Posted 12:00pm

Community update: New forum features now live

Header

Hey everyone. We have recently launched a brand new feature to the Official PlayStation Forums that automatically ranks all community members across various levels.

The ranks range from level 1 for any users posting for the first time, all the way up to level 16, which is the ultimate rank on the PlayStation Forums. To achieve this, you have to be a pretty amazing member of the community, by not only posting great messages but by receiving Kudos from your fellow members and even helping folks out and having ‘Accepted Solutions’ accredited to you.

Ranking

Think of it as similar to the way that you might advance your XP level in FIFA or ranking level in CoD, for example.

On top of that, we have also implemented a new “Champion rank” on the Official PlayStation Forums. This Champion rank will be an additional rank to those super users of the Forums who have proved themselves helpful on specific boards.

Champion

So if you spot a Champion user whilst browsing the PlayStation Forums, rest assured that they should be able to offer any assistance or at least be kind enough to point you in the right direction for any query or issue you may have.

For further information and to go into more detail on the new PlayStation Forum functionality, be sure to visit our New Ranking announcement and New Champion Rank announcements on our Official PlayStation Forums.

And of course, if you have any questions, pop them in here and I’ll do my best to answer!

GameAwards2012

Also, don’t forget to post your nominations in our Annual Community Awards of 2012!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

19 Comments 5 Author replies
Show oldest first

CoolRichy008UK 14 January, 2013 @ 12:11 pm   1

ooh coool im gonna has a look at that :D

TINTINTB303 14 January, 2013 @ 12:29 pm   2

I’m confused (doesn’t take much).

This “Level” system has been around for a while now.

I would hardly call it a “brand new feature”…

I like it though :-)

The level system is unfairly (and unjustifiably) weighted in areas that are irrelevant.

I’ve been on the forum almost six years,made 7,739 posts and have been given 195 Kudos and I’m only a level 3.

Yet many PSN users that have been members for less than a year, have made fewer posts and received fewer Kudos than myself are ranked higher.

Obviously loyalty and forum input means little to nothing. :/

Chris Owen 14 January, 2013 @ 1:33 pm   4

Thanks for the feedback Force, we have never disclosed the metrics required to hit specific levels so I’m not sure how they are irrelevant.

A lot of people are very close to ranking up quite a number of levels by hitting the specific metrics, kudos received and posts made are only a small portion of the metrics required, I would suggest at looking at stats where perhaps you haven’t been so active such as Accepted Solutions.

now fix mobile app so it posts all the time and not just some of the time

My point Vissy, is that metrics such as ‘accepted solutions’ I personally don’t find very relevant to dictating how we’re portrayed as a community member.

For such a minor metric to handicap you when you have been active in many other parts of the forum as I have for so long, I do feel is unjustified.

For example, the thread that I created in Vita General Discussion to share our PSN IDs, I thought would be deemed as more helpful than one or two ‘accepted solutions’(especially at 44 pages long!). I’d assume that creating a useful thread such as, more helpful to a wider section of the community – and thus should carry more weight.

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem so. Maybe the metric system requires some looking in to?

Chris Owen 14 January, 2013 @ 2:28 pm

That thread has indeed received ‘kudos’ (deservedly so).

The rankings is no way meant to portray the value of the members of the forum, it’s been added as an additional fun way of distinguishing between the vast array of forumers (as well as encouraging people to use some of the lesser used, but fantastic functionality of the boards)

Helping people on a personal level is always a good thing right?

chrisboers 14 January, 2013 @ 2:36 pm   7

@Chris Owen: Sadly, no-one knows the actual metrics, so they can in no way encourage people towards those ‘lesser used’ areas. That’s Human Relations 101 textbook.

I agree these levels are purely for fun, but without public, or at least guessable metrics (like those for trophy levels), they serve no other purpose.

Chris Owen 14 January, 2013 @ 2:41 pm

Hey Chris,

We intentionally didn’t give the specific metrics needed to avoid any abuse of the systems.

We did however give hints about which metrics were included. The best thing to do is look at your own stats and see which areas could perhaps be improved upon :)

lol Vissy it seems as though my 195 Kudos received hasn’t helped in any way though has it ?! Nor has my amount of posts, or the length of time I’ve been a member! Do you not see what I’m saying ?!

From looking at my stats, the only areas that I appear to be ‘lacking’ in is ‘blogs posted’ and ‘answers posted’. If it is indeed only those two areas that are preventing me from leveling up, then yes – I do think the metric system has been poorly and unfairly designed!

Chris Owen 14 January, 2013 @ 3:21 pm

I can confirm they are not part of the metrics required :) I’ll reiterate that a lot of people are just one metric off from ranking up very quickly indeed ;)

declan__watson 14 January, 2013 @ 4:05 pm   9

Hi Chris
Great new update, it will certinly make people know about others appatite for forums within playstation.

A great new update Chris great worl. ;) LongLivePlay

declan__watson 14 January, 2013 @ 4:05 pm   10

Work*

i not give one bit about Kudos ore lev. in forums

i only like ofline trophies in games

I happy for this, I’m level 3, although, having said that, I am not as active on the forums as many others who are also level 3… Although, this does give me incentive to become more active, thanks for this!!

maybe a littel bit offtopic, but still on spot I think. I would had liked a forum where every released game got their own page where users could discuss the game and also most important that the developers is on it aswell and can reply direct to their customers. for example giving feedback on smartas the stats on leaderboards on the continents is way off with europe and usa atleast completly wrong, and like sunflowers wich have glitched throphies so we can request fixes/updates on those.. just to mention a few things I think many users would like to know some official replies on. Its just stupid today when all need to ask developers the same questions over and over again,if possible at all becouse of lack of contact information. if not possible now so consider it atleast for the next gen ps launch :)

Chris Owen 15 January, 2013 @ 8:53 am

Hey there MJ,

It would be impractical to create pages for every single game release due to the differing popularity between games and such a large number of new pages would make navigation difficult.

The new tagging system we have recently introduced should be beneficial to you to help you find and information or discussions regarding specific game releases :)

Hope that helps!

supersmith2500 14 January, 2013 @ 6:32 pm   14

Hey there, any chance you can switch the ad on the forums to something else. Pottermore seems to be there so a long time now.

What mJ_Msv said. Not every little game has their own website with a forum, and this would be good for fans of those games to be able to discuss them.

I am already level 3 so that is surprising seeing as I only was active a short period of time some years back. But it’s cool though. :)

another_gamer195 15 January, 2013 @ 10:02 am   16

Have ‘met’ some good natured people over at official forums, and like it. However i have to remention a unresolved concern, about ‘answered or resolved’ questions, i have noticed myself and another user posted asking why some questions get the ‘solved’ stamp, But aren’t, solved that is.. He had asked something or other, came back to check for answers and seen a ‘solution’ he’d allready ruled out as helpful, as the ‘solved answer’ to his problem, rightly he then posted asking, Aren’t I meant to be the only person to say ‘right/correct’ solution, But because this first problem got marked as solved, it quickly dropped down the page and no answer was given to how someone else can/could mark a question as solved/answered. So How can a wrong/unhelpfull solution end up getting given the resolved stamp ?, and Why does the ‘kudos or points’ get given out IF the original question asker Does’nt get any help. Also i will bet that some of the higher ranking levels got there by repeating the, ‘contact cust services’ phrase, lots of times, But people who have actually writen lenghty ‘how to’ fixes ‘occasionally’ will be ranked lower. No, i agree with above posts, this system Cannot be fair.

Chris Owen 15 January, 2013 @ 11:02 am   17

Accepted solutions can be marked as resolved either by the author of the original post or one of the community team. There is an option in the menu for either to mark it as ‘Not the solution’ if required.

No system is ever going to be foolproof but a scheme that encourages users to be helpful can only be a good thing, right?

Thanks for the reply Chris, but I think you take totally wrong saying navigation would be difficult, as the forum is now its too messy that I use it too often, unorganized (And actually too difficult to navigate/look for what you are intrested in), to show off a good example you should look at for example http://www.ps3trophies.org/ how extremely well they manage to do excatly what I would like you to do to organize each game in their own sub category!, except they is not official, or there is not often offical developers there replying, it’s still my best source for information nowadays when it comes to troubles with games and my first choice before the official forum!

Chris Owen 16 January, 2013 @ 9:38 am   19

Hey MJ,

We are currently working on a re-structure which should help navigation of the forums, keep your eyes peeled for more news on that in the future :)