Posted 9:00am

Weekend Debate: Your proudest gaming achievement (update)

thin Blog-banner-weekend-debate

UPDATE: Thank you all very much for contributing again – as ever it made for very enjoyable reading over the weekend. Our winners this week: RatchetBoy10 (post 18), artopand (post 61), bluspykz (post 67), Menorkamer (post 119) and slyguy21 (post 121). Congratulations – we’ll send a PM to your account on the official forums to arrange delivery of your copy of Dead or Alive 5.

ORIGINAL POST: Under the not-entirely-unpleasant assumption that I’ll be snowed-in this weekend, you can expect to find me glued to the sofa slowly inching towards Far Cry 3′s Platinum trophy. I expect many of you who reside here in frigid Northern Europe may well be following my lead and be taking advantage of the inclement weather to do a little bit of trophy hunting.

So, with that in mind, your debate topic this week:

What is your proudest achievement in gaming?

This could of course mean the toughest trophy you’ve secured, but equally it could be something more abstract. Playing through the entire Final Fantasy series in one sitting, without pausing for a loo break, perhaps?

The five most entertaining or enlightening posts, as decided by our panel of judges, will win a copy of Team Ninja’s top-drawer beat ‘em up Dead or Alive 5 – to celebrate the impending PS Vita version, as revealed earlier this week. Good luck!

Dead or Alive 5+ for PS Vita

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

174 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

My proudest achievement in gaming would have to be the first time I made it into the Hall of Fame in Pokemon Blue.

Seeing my Pokemon standing either side of me in the Hall of Fame picture was a very swelling feeling for me as a child.

Second to that would be unlocking the tuxedo in Metal Gear Solid, I loved that game so much as a kid. Still do.

moriarty1975 18 January, 2013 @ 5:19 pm   2

What is your proudest achievement in gaming?

Well the most recent one was remembering to sign-in before the PSN maintenance started! ;)

MY proudest gaming achievements have been:

Getting all 6 Ratchet and Clank Platinum trophies.
Getting all 5 God of War Platinum trophies.
My Metal Gear Solid 2 Platinum.
Having a save file on my PS3 of a 100% Completed Final Fantasy VII & IX
My PS Account in General and of course my Vita and PS3!

almighty-slayer 18 January, 2013 @ 5:26 pm   4

I’m going to take that to mean trophies.

My single proudest trophy has to be the Mirror’s Edge platinum. It’s a tough one, but more than that, it’s one that requires you to know the game absolutely back to back. Some of those speedruns are glorious in that if you make a single mistake or fail to cut a single corner, you would have to start the entire run again. It took many practice runs, much deliberation of where to cut time, and many many fails, but when i finally got that trophy, it was amazing. Go me!

Also, i platinumed the entire Ratchet and Clank HD collection in less than 7 days. Although maybe that’s more “completely sad”. I played them a lot on PS2 so i already knew how and where to do everything. Managed the Ratchet and Clank 3 platinum in less than 2 days.

my achievement would have to be play metal gear solid bk on ps1. pkay all 3 versions Japanese. then us version the eu and everyone was didnt. Thats wen we played games for fun and not trophies. But trophies are brill as I played games I never would we all need trophies in our games just wished they do a patch for heavenly sword as that game is so amazing even now after 6 yrs. hope everyone has a great weekend

sorry I meant to say different not didnt. every mgs1 was different

Of all time? That’s easy, years ago I got myself a job working for Sega in their testing department, this was back in the days of the Dreamcast (I never owned one myself as I was a fan of a certain Sony Console at the time.)

It was our job to find bugs in games prior to their release so that they could be fixed before the final discs were pressed, I was given the task of playing the awful Ecco the Dolphin (I know some people like it, but I couldn’t stand it.) I consider it a service to my Country and to Gaming in general that I found a bug 2 days before the game was released which caused a delay on the UK launch of that terrible game.

That’s right, it was me, You’re Welcome!

My proudest gaming moment was actually done back in the day playing Tomb Raider 1 on the PS1, I played the entire game in 1 sitting from start to finish without saving the game once and, obviously without dying at all. I miss that game, keep meaning to buy it off PSN and will get round to it eventually I guess. Not the hardest game in the world but quite tricky on the later levels where it is very easy to die if you don’t know what to do, or forget to grab a ledge.

declan__watson 18 January, 2013 @ 6:08 pm   9

Hey Fred
Great debate option, im also very excited for the blog recap.

Anyway my greatest achivment was winning my first ever trophie onInfamous 2 on Christmas morning and continuing that great success with 291 more trophies.
Ill never forget that morning, such a rememboral day. :)
I hope you have a lovely weekend Fred, ill douvle back on Monday to check your replys. ;)

Happy Weekend of Gaming ;) LongLivePlay

Dante_Zero 18 January, 2013 @ 6:09 pm   10

I looked at this and i still have no idea where to start due to the thousands of games i’ve played since PSOne first launch. In that time i can safely say there have been hundreds of gaming moments i’ve been proud of like doing absolutely everything possible on Final Fantasy VII ,beating MGS 2 8hrs after first loading it up and getting the plat on Uncharted 2 before the game even released in the UK. Those are just some things i can be proud of but for the sake of making a point i’m going to focus on PS3/PSVita and trophies. There have been several miles stones i can be proud of along with platinums.

continued…..

My proudest achievement was probably back when I first got introduced to online gaming. The PS2 didn’t have many online games, but I managed to play Star Wars Battlefront II and actually win a match.

As everyone in the game seemed to be far better than me, it was quite an achievement and has since spurred me on to play more games online in the current generation, even though it still seems to be the case that everyone else still manages to be better than me!

Dante_Zero 18 January, 2013 @ 6:19 pm   12

I’m proud that i have 10 PSVita platinums to date. I’m proud that GTA 4 was my 100th platty and hitting 10,000 trophys in november was a huge milestone to be proud off too. I also have some proud platinums such GTA4, Mirrors Edge, Killzone 2, GRFS, Ico, FFXIII, MAG, Battlefield 3 and Bayonetta. I have been quite blessed i guess to be able to play all these let alone platinum them and reach some great milestones. The trophy system has been great for gamers since it launched and i hope i can keep gaining some great milestones and platinums along the way into the PS4 era. Next gaming achievement to be proud of in 2013 for me is going to be the 200 platinums mark which i hope i’ll hit come December this year.

declan__watson 18 January, 2013 @ 6:22 pm   13

Also Fred
I was kinda reported on home, I dont really know why, the email say Text and verbal abuse but im afriad I havent said anything abusive to anyone. But could you let SCEE know that I am teribly sorry for any offence I have caused to them. I am a true PlayStation fan and the last thing I would want is get my account banned.
Thanks Fred Sorry for any inconvinience. LongLivePlay

i_am_locust 18 January, 2013 @ 7:05 pm   14

Must have been defeating King Totomesu (the big sphinx) in Super Mario Land on GameBoy, my first videogame ever actually. That time I could still tell people how old I was just by showing the right amount of fingers (I got it right almost everytime). For several months I only saw the first two-three levels. I actually thought that defeating King Totomesu was the last thing to do in the game. If I could defeat him, the princess was saved. My brother and I, we were always showing off with how far we got in the game, so we were like “Oooh, you’re not gonna believe me, but I almost made it through the end”. The first three levels were “Super Mario Land” to us.

You can imagine how psyched I was the first time I defeated him… and how surprised I was when Daisy turned into that fly thingy and learned that there were a few other worlds to go through.

Has to be getting old and still never getting bored of gameing in anyway. The way games are always changeing keeps the bug alive

thymeparadox 18 January, 2013 @ 7:46 pm   16

I beat Zelda II. ‘Nuff said.

ShinYagami13 18 January, 2013 @ 7:49 pm   17

i ve been playing video games for nearly 30 years now so thats really hard to answer and pick just one of what i consider achievements
anyway i ll name a few!

1.beating metal slug X on coin op with just one coin
2.playing Final Fantasy VII for 4 days straight with almost no sleep
(that was back in 1997!)and beating it 100%
3.Defeating Ragu o ragla in wild arms 3 (and 100%)
4.Defeating Yiazmat in Final Fantasy XII (and 100%)
5.Kings Quest VIII 100%
6.Putting over 600 hours in Oblivion Goty (and 100%)
7.My 1st platinum! (NFS Shift on 31/12/09)
8.One of the first people to beat Knytt Underground 100%
9.One amongst the 300 people that have achieved Starhawk platinum
10.Beating challenge 6 of Vanquish! (Ding!platinum 94)

i could name tons more but i think thats enough =)

RatchetBoy10 18 January, 2013 @ 7:58 pm   18

Whats my proudest gaming achivement?

Well i will tell you…

MAKING A GAME!

This has to be the best achivement in my books because not only do i play games that i enjoy. I can make a game that everyone else can enjoy! I’ve got a group of dedicatred people across 4 departments on my group. We hope that we can make a game that everyone will enjoy and that they would want to come back to. (so i have a challange)

And that is my biggest gaming achivement

My proudest achievement was my first Final Fantasy that I ever finished. It was also the first one I’d ever played. I’d gone through a couple years of starting over and leaving it, then going back and starting over again. Then in my FINAL year of school I decided to go for it between exams and revision.

It was gorgeous and sunny out. Early morning. I was on the FINAL disc. Everyone had their levels maxed out and all their attributes set how I like, with their FINAL weapons, ready to face the FINAL boss. The point of no return.

The battle was awesome and I felt empowered! Today will be the day! I will vanquish evil. And I did. The FINAL sequence began and I was rewarded with such beauty. All of my work had come for this. I regret nothing. The credits rolled, the familiar tune played. The tears ran down my face.

I’d had my FINAL exam the day before. It was the first day in the rest of my life.

It was my birthday. And my gift to myself, was to see Squall smile.

Nightmare966 18 January, 2013 @ 9:10 pm   20

I’d have to go back to the PS2 days.

It was in Soul Calibur III, and there two things really difficult to acomplish.

One was to complete the Chronicles of the Sword mode. It took me a lot of effort, sweat and patience to go through the last level. All the enemies had an extremely long life bar. while I had to fight with weapons that didn’t have health drain. The worst thing was getting to the last enemy and fall, having to restrat the whole thing. I did suffer that day, but I ended up finishing it. Took me a lot of skill, and seeing it was my first serious fighting game and the age I had, I’m quite proud.

The other was completeing the Story mode (as long as an Arcade run) without losing lifes. In the end I did it, I won the secret Mid-boss and the secret boss. The funniest part? it was with a character I had absolutely no experience with, Lizardman! :P

Okay, I’ll admit it. Took me 20 hours but I completed the mile high club on veteran in call of duty 4. Many deaths, many times I ran out of time but I finally did it. Another im proud of is getting both platinums on playstation all stars, great game, looking forward to the dlc characters

XboxDave360 18 January, 2013 @ 10:20 pm   22

My proudest moment was when I completed sonic adventure on my lovely Sega dreamcast console especially when I don’t generally finish any game to the end. I was amazed at such a great launch game it was just brilliant in every way. Now I can play it again on the PS3 thanks to the psn network…..you guys know how to keep this man happy….

solid--raiden 18 January, 2013 @ 10:30 pm   23

Metal Gear Solid 4 – The Big Boss Emblem

Unfortunately i did this way before mgs4 had trophies, but heres the rundown: complete the game on the hardest difficulty within 5 hours!!! with: no kills, no alerts, no healing items and no special items (stealth, bandana etc)… Fighting off armed pursuers in a bike chase with non-lethal weapons is no simple task!

it would proberbly be either completing uncharted 2, 3 and infamous after hours of hard work and dieing constantly and being in complete amazment as i watched the end or when after buying the full walking dead series playing the ending and thinking this is one of the bests story’s i’ve played (it was on pc) or completing BioShock on all platforms and concluding its the best game ive ever played :I. There 3 achivements that while not so impressive have meant a lot to me :D

Hmmmm. Apart from some Platinum Trophies, Little Big Planet comes to mind, I would say beating Sepheroth in Kingdom Hearts 2. I still have nightmares about the time I died when he had a fraction of a bar of health left. And then elaborating further on that would be completing Kingdom Hearts 2 100%. I loved the hell out of that game. Square Enix had better localize the HD Collection!

100% far cry 3
100% skyrim

My proudest achievement in gaming its probably that incredible time where i played an entire song in GUITAR HERO WITHOUT OPENING MY EYES, and beating my cousin, I remember the look in is face…

TheSmugExecutive 19 January, 2013 @ 5:18 am   28

My proudest achievement will come the day I can choose to turn off Trophy notifications altogether. Considering the age of this console and the fact that it’d only take one of the Japanese guys two minutes of coding effort, it’s QUITE baffling that this hasn’t been implemented yet.

Can’t you nudge one or two of the right people, Fred?

hmm…not sure if this will be frowned upon, but honestly? having the patience, leadership and ability to rally 11 players into boosting (dont tread on me, the game is broked -.-) the kill 5 players in a short time on Crysis 2 (Id have liked to say “I got it naturally, give prize, I got 4 in a row, hit detection is awful, and with 6 players ona team, its stupidly unlikely x_X) trophy, pulling off several ninja recruits due to people flaking out or going Rambo, solving all the translation problems people had, and then helping some struggling players with some advice for playing the mp properly (Camp, CTR, HMG :p) afterwards , with no help from any of those looking for the trophy >_>.
legitly however? Beating the first boss on Darksiders on Hard. Such a pain in the butt, hardest boss in the game by far, most folk just did an easy speed run for turbo armour and upgraded damage, pfft >_>.

(not sure if that double posted, blog still seems flibberty x_X, as a sidenote, is there a rule against posting more than ne answer? as in an automatic disqualification?)
Anyway last two. Walking into aroom, looking at the tv once and solving a Portal 2 puzzle for my father before handing the controller back to him amused me (considering this happened 3 times in 2 hours), given that he was apparently stuck for over half an hour :X.
Or similarly, getting high lum scores on Rayman Origins despite co-oping with him, who died every few obsticals, yelled at me every time he wanted a lum (despite me explaining we can go back for it, but theres 20 red lums just ahead, they count for 2 for the next few seconds, and I cant move the screen forward)and kept”forgetting”how to do a down attack (square and X?”no X then square and down”down X square…down square X, X square? many a ledge punt was the result -.-)though I suppose finding a game he enjoyed and we could both play together could be seen as an “achievement”?

Probably getting Platinum all three Uncharted my only Platinum trophies to date currently working on Platinuming Spec Ops the line on the hardest and dying A LOT.

spectre51 19 January, 2013 @ 6:17 am   32

Doing the 9 hour Tsukaba race in GT5 in one sitting without pausing.

I started it just before 1am and finished just before 10am was in the mood to burn some rubber. I used the Lamborghini 670-4 SV to try to keep the race close unfortunately the competing cars didn’t handle the lapped traffic too well and I won by 9 laps or around 9 minutes, completing 556 laps in the 9 hours.

Even though I had been up all night I managed to set the fastest lap on 546 with the finish in sight.

Any toilet breaks I took where limited to my scheduled pit stops and the time it took to complete the stop. I had a bottle of coke and some chips near me of which I would take a sip or bit when I would reach the short back straight of the track, as I didn’t have to worry about steering.

It was fun and the bunch of laps at the start were quite close till some lapped traffic affected the second placed car more than me and since the track is so short lapped traffic was quite common. The last couple of laps were tense hoping nothing would interrupt me this close to the end.

It was dead space 2 beating hardcore mode i thought I’ll probably never finish it and being rewarded the hand cannon
(after failing too many times i cant count)
and was my best achievement that i feel proud of.
I hope DS3 is easier because i don’t want go trough that again.

I guess most of my proud moments would be from the PS1 days, like getting Knight of the Round in FF7 or reaching Psycho Mantis in Metal Gear Solid without saving and without being detected and stuff like that.

But a more recent example would be in Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown. Back in September or so I got ranked among the top 1% in the Score Attack. I’ve probably lost some rank as I haven’t really played it since then, but still, I was pleased.

The only other game I’ve been going for getting good online ranking is Mirror’s Edge, in which I am among the top100 on the Speedruns for most levels, which I also was pleased of. Although this was with the PC version, and not on the PS3. I played thru the PS3 version and got my platinum though, barely took any time at all after playing the PC version so much.

bondington 19 January, 2013 @ 7:36 am   35

I’m from the States originally but when I was 11 we moved to the UK. Desperate in the knowledge that I’d be leaving my NES behind I had been trying to complete Super Mario Bros before we moved. I’m 36 now but my proudest moment in gaming is still when I competed Super Mario about an hour before we left for the airport. I can still remember the amazing feeling of satisfaction!

DoYouLikeMyID 19 January, 2013 @ 7:43 am   36

In Kingdom Hearts 2 (my favorite game of all time), you can unlock a secret movie by either completing the game in standard mode with the journal 100% completed, or by completing the game in proud mode. So I took it one step further, and I completed the game in proud mode, with 100% in the journal… 3 times. Once having chosen the sword, once with the staff, and once with the shield.

I also have a ton of other saves where I’ve just completed the game. I think all my saves combined clock in at a good bit over 600 hours, and I’m damn proud of it! :D

What can I say? A good game is a good game. ;-)

crusherMGS 19 January, 2013 @ 8:06 am   37

As a kid, after tons of bombs spent on finding breakable walls, being robbed countless times by burning down the wrong bushes and keeping hush about the moblin’s secret, finally beating The Legend of Zelda on the NES is still one of my proudest moments ever. The fact that there was a second quest after that blew my mind through the roof.

I managed to get quite far into the second quest too but alas my young brain just couldn’t figure out the location of those later dungeons. But this is a secret to everybody, alright!?

PapanikolasGR8 19 January, 2013 @ 8:45 am   38

my proudest achievement atleast for me is to playing to finish crash bash in 24 non stop :)

Completing Three Weeks in Paradise on my Amstrad 6128 in 1989… After having the game for 4 years. Not bad for a nine year old. Wish Amstrad Action had published the guide I wrote for it though.

MZperX_Hu 19 January, 2013 @ 8:45 am   40

I bought a game as an achievement after every smoke free month. Now I have 21 game, and I quit smoking.

sicktrash 19 January, 2013 @ 8:57 am   41

First in the world to get top rank in GTA4 multiplayer! Got nothing for my efforts :(

My proudest achievement in gaming would be in Final Fantasy IX. Beating the Excalibur II challenge, requiring to beat nearly the entire game within 12 hours was quite an achievement, especially when friends would tell you “it can’t be done!”. It took some time, and required a lot of planning like not wasting time saving (I only did at the end of a disc), but using every second I had. As a result I obtained Excalibur II with about 2 minutes to spare.

Of course playing through the game skipping every possible thing and just speeding through conversations, skipping sidequests & mini-games goes against everything in RPG’s, which is all about the journey, but this was a journey in its own right.

If FF IX is ever re-released with trophies I’d hope it will have a trophy for obtaining Excalibur II, and I wouldn’t rest until I had it :)

THE_FORCE 19 January, 2013 @ 9:18 am   43

I think mine was reporting Declan_Watson on home for chronically verbally abusing me.

Only joking Dec. :)

I can’t think of many really. Maybe getting the Plat on NFS Hot Pursuit?

Manually docking a craft to a space-station without hitting the side, on Elite, on my very first BBC computer :) I’ve been gaming a loooong time ;)

The one gaming moment that still sticks in my head even after years of playing other game. Defeating Baal on Hell Difficulty and Hardcore Mode on Diablo II: Lord of Destruction.

I had been trying to do this for so long for me to do, at least 2 years after I got the game and hundreds of dead Hardcore Characters (okay probably 2 dozen or less but it felt like hundreds).

After defeating Baal I ended up getting killed trying to kill him a second time BUT I still managed to do it once. Also for those of you who don’t know Hardcore mode on the Diablo series means 1 life, when you die it is game over forever, with that character.

KenMarinaris 19 January, 2013 @ 9:23 am   46

Platinums in Vanquished and Sacred 2 probably.
The first one is really tricky, especially legendary Chellenge 6 when you are gonna die time after time, the second one is so time consuming so it took me over 200 hrs to get it but still love this game and looking forward to Sacred 3.

XSeraph888X 19 January, 2013 @ 9:38 am   47

Waiting 48 hours for a maintenance.

RIONMAIDEN666 19 January, 2013 @ 9:40 am   48

Getting the inhuman achievement on guitar hero 3 is my proudest gaming achievement (even if it was on an inferior console). When the game was first released, and I could only do the easy difficulty, you play through the fire and flames on expert and you think it’s been put there as a joke. But as I started practicing more and I was able to do all the songs on expert, I saw the song as a challenge. After 100′s of hours, and annoying my parents with the clicking of the guitar, I finally completed the song and it was like getting a platinum trophy. Now I’ve moved on to rocksmith and look for a song that will give me the same sense of achievement when I can play it.

Shinoda_2qx 19 January, 2013 @ 9:42 am   49

On the 14th May 2010 I started my Killzone 2 journey, and earned my first two trophies. On the 14th May 2011, exactly a year after my journey began, I finally earned the final trophy. However, at this point, I no longer cared about the trophy, for many months my goal became to beat Colonel Radec on elite difficulty, which probably cost my hairline about 10 years! The day I finally beat him, I was deep into a 3 hour sitting, with a couple of close calls already. I got him to the final one on one stage, and I was so tense, heart was pounding, and then that magical moment I saw him fall! I jumped up and down screaming in joy, I beat Radec!!! I saw the game through the final cutscene and collected my final trophy, and then went to brag about my achievement to my folks, to which they told me they had just finished checking the house for burglars after hearing loud banging and screaming, ooops! My proudest achievement in 15 years of gaming.

destruct-o-matic 19 January, 2013 @ 9:49 am   50

I think it has to be 100% completing Grand Theft Auto: Vice City on PS2 when I was 14 years old. Those Ambulance missions were really hard on the later levels!

I really cannot explain the satisfaction of seeing 100% on the status screen (plus, having 3 goons to get in the car and wreak havoc with me!) =)

Load all