Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 3:00pm

Introducing Sacred Citadel, a side-scrolling action brawler for PSN

sacred-citadel-all-all-screenshot-014

Hi PlayStation Bloggers, Rupert Ochsner from Deep Silver here! Nice to meet you all! :-)

My role at Deep Silver is Brand Manager for Sacred, which includes both Sacred Citadel as well as the upcoming action RPG Sacred 3.

We have been fans of classic action brawlers for a long time. And it grieved us a little that, in recent years, there has been a lack of quality titles that truly harken back to the golden age of brawlers. Remember the fun you had with this kind of game, especially when playing co-op with your friends? That is exactly what we want to bring back with Sacred Citadel!

We said to ourselves: Let’s create a fresh, sparkling, side-scrolling hack and slash game that not only brings back the joy of the old days, but also sets a new standard for the future of this genre.

So we started to think about a possible setting, and the answer was quickly found. Since we had already taken the first steps into the production of Sacred 3, what better background to use than the rich Sacred fantasy universe?

sacred-citadel-all-all-screenshot-012

Once we had the basic concept of Sacred Citadel in place, we started to look for a suitable developer. The name Southend Interactive came up very early in the process, because they had already done some great things with their titles, and they just love games as much as we do. They immediately shared our vision and earned our trust by developing our concept even further.

The earlier Sacred titles had already created a rich playground as the foundation on which to build our stories, characters, and world. Lord Zane’s Ashen Empire threatens to enslave the once peaceful world of Ancaria. He created an army of Grimmocs and started a war against the Seraphim, protectors of the lands of Ancaria, in order to gain a valuable artifact that will enable him to open the gates of the underworld.

Be sure to look out for story links that will lead to the events in Sacred 3 :-)

But what is Sacred Citadel, exactly? It’s a side-scrolling hack and slash action brawler using a 3D engine with a sophisticated shader.

You will have to fight different opponents that require individual tactics, all staged in a beautiful, colourful art style. Each of the four unique heroes will feel and play differently, having their own combos, special moves, skills, and equipment.

sacred-citadel-all-all-screenshot-005

There will be towns where you can buy new items, plenty of loot to collect, RPG stats to level up, and much, much more. For example, we will have dozens of cool weapon combinations: your character can pick up and hold a different weapon in every hand. Of course you can also ride mounts and even control war machines.

One thing that was also important to us is that you can not only play the game in a local, but also in a seamless online co-op mode.

And while Sacred Citadel offers a lot of depth, we took close care in making the title accessible with a fluent, intuitive gameplay. You’ll get the hang of the mechanics quickly, but there are so many things to dig into that it allows for almost boundless variations of your play style.
We really hope that you guys will enjoy it as much as we do!

Check out more artwork, videos, and screenshots on our official website, or join us on our official Facebook or Twitter pages! Also, look forward to more information about Sacred Citadel here on the PlayStation Blog. The game is planned to be released in the first half of 2013.

For now, thanks for your interest in Sacred Citadel, and feel free to ask us plenty of questions below, we are looking forward to answering them!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

35 Comments 6 Author replies
Show oldest first
Maurice Tan 17 January, 2013 @ 3:02 pm   1

Hi everybody! I’ll be here to answer as many questions as I can about Sacred Citadel. RPG elements? Combat mechanics? Co-op? Fire away!

this looks v.good think i will get this one can it be played on the vita and any idea of a price yet thanx

Looks great, is there a Vita version planned?

P.S I loved Sacred 2!

Looks nice, will there be a vita version?

Awesome!
Is a Vita version available?

Maurice Tan 17 January, 2013 @ 3:18 pm   6

No Vita version is planned I’m afraid. I think it wiould look good on Vita’s screen, but you would also miss out on the chance to play it in local co-op on a big screen.

First of all, the colours look great. Hope it’ll have a great gameplay too but yeah, what do you think of Vita generally?

It would be a day-1 buy for me if it’ll be out for Vita.

Maurice Tan 17 January, 2013 @ 3:28 pm

So there is no Vita version in the works.

But generally? I love my Vita as a gadget, although for some reason I always keep forgetting to play on it. Mostly because I don’t travel that long every day to really get into a game, or there is always so much internet to distract me when I have spare time! I’m ashamed to say I still need to finish Uncharted and Gravity Rush. And Ogre Tactics. One day! *shakes fist*

Carnivius_Prime 17 January, 2013 @ 3:20 pm   8

I’ll check it out. Side-scrolling brawlers are one of my fave game types but for modern versions only Double Dragon Neon has come anywhere near giving me the same sense of fun of the classic ones (Scott Pilgrim and Castle Crashers left me cold). I still regularly play and enjoy the classics that got re-released onto PlayStation Network such as Final Fight, The Simpsons and Streets of Rage 2. And hoping that Capcom see sense and bring us The Punisher, Alien vs Predator, Battle Circuit and other such great arcade games.

Online co-op is a definite bonus. I’m still waiting for DDN to get it’s supposed online patch so I can play it the way it was meant to be (I have no local gamer friends). Anyways I need to play it before I buy it. These types of games need a sense of satisfaction of killing each of those many, many enemies. Needs to be fun to control, feel right and put a huge smile on my face as I take the bad guys down.

Maurice Tan 17 January, 2013 @ 3:42 pm

The last couple of years it’s been cool to see these kind of games get back into focus thanks to PSN. Or even just arcade games that really scream co-op. I never really understood why some games only have local or online co-op (I’m sure development time etc. plays a large role in that), but I’m glad Sacred Citadel has both.

If you like killing a lot of enemies, you’re in for a treat ;). But you’ll also have to use skill to dodge out of the way if you have a character that isn’t as melee-focused. It’s accessible enough to pick up and play, but you will probably want to try out some combos and master all of the controls.

Looks and sounds good, shame there is no vita version as this is getting more time than my ps3 at the mo.
Will keep and eye out for this though.

Hmm Shame that… Definately a game i would love to play on the go. It would have looked amazing on the Vita screen as well

jin_kazama56 17 January, 2013 @ 3:31 pm   11

Sold! love games like these! is co-op local, online?. Game looks like it has alot to it aswell hope we here a release date soon :)

SC looks great, look like a purchase to me.

Any chance of bringing Secret Files Trilogy for PS3?

*to PS3?

cloudwc-uk 17 January, 2013 @ 3:51 pm   14

VITA version Please!!!
Are there any similar Side-scrolling games on VITA?

CoolRichy008UK 17 January, 2013 @ 3:54 pm   15

oooh nice i might get itt & THIS INT COMING 2 vita & no onder sony lost money they should stop the vita versions of ps3 games thats wer they loze money i had a vita for 2 weeks and hated it so i smashed it up ^^

Maurice Tan 17 January, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

Smashing your Vita sounds a bit like a waste of money to me. Perhaps you could’ve traded it for money to spend on PS3 games instead? :)

bennyrafal 17 January, 2013 @ 4:58 pm   16

sidescrollers…ehhh those times when i was in school, had plenty of time to master games, ARCADES and fist full of coins… good times…

cowbanana 17 January, 2013 @ 5:58 pm   17

I would buy this… for my Vita. Seems like a perfect fit for a portable. (not interested in local coop in any case).

I’m not really interested in buying/playing it on my PS3 as I have tons of games in my PS3 backlog and this would just get added to the end of a huge list, as a low priority.

Vita or bust.

Maurice Tan 17 January, 2013 @ 5:59 pm   18

I have to head out for about an hour, but once I get home I will continue answering your questions for the next couple of hours!

SKIBADEE187 17 January, 2013 @ 7:33 pm   19

like the look of it will buy it. but Vita version would be great as well.

Maurice Tan 17 January, 2013 @ 8:29 pm   20

I don’t think anyone will mind if I give you some more juicy details on the combat in Sacred Citadel.

Like most games in the genre, you will have your light attacks, heavy attacks, special “power attacks” and jump buttons. You can chain combos, like for instance “[Square], [Square], [Square], [Triangle]” to do a “light, light, light, heavy finisher” combo.

What sets Sacred Citadel apart is that you can direct your finisher for different effects. End a combo with forward+[Triangle] and you will knock back enemies in range (with the range depending on the weapon). End it with down+[Triangle] and you do an area-of-effect stun. Back+[Triangle] lets you end a chain by attacking anything that happened to approach you from behind. And Up+[Triangle] lets you do an uppercut to juggle enemies in the air.

Basically you can choose to just mash away and have simple fun, OR dive into the combo system to turn your enemies into toys. Skill is rewarded, and a skilled team can turn any screen of enemies into a playground.

dirtyCAT79 18 January, 2013 @ 6:58 am   21

I was all excited about this until I read that there is no vita version. That’s a no buy from me too.

This type of game is exactly what we need on the vita. The very fact that devs aren’t even considering putting a game like this on the Vita is very telling.

Sad face

The game looks great, I love the art style, but I have to join the rest of the bunch here. I think that every Vita owner would get this game on the handheld rather than on a PS3. This type of games just suits handhelds better. When I play PS3 I’m more into regular AAA games, while I’m more keen on playing such games on my Vita. Don’t know why, but that’s the way it is :)

will this come to australia and new zealand?

Maurice Tan 19 January, 2013 @ 11:00 pm

It’s planned as a global release for all PSN Stores, so I don’t see why not!

late but broblems psn keept me away

not intrested
but huge intrested in sacred 3 ( i hope beter long vieuw then sacred 2) vieuw distance + loading time on pc = top console = bof
rest on consoles = good

Maurice Tan 19 January, 2013 @ 11:03 pm   25

For the Vita-only fans: do you play within range of your PS3 or do you usually play outside of the house? Just trying to gauge how many people would use remote-play :)

To tell the truth, most of the time I play my Vita at home. Just lying in my bed and chillin’ ;) So within the range of PS3, which is in the living room. Releasing a patch that would let us play the game on Vita within the Wi-Fi network of the PS3 would be an interesting idea.

Stonesthrow 20 January, 2013 @ 6:38 am   27

Looks ok. Like the bg’s ^^

cowbanana 20 January, 2013 @ 9:05 am   28

I usually play my Vita in range of my PS3. I like the portability when I take a weekend trip somewhere, go on holiday etc., but the majority of time I use my Vita is spent in the house, on the couch, on the bed etc.

Remote Play would be a nice option, though the image quality is a little soft. Other than that my experience with Remote Play has been really good. I played some Tokyo Jungle and I didn’t get any lag or noticeable input lag. It worked better than expected.

Looking forward to this and Sacred3 and might just Sacred2 Gold edition while waiting.

Too bad that I couldn’t sing up to post questions since PSN was down. The Downtime probably lowered the amount of questions by fair ammount.

I have always liked the more technology oriented Characters in Sacred series (Dwarf and Temple guardian) I am hoping the Sacred3 and possibly Citadel will provide some ways to break out from the more general fantasy weaponry and skills by offering more technology oriented skills, classes or weapons.

This would have been a day one purchase on Vita, not interested at all for ps3 though. Too much competition with other excellent games.

I thought developers would have learned this attitude is incredibly wrong and short sighted after seeing the brilliant success Just Add Water is having on Vita, selling more than on ps3.

I hope you announce this will be released on the Vita too but so far the developers attitude has been quite poor. I would be concerned with buying anything from a company that dismiss a fantastic handheld so readily.

Maurice, I would be concerned about lag for a fast paced game such as this via remote play. If I was you I would get working on porting as soon as possible – Sony may help with costs if this is moved to a Vita exclusive?

Local Co-Op isn’t a feature that many would be bothered about in this online age I’m willing to bet. Sorry for all the posts. The game looks great it’s just a real shame you have picked the wrong system to release it on as 95% of feedback is people saying ‘no vita, no interested’ and the other 5% saying they MIGHT buy this on ps3 but would prefer a Vita version. Where are the PS3 fans excited about this game on a home console?

Maurice – have you found the reaction here to be very surprising or shocking? Is it different to what you expected? I would be very interested to find out.

@aros2011

The game is coming for PS3, X360 and PC. Porting game to that many platforms isn’t as simple as push of a button as there’s plenty of platform specific stuff to do and test for all versions.

You don’t just add the Vita version to the mix especially if you don’t have the money, time, experience or manpower to do so at the time.

I understand they probably have gone too far to develop for Vita at this stage but it is pretty surprising how negative the reaction has been toward this game for the fact that it is console only, no?

Unicronic 23 January, 2013 @ 1:16 am   35

Well Sacred 2 was a great game, although this isn’t the same kind I’ll be keeping my eye on it.