Posted 3:00pm

Hitman: HD Trilogy steps out of the shadows and onto PS3

Hitman HD Trilogy on PS3

The release of Hitman: HD Trilogy this week on PS3 and PlayStation Network brings Hitman: Blood Money onto the PlayStation format for the first time. With it come two additional classic Hitman games – Silent Assassin and Contracts.

More than anything else IO Interactive has created in the past decade and a half, Hitman has been the defining series for the studio. Five titles in the franchise have been released in the last 12 years, across most AAA platforms available within the same time period.

The combination of the assassin fantasy, game mechanics and freedom of choice makes the Hitman series the most original set of games we have made at IO. Nobody had ever really seen a game like Hitman before – not even the developers who were about to create it. It was a game about a stone-cold killer, but with tongue-in-cheek humour to balance the very mature themes in the game.

Hitman HD Trilogy on PS3 Hitman HD Trilogy on PS3

As Tore Blystad, Game Director on Hitman: Absolution, says: “When dealing with such a dark topic… you need something in there to compensate, to make it less cynical. In the start of Absolution development we tried to say that we wanted to make a serious game rather than a funny one, but within days the humour started creeping back into what we did, and instead of getting rid of it we decided to really embrace it for Absolution.”

In many ways, the inherent humour in the Hitman games has been there as a way to balance the very grim, mature themes in the games.

The Hitman games introduced a number of unique gameplay elements including a new type of artificial intelligence, the use of ragdoll physics and the disguise mechanism. Getting those things to work together in a complex system has always been a massive challenge. Crafting the open-ended missions of ‘Codename 47′ along with features such as sniping, disguises and hiding in plain sight took huge amounts of testing and risk-filled development.

The result of this development was a game that was extremely difficult to master, which became a staple of the series. The difficulty was made even more dominant by the fact that the team somehow forgot to include a save game feature for the first game, which meant the experience was a lot more punishing (and, it turned out, a lot more exciting) than most other games at that time. With the games that followed those mechanics and features were further refined.

And then there are all the Easter Eggs. Across all the games there are probably too many to count, but we’re guessing on average it’s probably around 25 in each game. Nobody is really sure because before Absolution, the artists and designers would simply sneak in the Easter Eggs and nobody would really know where they were or who put them there. With Absolution, it all became a little more structured and so things like the Loch Ness Monster, the wearable Blood Money masks, the disco cops, Mini Ninjas references and the appearances of both Kane and Lynch have all been tracked a little better.

Hitman HD Trilogy on PS3

One thing that newcomers to the Hitman experience will learn when playing the HD Trilogy is how versatile the different hits really are in these games. There was always a wish to have Agent 47 travel the world, meet interesting people and execute hits on them. So from Silent Assassin to Blood Money you get to go on a variety of different journeys.

Travel to St. Petersburg, attend the German ambassador’s party and assassinate a Russian general. Visit the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur and take out a Malaysian electronics tycoon in his Jacuzzi. Of course, there’s also the ‘Gator Gang’, a group of drug dealers moving their merchandise from a tourist riverboat on the Mississippi. And you can always finish off in style by saving the President of the United States, on 47′s hardest assignment yet!

Our hope with HD Trilogy is that fans will get to play their favourites over again, and those who just picked up Absolution and can’t get enough of Agent 47 can experience these classic moments for the first time.

Hitman: HD Trilogy will be available for PlayStation 3 later this week, priced £19.99/€29.99.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

33 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Catkiller1 29 January, 2013 @ 3:04 pm   1

Excellent stuff, ill pick this up mid-month in physical form!

Please release Freedom Fighters in HD with trophies etc ;)

European_Gamer 29 January, 2013 @ 3:12 pm   2

Even though I’m Danish I havent played any of the old Hitman games. I’m currently playing Absolution while trying not to get killed too many times.

It’s been far too long agent 47…
Welcome back!

Never played them before, but got absolution in the Christmas sale and thought it was great, so I’ll be getting these!

Why isn’t the first game included? Kind of misses the point of playing a series if i can’t start at the beginning :|

Trophy support? :D

I’m really looking forward to Friday and playing these again. I love replaying the levels just to collect all the weapons and seeing them all nicely placed on the wall.

But with trophies added its an even sweeter deal. ;)

Hi Nick

What will the price be for games individually?

@ ytevo79

Because the first game was only published on pc.

@ alimik95 Yes there is trophy support. I’ve seen the lists for them on PS3trophies.org. :)

vonhammer 29 January, 2013 @ 3:54 pm   10

Will wait until I hear about frame rates and such.

What do you mean with: “bringing Hitman Blood money to the PlayStation format for the first time”? I played Hitman Blood money on the PS2, so that sentence is just plain wrong. Either way, really looking forward to replaying these awesome games for the first time on my PS3 now that I have platinum’d Hitman: Absolution. I just love agent 47. :D

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 29 January, 2013 @ 4:23 pm   12

Do you know what size the games are in GB?
Also, for those interested, if you need any help I’d greatly appreciate it of you could go to my Youtube channel, Ps3GamerVideos, and use walkthrough a from there because I have made a walkthrough for every game.

Anyhow, I will be buying this for PS3 despite owning it on PC, I want a large screen expeience, trophies and the ease of having it in my room. After playing Absolution I’m starting to reconsider my perspective upon the series. My favourite is still 2 but I’m tied between Contracts and Blood Money.

supersmith2500 29 January, 2013 @ 4:45 pm   13

Out tommorow?? No way! I thought these gems would be released later on. Square and IO. I love you now. = )

great games , but why sony + capcom not want to bring hd version of mh3 potabel !!! moast intresting hd remake to miself.

Excellent News ;) + i just wish someone would bring us a ‘TimeSplitters HD Trilogy’ to the PS3 :(

CoolRichy008UK 29 January, 2013 @ 6:04 pm   16

TimeSplitters HD Trilogy int gonna happen cuz the original makers cant be bothered or as i call them **********

CoolRichy008UK 29 January, 2013 @ 8:07 pm   17

the makes of Timesplitters wont make a trilogy because they cant be bothrerd and i heard timesplitters 4 will be for the pc only

EternalChaos72 29 January, 2013 @ 8:19 pm   18

Nick Price, can you release hitman trilogy avatars please?

pillaysteven 29 January, 2013 @ 8:52 pm   19

Current exchange rate… £20 = €23.37. No purchase for me. Will be waiting for a drop in price. Would have been a day one purchase if it was €25 or less. €30 is an absolutely ridiculous price in comparison.

i hope there is the option of buying only blood money, i played the other ones too many times before while BM i never tried. great games the first two, hitman 2 is a classic to me, but a bit old now. Absolution would have been the perfect hitman game if it wasnt for the save/checkpoint system.

they should remake freedom fighters that was an awesome game! cheers

Picking this up after feeling slightly disappointed with absolution, even though I enjoyed the game the linearity just frustrated me. bring on the hardcore nostalgia

Stonesthrow 30 January, 2013 @ 12:10 am   23

I’ve been waiting for this one. Blood money was awesome and the second was good too.

CoolRichy008UK 30 January, 2013 @ 2:13 am   24

i had all of these and they are awsome il deffo be pikcing this up next week and the funny thing is i guessed that the hitman trilogy would be out on the ps store even before they posted about it lol

Lejenko the latest ps3 version of hitman is awsome because when i 1st played it i did one way kills but after a few weeks i can now do the really high score kills and there is a really high score kill in the king of china town ;) not gonna say how you can get a really huge score all il say is try normal mode ;)

THE_FORCE 30 January, 2013 @ 6:37 am   25

Yet another trio of games I’ve got to find the time to play this year. 2013 will be the death of me!

SCOTCHmfCHIEF 30 January, 2013 @ 12:05 pm   26

what day is this in the store. fantastic games, sneaking about under st Petersburg, and in the desert with a super soundtrack.

£20 is an absolute steal for the 3 games

OpenSeaKiller 30 January, 2013 @ 4:20 pm   27

df

JohnDMcClane 30 January, 2013 @ 6:24 pm   28

Am I the only one who hasn’t got this this week? I even type in “Hitman” in the search field without any luck, and it wasn’t in the “New this week” either.

sonofvenom 30 January, 2013 @ 7:36 pm   29

Reasonable pricing for this. Good job all round guys.

TehPhilosopher 31 January, 2013 @ 4:03 pm   30

FINALLY! Best game series of all time. I played them on PC, so really looking forward to playing them on the big screen on a couch.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

kazjumilla1 31 January, 2013 @ 9:16 pm   31

I cant wait until I get 3 shiny new plats

hi , is there a problem with this going on the the store in the uk? its the 1st of feb (release date) and its still not on the store at all, no mention of it on the web store (pc) and the ps3 store .. was hoping to download it at 12pm last nite and wake this morning to a bit of old school hitman but its still not on the store

Jojohn7890 1 February, 2013 @ 5:22 pm   33

Are we certain its 20 quid, Some retailers are charging a much higher price.