 2D action platformer that looks like Okami? I’m so there. And for £8? Fantastic stuff.

I wonder Fred, does SCEE actually force or “motivate” publishers to localize games into all those major European languages?

It always baffles me why we don’t simply see games that got translated into English and that’s it. No further expensive translations necessary, reduced risks to import games. We could have so many more games here that way.

Fred Dutton 11 January, 2013 @ 3:53 pm

I couldn’t speak about that with any real authority, as it’s not my department. Sorry Golwar!

If a text-heavy game was released only in a language you didn’t speak – let’s say Swahili or something – would you be aggrieved? I know I would!

ShivaRpgN 11 January, 2013 @ 4:01 pm   22

Thanks Fred, let’s hope we’ll hear more about them soon. And I’m looking forward to the sale as well :)

I was waiting for this, but didn’t expect such a nice price. Count me in!

YES FINALLY!!!\o/

Now I won’t have to keep eyeing the Japanese version on ebay for over 20 quid.

Still wanting to know when EDF 2017 is coming as I am still considering importing that from Japan (I have the other version on xbox in English).

And Dokturo…also are there any plans for EU releases of Atelier Totori and Meruru Plus?

@Fred
Well I would appreciate that a game is available in English only, rather than not being available at all. ;)

And if there would be a clear “Import/English only” section in the PSN store, nobody could complain that he thought it would be localized. And with digital distribution only games, there’d be no risk in investing into physical copies either.

Imho this would benefit everyone so much. Gamers, publishers and SCEE.
Just those who don’t speak English, they’d have the same fate as now: Missing some great games.
But on the other hand some publishers might reconsider a localization for those too, if enough people would buy the import version.

Fred Dutton 11 January, 2013 @ 4:41 pm

Yes, you make a very valid argument. It’s clearly a tricky situation with no easy solution. Anyway, like I say, not my area of expertise, so I wont add too much – but be aware that there’s plenty of conversation around these sorts of issues. Hopefully we’ll see plenty of niche Japanese titles making it over in 2013. We’re off to a good start here, and there’s two more we’ll be discussing early next week too.

Finally, thank you.
Don’t released games only in US, please.

Tom Lipschultz 11 January, 2013 @ 7:01 pm

We’re trying to expand to the rest of the world — it’s just not easy, since we have no physical presence anywhere but in the U.S. Hopefully, though, we can expand farther and farther over time!

LiquidSolid 11 January, 2013 @ 4:29 pm   27

Oh great, it’s from XSEED, so there’s another game that won’t be released in Aus or NZ. Thanks for absolutely nothing.

Tom Lipschultz 11 January, 2013 @ 7:04 pm

Hey now, there’s no need to be mean! We’ve been looking into branching out to the Australia and New Zealand PSN stores, and we think we might be on the verge of a breakthrough. Keep your eyes open for news in the coming months — hopefully, we’ll be able to expand into that corner of the world as well before too long.

We’re certainly trying our best!

first great news of this year!! so exited!

KiiillRoy 11 January, 2013 @ 4:40 pm   29

Fred, can you respond me please, thanks !

Fred Dutton 11 January, 2013 @ 4:42 pm

That’s a question for XSEED unfortunately. I’ll see if I can coax Tom on here to answer some questions…

KiiillRoy 11 January, 2013 @ 4:49 pm   30

THANK YOU !

SSJVEGETA2007 11 January, 2013 @ 5:08 pm   31

Retro City and now Sumioni, spoiled for choice! Might just have to get both :D

Same comment as I put on Velocity Ultra. Will this have a trial?

Tom Lipschultz 11 January, 2013 @ 7:06 pm

We’re not entirely sure just yet. We’ll keep you posted on that one.

Tenchuwoh 11 January, 2013 @ 6:12 pm   33

Finally!
I am gonna get this game day one!”Go Tenchu Developers”,now bring Tenchu 1 & 2 as PSone classics on Playstation Store C:

Silent_Gig 11 January, 2013 @ 6:17 pm   34

This is great news and the price is even better!
While im glad all these games are coming at once, im still gunna be broke after i buy em all. lol

FatMachismo 11 January, 2013 @ 7:09 pm   35

Absolutely fantastic news to hear, this is one of those games where I keep hearing it’s fantastic. I believe Kotaku are always raving about it.

XSEED being the ABSOLUTE STARS that they are as usual! :)

Day one for me!

YES YES YES!!!!

Nazar_Ops 11 January, 2013 @ 8:55 pm   37

1 YEAR LATER! No thanks, been waiting for this at launch. Never came, until now. Hell no, take your game back.

Tom Lipschultz 11 January, 2013 @ 10:07 pm

Why so mean? :( It’s not like we didn’t TRY to release the game sooner. We’re just extremely tiny and have no European presence, so it took a long time to work things out. As mentioned in another comment, whenever you deal with a new region or a new platform, there will always be delays, and this is the first Vita game we’ve ever released in Europe. The delay was a long one, but we persevered, and soon it will be available at long last. Isn’t it better to get it a bit late than not at all?

winkelwagentje 11 January, 2013 @ 9:55 pm   38

Hooray! Thank you XSEED. Will buy this next week, what a nice suprise! :D

supersmith2500 11 January, 2013 @ 10:18 pm   39

@Nazar_Ops:
Dude, be thankful the devs they brought this game to us. Look at RCR, that game is made by one person and it took 3 months to release for European PSN and WiiWare. Just be thankful XSEED took all that hard-earned time to release it for Europe. The later the better.

THE_FORCE 11 January, 2013 @ 10:19 pm   40

Tom ignore the dissers. The game looks great and there’s loads of us that will be recompensing you for your hard work. Jeez I wish I had your talent (and, I bet, so do the whingers ;) ).

Tom Lipschultz 11 January, 2013 @ 10:25 pm

Thanks for the kind words. We do feel bad about the long delay, though, so I understand where Nazar is coming from. We didn’t like it any more than he/she did, and we do offer our apologies to the fans for making them wait so long.

We also very much hope you all enjoy the game, however, and that you feel in the end that it was worth the wait! ;)

supersmith2500 11 January, 2013 @ 10:22 pm   41

@Nazar_Ops:
Oh and by the way in case you wondering, many other games had long delays too like we waited ages for Dyad, we finally got it, we waited ages for Auditorium HD, we finally got it, we waited for Spyro trilogy to come for PSone classics we finally got them too and there’s more and now you’re skipping buying it because of that long delay? Seesh.

cowbanana 11 January, 2013 @ 10:51 pm   42

This looks nice.

Don’t listen to the naysayers. I appreciate everything you manage to bring to the EU store. I have a few digital PSP titles from XSEED that I certainly appreciate.

I do hope you can manage to bring EU releases closer in line with the US releases though. Everything you do to make that happen will be greatly appreciated.

I only game in English, so that’s really the only language I care about, even if it isn’t my native tongue. I wouldn’t even touch other localizations with a ten foot pole, espcially any kind of local translation. Japanese voice with English text is also perfectly fine with me – I wish there wasn’t so much bureaucracy surrounding publishing and localization. “Just” translate to English and ship the game. That would satisfy most people I should think. But noooo…. we have to deal with the lowest common denominator in the entire European Union. No wonder things sometimes move at a glacial speed.

Tom Lipschultz 11 January, 2013 @ 11:17 pm

We are trying, and it looks like Corpse Party: Book of Shadows’ European debut will be *very* close to its North American release. Hopefully, that’s a trend we can continue as time goes on, too!

Sorry for my mistake.
I meant “release” no “released” in my previous post (n.26). 8P
Thanks for the reply anyway.
I’m looking forward to corpse party 2, either.

mattybwbafc 12 January, 2013 @ 12:56 am   44

This game looks brilliant and very similar style to Murasama the demon blade which i loved. Cant wait to play it, but i would like to know the difficulty of this game as i don’t want it to be too easy but hope its not frustratingly hard either.

Also if i may be cheeky, may i ask if europe will ever see unchained blades as that game looks amazing and would sell well over here. Cant you just put the US version on the european playstation store :).

Finally Thank You and keep up the good work.

VerizonPayphone 12 January, 2013 @ 1:06 am   45

Absolutely delighted with this. its a positive sign for the store. great games get missed out on just because I reside in ireland. always seemed like we got the short end of the stick. but with this, it imbues hope that I will get to see games through a different point of view instead of first person (if you catch my drift). As its my first time posting id like to say three thanks.

To fred, thank you for providing us with the weekly heads-up.

To Xseed, thanks for giving me hope for the stores less popular games being released.

To whom it may concern, thank you for castlevania symphony of the night.

Raziel-chan 12 January, 2013 @ 2:06 am   46

Yes, finally!

I kept visiting your forums and site and wondering if we’d ever get it. Thanks!

While waiting sucks, I still appreciate that you DO release games overseas as well. Because of that even though I imported the physical collector’s editions for YS I&II Chronicles, YS: Oath in Felghana, YS Seven and Legend of Heroes: Trails in the sky from the US before there was even any talk of their European release, I later bought most of them again on EU PSN. Gonna buy this one and the new Corpse Party as well.

And don’t mind the naysayers, some people are just mean for the sake of being mean.

I’ve seen some interesting comments here, especially about an English-only import section. Hell, we already have one for PSOne classics. Maybe someone could pass a word about that to Sony higher ups? I mean, that would incredibly simplify the process of releasing games here – if the publisher has no time/money for full translations, just release it in English. It’s the lingua franca anyway.

cya
Raziel-chan

LiquidSolid 12 January, 2013 @ 2:48 am   47

I think my complaints about your company are pretty understandable, seeing as it doesn’t even seem like you ever even tried to bother with us. I mean, the NZ OFLC will classify, FOR FREE, any game that’s rated under 15 by the BBFC or MA15 by the ACB (Australia Classification Board). And Australia has something similar in place, if I recall correctly. So why haven’t we seen a single thing? Because you don’t care.

Good to see things might change sometime soon though. Hopefully you’ll go through your entire catalogue, cause there are some older games that I’d like to own (like Corpse Party) but won’t be able to unless you bring them here or Sony implements gifting.

does this game have a platinum trophy?

VerizonPayphone 12 January, 2013 @ 3:32 am   49

liquidsolid, its very easy to use google and think that you have the solution to all lifes little problems. Have you personally had first hand experience in localising games? I sure as hell havent. it may be easy or it may be difficult. but if everything was as simple as you put it, the store would be like a warehouse. take behind the scenes factors into account instead of just the obvious (manpower, consumer base, contacts, time and effort) the people at xseed are doing what they can to bring games here that will have a small fanbase. Even if they have only brought a handfull of quality titles, isnt that more than your google filled waffle has brought? show some respect or dont bother posting.

R_a_z_i_e_l 12 January, 2013 @ 4:40 am   50

Sorry pretty stubborn when it comes to these sort of things won’t ever be playing this game it becomes free on PS+ or revives a huge Discount.

LiquidSolid 12 January, 2013 @ 4:54 am   51

VerizonPayphone, if it’s so easy to use Google, why can’t you use it? Australia and NZ have not even gotten a “handful of quality titles” from XSEED. In fact, we HAVEN’T HAD ANY. That is my issue and until you’re in the same situation, I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself.

Oh and FYI, I didn’t get that information from Google, I got it from the NZ OFLC themselves. As far as I’m aware, all it would require from XSEED is some paper work.

That’s a nice game!

Tsubaki_14 12 January, 2013 @ 1:25 pm   53

ooh this looks great! Definitely picking it up when I get a vita :D I love xseed games <3

Project2insanity 12 January, 2013 @ 4:45 pm   54

@LiquidSolid; When you say “As far as I’m aware,” I think that was his point. You’re being mighty disrespectful to him and the developer based on your assumptions.

LiquidSolid 12 January, 2013 @ 6:32 pm   55

@Project2insanity: If that’s his point, it’s a terrible one anyway because it’s nothing more than an excuse.

As far as being disrespectful, BOO HOO. The fact that they don’t deem us worthy of even a minimal amount effort is ridiculously disrespectful in and of itself and yet you’re running to their aid when I call them out for that. Why? Because you’re not the one being treated like a third class consumer? So I’m going to go ahead and assume the two of you have never once complained about the typical delays we see with games like Retro City Rampage then, right?

Project2insanity 12 January, 2013 @ 7:04 pm   56

@LiquidSolid; I won’t bicker with you but I do disagree with you. I’d say he makes a good point. I’m not saying you’re in the wrong but you’re still basing your opinion on your assumptions rather than fact. The developers have already responded to you with reason. Does taking time to respond to feedback- good and bad- sound like the action of someone who doesn’t care? Is there a reason why a business would not want to increase revenue?

On a side note, positive reinforcement is a better way to voice your concerns. If you work, do you work harder for a customer who is disappointed yet respectful or work harder for a customer who is barking orders at you? I don’t personally know anybody who opts for the latter.

As for RCR, that’s one assumption you’re correct about with me. I’ll give you the sole reason why, and it’s a doozy: gaming isn’t and never has been a right, it’s a privilege. I’m grateful for that privilege.

KaiserSoza13 12 January, 2013 @ 10:54 pm   57

I would love to see a Legend of Heroes Trilogy released on the European PSN store we never got the first three here in Europe on the PSP, cost me a bomb to import them. Can’t wait to play Sumioni, loved the demo on my us account.

LiquidSolid 13 January, 2013 @ 2:10 pm   58

@Project2insanity: I’m basing my opinion on assumptions? There’s a difference between an educated opinion and just making rubbish up. Despite the condescending assumption from VerizonPayphone that my opinion is “google filled waffle”, I have, in fact, done some pretty decent research. I know enough facts about this. But even if I didn’t, why should I accept excuses anyway? That’s all they are. The end result is still the same. And if Ghostlight and Rising Star Games can get their games out over here, why can’t XSEED and NIS?

Positive reinforcement is a better way to voice your concerns? How patronising. It’s been over 2 years. I (and others) have politely enquired about this in the past and the replies were nothing but excuses and “give us money using a different account” kind of responses, which were, quite frankly, insulting. So why should I be respectful again? They clearly don’t care, so it doesn’t matter what I do, does it?

As for that last bit, what? Of course games aren’t a right but calling it a privilege is just as laughable. There’s no reason at all to be grateful for a company deeming you worthy to give them money in exchange for a product. If they don’t want my money, it’ll go somewhere else.

Project2insanity 13 January, 2013 @ 3:20 pm   59

@LiquidSolid; I’ll say my last piece on this because it’s clear you’d rather mindlessly argue about your own opinion being ‘right’ rather than a civilised debate.

You’re correct that VerizonPayphone wrongly assumed you did no research but you are doing the same by assuming that the step/s beyond your research are simple to complete. Unless you know the complete journey, regardless of how close to the end you came, it’s unfair to assume that whether it is correct or not.

As for them caring, I’ll skip any justification since you won’t consider otherwise. What I will ask instead, though, is what exactly do you think they owe you? I totally understand voicing opinions and I fully encourage it but you’re voicing your own as if they shouldn’t be allowed a choice to release where they choose. Why does your opinion supposedly supersede theirs?

If you don’t consider gaming a privilege, I don’t know why you’re here. It isn’t one to hand over money for a product as you said, however, it is for something that developers put their hearts and souls into. MGS, FFVII, Okami, Journey, etc aren’t just products, they are compliments to life

Finally out in EU. Hope more will come soon!

Lord_Gremlin 13 January, 2013 @ 8:28 pm   61

I guess I will buy Sumioni. It’s that one game that one could import in Japanese language only, since US release was digital. Otherwise I would have imported it a long, long time ago. Like I did with Ragnarok Odyssey.. Published by XSEED by the way. And others.. Nice game, got platinum in it a while ago.
I wonder if Lord of Apocalypse ever gets translated.

Then again, maybe I should hold off buying this game. To send a message – simultaneous release or sod off. Well, plus-minus month doesn’t count. But a year delay… It’s a matter of principle. I’ve happily paid $100 for Hatsune Miku game on vita, but for a year old average game like this 10 euros feels like a rip-off. Sure, people not buying EU release means less incentive for said releases… But publishers should use their brain once in a while too. You can’t expect to make good money on year old stuff. Pick up something new. Get in touch with Malicious devs or something. It’s not 2000 anymore, it’s 2013.

@32 There is a demo / trial on Japanese PSN store and I’ve played it a way way back and it has convinced me to buy this so if you really want to try there is a way …

Looking forward to picking up this title – love the art style.

On the subject of localisation, I understand why there can be delays localising for differenet languages but when a number of countries speak English natively why can’t titles be released in those countries at the same time as in the U.S. ? Also, how feasible is it to simply offer the U.S. English release until a localised version is available?

LiquidSolid 14 January, 2013 @ 4:24 pm   64

@Project2insanity: Compliments to life?! Get off the corporate koolaid. I love games but I’m not going to delude myself into thinking publishers are looking out for my interests. And if a company does something that I completely disagree with, I’m fine with spending my money elsewhere. There’s no shortage of good games nowadays, so it’s not like I’ll be too concerned. Just off the top of my head, I can tell you right now that there’s no possible way I’m buying Persona 4 Arena for obvious reasons. And I’ll second guess any Atlus purchases in the future.

What do I think they owe me? Nothing. But that doesn’t mean I don’t expect to be treated the same as others. Will that have extra complications? Sure but is that my problem? No. Once again, I don’t see Ghostlight or Rising Star Games doing the same thing or running for excuses.

If Tom was telling the truth and they do get it sorted out then great. My anger will die down eventually and it’ll be water under the bridge. If not, then I’ll continue to be angry with them. Simple.

Tom Lipschultz 14 January, 2013 @ 8:27 pm

I understand your anger with us, but we really are doing our best. It’s easy for fans to say that things like this are “just paperwork,” but there’s really a lot more to it than that. Expanding to a new region of the world — one in which we have no physical presence and no contacts — is extremely tricky. Especially in a company with less than a dozen employees and a release schedule of 8 to 14 games per year. We have to prioritize releasing new games over expanding the reach of our existing catalogue in order to stay in business — but we still take time out to release our products in other countries, and we’re getting steadily more and more worldly with each passing month.

Remember, for the first 5+ years of XSEED’s life, we didn’t release any of our games outside of North America. Then we added EU, but were slow to release games there. Over time, we became better able to release games in the EU more quickly (with some exceptions, such as Sumioni), and now we’re working on expanding to other countries as well. Considering we’re basically a mom-and-pop shop in an LA suburb, I’d say we’re doing pretty well!

Tom Lipschultz 14 January, 2013 @ 8:27 pm

(continued)

In short, we can’t do everything and be everywhere at once. We simply don’t have the time, money or manpower for that. But we’re trying anyway… and we’re getting better at it over time. Have patience, and sometime in the (hopefully near) future, your corner of the world will be another one of our release outlets.

Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Lord_Gremlin 15 January, 2013 @ 8:01 pm   65

Well, the matter of fact is – you’ll be getting good sales only with new products. Sure, year old stuff will bring in some money, with later sales and PS+ (Sony paying you). You want to make money on EU? Bring on new Malicious, or Lord of Apocalypse, or Hatsune Miku project diva f. Something that has not been out in English for years.

Utima_cloud 16 January, 2013 @ 8:18 am   66

Just wondering why it has the tagged as AU when there as never been a XSEED game released on the AU PlayStation Store? I mean i love XSEED games but they never seem to get released in aus. And it was rather cruel with these blog posts having the AU tag only for games that will never get released in AU…. I was shattered when corpse party never got a release after reading an earlier blog post tagged as AU… :(

cowbanana 16 January, 2013 @ 5:46 pm   67

Wow… I retract anything positive I said in post #42.

Was it too hard to mention that Sumioni wouldn’t be available in Scandinavia and many other countries? UK isn’t the whole of EU, you know…

I am disappointed in XSEED and I really don’t understand how hard it could be to publish a digital game in an online store when you’re publishing on the UK store. All retail games are in English here, so why don’t you publish on PSN here? What’s the problem?

I hope you don’t pull this stunt on Corpse Party: Book of Shadows in the EU.

I don’t think I like XSEED anymore. Not with how you handle communication and your lack of effort. It should be just as easy to publish an English game here as in the UK.

Raziel-chan 16 January, 2013 @ 7:40 pm   68

Hahah, wow… Okay, I retract some of the positive things I said in my last post. Seriously? Unavailable in so many countries? Why not just post “available only in UK” and be done with it?

Why isn’t it available in other countries anyway? Some I can understand, but many of them are in the EU? How difficult is it to publish something within the EU?

cya
Raziel-chan

This is superlame.

“brighten up those OLED screens all across the many countries of the EU!”
Do you even know what Europe is? Don’t write it like that when you know it’s only England.

Really crappy to not release it in scandinavia, since every last one of us speaks english.

Well, no money for you then.

Great, one game I was genuinely excited about and it didn’t came out in Poland, as we are not EU, right? I guess Poland would have to become part of the United Kingdom to be considered European enough.

I got hyped by false advertising – feeling like a dumbass now.

cowbanana 18 January, 2013 @ 12:50 pm   71

XSEED, if you’re reading this still…

What about Book of Shadows, do we neglected Scandinavians miss out on that as well?

If/when you do a blog post here on that game, you might want to make it very clear who gets it and who aren’t worthy (because of a few tiny localised text strings on the store. (apparently?)

If more than ten people buy a game, it should cover the costs of the minuscule amount of translation work needed, I think. People, like me, would probably do it for free if that’s really all that stands in the way of getting games published on the Scandinavian stores.

Scott-ieFox 20 January, 2013 @ 11:15 pm   72

It always saddens me to log into the eu and us stores and see all the shiny vita games the aus store doesn’t get. If only the vita wasn’t so locked down to a single psn and was more like the ps3. Oh well. Any word on if aus will get a-men on vita? The ps3 version is up. Heard its like Lost Vikings.

Sad we won’t get to play sumioni though, looked pretty.