Posted 5:45pm

Weekend Debate: What have videogames taught you? (update)

thin Blog-banner-weekend-debate

UPDATE: Great work everyone – this week’s debate threw up some of the funniest responses ever and I very much enjoyed trawling through all your suggestions. Anyway, our judges have made their selections. The following commenters all get a digital copy of Bayonetta: toxic-inferno (post 4), fauxtronic (26), ghostgeet (117), dav2612 (126) and Lonehawk (157).

Congratulations! We’ll deliver your download code as a PM to your account on the official forums. Expect these to be sent out towards the end of the week.

ORIGINAL POST: If you’ve been keeping half an eye on the news this week, you may have noticed an interview with Prince Harry in which Great Britain’s third-in-line claimed that his love of PlayStation has helped him become a better helicopter pilot.

A perfect jumping-off point for a Weekend Debate, if ever there was one. Your topic for discussion today:

Me? Well, obviously I’ll be pretty well prepared when the inevitable undead apocalypse finally comes around, but in the here-and-now it’s a tougher question to answer. I do remember practising my three-point turns in Gran Turismo the night before my first driving test. I failed, of course, but that probably wasn’t GT’s fault…

The top five most entertaining responses snag themselves a download voucher for brilliant Sega button-masher Bayonetta, which gets a digital release on PlayStation Store next Wednesday. Good luck!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

167 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

TINTINTB303 25 January, 2013 @ 6:06 pm   1

Patience… ;-)

UltimateBaza 25 January, 2013 @ 6:10 pm   2

Good driving skills and reactions

wolfsinner 25 January, 2013 @ 6:10 pm   3

I played a lot of Dance Dance Revolution back in the days, so now I can rock it in the disco! lol

toxic-inferno 25 January, 2013 @ 6:11 pm   4

Great question this week!

My answer would have to be the skills I’ve developed in music. Through Guitar Hero, and later Rock Band, I developed an interest in playing the guitar, which probably would not have happened if it hadn’t been for those games. When I first started to learn guitar, Guitar Hero and Rock Band gave me a head-start in rhythm and strumming that I could transfer to actual music. Then, when Rocksmith came out last year, gaming became a part of my music again!

The second skill I have learnt primarily from gaming is a deeper insight into how narrative works. Games like the Uncharted series have allowed me to delve into the realms of storytelling in a unique way outside of books and films. Gaming is a fascinating medium for storytelling!

hack-DENKETSU- 25 January, 2013 @ 6:12 pm   5

Games have taught me what is considered good and bad if you are a electricity wielding super human!

JungleTramp 25 January, 2013 @ 6:13 pm   6

Good people are blue, bad people are red. It’s like a mild form of racism.

CyberDie21 25 January, 2013 @ 6:14 pm   7

I think not to lose my temper. Just keep it under control. Keep it relax :):)

Hiding dead bodies, it just never stops being useful.

Reading maps and orientating myself on them. As an avid citytripper this skill has truly come in handy to lose less time in strange cities. The time I spent brooding over the maps in Silent Hill 2, figuring out if the way to go was left, right, left or right, left, left, right, truly paid of when for instence in Paris my girl and I are on a boulevard close to the museum we want to visit, but can’t seem to find. As soon as I find the boulevard we’re standing at on the map I can quite instantly map the way out in my head. “Left, right, left, left honey, see, we’re at the cinematek…”

My girlfriend thinks it’s some kind of manly talent, or voodoo magic. I just answer it was Silent Hill 2 and GTA all along

Top skills – attention and concentration from shooters, fightings and simulators. Then sociability from mmo games. It helps me in real life.

Thanks to God of War and Farenheight, I learned that intercourse is just a case of waggling a joystick and pushing buttons at the right time.

Before this, I took tips from old game Custers Revenge, but walking around naked looking for likeminded women led to lots of time in jail for indecent exposure :\

DarkWindPT 25 January, 2013 @ 6:20 pm   12

Besides knowledge and historic events, games have taught me to never give up, no matter how bad the odds may be, somewhat like Metal Gear Solid 4 was, it’s why I love the entire story and narrative in it; the other thing games taught me is to think carefully and always have a second plan, much like in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, it’s the reason I got better in fighters, to be more skillful and to be precise; and the last important thing games taught me is about being sociable, and stick by yourself and you r friends,in the most dangerous occasions, and a perfect example of that would be Persona 3 and 4, the narrative and gameplay style proves just that.

Games really have a fantastic story to tell, and I’m glad to witness them, even if they are really obscure!

Dr_Stratts 25 January, 2013 @ 6:21 pm   13

nothing is ever what initially seems in any game ever past present or future, trust no one, its all lies. happens in every game even FIFA

“Questions over Lionel Messi’s Future with Blackpool”

Yeah thanks for that Leo, its not like I just Paid 124 million pounds for you last season for you to leave for Chelsea :(

I would say its helped my spelling/Reading from a early age as I tend to always play my games with subtitles incase I cant hear something properly etc

And back in the PS1 era I used to play games like theme hospital and theme park that let you build your company up from scratch, And you had to manage your money/employees etc carefully. This has helped due to me now doing office work.

And lastly Gran Turismo with the steering wheel has given me knowledge of cars plus abit of experience on the road before I even got my licence. :D

when i was younger videogames helped me to learn to read and speak quicker than i was supposed to in my classes, my parents always tell me that the teachers used to ask what they where doing to since other kids in my class still had problems while i could read a ton of words perfectly fine

so yeah in a sense without videogames i would’ve had a harder time reading and speaking or it could’ve been a lot longer before i could do it properly

Lost-Soul-8 25 January, 2013 @ 6:24 pm   16

Where to start well theres my reaction times, hand to eye coordination, patience, persistence, determination, taking in all surroundings, improved memory when u always had to go back to previous areas to collect things lol the list goes on haha

V00D00CHARL1E 25 January, 2013 @ 6:25 pm   17

As per the first post, it has to be patience. But for many different reasons over the years. From the early days of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy, and the frustrations of never quite making that pixel perfect jump, the Atari Jaguar and trying to clasp the huge controller, through to my PS3 and having to update firmware and patch software on a daily basis.

Love it

cheekyMcB 25 January, 2013 @ 6:27 pm   18

Oh so many things. These include herding large numbers of rodents (Lemmings), management of various kinds (Sim City, Premier Manager, Theme Park) through to the dangers of industrial areas (any game with explosive barrels and their like).

Last but not least, you need practice and need to work up to eating something bigger than yourself (Noby Noby Boy).

Avengerrr 25 January, 2013 @ 6:31 pm   19

I am doing a degree in Film and English and I am partly doing so because of games. The last gen of games was the one I started in and they showed me some fantastically written stories but they told them to me in an inexpressive way. So I began to re-imagine the telling of those story lines, to shape scenes, characters and dialogue in different ways and so without knowing it they began ignite my creativity with storytelling. In college I gained confidence to actually write and construct stories and these days I’m on the lookout for games with good narratives and direction, because film and books are not just the only place where I can find intelligently written stories. The most recent which gob-smacked me was MGS3: snake eater which was absolutely brilliant: great script, good direction and best of all an excellent narrative. It really inspired me as have other games not necessarily in narrative or story either, but aesthetics, characters, art styles. So that’s the best thing that games have done, I can’t begin to tell these kinds of things to everyone because when I am a student of Film and English and they start hearing about games and narratives, they just think it isn’t quite the same which it isn’t fully.

Nightmare966 25 January, 2013 @ 6:32 pm   20

Definetely a lot of good lessons…

Assassin’s Creed II and III spoilers ahead:

Assassin’s Creed II taught me that revenge doesn’t solve anything. At all. Ezio has a great quote somewhere…:

“No. Killing you won’t bring my family back… I’m done.”

Which is basically true, as violence only spreads violence.

Another thing I’ve learned is that victory sometimes doesn’t equal happy endings. War deaths aside, Connor’s story is the very proof of that: He ends up defeating the Templar forces in America, letting people be free to chose what to do, but the people he swore to preotect and defend are ultimately forced to leave their land, which Connor swears they won’t have to abandon. Unfortunately, that was his price to pay.

That’s morally. The real lesson all games teach me (at that Continue Screen lol) is: Never surrender! ;)

ShinYagami13 25 January, 2013 @ 6:33 pm   21

that the cake is NOT a lie =)

Nightmare966 25 January, 2013 @ 6:34 pm   22

Shoot, I read the wrong question. Guess I’m dequalified then :(

Completing Call of Duty World at War taught me some serious anger management, thank you Playstation! :-)

Chunkylord 25 January, 2013 @ 6:35 pm   24

Co-operation… or should that be betrayal? I remember more than a few occasions where fragile alliances were formed and broken in a single game of Worms Armageddon. Good times. Not too sure about the real life application of this, however.

in all honesty i have to say assassins creed. not in the sense of killing or anything haha but the whole scheme of climbing buildings and subtlety. this taught me how to look for the smallest opportunities in everything and how to use your surroundings to your advantage.
i put this into practice in my year 12 muck up day where we were setting up everything and everyone wanted to get up onto the roof to do things but the school was designed in a way so that students couldnt get up there and there was no safe way to get up without a ladder. using the concept of looking for small opportunities i noticed that one of the bricks had corroded creating a dent in it big enough for a hand but too high up. i grabbed a small bin below it got a run up and leaped for this spot from here i was able to push off the building and grab onto an overhead beam and shimmy my way over to the edge of the roof and climb up. i used this opportunity to create a clothes line of old mens underwear from one side of the court to the other. the staff at the school said they couldnt legally take it down and had to wait for the handyman to come back from holidays. it was up there for 2 weeks total and school had to presume normally! haha

fauxtronic 25 January, 2013 @ 6:37 pm   26

After major brain surgery just over a couple of years ago, I had issues with hand eye coordination and finger dexterity/muscle memory. I had to re-learn to write and all that, but I think FPS games like Crysis and Bioshock significantly accelerated my recovery.

My neurologist wasn’t entirely happy with me playing games due to the increased risk of seizure within six months of a brain operation, bit figure it was OK provided it was only for thirty minutes at a time with long breaks in-between.

Solid snake n sam fisher have taught me how to be very stealthily around my 2year old daughter so I can grab a few minutes on my beloved ps3. Until she see’s ive gone comes in front room and say DADDY NO PLAYIN. Micky mouse on pezz with her puppy eyes so I turn it off and think of my next mission to get pass her ( she’s the hardest boss ive ever faced) but ill keep trying to out do her. Maybe one day a.ppl with kids will no were im comin from lol

Demonicspawn 25 January, 2013 @ 6:37 pm   28

I found that the old style of shooting games with the old light gun “G con” like point blank and the time crises series made me an awesome shot for real.

WELSHDRAGON_74 25 January, 2013 @ 6:37 pm   29

video games has taught me its cooooooooooooooooooool to play games and its taught me to chill out after a hard days graft awesome love u sony

Jestersoil 25 January, 2013 @ 6:38 pm   30

well, that’s an awesome question and i think that we all learned a lot throughout these years of gaming!
first of all i’ll agree with you Fred, if ever an undead apocalypse occurs i think the whole world will know that a strong hit in the head will do the job :P

other than that, gaming taught me patience (like, a LOT of it!!), i have to admit that gaming made learn how to speak and write english!
also, that good and strong friendships can come out of it when you’re not expecting it at all! i’ve also learned a lot about history of many different cultures! something that i wouldn’t get to know about otherwise, cause when it comes to history i don’t like reading that much!
one more thing is that games like Metal Gear Solid, Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls made me wanna try even more to achieve things and never give up as easy as i used to!!!
and of course i can’t end this post without mentioning The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion… it’s the one game that took me into the world of rpgs and i thank bethesda for that cause without it i wouldn’t really spend any time reading fantasy novels, comics and stuff like that, which since then it’s a part of my life! :D

p.s. CAN’T WAIT FOR THE SKYRIM DLCS TO ARRIVE :D

TheNudgeMan 25 January, 2013 @ 6:38 pm   31

Games have taught me that the best way to win a sword-fight is to hurl insults at them.

You fight like a cow!

grand theft auto taught me how to get a refund from hookers.
and
super mario brothers taught me why i should never date a princess.

almighty-slayer 25 January, 2013 @ 6:55 pm   33

Put all my bottlecaps in a jar ready for the apocalypse (then i’ll be rich :P)

chrisboers 25 January, 2013 @ 7:09 pm   34

In contrast to other weeks, this week reading the answers is actually extremely funny. Bring it on everyone!

What Videogames taught me?
Oh Well..
- Following your own dream is always right. Protecting It and not forgetting the importance of Life, Friends and such.( Crisis Core.)
- It Doesnt matter how much things can turn bad..there is always a way to fix em. Even when it looks like the World will turn against you, doing the right thing is priceless ( Infamous 2, Blue/Hero Path.)
-Over-analize things + Carefully planning. Dark souls can be frustrating if you just jump in without thinking. Thanks to that i learned to prepare action-plans in a short amount of time for many things, like exams, tests and some unplanned events.
-How i SHOULDN’T Drive( Motorstorm )
- Always make your imagination work. It is an important part of our mind and a trained imagination can help living an Happy life ( Little Big Planet )
-Art, for real. Assassin’s Creed II allowed me to learn more about art than High School was able to. I’m grateful for that.

ps: I know the first 2 are psychological teaches but..let’s face it: An Healthy Mind in an Healthy Body, right?

Bonus: Bayonetta taught me that no matter how much i search, no woman like here exist on this planet.

chrisboers 25 January, 2013 @ 7:11 pm   36

I learned how to get into stripclubs, and wehere to find the secret password “Ken sent me”! :-)

We grow up being constantly reminded that hard work is the best way to achieve what we want, and that applies to everything we do in real life, but I only truly realized this after playing Metal Gear Solid 2. For some it was the graphics, for some it was the script, for some it was the openness of the gameplay, but for me this game was all about attention to the small details. OCD levels of attention to the small details. Insanely OCD levels of attention to the small details!!! After I finished it I promised myself to try and put half the effort Hideo Kojima must have put into making that game whenever I was faced with an important task. And I did; and it worked; and it still does. So thank you Mr Kojima for showing me the way to perfection!

circa_spectrum 25 January, 2013 @ 7:13 pm   38

How to fix a cassette when it invariably got stuck in a tape deck

PIREDERAS 25 January, 2013 @ 7:21 pm   39

The Metal Gear Solid games taught me to disappear effectively from my parents 10 years ago, whenever I got them mad at me for some reason (especially my grades at high-school…)!

Video games has taught me that some instances, you are required to be stealthy. This can prove difficult, as you will in these cases be surrounded. There is only one way to get to your goal…

… a cardboard box

lefskisofiq 25 January, 2013 @ 7:24 pm   41

“What transferable skills have video games taught you that you can implement in everyday life?”
hmm… lets see,
1st skill/lesson – Take it easy because if you take everything too seriously you’re gonna have a bad time.
2nd skill/lesson – I’ve learned to enjoy the little things( like Easter eggs in a video game).
3rd skill/lesson – to just keep trying and eventually get what you want.
4th skill/lesson – if it life feels too hard just listen to some music(there are some terrible games that have awesome soundtracks :D )
5th skill/lesson – you can always blame someone/something else for your faults :D

CobbDog22 25 January, 2013 @ 7:27 pm   42

Video games have taught me, well…everything;
But what skills have I learned that can help me in real life besides zombie apocalypse?
That would have to be not to be afraid to ask for help when needed.
Although that’s not really a skill. I find its helped me a lot.
A definite skill would be, speaking some Italian.
I’m planning to travel over to Italy when I’m older so I can visit the art galleries.

What video games have taught me is that they offer you different type of life in a virtual world. You get to experience things that you would not be able to experience in the real world due to limitations, possibilities, money and other factors. In a video game these things do not matter as anything in a video game is possible! :D

ducky1549 25 January, 2013 @ 7:34 pm   44

How to kill zombies for when the apocalypse decides to turn up :).

I learned a couple of things. One was how to best hide in a box and move around military installations without being noticed, that comes in handy every day when I try to reclaim the remote control from the TV or get cookies from the kitchen without my girlfriend noticing it. I also learned that love can bloom on the battlefield.

i once thought that singstar had made me a better singer but my singstar vids will clearly show you that im deluded in that department.

if only more things from games could be used in real life, you get into work its 8:55 you fire up your pc and press Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right B, A, Start, bang its 17:00 days over your heading home :)
if only ;)

Radnom Item+Duck-tape+random item. hit them in the face=no more zombie. Thanks Dead Rising and your knife gloves of death :o.
more practically? I guess how to play off luck and randomness as skill, being able to casually state I had planned to do something in say a fighter and sound plausible transfers pretty nicely when things happen to work out fine.
You can never have too much loot and if something looks shiney pick it up?
Oh, also instruction manuals are over rated, press all the buttons and figure out what things do for yourself, when things start to beep too often then you may have a problem.

I think that the most valuable lesson video games have taught me is that I should never fall off high buildings as the floor is not a good guy.
And also when you kick a whole in your wall because of FIFA everyone in the house seems to hate you for a while.

How to kill people effectively without anyone noticing. Scary stuff.
I think the most valuable lesson video games has taught me is that you should never mess with a god because he might turn out to be Kratos.

Determination and revenge

Superbuu3 25 January, 2013 @ 7:57 pm   51

Video games actually were really helpful to me, in terms of school when i was younger, including subjects such as Maths and Physics.

Personally when I was younger I always found that you need to apply a lot of simple math in games. Be this just estimating and counting just how much damage you can take from a boss if you are hitting them hit for hit. Calculating the speed of bullets on screen and your spaceship to judge if you can dodge something. I mean I remember some really early games I played like this one game called super tank, a lot of the levels had bouncy walls you could ricochet bullets off to hit targets. Golf games also simulated this and working out percentage power and considering stuff like the slope of the ground and even the percentage power if you are on the rough or the green.

I mean when you think about it, it most likely helped a lot of us with that kind of stuff if we bothered to think about it. Micromanagement in RPGs and Strategy games can’t be underestimated either.

gAreth-87 25 January, 2013 @ 7:59 pm   52

Playstation Network taught me that it doesn’t matter what language you speak – when your playing online, gaming is your language.

Assassin’s Creed has taught me a lot about european history, things that I wasn’t really paying attention to when I was in school. This game made me go look for more info about Italian Renaissance, The Crusades, American Revolution and history of the world in general, something I wasn’t really planning to do at this time of my life. This franchise isn’t just a game, it’s a great universe based on our reality, and also a little history book somehow if you take your time checking all the documention inside the game while playing.
Also this game has allowed me to meet and collaborate with great historical figures such as Leonard Da Vinci lol. Until Revelations, all the Assassin’s Creed I’ve played were borrowed from a friend who introduced me to the series, now I’m at least as much a fan as him, but from now on I will but all my next AC content, because to me it’s a way to symbolize my growing gratitude towards the team behind this game. Thanks Ubisoft,Jade Raymond and all these people I don’t know.

CP-Daniel 25 January, 2013 @ 8:09 pm   54

videogames thought me that dragons are really cool.

Jamesyp00 25 January, 2013 @ 8:10 pm   55

Final fantasy taught me roman numerals way before school did, Teacher was rather impressed i knew what each number was, It also helped me with my mathematics too, who would have thought a great fantasy RPG series would help me get good grades!
Online multiplayer games have really toughened me up too, insults just aren’t a thing that phase me anymore.

Poppcorn8 25 January, 2013 @ 8:11 pm   56

Hiding, English and history

superJCwarrior 25 January, 2013 @ 8:14 pm   57

Games have taught me that women are completely useless, for example Carley from The Walking Dead game, she couldn’t work out which way the batteries go in a simple little radio.
If you want something done never ask a woman,,, unless it involves cooking.

THE_FORCE 25 January, 2013 @ 8:18 pm   58

Singstar made me a better singer.

WhiteBishop12 25 January, 2013 @ 8:19 pm   59

Well as a long time playstation gamer and gamer in general there are many things to which videogames teach the gamer that can transfer to reality that can be implemented everyday.

Firstly and maybe the most important is that videogames have taught me to really appreciate a good story. Gamers differ some play for action, some play to pass time by, some play professionally and some play to be immersed in the story. Many games set out to present an amazing story to the gamer and indeed few succeed. Earlier in 2012 we saw the release of journey. Although simple in game mechanics it leaves such an effect on the player after they complete their “journey” and hence why it has received amazing reviews. Another series like say Metal gear presents a good story although hard to follow at times it is effectively a huge story presented over many games over the last 25-26 years. These games are but a few of which present a story to the player and a ‘hidden message’ which everyone who plays the game interprets differently.

WhiteBishop12 25 January, 2013 @ 8:19 pm   60

I myself understood at the end of MGS4 guns of the patriots was that basically Hideo Kojima says that ‘computers and electronics should not run your life’ and we see this everywhere that people have become more antisocial because when out people tend to be glued to their mobile phones. Anyway I dragged on too long.

The second point and ill keep it short is that of ‘attention to detail’. As the years go on games tend to get reviewed for graphics and gameplay and story get forgotten. However as the graphics increase and amaze people they for me anyway tend to hurt my eyes sometimes due to the super fast movement as seen in the metal gear rising demo. Though it happens with other games. As a gamer personally it has let me become more aware to miniscule details. When searching for ammo in the original resident evil games or when looking for glass bottles in the sly trilogy. It has been really helpful to me especially when driving as im more aware to my surroundings etc.
I could ramble all day but now ill stop. :D

grimbarian 25 January, 2013 @ 8:20 pm   61

Skill gained from video games? Not to rush.

The best games don’t reward you for coming first – but for exploring and having fun. Taking your time to experience and enjoy everything on offer.

A valuable skill to have in life.

(Stop sniggering at the back)

WhiteBishop12 25 January, 2013 @ 8:21 pm   62

WhiteBishop12 25 January, 2013 @ 8:21 pm   63

I could ramble all day but now ill stop. :D

THE_FORCE 25 January, 2013 @ 8:21 pm   64

Oh and playing an FPS for longer than five minutes makes me chuck my guts up.

gaming has taught me alot about evolution for example as we evolve we get faster smarter and generally more modern and the same thing happens in the world of gaming..as time progresses graphics get better,there becomes new and exciting way to have fun and interact with gaming such as the psp psvita and ps move hardware now available mainstream and it is clear how much gaming has evolved all you need to do to see the huge leap that has taken place is by comparing the ps3 to an arcade console

BADJABEAR 25 January, 2013 @ 8:31 pm   66

I would have to go with my creative writing. I’ve always had a major interest in storytelling, writing scripts and short stories. I’ve always considered myself fairly creative as I’m a songwriter in my spare time but I found myself coming with ideas for games and short stories in abundance after playing games like final fantasy X, with its tragic love story underpinning the whole length of the ‘save the world’ storyline. Another example is the way Assassins creed taken history and spins it to create a stunningly immersive take on our world, our culture and history to tell a brilliant story.

Ive found this really inspiring and I’m in the process of writing a script now – who knows – with a little luck and a lot of hard work you might get to see it someday!

Dark Souls gave me PATIENCE!!

I no longer cuss myself and everyone around me while waiting for the bus. LOL! Thank you From Software.

DoYouLikeMyID 25 January, 2013 @ 8:34 pm   68

Well, I’ve actually written a 5-page essay on that exact subject, some years ago. (I got an A, btw)

Growing up, the majority of the video games I played were with english speech, so anytime I had to figure out what to do or say in a video game, I would have to figure out what it all meant. Thus, from an early age I began learning english. I might not even have been able to write this comment, if it weren’t for video games, they basically taught me the english language.

One day in math class we played a “math-computer-game”, on a floppy disk (Floppy disks? Anyone?) Anyway, in the game, you play as a prince, whom has to save a princess, (how original), but there’s a twist, you need 10000 kr. (dkk) to do so. So you start with 1000 kr. and you have to travel across the country to buy stuff, then sell it other places around the country for a profit. Meanwhile, (this is where the math comes in) you have to keep accountance of your money to be able to see what you have to trade with. A simple game, but yet it managed to keep my attention in a way that it actually got me interested in math.

In my opinion, it’s possible to learn something from pretty much any video game, and the same thing goes for life in general, too.

What video games have taught me that I can use in real life?
-Wounds will heal if you just leave them unattended for a while
-No matter how long you’ve been in water, you’ll became dry instantaneously
-Ammuntion is inexpensive and can be found anywhere
-Boxes always contain useful things
-Pure gold is the most common for of currency and accepted internationally
-The more ridiculous the clothes you wear, the better stats you’ll have
-Cardboard, glass, thin layers of metal and wood, along with anything your not using, are all bulletproof
-AI, no matter how trustworthy, will at one point become murderously evil
-Scientists understand any problem and can make anything from computers to weapons on their own
-Hats made of felt protect your head from bricks
-The slowest of animals can reach supersonic speeds within eight seconds
-Storage is only limited to the size of the alternate dimension in your unit, and not the unit itself
-Drinking mysterious red liquids and eating decade old food promotes health

But the most important thing is, if you, you can always respawn.

Probably, throughout my life, games have gradually taught how to be part of a greater community, i mean, since the good old splitscreen gaming on my ps2, games have been a common interest between me and friends, and as the online age really kicked in, the sheer size of the gaming community is incredible! With gaming conventions, betas artwork, indie games and even competitions, like this one! :D the gaming community is ever growing and ever getting better, and im glad to be part of it!

XnoobsquadX 25 January, 2013 @ 8:54 pm   71

killin zombies efficiently for when the zombie apocalypse begins!
quote from a bibel
Their people will become like walking corpses, thier flesh rotting away. Their eyes will shrivel in their sockets, and their tongues will decay in their mouths. On that day they will be terrified, stricken by the Lord with great panic. They will fight against each other in hand-to-hand combat

Nazar_Ops 25 January, 2013 @ 9:05 pm   72

English and Patience.

I have been a gamer probably since i was 5 years old. And through all the years that have passed, I’ve learned English. And i actually improve my language further on. I can encounter new words sometime, which i never heard about before.

What i have also gained is Patience. I used to get angry a lot when i failed in games.

doomsday619 25 January, 2013 @ 9:22 pm   73

Games have taught me the following pedestrians are safe that i don’t drive in real life.
I should never EVER tryout for X Factor.
World war 2 was bad but think ourselves lucky as America had it worse with an alien invasion.
And finally the best life lesson from gaming is always make sure your children wear the strap for the move controller cos it bloody hurts getting smacked in the head by one flying through the air.

Project2insanity 25 January, 2013 @ 9:24 pm   74

Finger-guns are cool. You’d be surprised how few people use this technique. After seeing Revolver Ocelot in MGS3, I was finally one of them.

Dramatically walking away is another. FFVII really drilled that in. That Sephiroth was ahead of his time.

So in short, the advanced movement tutorial for life which parents don’t teach when you’re learning the basic movement tutorial which involves walking, picking items up, etc.

ExtremeGamer1995 25 January, 2013 @ 9:46 pm   75

LA noire taught me how to know if someone was lying

Azurewraith1 25 January, 2013 @ 9:57 pm   76

the biggest thing games have taught me is wether your a superhero or a god if some one jumps in the sea you just have to stand there and wait for them to come out as for whatever reason you never learned to swim

My concentration skills have been greatly improved through some of the games I’ve played, like the fast paced games “Treasures of MsB” (Playstation vita), Portal 2 (mostly about patience), puzzles in games like Zelda, Uncharted, Darksiders, God of War. Dante’s inferno and Tomb Raider! :-)

silent_strike95 25 January, 2013 @ 10:09 pm   78

What have games taught me?

Guitar.

If I never picked up the first guitar hero, I never would have never become interested in guitar at a younger age. I must have practiced every song until I could just about get through on expert.
Now with Rocksmith, I can not only practice with songs I never thought I would have been able to try, but also learn new techniques and further learn how to play my real guitar.

So thank you Guitar hero for getting me interested in something I never thought of doing before.

Tsubaki_14 25 January, 2013 @ 10:13 pm   79

Quite a lot actually; the most obvious are driving skills (I am horrible at parking but really good at the actual driving part :D) and reading maps. Other than that I am guessing my strong focus on details, seeing beyond what’s at face value (much needed skill in strategy games) and very VERY quick reflexes all attribute to my having been gaming since I was but 3 years old. Growing up on it tends to have a lot of effects on you both on personality and skills, I don’t think I can name them all :)

Little_Angle123 25 January, 2013 @ 10:18 pm   80

Games and on the other side, PlayStationNetwork itself,made me learn english for good, since I need english to talk with people.
And ofcourse, I need to know what the game wants me to do. Another thing I leanred, was that I might get some second chances in parts of my life, but after a few, I might lose and have to start over… or can’t even start again.
Some games also made my patience level go higher, which is good to have in your life in my opinion.

burstfire-dragon 25 January, 2013 @ 10:19 pm   81

Gaming has probably taught me most things I know now!
Dark Souls taught me Patience, and to never give up.
Kingdom Hearts taught me to keep a close bond, and look after friends.
Portal has taught me to think outside the box and think everything through.
Resident Evil has taught me that everything is better if you have someone to share your experience with.
Assassin’s Creed has taught me about historical and religeous events.

In short, gaming has taught many things, and I sit back and laugh about how much it has taught me.

anunnakid 25 January, 2013 @ 10:20 pm   82

I’ve gained the ability to get chicks and managed to get lots of high scores.

JordanJesse1997 25 January, 2013 @ 10:24 pm   83

Videogames have taught me the English language! I have to use the language every day for school or to communicate with people. It has taught me so much more than I learn in school. I always turn on English audio and subtitles, even if it’s in dutch.

It also taught me moral choices. Should I kill you just because it’s fun? Of course!

tiago-kun 25 January, 2013 @ 10:52 pm   84

As I play a lot of stuff, I probably got more skills from games than I imagine, problem solving, quick reflexes, determination to achieve my objectives, creative thinking and the list goes on, but I think the most important was to think clearly under pressure and stay calm.

I say this, because a couple years ago, my mom cut her hand pretty badly on a glass cup that broke while she was washing them, at the sight of blood and the pain, both my mother and my sister started panicking, but I kept my cool, washed her hand and put a towel around her and called a cab to take her to the nearest medical center and all went well.

I believe I acted the way I did because of all the difficult time challenges that platformers have like the old crash bandicoot 3 that had time trials to get the ankhs and in some levels that required concentration and calm despite the pressure to do it in time.

Oh and god of war probably helped deal with the sight of blood :P

Lunastra78 25 January, 2013 @ 11:20 pm   85

Demon’s Souls taught me the importance of always holding a big shield directly in front of my face when entering a room. A technique I utilize every day in the office.

geraint09 25 January, 2013 @ 11:40 pm   86

Using a move controller has helped me build up muscle in my arms to helps support my legs whilst using a walking stick and wii fit has helped me develop leg muscle and help keep me keep fit with my disability.

extermin8or_ 25 January, 2013 @ 11:41 pm   87

Faster reactions/ better timing have certainly developed over the years thanks to video games. Certain skills like timing when to act and when to know to wait transfer into the real world. Also knowing when something is a marathon not a sprint and how todo best at it is another skill video games can provide. For example most recently COD’s zombie transit mode isn’t a sprint. The people that try to horde the box at the gas station (1sst stop) end up missing the bus as it moves on and eventually being overrun and dying which has a message for the real world; don’t risk too much for short term gain, just be patient and wait for the longterm gain out of stuff. So patience is the overarching skill games teach- and that’s just waiting for certain games to actually be released ;)

playmartelli 25 January, 2013 @ 11:42 pm   88

Okay this is the way I see it. Each game is like learning a new set of attributes within the game’s interface. You have to think differently to each new game you play. I’ve really seen transferable skills when I’m using other non gaming programs, like Sketchup, Achicad, creative suite (for my work), video editing etc, or even messing around with my mac problem solving. I can get into these programs with more patience as I always want to see the games I play through to the bitter end, like I did with Demon/ Dark Souls.

So yeah, I don’t think anyone should underestimate the value of gaming as long as it doesn’t take over your life.

ashton_philip 26 January, 2013 @ 12:01 am   89

Not to try and find the key to Shambhala, Don’t go into the a lab with ‘Apeture’ posted on the side, that I should lookk out for the Fal’cie,and that we probably shouldn’t make Metal Gears!

But on a more serious note I believe games as a media are so versatile in what they portray and some games, particularly The Walking Dead and Heavy Rain put you in a situation and say ‘how would you react if x or y happened’ it almost always gives food for thought. Plus the excellence of thatgamecompany’s Journey with a message of companionship , its a game that actually made me realise I’m not as antisocial as I thought! Some call gamers ‘antisocial’ but I believe in the current climate of how social gaming has become whether its inviting the friends over for PS Allstars or playing through Heavy Rain alone it can actually help to develop social skills!

Can’t really say that videogames taught me any singificant physical skills, but still… they did teach me several things.
Persona games show that even though friends may leave u at some point, they’re still your friends and your ties are not that easy to break.
Lemmings teach you that by working together even the smallest can achieve their goal.
Just like any other media videogames can’t really teach you how to shoot or drive, but if they make u understand smth, then their goal is already pretty much achieved.

Wait a year before buying a game – if it isn’t half price in a red box it probably isn’t worth owning. If it’s less than half price then it really isn’t worth owning.

k1ll1ng5pr33-NL 26 January, 2013 @ 1:08 am   92

The English language. Learned most of it by playing games and watching TV. English was one of the easiest subjects at school ;)

Patience. When I was a kid, I could quickly lose my temper. (Looking at your Tekken 1. heihachi is a cheater!). But I never lose my temper again. (I do lose it on the ‘inside’ sometimes though :p No controller was ever hurt!)

Probably some faster reflexes.

And how to carry a few hundred items in my pockets/on my back.

AeonsDead 26 January, 2013 @ 1:12 am   93

Video games have taught me that adventuring can spell the end for your knees.

Dreadnoughtw 26 January, 2013 @ 1:19 am   94

patience and quick reflects

also never to give and that hope is the last thing to die

NEVER trust a women! (Dead Space) They will make you crazy and leave you with nothing!

another_gamer195 26 January, 2013 @ 3:30 am   96

Videogames.. meaning playstation/console games haven’t taught me nothing really, that is nothing i cannot say books, tv shows, films and theathre/concerts Haven’t done, Have been racking my brain trying to find a answer to a question that maybe should of been asked., What have videogames taught me that is unique, which i am sorry to say i Still cannot find a good enough answer. I wish That would of been your question as i would of liked to read the (good) replies/thoughts on That one. I agree they’ve helped people, like the posts have claimed, unfortunately i can allways see a alternative method for every answer. as well as the realistic ones. for instance a user claims he learnt history, from a AC game, i really hope he means the write ups of the various buildings and other factual lessons. Not the bias views of the devs, some answers are funny, though theres only so many of those one can read before it gets stale. a opportunity missed imo.. But i will scan through more replies in the hopes of seeing a unique, or best example answer. guess i won’t be winning this week ?.. still, i played few chapters of Baynetta couple years back, Also i would love to know what game HRM learnt off, anyone know ?.

another_gamer195 26 January, 2013 @ 3:33 am   97

wishes for edit feature. theatres. other mistakes.

Games have taught me to be attentive to detail, patient, and that any case can be brought to the end, if you make enough effort for it.

I was recently driving with my wife in the heavy snow and came around a corner to find a stationary car lying horizontal across both lanes of the road. With very little time to react, I slammed on the brakes and my instinct took over and aimed directly towards the rear of the other car. While I’d like to think that I was protecting my wife by taking most of the impact on the drivers side, subconsciously I think my hours of time crashing through police roadblocks on Need For Speed: Most Wanted have taught me to always aim for the boot of a car to survive. Fortunately, no one was injured, and the collision swung the other car round so it was no longer causing an obstruction while we waited for assistance. Who says crime doesn’t pay?!

If i beat up the prostitute after i have paid for her services i can get my money back….. hey there not always good skills…

MrTurtIe 26 January, 2013 @ 6:58 am   101

helped me with math and spelling

I wrote an article for school, 13 years ago or so, about the good things in violent videogames. I learned myself social skills, the ability to listen and trust others (strangers in most cases), the ability to react to your instinct, tactics and motor skills.

All this from the early releases of counterstrike :D

Lymmusic 26 January, 2013 @ 8:17 am   103

I have lightning-quick thumbs… And i have also learned a lot about japanese culture

parttous 26 January, 2013 @ 8:18 am   104

Most important of my skills that video games have taught me might sound weird, but I learned how to speak proper english because i started to play them when i was very young. In video games you often hear fluent and beautiful english and many different accents of the language. That’s how you learn to speak it. And if you kep the dialogue subtitles on, you can learn how to write it. I often amuse my friends by speaking different english accents, like scottish, australian and different kinds of english and american accents. I have of course also use my language skills when visiting other countries and english has also helped me learn other languages too, like swedish and german. And it’s not just me! There is actually a debate in my country that english lessons and tests should be made harder because boys’ grades have risen so much over the past decade.

tommythecoat 26 January, 2013 @ 8:23 am   105

That buried some where deep inside of me is a burning rage!

unboltedgamemad 26 January, 2013 @ 8:36 am   106

Survival and life

fatalityPL 26 January, 2013 @ 9:19 am   107

Games taught me some things:
-americans always are good and russians are bad
-knife is better than gun
-princesses got a lot of castles
-If you want to be an adventurer, never took an arrow in the knee

kralik2288 26 January, 2013 @ 10:37 am   108

Well, killing pigs and being awesome is my daily routine, so I think that the game that taught me the most was Duke Nukem 3D. Anyway, I learned many interesting skills that I use a lot from Tetris, because when I am playing with my son with LEGO, it cannot be better and we always make something very interesting – like a cube. Games can teach you many different things, but trust me – true life-changers are Duke Nukem and Tetris.

Mortal Kombat has taught me Chiropractic Adjustment techniques through its X-ray moves. For some reason my patients never seem as lively afterwards as the people in Mortal Kombat. (Pro-tip: Don’t shout “Fatality” at the patients until they’ve paid)

Racing games have also taught me how to recover from a skid – very useful right now, with all the snow.

DoubleDriveX 26 January, 2013 @ 10:46 am   110

Fighting games such as Tekken and Mortal Kombat made me think of cool moves/combos/locks for my karate/kickboxing training where my sensei/trainer would ask if I gotten extra practice somewhere.

Besides those gaming skills I also learned to set priorities considering games can get very addicting!

TheSwordUserYT 26 January, 2013 @ 10:48 am   111

English.

Well, not the video games by themself, but they definitely gave me a reason to properly learn it at school.

ali-07id 26 January, 2013 @ 10:51 am   112

A-LL3BH 7LOH JDAN

Atinetro 26 January, 2013 @ 12:09 pm   113

I would actually say to not give up, despite what may be faced against you. That can be true in both the plot’s within each game AND the gameplay itself. If a certain method does not work multiple times, change your strategy! As Vaas (Far Cry 3) has told us, doing the same over and over again would be “the definition of insanity”.

I’ve actually recently used this, having been made redundant from my place of work. In looking for other jobs, I was just simply handing out CV’s, hoping for the best, and after not hearing anything back, I changed my approach. Straight away, I was hearing back from places, agencies, you name it!

Still unemployed as of yet though…

Shinoda_2qx 26 January, 2013 @ 12:39 pm   114

Video games have taught me to always keep a friend or sidekick, they can soak up the pressure while you think of an exit strategy, or revive you when you’re down.

Treasure isn’t the be all and end all, it’s about the journey, and if you’re a good guy, you can get the girl even without money!

Also, never to give in. No matter how many times you fail, you can try again, and when you finally achieve what you want, it makes that sense of satisfaction even sweeter!

Finally, trophies and accolades are great, but having fun, meeting new people, and making new friends is greater!

English language (to some extend), patience, reflexes and skill to find things that are off the norm. What more? I have a lot of friends, that are also fascinated by games, so we have a lot of topics to talk about everyday. It is a way of life.

I hope these aren’t transferable skills that you would put on your CV coz if so i wud be screwed.

ghostgeet 26 January, 2013 @ 1:50 pm   117

After playing the resident evil series over the years I’ve learnt invaluable skills such as:
Equipment organisation: Now my cupboards are arranged as if I have OCD!
Spacial awareness: I’m always peeking round the corner to see who’s there before I walk anywhere!
Herbology: I regularly eat handfuls of oregano and dried red peppers the taste isn’t that good but I sure feel healthy!
Working as a team: I’m forever trying to boost people up to hard to reach places, I offered to boost up an old lady yesterday as she couldn’t reach the top shelf in the supermarket… she refused unfortunately.

neutronbomb 26 January, 2013 @ 2:24 pm   118

Gaming is the ultimate tutor.
I learned literally everything there’s to know about the war of independence from Assassins creed 3, thus allowing me to bore my loved ones to tears with my wisdom. As it turns out, none of them knew it was all over ancient alien artifacts either.

In 2012; Black ops 2 taught me harsh lessons on the battlefield where I learnt that, if ever ww3 brakes out, then I must remember that I really need to find a good sniper rifle and a good place to set up camp. Somewhere like a bush, behind a crate of pallets or the roof of a parked up train are all as good a place as any other.
Another lesson learnt was that I must remember that if I’m ever to save the world from bloodthirsty ancient dragons, it’s a good idea to make haste. Don’t under any cicumstances spend 6 months wandering the hills of skyrim gathering herbs and spices.
But most of all gaming has taught me that one day the zombie apocalypse will happen – it’s coming people – but I’ll be ready for it. I’m gonna be a swearing in Samoan like the folks from dead island, have girly boy hair just like Leon Kennedy and, while snapping photos of the undead, I’ll look great in my cheerleaders outfit as I rev my trusty chainsaw.

My gaming has taught me that the women in my life nag more
Atari 2600-my mum nagging
Nes/master system-again my mum
Mega drive/snes-again my mum
Ps1-1st ex gfriend
Ps2-2nd ex gfriend plus current 1
Ps3/vita current mrs and my 2 daughters nagging
Lesson not learnt after 20 odd years

declan__watson 26 January, 2013 @ 3:20 pm   120

Hello Fred
Great weekend debate for my first game-
Hitman-Hitman has taught me that there is an agent 47 in all of us. The sheer tence and pressure of the game makes it so special, it has taught me also that there is an assasin in all of us. :)

Infamous-Infamous has taught me that everyone can be a friend or foe as we witmesed in Infamous 2 where at the end there was an evil and nice mission. Evil one was cole turmed on his best friend to fight with the beast(John White) and the nice was where cole took his own life my draining all his powers and curing the plague. :) I think sony should make Infamous into a film its very cool and very like spiderman. :) ;)
LongLivePlay

Skykid360 26 January, 2013 @ 3:27 pm   121

First thing that came to mind was Rules. I’ve never been a huge fan of certain Sports, such as Golf, American Football & Basketball.

Games got me into them, more importantly helped me understand the Rules. Eagle on a Par 4? Eh? 1st & 7? What the heck is that? Back-court Violation? This never occurred in the Playground. So i can safely say that video games taught me a lot about the Sports i didn’t take much interest in, but now, i quite like to watch them in real life.

Also, i am hoping it will be teaching me how to play the Guitar, just got Rocksmith over the Holidays, so far it is murdering my fingers! Ouch!

Also, some quick ones:

Fun is the be all and end all, if your not having it playing certain video game, what’s the point?

Online is a mixed bag, but in a lot of the Mainstream shooters you get a lot of selfish idiots. Stick to a great Story and you’ll never be disappointed (Uncharted/Zelda/MGS – hopefully Ni No Kuni when i get my hands on it).

Finally, Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, sometimes it’s best to leave it in the past, with those wonderful fond memories. Bringing it up can tarnish said memories at times, although i have just picked up the Final Fantasy Games to relive on my Vita this week.

Of all the things that video games have taught me, from how to never give up, and that there is always a hidden workaround and the way to save the princess, the most important life lesson, and one that is very important in everyday life is…

That video games have almost certainly taught me, one of the most influential lessons that I have learned…. What to do when we are faced with a zombie apocalypse.

MGS4 taught me how to cook eggs. But generally games taught me english. I’m not sure about speaking and writing, but i understand very well thanks to them.

Mattbrad 26 January, 2013 @ 4:31 pm   124

They’ve taught me to always aim for the head and look in all the containers possible for loot.

Nightmareofkaito 26 January, 2013 @ 4:39 pm   125

to work at long repetative tasks whilst still maintaing a high level concentration, for example leveling up in rpgs has tought me how to grind in real life, say I had to scan document’s into an online system then I could do it on auto pilot with no errors as I can pretty much concentrate on all aspects of the task as I learned to concentrate on numbers in a half asleep state.

I reckon Ridge Racer helped me understand how to control a skid in the car. It came in very handy one day when the backend of my car slipped out on some ice as I went round a roundabout. Granted I was doing a somewhat lesser speed that I drifted in Ridge Racer but the theory of getting the car under control quickly was the same.

Playing Tetris also helped me romp through a visual section of an IQ test. It was a project by an honours student at my uni and he was amazed at how quickly I completed the test with a 100% score.. especially after my results from part 1! This test was just like playing Tetris on paper.

Catkiller1 26 January, 2013 @ 6:29 pm   127

Videogames have taught me that there are alot of arrogant teenagers out there, who like to mouth off when playing Call Of Duty titles!

You just have to ignore the simpletons!

KoopaTim 26 January, 2013 @ 6:47 pm   128

If there is ever a zombie apocalype, I’d say I’m sorted. Many hours of Dead Island prepared me for that. If I’m ever in trouble the LEGO games taught me there is always something you can build to solve the problem, Ratchet and Clank taught me that strange guns are always a pro. Assassin’s Creed showed me that high places are the place to go for clues and answers, Need For Speed imprinted the “faster is always better” and Bioshock taught me to stay away from water.

RoninDennis 26 January, 2013 @ 7:03 pm   129

Okay, a lot of responses are ironic, but I’ll give you an honest reply with the risk of sounding like a pedant.

I always say that my three sources of education have been TV, videogames (been gaming since MSX), and metal/rock music. School did nothing for me. These three taught me, or inspired me to educate myself, about mythology, religion, philosophy, scientific ideas, and general weird facts.

But we’re talking about transferable skills for every day life here. Well, my skill is critical, creative thinking. A lot of my philosophy lessons are built around popular videogames. For example, last year I used Assassin’s Creed as a venue to creatively explore the conflict between freedom and order and the justification of violence. Another example, The Sims as an exploration of the free will problem, or Metal Gear Solid for social reality theories.

I’ve seen a lot of kids who are bored in school (like I used to be) getting excited about creative thinking when they begin to see what lies beneath the video game. And that’s just cool!

Toxxilly 26 January, 2013 @ 7:15 pm   130

The one, most important thing gaming have thought me is that just because you can play guitar in real life (and being owner to a few) does not mean that you can kick your friends asses when it comes to virtual guitar shreding! Wich is something you can only learn one way… Oh and that patiens pays of in the end.

declan__watson 26 January, 2013 @ 7:17 pm   131

Hi Fred
Playing the Dust 514 beta and just thougjt of somthing.
Sony should buy CCP the creators of Dust 514, give the company over to Sony Online Entertainment who are popular for making some of the grwatest MMO franchise in the world like PlanetSide, Free realms, DC universe and then make dust 514 for pc gamers. Sony are a really strong gaming company for MMOs and I believe CCP and EVE online (who if you bought CCP you would be able to get exclusive bonuses for gamers) would be a wonderful edition to tge Sony Online Entertainment family and also means MORE MONEY for Sony The World Is In Play ;)

AlthalusFIN 26 January, 2013 @ 7:50 pm   132

Well,the only reason i can keep playing games is (according to my wife)it keeps your hands dexterous….

Beatnuki 26 January, 2013 @ 8:06 pm   133

I learned tons of cultural stuff from videogames, like history and the like, from games like Civilization. But what games have taught me a great deal tends to revolve around lateral thinking, problem solving and so on.

Most valuably though, somehow games have got me out of my shyness shell that so afflicted me growing up, which is ironic considering the ‘socially awkward’ image gamers sometimes get! I love Monkey Island, and when playing the Special Editions on my PS3 I realised Guybrush pretty much ambles up to anyone and cheerfully says whatever’s on his mind, even if he’s never met them before.

Like Guybrush Threepwood, I’m a small spindly childish blonde guy who thinks he’s more important than he actually is… so I found ambling up to people and burbling whatever’s on my mind has actually made me rather well-liked by people in the community for some reason. I won’t ask why, in case anyone notices I’m getting away with it.

All I’m waiting for now is for augmented reality glasses that have a real-life witty dialogue tree in the lenses, so I’ll definitely never run out of anything to say ever again. Make it happen Sony! ;)

dmc4_nadeem 26 January, 2013 @ 8:13 pm   134

It has helped me in every way … How?? Here is how & why -

It has been scientifically proven that playing games will make your reflexes fast. Almost or I can say every game has some events which force you to take some decision instantly.. whether it is ages old Contra (which direction to shoot first) or the latest trend called QTE (GOW , RE6, DMC).

Having said this, I know gaming has made my mind sharper and helped me in making better decision in day to day life. Whether its driving or making professional decision, or planing in advance for your strategy.

supersmith2500 26 January, 2013 @ 9:44 pm   135

One thing that helps me learn from Video Games. Patience! Every game has that formula and that skill is required in order to progress through the game and it helps me to learn to be patient alot, no matter if there’s something in your way like an enemy AI or an obstacle just wait for him to move out of that way and it will be safe to progress through just like waiting for the green man at the road. I mean if you be impatient however you’ll just fail and have to restart again so Patience is the key in video games. And trust me, patience in video games helps me to be patient.

BluSpykz 26 January, 2013 @ 9:48 pm   136

I was going to say “Nothing” – what COULD a (non-educational) game teach you?

Then I got to thinking about the types of game I play/ Games that need grit, determination, and am 100% able to say I am more focused and dedicated in work I do outside of gaming, since I became a gamer.

tweelinkje 26 January, 2013 @ 10:57 pm   137

I learned how to juggle someone when fighting, but its very difficult :)

jadehare 27 January, 2013 @ 12:53 am   138

All my base are belong to SingStar.
Lasers are very accurate – remaining focused in life is a good thing.
Smoke kills – if I throw too many smoke grenades my teammates will let me know ASAP.
Go Fast! – the need for speed but also that braking is not the same as going in reverse.
If my objective is behind armored cover, I’m going to need a bigger gun or use an EMP – sometimes it’s best to approach things from a different angle.

Ishan_The_King 27 January, 2013 @ 7:53 am   139

I’m 23 now and its safe to say I’ve invested 1/3rds of my age playing video games, but not just enjoying them, even learning from them.

Apart from the numerous indirect physiological benefits I have experienced from playing these games, one that stands out and has probably affected my life for the better, is an obvious improvement in my English language vocabulary, diction and speech.

My mother tongue is not English, and almost nobody in my family speaks in English, but the international language is important to learn. As a young boy I was timid, just too shy of joining any English-training institutes. But having played video games since the age of 5, and later from the PS1 era as games graduated from generic hack-and-slash and side-scrolling to story-telling, I really started to pay attention and learn.

Now I never have to keep English subtitles on! Games have definitely helped build a better me…

ff_manic 27 January, 2013 @ 10:00 am   140

Logical thought process & how to survive a Zombie Apocalypse! :P

winged_one 27 January, 2013 @ 10:46 am   141

For me it was driving, having to stay alert and notice the smallest movements and far off objectives in FPS games really helps you to stay alert and helps your peripheral vision pick up important shapes.

myway123 27 January, 2013 @ 12:08 pm   142

that life is just 1 big game and you got to work your way up the pecking order

Singstar made me realize I can actually sing.
And now I’m the president of the choir of my university.

Thanks Sony!

PS: Now’s the time to release some Paul Simon songs on the Singstore…

Well, Tekken’s 3 mini-game Tekken Ball taugh me how to make volleyball or goal-keeping look cool.
Also Gon, the little dinossaur bonus character, taught me that farts can be quite effective as a weapon. Once you get the gist of it, it’s more handy than you may think.

Also, gaming rule 101: in case of zombies (or any other nasty enemy), aim for head.

dark_angel69 27 January, 2013 @ 2:44 pm   145

Skills I got from video games are:
– Violent video games has helped give less fear of being hurt. Can do things now which I couldn’t before due to fear. They have also improved my awareness and to be more caution with my surroundings.
– Car games have helped with driving on the opposite side of the road. lol
– Puzzle games has helped improved my memory and gets the brain working hard. Improves problem sloving
– LA Noire, a step closer to being a human lie detector
– Co-op games has improved my skill as a team player not to keep the ammo and med packs for myself but to share them with the partner to win.
– Horror games learn how to survive if any zombies or whatever tries to eat me. lol
– Rocksmith improved my guitar kills a lot. Can play much better now when I know more chords
– Games that has heights (Infamous, prototype, etc) help face the fear of heights better. Even sometimes in games it can seem scary but in reality it seems to make heights seem less scary

i_am_locust 27 January, 2013 @ 2:44 pm   146

Videogames have taught me how to push someone’s buttons.
Get it? Pushing someone’s b… Ah never mind…

Sutorcen 27 January, 2013 @ 6:22 pm   147

I was about to write what video games have taught me that I can implement in everyday life… then I took an arrow to the knee.

nicolajNN 27 January, 2013 @ 6:42 pm   148

Not being a native English speaker video games helped in me leaning to read, write, speak and understand English. I started playing games in English very early, and I believe it helped me a lot, to the point where I’m now studying linguistics, with a focus on English, at university.

A man smoking a cigarette could look cool outside but inside he is full of sorrows, its not good for health, so no smoking for me. Snake taught me that.
Rushing will get you no where in critical situations, patience is fine but you usually dont have that much time in these kinds of situations, above all its right timing. Monster Hunter taught me that.
I maybe a criminal but you cant judge me from my past but only from what Im actually doing. Lee Everett taught me that.
Im no God, Im no superhero, Im no superhuman Im just a mere human being. All videogames taught me this !!!

DAYDANNY666 27 January, 2013 @ 7:46 pm   150

How to use a potty mouth and become a cave boy!

uncleniccius 27 January, 2013 @ 10:21 pm   151

The only skill I’ve really learnt is to do with reactions. I really do react to things much faster than I used to.

OzIceman79 27 January, 2013 @ 11:00 pm   152

when you die you respawn at your last save point.

hfred123 27 January, 2013 @ 11:13 pm   153

“If at first you don’t succeed; do something else [for a while]”

Sometimes, if I get stuck in a game after repeatedly trying to get through the level/stage/boss fight etc. it helps to do something completely different. For example grabbing something to eat.

Knowing this, it has helped me outside of video games as well. If I get stuck while writing a paper/essay, I’ll take a break and come back to it with [hopefully] new ideas.

legga001 27 January, 2013 @ 11:22 pm   154

Farcry 2 taught me that no matter how beat up your car is, pop the bonnet and start tightening screws and it’ll be fine again in no time

joel123lee 28 January, 2013 @ 1:12 am   155

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Westenfeldt 28 January, 2013 @ 6:13 am   156

Video games helped me become better at English than my schools ever had ;)

LoneHawk89 28 January, 2013 @ 7:17 am   157

The english language. =)

In Finland very, very few games actually have finnish translation. Not even a finnish subtitles. Everything was only in original english language.

And because of this, as a kid, I really had to study to understand english, so I could continue to accomplish given tasks and missions in the game.
I bough a dictionary, and translated every sentence in game. Word by word.

Even the english lessons in schools weren’t this effective.

=)

Wooouter 28 January, 2013 @ 12:24 pm   158

Metal gear solid on the ps1 changed my view on life.

monoliet 28 January, 2013 @ 12:30 pm   159

1= to relax mi self , after hard day work :)
2= some history
3= faster reaction
4= i am not best but also not worst in games ore tings i do .
5= The english language ( speaking – understending )
6= try again + not give up essy

StarGazeeren 28 January, 2013 @ 1:51 pm   160

Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game

fauxtronic 28 January, 2013 @ 6:19 pm   161

Oh wow. Thank you!

I must confess that I only originally read the headline and responded to that because I was in a rush. Then I returned later, read the full article and wished I’d provided a bit more information because I realised it was for a competition.

So nice to win something without really trying. Thank you again!

MarSSteR 28 January, 2013 @ 6:54 pm   162

Motorstorm Pacific Rift:

“ONLINE Racing for up to 12 players” stays on my Game, but there is no server online WTH!!!? So lame…

Miro33no 28 January, 2013 @ 6:58 pm   163

10 things that i was taught by video games that should be used in real life:
1) What cant be solved with words can be solved with fists
2) Gravitation may be your worst enemy (aka. falling hurts)
3) I should never attack wild animals unarmed and naked
4) Touching anyone (or anything) may kill me (toothless fruits, hearts, coins and diamonds are allowed to be touched without a risk)
5) Taking cover is very helpful to survive (especially on math lessons)
6) Always break empty vases and barrels, there may be some money inside (too bad that empty vases and barrels are now rare, those greedy people broke em all xD)
7) What cant be solved with fists can be solved with a huge (most suitably two-handed) weapon
8) I can walk forever without getting tired, but after running just for a while, I need to take a break from how exhausted I became (this one is actually true for me xD)
9) Dont steal. Stolen things are hard to sell, and if someone would see you with that, you are in trouble
10) Always look for shady vendors in dark alleys, they sell something valuable and interesting all the time (But never get the “White Magical Powder”, it tastes disgustingly !)

Games teach English better than English teachers :)

Terarded 28 January, 2013 @ 9:01 pm   165

seriously? i was under the impression that winners would be chosen based on ‘The top five most entertaining responses’ as the post says. not who can give the corniest answer. i checked almost all of the winners posts out and they arent entertaining. one of the winners talked about how guitar hero made him better at music. in what world is someone being better at guitar entertaining? ive seen far better responses in other posts.

so to who ever makes this blog, next time you ask for a specific type of answer make sure its accurate. if you want an entertaining one, ask for an entertaining one. if you want a corny one ask for a corny one. i could have listed at least 15 different skills and how they have helped me in specific situations but i chose to write my most entertaining response on hopes of winning.

dont get me wrong, im not saying that in terms of entertainment my post was worthy of winning, but i feel cheated knowing that because i followed what was asked i didnt even have a chance.

iantheclover 28 January, 2013 @ 11:08 pm   166

good timing

jessie091891 2 February, 2013 @ 12:56 pm   167

I learned how to find ways to kill your enemy.