Posted 3:00pm

Retro City Rampage roars onto PSN this week

Retro City Rampage - Movie Poster Thumbnail

Are you rad enough to outrun the law and carjack the ’80s? Then power-up your POWER-UPS, because you’re about to go on a RETRO CITY RAMPAGE!

Retro City Rampage is finally coming to Europe on PlayStation this Wednesday after its legendary (and lengthy) development. I greatly appreciate everyone’s patience. Your wait was not without merit, and you’ll be enjoying the best possible game from day one. It boasts an additional month of development, polish and improvements since the original North American release, which has dominated the charts; sitting at #1 on PS Vita downloads since it was released.

Retro City Rampage 5

Retro City Rampage drops you into an 8-bit open world full of send-ups of ’80s and ’90s video games and pop-culture. Mashing up the old and the new, you’ll be jumping on civilians for coins before stealing their cars to outrun the law and get to the next mission.

There’s no better way to grasp just what it is than to just watch the trailer below.

It’s not all just the classic driving and shooting. The missions span many genres, all crammed into the open-world experience, sharing the game’s moves and mechanics. To add more to the strategy, many missions can’t be attacked simply guns-a-blazin’. Much like classic games required you to figure out boss patterns, some missions revolve around a similar idea. They’ll require you to stop and strategise or your death count will quickly rise.

Retro City Rampage 1 Retro City Rampage 4

For example, you must figure out which weapons or moves to use (such as the stomp), or where to enter an area filled with enemies. The game has hint screens and checkpoints to make these parts more forgiving for modern gamers not accustomed to retro games, but prepare for a real challenge on some missions.

Retro City Rampage - SMS Box Insert

Much of the game is also non-linear, so if you’re stuck on a mission, you can always drop out, then go back to it later. Spend some time free roaming, playing arcade challenges, mini-games, or other missions. There can be up to a half-dozen missions unlocked at once.

Retro City Rampage 18 Retro City Rampage 19

The overlying theme of the game combines even more layers. On the surface it will evoke your nostalgia for the 8-bit era with densely packed references and nods, but beyond that, it is also composed of parodies, satire, puns, innuendo, social/local/industry commentary, PSAs, inside jokes, a few memes and some classroom humour to take you back to your childhood. There’s something for everyone.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

141 Comments 31 Author replies
Show oldest first

chrisboers 14 January, 2013 @ 3:06 pm   1

This is what GTA would have looked like if it was released on the C64.

Brian Provinciano 14 January, 2013 @ 5:54 pm

It actually has a video filter that allows you to play the game in a C64-like mode!

Dante_Zero 14 January, 2013 @ 3:08 pm   2

I checked the US version out and this is great. However a month extra development is fine but it’s been out in US for what two and a half months and even made it’s way on to US Playstation Plus. I’m kind of disappointed that no effort has been made to address these issue other than to say it’s the best version of he game. While that maybe true it’s still doesn’t address the issues tbh.

I would still recommend the game to people but I don’t personally like how the European approach has been handled and that needs to be addressed with any future projects. Just some feedback.

Dirty-spaz 14 January, 2013 @ 3:08 pm   3

Do I buy on weds? or wait a few more weeks when it will be a ps plus freebie ….

jack_gllghr 14 January, 2013 @ 3:08 pm   4

Is this cross-buy??

At last! How much is it, and does it have a Plus discount? :)

will we have a discount because of the long wait or will this be £11.99

Fred Dutton 14 January, 2013 @ 4:46 pm

Let’s all keep a sense of perspective. Brian has been slaving over this game for the past three years almost single-handedly. It’s a labour of love, so I imagine coming on here and seeing these demands for a discount must be pretty depressing.

Yes, there has been a bit of a release delay, due to a number of hard-to-avoid issues. While that’s certainly not ideal for anyone, I’d ask that if you like the look of the game, please go ahead and support him. Considering the blood, sweat and tears he’s put into the game, he deserves it. That goes for all small one-man-band developers – this is their livelihood, after all.

I’m glad to hear the extra wait at least amounted to extra development taking place. That’s something… SCEE REALLY need to have a big meeting on a long list of issues though in terms of the digital domain…

almighty-slayer 14 January, 2013 @ 3:24 pm   8

Got bored of waiting ages ago and spend the money on something else.

Also: This wasn’t SCEE’s fault, i don’t know why you’re all so quick to blame SCEE.

So what is the price? Better be like €8.99 or lower if you want anyone of does who wanted the game months ago to buy it.

Waited too long and lost interest, only way i will play this is when it inevitably comes to plus.

jos3moreira 14 January, 2013 @ 3:44 pm   11

Like many other users, i’ve lost interest too.

Hoping this will be in February’s PS Plus content.

not mi ting waiting real deal = gta v
instaling after …… long long time europe almoast gets loading screen ;) ( 1 word = lol )

wen we see to long info on games before ith release we lose every intrest after long time waiting to coming to euro zone .

supersmith2500 14 January, 2013 @ 4:11 pm   14

Hope this will be under £10 or becomes free in next month’s IGC since US already has it but if not however I’ll just buy it instead. Btw, will the game have the option to turn hints on or off?

Brian Provinciano 14 January, 2013 @ 5:57 pm

The hints only appear if you fail missions repeatedly, so if you’re a skilled player they won’t change your experience. If you do encounter the hint screens you can just press X and it’ll go away before you even have time to read it :) It’s not going to be in IGC.

This game ‘d better not cost 15 Euro.

We had to wait for months and it’s been discounted to ten dollars in the US.

Don’t treat us like fools.

Brian Provinciano 14 January, 2013 @ 5:59 pm

That was a one week holiday sale. It’s not going to cost 15 euros though.

This game was the thing a while back in the US, wasn’t it?
Not sure if I like this. It doen’t look very appealing to me.
Does it has a demo?

Brian Provinciano 14 January, 2013 @ 5:58 pm

There is a demo. It’s a game for players who grew up in the ’80s or early ’90s.

I, like so many others, waited for the game to be released in October of 2012. I need a good excuse for this delay if you may?
Really, some updates to maps and cars and checkpoints were worth the wait?

I was really hyped up for the game (from videos and the reviews of the press) but after so many delays and not a proper answer from the publisher or the developer for the matter, it really disappointed me.

I was disappointed of seeing so many post, from users, every week in every EU PSN Store Update asking for 2 games in particular and seeing only an answer , “No comment”.

Retro city Rampage (yours!!!) and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

The way you handed the Delay for the EU PSN was at least disappointing. No information at all.

I will still buy it but in the future I will be extra careful if I see any future projects and the promises you make from you for the PS3 and especially the EU PSN.

This looks brilliant, I don’t care if it has been delayed, at least it’s coming now :3 Thanks alot it looks fantastic!!!

WHAT?! Didn’t even realise this was on Vita too!! I’m going to buy the Vita version instead actually, I’m fairly addicted to my Vita right now

Brian Provinciano 14 January, 2013 @ 4:58 pm

You get both the PS3 and Vita versions together for one price. Cross-Buy and Cross-Save!

Better late than never, I’d say! I’ll be buying this. Looks like a lot of fun and it’s clearly had a great deal of hard work put into it.

Chocobo115 14 January, 2013 @ 4:55 pm   21

Will wait for this to either go on sale or go for free on PS+ (since US had it for free already).

arnau1555 14 January, 2013 @ 5:05 pm   22

Great game, i’ll buy it day one!
Brian, you’ve done a great job with this game, i’m developer and i know how hard is create a game (or a program xD) with a small team (and much more harder if is just a person).
Best regards !

@Fred

But is quite natural that we’ll question the price and release now. We had to wait so long with several promises that it would be released with the next patch.

Meanwhile we’ve seen sales on Steam or the game being part of Plus in NA. So of course people will question why we should pay full price now. Just because we had to wait longer? Feels like a double punishment.

I like the humor of the game, I like its art & style. But I don’t like how we’ve been treated here. And while I can absolutely understand that he does really everything related to the game himself, it won’t change the impression that it leaves on our side.

Brian Provinciano 14 January, 2013 @ 6:32 pm

Different platforms are different companies. Different regions are even different companies. Just as in the physical world where one grocery store might have a vegetable on sale when others don’t, you as a consumer have the choice to go to that store with the sale to purchase it.

As a developer, we must earn back the money put into the game to continue making games and then earn profit to fund future games. Events including the Holiday Sales are important for developers to earn additional revenue from. If a game is not available in a store during a holiday sale then it will not get the benefits of a holiday sale. Holiday sales do not reflect other potential sales.

dalndolver 14 January, 2013 @ 5:09 pm   24

Dear Moderator, a lot of these comments appear to convey a sense of malcontent over the delay and expected price point between the US and the EU PSN. Out of interest, do the comments left here get passed on in any way? Do you guys have to make a report and present your findings further up the chain, or does it go no further than here?

Thanks for this article all the same!

RCR Cross buy? Sold to the man in the purple t-shirt.
(I should’ve said, I’m wearing a purple t-shirt).

Looks very good.

Well said Fred Dutton and well done Brian Provinciano for a great game which I’ll be picking up soon.

Edit: “Looks very good” – the game, more than my t-shirt. It’s a nice t-shirt, don’t get me wrong.

bennyrafal 14 January, 2013 @ 5:15 pm   28

Good for you Sony staff, my Kraken pet was gettin a bit nervous…

Splutterbug 14 January, 2013 @ 5:23 pm   29

It looks like you took a Delorean, went back in time, stole my childhood, and mashed it all together into one game SOLD!

KaneTheGoth 14 January, 2013 @ 5:27 pm   30

Will be getting this — after seeing the trailer and recognising so many classic (and iconic) gameplay styles it’d be rude not to!

I’ve been looking forward to this game since well before it’s US release so I’m glad it’s finally coming for us :D Just a shame that it’s only available for Vita in Australia, but I know that’s not Brian’s fault it’s because of the ridiculous classification board in Australia. Yet another game that won’t get to reach everyone that it would because of bureaucracy. Anyway I’ll definitely be picking this up to support the dev and I suggest everyone else does too, despite the delay.

almighty-slayer 14 January, 2013 @ 5:39 pm   32

To be fair Fred, we all know it’s been free on PS+ in the US, so we’re all expecting it to be free here at some point. Heh

Yess, finally! Some people might have lost interest, but not me. Especially since it’s a cross-buy. It might end up being free for PS+ members, but I wan’t to own it anyway ;]

supersmith2500 14 January, 2013 @ 5:47 pm   34

I bet RCR becomes free for IGC next month.

Day one buy, it looks amazing and the dev deserves much love for this hard work. Sure it was a bit disappointing to see it pushed back in EU, but instead we get a polished game from day one now :)

Go buy it guys in the new updated store, which is much faster :P

This would have been a definite buy for me about a month ago when I had lots of time. Now I have less time and games are starting to pile up, and I simply won’t have a chance to play this, so I won’t be buying it now. Maybe later, if the price is right.

So although a short delay wouldn’t have stopped me buying it, the much longer delay now has. Not to criticise, since the delay was largely understandable, but this is why following a “Europe last, when there’s time for it” strategy is a bad idea.

Brian Provinciano 14 January, 2013 @ 6:34 pm

That’s now how things happened. Europe is in fact, not last. The strategy was always ASAP. Certain unavoidable factors just made things take this long. Few understand that releasing a game is not a simple click of a mouse.

got sick of waiting played it on xbox instead! if the game was ready enough to be released on everything else along time ago i cant understand the delay for europe.

Bassmonkey_Mike 14 January, 2013 @ 6:09 pm   38

why does everyone want games for nothing these days? stop moaning about prices…bet most of u buy junk food & fags without battering an eyelid. That is all. x

Mishimotsu 14 January, 2013 @ 6:22 pm   39

Wow completely forgot about this game, didn’t even realise it was out in the US and wasn’t aware it was coming to the Vita either (or possibly I didn’t have a Vita when it was first announced so ignored that fact)… looking forward to getting this! :)

Megatrons_Fury 14 January, 2013 @ 6:24 pm   40

I got this a while back on the XBOX360 because Sony Europe like always dropped the ball yet again.

So I did the only thing i could, i supported the game and the developer whilst sticking 2 fingers up at the rubbish Sony network.

My PS PLUS subscription is the only cash you get from me now, i used to buy tons of stuff but i cant remember the last time i was wowed by the Euro team, the offers, the sales even the ps plus selection is sub standard a lot of the time.

I understand that Microsoft strong armed smaller devs into exclusivity contracts and that made things hard but you dont help yourself by having a 2 tier plus system that monthly angers both sides of the ocean.

You need to adapt your thinking, its not the same world anymore, theres no such thing as blind loyalty to consoles, we have so much choice now as consumers.

I hope 2013 is a more fair and balanced year, i want to spend more, its your job to make me.

Jamesyp00 14 January, 2013 @ 6:25 pm   41

I’m not fully sold on this game but im really glad you’ve included a demo, will give this a proper shot!

supersmith2500 14 January, 2013 @ 6:27 pm   42

@Brian:
Hmm, thanks for comment and also bringing this awesome game to PSN. Might buy it for my Vita. And don’t worry. I waited patiently and didn’t give up waiting but a game made by only one developer? Gotta admit you’re very talent when it comes to one-man develeopers. = )

Pitty it won’t be free next month for Plus but hey. Worth’s a wait.

Splutterbug 14 January, 2013 @ 6:30 pm   43

A lot of people that haven’t gone through all the comments may well think this game could appear on PS Plus (Which you’ve confirmed it isn’t.) Especially as a price hasn’t yet been confirmed.

So if you want more day 1 sales of this you really have to get the February PS Plus list up, people will see this isn’t on and spend the money and support the small indie developer.

Was seriously looking forward to this but due to the long wait I now have far too many games to play on both my ps3 and vita.

Too much delay and not enough info given from the dev. I asked multiple questions on twitter too that never got answered and I would show more support if my questions had actually been answered.

I’ll be saving my money for a dev that actually cares and answers questions in a timely manner.

Brian Provinciano 14 January, 2013 @ 6:38 pm

10-15 people asked each day when the release date was. I cannot answer everyone. The date was announced as soon as it was known. The status “in certification” was the case for a long time. I respond with this information, people don’t accept it as an answer, then claim I’m not giving them enough information. Nothing I can do when people don’t accept my answer. I have had this page up for a while which displays up to date information on all platforms:

Cringles88 14 January, 2013 @ 6:33 pm   45

Glad there will be a demo, hope the Vita get’s a demo to. I wasn’t impressed at all when I played it on 360. Just seems like a game that would work better on a hand held.
Though I wasn’t that fond of all the ”cut scenes” from the 360 demo. It just felt like less of a game, & more of a ”spot the 80s & 90s references & occasionally press a button” or a Newgrounds.com type game. Though to be fair, that may have just been the first bit of the game to get you used to thing. Defiantly open to try it again.

Brian Provinciano 14 January, 2013 @ 6:36 pm

There’s a fast forward button which makes cutscenes optional. I’m well aware that many players (myself included) often don’t want cutscenes, which is why I put it in there.

Not in februarys plus content, eh? Support the dev you say? Nah, I’ll just wait for it to be in March’s plus content. Or April’s. If it was free on plus in the us, it probably will be here at some point too.

Lots of people expecting price reductions is a bit cheeky, do you go to the cinema and demand cheaper tickets when films are delayed in Europe too? Go watch Wreck-it Ralph now, it came out in America months ago, I bet you can get your ticket for free if you whine hard enough.

On the other hand, Brian continuously telling us that it wont be part of PS+ IGC comes across a little offish, like “No, it’s delayed and you wont get any extra incentives ever!”. Probably not intended that way, but it’s how it comes across. A simple “It wont be on PS+ for a while at least” instead of “No. Support the developer”

I can see why he’d be annoyed, he’s worked damn hard and made a very impressive game (One i really want, but can’t afford at the moment… stupid bills) so people demanding discounts is annoying. But with his answers being rather short and blunt about IGC inclusion, if it does end up on PS+ next month, or in March, he’s gonna have a lot of annoyed customers who bought it when they were told it wouldn’t be there.

I try to see both sides of the argument here, and I have to say that it’s totally not cool being rude to the developer!!!

Ok, it took a while to release in the EU, but I can’t see why this should be such a huge deal since it’s here now? Is there some kind of competition between the two sides of the pond I’m not aware of? It seems it’s easy to forget that it used to take many many months before any new console was released in the EU, let alone a game, and quite a few good games actually never made it here at all.

Having said that, I guess what made most people mad was the lack of info regarding when the game would eventually be released or the reasons why it took longer than expected.

So, as far as I’m concerned issues like this might be easily avoided in the future simply by communicating better to fans the reasons behind any delays and estimated time of release.

I personally think I will enjoy this game and don’t mind the delay at all, so day 1 purchase for me! Thanks for all the effort you put into this, thanks for the cross-buy, thanks for coming to our forum to answer questions, sorry for all the abuse and please give us EU gamers more info next time around!

Cringles88 14 January, 2013 @ 6:49 pm   49

I’m aware of the fast forward Brian which is a nice addition, but I thought the cut scenes were just a bit too frequent for my liking, I did watch & read all the dialogue, but I felt as if I was watching more than I was playing. To be fair to yourself also, I was only playing the demo for maybe 20 minutes.

I’m still really interested in the game despite my first impressions. From day 1 when I heard of the game, I’ve looked forward to it on the Vita more so than the PS3. I have no problems with paying full price either haha, I really hope the game is successful on the PS3 & Vita :D

As with all content significantly delayed for SCEE region, no buy. Cannot recall ever seeing delays between US/Euro XBLA releases, if there ever were any they were exceptions where as with SCEE seems to be the general rule.

so.. dont know if i should buy this. i would support a dev. that does not have the balls to release the game, because of microsofts ruels… then i would condone such behavior. and then he cant even talk about it. my god the reddit thing was a bad step.

hope he makes up for it, at another time.

will buy it… yes.. damn it!

playmartelli 14 January, 2013 @ 7:00 pm   52

Great to see another top indie game on the Vita. I really enjoy playing indie games on the Vita most, I had a blast playing Kyntt Underground. I really hope that developers will get behind it, I know i’ll be supporting every great indie game that comes out on the vita even more so than the big studio games.

belmont_gr 14 January, 2013 @ 7:01 pm   53

I liked the Master System reference in the boxart :-)

Anyway does the Vita version have the Gameboy filter or I am mistaken that it was promised to be in the game?

supersmith2500 14 January, 2013 @ 7:08 pm   54

You know, I think we should support him after all that hard work he has done to bring us that great game.

I think both XBLA and PSN have some advantages.

Personally I’d rather wait a bit for some games and miss the party chat than have to pay extra for the “privilege” of being able to go online to fully enjoy games I’ve already paid for when I bought them in the first place!

Instead, we get for a smaller fee quite a few excellent full games, beta trials, full game trials and discounts, which cover the cost of PS Plus alone.

The cross-buy in this case is compensation enough for me for the delay!

People are moaning about a 3 month delay from when the US got it? This is an 80′s game, just be thankful it’s not an 18 month delay like we used to have to deal with back then.

I’ll be getting this for two reasons: 1. I’m an 80′s child & 2. I’ll support any dev who makes their titles cross-buy. If more people supported the games which are, it would soon become standard.

tiago-kun 14 January, 2013 @ 7:36 pm   57

I’ll be getting this, I have it on Steam, but I’ll be getting for PS3/V too :D It’s just so AWESOME!!!

(There goes my gaming new year resolution… sort of, I mean, this is a good excuse right?)

Been watching and waiting for this game ever since it was announced for the Wii yonks ago.

So it’s a day one purchase for sure, can’t wait!

Yeah the 4 month EU delay annoyed me and sure the fact it’s a US Plus games is an ironic twist of the knife.
But it’s an awesome game that’s cross buy and save and look be a great Vita title. So I’m buying it day one to say thanks to the developer for bringing it over to the Vita which needs all the help it can get. I hope Sony take note over the grief these delays have caused. Probably not but here’s hoping for the future!

Anyway I hope the developer has plenty of success on the PS platform, it’d be interesting to here about what caused the delays at some point but I’d rather just crack on with enjoying the game and. It get caught up in the negativity that SCEE seems to attract and generate.

I also recall some extra graphic filters like a gameboy one being announced for the Vita version?
Any clarification on this would be good, either way roll on Wednesday!

LAFER-KBH 14 January, 2013 @ 7:45 pm   59

Instant buy, This is exactly what my Vita have been missing, a game that bring back memories on my gaming youth..

Plus it have one of my favorite features – CrossBuy/CrossSave!

I’d much rather support a develop who releases a cross-buy game. So I shall be buying this as it looks sweet.

CoolRichy008UK 14 January, 2013 @ 8:00 pm   61

everyone sony hates the EU and they wont make

RETRO CITY RAMPAGE free for us ps plus users Wednesday and i dont care if it takes longer to design a toilet either make this game free for ps plus Wednesday or dont bother to add it yet again the usa gets the good stuff and leaves us eu people shafted

dont like this comment DONT READ IT !

CoolRichy008UK 14 January, 2013 @ 8:02 pm   62

@54 i int gonna support no one they made the game free for ps plus in america IF IT WAS FREE THEIR IT SHOULD BE FREE HERE IN THE EU for everyone who got ps plus i think i wont bother with ps plus in 2014 because sony dont know how to run it so i wont be waisting money on this game it will be rubish anyway

robappleby89 14 January, 2013 @ 8:03 pm   63

Game looks fantastic, will be buying, especially as it is Cross-Buy. Good work Brian.

CoolRichy008UK 14 January, 2013 @ 8:05 pm   64

Gary485 i think the maker of this game hates the eu cuz it WONT BE FREE FOR PS PLUS

well i was gonna get this game well i aint now im not gonna waste my money on it soon as gta5 is out people will forget about this one sorry but im very angry if anyone dont like my comments ignore them and i never read replys so dont bother

GOOD BYE and hurry up GTA5

For those talking about “Free in America PS+ it should be free there”

Go and ask one of the americans to swap their account with yours, they’ll happily do it, because the American PS+ subscribers think the European PS+ is far superior, we get a hell of a lot more BD content than them and better discounts on PS+ too.

tiago-kun 14 January, 2013 @ 8:17 pm   66

@CoolRichy008UK

Dude, I have friends in the U.S. that are jealous of our IGC line up. We here may have the impression that it’s the US IGC that has “the best games” but there are people over there that think the opposite.

Also raging and writing in caps doesn’t help anyone, people will listen more if you make a good argument, just saying…

GametimeUK 14 January, 2013 @ 8:26 pm   67

Thank you for all the hard work, Brian. I hope you get to read this to know that some of us really appreciate your hard work regardless of a delay. On the flip side you must understand that it is annoying for us EU users who had wait months for SF2HDR, Spyro… erm… where is Counter Strike? And other shady acts like allowing us to get a season pass and not giving us the content on time (which in my opinion is inexcusable). I will support your game and I really appreciate your passion for video games which is made ever so present by RCR. Good luck because you deserve success.

zxRATTLExz 14 January, 2013 @ 8:43 pm   68

@Brian, just want to say thanks and well done for such a great game idea. I was hanging around for the PS3 release but as soon as i saw it on Xbox for 800 points i lost control of my fingers and bought it instantly. It’s been reported in magazines that you are taking a well earned break but i was wondering if you have any plans for the near future to make another Retro styled game ? If you do, make sure you get the same musician involved.

zxRATTLExz 14 January, 2013 @ 8:47 pm   69

Oh and anyone who is refusing to buy this on ps3 (if that is thier only option) because of the delay (for whatever reason) then they are shooting themselves in the foot.

R_a_z_i_e_l 14 January, 2013 @ 9:05 pm   70

Haven’t heard good things on the Review side and Comments from US players suggest the game is extremely average, no wonder it became free on the US PSN. Since there is no discount it will probably become free in a few months, until then im not touching this with a 10Foot Pole. delayed by 4 months, average reviews, no discount ? Its a big NO PURCHASE for me.

Brian Provinciano 15 January, 2013 @ 9:57 pm

It’s actually received mostly 8s and 9s with the exception of IGN, which wrote a factually inaccurate review and was called out on it in the comments.

wardragon989 14 January, 2013 @ 9:11 pm   71

Honestly even after the long delay, I’m still gonna buy it. As it looks very impressive.

It’s a shame that this delay has affected people’s minds on what looks like a fun and enjoyable game to something that should be revolted against.

If its any consideration you have released a certification delayed product quicker then Valve has. :P

Can’t wait to purchase it at full price when it releases :D

@ Raziel

I fail to see how you can decide to dismiss a game because it’s delayed 4 months and does not come with a discount. Plenty of triple A titles are often delayed by MANY months, and of course they cost full price when they’re out!

As for the average reviews, according to the above there will be a free demo, so why not give it a chance and see for yourself if it’s worth the asking price or not???

People do understand that a one man development team can only do one job at time? I’m assuming between Europe’s multiple languages and publishing laws a gap is bound to appear between us and the USA’s two languages and singular set of publishing laws, never mind everything I have no clue about.

Also a world where small teams can develop on platforms such as the playstation and Xbox is so very young that I’m assuming Sony is also still in the learning process of accommodating and helping people such as Brian Provinciano. And if you go “ugh, it’s so much later than the US. No buy!” where is the incentive for SCE to continue never mind improve.
I’ll be honest I’ve been a greedy buyer and receiver of games over christmas, even though I barely have an hour to even play my pre holiday shelf of digital delights. But I’ll still be grabbing Retro City Rampage, just like I did Derrick the deathfin, Papo and Yo, Joe Danger, Dyad…and closure (when it’s released?!) because I want to see Sony keep supporting those kinds of games and people.

Hey Brian,

I’m live in Canada so I use the US Store, but I just wanted to come over here to tell you and the commentators a few things.

1. The game is awesome. I found it got pretty hard near the end, but it was a lot of fun getting all the time machine parts. I got it for free with PS Plus, but because of that I am definitely interested in what you come up with next (if you plan on it!).

2. To anyone who’s demanding this be on discount or for free, you guys gotta understand what’s it like being an indie developer. Some are very generous, and I think it’s awesome that he let his game be on Plus in the US (probably some secret transaction going on there ;) It’s so worth it if you were on the edge hoping for a discount or free. I went it thinking I wasn’t going to like it because I’m only 15 and grew up in the late 90′s early 2000′s, but it was soooo much fun to play, and I loved going for the trophies as well! (Damn you Death Cam!!!)

Anyways, thanks for the game, Brian. It was a lot of fun to play through, and I really hope you make some good money from this a give yourself a much needed vacation after that development cycle, you deserve it!

- Zach

The biggest dissapointment about this post is that tomorrow is Tuesday. The best thing is that tomorrow is Tuesday.

This means only 1 more day to wait and then RCR is unleashed on Europe. BOOM!!

Day 1 purchase. Cant wait.

well done Brian looks like a great game. Hope to see more epicness from you in the future.

JadoreSox 14 January, 2013 @ 11:42 pm   77

I find it hard to believe this won’t be coming to PS Plus. Apologies, to the developer but I will wait. Be thankful that so many people are still interested in your game after this delay.

SuperGodEater 14 January, 2013 @ 11:49 pm   78

Seriously people need to stop being so impatient, your not entitled to constantly whinge at a developer because there issues releasing a game in you region. If you have never released a professional international game all by your self then you don’t have the right complain. America have always received games before us or even exclusively. Just Because you didn’t get the game immediately when a different region did doesn’t mean you can invalidate someones hard work and obtain the game half price or free. Loosing interest in some thing because you don’t get it exactly when you demand it is characteristic of a spoiled child. It looked good when it was announced, it looked good when it was released in America and it looks good now so ill be buying it for the full price.

knight_crusade 15 January, 2013 @ 12:25 am   79

The replies from Brian Provinciano have put me right off this game, what I gather from his replies is the developer is going use our money from the EU to fund the discounts he gave to the US. I’m not going to support a person like that because the exact same thing will happen with the next game it seems like blatant discrimination to me.

Unicronic 15 January, 2013 @ 1:10 am   80

I have a MAJOR problem with the 3 month delay & no transparency. The biggest nut shot is whilst this launched as a PSN console exclusive it made it to XBLA before EU PSN.

SCEE, your lack of openness about this won’t help your reputation (which is on the ropes judging by the blog community reaction to this and previous fiascos). This isn’t the way to support an indie developer either. Brian, thank you for giving us the best version possible but couldn’t SCEE have been kept us posted on the progress rather than radio silence. In fact, a PSN user had to cite Eurogamer (EU date) to get a confirmation on the blog that it was true.

Brian I will be getting RCR & supporting this wonderful game BUT you may have lost a lot of EU business through poor communications of SCEE. Things get delayed, we understand that, but SCEE generally gives us less than breadcrumbs on what is happening. Just track the miserable progress of CS:GO, now near 5 months overdue & no information whatsoever. We’re all very fickle about different things (me too) but a better level of communications & transparency never hurt anyone. In 2013 No news is not good news anymore. Next time remember delays can be mitigated if you talk to customers.

@79

Alternatively, he could have agreed to put it in US PS+ to get an immediate, yet smaller payoff from Sony, which would allow him to finance the EU release. The alternative would be wait for it to sell well in the US on its own and the EU release would be delayed even further until it had sold well enough to raise the cash. Just a thought.

NightRanma 15 January, 2013 @ 1:32 am   82

If it’s not too expensive in Australia I’ll probably buy it this week. My priority is the new EDF game, though.

I hope the gameplay is a lot more coherent and less random “hey look we’re referencing this thing now” putting the game all over the place, than the demo seemed to show.

It is understandable that Brian doesn’t want to gift this game away. And the same way it is understandable that we don’t want to be treated as if this were a brand new game that should be rewarded with the full price, because of all this shiny new experience.

This is a globalized world and a game as RCR is yesterday’s news. One that’s been sold or given away “for free” already. Developers and especially SCEE should learn this lesson and improve. Or take a seat when customers shift their focus elsewhere, with poor sale numbers being the result.

Seriously, does anyone expect that CS:GO will still sell considerable numbers?

@JamieIII

Charming idea, that a game about a previous era of gaming shouldn’t be expected to sell as if it would be 2012/13. ;)

I wonder how games about the dark middle ages should be sold then. Probably with years of delay, no previous announcement or information and a 1/3 chance to catch the plague, haha.

Because this isn’t going to be on PS3 in Australia, will the Vita version be cheaper for us due to no Crossbuy?

Look mummy, these kids got this game first, and they got it for free, so I want it NOW and I want it FREE, or I’m not going to do my homework and I’ll break all my toys!!!!

tekkenism 15 January, 2013 @ 8:13 am   87

That’s wonderful! Many thanks for this. Please, pretty please give us more retro classics. Namco Classics, Atari Classics, Sega Classics, PsOne Classics (Such as Tekken 3), PS2 Classics (Atari Anthology), et cetera.

AbandonedTrolley 15 January, 2013 @ 8:30 am   88

Can’t really understand people moaning about how much they wanted the game for months and months and now because of the delay they don’t want it anymore, couldn’t have wanted it that much in the first place really.

Will be picking this up as it seems the perfect game for my Vita when on the go. Well done Brian in finally getting this to the EU store and I hope it gets the sales it deserves.

tekkenism 15 January, 2013 @ 8:39 am   89

How about a River Raid HD?

Can’t wait for this. I’ll be picking it up on release day! If you guys don’t support small developers they won’t support our platforms.

Skydancerx 15 January, 2013 @ 9:49 am   91

Crossbuy is great!

I will give it a Try but it depents on the Price. Hopefully there will be a Plus DISCOUNT (not for free) on this.

StefNighthawk 15 January, 2013 @ 10:27 am   92

Support the developer, you say.
Blame the publisher, I say.
Knowing there was a delay for release in SCEE-territories the publisher should never have allowed the game to become part of US’s Instant Game Collection.
This backlash from European customers is hence more than comprehensible.

The_Last_Ninja 15 January, 2013 @ 10:56 am   93

I really don t see how you can hope for good sales on this one.

All the hype is over, people are fed up waiting for this one.
And the few that are still following it knows that it will come free someday.
I was 100% to support Brian 3 months ago but in this worldwide economy you can t hope to make big bucks of a game when it s free in US or on sales on other plateform like STEAM.

But please Brian don t blame the gamers in Europe for poor sales, blame SCEE.
Gamers in Europe were ready to support you, Sony Europe was not.

TLN

Holy crap! This looks like mix of a lot of games. GTA, SuperMarioBros, MetalGear I can sense in trailers.
Looks amazing!
Is there any chanse of getting OSX and/or iOS versions?

Luizelgespuizel 15 January, 2013 @ 12:09 pm   95

We arent going to get any discount, while the Xbox 360 version is 10 Euro’s. After the delay, you would expect a discount. Even the Xbox version was earlier while this version was a timed exclusive in the first place. Sony get your act together with worldwide releases on your Playstation store. Microsoft only had one delay between USa and EU,and that was because of rights issues with Iron Brigade.

Not to be harsh but I won’t be buying this at launch. I understand you as a dev have to make your money back but as a consumer in the current market I can’t just throw money away to support a dev for the sake of it. I know to you as we are a new region this is a new game but for all intents and purpose this is an old game. Having seen prices in sales I will not pay full price just because I live in England. I hope it comes to plus or gets a decent discount and I hope you’ve done well enough to carry on as a dev. But it should have been released the same time as everywhere else if you wanted full price.

And to the people saying there no right to complain. There is every right as its our money the dev wants and I guarantee he wants our money more than we want his game. Never forget that’s the way it should be. The bottom line is Xbox got this two weeks ago. If we got it then or Xbox was delayed till now, this reaction may have been avoided.

Luizelgespuizel 15 January, 2013 @ 12:27 pm   98

The xbox version is at the moment 10 Euro for a period, after that it is going to be 15 Euros I got a feeling the ps3 version is going to cost more than 10 Euro.

Brian Provinciano 15 January, 2013 @ 9:51 pm

The Xbox version is now the same price as the PSN version. The 800 MSP price was an error and has now been corrected.

CoolRichy008UK 15 January, 2013 @ 12:29 pm   99

fine to keep you lot happy and brian happy i just traded in black ops 2 for a psn card so i can get the game and see what the fuss is about so feel free to virtualy punch me in the face :P

and dont you dare say wow well he changed his mind quick fussing over a game that int free i know how all your minds work people if i do get the game tomorrow and like it i will buy it again on my other account as well as long as its £7.99 or has a discount then il get it

CoolRichy008UK 15 January, 2013 @ 12:31 pm   100

Luizelgespuizel the game will be about 7.99 or have a discount because i read that the wii version is about 16MB how can a huge game be a tiny MB if i do get it it better keep me buzy till gta5 and i take back what i said yesterday

grimbarian 15 January, 2013 @ 12:41 pm   101

How about for that truly authentic feel – we get a psn card that is actually a cassette?

Then all the ones that want it free would just have to find a double tape deck.

off to buy some credit now for it. looking forward to playing this.

Turbine_inc 15 January, 2013 @ 1:35 pm   103

yes there has been a release delay due to a number of hard to avoid issues……that couldve been avoided if sony didnt for some twisted reason think it was a brilliant idea to have different stores for different regions, but hey ho, when has sony ever admitted to being wrong? even when they are so obviously wrong?

the game looks like an unglorified megadrive game and for 11.99 i dont see how its worth it

one of the things that annoys me most about this generation of consoles is the sheer amount of rubbish old games and retro looking trash that is thrown in our faces, consoles these days are capable of so much more and to me there is no excuse releasing a game like this at that price, and then tell people asking for a discount is depressing

whats the point in splashing out on a current gen console to play games that couldve been released 20 years ago?

Fred Dutton 15 January, 2013 @ 2:42 pm

This thread makes me :(

There are countless gamers out there who love playing retro-inspired games and get just as much entertainment value out of them as they would more contemporary titles. If they don’t appeal to you, no problem, there are plenty of more ‘modern’-looking titles out there that look cutting edge on your PS3/Vita.

While we absolutely welcome criticism and constructive feedback concerning services or faults in games, I’m not sure your comments fall within that bracket (aside from the regional store issue, which is of course noted). Lots of people are clearly excited to play this – there’s no need to pour water all over that with this sort of negativity. Instead, why not go and post about something which you are excited to play?

You_Better_Hide 15 January, 2013 @ 1:36 pm   104

Wait, only Vita release here in Australia? That makes no sense. They released it on PC as well, why not PS3 / 360. Hmm, weird. Do not think it is the Government that stopped this, according to news articles, the Dev did not want to submit due to costs. Well does it support trophies on the Vita version in Australia, because they listed it as a mobile game (which is exempt from classification)

Brian Provinciano 15 January, 2013 @ 9:50 pm

Console games in AU/NZ require game ratings where mobile (Vita) and PC do not. As I’m one guy doing everything from development to business, production, design, twitter, the website, the trailers, you name it, I simply couldn’t allocate the time and money to get those ratings when I can spent less time getting both the ESRB and PEGI ones which cover even more of the world in one shot.

Waited so long for this since US release, not interested anymore.

Catkiller1 15 January, 2013 @ 2:10 pm   106

I’ll support the developer if the price is right. £7.99 or less & you have my support ;)

Members are stating their disappointments due to the wait. I understand there were problems etc & it was explained but too see the game on the US store with a discount within a SALE & then free with PLUS, is frustrating to say the least.

I think the least the developer can, do is release the game at a decent price & not the intended original £11.99 price.

Played the Demo from the US store & i’m happy to part with £7.99!

fustacluck 15 January, 2013 @ 2:18 pm   107

[This is mainly aimed at SCEE and their blog minions]

Too late. If you’d released it at the time of NA, or even just gave us any information on whether it was going to be released at all in Europe, you’d have had a sale.

Instead I bought it on XBLA last week. How would it have hurt you to let us know last week before the XBLA release that it was coming out this week? Instead your usual silence made sure you didn’t get my money. Great communication, guys!

Fred Dutton 15 January, 2013 @ 2:26 pm

The date wasn’t confirmed until late last week. Brian has spoken at length on various other sites as to the reasons for the delay.

fustacluck 15 January, 2013 @ 2:21 pm   108

@TurbineInc

Don’t judge a book by its cover. It’s actually a fantastic game, which gets better if you lived through the eighties.

fustacluck 15 January, 2013 @ 3:02 pm   109

@Fred It’s cool that Brian let people know on other sites, but that then makes it random luck whether your customers will know.

Your “blog” needs some serious rethinking. It is your company’s only real line of communication with your customers in Europe, and its failing quite massively at its job.

How do you expect your customers to react if time and again we’re kept in the dark when you delay releases over here, only to find out months later that not only will it come out within a couple of days, but we get to pay extra for the privilege?

Brian Provinciano 15 January, 2013 @ 9:48 pm

The day I found out the release date was the day that it was announced. The entire time that fans were “in the dark”, we all were as well. Coordinating a release, passing certification for the first time, and the holidays where offices were closed made things unpredictable. The SCEA release was announced 4.5 days before it came out, the XBLA release 8 days before it came out. This is how digital works. Retail games can have earlier date announcements because more than likely they’re READY TO GO months in advance to ensure they hit that date and just sit in a warehouse waiting to be shipped to stores. With digital releases, they can be released as soon as possible. Unfortunately, it’s not as soon in certain cases as many of us would hope. Both myself and SCEE have done their very best. Unfortunately, releasing a game on consoles is not as simple as clicking a mouse button.

fustacluck 15 January, 2013 @ 3:02 pm   110

@Fred In order to get an answer on your blog you generally have to be quick enough to get your comment on the first two pages. Even then the responses are generally “Don’t know, I’ll have to ask someone” followed by silence” or the equivalent of “Not my department”. Either way, subsequent Wednesdays usually end up with the first two pages of comments asking for info on the same games, not allowing new enquiries to get through (you might have heard of Spyro and CS:GO).

Seriously, we might come across as over-entitled crybabies, but all we want is to be treated with the same respect as your other customers around the world. We’ve bought your console and we want to pay you more money for games on it. Just the fact that we’ve done that, despite the many errors in the early days of PS3, proves that we want to be loyal to your company. Your company just makes it really hard sometimes.

Fred Dutton 15 January, 2013 @ 3:32 pm

I’m genuinely sorry you feel that way.

Hundreds and hundreds of questions are asked on the Blog every week, and we do our best to answer as many of them as possible. As much as we’d like to, myself and Jawad (Jawad especially) both have numerous other duties, and we can’t get to absolutely everything.

If a question goes unanswered it’s generally because there are legal or business requirements that mean we are unable to make more information public at that time. It’s frustrating, I know, but I’m afraid that’s just the reality of it.

If a question is regarding a third party title, which many are, more often than not we are simply not in a position to answer as that information is not at our fingertips.

In future, if you feel a question you’ve asked has been missed in the weekly Store post thread, I suggest reposting it in the weekend Recap or asking me on Twitter (@PlayStationEU). There’s just so much noise in the Store post that sometimes it’s hard to get to everything.

Right, back on topic please.

fustacluck 15 January, 2013 @ 3:17 pm   111

@Brian Mate, I am so sorry you’ve been caught up in this rubbish. I just want to say that having played your game on 360 I would highly recommend Retro City Rampage to anyone, even those that haven’t got the history to get all of the references. It is an incredible game and is a testament to your skills and hard work. I hope that you have success on both platforms and Steam as you deserve it. Please don’t let this negativity get to you as I look forward to your next project.

fustacluck 15 January, 2013 @ 3:57 pm   112

@Fred Thanks for replying. The fact that there is all that noise is a big part of the problem, and shows the age of the design of the site, really. Could really do with a more efficient redesign for the comments section alone.

I understand the red tape that can come with your job, but in this case, as RCR came closer to release, just a word from Brian saying that it was definitely coming to SCEE PSN would have stayed my impatience, even if it was a post from you guys (remember it’s supposed to be a blog, not everything has to be a full-blown article) with a quote. As it is, his last appearance was May last year. Is it any surprise that so many lost hope?

It’s a shame, as your company have shown that they’ve learnt from their mistakes in this generation, and I hope you continue to progress.

Fred Dutton 15 January, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

Hopefully we’ll be bringing in some shiny new blog features before too long that should make commenting a smoother experience. We’re working on this.

As for RCR, it was always stated that it was coming to PSN – that was never in doubt. There was plenty of discussion behind the scenes about messaging a release timeframe to you all, but we are really reluctant to make announcements to you guys before things are 100% confirmed, hence why there was some silence on it. Unfortunately it wasn’t all tied down until late in the day. Like I said, this is just a frustrating reality of doing business. We weren’t hiding the information from you all, it just wasn’t firmed up.

Obviously this is a nuisance for everyone – we’ll absolutely do our best from our side to make sure these sorts of issues are avoided in the future.

I’ve waited for this for the Vita since it was first announced (and I think the Vita wasn’t even out at that point. I could have bought the xbox or steam version in the meantime but I waited as I believe the Vita is the perfect platform for it. Can’t wait to get it tomorrow even if the International Grains Council get it for free at some point.

One point I would like to make though – all those saying it is for 80s and 90s gamers. I’m a 70s gamer, so maybe I won’t like it after all :(

chrisboers 15 January, 2013 @ 4:24 pm   114

@Fred, I understand your dilemma in this, but I think most of the readers here would have preferred openness on this issue, and are able to handle uncertainty. Personally, I would have preferred to have heard a possible release window, even if that means it gets pushed back a couple of times.

It’s not the end of the world that Ni No Kuni was delayed a week, and it wouldn’t have been the end of the world if it was pushed back a month or two. At least people will get some insight on what’s going on behind the scenes, now you have to manage an audience that goes ‘boo, hiss’ and slow-claps. It’s difficult to recover from that when the curtains are finally drawn, and the show begins.

Just my 2ct, maybe it helps (maybe not).

Fred Dutton 15 January, 2013 @ 4:36 pm

Absolutely, comment noted. The problem arises when members of the gaming press then take my conjecture as fact ;) It’s a difficult one. But we will do our best to keep you as informed as possible in future, promise.

I surely don’t want to ruin your joy here any further Fred, but this so called business reality and requirements must seem odd from our point of view. It would be absolutely legit if everyone else in this business would have to face the very same conditions, with the very same results for each faction. But that it simply not the case.

We have dozens and dozens of examples where games manage world wide releases on other platforms, be it Steam or XBox. Just SCEE is often enough falling behind, mostly for reasons that we can’t possibly understand.

Shall I mention CS:GO? It is already localized. It is being sold in Europe, just not by SCEE. It runs on the PS3. So what kind of business reality could that be, that a translated, running and legally acknowledged game is missing for just one store on one platform?

I already know that we won’t receive any reason and I even understand why. But all those examples are the reason why it’s not up to someone on SCEE’s side to be “sad” or “disappointed” about how people react. That is entirely up to us.

Fred Dutton 15 January, 2013 @ 5:28 pm

Alas Golwar, I’m afraid I can’t really add anything further to this conversation, other than that we’ll do our very best to offer you a great service in 2013 and improve on 2012. Hopefully you’ll like what you see.

Besides that I should probably mentioned that I’m very happy how you handle your job. If everything else at SCEE would be done as well, we’d have barely something to complain.

AeonsDead 15 January, 2013 @ 5:50 pm   117

To be honest, i’d never heard of RetroCityRampage before it started getting all the attention from the PSN faithful, i would probably have never gave it a second look, but after all the ruckus over its release i might be more likely to buy it.

artopand 15 January, 2013 @ 6:34 pm   118

I honestly sympathize with all the frustrated posters and understand your reasons and point of view.

Having said that, abusing the developer by repeating the same posts of “too late, no buy” or “it should be free” when the guy is here to finally announce the game and answer our questions is very poor taste, to say the least.

I think it’s great having this blog where we can communicate directly with developers when they release a new game, please do not ruin it for the rest of us who don’t mind waiting a few months for a new release. Plenty of other games out there, vote with your wallet but don’t abuse developers, especially if it’s an indy game we’re talking about!

Awesome! Great game, can’t wait!

Awesome! Game looks great, can’t wait!

cant wait to get the game

This thread isn’t particularly joy bringing, but I appreciate the developer’s efforts in sticking with it, and genuinely responding to people’s concerns. The game may be delayed, but at least the fixes in the interim have been incorporated. We’re getting the game later, but getting a better game because of it.

Game looks great :)

KiiillRoy 15 January, 2013 @ 10:01 pm   123

Go Go Go Vblank, you are the best. Don’t give up, Retro City Rampage is one of the best game of 2012 and it’s finally here for European Vita owners. I will support till the end !!! (i hope i will win :p )

artofpoland
Its more of a “Mummy, why do you hate me so much, you give your favourite child shiney nice toys, but instead you cement two giant inflatable hollow clowns just inside my bedroom door , why do you promise me sweeties and then just as we are outside the shop run away and not explain where you went or if I am getting sweeties or not.
Then let mean aunties and uncles come and act all high and mighty about why their (product? Idk “cake”?) is amazing, and you HAVE to try it, but only the dry mix, all other ingredients and toppings will cost you , or two new toys, one for your aforementioned brother, and one for your neighbour (months later ofcourse) while mummy just stands there, ignoring and poking you, seeing how long it will take before you run away, whilst leaving you in the incapable hands of child minders who also ignore you, or claim its “someone elses job”.

So in short your attempt at trolling falls flat, and its people like you that will allow SCEE to continue sucking =\

^+ also, RCR was not free initally over there, people are wondering why its still full price (I believe its still the intended RRP, which usually winds up being about 25% more than the Americans RRPs anyway, smeone feel free to correct me or PSM it, but people complain about this every time the store is updated, the Euros and Australians atleast not sure about elsewhere) given the months of delays, complete lack of useful feedback (no “we are working on it” or “Its in QA” or “.” are not helpful comments
No idea what the “improvements” are, or if they are even noticable, but then the game went completely under my radar untill folk started to complain, and now honestly I doubt ill ever get it if its not on PS+, so to the dev, either bite the bullet and go Steam or xbox indie thingimer, or recieve less sales and potential angry rants due to disgruntled customers, whilst it may not be your fault, given SCEEs terribad track record its not surprising if this will not sell nearly as well as it could.

Brian Provinciano 16 January, 2013 @ 3:33 am

Retro City Rampage will cost the same price for PlayStation in Europe that it does for XBLA, North America, Steam and everywhere else, converted to whatever currency you use. I cannot give exact prices because currencies for the SCEE regions vary, but it’s the equivalent to $15 US. NOTE that I actually make LESS money on EVERY EU purchase because I the developer must pay the VAT tax from my portion of the royalties, a tax which players end up having to pay in other parts of the world.

hmm…whilst I would not edit anything out of what Ive already posted, if Fred or someone else from SCEE continues to actually attempt to answer some questions (given the mass repeated questions that remain unanswered, then two guys come along at once and ask if a game is £13 or £13.01) on all of the boards, not just ones that came along that day, or are seen as not supporting indie growth otherwise, then you could well make up a bit for how awful the level of feedback was last year.
Fred, given the volume of complaints why is someone not hired at minimum wage to reply to everyone o_o? Or a feature that lets users vote up a comment, that will make it more likely to be noticed, and have less people repeating the same thing(in practice, yeah they are still gunna post the same thing, but if it were to say “this contains similar keywords to X’s post, does his comment cover yours?” and auto-upvote it on yes then itd be much more streamlined and make finding answers much easier o_O?

Catkiller1 16 January, 2013 @ 11:34 am   127

@ Brian

I understand how much hard work you’ve put into this game & it shows.

My only concern is that the game was delayed on PSN within the EU & the US have had this on sale & free for PLUS members. You offered the game a few days ago for 50% off on STEAM! I’m all for supporting indie developers etc but what about supporting us?

You state above about paying VAT etc but that didn’t bother you when you discounted it by a huge 50% on STEAM etc.

If this was released at a reasonable £7.99 then you would have more sales imo. Releasing the game at the £11.99 price tag is a shame, so I will wait & pick it up later in the year!

Great work though & i’ve always championed this game since it was first announced. I still wouldn’t have picked it up if it released back in October though, as £11.99 is too much.

manlybrown 16 January, 2013 @ 11:59 am   128

I’m getting this today, seriously all the whining above makes me sick.

Cannot wait to play this.

Catkiller1 16 January, 2013 @ 12:02 pm   129

@ manlybrown

Good for you!

I think we have a reason to whine on this occasion, as it feels like a bit of a slap in the face!

manlybrown 16 January, 2013 @ 12:09 pm   130

You get the most complete, bug tested version of the game, its a one man band, indy dev. Not EA.

@Brian Provinciano

i just wanted to say thanks for all the effort you have gone to; to get this game out to us all in the EU i have been looking forwarded to playing this for sometime.

@ the rest of you whiners

stop being cheapskates going on about waiting for it to be free on PS+ if you have been following the progress of this title which i guess you are as your reading this blog then dust you wallets off and get your cash out you and support the developer (singular). this is *one* guy doing all this on his own not a money grabbing EA/Activision shovelling yet another yearly rendition of FIFA/COD down your throat.

you all tirelessly moan about developers not fully supporting the Vita; with a ungrateful user base like this i am not surprised.

Catkiller1 16 January, 2013 @ 12:42 pm   132

All i’ve stated is for it to be cheaper so I can still pay for it. I wasn’t bothered about it being free!

£8.99 is an excellent price & i’ve purchased & added this beauty to my games collection!

I’ve had a look on the website & there is a promotion for 2 music CDs, 5 Download codes for the soundtrack & 5 stickers for just over £10 including postage to the UK! I’ll support that too!

@manlybrown we get the same version as everyone else except theirs was earlier, patched and possibly cheaper. Don’t fall for marketing bull, open your eyes just a little. The game looks good, but this should have come out at least the same time as Xbox and it sounds like, for a time at least, they got it cheaper than us. People talk about supporting devs but I have to earn my own money too, whose supporting me? This reaction was more than expected and will continue to happen as long as customers are treated like fools with wallets to empty.

And I’m not saying the dev in particular is treating us like fools, more the industry

I wonder if the people complaining about people whining actually earn their own money.

manlybrown 16 January, 2013 @ 3:34 pm   136

Adumr82, after reading your post a couple of times I’m a bit confused who you are upset at and at a loss to what your point was, especially when you added that stuff about the industry. Also it is quite clear you haven’t read the developer’s or the community managers responses.

That little snide comment about people that don’t earn their own money can be applied to people that don’t want to pay out too.

I just bought it from EU store
why the game is still Version 1.00 ??!!
shouldn’t it be the latest patched version as you promised ??!!

R_a_z_i_e_l 17 January, 2013 @ 2:46 am   138

Your silly to think the game was improved on during the months it was delayed for EU, they just say that stuff to make you *feel better* about your purchase.

o2SeeKUo 17 January, 2013 @ 9:08 am   139

I can’t seem to find it on the store (Web and Vita). Has it been removed?!

Longview01 17 January, 2013 @ 12:34 pm   140

“one of the things that annoys me most about this generation of consoles is the sheer amount of rubbish old games and retro looking trash that is thrown in our faces, consoles these days are capable of so much more and to me there is no excuse releasing a game like this at that price”

Oh look its one of those gamers who thinks all games should be aimed towards him…just cause you don’t want it doesn’t mean the rest of us don’t as well.

You do not speak for all of us, so kindly get over yourself.

Thanks :)

So it’s $16.95 on the PSN AU store plus no crossbuy with the PS3? That is a really hard sell for me Brian, sorry I’ve waited for this game but at that price and without PS3 crossbuy I can’t justify the cost at the moment.