Posted 5:45pm

Weekend Debate: What have videogames taught you? (update)

thin Blog-banner-weekend-debate

UPDATE: Great work everyone – this week’s debate threw up some of the funniest responses ever and I very much enjoyed trawling through all your suggestions. Anyway, our judges have made their selections. The following commenters all get a digital copy of Bayonetta: toxic-inferno (post 4), fauxtronic (26), ghostgeet (117), dav2612 (126) and Lonehawk (157).

Congratulations! We’ll deliver your download code as a PM to your account on the official forums. Expect these to be sent out towards the end of the week.

ORIGINAL POST: If you’ve been keeping half an eye on the news this week, you may have noticed an interview with Prince Harry in which Great Britain’s third-in-line claimed that his love of PlayStation has helped him become a better helicopter pilot.

A perfect jumping-off point for a Weekend Debate, if ever there was one. Your topic for discussion today:

Me? Well, obviously I’ll be pretty well prepared when the inevitable undead apocalypse finally comes around, but in the here-and-now it’s a tougher question to answer. I do remember practising my three-point turns in Gran Turismo the night before my first driving test. I failed, of course, but that probably wasn’t GT’s fault…

The top five most entertaining responses snag themselves a download voucher for brilliant Sega button-masher Bayonetta, which gets a digital release on PlayStation Store next Wednesday. Good luck!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

167 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

TINTINTB303 25 January, 2013 @ 6:06 pm   1

Patience… ;-)

UltimateBaza 25 January, 2013 @ 6:10 pm   2

Good driving skills and reactions

wolfsinner 25 January, 2013 @ 6:10 pm   3

I played a lot of Dance Dance Revolution back in the days, so now I can rock it in the disco! lol

toxic-inferno 25 January, 2013 @ 6:11 pm   4

Great question this week!

My answer would have to be the skills I’ve developed in music. Through Guitar Hero, and later Rock Band, I developed an interest in playing the guitar, which probably would not have happened if it hadn’t been for those games. When I first started to learn guitar, Guitar Hero and Rock Band gave me a head-start in rhythm and strumming that I could transfer to actual music. Then, when Rocksmith came out last year, gaming became a part of my music again!

The second skill I have learnt primarily from gaming is a deeper insight into how narrative works. Games like the Uncharted series have allowed me to delve into the realms of storytelling in a unique way outside of books and films. Gaming is a fascinating medium for storytelling!

hack-DENKETSU- 25 January, 2013 @ 6:12 pm   5

Games have taught me what is considered good and bad if you are a electricity wielding super human!

JungleTramp 25 January, 2013 @ 6:13 pm   6

Good people are blue, bad people are red. It’s like a mild form of racism.

CyberDie21 25 January, 2013 @ 6:14 pm   7

I think not to lose my temper. Just keep it under control. Keep it relax :):)

Hiding dead bodies, it just never stops being useful.

Reading maps and orientating myself on them. As an avid citytripper this skill has truly come in handy to lose less time in strange cities. The time I spent brooding over the maps in Silent Hill 2, figuring out if the way to go was left, right, left or right, left, left, right, truly paid of when for instence in Paris my girl and I are on a boulevard close to the museum we want to visit, but can’t seem to find. As soon as I find the boulevard we’re standing at on the map I can quite instantly map the way out in my head. “Left, right, left, left honey, see, we’re at the cinematek…”

My girlfriend thinks it’s some kind of manly talent, or voodoo magic. I just answer it was Silent Hill 2 and GTA all along

Top skills – attention and concentration from shooters, fightings and simulators. Then sociability from mmo games. It helps me in real life.

Thanks to God of War and Farenheight, I learned that intercourse is just a case of waggling a joystick and pushing buttons at the right time.

Before this, I took tips from old game Custers Revenge, but walking around naked looking for likeminded women led to lots of time in jail for indecent exposure :\

DarkWindPT 25 January, 2013 @ 6:20 pm   12

Besides knowledge and historic events, games have taught me to never give up, no matter how bad the odds may be, somewhat like Metal Gear Solid 4 was, it’s why I love the entire story and narrative in it; the other thing games taught me is to think carefully and always have a second plan, much like in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, it’s the reason I got better in fighters, to be more skillful and to be precise; and the last important thing games taught me is about being sociable, and stick by yourself and you r friends,in the most dangerous occasions, and a perfect example of that would be Persona 3 and 4, the narrative and gameplay style proves just that.

Games really have a fantastic story to tell, and I’m glad to witness them, even if they are really obscure!

Dr_Stratts 25 January, 2013 @ 6:21 pm   13

nothing is ever what initially seems in any game ever past present or future, trust no one, its all lies. happens in every game even FIFA

“Questions over Lionel Messi’s Future with Blackpool”

Yeah thanks for that Leo, its not like I just Paid 124 million pounds for you last season for you to leave for Chelsea :(

I would say its helped my spelling/Reading from a early age as I tend to always play my games with subtitles incase I cant hear something properly etc

And back in the PS1 era I used to play games like theme hospital and theme park that let you build your company up from scratch, And you had to manage your money/employees etc carefully. This has helped due to me now doing office work.

And lastly Gran Turismo with the steering wheel has given me knowledge of cars plus abit of experience on the road before I even got my licence. :D

when i was younger videogames helped me to learn to read and speak quicker than i was supposed to in my classes, my parents always tell me that the teachers used to ask what they where doing to since other kids in my class still had problems while i could read a ton of words perfectly fine

so yeah in a sense without videogames i would’ve had a harder time reading and speaking or it could’ve been a lot longer before i could do it properly

Lost-Soul-8 25 January, 2013 @ 6:24 pm   16

Where to start well theres my reaction times, hand to eye coordination, patience, persistence, determination, taking in all surroundings, improved memory when u always had to go back to previous areas to collect things lol the list goes on haha

V00D00CHARL1E 25 January, 2013 @ 6:25 pm   17

As per the first post, it has to be patience. But for many different reasons over the years. From the early days of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy, and the frustrations of never quite making that pixel perfect jump, the Atari Jaguar and trying to clasp the huge controller, through to my PS3 and having to update firmware and patch software on a daily basis.

Love it

cheekyMcB 25 January, 2013 @ 6:27 pm   18

Oh so many things. These include herding large numbers of rodents (Lemmings), management of various kinds (Sim City, Premier Manager, Theme Park) through to the dangers of industrial areas (any game with explosive barrels and their like).

Last but not least, you need practice and need to work up to eating something bigger than yourself (Noby Noby Boy).

Avengerrr 25 January, 2013 @ 6:31 pm   19

I am doing a degree in Film and English and I am partly doing so because of games. The last gen of games was the one I started in and they showed me some fantastically written stories but they told them to me in an inexpressive way. So I began to re-imagine the telling of those story lines, to shape scenes, characters and dialogue in different ways and so without knowing it they began ignite my creativity with storytelling. In college I gained confidence to actually write and construct stories and these days I’m on the lookout for games with good narratives and direction, because film and books are not just the only place where I can find intelligently written stories. The most recent which gob-smacked me was MGS3: snake eater which was absolutely brilliant: great script, good direction and best of all an excellent narrative. It really inspired me as have other games not necessarily in narrative or story either, but aesthetics, characters, art styles. So that’s the best thing that games have done, I can’t begin to tell these kinds of things to everyone because when I am a student of Film and English and they start hearing about games and narratives, they just think it isn’t quite the same which it isn’t fully.

Nightmare966 25 January, 2013 @ 6:32 pm   20

Definetely a lot of good lessons…

Assassin’s Creed II and III spoilers ahead:

Assassin’s Creed II taught me that revenge doesn’t solve anything. At all. Ezio has a great quote somewhere…:

“No. Killing you won’t bring my family back… I’m done.”

Which is basically true, as violence only spreads violence.

Another thing I’ve learned is that victory sometimes doesn’t equal happy endings. War deaths aside, Connor’s story is the very proof of that: He ends up defeating the Templar forces in America, letting people be free to chose what to do, but the people he swore to preotect and defend are ultimately forced to leave their land, which Connor swears they won’t have to abandon. Unfortunately, that was his price to pay.

That’s morally. The real lesson all games teach me (at that Continue Screen lol) is: Never surrender! ;)

ShinYagami13 25 January, 2013 @ 6:33 pm   21

that the cake is NOT a lie =)

Nightmare966 25 January, 2013 @ 6:34 pm   22

Shoot, I read the wrong question. Guess I’m dequalified then :(

Completing Call of Duty World at War taught me some serious anger management, thank you Playstation! :-)

Chunkylord 25 January, 2013 @ 6:35 pm   24

Co-operation… or should that be betrayal? I remember more than a few occasions where fragile alliances were formed and broken in a single game of Worms Armageddon. Good times. Not too sure about the real life application of this, however.

in all honesty i have to say assassins creed. not in the sense of killing or anything haha but the whole scheme of climbing buildings and subtlety. this taught me how to look for the smallest opportunities in everything and how to use your surroundings to your advantage.
i put this into practice in my year 12 muck up day where we were setting up everything and everyone wanted to get up onto the roof to do things but the school was designed in a way so that students couldnt get up there and there was no safe way to get up without a ladder. using the concept of looking for small opportunities i noticed that one of the bricks had corroded creating a dent in it big enough for a hand but too high up. i grabbed a small bin below it got a run up and leaped for this spot from here i was able to push off the building and grab onto an overhead beam and shimmy my way over to the edge of the roof and climb up. i used this opportunity to create a clothes line of old mens underwear from one side of the court to the other. the staff at the school said they couldnt legally take it down and had to wait for the handyman to come back from holidays. it was up there for 2 weeks total and school had to presume normally! haha

fauxtronic 25 January, 2013 @ 6:37 pm   26

After major brain surgery just over a couple of years ago, I had issues with hand eye coordination and finger dexterity/muscle memory. I had to re-learn to write and all that, but I think FPS games like Crysis and Bioshock significantly accelerated my recovery.

My neurologist wasn’t entirely happy with me playing games due to the increased risk of seizure within six months of a brain operation, bit figure it was OK provided it was only for thirty minutes at a time with long breaks in-between.

Solid snake n sam fisher have taught me how to be very stealthily around my 2year old daughter so I can grab a few minutes on my beloved ps3. Until she see’s ive gone comes in front room and say DADDY NO PLAYIN. Micky mouse on pezz with her puppy eyes so I turn it off and think of my next mission to get pass her ( she’s the hardest boss ive ever faced) but ill keep trying to out do her. Maybe one day a.ppl with kids will no were im comin from lol

Demonicspawn 25 January, 2013 @ 6:37 pm   28

I found that the old style of shooting games with the old light gun “G con” like point blank and the time crises series made me an awesome shot for real.

WELSHDRAGON_74 25 January, 2013 @ 6:37 pm   29

video games has taught me its cooooooooooooooooooool to play games and its taught me to chill out after a hard days graft awesome love u sony

Jestersoil 25 January, 2013 @ 6:38 pm   30

well, that’s an awesome question and i think that we all learned a lot throughout these years of gaming!
first of all i’ll agree with you Fred, if ever an undead apocalypse occurs i think the whole world will know that a strong hit in the head will do the job :P

other than that, gaming taught me patience (like, a LOT of it!!), i have to admit that gaming made learn how to speak and write english!
also, that good and strong friendships can come out of it when you’re not expecting it at all! i’ve also learned a lot about history of many different cultures! something that i wouldn’t get to know about otherwise, cause when it comes to history i don’t like reading that much!
one more thing is that games like Metal Gear Solid, Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls made me wanna try even more to achieve things and never give up as easy as i used to!!!
and of course i can’t end this post without mentioning The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion… it’s the one game that took me into the world of rpgs and i thank bethesda for that cause without it i wouldn’t really spend any time reading fantasy novels, comics and stuff like that, which since then it’s a part of my life! :D

p.s. CAN’T WAIT FOR THE SKYRIM DLCS TO ARRIVE :D

TheNudgeMan 25 January, 2013 @ 6:38 pm   31

Games have taught me that the best way to win a sword-fight is to hurl insults at them.

You fight like a cow!

grand theft auto taught me how to get a refund from hookers.
and
super mario brothers taught me why i should never date a princess.

almighty-slayer 25 January, 2013 @ 6:55 pm   33

Put all my bottlecaps in a jar ready for the apocalypse (then i’ll be rich :P)

chrisboers 25 January, 2013 @ 7:09 pm   34

In contrast to other weeks, this week reading the answers is actually extremely funny. Bring it on everyone!

What Videogames taught me?
Oh Well..
- Following your own dream is always right. Protecting It and not forgetting the importance of Life, Friends and such.( Crisis Core.)
- It Doesnt matter how much things can turn bad..there is always a way to fix em. Even when it looks like the World will turn against you, doing the right thing is priceless ( Infamous 2, Blue/Hero Path.)
-Over-analize things + Carefully planning. Dark souls can be frustrating if you just jump in without thinking. Thanks to that i learned to prepare action-plans in a short amount of time for many things, like exams, tests and some unplanned events.
-How i SHOULDN’T Drive( Motorstorm )
- Always make your imagination work. It is an important part of our mind and a trained imagination can help living an Happy life ( Little Big Planet )
-Art, for real. Assassin’s Creed II allowed me to learn more about art than High School was able to. I’m grateful for that.

ps: I know the first 2 are psychological teaches but..let’s face it: An Healthy Mind in an Healthy Body, right?

Bonus: Bayonetta taught me that no matter how much i search, no woman like here exist on this planet.

chrisboers 25 January, 2013 @ 7:11 pm   36

I learned how to get into stripclubs, and wehere to find the secret password “Ken sent me”! :-)

We grow up being constantly reminded that hard work is the best way to achieve what we want, and that applies to everything we do in real life, but I only truly realized this after playing Metal Gear Solid 2. For some it was the graphics, for some it was the script, for some it was the openness of the gameplay, but for me this game was all about attention to the small details. OCD levels of attention to the small details. Insanely OCD levels of attention to the small details!!! After I finished it I promised myself to try and put half the effort Hideo Kojima must have put into making that game whenever I was faced with an important task. And I did; and it worked; and it still does. So thank you Mr Kojima for showing me the way to perfection!

circa_spectrum 25 January, 2013 @ 7:13 pm   38

How to fix a cassette when it invariably got stuck in a tape deck

PIREDERAS 25 January, 2013 @ 7:21 pm   39

The Metal Gear Solid games taught me to disappear effectively from my parents 10 years ago, whenever I got them mad at me for some reason (especially my grades at high-school…)!

Video games has taught me that some instances, you are required to be stealthy. This can prove difficult, as you will in these cases be surrounded. There is only one way to get to your goal…

… a cardboard box

lefskisofiq 25 January, 2013 @ 7:24 pm   41

“What transferable skills have video games taught you that you can implement in everyday life?”
hmm… lets see,
1st skill/lesson – Take it easy because if you take everything too seriously you’re gonna have a bad time.
2nd skill/lesson – I’ve learned to enjoy the little things( like Easter eggs in a video game).
3rd skill/lesson – to just keep trying and eventually get what you want.
4th skill/lesson – if it life feels too hard just listen to some music(there are some terrible games that have awesome soundtracks :D )
5th skill/lesson – you can always blame someone/something else for your faults :D

CobbDog22 25 January, 2013 @ 7:27 pm   42

Video games have taught me, well…everything;
But what skills have I learned that can help me in real life besides zombie apocalypse?
That would have to be not to be afraid to ask for help when needed.
Although that’s not really a skill. I find its helped me a lot.
A definite skill would be, speaking some Italian.
I’m planning to travel over to Italy when I’m older so I can visit the art galleries.

What video games have taught me is that they offer you different type of life in a virtual world. You get to experience things that you would not be able to experience in the real world due to limitations, possibilities, money and other factors. In a video game these things do not matter as anything in a video game is possible! :D

ducky1549 25 January, 2013 @ 7:34 pm   44

How to kill zombies for when the apocalypse decides to turn up :).

I learned a couple of things. One was how to best hide in a box and move around military installations without being noticed, that comes in handy every day when I try to reclaim the remote control from the TV or get cookies from the kitchen without my girlfriend noticing it. I also learned that love can bloom on the battlefield.

i once thought that singstar had made me a better singer but my singstar vids will clearly show you that im deluded in that department.

if only more things from games could be used in real life, you get into work its 8:55 you fire up your pc and press Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right B, A, Start, bang its 17:00 days over your heading home :)
if only ;)

Radnom Item+Duck-tape+random item. hit them in the face=no more zombie. Thanks Dead Rising and your knife gloves of death :o.
more practically? I guess how to play off luck and randomness as skill, being able to casually state I had planned to do something in say a fighter and sound plausible transfers pretty nicely when things happen to work out fine.
You can never have too much loot and if something looks shiney pick it up?
Oh, also instruction manuals are over rated, press all the buttons and figure out what things do for yourself, when things start to beep too often then you may have a problem.

I think that the most valuable lesson video games have taught me is that I should never fall off high buildings as the floor is not a good guy.
And also when you kick a whole in your wall because of FIFA everyone in the house seems to hate you for a while.

How to kill people effectively without anyone noticing. Scary stuff.
I think the most valuable lesson video games has taught me is that you should never mess with a god because he might turn out to be Kratos.

Determination and revenge