Posted 7:30pm

The Last of Us: Joel Edition and Ellie Edition announced!

The Last of US

As you know, The Last of Us is coming to PAL regions on 7th May, 2013. The game centres around two key characters, Joel and Ellie, and their journey across a post-pandemic United States.

To celebrate these very special characters we’re delighted to announce The Last of Us: Ellie Edition and The Last of Us: Joel Edition – two special editions of the game exclusive to PAL regions.

Packaged in a tactile canvas wrap, the contents of The Last of Us: Ellie Edition and The Last of Us: Joel Edition should get any collector’s heart racing. Dark Horse teamed up with Naughty Dog to produce The Art of The Last of Us, a mini artbook filled with the remarkable artwork that gave shape to the game, as well as The Last of Us: American Dreams Issue #1, which is the first in a series of comic books that explores the backstory of Ellie. This mini version included in each of the special editions features a variant cover found only in these two products.

TLOU-SPECIAL-EDITION-RANGE-SHOT-JOEL

Both editions are completely themed to that character, with artwork representing each on the premium outer and inner packaging. A screen print effect poster of each can also be found in their respective editions as well as a Dualshock 3 skin branded with Joel or Ellie, depending on which edition you decide to order.

TLOU-SPECIAL-EDITION-RANGE-SHOT-ELLIE

You can also express your admiration for your favorite The Last of Us characters in LittleBigPlanet as the respective editions will have voucher codes for a downloadable Joel costume or a downloadable Ellie costume for Sackboy.

Both editions are also loaded with The Last of Us downloadable content in the forms of two DLC packs:

Survival DLC Pack

Multiplayer bonuses:

• Bonus XP
  • Melee booster
  • In-game currency
  • Customisable character items

Bonus Joel and Ellie skins available once the single player game is completed

Sights & Sounds DLC Pack

• Official game soundtrack by Academy Award-winning musician Gustavo Santaolalla
  • PS3 Dynamic Theme
  • PSN avatars: Winter Joel & Ellie

Both Special Editions, The Last of Us: Ellie Edition or The Last of Us: Joel Edition, are available for pre-order now at your local participating retailer or online for £59.99/€79.99/AU$114.95. Pre-order today and find out more at www.thelastofus.com.

Finally, for those of you that haven’t seen it already, check out the stunning story trailer for The Last of Us below.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

84 Comments 6 Author replies
Show oldest first

Artemisthemp 22 January, 2013 @ 7:33 pm   1

Shopto.net have Joel Edition, so guess I will have to look on ebay to get Ellia LBP costume.

Unless a 2 Survivor edition get released

what will the game be kept in? is it a cardboard case, steelbook or standard amaray case?

Jacko_the_lad 22 January, 2013 @ 7:38 pm   3

I don’t usually bother with special editions but this one looks awesome!

I’m tempted. :D

andrewsqual 22 January, 2013 @ 7:40 pm   4

Gamestop Ireland will be doing the Ellie Edition :) (Its just not up on their website yet)

andrewsqual 22 January, 2013 @ 7:41 pm   5

Gamestop Ireland will be doing the Ellie Edition

dark_angel69 22 January, 2013 @ 7:44 pm   6

Finally some news on collector editions :D I’m going for Joel Edition

So everything is the same between the two apart from the front cover? Even the comic book is the same?

It would been nice if there was a big poster of both together so I could stick it up my wall

Eric Monacelli 22 January, 2013 @ 11:16 pm

The content will be themed Joel or Ellie depending on what edition you buy. The comic book and art book interiors won’t be any different.

K_for_Vendetta 22 January, 2013 @ 7:52 pm   7

we want post pandemic edition.

why this edition is only for nord american market??

Eric Monacelli 22 January, 2013 @ 11:12 pm

There might be opportunities for you to nab some of the contents of the Post-Pandemic edition via events and other promos.

DougalDogg 22 January, 2013 @ 7:52 pm   8

Hmmm this is a bit threadbare compared to the US special editions just announced.

I’d much prefer a proper artbook than the flimsy mini ones offered and the US is getting a Steelbook as well.

Jacko_the_lad 22 January, 2013 @ 7:53 pm   9

No dark_angel, the controller skins and LBP costumes are different. :P

Handige_Harry 22 January, 2013 @ 7:53 pm   10

So No Love For Europe Right? Like always..? or am i missing someting?

dark_angel69 22 January, 2013 @ 7:58 pm   11

OMG never mind the Joel edition. I want that post pandemic edition instead!! Why do american always get the better stuff :(

Jamesyp00 22 January, 2013 @ 8:01 pm   12

How come we get no statue edition, or full proper artbook edition?
The joel and ellie ones are cool and all, but i’d love a full sized artbook :/

deadman578 22 January, 2013 @ 8:10 pm   13

Love that the comments here want the US edition and the comments on the US blog want the Europe edition.

I will probably just get the normal version, but can’t wait for the game!

How much is this going to cost?

MP_is_for_Chumps 22 January, 2013 @ 8:18 pm   15

What happened to the STEELBOOK ???

Please say this an error and EU is getting steelbook editions like US.

I’ve put in a pre-order for the Joel edition already and can’t wait for the release date, but eyeing up the US Special Edition does make me more than a little envious. Pay just $20 more over there and you get the full artbook, and a very nice looking steelbook! The special editions here are decent, but the mini artbook instead feels like a bit of a slap in the face.

Was there not any way of releasing that edition over here in Europe? I’m sure there’d be more than enough interest!

Cookieter 22 January, 2013 @ 8:37 pm   17

Getting the Joel Edition! I’m happy Europe Get’s something better then USA. In my Opinion that is! :) I Love you naughtydog!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cookieter 22 January, 2013 @ 8:43 pm   18

Hey? it saids it’s a bluray disk, does that mean it’s not the steel box? :(
It looks like the steelbox but it doesn’t say it is.. i’m comfused..
Still looks better then the originall though! :)

Tru_Gam3r_89 22 January, 2013 @ 8:53 pm   19

The Ellie Edition shall be mine MUHAHAHAHAAA….Too much?:P

Strangeheaven 22 January, 2013 @ 8:53 pm   20

The Art Of The Last Of Us Hardcover Art Book is on Amazon UK for pre-order priced £29.99, release date 3rd July 2013.

Bit expensive. Is it really worth it?

Strangeheaven 22 January, 2013 @ 8:57 pm   22

It’s the full size Artbook, but hopefully may come down near release date im guessing.

This is the first game I might pre-order – normally I’m patient and wait for sales, but… better start saving for this! :D

Strangeheaven 22 January, 2013 @ 9:04 pm   24

I hope we get the steelbook for this game.Because all it states is a blu ray disc, Ummm could come in a paper sleeve, lol only joking.

Robsonmonkey 22 January, 2013 @ 9:09 pm   25

WHAT THE HELL ND

Where is the post pandemic edition….come on man you know for a fine fact the PS3 is bigger and sells more in Europe.

Why is the post pandemic edition not available for the UK at least, that’s not fair.

I mean you’ve even spilt the Joel and Ellie editions, why not just have a Joel and Ellie edition together with the figure and steelbook

How could you do this to us ND, the Uncharted 3 explorer edition did really well.

Please, please please reconsider…there’s still time

Eric Monacelli 22 January, 2013 @ 11:22 pm

super-james12345 22 January, 2013 @ 9:31 pm   26

Hey Naughty Dog. I’m loving the style of both versions but I can’t help feel that Europe have been cheated on the chance for those fantastic editions that USA get like the Post Pandemic Edition. Like the artwork book USA get seems to look much better than Europe one and they get the chance to buy an edition with a statue! How come Europe don’t get those versions?

Adie_Stone 22 January, 2013 @ 9:49 pm   27

I have no idea why people want the Post Pandemic more than these editions.
Well, I’m guessing for the statue.

Other than that these editions are much better.

$25 in Australia tax, how about I just order it from the UK instead of Australia then…

Everything about these collector editions look amazing, I wish there was a physical copy of the soundtrack offered instead though!

But still a great deal.

Will there be a post pandemic edition offered in the EU?

I’m very interested in that one because of the steelbook edition of the game as well as the bigger art book.

fireburn95 22 January, 2013 @ 10:20 pm   30

£59.99 is an excellent price considering you’re getting the game and controller (plus artbook and other stuff)

is there any possibility you can sell the statue that NA are getting seperately on your website shipped or something? Would love to add it to my nathan drake and jak/crash statues. I wouldn’t want to buy it over ebay cause i wanna support the developers.

Either way extremely excited

Jacko_the_lad 22 January, 2013 @ 10:21 pm   31

I agree with Adie.

These editions look much better than what the US is getting. It’s only a statue.

@fireburn
Theres no controller, its a sticker to go on dual shock… :/

I have my all LBP games imported from US, so I can’t use Ellie or Joel bonus costume? I can’t choose between them, both are good!

any chance for Post Pandemic edition or other collector’s edition for EU?

CoolRichy008UK 22 January, 2013 @ 11:01 pm   34

if you want the dlc for this game wait a few months they will add it to psn store and add the game to the ps store

no onder blockbusters & HMV colapsed its because online game buying is now the norm you can either buy it from online disk form ebay amazon etc or from ps store the same day its coool :D

fireburn95 and with that money £59.99 i could get loads of pc games for free well demo’s lol

Robsonmonkey 22 January, 2013 @ 11:16 pm   35

@Adie…we just do. We want the Steelbook and the statue

They always get stuff better then us

Come on SCEE….Naughtydog said it was up to YOU GUYS what their region got in the CE. So what the hell happened

Can you give us an answer, you wonder why people say SCEE always ignore us

CardcaptorStacey 22 January, 2013 @ 11:29 pm   36

Anyone know who is stocking the Ellie edition?

xllkaboomllx 22 January, 2013 @ 11:35 pm   37

What is a Screen Print Effect Poster?,is that a big poster?.

I am severely disappointed with these Collectors Editions.

I buy games and if they come with a colletors editions I usually buy them. I do with 95% for the time.

I will be getting the normal edition for this game and I am sad to say that. I would have loved the Post-Pandemic Edition and I would have gladly shelled out for it. I have 6 collector editions on pre-order so far and I was waiting for this one. Pity you dropped the ball on this one.

not even a steelbook? we only have mini version of both artbook and comic as well? AU sucks. $114.95 is way too expensive.

Robsonmonkey 23 January, 2013 @ 12:36 am   40

“Many factors come into play when making these editions. There might be opportunities for everyone to get the contents of the editions in other countries via promos and contests in the future.”

BULL…Crap

What many factors are we talking about here, your supposed to inform us on things and yet you just seem to worm your way round the questions.

Naughtydog…the big guys said that YOU GUYS get to make the choices so why didn’t you just do what SCEA we’re doing.

Not even a steelbook, a small art book and no statue why the hell would you go for that. It’s like you don’t give a crap and it’s insulting that us ND fans won’t be able to get our hands on the best edition now.

Promo’s and contests…..AND

We want to pre order the game now, we want to BUY the game not compete for one.

Time to pull your finger out SCEE, you can see the comments that we want this so get cracking…you have until May. All you have to do is get more copies of the America edition made and sell them to Play.com, Zavvi or Amazon.

Dudley0Neill 23 January, 2013 @ 12:39 am   41

No steel book. No Full size Art book. No full size comic. No sale.

I am sorry, but what am I supposed to do with a canvas wrap?? I can not slip it in next to all my other games on my shelf. It is just a pointless waste. Terrible marketing.

Strangeheaven 23 January, 2013 @ 1:28 am   42

@Robsonmonkey I agree what you say, a pandemic collectors edition for europe, sony should release this in europe being the bigger market then america for ps3. What they should of done was go one better for the european version and include as follows,

The Last Of Us Steelbook
The Statue of Ellie & Joel
The Art Of The Last Of Us Full size Hardcover Artbook, which is on pre-order on Amazon UK.

Bumblebee 23 January, 2013 @ 1:50 am   43

Agree with the other people complaining…

Post-Pandemic Edition for Europe, or GTFO!

Personally I’m a huge fan of collectible figures with my editions, and I love steelbooks. These Joel/Ellie Editions are NOTHING compared to that amazing US edition.

What a shame we’re getting looked over AGAIN.

Why do you hate us SCEE, what we git are total crap editions compared to US.

Do you not realise this leaves a bitter taste in fans mouths? People do not like to feel they are missing out, and yes, we are before an excuse about ‘least we got something’. We get crap in comparison.

Last of Us is now a bargain bin buy or a rental, I would have bought a Post-Pandemic Edition day 1…

- Steelbook
- Statue
- Full artbook etc

You have time to fix this, FIX IT. Don’t soil this games release.

Robsonmonkey 23 January, 2013 @ 3:02 am   45

“You have time to fix this, FIX IT. Don’t soil this games release.”

So true KylieDog…they have time to fix it

Even if it’s a limited number of copies

As I’ve said you have Amazon, Play.com, Zavvi, Gamestop UK, maybe HMV since thye’ve sorted themselfs out now

Keep complaining people, they’ll have to listen to us sometime, they have untill May….4 months away.

Fix this SCEE

Not Post-Pandemic Édition for Europe?

Seriously SCEE messes us !?

I want to be able to buy it, not participate has a concour to have a chance on one millions…

i do not caire box + extra´s are stupid , onli not sel 69, ore 69+ €

i only wil buy when normal edition 59 € more = keep ith

Ishan_The_King 23 January, 2013 @ 8:13 am   49

The content is unique, will be looking forward this.

Hrimgrimnir 23 January, 2013 @ 9:21 am   50

Thanks for treating us like second class customers again

uk-kurorai 23 January, 2013 @ 9:34 am   51

Thanks ND. Just pre-ordered the Ellie Edition. NA editions are nice as well. Thanks for having designed the special editions as you weren’t quite sure whether there will be any special editions at all in your last post.

Shadow_Dancer 23 January, 2013 @ 9:55 am   52

Great, North America gets a statue and we get LBP DLC. What a bargain!! Fire your marketing team and give us the Post-Pandemic version!!!!

Catkiller1 23 January, 2013 @ 9:59 am   53

I just want the game, not really bothered about the Collectors items especially for the price!

Bumblebee 23 January, 2013 @ 10:34 am   54

These better not be cardboard digipacks. As a collector, there’s nothing I HATE more than cardboard cases for games.

Also, “canvas wrap”… Erm, why are we supposed to get excited over this?

America: Impressive statue of Ellie & Joel

Europe: Comes in a bit of cloth.

That last sentence could also be said about whoever thought these Special Editions were “Special”. If you get my drift.

Poor, poor, poor show. I don’t know what to do now. This has gone from a “must-buy game” to “I don’t want to get an edition I will always look at as inferior and so I will probably not make a decision and will never end up buying it”.

Very, very poor show. Why does NOBODY do any customer research any more?

As a collector I’m very disappointed.

If the game is awesome (lets face it, it’s gunna be awesome!) I might have to get both :P

Huono_peleis 23 January, 2013 @ 11:03 am   56

80€ :D

Sony is getting creedier and more desperate than ever.

Silver-Seraphim 23 January, 2013 @ 11:03 am   57

Meh I’ll just get the full size artbook separately and the normal edition, I’m sick of companies giving out mini artbooks with hardly any pages. If I have to pay more I expect a full artbook especially if another country is getting it.

We complain about not getting one edition and the US would like our edition more.

dark_angel69 23 January, 2013 @ 11:27 am   59

@Lucreto
It’s because we all want something we cant get

Griever_Zero 23 January, 2013 @ 11:33 am   60

I preordered the Joel Edition,

But after seeing the US vers. I starting to think about settle with the standard edition instead, the only thing I want in this is the soundtrack and the art book… but its a mini book………

Save money or not? Hmmmmm…..

dark_angel69 23 January, 2013 @ 12:03 pm   61

Here guys,

If you want the Ellie Edition click here:

If you want the Joel Edition click here:

If you know any other retailers, feel free to add in them.

Bumblebee 23 January, 2013 @ 12:07 pm   62

The Ellie edition is a Game exclusive.

From what I can tell, the game box is cardboard.

RUBBISH. I hate cardboard game boxes.

HATE THEM!

Please please PLEASE change this to a steelbook.

Cardboard cases are HORRIBLE.

This is such a lame collector’s edition for what was one of my most anticipated games.

My dilemma now, as a collector is:

- Do I plump for the Joel edition? I’d be disappointed with a cardboard case.
- Do I plump for the Ellie edition? I’d be disappointed with a cardboard case.
- Do I save the eternal frustration of keeping a cardboard case safe and plump for the standard edition? I’d always regret (as a collector) not bothering with the collector’s edition.
- Do I not bother with ANY of the above because I will always know that I’d have been much happier with the Post-Pandemic edition, which is not worth getting as I won’t be able to use EU DLC for it.

This is a terrible miscalculation.

MattUK0891 23 January, 2013 @ 12:24 pm   63

Sony what are you playing at. I want the Pandemic edition for UK. Where can I preorder the Joel edition for though. Anybody know the website?

dark_angel69 23 January, 2013 @ 12:30 pm   64

@MattUK0891
Shopto.net sells it. I have links posted for both version just before Bumblebee but is awaiting moderation

Jacko_the_lad 23 January, 2013 @ 12:45 pm   65

Wow.

Are people really going crazy over a statue?

TINTINTB303 23 January, 2013 @ 12:53 pm   66

I just want the game (disk in a box) so I can play this great looking adventure. :-)

May 7th seems miles off at the moment but I’m sure the time will fly by! :-D

If everyone is that bothered, import it.

You can use the DLC if you have a US account on your PS3.

Personally I may not bother with this game anyway, it looks like a step down from Uncharted and I’m much more impressed with the likes of Watch Dogs and even Tomb Raider. Rather play them than a game in the overdone zombie/mutant genre.

Jamesyp00 23 January, 2013 @ 1:24 pm   68

Just feel a bit gyped in missing out on a proper full size comic and artbook, But we’ll have “oppertunities” to get them, that’s not everyone having a fair chance at pre-ordering naughty dog, way to screw us over.

hal_emrich 23 January, 2013 @ 1:57 pm   69

@MattUK0891: I could pre order both, the Joel and Ellie edition, on amazon.de. Don’t know it isn’t available on co.uk. yet.

I don’t get why these (or any European) editions don’t include the steelbook. This would be the main reason for me to order a special edition. I don’t need stickers or LBP DLC!

cthulhu85 23 January, 2013 @ 2:29 pm   70

Actually I’m kinda happy that part of EU doesn’t get the US Collectors Edition, cause based on earlier releases (Uncharted, Infamous 2 etc.) they never get officially released in Norway anyway. I did manage to get Infamous 2 collectors edition from UK, but importing them costs a lot. So atleast now there’s not that temptation since I don’t feel like creating a US PSN account to obtain the DLC.
And to be fair, apart from the statue missing, there’s lots of stuff in this edition.

galaxy_man08 23 January, 2013 @ 3:27 pm   71

So where on the ps store do you pre order ??? I cant find it

Mesmerised 23 January, 2013 @ 5:10 pm   72

Wow we got ripped! I would’ve snapped up both of those US editions had they been announced here. No good Sony. As someone else said our editions don’t include the steelbook or figurine?

Come on guys…no Post-Pandemic Edition for Europe???? Why not??? And we got the mini artbook instead of the big one americans will get?? Come on!! It’s just unfair….

calcunnon 24 January, 2013 @ 1:36 pm   74

With regards to the “Mini” art book and “Mini” comic, does that mean the height and width are smaller, or that there are just less pages in them?

andrewsqual 24 January, 2013 @ 7:23 pm   75

Just found out that Gamestop.co.uk and Gamestop.ie are going to be doing the Joel and Ellie statue on its own and be around 70-90 euros. So the Ellie or Joel Edition and the statue separate is about the same price as the US Pandemic Edition.

Robsonmonkey 25 January, 2013 @ 3:12 am   76

REALLY

Oh so that’s there plan, just like the LittleBigPlanet 2 CE, making us pay for the items separately so we pay more in the end

We pay for the Joel and Ellie edition and the statue for what £65 roughly thats

£54.00 + £65.00 = £119 PLUS we don’t get the Bigger artbook or the bigger comic.

In the end were paying more for less

I’m with the majority on this, it is a really stupid way of making a Collector’s edition. All fans should get the same collector’s edition worldwide, if there is a limited amount of quantity then Naughty Dog should sell it on their own site not these retailer sites where it is exclusive to one store, it should be sold so that all fans of the game worldwide can purchase it. The US only steelbook case is getting annoying now to be honest… First with Ni no Kuni Wizard’s Edition where the US get the same edition but also get extras that the EU don’t get and they also get the steelbook as a pre-order bonus because Gamestop US want the exclusive rights… and now the EU are getting screwed again with The Last of US editions… at least The Last of US will come out the same day worldwide. If there isn’t going be any other editions announced before the release, I’ll probably get the Joel Edition.

Anyway the game will still be as good as any edition but the EU fans should be treated the same as the US fans because it’s getting really insulting.

sack your marketing team Sony Europe. Im tired of cheap, seconf rate and overpriced collectors editions. At least SCEA has some imagination.

whoismilan 25 January, 2013 @ 1:58 pm   79

“I had a real revelation. We were all in robes, and they made some Turkish coffee for us. The professor explained how the coffee was made very different from anywhere else, and I realized, “So (CENSORED) what?” Which kids even in Turkey give a (CENSORED) about Turkish coffee? All day I had looked at young people in Istanbul. They were all drinking what every other kid in the world drinks, and they were wearing clothes that look like they were bought at the Gap, and they are all using cell phones. They were like kids everywhere else. It hit me that, for young people, this whole world is the same now. When we’re making products, there is no such thing as a Turkish phone, or a music player that young people in Turkey would want that’s different from one young people elsewhere would want. We’re just one world now.”

- Steve Jobs, from the biography written by Walter Isaacson.
I think that Sony has a lot to learn from this.

As we’ve been telling you for years, we don’t want “EU versions” of anything. We don’t want EU bundles, EU promotions, EU sales, EU prices, or EU anything else. We want you to figure out what the best thing you can offer is, and then offer that to everyone.

Stonesthrow 26 January, 2013 @ 12:08 pm   80

All these different editions, it’s getting kind of confusing keeping them all apart.. I’m getting the survival pack for pre ordering, although I’d rather have the sights and sounds pack.. Might get one of those different editions depending on how much more expensive they are.

Hey guys.
Please answer this.

Does the mini art-book contain all the 170 pages that the full sized art-book does?

Nevermind, ordered the US survival edition instead.

minimur12 28 January, 2013 @ 9:10 pm   83

how big is the poster? A4 or A3 ??

kamran-96 31 January, 2013 @ 5:13 pm   84

So it looks like the EU get the Bone while the US get the Meat….AGAIN!
I love collecting statues so when I find out that my second most anticipated game this year gets one I was jumping for joy, but then only to realise its a US EXCLUSIVE.
To be honest I might just ship the Post Pandemic Edition, but guys I must ask,I know that I can use the DLC if I redeem it with a US account but does that mean I can then use it with my normal UK account?(This includes the Multiplayer DLC too) ,and don’t our games have to be PAL or something or is that the PS2 days?
I’m only asking coz I have NEVER shipped a US Exclusive before.
Also, do you guys think its worth me doing this for a Statue and Steelbook or should I just get the Joel edition?
Thanks for the help in advance!